[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have some question for you guys: What's the appeal of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: superlike-tinder-760x670.png (534 KB, 760x670) Image search: [Google]
superlike-tinder-760x670.png
534 KB, 760x670
I have some question for you guys:

What's the appeal of collecting toys?
Why do you do it?
Do you play with the toys, and if so how? Like, making up scenarios with them like kids do?
And if not playing, then what do you do with them? Maybe just display them in your house like if they were miniature statues?

Note that I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm genuinly curious.

pic unrelated
>>
>>5197680
>Note that I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm genuinly curious.
Every time.
>>
>>5197680
Toys sucked when i was a kid
>>
>>5197680

I smash my 70 dollar figmas together and pretend like they are fighting. i also make cool sound effects with my mouth.
>>
>>5197682
Honestly, it's a hobby that I might get into. As kid I loved action figures but we were poor so we couldn't really get any normal ones. Same with lego.

>>5197693
It was the only pic I could find on this PC, sorry
>>
>>5197702
We get threads asking this exact question with "genuinely curious, not even trolling" tacked on so many times it just seems like trolling now.
>>
I personally mostly collect dolls (BJDs, Azone Pure Neemo, Blythe etc.) and customize them, on top I have a few bigger pieces from series/games I like and some Nendos.

I started collecting because I suck at drawing but was always fond of photography.
I wanted to create something people could look at, a way to get all these stories, ideas and such out of my head.
Since I had a hard time drawing (and writing is still a mystery to me, even if I try hard) this seemed like the next logical thing.
If I am not taking pictures they just stand in glass cabinets, I'm not really "playing" with them.

So for me they are just an outlet for something that was already there. I'm not making up the stories for or with them, the story is there and they are just a visual representation for taking pictures.
>>
>>5197680
It's a seething mix of nostalgia, and the rest is just owning something the i think looks good, and is just fun to own. As an artist I can also get lots of enjoyment out of sculpts and paint applications. the only toys I play with are building bloks and such, and those are just really good at getting my head together when under a lot of stress.
>>
File: 1441035880298.jpg (101 KB, 917x960) Image search: [Google]
1441035880298.jpg
101 KB, 917x960
>>5197702

I'll bite but everyone that collects varies on reason. I started because there's figures from series I like and they're articulated enough that if I get bored on one pose I can easily fix them into another or interact even further with others.

Another side of the spectrum is photography if you can make the setup.

If you're really curious and have the time just look into the threads for info and resources and ask questions if the thread OP's don't exactly answer what you're looking for.

It's pretty eccentric but it's an interesting hobby to say the least.
>>
>>5197717
PS: Of course I like having them here too, and for some series I would probably get them without this in mind, but I think if I could express myself differentely in a way that pleases me I would have a loooot less toys.
>>
For figurines, i buy ones which are associated with a television show or movie, as i'm sure many others do. It's not so much for the play factor even though 'action' is in the name, when really they're just hunks of shaped PVC. But rather they serve as decoration and a physical reminder of a story that i enjoyed, to be able to bring what might even be the tiniest inkling of escapism from that show and translate it into the real world. And it's always super cool to have someone come over and recognize the characters, or at the very least appreciate the detail and engineering that goes in to them, which is particularly the true for Transformers and Gundam kits, the latter of poses the same thing as if your question 'why did you like lego as a kid?' which is essentially what these kits are, albeit on a painful, excruciatingly detailed and ultimately more rewarding scale. in short; Shit's just fun yo.
>>
>>5197763
are you talking about Hentai Statues, anon?
>>
>>5197763
>and a physical reminder of a story that i enjoyed, to be able to bring what might even be the tiniest inkling of escapism from that show and translate it into the real world.

This for me as well
>>
I didnt have toys when I was younger so now I do.
>>
Why does anyone collect anything?
>>
File: Playtime.jpg (589 KB, 800x890) Image search: [Google]
Playtime.jpg
589 KB, 800x890
Same reason people collect shoes, art, antiues and etc. It's something I like. I don't play with em as in the role-playing sense when I was a kid but I do enjoy taking photos and changing up my display. It also creates a discussion point when I have company over. It's a simple hobby. Some people spend there disposable income on expensive food that turns to shit, some go to expensive sports events to pay for overpriced booze and food. I like to spend my money on little moveable statues that garner a smile from me or invoke a memory whenever I walk by em. Some people do drugs.

I admit I hate how much I spend on this hobby though.
>>
I collect the ones of pretty ladies because they make my peepee feel funny
>>
>>5197680

CNN Plz Leave
>>
>>5197831

Why bother having hobbies at all.

