[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bjd/Doll Thread: Naughty or Nice List Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 86
File: img_dress0701_02.jpg (182 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
img_dress0701_02.jpg
182 KB, 570x570
Last Thread: >>5316225
FAQs:
/toy/ - tinyurl com ihatedolls
/jp/ - tinyurl com dollfaq
>>
Good thing I refreshed the catalog. I was about to make a new thread myself. I have a question for those of you who have done faceups on Pullips and co. before. I got the Tinkerbell Dal from Tuesday Morning and I'm planning on putting her head on a Pure Neemo body and re-doing the faceup. I was just Googling Pullip faceup tutorials, and I saw one that said you can use eyeshadow because apparently it's just the same type of pigment that pastels use. Is this true? I'm kind of a makeup hoarder, so I have a lot of gorgeous eyeshadow colors, but at the same time, I'd like a second opinion on this.
>>
>>5339791

No. Whoever said that is a dumbshit. It's not the same.
>>
>>5339792
Thank you. I thought it might be too good to be true. I mean, if eyeshadows and pastels were the same shit, wouldn't we all be using eyeshadows for faceups?
>>
what are some good BJD reviewers on youtube? so far i only really follow mskittyblue
>>
>>5339791
Eyeshadow usually contains wax (and silicone and preservatives if it's pressed)
>>
File: 2015 dollhouse small_edit.jpg (244 KB, 1165x1564) Image search: [Google]
2015 dollhouse small_edit.jpg
244 KB, 1165x1564
Posting my dolls in a doll thread.
>>
>>5339827
most bjd yt-ers only focus on...like their own opinions and shit pertaining to their lives and collections. Its hard to find people who actually post extensive reviews that arent just 'OMG the sculpting is GEORGEOUS!"

bitch that doesnt tell me anything? a lot of dolls are gorgeous.
>>
The FAQ says to use expensive pastels but specifically which brand?
>>
>>5337242
Money isn't an object, I'm aware of how expensive BJD is (plus my other hobby is lolita and also expensive so I understand paying more for quality)
This is a project that I plan to do over a long period of time due to the cost
>>
>>5340253
As long as they're chalk pastels and not oil, really any brand. Generally the more expensive ones are noticeable by the fact that they're sold in small sets (5/6 matching tones, or even individually) while the cheaper ones will be like $10 for a whole 48 colors or something.
>>
>>5340259
But I forgot to mention that I would like to do a smaller doll. Under 40cm preferrably
>>
>>5338954
I can roll with that.

>>5338433
I'm IntoTheAbysmalAbyss, and I promise I'm nowhere near as ~dark and edgy~ as that screenname sounds.
>>
>>5339824
SOME people use makeup on their dolls, supposedly, with no consequences. However, from my understanding, human makeup has oils in it and that shit does not belong on dolls.

Soft pastels are gonna be your best friend.

>>5340122
Cutie pies!
>>
>>5340253
In all honesty, I use cheap Mungyo chalk pastels and they turn out okay. I suck at faceups, but enjoy blushing, so ymmv

I usually shave them with a razor blade and mix my own shades. Rarely do I brush straight from the stick. I can see why getting a more focused palette of the more expensive ones is more beneficial, though. It's a huge pain in the ass trying to re-mix a color that you previous made and ran out of.
>>
>>5339824
>>5340288
I have done some restorations on dolls that had eyeshadow on them and can confirm its terrible. Even if you seal it well. It causes an orange stain to seep into the resin or vinyl, and can change the texture too.
>>
>>5340253
I've used Prisma's ones with good results. If you live near a Michaels Crafts, you can use their coupon thing and get the bigger set for under $20. Some colors you will want to layer.

Also if you want the shimmery eyeshadow or lip gloss look, mix pearl powder with the pastel or apply it directly by itself. The ones I use were in the scrapbooking section and sold as an embossing stamp kit.
>>
Does anyone know of a good starter doll? Something That I don't have a chance of ruining within 10 mins of owning? I've heard the Smart Doll line is pretty beginner friendly but I can't seem to find any outfits other than the (ridiculously expensive) ones choo sells.
>>
>>5341290
It depends on what you want the doll for and how much money you have.
>>
>>5341291
I initially wanted to get something from the Dolfie Dream line, but I have read horror stories about staining or cracking just from even being in the sun??? I'm willing o spend around 600 dollars on my first one, but not much more than that until I make sure that I won't do something too incredibly stupid.
>>
>>5341317

Surely you mean like leaving it out for a long time in the sun? I mean plastic can get brittle and crack if you leave it in the sun but that's like direct summer sun outside for months or years. I've never heard of this.

I have several DDs and don't worry about staining. They just don't wear dark clothes. Just get a body stocking ($30ish) and have them wear that under clothes. I think the quality of a DD is much better than a Smartdoll and they have a lot more personality and variety imo
>>
>>5340980

Imo Prisma's pastels are the worst I've ever used. Even compared to the cheaper chalk pastels. they're just too hard. I would recommend mungyo though, like these.

http://leekeworld.com/En/Product/p_view.asp?it_code=1323&B_catalog_num=26
>>
>>5341317
Vinyl is a lot less owning friendly than your usual resin BJD.
The vinyl stains easily (as in, sometimes really easily), the skeleton inside can break and everything seems to be more expensive with them.

However, that shouldn't be your main question because the biggest difference in the beginning for you as an owner is definitely the aesthetic.

Do you want some very stylized anime look, and mostly female dolls, or something else?
I owned both (and Pullips, Blythe and Azone) but stopped buying DDs at one point because I just couldn't enjoy all the same-face anime girls with limited body options anymore, and the staining risk made it even worse.
If you want something lik a DD or Smartdoll, i.e. a vinyl anime girl, then they are your best bet next to Obitsu.
If you want anything else you should better look into BJDs.

There are no good "starting dolls" though.
As long as you aren't a complete idiot and stick to the basic safety rules (no dropping, not putting for a long time into the sun, no oil-based materials etc.) there really can't happen much.
People always tend to think these things are made of brittle glass.
>>
>>5340253
I personally use Schmincke pastels, but I live in a country where they are easy to get.

They are really soft, have a wide range of colors incl. shimmer ones (silver, gold, pearl, but also blue, green, pink etc.) and are packed to the rim with pigments.
Because of that I can dab the brush straight at them and they last a long time, some of the basic colors I have owned and used for face-ups since 2008 and they appear barely used.
When applied you also get a good and heavy coverage right from the start.
I also never bought a full-set, just bought single colors as I needed them and slowly built up my own box.

The biggest issue with hard pastels is that they need to be scratched from the stick and tend to stick badly on the surface. They also often have less pigments and you need a lot of layers to achieve a good result.
If you go shopping for pastels aim for the soft ones that have lots of pigments, they are the best to work with.
>>
>>5341317
The cracking issue was with the old DDIII bodies, and can be prevented/fixed by buying the reinforcement parts that Cool Cat sells.

With $600 you have a few options:

1. Buy a DD standard model direct from Volks USA (updated DDIII body so the cracking issue shouldn't be an issue)

2. Buy a doll from Mandarake. USD->JPY dipped a bit this week but the conversion rate is still in your favor. Lots of dolls to choose from. If you're willing to buy a limited with an ever so slight fabric stain (which can be removed) you can get yourself an expensive doll within your budget. The doll you buy might have the old DDIII body cracking issue, so research the body the doll has before you purchase. The DDII body does not have this issue.

3. Buy a head from Y!JA via proxy, and then buy a body separately either from VolksUSA or Mandarake.

Staining is an issue, but as long as you're careful you'll be fine. Dark clothes stain, but you can vinegar-wash dark clothes and use a body stocking if you really want your girl to wear dark colors. Also wigs with dark wig caps will stain. There's a product called RemoveZit specifically for removing stains from vinyl, so keep this stuff handy if you're that worried about it.

