[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can 3D print create high quality toys?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11
File: 1443544667659.jpg (74 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1443544667659.jpg
74 KB, 600x600
Can 3D print create high quality toys?
>>
>>5192044

It can probably print statues, that you would then have to paint.
>>
>>5192044
Depends on the printer, the higher the resolution the more expensive it is. The Form 1 and 2 print very high resolution and can print in resin which is decent. You can use a cheaper printer and then smooth it out by putting putty on it and working it into the ugly grooves then sending it down to smooth everything out.

But, no 3D printer is going to give you a high quality toy right out of the box you'd have to put some effort into it.
>>
>>5192044
This is like asking if a car can iron the wrinkles out of your shirt by running it over. You're asking a question of results from something that has a completely different purpose behind its creation. 3D printers are most commonly used in the developmental stages, creating forms that are refined/cleaned up, then cast, then those casted pieces are cleaned up, and then sent off for mold making. Ask the question again in a decade and the role might change, but you're essentially trying to figure out something that is illogical at its very core.
>>
High end statues can be done, but joints that require constant friction might be a little while off.
>>
File: image.jpg (442 KB, 1221x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
442 KB, 1221x1500
>>5192208
Oh. Pic related.
>>
File: 1438965294244.gif (217 KB, 628x592) Image search: [Google]
1438965294244.gif
217 KB, 628x592
>>5192044
>High resolution profesional printers
YES they are used by figma,macfarlane and a shitload of other to make the originals from 3D files
>your $300 cheap home grade printer
kinda if you want to make a base and detail rework/sculpt over it and then mold and cast

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRpc4jQdpXA
and you also need to know 3D sculpting or pay for the files, a powder+laser printer or laser+resin its probably your best bet if you want afordable and decent
>>
>>5192307
figma?? Pretty sure those are done by hand, unless you are talking about specific ones?

I'm sure just about all of Bandai non-collector department toys are done 100% digitally. With Gunpla you often see the 3D printed prototypes when first photos show up.

But these are all using the 3D data or printout to make a mold where the actual final version are poured in and set.

I think OP means the final product is printed. But I think making them from molds will always be better, faster, and cheaper for mass produced figure.
>>
>>5192212
Did they just scan in the MU toy and smooth out the joints?
>>
>>5192398
Other way around. It's a digital file sculpted by gentle giant that was used to make the MU figure
>>
>>5192417
>>5192212
>>5192398
man, i was there at their booth watching them print stuff live and nothing looked as good as that. they only had the grainy stuff there.
Was the good printer just too big to bring to comic con or did they touch it up hardcore?
>>
>>5192196
It's not, we're going to eventually be able to do it. It's the future of technology and eventually it's going to replace the factories of old. We came so far so quickly with these things, I wouldn't be surprised if they could print things in high quality metals soon.

We'll be selling blue prints rather than the toys soon enough.
>>
>>5192432
Re-read my post. Please. Because you've supplemented the point in my post, the one you're disagree with, in your first sentence by saying "eventually." That's essentially what I'm saying, that OP's post isn't a question for today's 3D printer landscape because the technology limitations we currently face put the role of 3D printers at a different place of the production process (i.e. living up to the term "rapid prototyping") than the scope of his question seems to be implying. As the technology develops and technologies continue to enter into the open domain its role in all likelihood will expand to true production-grade. We may even see an age where molds are treated as a thing of the past and items are built with a 3D printer's work space, which would be a dream for everyone.

Today, though? No.
>>
If your trying to 3D print a toy as in everything from joints and moveable parts the answer is for not less than $50 000 no hobbyist printer could print out a decent articulated toy that would look decent and not fall apart and played with. Even at that range and higher the answer is maybe. In the future definitely. If your a hobbyist, a 3D printer would be fantastic for printing out accessories, and solid inorganic objects but would be terrible for organic shapes. I personally hope to do is get a 3D printer to make hybrid prototypes to eventually cast in resin. No 3D printer though could cost effectively make a commercial quality product at an efficient cost and time.

