[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hasbro Vs. Mattel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10
File: hasbro vs mattel.jpg (17 KB, 541x171) Image search: [Google]
hasbro vs mattel.jpg
17 KB, 541x171
Hasbro and Mattel are two of the largest toy companies in America (and possibly in the world as well). Which company do you think is better and why? I can't really say, as my only experience with Mattel was their old Food Fighters figures...
>>
Both have their faults but at least hasbro has properties that for the most part actual move.

Meanwhile mattel lives off monster high barbie and hot wheels. Most of their other lines don't really do much. Their boys toys are basically just hot wheels.

For collectors like us that aren't hot wheels fags I'd say both are 5/10 companies. There are better ways to get better DC and marvel toys for the most part, then tfs usually (sometimes kinda) are better by takara so their offerings are better to go for (kinda).
>>
>>5307291
I see hasbro making more fun toys for kids and giving their adult fans what they kinda want.

Where mattel forces you to subscribe to a membership if want there he-man/DC stuff and their QC is horrible (for example 66' batman line). Also they release items that are really overpriced like the bck2thefurture hoverboard and the batmoblie that costed a ton of money for hollow plastic
>>
>>5307317
Doesn't hasbro make transformers? And don't they actually make toys for kids
>>
>>5307317
Welp, Greg's here. Abandon thread. Sorry OP.
>>
>>5307317
>>5307319
Transformers tend to be reasonably articulated.
>>
>>5307317
Oh they also make marvel legends which is actually releasing characters people want and you can buy it without subscribing to a service
>>
File: IMG-3291-040f3.jpg (500 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG-3291-040f3.jpg
500 KB, 2448x3264
>>5307329
Well at least hasbro at least try to please the fans and release character they want.
Even transformers they release characters from the comic.
>>
>>5307327
I guess that gives them a slight upper hand towards Mattel in that case, then?
>>
>>5307335
This, honestly. All we need are a handful of classics minibots and the dinobots and Hasbro will have redone the entire 84/85 line.
>>
>>5307337
?
You're not a fan of 6 inch figures? That's cool I guess. That doesn't mean they aren't releasing stuff in 3.75 line
>>
>>5307341
In my opinion, 3.75" scale basically died when GI Joe did in America.
>>
>>5307291
Hasbro. As it stands, they both have their ups and downs but Hasbro just releases better stuff. As much as they're derided for reusing bodies in Marvel Legends, Mattel's DCUC was so much worse in that remark. She-Hulk would've been on the same body as Spider-Woman if Starfire was any indication, and Sentry would be on the same mold as any other generic male if Mattel were running Legends. At least Hasbro has a few different bodies for reuse that fit the character.

Still, though that doesn't mean Mattel didn't do SOMETHING better in DCUC than Habro is doing now...the joints are less gummy on them I guess. And I guarantee that Star Wars Black Series would've been a subscription service just like Ghostbusters and MOTUC.

Also, does Mattel even do kids lines besides Monster High and Hot Wheels? Sure there's like...some stuff, but it's hardly on shelves. The only place I see Batman Unlimited is fucking K-Mart. Hasbro's kids' stuff is at least on shelves and seem to be bought.

Again, though I wish Hasbro would stop using such shitty plastic on some of their MLs. Ant-Man was inexcusable. So much so, that I'm burnt on Legends because of him.
>>
>>5307342
GI joe is done? I never heard of this.
Aren't they making another GI joe movie?
Also marvel 3.75 scale is still going strong, still releasing new stuff.
>>
>>5307291
LEGO desu senpai
>>
Goddammit, Greg, even when you try to be coherent, you still stand out ass-first among the replies.
>>
>>5307317
If they bother you so much, why not send them a letter? Or better yet, a video about what they need to improve?
>>
>>5307369
Be sure to post it to YouTube, m8. Polite sage for off-topic.
>>
>>5307365
Your best is less than the board's worst.

And that's saying something.
>>
>>5307291
They're both pretty lousy. As a small seller, I actually gained more respect for Mattel for generally making their solicited release dates. It's just such a shame that they bungle lines that should be slam dunks. In many ways, I think MattyCollector has been a positive initiative hobbled by established ineptitude. Like if Mattel had given them a real budget, we could've gotten our perfectly viable retro toys without the hassle.
>>
>>5307394
Leaving it is entirely an option. One that's good for you and good for us. The saying 'you're here forever' is just a saying, people come and go all the time.
>>
Mattel steals less IP than Hasbro
>>
>>5307394
It is most definitely an option.
>>
>>5307345
>Aren't they making another GI joe movie?

