[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you become a toymaker? I've seen that 1000toys uses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 1456861217225.webm (446 KB, 838x718) Image search: [Google]
1456861217225.webm
446 KB, 838x718
How do you become a toymaker? I've seen that 1000toys uses some sort of program to make a model before casting(?) it.
>>
File: t2-0003l.jpg (603 KB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
t2-0003l.jpg
603 KB, 1440x960
>>5545362
Learn graphic design, 3d modeling and engineering.

also

>When she was a boy.
She was great in T2
>>
You'd think it'd be graphic design, but actually a viable option is industrial design. A lot of the people that were behind the OT Star Wars practical effects and miniatures had backgrounds in industrial design.
>>
>>5545574
>engineering

those rotating joints are indeed a marvel
>>
>>5545586
High end figures and transforming toys do have some impressing designs.
>>
>>5545593
not really

i bet you think comic books are graphic novels
>>
>>5545596
I bet you have no children to share your toys with.
>>
>>5545608
>sharing toys
>>
>>5545362
Be friends with somebody at Hasbro or Mattel. Knowledge, skill, and passion are distant runner-ups.
>>
>>5545627
what about going indie and making high quality stuff in small quantities?
>>
>>5545664
Nobody will care unless you somehow snag the license to a popular franchise. Or are Japanese
>>
>>5545695
doubt it if the work is quality and with smaller quantities you're not catering to general public anyways but collectors etc.
>>
>>5545697
Nobody will care
I and everyone here already has a laundry list of IPs and franchises we want toys for, aside from harvest parts for customs or fill-ins for toylines that are incredibly expensive, nobody gives a shit about "muh OC toys, only 500 exist in the world"
>>
>>5545707
>we
>>
>>5545664
Nobody will care for completely original stuff. The only way to be an independent toy maker is to build up a base by selling recasts or things specifically for customizable lines, like making BJD heads.

For example, I just bought an entirely custom head from a seller on Taobao, but only because I could use it with shinki bodies, and I only even bought from him in the first place because he made recast shinki shit.

If you're one hundred percent custom, you're dead before you start.

>>5545719
Yes. We. This is the overwhelming feeling from society as a whole, much less toy collectors.
>>
>>5545783
Hi, we're the entire internet. Thanks for making assumptions and speaking for us asshat. Try standing up for your own opinions instead of hiding behind us in the future.
>>
>>5545850
>Overcompensating this hard.
Sorry that it's your first week on 4chan and you've been dying for a chance to show that you know we're not supposed to use the word 'we' here.
>>
>>5545857
:^)
>>
It's impossible to be an indie toy maker. Nobody buys original creations unless its hipster vinyl art crap. If you don't have a license for a popular franchise and you create toys, expect legal trouble. I got sent a cease-and-desist from Warner Bros. for selling a few original, custom made Batman sculptures.
>>
>>5546383
fwooshfags literally pulled in almost half a million for their OC ninja stuff.
>>
>>5545863
Give me one possible reason that an entirely original, not-compatible-with-other-toylines indie toy would be at all collectable, or even worth buying at anything more than Wal-Mart price.

No, seriously, give me ons reason why you'd spend $50-$200 dollars on a figure you, and everyone else save the creator, have no vested interested in. You might as well be buying DeviantArt pictures.
>>
>>5545574
i dont know if you ruined T2 for me forever or just made it a little bit better.
>>
>>5546397
It still makes me laugh that the fwoosh put together a successful kickstarter and Play with this Too a company made up of ex-Hasbro employees with years of experience failed twice.
>>
>>5545616

>not playing toys with your kid

avengers vs peppa pig is the funnest shit ever
>>
>>5546685
and you know what? Hasbro are doing better without those very same ex-employees, proving that ditching Aaron Archer was a smart move. Hasbro's been making a lot of smart moves lately. Refusing to make a tie-in toy line to an SJW movie that bombed miserably was another smart move, even Hasbro knew it was destined to bomb because they knew no one wanted that movie made other than the director.
>>
>>5545574
A proper Cameron-directed T3 with Eddie Furlong would be rad. KStew could play his daughter. Also, toys.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.