Finally, make sure you buy yourself a soft bristled baby toothbrush for wig-care. This is the minimum needed for wig care and this $0.99 investment will save you a headache when your doll first arrives.
>>
I posted my DD in the last thread--about the glasses. (last pic)
she is a DDH-07 head FYI. :)
some of you tried to guess what she was.
>>
>>5341516
she looks just like Aoko though. wow! I did not expect that.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (504 KB, 1243x1370) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
504 KB, 1243x1370
I have been very good, just got some new stuff for vmf50
>>
>nobilitydoll releasing the muscled female body again
I'm not sure how to feel. I mean I wanted it at one point, but then I learnt how everyone who owned one had to mod the shit out of it to get it to hold the most basic of poses, and then there's the hybriding issue since nobilitydoll doesn't sell female heads.
>>
>>5341675
Oh, and the fact that they jacked the price up from $266 to $450, and only giving a bullshit 15% "discount", but with no joint improvements over the old design to justify the price hike.
>>
>>5341647
Happy shopping! I hope you'll show us some pictures of the new wigs on your dolls.
>>
>>5341679
Well, the low price originally was due to it being a group order, so of course individually sold pieces will cost more.
But no way in hell I'm willing to pay more than Miro prices unless Nobility demonstrates that they've fixed the issues (didn't they say they would be doing so for the rerelease?), maybe by putting up a video or something.
>>
>>5341647
What do you have, one of the cute ones like Misa or one of the ahegao ones with their tits pointing in different directions?
>>
File: 001.jpg (246 KB, 650x2057) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
246 KB, 650x2057
urgh mail woes. a commission i finished and sent out on the 11th seems to have dropped off the face of the earth, the owner hasn't received it yet, and the tracking hasn't updated since leaving my post office. i have my fingers crossed that its just the christmas rush, coupled with all of the snow storms out west, and that the reason it wasn't scanned at a sorting facility near where i live is because someone was going too fast and missed it.

im also waiting on a dress i bought from someone in germany, it took forever to get to the US, but once it hit the US (new jersey) on the 12th, it also stopped updating on the tracking. it's like New England has become a black hole for packages or something, christ.

it other news i've been working on another on of my unoa faceplates. i was going to do it all splattered like the others but then i went for something more subtle. i quite like it but i'm probably going to sell it at some point.
>>
>>5341850
It's probably Christmas rush. Give it a week after Christmas and you'll get everything at once. It happened to me last year. It was like a really late, but fucking awesome Christmas.

That faceup is gorgeous, by the way. I love those rich colors.
>>
>>5341850
God damn I love your work (also New England doll people representin')

I would guess it's the Christmas rush. I live in NE too, and none of my packages have experienced a slowdown. I did order something from VA earlier this week, and a bunch of beeswax on Amazon yesterday, so I guess if there is a holiday slowdown in this area I'll find out soon.
>>
File: ren.jpg (25 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
ren.jpg
25 KB, 512x384
>>5341936
>>5342018
thanks guys! i really like how she came out but I have to force myself not to get attached to faceups so I can actually sell shit.

As for the package, I can't help but be anxious because this is the very first time this has ever happened to me, and I've shipped stuff out around christmas before in the past with no problems. it doesn't help my nerves that i asked for insurance for $200, but the lady at the post office said something about $50 being included with the priority price, and so on the insurance ticket i have she printed $150 on it. i KNOW she's wrong so if i do have to do a claim for this package, all i'm going to get is $150, which means $50 is going to have to come out of my pocket because my client asked for $200 for the insurance.
>>
File: 1449885868486.jpg (77 KB, 887x1097) Image search: [Google]
1449885868486.jpg
77 KB, 887x1097
>>5341850
Good lord that looks like shit, this is 4chan by the way, I think you need to go back to Tumblr with that crap
>>
>>5342051
i dont like it either but the quality isnt bad anon
go back to /cgl/
>>
>>5342051
>>5342078
technically good, just repulsive aesthetically
>>
File: makeup.jpg (64 KB, 736x1019) Image search: [Google]
makeup.jpg
64 KB, 736x1019
>>5342051
> being overly insulting just to be edgy and contrarian after people complimented it

too try hard anon. you know you've seen true horror shows posted here, and anyway, it's not finished yet.

i roughly based it on this pic, but not as over the top.
>>
>>5341359
Prismacolors is good for everything except pastels.
I use volks, mount vision, mungyo and some other brand from jerry's artarama.
>>
>>5342051
I'm not a big fan of the Cherie-from-Studio-Killers look but that execution is fantastic enough to make saying it 'looks like shit' simply incorrect. Those eyebrows, that delicate eyeshadow gradient and the symmetry of the painted creases...nice. If this were DoD I'd call your post comparing this to tumblrshit an instance of 'trying too hard' to sound like a big mean doll bitch, but since this is 4chan I'll throw in that just because you CAN be a douchebag to people on here about whatever they post, doesn't mean you automatically HAVE to.
>>
File: rsdong.png (9 KB, 484x63) Image search: [Google]
rsdong.png
9 KB, 484x63
It's no Impldoll Penis, but...lol.
>>
>>5342103
just stop posting.
>>
holy shit there has been so much chatting in the news posts on DOA
did the rules change or is it just the influx of newfags?
>>
I cannot remove the screws on my Dal's eye mech for the life of me. I used the same screw driver as I used for the head screws and it didn't even move. I tried a little bit with a screw driver one size up, but I was afraid I'd strip the screws. It really feels like the screws are super glued in or something. Any advice?
>>
>>5342480
Gently warm with a hairdryer if you haven't tried that already.
>>
>>5342494
Anon, words cannot express my gratitude right now. I thought I was fucked there.
>>
>doll stuck in san fran customs for 6 days
>friend's package enters and leaves same facility in a day

how fucked am i /toy/?
>>
>>5342677
They probably didn't mess with your friend's package and decided to open yours for some reason. At least you know where it is.
>>
File: jolly.jpg (57 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
jolly.jpg
57 KB, 620x670
>>5342677
Totally normal for San Fran customs from what I've heard. I've also heard CHI is worse.

>mfw all my packages go through JFK customs
>>
>>5342806
>>5343091
tracking updated last night. it was in the building for 6 days before it went to customs. left customs this morning.

never using ems again
>>
>>5343669
EMS a best. Don't let Christmas time get you down.

I order shit from Japan and Korea all the time, and the longest I've ever had a package take was 7 days (5 business days) from Korea to Connecticut.
>>
>>5343687
no this isnt their first fuck up with me
last doll i ordered with ems got to my local post office and they "forgot" to deliver it 2 days in a row
went to the post office to ask what was up and they said sorry and handed it to me

USPS is awful and im not shipping any large purchases with them again. sal packages? whatever but express never again
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 540x810) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 540x810
>wine bottle/sock sweaters
>recasts
>customization vs bought finished
>dolls on welfare

What other debates are ongoing in the bjd community? Ones with a notable number of supporters on both sides, not "one person said something retarded and everyone else disagreed" situations.
>>
>>5343697
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. I've almost never had any trouble with USPS and I sing their praises constantly. The worst that's happened to me is a package gets routed to the wrong sorting facility and takes 1-2 more days to get to me.

>>5343704
You forgot

>dolls for treating depression
>being too young to go to meets
>parent's won't buy you a doll/let you buy a doll
>Monster High dolls are not #BJD!
>>
>>5343704
How is 'custom vs bought finished' a "debate"? Are there actually more than one or two people who think customizing dolls is "wrong"?
>>
>>5343843
I would imagine it's the opposite and people think not customizing dolls is "wrong".
>>
File: tumblr_nrwbpnqQB41s3jsg5o1_540.jpg (476 KB, 526x790) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrwbpnqQB41s3jsg5o1_540.jpg
476 KB, 526x790
>>5343704
Also
>Cheap Chinese doll persecution
>babby opens up faceup shop after parents say their shitstain's first faceup looks great
>Anything about Culur/Kayke/etc.
>>
>>5343843
No, people get really angry when people buy a fullset and leave it the way it was purchased, claiming that the only good thing about dolls is doing your own faceups, wigs, and clothes. This despite the fact that 90% of people who do any of those are absolute dogshit at it.