Chu wants to but after the last one bombed, and his recent other Hasbro film tanked miserably, he's probably not making any more movies. Outside of TRU exclusives and $40 club repaints, the line is almost dead.
>>
>>5307401
To what end? You don't like us, Greg. We're mean, we don't laugh with you, we laugh at you, we constantly shit on your inability to perform grammatically, we hate your gloves, we don't listen to your whining without laughing in your face.

You're like a fatter version of the KKK, where any side you pick a fight with looks STRONGER because you're opposing it, with more people rallying to its defense the more you sputter and spew.
>>
>>5307433
I don't think you understand the analogy, so I will break it down for you.

The KKK is a much hated entity that, when it says 'we support [thing]', people automatically shy away from [thing]. It doesn't even matter if there's a good thing, if the KKK came out tomorrow in full uniform doing Breast Cancer Awareness and collecting for a legitimate charity, people would shy away because they are the KKK, and no one wants to be associated with them.

Now, that's not to say that if you went and tried reverse psychology that that would work, because for one, we're not nearly as dumb as you wish we were, and for two, if you're purposefully playing into the role of the heel, then we'll just treat you more as a heel.

tl;dr
No matter what you do here, we will know it is you and we will not help you. 4chan is not a place of healing, stop looking for it here.
>>
>>5307340
Most people who collect toys prefer the 6 inch scale.
>>
>>5307433
I like Hasbro, so there's no way I'm going to sign your dumb petition.
>>
>>5307470
I don't think anyone who collects Hasbro and toddler toys exclusively should be using the word "taste" in any form.
>>
>>5307476
If you feel so strongly about Hasbro toys, why not make a video about it, as I said before?
>>
>>5307476
Do you realize that no-one here supports you? That you're wasting your time and everyone else's by shitposting constantly? What do you even do with your life aside from making garbage posts about companies that produce toys for children?
>>
>>5307487
You aren't avenging shit, not by being a thieving pedophile who can't articulate anything without sounding like you're trying to whack off with a copy of V for Vendetta, and not even doing that very well.

All you're doing is chasing people away from things you like by being a shitty person. Stop being a shitty person, Greg. It's easy.
>>
>>5307487
no one gives a fuck :)
>>
It's not like they're competing when they are making toys of different franchises.
>>
>>5307520
Well DCUC got cancelled so...
>>
>>5307535
should have made more batman. only thing that anyone gives a shit about to be honest
>>
>>5307291
I'm answering within the strict perspective of action figures.

In terms of brand management and corporate decisions, Hasbro is better. MUCH better.

In terms of product, it's a mixed bag. Hasbro delivers on sheer quantity and in holding better licenses as a whole. To me there's no doubt on that one. Mattel on the other hand delivers the better product in regards to domestic collectors-grade figures (take that phrase with as many grains of salt as you would care to, I don't have a horse in this race). Hasbro doesn't have a product that matches the sculptural and aesthetic quality of MOTUC. Hasbro doesn't have a (mostly) good looking line of accurate real-world face sculpts like WWE Basics/Elites. But can you really fault Hasbro if it's just not something that's in their respective wheelhouse? I don't know. but the results speak for themselves when you look at best offering versus best offering.
>>
>>5307291
Hasbro's Star Wars & Marvel figures might be getting beat by Japanese companies' offerings but they're still infinitely better than the similar stuff that Mattel does. Hasbro hands down.
>>
>>5307613
You'd have to buy the figures to do that.
>>
Friendly reminder to report Greg's new ip for ban evasion.
>>
>tfw janitor-kun saved your thread
i love you guys. polite sage.
>>
>>5307291
>their old Food Fighters figures
Didn't they say they might revive the line at some point during a con they were at? If they're reasonably articulated that would make me super happy.
>>
>>5307559
>Hasbro's Star Wars & Marvel figures might be getting beat by Japanese companies' offerings
You're joking, right?
The only figure they've produced so far that actually looks like it's supposed to is Darth Maul.
>>
>>5307291
Mattel
>same old bodies
>same boring 5PoA

Hasbro
>a little more variety in body types
>articulation...i dont know..maybe a little better?
>>
>>5307705
>and then subjectautism tries to ruin it again with >>5308168
>>
File: header.jpg (53 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
53 KB, 500x300
>>5308176
>>same boring 5PoA
>>
>>5307341
Damn these all look great.

(the production versions are going to look like reheated ass, aren't they?)
>>
>>5307540
I pretty much agree with everything here except for
>In terms of brand management and corporate decisions, Hasbro is better. MUCH better.
Hasbro WAS much better. Now they're SLIGHTLY better. There was a huge shift around 2013 when Hasbro's upper management got shaken up. I don't know what it's like for other licenses, but the lines of communication for Star Wars are pretty much nonexistent now, whereas they used to do frequent Q&As and really seemed to care what fans thought.

