[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3d printed toys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: 20151107_102605-1.jpg (3 MB, 1646x3037) Image search: [Google]
20151107_102605-1.jpg
3 MB, 1646x3037
Hey /toy/ a while back I made a reprap 3d printer and more recently I realized that I didnt have and action figures so I decided to make some in solidworks.

http://imgur.com/gallery/LyODD

I've also been selling them on etsy and I want to continue making more. What else do you guys think I should make? I'd like to get /toy/'s opinion.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaydreamInDesign
>>
it looks neat enough, i just can't get over thinking 3d printed toys look so fragile and rough

is the plastic decent? is there any way to sand off the print lines?
>>
>>5303952
You can sand them off but I like the way they look so I just leave them the way they are.

If I make something more pop culture related then I would sand it and paint it though.
>>
I might be in the market for a 3D printer for prototyping my designs instead of having to wait for Shapeways prints to arrive via mail.

What are some decent 3D printers <$500 that print WSF-like material on par with Shapeways (if any)?
>>
Add ankle tilts and i'll buy two
>>
I find your stuff interesting. I like how they look, the remind me of a posable artists dolls except al a robot. I think you should definitely venture forward with more toy making.
>>
>>5303973
If I remember correctly, I believe shapeways mostly used powder based printers in which a new layer is spread over the print until it's finished. Those types of printers are usually pretty expensive but FDM printers like mine usually run around $600 - $2000 - $3000.

It also depends on how much you want to tinker with it. I built mine so I had to make hundreds of adjustments over 2 years. But I only spent $700 on it. It works great now though. We're you looking for more of a consumer, works out of the box printer, or one that you would want to put together on your own?
>>
>>5303944
Looking good, seconding >>5303983 on ankle tilts. Will you make more designs?
>>
>>5303999
What exactly are ankle tilts?
I'm new here :p
>>
>>5304001
Your robots' ankles can move back and forth but not side to side. Your robots could, for instance, stand on tiptoe, but not spread their legs.
>>
>>5303983
>>5303999
>>5303986
I do plan on making more and making some of them more posable. What are ankle tilts? I'd like to incorporate them into my designs.
>>
>>5304009
Right in the post above yours.

Actually, thinking on it now, would you ever make use of Hobbybase joints? There was some discussion on them and 3D printed parts for figs in the Polynian threads.

https://www.hlj.com/product/YLSPPC-TN11/Sup
>>
>>5304012
>>5303999
>>5303983
By ankle tilts, do you think I should use ball joints like >>5304012 linked?

I could look into making the sets bigger maybe
>>
>>5304032
Ah shit I was quoted three times in that one post of yours.
Anyway, you should do what you like. I just linked the joints because designing and building your own figures is something that's interesting and appealing to a lot of people. Hobbybase's parts just make this a little easier by providing simple joint parts. Other companies and iirc Hobbybase too also make similar parts that offer even more articulation.

You could check out the customs thread too, sometime.
>>
>>5303944
>https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaydreamInDesign
>I don't have Ideas, the Thread
>>
>>5303993

>Activate trip-fagging.

The idea is to get parts made that could be close to what their Shapeways versions would turn out being like (dimensionally) at home so that I could sell their finalized forms via a Shapeways shop of my own. Whether it's a powderized version or not really doesn't matter to me unless the dimensioning will only be close to a Shapeways print through the same system.

Learning to tweak things just right wouldn't be that bad, but what sort of cost-difference would I be looking at for an out-of-box-ready model vs. one that would need fine-tuning? And then there's the tweaking itself, though I'm guessing that isn't too hard with all the tutorials abound online for these things, right?
>>
you gotta qc test them so you're not just ripping them off with sandpaper origami quality toys
>>
>>5303944

Damn, actually using screws and metal pins for joints. Nice!
>>
If you can make something other than a robot I'll be impressed
>>
>>5304268
If you were responding to my post at >>5304245, I've had good results with past prints at certain sizes so far. I would still have a pre-production print made for me via Shapeways for the final inspection and to have assembled-pics for the shop (plus pictorials/videos on how to clean and assemble the figures). The home-printed stuff would iron-out most of the prototyping kinks in less time at less costs than getting stuff made from Shapeways and mailed over every time. I'm usually patient with things, but I'd like to cut prototyping time as much as I can and get products ready online sooner.
>>
>>5303944

I just plugged you on my FB. You've made a really cool bot here!
>>
>>5303944
I love your aesthetic, would you ever consider doing a collab with an artist?
>>
>>5304001
+1 for ankle tilts.