There's more than one way to play with toys, guys.
>>
>>5343910
Who are Culur and Kayke and what did they do?
>>
>>5343924
Culur is a faceup artist who does REALLY nice faceups but kind of listed a recast as legit multiple times, claimed she forgot it was recast, but told people interested in buying that it was, in fact, a recast. She's pretty sketchy in general, which fucking sucks because I love her work and her dolls.

There's a post somewhere detailing the "I forgot it was recast!!" nonsense.

As for Kayke, some people think she's sketchy I guess? I dunno.
>>
>>5343968

Kayke took like $4000 in for the 'doll' she's selling. Some people said they thought they'd get their preordered dolls in December lmao. She hasn't sent the doll to the caster yet, and she keeps posting about all these mental breakdowns and going inpatient to a mental ward, and how she has 0 money to see a doctor and 0 reported income (despite her income) and other batshit stuff. I don't think anyone is ever getting the dolls and yet she posts about buying shit.

I just keep waiting for it to blow up but she's all 'my mental health is more important than the preorder I took money for!!" and the people who preordered agree...
>>
>>5343977
I'm holding out hope that she actually gets that casted. Let me dream a little longer.

I was referring to a discussion several threads back that was about Kayke shit when her preorder first started-- sketchy shit I can't remember.

I hope she gets that damn doll cast.

Also with how mentally unstable she seems, I'm surprised she isn't on disability. At least where I live, you can check yourself into the hospital for suicidal thoughts, they hook you up with counselors and doctors willing to vouch for you (assuming you're legit) and then you apply for benefits from there. I know a couple of people on it, and it can BE a pain in the ass but it's doable and helpful.
>>
>>5343992

She only became unstable after she met and mocked another girl who was on disability for depression. Then she was depressed with PTSD and quit her job. Then she got mad because she was denied disability, and the other girl had it. Now it's been getting progressively worse.

She used to be normal.
>>
>>5344008
>she got mad because she was denied disability
They typically deny people the first time (though I heard that last years ago) why didn't she try again?

Though what the fuck all of that. Any source? I haven't been in the hobby super long.
>>
>>5344018

Source is she is local and a loud bitch. She' got a lot of enemies but last time anyone said anything she made it look like the people who don't like her were just mad because she 'came out' against recasts after selling off hers
>>
>>5343977
Nice. I didn't realize she actually took the money. Yeah, I don't think that doll is being released any time soon. The last I checked, the doll was supposed to be primed or something like that. Not sure if that's happened.

>I just keep waiting for it to blow up but she's all 'my mental health is more important than the preorder I took money for!!" and the people who preordered agree...
I think most of the people who have been able to follow her for some time are the type that can actually put up with that bullshit. Of that amount, the people actually willing to trust someone unstable like that are probably just as unstable themselves.

>>5344008
>>5344018
>>5344082
I didn't know all that. I know she was formerly /pol/ levels of racist (explains her weird fetishy way of talking about minorities, yeah?), but the recast thing is some news.
>>
>>5343977
They even did a full spread of her doll in Haute Doll so don't tell me she has no income, they get paid for that shit.
>>
>>5343977
>MUH MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES
Lord have mercy. In real life when u meet people like this you dont give them money but online everybody is so open and sympathetic. That kayke girl was a user an abuser like every other tumblr fat girl with 'condishuns'... I hope those people who ordered from her take action because im sure theres a chance she's lying about this episode too.
>>
Anyone know of some faceup artists that do resin matching?
>>
>>5344336
You mean like...blush the neck to match the head and vice versa? I think lightlybattered and shadowedforce both do that. Airimirofgondor (the DoA mod) does too though I'm not a big fan of her faceups (but for just matching and mods she's great).
>>
>>5344380
Specifically to match a creamy white-ish head to a pinkish body. Thank you for the names! I'm going to look into them.
>>
>>5344380
I would not recommend Shadowed Force. I had a few dolls sent to her over a period of a year or so. First two were great, the last two were just not even comparable. Splotchy paint, visible glue, and an uneven sealing job on both of them. I wish I had taken photos, but I just ended up wiping them after a month.
>>
Apparently this guy is also about 38
>>
>>5344018
>>
>>5344452
>>5344468
>I feel his gentle hand on my shoulder
>Shocked I look at him...then I see his concerned face then reassuring eyes....
>then he lifts me up to him... And holds me to him, and immediately all my worries and concerns are gone, just like that.
>I'm soooo embarrassed, to actually think he'd forget about me, about any of us...we're his daughters and he's our papa!

i want to rescue these poor dolls.
>>
>>5344468
Did you mean to reply to me?
>>
>>5344483
This is the creepiest shit.
>>
File: 1375839754813.jpg (33 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1375839754813.jpg
33 KB, 480x480
>>5344468
Headpats are fine. Hairy elephant arms are not.
>>
>>5344483
Link to his Figure.fm?
>>
File: 1396978099552.jpg (206 KB, 404x720) Image search: [Google]
1396978099552.jpg
206 KB, 404x720
>>5344484
Misquote, sorry.
>>
>>5344508
It's the same guy that was linked last thread.

http://www.figure.fm/en/profile/blacktiger2032
>>
>>5344500
>>
>>5344483
I love how you can juuust see two of his chins in this photo
>>
>>5343968
>Culur is a faceup artist who does REALLY nice faceups

Anon confirmed for having zero taste.
Honestly, if you think that pencil bullshit she does is "REALLY nice" then I don't want to know what you think is mediocre.

Culur pretty much copied Andreja's style, something a lot of artist did, but she also accepted recast commissions and owns ("owned") recasts herself.
So all the girls who loved Andreja could run to her with their recast MNFs and get something that was just close enough to what they wanted without having to spend much money on it.
How does it goes?
Among blind people the one eyed is king?
Pretty much what happened here, she was a bit better than the majority of shitty artists that accept recast commissions and she was cheap enough for the recast fools to afford.
If she wouldn't have accepted recasts and copied a popular style I bet she wouldn't have become so known.

On top of that she did a lot of sketchy shit:
> owns a very obvious recast Volks Lorina in tan
> posts a b/w picture of her on DoA, trying to hide her color, while posting the same pictures on the Recast Haven
> gets banned for it
> lies about the reason she got banned
> contacts people who give out invitations again and again to get back into DoA

> never tags her recasts
> sells recast dolls without openly mentioning they are recasts

> always plays the "I'M JUST A HUMAN" card when someone confronts her, trying to gather sympathy that way
> used her age as an excuse (guys I'm still just a kid, have mercy plz) while basically having a business

> posts a picture on BJD Artist day trying to speak for artists while all her fame comes through recasts, she has "owned" recasts herself etc.
> deletes the picture quickly

> makes some sob entry how she has changed, claiming she never did anything wrong
> people confront her about all the shit she has pulled off
> deletes her entry

She also claims she doesn't own any recasts anymore but honestly, I don't believe her.
>>
>>5344766
Also, am not 100% sure on this, didn't she also make a giveaway where in the end her friend won?
Or was that Blinkeke/Monstro Design?

Anyway, she is sketchy as fuck and the whole thing bubbled up again because she started sculpting a head and straight put up a pre-order for it while the head is not finished at all.
Much like Kayke did.

Kayke is difficult because in the beginning she had a nice style that seemed to develope in something unique, but she decided to bite off more than she can chew.
She started to accept too many commissions, started to go full assembly line with her stuff and now it looks like a gross and rushed parody of her old projects.
No surprise though if commissions are her only income.
Rest the other anon already said.
>>
>Aoi: T_T "T-tt-hank you papa! (sniffles)

>Aw, you're welcome, Aoi.

