[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hi there, i make poseable fairy creatures, is this the sort of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 17
hi there, i make poseable fairy creatures, is this the sort of place that appreciates this sort of thing?
>>
I don't think you're supposed to post like your store or stuff, but I don't see why you can't post your things.

Not super crazy about the face, it's just not my style, but I can definitely see it appealing to some people. The craftsmanship looks nice, though. What kind of posability? Wireframed or is over a figure?
>>
File: 20141215_123834.jpg (661 KB, 1588x978) Image search: [Google]
20141215_123834.jpg
661 KB, 1588x978
>>4600777
it has both wire and doll joints, the tail, ears, and wings have wire for posing, and the head, arms, and legs can move. thanks for the critique, this one is the 4th one ive made now and they all have slightly different faces, is there anything in particular you dont like? ill post a couple more to compare
>>
I dunno, I think its pretty neat looking. I'd buy one as a housewarming present for a couple weirdos I know
>>
File: 20141209_120611.jpg (1 MB, 857x1142) Image search: [Google]
20141209_120611.jpg
1 MB, 857x1142
that last one was the third, and this ones the second
>>
this ones the very first, the seam where his face meets the fur isnt even hidden like i started to do now
>>
These are cool! They seem like something that you'd see for sale at the renaissance festival.
>>
I can appreciate the craftsmanship, but these are p. creepy tbh
>>
>>4600761

Reminds me of Dark Crystal, pretty neat, has potential
>>
>>4600787
This one is definitely my favorite.

>>4600801
Yeah, I bet these would kill at a renaissance faire. They remind me of these: http://fantasypuppet.com/dragon.htm (warning: super old site)
>>
now all you need to do is make up some kind of backstory and a superstition, pretend it dates back a long time to old traditions, and you have yourself the next elf on a shelf
>>
>>4600804
lol i try to cruise on the border of cute and creepy
>>
>>4600804
BTW, if you think thats creepy, ill post one of the figures i made, for some reason they never did develop over to the cute side, i think its the fur that helps
>>
>>4600816
This is SO COOL! God damn, is that Sculpey? You should make some Warcraft-esque goblin statues.
>>
>>4600809
You are doing a great job. How long does it take to make your figures?
>>
File: 111.jpg (587 KB, 1306x770) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
587 KB, 1306x770
>>4600820
thanks! yes its sculpy, if you are into game figures i am in the process of learning how to make game tiles, ill share just in case, but ill have to find the photo i took
>>
You do some that go even farther into creepy. You've got that ugly/weird/cute thing down, but you could hit another demo with going full on creepy. Like cthulhu- and lamprey-esque faces. May bird faces?

>>4600808
If you try to start selling them, this is a good idea.
>>
>>4600826
It would be really interesting to see this guy's interpretation of the whole cthulhu mythos.
OP, what's the height/scale of your figures?
>>
>>4600761
>>4600787
>>4600793
>>4600796
>>4600816
>>4600825
These are really fucking creepy but really well-made.

You've got a gift, OP.
>>
>>4600828
I'd buy a tentacle-headed fairy Nyarlathotep.
>>
>>4600820
here it is, this was my first attempt i did about a month ago, i stopped because i needed to go to the art store to by a tool i needed to proceed and in the meantine started making these fairies, then i just kind kept making them
>>
>>4600828
is a girl, but i get guy a lot hehe, the figurines are about 4-5" and the dolls are about 9-13"
>>
>>4600830
thanks man, i appreciate the feedback
>>
>>4600761
You're very talented OP. You should definitely stop by here more often and show us what you're working on/completed.
>>
>>4600821
believe it or not the small sculpy figures take as much time as the large 13" dolls. i kind of steered away from them because of that, but it takes me 2 days to make one, i still need to time it exactly though im not sure how many hours, its here and there throughout 2 days
>>
>>4600838
>>4600845
OP I totally agree with this guy, you make nice figures, clearly you have talent
>>
>>4600848
thank you, i posted a few times in /ic/ but there wasnt much interest so i stopped posting, i thought i would try over here and glad i did!
>>
Yeah, definitely creepy stuff, but hey, faeries are usually creepier than not, so it works.
>>
>>4600846
It's very impressive, I thought it took at least a month.
¿What material do you use to sculpt?
>>
>>4600838
entirely effable
>>
>>4600846
It's very impressive, I thought it took at least a month.
What material do you use to sculpt?
>>
>>4600854
i use super sculpy firm, from there i have a few random tools such as a sewing needle. small paint brush (believe it or not great for blending seams) a wipeout tool, and a sculpting knife as the primary tools
>>
I get the feeling I just saw this recently, did you already post this on Reddit? I honestly don't now if it was there or tumblr where I've seen these. Possibly both. Weird shit yo. Seems like something /cgl/ would be into as well. Possibly /diy/.
>>
>>4600885
wow i do post on reddit, i post in somethingimade and pics, i seldom get any notice except for somethingimade so i am surprised anyone would have seen it!
>>
>>4600825
If I had a garden I'd want that green one in the middle for it.
>>
Nightmare fuel
>>
>>4600943
but how they are smiling lol
>>
Hey they really do the creepy/cute/ugly thing really well. You have got so talent. I would for sure try to make a buck or two off of this if I was as good as you. Etsy I think is a website you can sell home made stuff on.
>>
>>4600909
Was probably the somethingImade post then.
>>
OP here, ill link my deviantart page for anyone interested in following things as i make them, i have a link on there for my facebook art page too if you prefer facebook. http://twyliteskyz.deviantart.com/
>>
>>4600982
My friend does some of the same stuff and I figured you'd want to check out her stuff. Just google Lee's Menagerie
>>
>>4600761
Do you sculpt your figures entirely out of sculpy, or do you cast the pieces in plastic (resin)?
>>
I've see a bunch of wire framed fantasy plush toys like these. they're all neat af, but I probably wouldn't ever buy one or commission one. not because of the cost but.... For other reasons. I just dont really want one.
gj tho
>>
Very cool stuff. It looks like it should be on some of the more designer oriented toysites. Plasticandplush come to mind.
>>
>>4600838
m'lady
>>
>>4600838
I think your cat might be retarded.
>>
File: 1411682900152.gif (906 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1411682900152.gif
906 KB, 500x281
I think they're adorable.
>>
>>4600825
Second from the right is incredibly cool! Look at that lil imp-goblin-guy! Heheh, his boots are wonderful. I wonder who he stole them from. Probably some stupid gnomes.
>>
>>4600832
These are epic. Would've loved to use them in one of my past D&D campaigns. Keep up the good work! Have you taken any sculpture or ceramics classes?
>>
these are really cool OP, do you sell them on etsy or anything? at the risk of ridicule, im telling you now you definitely need to make a tumblr and etsy page for these guys. dont let your potential go to waste, you got something neat here.
>>
OP you should look into making some with less of a solid armature inside and instead a handwire (like the shoulder sitters//Woodbabies at renn faires), your designs look like they'd take well to creating an illusion of alive-ness when moving.