Just work, fuck and die.

Hell even working and fucking are irrelevant.
>>
We have this thread every week.
>>
Oh look this thread again
>>
>>5197680
For some it's the hunt for it.
You are limited in hobbies and past times that make you hunt down and look for new products both online and offline.
Toy collecting is one of those few hobbies left where a street date is more of a time to either start hunting or watching sites to go live with orders/preorders.
Also like all past times it's just hitting the right feel good sensors for some people. Maybe nostalgia, maybe it's the only "good" collectible for that movie/show/series, or maybe they just want reminded of "simpler times"
Also in a day and age like now you can collect, sell down your collection and keep it going.
I know I would have quit years ago if I had no practical means of selling old stuff, it feel way to overwhelming and depressing having rooms full of shit I don't play with anymore.
>>
File: madbaitn.gif (1 MB, 400x254) Image search: [Google]
madbaitn.gif
1 MB, 400x254
>>5197680
>>
I get that this is posted a lot but why are some anons taking it so bad?
If it's bait then it's really weak because it has no real room to shitpost.
Are you anons that insecure about your hobby?
>>
>>5198121
I can't really answer for them, but I think it's solely because it happens so much. We had one of these threads not two days ago (it may still be in the catalog.) It just gets tiring having to explain why you're in a hobby when the answer is the same as every other hobby.
>>
>>5197680
>What's the appeal of collecting toys? Why do you do it?

I'm not exactly sure but I just have a need to own little versions of characters I love. I can't exactly explain why, maybe just to show my fandom or something.

>Do you play with the toys, and if so how? Like, making up scenarios with them like kids do?
And if not playing, then what do you do with them? Maybe just display them in your house like if they were miniature statues?

I don't play with them like I did as a kid but I like putting them in new poses to display.
>>
>>5197680
we are manchildren
>>
>>5197680
I kind of see it as a form of modular artwork. If I have a figure instead of a statue or something like that I can pose it or use it's accessories to create something that appeals to me and if I change my mind I can change the figure. Most of what I collect has some kind of a connection to a memory or the like. As an example I really like the IDW Transformers More Than Meets the Eye comic so I have as may figures from that crew as I can get. When I see my Lost Light crew it reminds me of the enjoyment I've gotten out of the comic. That's just me, other people collect for have something connected to something they enjoy or some people collect because they want to have a bigger collection then others.
As for playing with a collection. . .eh, sometimes. if bored or re-arranging things I might take some time to just fiddle with stuff. Kind of like keeping my hands busy or taking me back to a time when I played with toys on a regular basis.
Maybe I see it as a way to keep one foot in my childhood. Kind of the same reason to collect games, just takes you back to a better time.
>>
>>5197698
/thread
>>
I guess this is the place to ask.

Weren't statues and figurines allowed on here at one point? I swear I came in here ages ago and it was all threads about those damn lewd anime figures and it was just so fucking pathetic.
>>
>>5197702
if you wanna get into it what would you do with them? You don't need to do what everyone else is doing.
>>
>>5206226
I'm not an oldfag, and I don't remember, but considering this is a sfw work, and many statues are not super sfw, that's probably why they were banned.
>>
>>5198121

Because it's a stupid question anon. Would you ask someone why they collected sports memorabilia or porcelains figurines? People collect things because they like those things.

/thread
>>
File: IMG_3570.jpg (1 MB, 2019x2108) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3570.jpg
1 MB, 2019x2108
>>5197680
Honestly I just never stopped buying toys. There's always been a local comic shop in my hometown, when I was younger it was an independent venture that used to get stuff in from Japan, so as I hit my preteen and teen years I used to buy action figures, statues, etc from the games I was playing at the time, like Tekken for example.

I remember when I was about 15 or 16 they started getting in the Takara Binaltech figures, and as someone who'd loved Transformers and Beast Wars as a kid, and cars as a teenager, I was all over those.

Now I'm pretty heavily into art and illustration, so I try to justify certain purchases as being potentially useful as posing models, or just as works of art in their own right (Hot Toys, ThreeA, etc).

Pic related, god-tier pose reference tool.
>>
>>5197680
>What's the appeal of collecting toys?

What's the appeal of appreciating anything, from flowers to clothes to coffee to funny cat-shaped toothpick holders?

If you even have to ask this question you are probably a really boring person.
>>
>>5206226
>>5206226
>Weren't statues and figurines allowed on here at one point?
No not really. But for a while people posted statues all over the board and nobody enforced the rules.
>>
>>5197724
nice pic
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.