>Aoi: "H-h-h-HEY!!!! All of you watching this! Just remember one thing! YOU NEVER SAW THIS!!!!" >:(

>Ohhh dear....hehe Thanks for watching everyone!
>>
>>5344534
Is she giving you a blowjob?
>>
>>5344817
I thiiink it's supposed to be her hugging him (like small kids do, hugging your stomach), but I'm also sure it's supposed to look like something else.
>>
>>5344766
I'm seconding this, if you find owner pics of culur's faceups not set to high contrast and all that bright shit she does to her pics, and not saved to a smaller size, you can see how grainy her linework is. its just all drawn on with watercolor pencils, but without the care that andreja takes to make it look smooth/solid. also her sugar skull faceups when seen close up are all thick, grainy, blobby paint on thick grainy blobby paint. her stuff looks good from afar, but is mediocre shit close up.
>>
File: culur.jpg (610 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
culur.jpg
610 KB, 1536x2048
>>5344991
example of culur's skull faceups in their natural state. it's just slopped on.
>>
File: 1449638049246.png (392 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1449638049246.png
392 KB, 540x960
>>5344801
>>
>>5344766
>>5345013
I stand corrected. I only ever had browsed her flickr on occasion, and they look pretty there.
>>
>>5345013
People pay for this? You'd get similar quality out of a 6 year old with some sharpies.
>>
File: 16443218716_ccd368ac39_k.jpg (865 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
16443218716_ccd368ac39_k.jpg
865 KB, 2048x1365
>>5344991
Sadly not even Andreja really manages it.
She also highly profits of small pictures where you can't really see anything close, if you look in the Flickr group for owners of her face-ups you can see that too.
See picture attached.

Friend of mine also once commissioned her, was a bit shocked to see the face-up in real then and imagine that my friend paid 100+ bucks for this gritty as fuck mess.
Not to mention this whole "blushed base, a few white lines" bullshit she and all artists that copy her do for eyebrows.
I honestly wish sometimes she hadn't made using pencils so popular and seem like a proper choice, back then it was supposed to be a starting point to later learn acrylics...nowadays many artists don't even bother anymore.

>>5345013
Fuck, she doesn't even manage to stay in the lines, even my little sister can do that.
I would feel ashamed to send something out like that.

>>5345192
Never trust an artist that doesn't provide proper close-ups.
>>
>>5345296
I never got pencils on BJDs. I've seen them look alright on Monster High dolls (their heads are pretty tiny, so I'm not sure what other options you'd even have now that I think about it) and hard vinyl dolls like Blythe. It's still not straight up drawn pencil, though. There's some blending going on. I guess the pool of decent faceup artists is so small that you can be lazy (or even sketchy) and get away with it, though. I'll probably get over my PTSD of dealing with Blythe custom customers in a week or so, so maybe I'll start taking BJD faceup commissions if >>5345013 is my competition.
>>
>>5345311
They work better on soft vinyl like MHs because the surface is less coarse.
On MHs they can work pretty well, on Pullip and Blythe not that good (their heads are not hard vinyl, actually they are hard ABS) , but BJDs are just a mess.
Resin has too much tooth.

I honestly wish more people would put in the time to learn acrylics and master them.
Yes, it takes longer to produce a good result, but when you nail it your face-ups will look fantastic.

Also Culur is not really your competition, she's not even close to the good people in the hobby.
Again, only way she got popular because she copied others and gave a group among BJD collectors a choice that have barely any other choice.
>>
>>5345013
just realized i was following this bitch. whoops!!
>>
>>5344775
I agree. I used to really enjoy Kayke's work about a year ago, but since all the mental health issues started it all just looks...really terrible. I don't think I've liked any of the faceups she's done since the last (recast) Lusis she painted.
>>
>>5345323

I don't think they look that bad though? I mean if you want an ultra realistic faceup that makes your doll look human then stick with paint, but since to me my dolls are dolls I don't mind the 'grainy' pencil. I see it as more of a style preference than the 'omg pencils are bad! Acrylic is the only good way!' bullshit being peddled here. And apparently the mojority of the hobby is cool with pencils considering andreja gets plenty of work.
>>
>>5345657
Not that anon, but I think the majority of the pencil hate comes from seeing a bunch of knock-off Andrejas with poor quality materials not knowing what the hell they're doing. I'm personally a fan of the look when it's done right. It looks kind of dreamy in a way?

Unrelated, but I cannot tell similar colors apart to save my life. Is the white on Obitsus the same color as the white Pure Neemo bodies?
>>
File: chiclinedress.jpg (131 KB, 517x800) Image search: [Google]
chiclinedress.jpg
131 KB, 517x800
missing package faceup anon here, the tracking finally updated and the owner got their head, thank god. and i got the dress from germany today too! i really, really like it. hope my girl looks good in it.

pic related, a chicline in the same dress i bought.
>>
File: CWjd74IUsAAKOAY.jpg (226 KB, 1024x1820) Image search: [Google]
CWjd74IUsAAKOAY.jpg
226 KB, 1024x1820
>>5345872
it all worked out!

i got my kikipop today too and she was opened by customs
one of her hands is discolored and im not sure if the company will fix that
>>
>>5344766
the only recast ive ever seen is the one she brought to a doll convention that had in the rules they did not want recasts at their con
the doll was very pretty but that was very immature of her
>>
>>5345730
>Is the white on Obitsus the same color as the white Pure Neemo bodies?
Yes, and I'm pretty sure they're produced in the same factory so its literally the same plastic (someone might correct me on this?)
>>
>>5345979
It's not the same plastic. I know that from owning both. Don't know about the factory.
>>
>>5346085

Well Azone and Obitsu have had a LOT of collab full sets together so i wouldnt doubt they made sure their products are compatible.
>>
>>5341850
I wouldnt worry too much just yet. I run an online shop and all my shipments have been wonky these last couple of weeks.
>>
>>5343687
ordering from manda? try dhl.
>>
File: disturbed.jpg (73 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
disturbed.jpg
73 KB, 640x480
>>5346151
>he prefers DHL over EMS
>>
>>5344775
Nope, you're right on that one. The first prize (Luka head) mysteriously went straight to one of her friends, who already had a character and look planned for it. Suspicious.
>>
>>5346545
Really don't get why some people still defend her

>>5345657
This anon >>5345730 is pretty much correct.
Back then pencils were supposed to be your starter medium, you learned the basics and then moved on to acrylics.
Then Andreja came along and BAM all of a sudden you have a dozen Andreja clones and more and more people who never stop using them.
They see Andreja still makes money with it and if they just stick to her style nothing can go wrong.

The old artists that have learnt acrylics tend to be less and less nowadays (no surprise, after X years you get tired of painting dolls or offering commissions) and it gets harder to commission people who still can work with them.

You might like the look, a lot of people don't.
Especially on pictures it can look unpleasant and I don't get why people always go on "but I like the doll look".
Acrylics can do the same, guess how people achieved a doll like look before?
The pencils don't make them less realistic, it's some of the stylized parts they use on the face-ups like the huge eyeliner, the super visible eyelid line with the white above, eyebrows without details.
You can achieve that with acrylic too, just that it doesn't look like a piece of coal rubbed on top of coarse sandpaper.

The reason Andreja was well liked is not because of the pencils, most just lived with it because they like the overall look of her dolls, her pictures, her videos.
Just like with SDink, you just see the fawning people on Flickr and co. but only a few of them ever see their work in real-life, yet alone own them.
How many of your fans do you think ever hold a piece of her work in their hands?
It's the same with Culur in this case, people think her stuff looks decent and then you see a non-edited close-up.
>>
>>5346230
In some countries it works better?
In my country EMS turns to DHL Express as soon as the package crosses the border, if I pick DHL Express immediately when ordering I actually save time and they handle all the customs bullshit for me (if I even get hit by customs).
It's just a lot more expensive than EMS, sadly.
>>
>>5346561
*their fans
>>
>>5346561

>you might like the look

Key words here. I've seen Andreja work in real life and I like the look end of story. The way you go on about acrylic vs. Pencils you try to make it seem like acrylic is the objectively better method and that's not something you can really say.

