[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The next release in the Star Wars S.H.Figuarts lineup is... Luke
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 25
File: image.jpg (223 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
223 KB, 1067x1600
The next release in the Star Wars S.H.Figuarts lineup is... Luke Skywalker (Episode IV)! Discuss.
>>
>>5425006
>that fucking face
Jesus Christ, I guess I'll go with the black series that comes out next month instead.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 152x254) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 152x254
>>5425006
When is the less-than-two-minute window for preordering this happening?
>>
That looks nothing like Mark Hamill
>>
>>5425190
Go buy another 1/12 poorfag black series, matey!
>>
Damn, that looks bad.
>>
File: heeP4VY.jpg (3 MB, 2216x2920) Image search: [Google]
heeP4VY.jpg
3 MB, 2216x2920
His face does seem a bit off, I like how pic related handled it.

Still looks solid though. Ill def get him.
>>
Why did they do Jedi first

like Bespin should be the priority, with this one 2nd, and then Jedi
>>
>>5425007
>>5425190
>>5425204
You guys make me cringe.
>>
>Star Wars toys

I am so fucking glad I stoppoed buying Black Series and sold them off at an insane price right before the new shittier figures came out. Thanks, nerdy faggots!
>>
>>5425196
Didn't say Black Series looked better did I faggot?
The figuarts RotJ face looked better
You'd buy a literal piece of shit if Figarts released one
>>
Any of you guys belong to the star wars figure facebook groups? holy shit is it hilarious big bunch of autistics circlejerking some mexican guy for his shitty looking customs saying theyre movie quality and shit
>>
>>5425229
That is correct, as I am loyal to Bandai.
>>
>>5425190
>>5425190
>That looks nothing like Mark Hamill

b-b-b-but muh superior japanese articulation
>>
File: SHF1.jpg (293 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
SHF1.jpg
293 KB, 683x1024
>>5425190
>>5425204
>>5425216
>>5425242
Maybe go with a picture not taken from a seriously awkward angle next time, OP.
>>
>>5425253
he's trying to set bait, of course he's gonna use the shit pic
>>
>>5425253
Beautiful. How much do you think he'll be?
>>
>>5425267
About $40, assuming you can actually get a preorder in.

I finally managed to get my hands on Jedi Luke, it's a seriously great figure. Pictures really undersell how good it is.
>>
>>5425267
I know where not to order.

I really hate my Japanese distributor. They only carry a small fraction of Figuarts releases and by the time they jack me to hell and back on shipping I may as well have ordered from BBTS.
>>
fuck, i missed out on the first luke but im not a big fan of the jedi robes.
>>
>>5425309
>Hobbylink Japan

http://www.hlj.com

>Amiami

http://www.amiami.com

>Hobbysearch

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/

>CD Japan

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp

Keep an eye on the SHF general thread to find out what the preorder day/time is and get ready to F5 your browser for a while.
>>
>>5425006
he looks mildly retarded
>>
>>5425253
Okay I retract my statement, does look quite good
>>
File: True-Life-Giants.jpg (155 KB, 632x322) Image search: [Google]
True-Life-Giants.jpg
155 KB, 632x322
Looks like Mark Hamil, but if he were 6'7" and chock full of testosterone and other growth hormone overdosing

>>5425253
>using an older image that was carefully shot of original the prototype and not of the current test samples
There's a video of OPs taken just a few days ago and it still looks like he's suffering from gigantism from all the angles the camera is moving around him.
>>
File: SHF Luke.jpg (464 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
SHF Luke.jpg
464 KB, 1067x1600
>>5425363
Get some new material.
>>
File: mark-hamill-serious.jpg (139 KB, 1536x1037) Image search: [Google]
mark-hamill-serious.jpg
139 KB, 1536x1037
>>5425367
>criticism about the figure not looking like mark hamil not valid because it's been said before
I'll come up with new material when they stop making the same mistakes over and over.
I think they're relying way too much on that dot matrix printer look to fake facial details instead of actually sculpting them in.
>>
File: 2171.png (61 KB, 202x204) Image search: [Google]
2171.png
61 KB, 202x204
>>5425219
>SH Figuarts Bespin Luke
I didn't know that I needed this, like the possibility never crossed my mind
>>
>>5425391
Agreed, more sculpting less weird blurry faces
>>
>>5425318
Thanks but if I import more than one through a retailer mooks will say it's scalping. Even though I could hypothetically make a buck doing that, there's such a fight for these already that I don't interfere. If a distributor would offer them, that'd be different.

