[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Godzilla figures so damn expensive? I collect transformers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Why are Godzilla figures so damn expensive? I collect transformers and even high end 3rd party stuff doesn't come close to the price of X-Play Kaiju. Seems anything Godzilla that isn't made by Ban Dai or a US company costs a fortune. Why? Vinyl figures seem like they would be cheap to produce.
>>
>biollante was like $200 this time last year

Oh well at least his movie is on blu-ray now
>>
>>5270784
Damn, every time I check ebay X-play shit is like $400+
>>
>>5270790

Yeah, though I'm not surprised it doubled in price. It seems like a really nice piece and for a character that's both liked and underrepresented
>>
>>5270784
>his
>>
>>5270872

Problem?
>>
Honestly, you get what you pay for. I'm not sure why you'd think 3rd party Transformers are a better value. The high quality Godzilla figures are painstakingly sculpted by in-demand sculptors who've worked on the actual movies in some capacity.

Meanwhile, with 3rd party TFs, you get some hideous unrefined sculpt, rarely any alternate parts like hands, and limited articulation, for around $100. The only reason they're successful is because Transfags usually don't know about stuff like Macross beyond Takatoku toys, SoC, Sentinel, Yamato/Arcadia, or countless other Japanese manufacturers.
>>
>>5270878
Transformers are much more expensive to produce per unit. They are loaded with hinges, joints, etc. A lot of high end Godzilla stuff are just statues.
>>
>>5270875
Biollante is a gril
>>
>>5270775
I'm a fucking chogokin collector and I feel the same

>SOC Gunbuster
>tons, of accessories, near perfect transformation, fucking huge, genius engineering in even the base
>180 dollars
>Mecha King Ghidorah
>is a literal retool of an older figure
>hardly any accessories or notable features aside from sculpt and articulation
>about the same price
>>
>>5271088
Gunbuster is also just a reissue (well, recolour)...
>>
>>5271075
Biollante has the body of a big guy and the soul of a young girl, just like /jp/ users.
>>
>>5271075
I can't believe I've never actually thought to look at what kind of lewd art of Biollante could be floating around.
>>
File: image.jpg (255 KB, 449x1197) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
255 KB, 449x1197
>>5271704
Kek
>>
>>5272534
Don't worry, I already tried looking. There isn't a lot, and most of what is there isn't great.

There is one good fanfic, though.
>>
Never bought a Godzilla figure before.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=BAN16102&mode=retail

Yay or nay?
>>
>>5272677
Fucking yes. I have the original with purple spikes. One of my favorites in the collection.
>>
File: 2015-09-14 17.04.38.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-14 17.04.38.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>5270878
i collect a good chunk of each of what you mentioned (primarily macross) and just got back into transformers. while you are right about them being ignorant third party companies like fansproject are pretty good in terms of quality and other stuff.

>>5271088
Mecha King Ghidorah is freaking huge has some great detail and poseability and does have some accessories including the g grip and the dorats. you are talking about the SHMA version right?
>>
>>5272709
oh shit nigga, thats really sick. been thinking of getting heavy arms, but i have the original version and dont know if worth
>>
>>5272885
heavy arms is worth it for just being another awesome figure. he has a whole new paintjob (which is really gorgeous) as well as having a battle damaged head. and he has some new sculpting and detail. as well as new parts. Plus how can you say no to more kiryu
>>
>>5272677
>Got that one for $55 during one of big bad's one day sales.

Feels good man.
>>
>>5272709
Yup. Forgot to specify, my bad
>>
Speaking of MonsterArts how's the 1964 Godzilla? Thinking of getting that new version of it that comes out this month.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.