[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Designer Toys General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12
File: DX_TINAT_140206_0260_LoRes.jpg (108 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
DX_TINAT_140206_0260_LoRes.jpg
108 KB, 1200x800
This board used to be creative! Now it is nothing but a vehicle for advertising. We need to bring the art back!
>>
>>4539446
Shit's mad gay, only 3A and some GITD shit is worth a damn.

>Unarticulated Mexican gangbanger that looks like he's from Sesame Street
Where's the fun in that? Go fuck yourself.
>>
File: LookGina.jpg (107 KB, 448x336) Image search: [Google]
LookGina.jpg
107 KB, 448x336
"Look Gina, hipstershit."
>>
File: Urbanvinyl_456.jpg (34 KB, 456x273) Image search: [Google]
Urbanvinyl_456.jpg
34 KB, 456x273
>>4539451
These figures are unique and beautiful!

>b-but its not anime waifus or dark gritty shit so its bad!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>4539460
>implying vynil hipstershit was ever accepted on /toy/
>>
>>4539462
Nice strawmanning

Not seeing much articulation on those by the way.
>>
>>4539446
>This board used to be creative!
>Let's bring back the creativity by posting stuff other people made!
Have a designer thread if you want, but drop the condescending attitude. That's the sort of thing that makes people want to call it hipstershit.
>>
>>4539474
Nice strawmanning

Only fwoosh doomkick shits care about articulation, that type of person has breached 3A now. They went from Hasbro/Mattel/NECA to Bandai/Kaiyodo/Max Factory and now they've found 3A.
>>
>>4539460
>This garbage
>Ever okay

We have tons of 3A and Glyos threads, because they're toys

This is statueshit for trust fund hipsters
>>
>>4539460
This board has never liked vinyl figures. They're gaudy, expensive, and quite frankly unaesthetic as fuck (who wants the 60$ 3" blue octopus with blowfish hands?How is that art?) You've got containment forums for this stuff, go there.
>>
>>4539486
3A is not toy for you to crash bang boom with your ML's and Transmorphers. They are works of art for display. Glyos is some Mcdonalds toy shit
>>
>>4539484
How am I strawmanning? I just pointed out they don't have much articulation.
>>
>>4539486
Glyos is an overrated overpriced toy line where 3/4 of the stuff looks like the Michelin Man. It's hipster shit that does well online, but would bomb at Family Dollar.

The creator is a manchild with too much money who goes around buying up the rights to any old, dead toyline that's sold for dirt cheap, because he thinks others still give a damn about said toys, only for his new version to only vaguely resemble the original. I assume it's a combo of "change for the sake of change" and so many trademarks and such expiring that he didn't even buy a complete franchise.

If you like these toys you should be ashamed of yourself, for having shit taste.
>>
>>4539499

The creator of Glyos hasn't made any licensed lines. 4Horsemen have made some licensed version of old dead toylines using Glyos joints, and October Toys are doing that now with Skeleton Warriors or whatever it's called.

But the actual creator of Glyos and the company that makes Glyos don't make those lines, they just gave other companies permission to use their joint design.
>>
>>4539484
>>Only fwoosh doomkick shits care about articulation

Haha, no; ever since the articulatedJapanese figure market really exploded beyond just mecha, Japanese toy-only elitists have become super nitpicky on how much articulation a toy has. Look at how at each other throats Figuarts and Figma fans are, even though both lines have practically the same articulation.
>>
>>4539499
U mad bro?
>>
>>4539510
But figma don't have those pull down legs.
>>
>>4539499
>>4539491
>>4539484
> my toys are better than your toys!