I haven't really found a worthwhile Japanese distributor though. The two I know of are always significantly more expensive than Japanese retail and charge at least twice as much shipping. Every now and then they're almost competitive but it's rare. With the shit fits thrown over BBTS' markup, using that as a starting point would go over like a lead balloon.

Nor would I trust HLJ with another personal order on these. The competition on Star Wars and Marvel is 100 times more fierce than other stuff they've stiffed customers on.
>>
>>5425391
The details are all there in the sculpt. Maybe try owning one of these figures before shitposting based on badly-lit photos in future.

>>5425423
Unlikely to happen because Bandai technically can't sell them outside of Japan thanks to Hasbro. I believe HLJ does have some kind of wholesale program though, maybe get in touch with them about it.

http://wholesale.hlj.com
>>
File: sandy face.jpg (282 KB, 754x1045) Image search: [Google]
sandy face.jpg
282 KB, 754x1045
>>5425434
>implying i blind buy toys like most of /toy/ who desperately try to preorder to get the poorfag discount, resulting in hardcore crazy defenses to defend their blind buys
I buy almost everything in person and have personally seen almost every figure /toy/ talks about.
So i don't have to buy shit to actually see how the sculpts themselves are too soft and/or poorly represent the actors.

Like i said, the dot matrix printed face is a poor crutch for their inability to sculpt accurate faces
>>
>>5425434
THAT'S what people are trying to say is better than Figuarts?
>>
>>5425219
Bespin Luke may be from the best movie,but its the least iconic look.
>>
File: 2-shits.jpg (37 KB, 502x239) Image search: [Google]
2-shits.jpg
37 KB, 502x239
>>5425450
No, but some people need to build their strawman to claim that their shit is less shitty than that other shit
hint: both are shit and only a certain people love their shit with all their mouth.
>>
File: giphy-4.gif (2 MB, 390x277) Image search: [Google]
giphy-4.gif
2 MB, 390x277
>>5425447
Thanks for once again outing yourself, Subjectanon.

Now is the part where /toy/ reports and hides all your posts.

>>5425450
Yes.

>M-muh sculpt!
>>
>>5425434
Isn't it funny that the american Luke is the one with anime eyes?
>>
I may just spend the money on both the figuarts and Black Series ROTJ Luke. I like Luke and I own the Black Series Bespin one, but fuck man
>>
File: IMG_3985.jpg (500 KB, 768x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3985.jpg
500 KB, 768x900
>>5425482
Just get the Figuarts when it re-releases next month.
>>
>>5425487
Will it be up on Amazon for a reasonable price?
>>
>>5425497
I have no idea, but if the worst comes to the worst you can set up a figinstock alert on Mandarake.
>>
>>5425503
Well, on that topic

Is 70 a good price for Vader?
>>
>>5425006
>>
>>5425006
Confirmed where?
>>
>>5425532
SHF Vader? Fuck no. It's really not that great of a figure, and doesn't fit in with any of the subsequent releases at all.
>>
>>5425532
Mafex Vader is what you need anon. Hes the best.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 480x640
>>5425633
The fact that you can Frankenstein the excellent unmasked Vader head from SHF Luke onto Mafex Vader's body is really tempting me to pick one up.
>>
>>5425391
Autism is a son of a bitch
>>
>>5425229
The Figuarts fags get offended because they spend more and get stuck with a black series quality face.
>>
>>5425006
At least he doesn't have retarded golden hair, they just gave him a retarded face instead.
>>
>>5425803
>>5425804
>Less than 8 seconds between posts

