[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT buying fears I'm afraid I'm going to buy a "brand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 20
File: 1456288376632.jpg (46 KB, 492x361) Image search: [Google]
1456288376632.jpg
46 KB, 492x361
ITT buying fears

I'm afraid I'm going to buy a "brand new" sealed and having it not sealed OR even worse buying a counterfeit after being told it's not
>>
Spending more than I'm making, which I'm doing right now so I'm burning through funds like crazy.

>mfw
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 228x221
>>5537782
Fuck mobile
>>
File: 1453098230532.jpg (54 KB, 412x627) Image search: [Google]
1453098230532.jpg
54 KB, 412x627
>counterfeit unknowingly in your collection until someone points it out years later and everyone laughs at you
>>
File: 1455056071734.jpg (60 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1455056071734.jpg
60 KB, 960x720
im afraid to stop
>>
>>5537768
Buying an old (>10 years) toy NIB, I'm afraid that's been degraded or been leaking plasticizer.

Alternatively, buying an old toy used, because I'm afraid of it being broken.

I hate buying old toys.
>>
File: I wish I'd never been born.jpg (104 KB, 883x795) Image search: [Google]
I wish I'd never been born.jpg
104 KB, 883x795
I'm afraid of pulling the trigger on a few figs on Mandarake because there's the chance a significantly cheaper one will be listed right after I buy them.

>>5537924
I know that feel, anon. My revo Protect Gear is fucking awful to touch. It's a fucking shame because I really love the design and movie.
>>
>>5537768
I'm always afraid of the post losing my package, or having some guy steal it off of my doorstep
>>
I'm afraid of missing out on figures while they're available and the value shooting up since the toy community loves to overpay. Sometimes I buy Transformers out of compulsion because of this.
>>
>>5538401
this used to be me. in recent years i have learned that 1. stuff gets re-released and 2. stuff is generally not worth so much 2-3 years down the line.

of course theres always those few things, but i tell myself i've saved more money by not compulsively buying than paying aftermarket.
>>
>>5538401
I'm actually afraid that nobody will sell toys if everybody goes full frontal poorfag. Hopefully Takara finishes the Autobot cars before that happens. Then I can bail our with a clear conscience.

God why are they wasting a slot on munkee?
>>
File: 1446177443650.gif (2 MB, 200x151) Image search: [Google]
1446177443650.gif
2 MB, 200x151
Whenever I send Mandarake an email asking them something about a toy I want, I'm always afraid someone's just gonna' come in and buy it while I'm waiting for a response.
>>
>>5537782
I know exactly what you mean
>working as a security guard
>Suddenly cut back hours after they lose a contract
>Have to eat through savings just for preorders I already made and still want to buy more shit on the side
Fortunately, it's just temporary until they transfer people to another site so I'm not too worried.
>>
>buy a "brand new" sealed and having it not sealed

Can you return these to eBay sellers? So it said it was factory sealed and it really wasn't. Can you return them?
>>
I'm afraid of missing pre-order dates, especially since I'm brand goddamn new to import toys
>>
>>5539863
You can file a complaint, and from what I understand E-bay will usually favpr the buyer, but you'll probably have to return the toy (make sure you buy tracking too, the seller WILL gip you by claiming your return never came through and then reselling it for double profit)
>>
I'm afraid of buying figures online and receiving derp eyes. Particularly a problem with NECA and Marvel Legends, but I'm not going to just shit on the west, that S.H Figuarts Superman was garbage.
>>
File: IMG_11121.jpg (63 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
IMG_11121.jpg
63 KB, 500x375
Counterfeit always terrifies me.
>>
File: 1441073580493.jpg (657 KB, 900x660) Image search: [Google]
1441073580493.jpg
657 KB, 900x660
>>5537768
>Used or Good Condition
>won't show all the angles of the figure
>>
File: 13878.jpg (30 KB, 256x375) Image search: [Google]
13878.jpg
30 KB, 256x375
I'm afraid of buying old, rare and expensive toys of something that is less/no longer popular. Only to discover that theyre making something new and much better
>>
>>5539884
>I'm afraid of buying figures online and receiving derp eyes. Particularly a problem with NECA.

