[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tmg/ Toy Makers General: Wax Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Didnt see one up, so thought I would post

What are you making?

What tips have you found?

>inb4 3d printing shitposters
>>
>>5541821
I guess I would start with a question.

I just decided to start working with wax, because I dont like the shrink on clay.

Has anyone used wax before? I was planning on just buying some freeman flakes, but this is my first time working with wax, so I dont want to waste money seeing as how premade waxes are freaking crazy expensive.
>>
Finally, a good thread.
I've used Aves apoxy but would love to try wax. Any good tutorials out there?
>>
>>5541852
I have seen this, which I thought was pretty solid, but I just cant see myself spending upwards of 70 dollars on wax for the recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY3sze2S3Y4

I am half tempted to just buy paraffin candle wax, mix it with talc and try that.
>>
>>5541821
So what's being compared in the OP pic? Wax to clay?
>>
>>5541931
Nah, that, If I am not mistaken is:

Left: Rough Wax Cast made from clay, to be fine tuned(carved and buffed) into the right.

They look like they are both wax to me. The video that I posted here >>5541925
is where i got it from
>>
how would I go about doing copies of a gi joe gun?
>>
>>5541825
I use something called casteline. It is really close to wax as in you can work with it with heated tools. It holds detail pretty well and when cold it is quite solid (not plastic solid, but enough to make molds and later cast it)

Right now im making a skeleton, but I am struggling with the castings, still experimenting with different resins, but it sure is expensive.

Hopefully there will be enough people to keep this thread going. The customs one just became a shitposting nightmare.
>>
>>5541970
I don't know why you would even want to cast a gi joe gun in wax, it would be very fragile to handle, I would recomend to sculpt whatever you want to sculpt with wax on top of the original gun, then create a silicone mold (I use smooth on oomoo 25 ) and then cast it with in resin with smooth cast 300.
>>
I was trying to make replacement parts for my g1 transformers a whole back but got too discouraged. I did have some success with bigger parts, but I was using rubber and resin over wax.
>>
How is the lost wax process done with plastic? I can see it with metal but not plastic.
>>
>>5542046

Yeah, I was honestly thinking about trying a mixture of paraffin, talc and beeswax, because I just cant afford 100 dollars dedicated to fucking wax.
>>
Any clay I've tried just melts and forms in your hand while you're holding onto it and trying to carve a different part. Carving tiny intricate things out of clay just doesn't seem to work.
>>
>>5542406
After you make a mold you can reuse wax just be melting it in a pot.
>>
>>5542455
>reuse wax just be melti
I have heard that monster clay is good for holding detail, there are different types of hardness, the same goes for casteline, the hardest one you can literaly carve it once it is cooled off and holds detail really well.
>>
In case someone just wants to see what can be achieved with casteline, this is a photo of a guy that literaly got me started into sculpting action figures. The photo (and talent) is not mine, its from creative beast studios.
>>
>>5542729
And here is another one of the same figure:
>>
>>5542729
I just cant seem to find casteline for the life of me?

Does it go by a different name?
>>
>>5542055
>create a silicone mold (I use smooth on oomoo 25 ) and then cast it with in resin with smooth cast 300.

This whole process I don't know how to do it. Any good wikis? the joecustom one is lacking info.
>>
>>5543229
When you find instructionals, follow them carefully. Casting and mold making is really easy to screw up.
>>
>>5543229
Smooth-on's website has a ton of tutorials and videos to get you started. And if you are making guns, I think your best bet is a two piece block mold, give that a Google and have fun.
>>
>>5543209
>mold
You can order it online from their website:

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/Wax/Castilene.htm

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/Wax/Castilene.htm

It might also be sold at specialized sculpture stores. There is a good here in toronto, but i am not sure where you are.
>>
>>5543229
Just buy a starter kit from smooth on. It might look hard but it is quite easy as long as you follow the instructions and don't take shortcuts. There are literally dozens of videos on youtube in the smooth on channel.Just watch a bunch of them and follow it to the t.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.