[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dust on toys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 471x313) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 471x313
Hi /toy/, i've been thinking in starting to collect toys and figures, but my concern is the dust. How do you prevent the toys from catching too much dust or do yo clean them periodically? If so, how do yo clean the ones with really tight spots? Do you just dissamble them?
>>
>>5372572
If it concerns you that much, don't start.
>>
I find the sweet spots of my place that doesn't get dusty, and put my collection there.
>>
>>5372572
Non-shitty glass cabinet.
>>
>>5372572
Play with your toys. Toys that get handled seem to accumulate less dust. Otherwise, put 'em in boxes or good glass display cabinets.
>>
File: paint brush.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
paint brush.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
wash your figures.
All toys have lube left over from the manufacturing process. That lube means more dust will stick on to them and also makes them harder to dust off.
Use dish soap and warm water to wash them. No need to scrub, just swish them around in the water and rinse them. Shake dry to take out any water left inside.

Buy a cheap $1 brush at Home Depot or Walmart. Something wide but thin. Use this to dust them off every 2-3 months. Being thin will allow the brush to get into every little corner of your toys when holding the brush sideways and it won't damage the paint job or even move eyelash thin antennas.
>>
>>5373237
thanks for the tips man
>>
Display your toys in a glass cabinet or case. This will greatly reduce dust settling on them.

I use used-toothbrushes for dusting. The bristles are fine enough for small seams.

If the toy is very dirty (e.g. from someone's one collection), I'll dump it into an ultrasonic cleaner with just water and dishwashing soap.
>>
Make-up brushes are also very good for dusting.
>>
>>5372572

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/tools-accessories-80/tools-74000/model-cleaning-brush-74078
>>
I too use a small soft brush for dusting
but I also bought one of these things
and it is amazing!! it was worth the price
I use it on joints and smaller things (1-3 inches)
and also on bigger statues that have like complex bases. it gets in all the cracks and everything.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4ZOAW/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d0_g60_i1_sh
>>
File: audio cable risers.jpg (113 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
audio cable risers.jpg
113 KB, 612x612
>>5374827
>paying nearly $30 for a brush when a $1 brush made from dog hair does the same job just as good
you know what else everyone needs? $200 cable risers for cleaner sound.

>>5375124
blowers are pretty shit. same with canned air. they'll take off the loose dust, but won't completely take off all the dust, which will accumulate forcing you to physically dust it anyway.
It's better to use that money on an air purifier, so you can dust your toys pointed at the intake vents so the dust gets collected there.
>>
>>5375177
>>paying nearly $30 for a brush when a $1 brush made from dog hair does the same job just as good

That's what kept me from buying it for years. Then saw one on sale for a few bucks. Why_not.jpg Turns out it works a lot better than the various paintbrushes I had been using before.

Still use regular brushes to clean parts of random debris before painting them, but completed models and toys get the fancy treatment. However it works, its a lot more efficient than using sable or nylon brushes and the like.
>>
>>5376304
how is it more efficient?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.