>>5345296

Example. I think this looks totally fine and I wouldn't mind having this faceup on one if my dolls. You can squawk about how grainy and terrible it is and call my tastes shit or whatever but I still like it.
>>
>>5346563
In the US we don't deal with that shit (the extra charges) and the packages are immediately handed over to USPS who then takes 1-2 days to get to me after leaving customs. It's way on the top of my list of things that make me proud to be an American. Sometimes I'll order something from Mandarake and sing the Star Spangled Banner while I watch the tracking update.
>>
>>5346730
Congrats for having shit taste then?
Honestly, don't get why someone would pay 100+ for something where the artist couldn't even be assed to paint proper eyebrows.
>>
>>5346759
Eh, free healthcare, no shitty life crushing debt after going to university, pretty good living...I think I can deal with customs
>>
>>5346763

I knew you'd jump straight to 'you have shit taste' if you honestly cant understand other people actually prefer the look of pencil eyebrows then you have a severe case of 'stop liking what I don't like',
>>
>>5346783
Oh, I never said that.
I just said that I don't get it, keep on liking what you like, but I don't have to understand it.
But maybe you should start to understand why people are annoyed by the millionth Andreja clone.
>>
>>5346767
Hey! My list is short but let me cling to it with my ragged, disease riddled hands as I warm myself with the heat generated by burning my $40,000 B.Sc.
>>
>>5346783
>>5346790
could both of you shut up now?
why do we have these discussions all the time now with people fighting about bullshit (like the baby discussion last time)

post dolls, and tell me if you get some for christmas!
>>
>>5345296
>>5346730
I actually like that faceup too (maybe because there's a sort of 'illustrated' look about it? I don't even like MNFs but I enjoy that doll because of the soft illustrated look of the faceup) but I think the issue may be the $100+ dollars...I really can't see why it would be worth that much except popularity/status. Also the fact that people overpraise her so much probably explains in part why this thread dislikes her work.
>>
File: tumblr_m91tkd5DhI1qdea1io1_.jpg (36 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m91tkd5DhI1qdea1io1_.jpg
36 KB, 600x600
Can someone tell me if it's possible to sand off the boobs from a Pure Neemo body?
I want one of their bigger ones but without the big bust and I have honestly no clue how well the material can be modded.
Thanks in advance!
>>
>>5346801
Popularity. You see the same thing going on with other sorts of commissions (like illustrations). Honestly, if you can charge more than twice what everyone else is charging and still be in demand, more power to you. It also helps to weed out the little kids (not adults acting like kids, mind you. The actual little kids.)
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 398x550) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 398x550
What is this outfit called? I want to see more pictures of it but I can't find a good search term.

On a related note, where can I buy a kikipop that has the kiss face instead of the cat lips? I've seen pics on the official website, and it even has its own logo, but I haven't seen it for sale.
>>
>>5347108
The kissy lips one is a resin version, which will set you back a couple of $1000s. You might try searching 'kigurumi' or lamb
>>
File: uhhhh.png (129 KB, 549x541) Image search: [Google]
uhhhh.png
129 KB, 549x541
>>
>>5347439
Are you squinting at the sales note or the confession itself? Because the sales note is there as part of a joke feature installed during the last marketplace upgrade (other options include 'My doll begged me not to sell it but I'm doing so anyway.')

I think they're a damn funny inclusion on the sales form and show the mods have a healthy sense of humor about how batshit some sellers are, but I wouldn't actually USE any of them, specifically because they can lead to misunderstandings like this.
>>
>>5346230
I live in a big port city so courier services are the best around here, and that includes dhl. Also EMS hits usps as soon as it gets in the states, and our local USPS is notoriously shitty for breaking/losing/stealing shit, we even had a federal investigation a while back.
>>
Wh...NOOOO! The person with the vein-covered transparent doll just wiped her! Why the fuck?! That was one of my favorite customs ever.

Pic related, RIP fucking awesome doll
>>
>>5341697
thank you~ I just received them, looking good so far but the clothing are a tiny bit large

>>5341730
I have 2 Ahegao face ones but not the ones with crazy flying boobs
>>
>>5347520
w.. what. Why?
>>
File: ulnar.png (474 KB, 351x629) Image search: [Google]
ulnar.png
474 KB, 351x629
>>5347637
Right? Apparently the artist wanted to do something else with her though, and this transparent doll is somewhat hard to find so they couldn't really buy another one for the new project. But, sad.
>>
>>5346850
You could just swap the torso with a smaller bust.but if you're cheap, the torso is solid vinyl so sanding it is possible like here:
http://kutsuneko.blog93.fc2.com/blog-entry-212.html
>>
>>5347945
Wait, you can buy single busts for Pure Neemos?

Also thanks for the link.
Not being cheap there, but the body I will get is a tan body, modified for Blythe use, and they are like the M body but with the big L tits and they don't have a smaller version.
So my only choice is to sand, I just didn't know if the body might be hollow inside or whatever.
Thanks!
>>
>>5347520
A lot more interesting things could be done with this than just veins though.
>>
>>5349044
Like?
>>
I fucking hate people who go on about their dolls being therapy for some mess of self diagnosed illnesses. Did anyone else see the bjdaddicts thread the other day where they were comparing the number of self diagnosed mental illnesses and preventable lifestyle diseases to how many dolls they had?
>>
>>5349044

Not to mention the veins aren't even well done.
>>
File: rs mei transparent parts.jpg (79 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
rs mei transparent parts.jpg
79 KB, 540x540
>>5347687
I think Resinsoul does the transparent shit now. I'm sure there will be more popular companies picking up on it too, since Soom and Withdoll have been playing with it too.

>>5349126
I have been more or less avoiding facebook for a while, and bjdaddicts is one of the last places I'd want to hang around.
But yeah, Kayke just made a hybrid from a Unoa and Souldoll Souloid body as a reward for ~going through her troubles recently~. Kayke, work on your damned doll so you don't burn bridges by not finishing the product and delivering.
>>
>>5349044
>>5349152
You guys are silly, this is one of the more creative customs I've seen and the veins are VERY cleanly/crisply done. There are a lot of things you can do with a transparent doll, though, so I'm interested in what the person will paint on it instead.
>>
>>5349166
>Soom and Withdoll have been playing with it too.
Soom's been making transparent parts since 2009 (Cuprit was the first one...wait, Topaz in 2008 might have been transparent too.) It's only really caught on with other companies in the last year or so, though.
>>
>>5349273
> There are a lot of things you can do with a transparent doll
thats all I was trying to say, I didnt think the veins were 'bad' just didn't really like it.
>>
>>5349277
Anon you replied to
Yeah, Topaz had clear ears, hands, and feet. They've been doing it a while, but nothing super extensive other than Cuprit, Cinderella, and the faery legend. The 100% transparent dolls are pretty hard to find, and are usually from the unheard of niche companies. I know I've seen a blue transparent doll, but cannot remember the name of it. There was also someone on the customization forum on DoA modding one to give it a heart or something, idk.
>>
>Got a doll last month, hand broke in transit
>Told seller, seller replaces it for free & even sends it via DHL
>Gets a call from DHL saying I have to pay $17
>Package was apparently declared for $10

I am so fucking jealous of countries that don't fucking have customs fees right now.
>>
>>5349763
>170% tax
What the hell?
>>
>>5349808
If an item is gonna be taxed, the minimum you're gonna get charged is around $10, no getting out of that. But what really grinds my gears is that I've bought stuff for way more (like $50) and have only had to pay $20 in fees while this item declared for $10 is just $3 cheaper?

Give me a fucking break.
>>
>>5349838
You ellected those guys.
>>
>>5349841
No, we really don't. I'm surprised you do?
>>
>>5349847
Guess you're some version of a mexican gardner in US back at your place then.
Enjoy your life.
>>
>>5349841
*elected

Also, in my country customs is partly there to keep people from buying stuff abroad that they can get here too, because it hurts the economy if you buy somewhere else instead of local.
We actually opened up some borders and receiving goods from certain countries does not need to be taxed anymore now.

I'm not happy about this, but the country I live in is pretty wealthy and generally people can live a good life here.
So customs are alright, I guess.

>>5349763
Did you really only have to pay customs or is part of it DHL's handling fee?
I know that when I receive something from DHL Express and they handle customs I am expected to pay a fee to them, no matter if the package itself was valued high enough to warrant custom fees.
>>
>>5347520
At least it was the artist and not someone who bought the doll who then decided not to like the customization.

