[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I always wondered... why doesn't /toy/ make their own toyline?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9
File: 1406620022482.png (49 KB, 196x196) Image search: [Google]
1406620022482.png
49 KB, 196x196
I always wondered...

why doesn't /toy/ make their own toyline?
>>
>>4324085
The same reasons that /tg/ never makes a coherent ruleset, /co/ never makes a full comic, and /v/ never makes vidya gaems
>>
because /toy/ can't write good lore
>>
That requires a lot of money, skills, education, and communication.

Definitely something an Anonymous image board cannot do.
>>
>>4324085
Why doesn't /tv/ make a movhahahahahaha
>>
define what a toy is
>>
>>4324093
/co/ is making a super hero moms, and they have web comic threads, and they have that /co/llette thing
>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy

because there are many types of toys
>>
>>4324116
Those things don't take money. Sure, we could try to do a kickstarter but no one here has sculpting skills or the production know how. We have plenty of people who could design toys just not make the designs 3D.
>>
>>4324130
I'd say what you guys can do is put out some designs made by everyone and people can 3D print the shit at their own leisure.
>>
>>4324130
or you know, start a trend on twitter over simple objects that one can play with, like paper craft and bottle caps.
>>
File: onion.png (32 KB, 193x193) Image search: [Google]
onion.png
32 KB, 193x193
>>4324085
There's a difference between discussion and development. /vg/ has an Amateur game dev general which would sort of count in their case, but at the moment we have no such thing. Closest would be customs general.
>>
>>4324085
There was that anon that was making a kickstarter for some mechs.
>>
>>4324085
It would require lots of time, effort, money, and cooperation. Not to mention someone who knows how to run a business.
>>
>>4324116
>super hero moms
Only has like 5 people posting, as evident by how slowly the threads move. And they've yet to produce actual comics, iirc

The web comics are made by individuals who browse /co/, not a concerted group effort by /co/ users

/co/lette is just a mascot
>>
>>4324085
Because we're not organized.

We could never agree on what to do, verify which people have useable skills, let alone trusting each other with the kickstarter money.
>>
There was a guy, I believe it was called iron legions. He 3d printed some mechs and such, kind of a build your own army type of thing. Think he did a kickstarter, not sure how it went.
>>
>>4324184
>how to run a business
This, a thousand times. there are thousands of people with great ideas, but the objective of a company is to be successful. if there isn't more money coming in than money going out into production and development, that company dies.

shit all you want on cold-hearted execs killing off toy lines like Busou Shinki and Xevoz, but those guys do the dirty work to keep their companies afloat. if your goal is just to get your toys into the world, you might not last long.

that said, there are a lot of little companies that get their stuff into the market. small companies like Marauder Gun Runners, or even 3A. these guys probably have some business savvy, but it seems like they get around a lot of problems by simply putting out stuff so incredible that they have no competition. also, they are small, so they don't have to worry about competing with Hasbro and Mattel for shelf space in Walmart or Toys R Us.

a successful business needs either an icy reptile heart, incredible charisma to attract stupidly talented employees, or a product so amazing that people will buy your stuff regardless of shitty business practices.
>>
>>4324205
This guy knows. Before you even get to the point where you'd need to start a business you'd have to agree on at least the core concept of the toy you want to make. Too many ideas, none of them universally liked. If you make it out of that stage you're doing it with a portion of /toy/ but not the entirety.
>>
I wanna see someone make some outdoor toys that get popular. Too many action figure oriented ideas here.
>>
>>4324235
Like high end Nerf compatible guns?
>>
>>4324132
3D printing requires being able to sculpt digitally, which we also lack knowledge in. Plenty of people here are 2D artists, but almost no one knows the first thing about traditional or digital sculpting.
>>
>>4324093
But... /tg/ has made lots of coherent rulesets.
>>
>>4324321
How do you know exactly?
>>
>>4324085

It's too hard.