Are you me? I will never buy a Neca figure online unless it's from an ebay listing that uses actual photos of the figure.
>>
File: OH GOD THE VOICES.gif (1 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
OH GOD THE VOICES.gif
1 MB, 200x200
>when you just know a joint is going to break
>when you swear you can see the beginnings of a crack
>>
>>5539884
This happens to S.H Figuarts a lot. Pic related for example. I ended up just selling it at a discount and bought another on ebay.
>>
Biggest fear would just be not getting my package if I purchased a figure online. This actually just happened to me.

>Live in university dorm
>Order item on spring break
>Item can't be delivered because university post office is closed
>Spring break over
>3 days later, still in retention
>Will get sent back if university doesn't pick it up today or tomorrow
>>
>>5537924
plasticizer leakage really isn't that bad of an issue. It also only happens on PVC, so if you're that paranoid make sure it's all something else, like TFs for example (most of them, anyway).
>>
>>5538401
This. I've bought quite a few figures on impulse solely because I knew if I didn't buy them right then and there, there was a possibility it'd be gone and I'd have to pay 4-5x the price because of scalpers.

Also, I'm afraid of having my packages get lost in the mail. That's kind of why I hate using eBay. I love Amazon Prime, but when I order expensive things on eBay from overseas, I always hate the wait because I'm paranoid my shit will get lost.
>>
File: sweating loli.jpg (676 KB, 2459x1639) Image search: [Google]
sweating loli.jpg
676 KB, 2459x1639
>>5541286
It'll happen to any toy that uses plasticizers, not just PVC.
PVC just happens to be one of those plastics that decomposes the fastest, so it seems to happen more often.
>>
File: 1430700456896.png (154 KB, 250x295) Image search: [Google]
1430700456896.png
154 KB, 250x295
>Desperately want a figure for months
>Finally starts trickling into stores
>I need it, go to my usual store runs for the next couple of weeks to get it
>It's never there
>Finally cave, order it online, as a result I end up paying more
>Casually go to a store the next day
>It's fucking there
>>
>>5538710
Yeah, I just had my hours cut a month ago. I work as a custodian at a church and was calling in sick to often so they cut my hours in half
>>
>>5537924
>>5538245
>>5541286

Speaking on this, I just bought a sealed figure from about 3-4 years ago.

I haven't gotten it yet. Will it be oozing plastacizers? And do I just clean that up with soap and water?
>>
>>5537782
Hahaha yeah... Same. $700 on transformers in one month is unhealthy.
>>
>>5537768
>importing figures and having post men play hockey with my fragile toys.

It happened once to a gundam I ordered. The box was crushed beyond recognition. The trays inside were fine, no damage to the figure, but boy was the box whipped.
>>
>>5538401
Yeah this sucks about toy collecting. Some stuff like Lego you have months, maybe years, before they start becoming scalped. Even then, you'll more likely find them on sale. However stuff like Monsterarts will jack up in price as soon as they stop making them. It's a waiting game for some, but sometimes if it's really niche then you have to pay up now.
>>
>>5538697

Wait you can ask mandarake to find pieces for you?>>5538710
>>
>>5537768
being in a situation so dire that i need to sell my figures for the money.
>>
Find a figure line that made it's way to a closeout store like Big Lots or Tuesday Morning. That line isn't carried anywhere else and is a lot more expensive online. If you don't grab it now you'll likely never see it again. But, the only one on the peg has "derp" eyes.
>>
>>5543660
If it's a more expensive one, couldn't you buy it and return it to the manufacturer for a good one?
>>
Actually had a buying fear come true a while back. Bought a bunch of figures from an Amazon seller. Three were multiples of the same figure. Got the package and only one of the three was included. A polite message to the seller only got me a standoffish response that all items had been included. Had to contact Amazon to get the difference refunded.