>>4602362
fuckin hell I'm laughing
>>
Creepy but in a nice way. Got any more pictures?
>>
>>4600787
This one reminds me of Stitch.
>>
Wow, nice, and quite unique. Keep it up OP.
>>
kind of reminds me of Brian Froude,
>>
>>4602161
I'm on the same page as you, I like them but I'd never want one in my home. Not because I couldn't afford one, but because they just wouldn't look good inside my house.

I think I'd love these ugly little boogers to death if they were characters in a movie or something, but I'd hate it if their fate was to end up in some secondhand store as some sort of mystery plush waiting to be pawned off of someone else for $2 or end up as a white elephant party gift. There's just too much work put into these for that kind of thing to happen, y'know?

I'm probably giving off mixed messages here, but I guess my point is these are cool and you are cool OP, so I hope you can cater to the people who like them.
>>
Oh my gosh. I looove these! They're adorable. What talent you have, OP! You should definitely definitely sell at Renaissance Festivals. They'd sell like hotcakes! I would love to buy one of your pieces eventually. Guess I'll have to save up and keep stalking your Deviantart!
>>
le bump
>>
>>4611387
OP thanks anon!
>>
>>4602353
thank you ill check it out, never heard of it
>>
>>4611387
You literally just opened a new thread even though this one hadn't autosaged.

Stop shitting up /toy/, one thread is enough.
>>
These remind me of Brian Froud's art. I fucking love these. I would buy these for gifts in a heartbeat.
>>
>>4602362
its a toy, not real lol. the absent gaze is his normal face
>>
Jim Hanson would be proud
>>
>>4611397
OP, i actually didnt bump this post, someone else did. i couldnt have found it if i wanted to because im not that sure of how to do that anyway
>>
>>4611409
/toy/ is not a very fast board, most threads died from age/unpopularity before they hit post limit/autosage unless it's a general. It spams the board if you have more than one thread going since it means less space for another thread until something else gets deleted, meanwhile one topic gets two threads.

We also don't have a dedicated archive so finding posts can be hell unless you remember when the thread was made.

Sorry for getting upset since you are new here, after all. Continue on with the gremlin fairies.
>>
>>4611393
No problem. I figured you didn't know your original thread was still floating around.

>>4611397
You're cute anon. I was just being helpful. I'm not posting these. I'm too lazy and uncreative to do this sort of thing.
>>
>>4611446
oh crap i just saw how its set up, you are right. next time ill check the search option to see if the last post is still there next time
>>
>>4611343
Neat.
>>
File: Dota2_Model_Puck01_New.jpg (289 KB, 600x764) Image search: [Google]
Dota2_Model_Puck01_New.jpg
289 KB, 600x764
you should totally try to make Puck the dragon fairy
>>
>>4612078
I'd like to see that.
>>
File: ooak.jpg (148 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
ooak.jpg
148 KB, 960x720
I'm honestly more interested in this one. I think it's super cool looking and a good mix of creepy and adorable.
>>
>>4600816
i dont know why but i kind of want that
>>
>>4600761
I like it OP, but I do have a question. Did you take some influences from Sparky from Lilo and Stitch? Not calling you out, just curious if thats what the face seems to remind me of.
>>
>Big Boy Blue
>Female Edition
>>
>>4618788
>not a That Girl
>dolls aren't made for lewd