>>4539446
This shit isn't allowed here because it isn't toys. Go back to wherever you dragged yourself from and hope the shit posting ends
>>
>>4539499
>Overpriced
>all PVC glyos run from $2 to $12
>vinly from $12 to $25
>Overpriced

Topkek mate
>>
>>4539524
>Implying these aren't overpriced for the shit they are
>>
>>4539524
>colorways released once
>in demand colors create artificial scarcity
>literally no reason they can't just do another run of orange or pink or metallic red or whatever

Yep, it's hipstershit.
>>
>>4539510
>Look at how at each other throats Figuarts and Figma fans
But they don't even seem to fight much. The real shitposting seems to be whenever NECA or Hasbro gets involved.
>>
>>4539539
>they don't even seem to fight much
>NO FIGUARTS GIRLS LOOK LIKE SHIT
>YEAH BUT FIGMA HEROES LOOK LIKE SHIT
>NO THEY DON'T
>YES THEY DO
>PROPORTIONS
>SHUT UP SUBJECTANON
>>
>>4539484
>Only fwoosh doomkick shits care about articulation

Quality designer toy posters everybody, their toys don't have to be toys.
>>
>>4539539

Nah it's anytime there's two toys people want to compare directly. It was approximately just as bad with the Revoltech and Robot Damashii EVA figures and that didn't have the East vs. West component that most of those shitposting festivals have nowadays.

Actually I think Revoltech vs. Robot Damashii EVA threads were probably what really started what is now a grand tradition, of there being certain toys you literally cannot mention without a thread being completely derailed into a neverending shitstorm because two companies made figures of the same character and people want to argue over which is better.

Then it was figma vs. NECA Robocop, Revoltech vs. NECA Aliens, and it has since spread to Iron Man, Spider Man, Predator, and a variety of other things.
>>
>>4539542
Again, not really. And both of those statements are generally agreed as true. The closest we've had to arguing was the Cardcaptor Sakura and people seemed to generally agree that the figma looked a little bit better but that one seemed to be based on the anime while the other was the manga. The only time things have gotten messy is when subjectanon gets involved. Even then it's not figuarts vs figma as much as its sane people vs subjectanon.

All of that is nothing compared to what happens whenever NECA makes the same figure as another company.
>>
File: 1415480457937.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1415480457937.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
>>4539446
Oh no, my pain is coming back!
>be me
>collect toys, some 80-90s stuff, some movie stuff
>the only other collector you know is with vynil
>all his collection contains NOTHING but rabbits and bears with different paint/faces. only rabbits and bears of the same style
>he think that his collection is art while i just buy toys
Fuck
you
>>
>>4539604
He sounds like a cool guy.
>>
>>4539446
>only "art" is creative!
call me when one of those hipstershit vynils have anywhere near the engineering behind a Soul of Chogokin, a Riobot, a post 2007 Transformer, or the and craftsmanship behind a Figuart, a figma or a NECA figure.
>>
File: laughingshitconsole.gif (2 MB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
laughingshitconsole.gif
2 MB, 768x432
>>4539626
>NECA
>craftmanship
>>
File: IsobellePascha_Funkake_v002.jpg (37 KB, 558x1024) Image search: [Google]
IsobellePascha_Funkake_v002.jpg
37 KB, 558x1024
>>4539626
Never owned a SOC, RIOBOT, or Transformer but Isobelle is better than any of those other damn things. Everything I've owned by Bandai or Sentinel has been shit that falls apart.
>>
>>4539638
>3A shit
>Engineering or craftsmanship
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>4539638
I fucking hate 3A's "human" faces, they are disgusting for some reason.
>>
File: 1399591452962.jpg (60 KB, 630x443) Image search: [Google]
1399591452962.jpg
60 KB, 630x443
>>4539638
>3A
>Better than anything
>>
>>4539645
It's probably because they look retarded.
>>
all these things look completely unprofitable. No wonder 30 year old interns for apple love them.
>>
>>4539638
So you only had Sentinel's EVA 01 and Bandai's D-Arts? Okay.
>>
>>4539638
>Everything I've owned by Bandai or Sentinel has been shit that falls apart.

Please, tell us exactly what you owned. I want to know if you choose the worst figures they've ever made, you got defective items, or your hands are made of ham.
>>
Stay faggot, /toy/.
>>
>>4539499
Oh wow, is this becoming a copypasta?

