[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Barbie Kali Ma!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: Barbie_2126991f.jpg (34 KB, 636x398) Image search: [Google]
Barbie_2126991f.jpg
34 KB, 636x398
Here's your latest /toy/ related outrage for the day!

"Anger over Barbie doll cast as Hindu goddess"

>>http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/world/anger-overbarbie-dollcast-ashindu-goddess/article6448740.ece

>Implying that toy collectors outside the Barbie-sphere wouldn't want such a Rad Babs.
>>
File: jesuschrist.jpg (66 KB, 842x480) Image search: [Google]
jesuschrist.jpg
66 KB, 842x480
>>5556714

This Jesus Ken was also shown at the museum display, (In Rome) with not one condescending Christian voice.
>>
>>5556721

There's also about four or five different version of the Virgin Mary. Again, nobody in Christendom gives a flying fuck, unlike those whiny Hindus.
>>
File: paolini_perelli-sculpture2.jpg (43 KB, 565x240) Image search: [Google]
paolini_perelli-sculpture2.jpg
43 KB, 565x240
>>5556725

(Sarcastic Observation) ...And here's your typical white hetro male cultural appropriating Buddhism. No surprise that he's also a Nazi.
>>
File: poster-barbie.jpg (342 KB, 660x364) Image search: [Google]
poster-barbie.jpg
342 KB, 660x364
Here's the entire rundown of the relgious Babs on display.

Besides the ones previously mentioned, we have Moses, Joan of Arc, St. Sebastian, Baby Jesus, Native American Jesus, St. George & the Dragon, the Grim Reaper...

....And Satan.
>>
>>5556735
>No Mohammed
and here I was hoping for terrorist attacks over fucking dolls
at least there's Baphomet
>>
>>5556750
Mohamed comes in a set with Skipper.
>>
>>5556721
>>5556725
>with not one condescending Christian voice.

..we're talking about Catholics there. It's only natural that the protests in Spain, Italy and I think a bunch of South American nations weren't reported in US media.
>>
>>5556725
Here's (You)

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2015/10/16/virgin-mary-barbies-cause-uproar-in-argentina/

>Artists Pool Paolini and Marianela Perelli are causing a huge stir with their exhibition “Barbie, the Plastic Religion,” which opens to the public in Buenos Aires on Saturday. On display will be around 33 Barbie and Ken dolls, dressed as Catholic icons and saints (including the Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ) and various Hindu deities. Word of the show sparked outrage in the overwhelmingly Catholic country, even causing the exhibit to open a year later than planned, as religious and right-wing groups protested the “offensive” display and the artists received threats. “The brother of a very important priest in Argentina, of the most important church in the country, approached us days before the scandal wanting to buy the Our Lady of Lujan to give to his brother,” Mr Paolini, 32, told The Independent. That’s when the trouble began.
>>
It's shit like this why I can't find a decent articulated Jesus and relegated instead to dollar store crap and the buddy christ statue.
>>
>>5556714
Not gonna lie, a proper articulated figure of Kali would be fucking awesome.

Shame the only likely chance of that happening is if someone made figures based on Smite, and the only companies likely to do it would be NECA, or worse still Funko.
>>
File: Character_Group.jpg (849 KB, 4001x2445) Image search: [Google]
Character_Group.jpg
849 KB, 4001x2445
>>5556796

There was a decent line of 1/6 scale religious figures including Jesus some years back. You probably can still find them at a random Christian bookstore.
>>
>>5556721
This is fucking amazing.
>>
>>5556838
They should make a talking Moses pull-string doll that stutters lines. Imagine so many being returned but customer service saying, 'But ma'am, they're SUPPOSED to stutter. It's biblically accurate.'