Seriously, that always hurts the most.
Person makes a nice custom, sells it, owner wipes it immediately.
Like, I bet in most cases you could have just bought the blank base doll.
>>
>>5349166
>Resinsoul does the transparent shit now

Wait... really? Like, I could order a transparent Resinsoul Mei right now? I never liked their derpy sculpts but I always appreciate that they have fantasy bodies regularly available for order. This might actually convince me to get one...
>>
Just imagine how awful these transparent dolls are going to look when they start yellowing.
>>
>>5349930
Christ, why do you ignorant American cunts think the fucking world revolves around you?
>>
>>5349763
At least you aren't me and don't live here.
>Got some accessories for my toys a few months ago from Europe.
>Package was only $20
>Seller sends it via UPS, it cost me another $20
>Gets a call from UPS saying I have to pay $60, $20 fee to UPS for handle customs and $40 for Customs Tax
>In total I paid $100 for a $20 toys.
>>
File: shut up nerd.jpg (55 KB, 450x677) Image search: [Google]
shut up nerd.jpg
55 KB, 450x677
>>5350360
Because it does. See, you're talking about us right now.
>>
>>5349841
>>5349930
This confuses me. Do Americans... elect their customs officers? Even the head of the bureau isn't elected here so I have no clue what you're trying to get at anon.
>>
>>5350397
I think they are saying we elected the people who made the policies.
>>
>>5350344
They actually don't yellow to my knowledge, yellowing = destabilizing of red pigments, which they don't have.
>>
>>5350470
They do, but actually preeeetty slow.
I have a few transparent horns and such that aren't as clear white anymore like they were in the beginning, but it's not piss yellow.
Soom Heliot is a good example for that.

Also fuck don't make me all paranoid, I actually have a clear doll that I would hate to see all yellow.
>>
File: cleanernina_13.jpg (157 KB, 700x1049) Image search: [Google]
cleanernina_13.jpg
157 KB, 700x1049
Wow, this is an crossover I didn't ever think I'd see from a bjd company. Kinda cool though. It like
>>
>>5350580
That's interesting. Any pics of the color change? Is it just a slight cloudiness appearing, or a tone change too?
>>
>>5344483
>>5344452
It just sounds like this guy is lonely and wanted children but instead of improving himself and finding a woman he just bought a doll.

I mean I buy weeaboo shit all the time to make myself happy I can't judge. But his hands are fat and he has to know how fucked that sounds so I will judge.
Like christ in all the 4chan pictures no one is in the picture stoo. It's like breaking the fourth wall.
>>
>>5349126
>I fucking hate people who go on about their dolls being therapy for some mess of self diagnosed illnesses. Did anyone else see the bjdaddicts thread the other day where they were comparing the number of self diagnosed mental illnesses and preventable lifestyle diseases to how many dolls they had?

This happens almost everywhere for anything nowadays. I think this generation of people are just completely detached from common sense when it comes to socializing with people and coping with life. Everyone seems to think being sad is some sort of diagnosable disorder and can't cope with being alone, hence why people tweet and drive and can't put their phones down. Yeah depression is real. But when it's from doing literally nothing all day and eating like shit and avoiding being alone literally all the time and being 400 pounds then that is the real problem and depression is the symptom.

Literally everybody uses their hobbies to keep themselves busy which when it's something you're passionate about helps you feel good about yourself. It's not deep and profound that BJD or whatever else. It's also why people have jobs. Literally everything you do productive is therapy.
The shit I've seen on other random completely unrelated fandoms is unbelievable. I saw a comment on a game grumps video where some guy wanted to kill himself because the last host left and he felt like he was his best friends. It's fucking pathetic.

Just shut the fuck up and be normal people jesus christ.
>>
>>5351312
>>5351343
That's great and all but this is dangerously close to becoming a full-on circle jerk so let's go back to talking about dolls please. (Mostly addressed at >>5351343 because that is a longass post to rehash what we already knew about this hobby being full of whiny snowflakes.)

>>5350913
>crossover
What franchise is this a doll/character from?
>>
>>5351382
This anon >>5351343 actually had some interesting things to say, don't be salty.
>>
File: CMD000003G_001.jpg (163 KB, 600x903) Image search: [Google]
CMD000003G_001.jpg
163 KB, 600x903
Also has anyone bought from CodeNoir? I'm tempted by the Candy Dream sets bc dammit fluffy girl dresses for MSDs are cute, but it'd be nice to hear some opinions from anyone who owns their stuff.

>>5351424
I dunno maybe I've just been in the hobby long enough that hearing people complain about crazy is as tedious as actually being beset by the crazy (and if I wanted to see that I'd just open up BJD Addicts.) If someone has a specific story or hilarious thing to share, like the pedo-looking DD pics upthread or the hilarious recast fiasco with alquiaev, then by all means share it, but if it's just a block of text bemoaning that everyone else in the hobby has no common sense then what is even the point.
>>
File: m3iy4ksU6zUx.jpg (87 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
m3iy4ksU6zUx.jpg
87 KB, 1000x500
>>5351382

It's not so much an official crossover as a no mage to the character Mathilde in the movie The Professional.
>>
>>5351526

*no mage

Fucking phone, I meant homage.
>>
>>5350470
>>5350580
Jewelry and bartop resin can yellow like a motherfucker so be careful.
>>
File: 082056000248.jpg (136 KB, 590x970) Image search: [Google]
082056000248.jpg
136 KB, 590x970
>sob
>>
I'm a pleb I have no idea what I'm doing. I bought a resin doll head off a korean person someone linked me to a few months ago but I have to glue the wig on. What kind of glue is best?
>>
>>5351717
what
>>
>>5351717
You usually don't glue on wigs- get a silicone wig cap if you're worried about slipping. Post a photo of your doll head and maybe someone can identify it and help you find a body?
>>
>>5351717

you just randomly spent money on a doll head without even researching first?
>>
>>5352093
This is a ball jointed doll general, not a sensible spending habit got your shit together general.

But yeah I just looked at the pictures and talked to the person who sold it to me a bit. There wasn't much else I could do besides that. I could ask her but she's Korean so there is a bit of a language barrier. I didn't know if it was something with a simple and common answer.

Also I don't have my shit together.
>>
>>5352106
You're also a dick.

Just thought you wanted to know.
>>
>>5352125
How was I being a dick?

I am too autistic to know what I did and I don't actually want to ruin threads.
>>
>>5352138
im not them but spending none of your own time learning something in the couple of minutes it takes to learn what exactly a BJD is, and instead demand answers be spoonfed to you, is kind of dickish.
>>
File: DSC_3096-Edit.jpg (89 KB, 668x1000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3096-Edit.jpg
89 KB, 668x1000
I haven't been to one of these threads in ages, and there seems to be a shitstorm going down, so I'm going to dump some of my girls.
>>
File: DSC_3074-Edit.jpg (109 KB, 1000x668) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3074-Edit.jpg
109 KB, 1000x668
>>5352182
>>
File: DSC_3034-Edit.jpg (97 KB, 668x1000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3034-Edit.jpg
97 KB, 668x1000
>>5352184
>>
File: glue.png (15 KB, 375x320) Image search: [Google]
glue.png
15 KB, 375x320
I wasn't very clear. I researched everything except the type of glue I was supposed to use for the hair. I bought it for a Picco Neemo doll, all the relevant information was in the description before I bought it and I was in communication with the seller.

>and instead demand answers be spoonfed to you

I don't know how I could have been more polite. I just asked if there what glue was best for doll hair because of a message that told me to glue the wig to the doll. I just didn't want to bother the seller. I would have fucked off by now because someone actually gave me an answer.

I didn't think this would trigger anyone.
>>
File: 6809864423_a119fb3956_o.jpg (139 KB, 665x1000) Image search: [Google]
6809864423_a119fb3956_o.jpg
139 KB, 665x1000
>>5352186
>>
File: 7991460307_3d3bfbc10c_o.jpg (133 KB, 665x1000) Image search: [Google]
7991460307_3d3bfbc10c_o.jpg
133 KB, 665x1000
>>5352188
I so badly wish I still had this outfit, it left with my ex-GF.
>>
>>5352187
sorry for my rudeness. i've never heard of anybody having to glue a wig onto a doll, but i'm not familiar with that scale. most people here own 1/3 and 1/4 scale dolls, so it was assumed you were talking about them.

people trying to get into this hobby but not putting any effort in have been a source of much frustration for some, and your first post made you look like that.
>>
File: poofy.webm (508 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
poofy.webm
508 KB, 1280x720
>>5352184
that's some nice hair
>>
>>5352202
>sorry for my rudeness. i've never heard of anybody having to glue a wig onto a doll, but i'm not familiar with that scale. most people here own 1/3 and 1/4 scale dolls, so it was assumed you were talking about them.