I remember when you posted this exact thing in a general last month.

>>4539446
Sorry, but most vinyl is really crappy.

One of the big exceptions is Real x Head and even then it's fucking expensive.
>>
>>4539655
The wrist guards on my SHF Iron Man Mark 42 just fall off. The mandibles and wrist computer cover on my SHM Predator Wolf just fall off. The hair on my SHF Sadako just fall off. The hands of my D-Arts Mewtwo just fall off.
>>
>>4539452
/thread
>>
>>4539446
That Hellboy is pretty fun.
>>
>>4539524
>>vinly from $12 to $25
Don't try that bullshit on me a lot of this stuff runs 70-150$ for a 5" figure not to mention creators only making 3-250 so the prices shoot up because 'scarcity' that the vinyl autist so crave.
>>
>>4539684
Only one I have from those is Mewtwo, and the hands of mine stay attached. Not gonna lie, D-Arts was one of the worst Bandai lines QC wise, but I have a shitton of Figuars and Super Robot Chogokins and they are pretty damn goog.
>>
>>4539446
>>4539790
I'm not sure what to make of that Hellboy. It's like he was crossed with Eggman.
>>
>>4539645
I think the male humans look alright. The adventure Kartel line has some good male head sculpts. The TK line is just your basic generic AZN face with crazy anime hair

The female head sculpts on the other hand are disgusting. I never liked them. The forehead is too elongated or the cheeks are just too fat. It's a fucking mess.
>>
File: eggman.jpg (35 KB, 560x416) Image search: [Google]
eggman.jpg
35 KB, 560x416
>>4539828
Eggboy, then?
>>
File: Taaffe_-_We_Are_Not_Afraid.jpg (7 KB, 300x355) Image search: [Google]
Taaffe_-_We_Are_Not_Afraid.jpg
7 KB, 300x355
>>4539488
>who wants the 60$ 3" blue octopus with blowfish hands?How is that art?
So you're a generation y faggot, who was born after post-modernism art era began, which is mostly a bunch of squiggles and lines, and you still weren't even born when minimalism art era ended (mayhaps you were born just in time for neo-minimalism?), which
are just solid colors and maybe a simple shape or three, yet you don't consider that to be art?
So what do you consider art? Stuffing spaghettiOs into your vagina or just commercialshit?
You're fucking pedestrian, bro.
>inb4 all post-classical art is just a money laundering scheme for organized crime and corrupt businesses, by paying exorbitant amounts of money from art dealers that hires local smack junkies for their shit shavings

>>4539559
>The only time things have gotten messy is when subjectanon gets involved.
Hah. By the time i got into the fray, there were already TWO threads arguing over the MK7 vs MK42, and the main thread was almost 2/3rd over. Only reason you think it got worse was because you got mad. Probably because i was poking holes in the shit arguments like comparing two different designs with two different thicknesses, the fact that they were deriding a super poseable toy as having "shit articulation" when it could do all the classic and hard poses, and had a good laugh at blatant lies like the hands were massive on the Figma (inspite of the Figuarts being smaller and having the same sized hands).
Those exaggerations and lies are totally sane... but considering how fanboyism is commonplace and normal, you can consider that sane.
Nevermind all the other shitstorms over which NGE figure is better and the CLICKCLICKCLICK trolls.
>>
>>4539872
Are you Subjectanon? I was wondering.. what toys do you collect?
>>
>>4539446
I think vinyl would be a lot more appreciated by us if they didnt use the same mold over and over again in a shared series. Like they can use that chunky-wonky style they use but various characters with diverse builds.
>>
>>4539901
But action figures do the same thing. Every He-Man is just the same parts over and over. Every Joe is the same parts over and over. Ever Marvel is the same parts over and over.
>>
>>4539887
>I was wondering.. what toys do you collect?
Basically everything.