It was an awkward situation. Now I always take a short video when getting a package. I try to show that it hasn't been opened or tampered with. Then I weigh it on a digital scale, and keep it in the camera frame while opening it and removing the contents. Haven't had to use the videos yet but I'd like to have at least some proof that I'm not a scammer.
>>
>>5543701
Why do you need a video? Amazon refunded your money without a video
>>
File: shaking.gif (475 KB, 560x400) Image search: [Google]
shaking.gif
475 KB, 560x400
>>5541166
>moving a joint
>can feel it slowly shearing off each time you do
>>
>>5543860
Because it would be nice to have additional proof if not everything's in the package, besides just me saying so. Maybe it would be something the seller would like to see, so that the situation didn't need to be resolved by Amazon.
>>
File: TMNT.gif (331 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
TMNT.gif
331 KB, 500x373
>>5541166
>>5543882
>moving a small articulated part
>see a stress mark on the hinge, looks like it's going to break off at any moment
>repose toy on shelf and leave it alone for a while
>a few months pass
>pick up toy again to play with
>forgot all about weakened joint
>it snaps off
>glue it back on, part can no longer move
>repose toy on shelf again and leave it alone
>another few months pass
>pick up toy again to play with
>forgot about previously glued broken part
>it snaps off again
>>
Not really a fear, but I just felt this was odd and wanted to share. Just got a used Nendoroid and the previous owner decided to open the box from the bottom for some reason.
>>
>>5545471
That's how I open all my things, that way if I fuck up the box opening it the box still looks good if set down
>>
>>5543891
Thats actually a pretty good idea.
>>
>>5542449
I can confirm they do.

From their faq:
>We could ask the store about their current stock as long as you name the specific items you want us to find. Please take notice, we do not answer vague inquiries such as: “What types of products and how many do you have?”, “Do you have any other product from @@@ series?” etc.
>>
>>5545540
>>5545471
I recently realized how great that is. I normally throw the packages out (90% of the time), If it's a small box and really cool looking, I'll open it from the bottom to make it look brand new.
>>
File: kasen crazy.gif (859 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
kasen crazy.gif
859 KB, 600x600
>Order online because cheaper
>Can't see the paint app
>>
>buy figure on ebay
>120
>135 with shipping
>but wait there's import charges
>oh and don't forget to convert into cad
>$220 later
>>
>>5541710
How can you prevent this from happening? I never had this fear before but now I'm shitting my pants
>>
>>5547276
Every couple of months [more often when the weather is hotter] take your toys and put them into a freezer for 20 minutes.

It can be a bit of work if you have a good sized collection, but it's worth it knowing that you'll persevere your collection.
>>
File: son.jpg (55 KB, 599x608) Image search: [Google]
son.jpg
55 KB, 599x608
>buy a figure used in-box
>previous owner taped the box shut
>>
>Have accessory and you're not entirely sure what it's movement limitations are
>Move and adjust it
>Is like a joint that moves far?
>SNAP
>Also display stands
>This is a cool pose
>Stress Marks
>>
File: 1449029459405.png (1 MB, 1118x1107) Image search: [Google]
1449029459405.png
1 MB, 1118x1107
>Unlocking joints for the first time
Its both satisfying and stressful as fuck.
>>
>>5541183
Pretty sure you can go pick it up yourself, ut has your name on it,
>>
>>5538245
>don't buy it
>it's sold out forever
>>
File: 1372954864482.jpg (66 KB, 348x327) Image search: [Google]
1372954864482.jpg
66 KB, 348x327
>>5537782
Same here, my man. PayPal's 'Pay After Delivery' system is fucking dangerous. Finding myself getting fucked in the middle of the month and can't do shit until the end of the month.

I think I should stop and consider that I have a problem. The slippery slope is real.
>>
>>5548615
>PayPal's 'Pay After Delivery' system is fucking dangerous.

I used to have the same issue, you can change that in your account settings so the money will be taken put of your bank as soon as you've made your purchase and the transaction will show up on uour online statement in a couple of days.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.