Also, Flying Spaghetti Barbie when??
>>
>>5556823
>Neca

gg anon
>>
>>5556735
>no Mormon Jesus

DROPPED.
>>
>>5556796
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=THR10102&mode=retail

Removed the cloth from his arms which IMO hindered articulation. Bretty gud
>>
>>5556735
what is even offensive about these? They're pretty stadard depictions. It's not like some kind of 'piss christ' shit.
>>
>>5557397
The original idea apparently was pointing out that these effigies are being consumed as if they were cheap toys, but the catholics in Argentinia got mad about it and Hindu Nationalists basically took it as another good chance to work on their long-term aim - the destruction of almost all hindu culture.
>>
>>5556735
>Satan
Could be wrong but I think that's actually Baphomet, not Beelzebub there. Could be wrong though. It's doing Baphomet's typical pose
>>
>>5557353
Only one or two of the 3A JCs actually look like his typical depiction though, and I think the ones that do have bandages over one eye. That portable fighting JC with the red robe is pretty cool though.
>>
>>5556752
I am laughing far to hard.
>>
>>5556750
Well, there are no depictions of the prophet in islam (unlike Christianity who for some reason made jesus blue eyed and blonde in the western world and basically tailored him to fit whichever country) so they wouldn't have anything to work off. Muslims have bigger problems than barbies right now anyway.
>>
>>5557653
>and basically tailored him to fit whatever country
Well most Christianity is based off the Roman version, and the Roman Empire's entire religion was designed around reinterpreting shit to smooth over political relations with new groups.
>>
>>5557679
True, I'm mostly saying that besides not really being the point of the exhibit there's no real definable depiction of Mohammad they could imitate, they'd just end up making a man in a turban.
I don't think this display is horrifically offensive, just insensitive. People will always be rude about other peoples religions so it's just something to be expected. People are very rude about Judaism and Islam so some artists being artists isn't something to be especially insulted by, it's par for the course.
>>
>>5556714
>4 armed barbie doll
neat
>>
>>5557348
Isn't that Native American Jesus?
>>
File: Durer_selfporitrait.jpg (93 KB, 801x1116) Image search: [Google]
Durer_selfporitrait.jpg
93 KB, 801x1116
>>5557653
>>5557679

Most portraits of Jesus as a white European are based on the likeness of Albrecht Duer, who was the equivalent of a rock-star charismatic artist during the Renaissance. He was friends with artists Raphael, Giovanni Bellini and Leonardo da Vinci. His books on measurement was a breakthrough on geometry & perspective in architecture & art. He was also by all accounts one handsome hunk of beefcake.

A lot of contemporary artists at the time were greatly influenced by Albrecht's charm, wit, and talents. Thanks to his insights on geometry, many copied his style and his looks from the many self portraits Albrecht made of himself. (The one in the pic his most famous and most Jesus-like.) Since religious icons were the most common themes at the time, it was only natural for charismatic Albrecht's likeness be coupled with the face of Jesus.
>>
>>5557495
You are correct, sir.
>>
People are such cunts
>>
>>5557653
You are wrong.
>>
>>5559006
>>5557653

While some sects of the Muslim faith have Mohammed's face covered by a veil, others have him rocking out with naked face exposed.
>>
>>5557879
Stop. Mormon Time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE
>>
>>5556714
I doubt a barbie is the least of their problems when their religion is based on dbz powerlevels.
>>
>>5559046
Ah, I was mistaken. My parents are muslims and apparently you're not supposed to, but maybe some people do. I know that I've never encountered anyone who shows the prophets face in the UK.
>>
Is it weird that I would want some of these?
>>
>>5556750
apparently because of their "immense respect for islam" and not fear of explosions.
>>
>>5556729
>No surprise that he's also a Nazi
This is sarcasm right?
>>
>>5560539

>(Sarcastic Observation)

Gee, what do think, dumbass?
>>
>>5556735
>Baphomet Barbie
I am IN. Where do I insert my money?
>>
>>5556735
This is fucking bad ass, I want to have these.
>>
>>5559787
Nope. Blue, four-armed Barbie is awesome. Along with the Reaper and Joan of Arc looking one.
>>
>>5556735
Fuck I don't even collect barbies and I need fucking Satan, Kali, and Pontius Pilate.
>>
>>5556735
The St. George and the [kawaii purple] Dragon is killing me.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.