Someone's salty.
>>
>>5425006
I think I'll stick with the Hot Toys.
>>
File: Andy-Samberg.jpg (188 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Andy-Samberg.jpg
188 KB, 1200x800
>>5425006
>>5425253
>>5425367
Reminds me of Andy Samberg
>>
>>5425825
>those two post are the same person
>>
>>5425391
thanks for the image

I agree the sculpt looks like Mark Hamill
>>
>>5425487
Are the legs loose at all on those Clonetroopers?
>>
>>5425973
No.
>>
>>5425006

Kinda stuck with buying this since Hasbro decided to go all pyjama soft goods with his top.
>>
>>5425456
the body on the SHF is near perfect. Sure, the facial likeness is off quite a bit, but at least it looks like a real person instead of a cartoon character with fucking downs.

So, no, they're not even close to being on the same level.
>>
>>5426286
This. Subjectanon can bitch and moan about how it looks like so and so, or muh dot matrixes are totally ruining the figure, but the fact of the matter is that these are some of the best realistic heads we've ever seen in a 1/12th scale.
>>
File: 1449377939517.png (78 KB, 334x300) Image search: [Google]
1449377939517.png
78 KB, 334x300
>>5425447
>personally seen
>never owned one to actually look at it in person outside of its clusterfuck of a plastic covering
>>
File: obi-wan-kenobi-13.jpg (149 KB, 725x900) Image search: [Google]
obi-wan-kenobi-13.jpg
149 KB, 725x900
>>5425803
But Black series faces are Hot Toys quality, even if their paint is mediocre as fuck. Which is better than ugly dot matrix printing.

>>5425825
>needing to pretend all negative posts come from samefag or your world comes crashing down
Just so you know, 4chan has a timed posting limit, which is about a minute between each post.

>>5426286
>they're not even close to being on the same level.
Says you.

IMO (shouldn't even have to say this disclaimer, but so much butthurt comes from it), none of them are worth it. I can overlook mediocre articulation, but aesthetics are the most important thing about a toy.
Part of the reason I'm ok with Hasbro's bare bones paint apps is because their sculpts are so great. It looks like the actors, even if it doesn't have the complex paint apps and shading i love from other figures i buy.

So none of those figures are worth buying. If you want to settle for shit, good for you. The best option is dont give money for crap and wait for them to release something better.

The lengths you have to go to to defend poor sculpts is just ridiculous. Gotta make strawmen, like even bringing up another crappy sculpt that no one has ever claimed was good.

pic of a high tier sculpt (which i wouldn't buy anyway, because poor proportions)
>>
>>5427213
>But Black series faces Hot Toys quality
>even if their paint is mediocre as fuck
Pick one.

You don't get to claim "muh Hot Toys" when the final product's paint is utter shit. There's a reason why Hot Toys figures look so good, and a huge part of that is the exceptional paint, something that the Black series is really shit at.
>>
>>5427213
>It looks like the actors, even if it doesn't have the complex paint apps

If they were all colored in gray then yeah sure, but Hasbro's paint completely shits on them enough to ruin the entire thing. It's one thing to appreciate a good sculpt in an artistic way, but it's a whole other level of autism to say that it carries the entire figure when the paint and overall material use/engineering is shit by comparison.

Keep buying them though, at least we still have people like you so Hasbro can produce the non-humanoid/maked figures for us that SHF won't be covering.
>>
File: roadrock.jpg (47 KB, 601x458) Image search: [Google]
roadrock.jpg
47 KB, 601x458
>>5427252
sorry
>Hot Toys quality sculpting
Is that better for you?

>There's a reason why Hot Toys figures look so good, and a huge part of that is the exceptional paint, something that the Black series is really shit at.
Oh, paint definitely plays a part, but it's hard to say that their faces are shit when you can see all the details in person.
When their sculpts look like the actor, it looks like the actor even if it's just flesh colored plastic.