Pic related a 3D printed Figma prototype and I'm assuming Max Factory is using a $20k+ printer for that accuracy at that size and they'll probably still go the mixed media route before casting.
>>
File: 07141132_55a474b0b4e93.jpg (355 KB, 700x1050) Image search: [Google]
07141132_55a474b0b4e93.jpg
355 KB, 700x1050
There are these statues

http://figsoku.net/blog-entry-12453.html

■商品形態:3D石膏カラー造形 レジン塗装済み完成品

It is a mixture of 3D print color plaster and painted resin

■材質:3Dプリンターカラー/石膏/ABSライク・ゴムライク/レジン

Made of 3D printer color / plaster / ABS-like、rubber-like (??) / resin.

So they exist in figure form, but still is not 100% printed out.

Surface still looks rough, but it is something that is actually being sold.
>>
All toys are 3D printed during development. It's called rapid prototyping and it requires much hand tooling.
>>
>>5192188
Wow the Form 2's prints look amazingly uniform.
>>
>>5192332
>figma?? Pretty sure those are done by hand
kakakaka how naive of you anon-kun
A round minute 3:30 to 5:00
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVXyDj7JyZI
im sure some parts or some are entirely made by hand, but they also use 3D modeling, Scaning, and Printing like any modern company it doesn't mean it is bad or cheap it's just a tool
>>
Soon Chinese bootlegs will be perfect.
Only paint will remain icky unless it's no longer done by hand.
>>
There's this dude who sell kinda "Marvel legends printed bootlegs" and they look good painted (if you're into painting) been thinking of getting his skelletons since i can't aford revoltechs

also you can choose from a couple of printed quality and materials the price change but its still like only paying materials and im not getting a printer right now, maybe in a couple years when 3D printers get cheaper and better i saw a Dremel one that looked good
>http://www.shapeways.com/shops/strangefate
>>
>>5199142
or you can get this one for free

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:116571
>>
File: IMG_20151002_233652.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151002_233652.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4160
I have a solidoodle 3d printer. Most consumer printers can't really do the quality of a nice toy. It's also going to be up to the individual a lot as you are going to have to paint them. I have printed and painted a few low poly pokemon figures but a real toy would be a huge pain.

>>5192175
you could make toys you would just have to assemble them.
>>
You need one of those office printer-size machines that run for several grand, or else you're stuck with deformities and highly-visible print lines.
>>
>>5199592
By "several grand" I hope you meant to write "several hundred grand". The modern generation machines that are finally able to print with near flawless stepping are in the $200k+ range still.
>>
>>5199533
I really like those.
How are the tails on Charmander and Squirtle?
Have you ever considered making a Pikachu to round out the set?
>>
why not print molds to use with other traditional plastic making?
>>
>>5199728
Off the top of my head:
-printed molds would require even more clean up than machined metal molds to make them serviceable
-printed molds would have extremely limited life spans compared to metal molds by a factor of hundreds if not thousands of units produced
-printed molds wouldn't be able to consistently take the heat and pressure of molten plastic being extruded through it

If it were to be used for a limited production run where metal molds wouldn't price out, it also wouldn't make sense to choose a printed mold that requires extensive clean up when one could simply create a resin mold of an existing model and have similar results but with a fraction of the cost and time spent in making it.
>>
File: IMG_20151003_103206.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151003_103206.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4160
>>5199707
I have a pikachu already but i have considered printing a low poly one. I also made a totodile. I think the tails turned out alright.
>>
>>5199785
why even bother in this antiquated technology?
>>
This seems like 3D printed.
How do these guys do it?
Let's say I have Zbrush knowledge. I want to print models and stuff but I usually see 3D printed models done really badly, like from Shapeways. Is there like a company I could hire so they could make it for me?
>>
>>5203246
it's pretty clearly sculpted from a resin material.
>>
>>5203246
Looks more like a cast resin test shot primed grey to me.
>>
>>5203246
Models like these are typically hand-sculpted, 3D scanned into CAD format then jointed digitally. For stuff with simpler shapes like Robot Damashii figures, they may start with the CAD first.
>>
File: model3.jpg (50 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
model3.jpg
50 KB, 500x250
>>5203645
Bandai advertisement, but it gives a general idea of the process
http://tamashii.jp/t_item/57/
>>
>>5203246
Nothing comes out of 3D printers looking that good.

Even the best 3D Printers will need a lot of clean up after the fact to make it look this good.

>>5203645
There is no reason to hand sculpt before hand and then 3d scan it as 3d scanning isn't very accurate. Some is still hand sculpted, but usually smaller companies. These days they do start with the digital sculpt and do the engineering and joint application in-program.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.