It's much easier form them to bitch and complain about everything
>>
>>4324085
Most of /toy/ just want toys of existing franchises. Figmas of anime characters, Figuarts of Toku, RDs of gundam, Revoltechs/SoC//Riobots/SRCs of mecha, etc. Even if those people say they want original stuff, they can be snobs about it and dump on it if the quality isn't up to what they expect of long established lines. Not having as much articulation as a Figma is like a cardinal sin here.
>>
>>4324344
Anon pays attention to the content created. There are a few with the capability to design some cool toys, they just don't bother. Except that one guy with the generic mechs.
>>
>>4324381
are there 3D printers that can make sofubis?
>>
>>4324390
No. Entirely different process.
>>
>>4324130
>>4324321
>lack of sculpting skills
Speak for yourselves, anons
>>
>>4324404
Suuuuure
>>
>>4324358

As a Transfag I can say we are entirely guilty of this. Though I have enjoyed original third party stuff and most of it has actually sold very well. But transfags are a divisive bunch. If there was a /toy/ third party no one would agree on what to make or design. That's way before huge hurdles in cost.
>>
>>4324413
I can sculpt, but I know enough about production to realize that unless you plan to order 10,000 of your toy there's no money in it. Small runs (<80) of non-articulated resin toys are do-able though
>>
File: iron legions KS.jpg (66 KB, 700x483) Image search: [Google]
iron legions KS.jpg
66 KB, 700x483
some guy from /toy/ did make a KS, but it failed because it's generic mecha and he didn't advertise it enough

If /toy/ ever got its shit together and was able to create a KS, we'd either do a mecha line or some pedoshit little girl thing. It'd also fail, because weeaboos dont like spending money on non-Japanese things and the mecha would be generic.
Somehow, if /toy/ created something that's universally liked and had a successful KS, it'd still fail, because /toy/ has no business sense at all. Anyone with business sense would be shouted out by the majority screaming "we need bro prices!" or "the prices should be higher, because that's how much japan charges!"
If /toy/'s toy were popular enough to sell enough units for the cheap price it went for or overpricedness and have real stores become interested in it, /toy/ would fuck it up because they'd directly ship the toy to every store instead of getting a distributor to do it, because /toy/ doesn't understand distribution.
If by some miracle the toyline continued on after this blunder, the toyline would fail because /toy/ would demand that every thing be super articulated and each figure would be completely new tooling. Mass distribution requires more than just one character figure being released at a time and this would kill the toyline fast... though not as fast as shipping cases directly to every store.

No matter what, someone would get killed in the process of creating a toyline, because /toy/ is crazy territorial about their likes.

/toy/ is just too retarded though, so this would never happen. If anything happens, it'd be several groups all seperately trying to make a toyline. Only those with western appeal would actually make it, because it's the easiest and biggest market to get into.
Plus that whole weeb thing of only Japanese products being able to be sold to weebs.
>>
>>4324423
How do third party transformers make a profit then?
>>
>>4324445
glyos does pretty well for itself
>>
>>4324463
pandering to g1 fans like vangelus and peaugh
>>
>>4324463
There's a quite large existing audience to sell to. That and they make stuff with fan appeal that has/tak won't/aren't making.

It also helps that a lot of 3rd party stuff is simple stuff like weapons, heads, add-on kits. Which are easier to make than a transforming figure.
>>
>>4324463
how do 3A make a profit? asians
>>
>>4324093
/vp/ makes a pokemon game
>>
>>4324689
well its not very original, like a reskin and retool of an existing platform, but good for them. can I download it for the ds?
>>
File: homer_15.jpg (34 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
homer_15.jpg
34 KB, 640x430
>>4324205
>>4324234
>We could never agree on what to do
>Too many ideas, none of them universally liked
This. With a committee design process and everyone wanting to get their own idea in, our final product would probably look something like this.
>>
>>4324330
Viral made Engine Heart, someone else took control of BBB, and Vocoder and his cabal took Chaptermaster off-site.

And don't even say AdEva counts because they also split off into their own fiefdoms long ago
>>
Because we hate each other.
>>
>>4324692
It's being made with RPGMaker XP, so no.
>>4324085
Make articulated animals in collaboration with /an/
>>
>>4324093
>>4324330
>>4324802

Pokemon Tabletop Adventures. The generation and maintenance of this rulebook is an exercise in autism, it started and got to a playable state at teeg, but eventually moved off into a furry-infested forum. They've sorta disowned it, for those reasons.

The Angry Marines Codex is a tried and true classic, not much in terms of balance but it works and it's fun.

Dungeons the Dragoning, though it was more of a colossal one man effort, that man was incidentally a fa/tg/uy.

They're currently working on a toy based book called Lamplight or Nightlight or whatever/

There's a lot more I can't remember, mostly little rulekits made for silly things. Point is, /tg/ can get shit done because their hobby is inherently social. Ours is inherently autistic.