I will note that I'll pass on poorly painted faces though, even if the sculpt is 100% true to the actor. No one wants derp eyes or lips painted on the chin, even if it's easy to fix.
I don't to support shit like that.
>>
>>5427274
I guess you've had to pass on all black series figures then.
>>
>>5427274
That figure looks like dog shit
>>
>>5427283
>tfw that Roadblock actually looks better painted than 90% of the Black Series human sculpts

How did Hasbro fuck up so bad?
>>
>>5425006
This is the Luke I've been waiting for. A New Hope was always my favorite Star Wars movie.

Preorder when?
>>
>>5427274
>Oh, paint definitely plays a part, but it's hard to say that their faces are shit when you can see all the details in person.

The face still looks like shit if the paint shits on an otherwise good sculpt. If Hasbro picked better plastic materials and their paint was more consistently clean, then I'd be inclined to agree but they keep ruining their own good sculpts. Stop giving them praise where it isn't even well-deserved, your love for sculpts deserve a better subject matter such as a Hot Toys figure. And if you think that I don't even own these figures to properly judge them in-hand (both Black Series and SHF) then you're sorely mistaken.

>I will note that I'll pass on poorly painted faces though, even if the sculpt is 100% true to the actor. No one wants derp eyes or lips painted on the chin, even if it's easy to fix.

Just like the Black series figures?
>>
File: guardians lighting.jpg (180 KB, 1024x575) Image search: [Google]
guardians lighting.jpg
180 KB, 1024x575
>>5427277
Actually, i haven't seen any poorly painted Black series figures so far, but i do ignore a lot of them. I mostly buy masked figures, but have been impressed with a few face characters. Old Han Solo, that black guy, Obi Wan, and Jango unmasked are fantastic.

Everyone else is pretty average to cartoony, or just shit.
Can't say anything about any of the Mauls, considering the face paint makes it hard to distinquish actual facial features even IRL (both actors and toy). So they look good, even the figuarts.

>>5427287
Sometimes the most simplistic of paint apps is better. It's why i think Bandai should just give up with the sandy dot matrix effect and hire better sculptors instead.
>>
>>5427314
By old han solo do you mean the OT han or TFA han? I agree on both accounts, just curious.
>>
File: han repaint.png (2 MB, 858x1291) Image search: [Google]
han repaint.png
2 MB, 858x1291
>>5427326
Old man Han Solo.

I'm not really a fan of the other ones. The style is cartoony and he looks out of place with the rest of them.

I've been considering doing a wash for mine like that one guy did for his old Solo. I'm undecided, since the figure already looks good as it is. I'll see after giving him a matte coat (everyone should do this, as it makes details pop).
>>
>>5427338
I totally agree .. TFA Han, and really wave 5 in general, have shown a marked improvement over their previous efforts.
>>
File: lowqualitybait.jpg (18 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
lowqualitybait.jpg
18 KB, 600x600
>>5427314
>other post talks about Hasbro's shittiness with paint
>finds a way to change the topic into "muh shitty dot matrix"

You're not even trying anymore aren't you?
>>
>>5427362
Glad to hear this, since I ordered it for Han, Stormtrooper Finn and Jango. Now I just need the updated Rey with the not-so-shitty paint apps then I'm mostly done with my Black Series TFA collection.
>>
>>5427338
>I'll see after giving him a matte coat (everyone should do this, as it makes details pop).

See this is fine since I can actually customize, but people shouldn't even have to do this. You keep harping on and on about how "dot matrix" paint apps ruins Bandai's figures and yet that's exactly what makes them far more appealing compared to the average shitty cartoonish paint apps by Hasbro.
>>
File: 3d han solo.jpg (78 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
3d han solo.jpg
78 KB, 500x333
>>5427382
>but people shouldn't even have to do this.
They don't have to, because the sculpt and tigure is already fantastic.
I only do it because, like you, I also like to customize my figures. I'm holding off from doing a wash, because is it worth it compared to the time i have to give it a wash and then spend all that time cleaning it up to look best? Eh......