It's OK I should have been more clear.

I know it bugs me too that's why I was trying to explain.
>>
>>5352188
I want her so bad
oh desire

>>5352190
It's still on madarake and stuff
I considered buying it, but my only doll has an SS bust... guess it'll have to wait, though I guess I could make her wear the skirt and socks/shoes but change the top to something else
i wrote that fucking shitpost 2 hours ago but forgot to click submit
>>
>>5352187
Could you post a photo of the head as well as a measurement of the head size? I basically deal with only tiny dolls, but even I haven't heard of straight up gluing the wig on the doll (well, I know Jun Planning does it, but I can't say I recommend it).
>>
File: 6381917575_da43ed2041_o.jpg (220 KB, 664x1000) Image search: [Google]
6381917575_da43ed2041_o.jpg
220 KB, 664x1000
>>5352309
Haha, Beato's great. I came close to selling her at one point but I just can't bring myself to do it, since I'll probably never be able to replace her.

I still have the outfit Beato is wearing, by the way, (you'll notice the BJD with the twintails is wearing it up the page), I was actually talking about the Tata's Paradise kimono set that the BJD in the same post is wearing.
>>
>>5352187
i dont think they are telling you to glue the hair on, i think they are trying to describe that the wig is mohair glued onto a wig cap. but again you're going to have to post pictures of the doll head you bought so if we recognize it we can tell you more about it.
>>
>>5352187
this >>5352436 anon again. reading it over, they might be trying to say that the wig is ALREADY glued to the head. meaning it is not a wig at all, but hair glued directly onto the doll head.

you said it was for a piconeemo body or something, right? so is it a head with painted on eyes, no eye holes? some people do permanent hair on those types of heads, usually it's rooted into the head, but i guess some people could just glue it directly to the doll head too, which could be what the seller is trying to say.
>>
File: 61Tm6zfKMRL._SL1025_.jpg (123 KB, 1025x939) Image search: [Google]
61Tm6zfKMRL._SL1025_.jpg
123 KB, 1025x939
Don't know whether to ask here or the scale model thread, but I figure this is more doll furniture than a model, so maybe you guys know better?

Anyway, just got this 1/12 park bench in the mail. Should I actually stain and varnish it, or will that make it look wonky since it's so small?
>>
>>5352505
I'd probably leave the wood natural, more out of fear that the stain would transfer to whatever you're displaying on it.

Some sealant might look nice and wouldn't be too likely to do that, though. I'd go semi-gloss or matte, since gloss will ruin the scale effect.
>>
>>5352512
Thanks, I didn't think about transferrence. I know they meant it to be colored in some way, though, since the side parts that are that dark brown in the picture are natural tan-ish. Is there a certain brand of sealant you'd recommend? Would regular model paint work at all, or just look like garbage on wood?
>>
>>5352518
I don't know all that much about woodworking, but I'd say it'd be worth looking into sealants made for model train or airplane stuff.

I only know about the whole transferrence thing because it's a huge problem with Dollfie Dreams, the damn things soak up dyes and stains like a sponge.
>>
File: 02-1.gif (286 KB, 800x604) Image search: [Google]
02-1.gif
286 KB, 800x604
>tfw you love dolls but know your oc donut steels designs would translate awfully into doll form
I mean I could re-design them to fit the bjd aesthetic but it just wouldn't be the same.
>>
File: 7066823177_06180204e4_o.jpg (205 KB, 778x518) Image search: [Google]
7066823177_06180204e4_o.jpg
205 KB, 778x518
>>5351242
Unfortunately both horned Heliots are out for face-ups, and the other parts are airbrushed.

I can say though that the parts do not get cloudy, it's just that instead of a cold crystal look you basically get a warm, yellowish cream.
Picture related, found this via Flickr, you can see that the horn is cream instead of cold and clear looking.
It still stays pretty clear though, you can still tell it's supposed to be transparent, it's just tinted yellowish.
>>
>>5352802
You'd be surprised how skillfully some people have translated unusual-looking not-very-kawaii characters into doll form. What are your characters like in appearance, anon?
>>
File: viposs.png (627 KB, 999x1835) Image search: [Google]
viposs.png
627 KB, 999x1835
>>5352986
It's an extremely mixed bag. The designs aren't complex or anything, it's just needing the animu aesthetic in skin tones that currently only bjd companies offer. Choo is helping to pave the way though for fantasy skin tones so there is hope. Hope has also been renewed for pic related now that nobility doll has re-released their muscled female body, but then I have no idea where to start on looking for a face sculpt to shell her into.
>>
>>5353038
Iunno anon, there are plenty of BJD companies that do an anime aesthetic, like 2DDoll and some of Fairyland/Luts.
>>
>>5353038
>>5353048
Forgot to mention that you can dye or blush resin dolls to various colors (personally I think full-body spray painting for skintone change is underrated; you just have to touch it up at the joints once in a while and not expect it to be permanent/know it'll need redoing after a couple years.)
>>
>>5353038
Smart Doll makes vinyl anime girls now, if you an stomach the Chootism.
>>
> Smart Doll makes vinyl anime girls now

They all look like a shoes backside, but so does most of moe anime, so it might actually be a plus in that case of yours.
>>
>>5353048
I know, but like I said, its the lack of skin color options. I'm autistic enough to care that a character has a specific type of 'tan' to match their own.
>>5353053
I don't feel comfortable with solutions that aren't at least semi-permanent. Maybe when I get more desperate.
>>5353057
I'm tempted. If that android version he announced is real I'll do it.
>>
>>5352518
If you use thinned down acrylic and put on only a thin layer or two it will act like wood stain, and then you can coat it with a clear acrylic model sealant. Also if you worry about warping, you can place something heavy over it while it dries, like a book, with some paper towel in between.
>>
>>5353038
be forewarned that the nobility doll body is absolute garbage at even simple poses.
>>
>>5353711
This, sadly.
The body was a great idea that had to be very painfully commissioned and still ended to be shit.
Many owners had to mod him just to get him to sit and stand properly.

>>5353038
Is there a reason you want this character in "anime" style? Like, she doesn't look very my anime to me and most DDs, Smartdolls and whatnot have a generic look going on (tan issues aside here).
>>
>>5353057
His dolls are really cute.

Choo managed to make his weaboory profitable. He's living the dream, and bringing husbandos and dark skin tones into this business.

Why does he get so much hate ?
>>
File: PC068800-idoll45-94c41.jpg (195 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
PC068800-idoll45-94c41.jpg
195 KB, 400x600
>>5354078
Mainly because he makes otaku look like the guy in >>5344483 and is always going on about "OPPAI!" this and "OPPAI!" that. Many people in the doll/figure/anime culture are perfectly well-adjusted adults but Choo's operation doesn't reflect that.

That being said, I really do like this doll here. I could see myself getting one some day... maybe. There are a lot of other dolls on my wish-list that I'll probably go for first.
>>
>>5354078
i don't have any particularly strong feelings about choo, but i think his enthusiasm comes off as kind of creepy to a lot of people. it doesn't help the stereotype that all doll/figure owners are sex-obsessed geeks or whatever other generalisations intolerant normies feel like making.
>>
>>5354093
> could see myself getting one some day... maybe.
Even though you said that choo makes doll owners look like fagets, you still think over supporting him?
I don't suppose you tell guys at your gym (lol, doll lifter) that you're not gay but still having thoughts of grabbing on to their cocks?
>>
>>5354093
Is he only accepting fullset orders? I want her but I don't want her default faceup and eyes
I also like kind of like Eiji's head but I'd rather put it on a girl body, it could work as a tomboyish girl
with a custom faceup because the default one is shit either way
>>
>>5354148
+ of course I can just sell the clothes and stuff (not like people don't do it with DDs), but buying two fullsets just to make a hybrid is a bit too much
especially when you add the fact that it's choo
>>
>>5354134
Just because he makes doll owners look like faggots doesn't mean I won't purchase one of his products if he releases something I really like. None of his dolls have appealed to me yet, except for this one. Like I said though, I've got a lot of other things on my wishlist so I don't know if/when I'll ever get a smart doll.