>>4324205

THIS is why we'd never reach that level of productivity. This board is far too hostile, far too up it's own autism. Any sort of OC has to be a one man thing, without any input from /toy/ at all.
>>
>>4324463
its the collector's market formula.
Character everyonee wants, but is under-represented (likee Devastator)
+
sky high prices
+
museum quality product to justify sky high price

only the richest (or stupidest) nerds will jump, but nerds tend to jump for their favorite thing more often than casuals. that is one of the definition of a nerd

also, I hear a lot of those 3rd party companies are made of toy industry people who already know how to make a product, start to finish. a bunch of amateurs would likely end up as roadkill
>>
>>4324445

Maybe you should start up a new gi joe line so they wouldn't be dead anymore.

Seeing how they're currently, like, dead and gone.
>>
>>4324961
I just bought this, because the line is back on the shelves, and there were just two kickstarter for 4" figures, with more figures on the way.
Then there's the Lost Planet, Power Lords, and Acid Rain figures too.
I'm very content with all these new toys.

How about you? Still butthurt over something i said, which is why you've been trying to troll a couple of threads i never even posted in?
Stay mad, chit.
>>
>>4324085
The exact same reason /tv/ don't make movies and /m/ doesn't build robots.
Liking a thing doesn't mean you know how to produce it.
>>
>>4324692
eh theyd probably get a cease and desist or something maybe. i guess all they really need is someone like the guy who made Noitu Love 2 or someone with a similar incentive..
>>
>>4324404
Shows us your superior skills then.
>>
I don't know shit about industrial design and don't have a factory to manufacture. Plus I like borderline intrusive gimmicks and /toy/ would crucify me.
>>
File: trollstrollingtrolls.jpg (127 KB, 853x683) Image search: [Google]
trollstrollingtrolls.jpg
127 KB, 853x683
>>4324980

Butthurt? Not at all. You can carry on enjoying the line you love, but do expect that I will not stop making inane and completely baseless critiques on your tastes.

I will do it every single time you post, even if I misfire from time to time.

In every thread, in every topic.

Even when it isn't true or related, as long as I share this shitstain of a board with you.

Joes are dead. They should stay dead.
>>
>>4325511
>Butthurt? Not at all.
So, what you're telling us is, you're going to shit post everyone about their tastes, bash the board, and be a troll 24/7, and you're NOT dysfunctional or butthurt?

Okay.
>>
>>4325516

Totally.

I'm just bored. We're a slow board, man, what are you, new?
>>
>>4325511
>being so butthurt you want to shit up the entire board because someone upset you
So how many toys did your mom have to buy you everytime you threw a tantrum?
>>
>>4325511
I like Joes, but this post is 4chan gold!
>>
>>4324111
/lit/ pls go
>>
>>4324085
Knowing exactly what you want in a product is COMPLETELY different than knowing exactly how to produce the product.

/toy/ largely knows next to nothing about budgeting, cost assessment, labor value, manufacturing, quality assurance, marketability, and engineering.

"I want a toy that does this"

Is not the same as

"I know how to make a toy do this"
>>
>>4324085
I really don't care about making my own custom toyline I just want xevoz back.... I like drawing too so I make xevoz concept are, I'm 50 in and got a hundred to go but it doesn't make the pain go away.
>>
>>4324085
Because it's stupid expensive.
>>
File: hand done figure.png (738 KB, 1034x563) Image search: [Google]
hand done figure.png
738 KB, 1034x563
So if we did have the resources and skillset to at least make a few prototypes, what would the final product be or look like? Would it be a transformers type thing, statues, minifigs, figmas or shinkis?

What would you like to see within reason? And apparently a guy who posted here sculpted this.
>>
>>4327938
Yeah, I remember this guy. He actually did a bunch of resin casts of that sculpt (in a more finished form, with a head and arms).
>>
>>4325511
this post is making me moist
capthca: kondom soaps
>>
File: fackinbiffothefackinbearm8.jpg (46 KB, 543x640) Image search: [Google]
fackinbiffothefackinbearm8.jpg
46 KB, 543x640
>>4327938
>minifigs
>minifig

who the fuck would want a toy of tha ugly, obese fucking neckbeard?
>>
My school lab has a Makerbot so for kicks I am making some 3D models and see how how well they print. The upside is I learned a little bit about Blender and how to optimize a model.

But I know this doesn't really count as making a toy line.
>>
File: 1406562765184.jpg (194 KB, 1766x1080) Image search: [Google]
1406562765184.jpg
194 KB, 1766x1080
>>4328645
Forgot my image. It's easier to doodle it up in sculptris and then export to blend to decimate the points into something reasonable.
>>
>>4328647
Dear god, that is hideous.
>>
>>4328666
Sorry to disappoint you, Satan.
>>
>>4324715
I always thought The Homer was great.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.