Also, I cant quite tell, but it looks like there are no bicep or thigh swivels.

Suuper would love bicep and thigh swivels.

Gotta say man,, You've got a great design sense and balancing the printed plastic with the metal screws for support/design looks terriffic!

i'll definitely buy one down the road.
>>
How well do these take paint OP? Also good on you for making such nice looking robots.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (63 KB, 933x1245) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
63 KB, 933x1245
Soon.
>>
>>5310486
>arm swivels
>no elbow joints
Why
>>
>>5311022

Wip
>>
>>5310486
The /3/ in me is leaking out, I thought those bits didn't have smoothing groups at first.
>>
File: 1.jpg (63 KB, 917x1222) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
63 KB, 917x1222
>>5310486

Slowly getting there, some work still left.
>>
>>5310486
>>5312095
Are the shoulders being held in by your hopes and dreams or did you want them to fall out
>>
>>5303944
this is pretty cool stuff. how durable are they?
>>
>>5312286

Are you being serious or are you just retarded?
>>
>>5303944
How resistant is the plastic? I kinda wanted to make my own figures someday, but the plastic might not be good for more complex stuff if its too fragile.

And i loved the robot's design.
>>
>>5310486
>>5312095
>sculpted joints
*snap*, *crack*, etc
>>
>>5313608

Do you even know what you are saying anymore? You are literary embarrassing yourself right now and showing how little you know about 3D printing in general.

Properly designed joints printed with PLA are as strong as the molded ones if not better due to choices of infill you have.
>>
>>5314134
Those legs must be mounted backwards. Those look like asscheeks
>>
>>5314164

For a thread posted on /toy/ one would expect people would recognize and know what BJD is and how it works.
>>
>>5314176
kek, nobody gives a shit you fucking virgin
>>
>>5314204

I don't even know what you are doing posting here then. Are you aware where you are right now?
>>
>>5312095
You basically just made an Original Effect body.
>>
>>5314134
I'm not knocking the durability of 3D prints. All I'm saying is that joints that are built into the limb are, on average, more prone to breakage than separate ones, no need to lose your shit. The actual model looks pretty good, though, so I'm anxious to see how those joints turn out.
>>
>>5314260

They are also very easy to replace because they are 3D printed.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 262x262) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 262x262
>>5314284
these cost cheaper to buy and wont go breaking like your sandpaper shit does
>>
>>5314294

Jesus christ your retardation has no limits does it? I already told you, the joints are as strong if not better so the chances of them breaking is only is you throw the whole doll against the wall.
>>
>>5314294

As a matter of fact the joints are 3x thicker than the shit you are shilling right now.
>>
>>5314297
sandpaper isnt as strong as mold injected plastic, stop shilling your store its against the rules to advertise such terrible products :^)
>>
>>5314298
>sand paper is strong guys
>trust me its three times the thickness Im a scientist by the way

no thank you :^)
>>
>>5314299
>>5314300
>im a huge faggot please fuck my face
>>
>>5314299
>>5314300

I ain't selling shit here, you are with your shitty uninspired fuck my face robots. The model will be free to download once released. Alsp the bjd print was an example you cuntface the final item is layer printed.

I'm the one reporting you for posting a 3D printed toys thread and shilling your bullshit for money.
>>
File: Figma_Kaito03.jpg (45 KB, 800x368) Image search: [Google]
Figma_Kaito03.jpg
45 KB, 800x368
3d printed figma heads/faceplates is this a thing? has anyone done this?
>>
>>5314243

It's the easiest to print due to larger parts that just go together. BJD in comparison is very time consuming and more delicate to print. There is also rubber cord joints designs that are even easier but I personally dislike them because you can't pose them for shit.
>>
>>5314534

With well tuned printer you can print finger nail sized object with high detail so I would guess it's very well possible.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.