In terms of brand management, it seems like pushing dumb shit like Star Wars Command, the bitty little 2" Marvel movie figures, etc. and cutting budgets to the bone on the bread-and-butter lines is not responsible brand stewardship. Despite what this board thinks, not every collector prefers 6" figures, particularly Star Wars collectors who already have hundreds or thousands of 3.75" figures and want more of the same. A lot of the people buying Black Series 6" never collected Star Wars before. A large percentage of established collectors want nothing to do with them and are either sucking it up and buying the stripped-down 3.75" line or deciding they can do without until Hasbro gets its act together. Pissing off long-term customers for short-term gains is not a great business strategy.
>>
File: Marvel vs DC Licensing Chart.jpg (161 KB, 648x853) Image search: [Google]
Marvel vs DC Licensing Chart.jpg
161 KB, 648x853
IT's almost shocking to see this degree in pwnage considering how popular Batman is.
Mattel just sucks shit.
>>
File: vipers pit gj.jpg (112 KB, 800x535) Image search: [Google]
vipers pit gj.jpg
112 KB, 800x535
>>5307408
IT didn't bomb.
It grossed 2x what it cost to produce, which is usually where it's considered for a movie to be considered a success or not. DVD/BD + merch sales also helps with studios making extra money back.

The problem with GI Joes toys is that the delay fucked up their toy sales. Stores stocked up on movie merch months before its release and were stuck with an abundant amount of overstock (stores always over-order for movie lines) when the movie was announced to be delayed. This led to the toyline not selling as well, and regardless of the delay, the majority of stores were unpleased with all that stock and didn't bother to reup when the movie was finally released a year later.

Since most stores weren't happy with sales from that delay, all the new GI Joe waves became exclusive to TRU and BBTS for the past two years.
>>
mattel is so fucking cheap with their wrestling line
they just leave stuff unpainted and claim limited budget
>>
>>5307540

MOTUC is mainly the 4H running the sculpts. Still a mixed bag. The females all look terrible.

Meanwhile, almost every single Marvel Legends Hasbro has done this year has an excellent head sculpt, including the real world faces for the MCU. The comic book women especially are some of the finest examples of attractive female headsculpts outside of work by DC Collectibles.
>>
>>5308971
Greg, multiple personality disorder is fake, so I don't know who this 'we' you're talking about is.
>>
File: greg the sex god.jpg (83 KB, 640x653) Image search: [Google]
greg the sex god.jpg
83 KB, 640x653
>>5308977
>>5308971
Remember to always report, hide, and sage Greg posts.
>>
>>5308968
Ehhh, I feel as if some Legends have a bit of sameface going on.
I do like it when they give certain characters expressions, though. It's a nice change of pace and breaks up the monotony. Still though, I feel some faces are better than others since most of them just have that pouty big lipped scowl most Legends have these days.

But yes, their female sculpts are indeed head and shoulders above Mattel at least and even head and shoulders above most of Toybiz's women too.
>>
>>5308968
>The females all look terrible
That's just, like, your opinion, man. The DCUC women had a terrible case of sameface, but Teela, Castaspella, Netossa, Sweet Bee, Spinnarella, and Flutterina all look different and quite beautiful. The Horsemen caught a lot of flak for all their women looking the same, and it seems they've stepped up and made an effort to change that in recent years.

Legends women, for the most part, have these too-wide mongoloid looking faces, like they sculpted half the face and then mirrored it or something. Thundra, Valkyrie, Wasp, and Scarlet Witch all have it. They're not the worst thing ever, but I wouldn't call them "attractive."
>>
File: review_antmanml2_8.jpg (60 KB, 500x747) Image search: [Google]
review_antmanml2_8.jpg
60 KB, 500x747
>>5309019
I agree MOTUC have some nice looking women but I think marvel legends is getting better at sculpting their women but again it totally depends (like with most mattel and hasbro releases)
>>
>>5307299
>mattel lives off monster high barbie and hot wheels. Most of their other lines don't really do much. Their boys toys are basically just hot wheels.

Mattel's WWE line is like the best selling boys line other than TMNT and takes up tons of shelf space in most stores
>>
>>5309019

Sorry but those motuc you mentioned look like transexuals, with their square jaws and over the top cheekbones. Bruce Jenner doesn't turn me on.
>>
>>5308988
Jeezus, Greg, wash your hair.
>>
Contact Hasbro with a complaint-"Thbaks for buying our shot BYE"

Contact Mattel with a complaint- "Here's a $20 voucher thanks for shopping!"

Mattel is way better

Besides Hasbro has whored out poor MLP
>>
As a longtime Joefag I gotta go with Hasbro. Marvel and Star Wars don't hurt either.

>>5307344
>does Mattel even do kids lines besides Monster High and Hot Wheels?
Does Fisher Price count as a line?
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.