Or are you asking what i like most? Mecha. Not a fan of superhero robots though, and that includes Gundam Gundams. Grunts like Zakus and DOMs are great
>>
>>4539942
Do you have a pic of your collection? I am very interested in seeing your collection! I always look for your posts in threads you are one of the few good posters left.
>>
It's designs on par with shit found in jr. high school kids' notebook doodles and not even done with irony. Then mass-produced using the cheapest affordable technology and sold with a 90%+ gross-margin because "herpaderp it's art".
>>
>>4539942
>that includes Gundam Gundams. Grunts like Zakus and DOMs are great
As much as I dislike you, I cannot deny that you have excellent taste in mecha.

Tell me subjectanon, what is your favorite grunt suit, and if so, what are your favorite ace colors.?
>>
>>4539446
Oh hellboy, what have they done to you?
>>
File: 1415790102363.jpg (920 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1415790102363.jpg
920 KB, 1024x683
>>4539945
>implying u'am stupid
I've posted some of my bookcases and sets before, but i'd rather not out myself openly just so a couple of butthurt weebs holding a grudge can create a shitstorm when something of mine shows up.
Not that i ever keep my collection on display all at once though, as it always changes.

>>4539964
Dude, i always have good taste. Why else would i mock poor sculpts?
DOMs are my favorite, especially the ground ones and I really don't care about ace colors. I'm a fan of army building like they're weapons of war, not parade shit.
I love muh realistikully painted 5 story mecha
>>
File: SIMPSONS.jpg (50 KB, 622x517) Image search: [Google]
SIMPSONS.jpg
50 KB, 622x517
I like the TF2 and Simpsons blind boxes, are they hipster shit too?
>>
>>4540413
its something kidrobot has to do out of necessity because they need to keep that store in las vegas open.
>>
>>4539907
Really? No wonder this hipster stuff is so soulless when it copies the same business practice of reusing parts.
>>
>>4539945
>one of the few good posters left
>is what drove a lot of people off

That's a good one
>>
>>4539995
It's "Doms". Not "DOMs".
>>
>>4539945
>you are one of the few good posters left.
>subjectanon
What the actual fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>4539872
See:
>>4539958
>It's designs on par with shit found in jr. high school kids' notebook doodles and not even done with irony. Then mass-produced using the cheapest affordable technology and sold with a 90%+ gross-margin because "herpaderp it's art".
>>
>>4539472
>>4539604
>>4539626
>spell "vinyl" wrong the exact same way each time
>talk about how shitty it is
>while posting about it again and again

I don't get you but okay
>>
File: ss (2014-11-19 at 07.59.30).png (13 KB, 568x268) Image search: [Google]
ss (2014-11-19 at 07.59.30).png
13 KB, 568x268
>>4541259
lol.
>>
>>4539446
>Designer Toys
Aka overpriced status shit for non-toy lovers
>>
>>4541639
/thread
>>
I'm just thinking, are these things popular with children? Im trying to imagine if there is a commonality among them, if they do collect this stuff. For example I could imagine a child thinking his mine craft collection, most notably the Lego and jakks/jazzs?, because of their simple esthetic. How does the hipster art toy community view those franchises anyway? I know the toybreak.com like all Lego and they do mock jazzwares quite a lot. Haven't seen them talk about the minecraft stuff though.
>>
I don't understand the appeal of these toys.
>>
>>4541655
i dont think these are popular with kids these days. if it cant be bought in the store then they probably dont have or know about it because parents dont get to involved with what their kids are in to. i have no idea what kind of person collects these or even where they get them and how much they are.
>>
>>4541664
they are not really toys. just highly stylized, bright colored knickknacks with no joints for people who want to pretend they are into toys just to fit in with a small group or something or so they seem special.
>>
>>4541664
I don't understand the appeal of dolfies.
>>
>>4541672
but some do have joints and 1/6 figures are designer toys
>>
>>4541728
You know what they all are? Toys, plain and simple. You know why glyos is so popular around here? Because Matt cares bout toys first and foremost, not slapping the word art or designer on them, they are simple toys to be played with.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.