[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to get into model kits as a way to pass the time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: 4058128544_de6cf8060e.jpg (11 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
4058128544_de6cf8060e.jpg
11 KB, 500x375
I'm trying to get into model kits as a way to pass the time
The problem is I don't really know gundam that well and nearly all the ones I can find are gundam related

Are there any good original mecha modelkits? I've been looking at frame arms (pic related) but are there any others I missed?
>>
slist.amiami.com/top/search/list?s_keywords=Kotobukiya+plastic+kit&submit=Search&pagemax=40

There you go, but keep in mind Kotobukiya kits usually need some work.
>>
>>5402254
What do you mean needs some work?
>>
File: image.jpg (275 KB, 814x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
275 KB, 814x800
>>5402259
With Koto kits a good portion of the details you see on the boxes need to be painted on.

Here's an example, it's the first Frame Arm Girl figure they released when snapbuilt.
>>
Kotobukiya do a bunch of different kits, their hmm zoids kits are great and their armored core kits are good too. Not the previous poster but when he says koto kits need work they normally need extra painting for details if you want it to look like it does on the box. Koto kits are 99.9% snap fit but I've seen one or two parts on a few armored core kits that require some minor gluing. As for gundam, I'd seen nothing but a few episodes of gundam wing when I started, I just grabbed a kit because I liked the design, over 100 kits later and 50% of the anime's watched and I've never looked back.
>>
File: image.jpg (308 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
308 KB, 600x800
>>5402263
And here's what you would see on the box.

This isn't always the case as some do look fine out of the box even without work, I know one anon owns the HoiHoi model kits and says they looked great but it's up to personal preference in the end. My biggest issue is the plastic they use tends to be somewhat shiny.

But like with all kits, they'll look as good as you want them to and how much time you put into them. It also doesn't hurt to build a few Gundam kits just because you like their designs.
>>
>>5402265
My friend is constantly trying to get me into gundam

I actually recently bought a zaku one on his recommendation because he knows I love the mass produced looking soldier mecha more than the heroic ones

Might just watch some, I like the designs and I actually have a lot of fun building the kits
>>
File: 61SK6D9kR4L._SL1500_.jpg (27 KB, 800x1082) Image search: [Google]
61SK6D9kR4L._SL1500_.jpg
27 KB, 800x1082
Also pic is the one I'm thinking of getting
>>
File: 51CRj8WctEL._SX300_.jpg (15 KB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
51CRj8WctEL._SX300_.jpg
15 KB, 300x290
Bandai has another line of kits called LBX Danball Senki. They have cool original robot designs and are made such that even young kids can assemble them.

They had a North American release a while back but I'm not a merry can so I don't know how well that went.
>>
>>5402309
Some of these actually look really neat I'll have to look into them
>>
>>5402309
LBX kits aren't original designs. They are from a game and anime franchise of the same name.
>>
Well all in all I think I'm gonna get a frame arms, they're a little pricey but they seem pretty cool

First one will probably be ryurai
>>
>>5402248
You don't need to know gundam to build the kits anon. You can just find one you think looks cool and build it.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.