Newfriend, you should lurk more and stop reading those sill /tg/ pastas.
>>
>>4618690
no, i get inspiration from the movie Labyrinth though. to be honest i dont remember sparky, but i only have seen lilo and stitch 1
>>
>>4618809
>>4618809
sigh, ok i admit, im confused and dont know what either of you are saying i am defeated in mental combat
>>
>>4616688
i have had a couple people say that, but i still dont know why? is there anything in particular that makes that one cool? i had a friend say they liked the feet. is it the way it sits? or the face itself?
>>
here is my newest fairy, he is currently the smallest so far at 6.5 inches. i gave him a beard initially i was afraid that would make him too elder looking, but somehow it just made him middle aged
>>
I'm not into the fairies faces but i'd like to see a lizard/dragon plush from you. I think the material/colors you use would be perfect.
>>
>>4621069
>sigh, ok i admit, im confused and dont know what either of you are saying
>>4621069
Third party here, Big Boy Blue is a /tg/ story about a creepy guy who breaks up a couple. It has nothing to do with you, and I think it only got mentioned because it's "creepy", and so are your dolls.
>>
>>4621266
i like fairies, but im actually more of a dragon person, so i definately will be making a dragon type soon, i own a bearded dragon myself, and always have had some sort of reptile set
>>
>>4621608
i didnt mean to put set, that was part of the captcha heh
>>
Could you do a mogwai? Maybe a gremlin too?
>>
>>4621073
Combination thereof. I just like the face and feet and the overall aesthetics of this one better.
>>
>>4621077
Shit, these things look so delicate, I'd be terrified I'd destroy them just through posing. On that note, how would you suggest cleaning these little buggers?
>>
>>4621073
Not to put words in >>4621893's mouth, but I might suggest it's because it looks more "realistic;" the combination of features is a bit more anchored in Earthly, vaguely-mammalian biology, and the face, from that angle at least, looks a bit more bestial, there're no fæ wings. It might just be that it's more "empathetic" because it looks less outright-fantastic and a bit more like a beast you might actually find in a jungle.
>>
>>4622081
i would recomend a feather duster, they actually arent too delicate, the joints were made for that, the only thing i can see being of concern would be dropping in on its face on a tile floor. its a polymer clay so not too brittle but its not plastic either!
>>
>>4622291
Haha, I actually meant their wings! Some of them are very spindly; what materials do you use for those parts?
>>
hey op not to steal your thunder but i follow someone on flickr who makes similar creatures as you do and ive been interested in a while in trying to make them myself but i have no idea where to start

how do you attach the sculpey head to a plush body? and do you just use stuffed animal patters for the plush body parts? i thought they took forever to make but since you said it just takes 2 days or so to make something that cool i'm thinking maybe i should attempt it
>>
>>4623080
same anon here im trying to include pictures but every time i do the upload fails
>>
File: missmonster.jpg (236 KB, 536x611) Image search: [Google]
missmonster.jpg
236 KB, 536x611
>>4623088
trying again, pic related is by missmonstermel on flickr
>>
File: monstermel1.jpg (220 KB, 643x636) Image search: [Google]
monstermel1.jpg
220 KB, 643x636
>>4623705
since pics are working i'll share more of this artist's work. if anyone has advice as to how to make creatures like this i'd love to hear it.
>>
File: monstermel.jpg (169 KB, 632x635) Image search: [Google]
monstermel.jpg
169 KB, 632x635
>>4623716
sculpting the heads and such i can figure out, its just attaching them to the plush bodies i'm not sure about. should i try looking up how to make poseable teddybears and go from there?
>>
>>4623705
>>4623716
>>4623721
I adore missmonster's work. I'd marry that girl.

Getting a real Froud vibe from OP's work. Have you ever seen those handcrafted Scandinavian style troll figurines? They're usually a sort of fur and papier mache type thing, but similar to this style.
>>
>>4623080
hi there! i will link you to this great tutorial, where it will answer a lot of answers, http://posableartdolls.deviantart.com/art/Armature-to-Art-Doll-Part-1-195752605
i didnt make it but its pretty good :). if you really want to get into doing them and would like someone to get answers from and such you can go to my deviant page and go to my facebook art page, i do go on my deviant page but not nearly as much as facebook! http://twyliteskyz.deviantart.com/
>>
>>4623721
yes i love her work! i saw her on deviantart before and even orders a couple bandanas from her etsy page. at the time she was more into masks and cloth work but its cool that shes makeing more dolls. there is another person that i swore was her but apparently not? i dunno take a look and tell me if you wouldnt think thats her work. http://remjie.com/
>>
i made a new moss fairy, which i named Mossley. but later discovered i shouldve went with Randy Moss. actually in the begining i thought i messed this one up as it was looking like oscar the grouch and more like a mold fairy. but i added on lime gream heavily and it brightend him up and made him presentable again lol
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.