[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bionicle was so cool in the first year. What would have happened
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: s-l300.jpg (18 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
18 KB, 300x225
Bionicle was so cool in the first year. What would have happened if they kept the mysterious lore and never changed the aesthetic, but built on what they had made?
>>
>>5550904
It'd be the same thing
>>
>>5550947
nah the new stuff is trash they threw all the mysticism, mysteriousness out the window. with puffy masks and superhero chests
>>
I found the later figures alright (2006 and 2009 were great years), but the lore lost it's touch I think. 2009 had a chance to do something interesting, but it was gutted pretty quick.
>>
File: h013.jpg (228 KB, 860x1236) Image search: [Google]
h013.jpg
228 KB, 860x1236
>>5550959
>>
>>5550959
They fixed the problem in 2016 at least and those sets end up looking like upscaled old bonkle
>>
>>5551026
nah they're overdesigned af
>>
>>5551035
they look like dc superheros
>>
>>5551037
You look like a DC superhero.
>>
>>5550904
first mistake was releasing different versions of the same character.
And now they've repeated it.
>>
>>5550965
agree with this

the figures themselves looked great, the lore just became to convoluted and generally fucken stupid (mata nui robot)
>>
File: slizer.jpg (381 KB, 2680x1420) Image search: [Google]
slizer.jpg
381 KB, 2680x1420
The better design elements from the first few lines of Bionicle were just descended from the Slizer/Throwbots stuff. The very sparse, framework aesthetic for the robots was very appealing for a lot of us, because it gave the impression of the characters being made of a bunch of cobbled together gears and bits, like you'd constantly be seeing the parts in motion. It was still very invested in the Technic style. The skeletal and minimalist look helped spur the imagination.

With the Nuva stuff and beyond, I think Lego had refined their idea into more of a traditional robot line, which killed some of the personality. The chunkier limb pieces and armor which resembled a stylized chest gave the characters a more defined look. This would continue on through hero Factory, which, along with Bionicle 2015 feels more like buildable action figures rather than figures made out of Lego, if that makes sense.
>>
I liked the collectable mask options a lot which they gave up on.
>>
We wouldn't have gotten Metru Nui so it would all be garbage
>>
>>5550959
He meant the rest of G1, not the reboot.
>>
>>5550904
There weren't any radical changes made to the Bionicle story over the years. They just stretched it out and adapted it for as long as it remained profitable.

But the endgame was always a giant robot.
>>
File: image.jpg (309 KB, 1363x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
309 KB, 1363x1600
>>5550904
>>5551144
>>5553164
>>
File: image.jpg (220 KB, 1600x753) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
220 KB, 1600x753
>>5553166
>>
File: image.jpg (263 KB, 1600x1149) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
263 KB, 1600x1149
>>5553170
>>
great thread
>>
>>5550965
When was the set with the rubberized mask guys where the villains came out first? I remember the yellow dude with the one robot eye being pretty cool.
>>
>>5558217
that was 2006, with the piraka. I really liked them, but a lot of people on 4chan don't seem to have a very high opinion of them
>>
>>5550904
>What would have happened if they kept the mysterious lore and never changed the aesthetic, but built on what they had made?
They did.

Everything up to 2008 was planned from the beginning.
>>
Maybe Bionicle could'v stay at the Mahri saga that was DA BEST!
>>
>>5562932
>makuta being teridex
>planned
lol
>>
>>5562932
>shadowy unseen satan is suddenly just one random member of Villains Incorporated
>not breaking the feel and concept
if it was preplanned, it was planned by a retard.
>>
>>5563680
Guess what Lego is.
>>
Some people tend to point to 2004 for when it "went to shit", but I felt the first Metru Nui year still had some of that mystical feeling, the beautiful and colorful island backdrop was simply changed to a utopistic city. The CGI ads and the Templar animations still had a nice atmosphere and there were interesting places to explore on the new island.

I always saw 2005 as a bigger turning point. The story and presentation losing focus, getting dark very fast, Bob Thompson leaving, refining the design of humanoid titan sets. It was also the first year that didn't take place among nice-looking, inviting sceneries, but in a shithole. 2006 then went on to build on all this, but with better focus.

>>5562932
The first movie already disproves this. All that talk of awakening Mata Nui, which doesn't happen because they probably changed the ending. Other stuff like Vakama's forced betrayal and the reinterpreting of Makuta's character in the book Time Trap weren't planned either from what I know.
>>
>>5563680
Terridax was the strongest Makuta though IIRC.
>>
>>5565823
I thought the Toa Nuva were sent to retrieve the Mask of Life to awaken Mata Nui and got their asses kicked by the Pirahka? Is that not according to the plan?
>>
>>5562932
http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/21987-planned-vs-not-planned-partial-recovery/

I know, it's BZP, but it's relevant. They dug up quotes from Greg on some things that were or weren't planned.
>Bohrok-Kal saga
>2005 as a whole
>Artakha and Karzahni
>Order of Mata Nui
All were later additions by Greg or the higher-ups at Lego. Granted, the latter two didn't have that big of an importance overall.
>>
>>5566495
>Bohrok-Kal saga
>2005 as a whole
The two worst arcs in all of Bionicle. Greg was probably directly in control of both then? Makes sense.
>>
>>5566561
More like he had no say in any of that. First one was Lego realizing they have another toy wave slot to fill, the second was them forcing an extra year on the Bionicle team because they poured too much money into Metru Nui.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.