>dot matrix look is appealing
lololololol... but whatever, you're allowed to have your opinion.

>>5427364
>finds a way to change the topic into "muh shitty dot matrix"
but the thread is about the new Luke, who has that dotty paint job because the sculpt doesn't luke like Mark Hamil.
>>
>>5427395
>(everyone should do this, as it makes details pop).
>They don't have to

Stop backpedaling.

>lololololol

And please don't act like an underaged twat.
>>
File: billies.jpg (64 KB, 799x600) Image search: [Google]
billies.jpg
64 KB, 799x600
>>5427399
everyone should also own better furniture.

Learn to know what a recommendation is. It's all just opinions, unlike what your butthurt autistic reading skills tell you.
>>
>>5425216
Is that figuarts Vader? Everybody complained about him being too smal. But he's way taller than Luke in this pic (and people said that Luke was well scaled).
>>
>>5427450
>using namefagging to insist "IMO" tripe
>posting a pic that has nothing to do with the subject
>all just opinions
>butthurt autistic reading skills

Feeling a little salty from that comment huh? You need to chill if all your effort in making a post like this amounts to nothing but a thinly-veiled insult (a pretty poor one at that).
>>
>>5427481
That might not look too bad because of the nice photo and, but he looks fairly undersized in person. Basically, compared to other figures in similar scale he looks too average-sized.

It doesn't help that Vader was such a towering figure in the actual film (Luke should only reach up around his shoulders), hence why a lot of people found the Mafex to be a good compromise of sculpt, paint, articulation, and height.
>>
>>5427481
His hips are pulled down, giving him an extra 1/4th of an inch or so.
>>
>>5427512
Same anon as >>5427510 and damn you're right. I can't believe I didn't notice it myself given how I even tried the same thing to give my Vader that extra boost.
>>
>>5427510
Do you know if Vader's cape is removable (in both mafex and figuarts versions)?
>>
>>5427338
is that alec baldwin?
>>
>>5427545
For Mafex, no you can't. It's basically attached to the figure itself so it's pretty risky if you want the cape, which is a shame because they used a really good cloth material that looks really natural for the scale.

Figuarts yes you can, but it's soft plastic with two small tabs that loosely plug into his back. You can just cut/shave them off if you really need to put the cape on someone.
>>
File: o-ALEC-BALDWIN.jpg (917 KB, 1536x1978) Image search: [Google]
o-ALEC-BALDWIN.jpg
917 KB, 1536x1978
>>5427561
Damn you, now I can't unsee.
>>
>>5425006
>Steve Irwin Luke
Jesus that's worse than McDowell Luke
>>
>>5425007
>that fucking face
>I better buy the even worse face
shill pls go
>>
>>5425006
I don't give a fuck, where's my episode seven figuart?
>>
>>5425434
>I believe HLJ does have some kind of wholesale program though, maybe get in touch with them about it.
Right, the people who regularly cancel my small preorders should be trusted with a large security deposit (not to be put towards orders) and whole case orders?
>>
>>5427809
you mean a MaRey Sue figuart?
>>
>>5429013
1) HLJ hasn't been like that in years
2) You probably wouldn't pay until the case was ready to ship.

Go shill for Amiami elsewhere.
>>
Is the Vader bandai kit good? Is the height accurate?
>>
>>5429986
Yes, as long as you swap out the cape with a cloth one.
>>
>>5429104
there was just a thread about them canceling a bunch of POs.
>>
>>5430148
No, there's a thread made by a scalper who tried to buy 20 at once and instead got their order lowered to 1, since that's all HLJ could fulfill.
>>
>>5425238
It's fucking awful, I just want to sell my black series and get the fuck out. Dedicated Star Wars fans are god awful.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.