I can still spend my money the way I want and criticize the producer. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

>I don't suppose you tell guys at your gym...
99% of the people in this thread are female.
>>
anybody have photos of a tan smart doll with a new faceup? most smart doll owners seem to keep everything default, but i might be looking in the wrong places.
>>
>>5353708
Thanks again, I got two, so I'll try that first and if it doesn't work, use sealant on the other.

I'm shocked there's no 1/12 plastic benches that I could find, especially with Hasegawa.
>>
>>5354188
> 99% of the people in this thread are female.
Any vegans?
>>
File: c4f2a644.jpg (104 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
c4f2a644.jpg
104 KB, 720x540
>>5354269
If there are, then they haven't announced themselves yet. We tend to scare away most of the tumblrinas and drama-fiends so what you're left with is fairly lucid, normalfag adults who buy expensive dolls and expensive accessories for the expensive dolls.
>>
>>5354269
what?
>>
>>5354291
> If there are, then they haven't announced themselves yet
Which is weird.
>>5354296
Well, anon somewhat above stated about fem population in the thread, so I decided, if such a thing had to be uncovered, that the next step would be for vegans to pop out and notify everyone of their presence. They are vegans after all, telling everyone they're vegan is like their part time job or something.
>>
File: gay music dolls.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
gay music dolls.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1728
what is the purpose of discussing vegans in a doll thread
>>
>>5354438
i think anon wanted to gauge his own idea of cancerosity of the people here or something like that.
>>
File: 140.gif (7 KB, 129x156) Image search: [Google]
140.gif
7 KB, 129x156
>>5354411
>>
>>5354460
I think it's just a misguided attempt to be insulting or something.

>>5354202
You should check chienism's site (faceup artist), i know there are a few customized Smartdolls in her gallery. Not sure if tanned ones yet but there probably will be soon since the Smartdoll people seem to like her work. Actually it was her vines of the Smartdoll heads that she was working on (shown in a few different angles) that made me decide not to get one since they have a weird, squishy lack of facial definition compared to DDs even though they look fine from the front.
>>
>>5354411
>Well, anon somewhat above stated about fem population in the thread, so I decided, if such a thing had to be uncovered, that the next step would be for vegans to pop out and notify
Ok I see what you're saying now (implying that saying there are girls here is as unnecessary as saying there are vegans here.) Anon, you realize they only said that the posters are female because you brought in that dumb comment about being gay at the gym, right?

...do you even have dolls/want to talk about them or are just posting on this thread to bother us dollfags?
>>
>>5354560
> right?
Wrong, since the point was just to point out hypocrisy of the anon waaaay above now.
>>
File: day trip.jpg (155 KB, 930x620) Image search: [Google]
day trip.jpg
155 KB, 930x620
>>5354601
I'm the anon that begged your comment about the gym. There was no hypocracy in my comment. Someone asked what people have against Choo. I explained what people have against Choo. I also mentioned that I like the look of one of the dolls he's releasing in March.

Nowhere in my post did I say "Don't support Choo because of the image he projects regarding doll and figure collectors." IF I had said something like that and then followed-up with "I like this doll and might buy it," then that would certainly be an example of a hypocritical statement.
>>
>>5352825
maybe its not piss yellow but its looking a little semen-y. those are some pretty faceups.
>>
>>5354601
>>5354627
I can't even understand where this discussion is going now but vegan-anon needs to stop derail and accept that yes it is occasionally mentioned there are girls in this thread.

>>5354659
Ha, I distinctly remember that when Heliot's semitransparent parts first arrived there was a string of jokes on DoD about how it was pretty but distinctly semen-y looking, so that's probably a result of Heliot's parts' particular color mix (like, it was never really totally clear, it was white stuff that was semitransparent.)
>>
>>5354659
True, it's a bit less obvious when the doll itself has yellowed too.
I airbrush the horns anyway so it doesn't bother me too much, but a whole doll in that color? Irks, no thanks.
>>
File: 5478656223_9138107ae3_z.jpg (19 KB, 480x344) Image search: [Google]
5478656223_9138107ae3_z.jpg
19 KB, 480x344
>>5354665
They definitely never were super crystal clear, but they were not that yellow right from the start.
I also still have the bow, and because it was always stored in the box it's a lot clearer and "colder" looking.

Have to say though, clear parts are always a bit of a gamble.
Friend of mine had a Shale that arrived with two different transparent hooves (one super clear, the other was clouded with bubbles).
She asked Soom for a replacement and it ended with four new hooves that were all scratched, bubbled and/our cloudy.
She gave up in the end and just airbrushed the hooves.
>>
File: AskaS1440102661.jpg (57 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
AskaS1440102661.jpg
57 KB, 600x400
>>5354202
>most smart doll owners seem to keep everything default
I own a Mirai, and the only things I changed about her were trimming her wig to be elbow length and her clothes. I understand there's a lot of pressure on Smart Doll owners to change things but I just like her the way she came when I bought her. Wouldn't have bought her if I didn't like the way she looked.
>>
File: where's your eyebrow bro.png (373 KB, 433x552) Image search: [Google]
where's your eyebrow bro.png
373 KB, 433x552
I've decided to commission someone to give my doll a new faceup, because I'm getting sick of the company one.
Where do I find good faceup artists? I've been going through the DOA marketplace and I keep find people who are either shit like pic related or whose aesthetic won't fit my doll.
>>
>>5354792
DoA, Flickr, Tumblr, DevArt and so on.

What kind of aesthetic are you looking for?
Price limited?
Country?
Willing to send abroad?
>>
File: DSC09661_1024x1024.jpg (209 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
DSC09661_1024x1024.jpg
209 KB, 1024x1024
>>5354788
While we're on topic, Eiji just went up for order.
>http://shop.smartdoll.jp/products/smart-doll-005-eiji-seiun
>>
>>5354795
Thanks for your help anon, I will try Flickr and Tumblr, I have inactive accounts on both sites.

I find it hard to describe what I want because I don't know exactly what it is. I will draw a mockup before I consult an artist. But I'm basically looking for something:
>Realistic facial features
>Some sharp details but not uber gritty realistic see-every-pore
>Very particular eyebrow shape and placement, looking a little untidy. I would give Daenerys Targaryen as an example, just a different shape
>Obvious makeup, smoky eyes etc
So I want a realistic look but more like an idealistic painting than a real person.
I will spend as much money as I need to, I'll just save up a bit.
I'm located in Australia so an Australian artist would be nice but I wouldn't mind shipping to Asia or America. I'm a little scared of shipping things to Europe though.

Does anyone know off the top of their head someone I can throw my money at?
>>
>>5354823
Just going off the 'realism but not gritty-russian-tier' bit, maybe Onionbulb?
Other good artists that might not fit your criteria but who do good faceups if you want to take a look are maiyaeh, chienism, and shecow.
>>
>>5354803

yikes, that looks hideous.
>>
>>5354823
Hmm, might Rugged Realism be your type or is she too gritty already?
She's also in Australia and has decent prices.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63616790@N00/

Otherwise I would have said Xanthi but honestly, getting a slot with her is impossible nowadays and the ones she auctions off on ebay sometimes go away for hundreds of dollars.
>>
>>5354803
The fact that the wig obscures his overall head/face shape in every promo shot is really telling. He probably still has chronic alien syndrome under there.
>>
>>5350913
Wow, I really like these dolls, they remind me of Iplehouse, I especially like Sarah and Mika, and I'm really pleased they're 1/4 which is my preferred size.

The default faceups aren't much to write home about tho.
>>
>>5354845
>>5354852

Thanks guys! I saved all of them to a notepad file. It will be a month or more before I have enough money saved up so I'll just keep an eye on all of them.
>>
>>5354803
Also, every image is straight on full face, not to mention no-nip steve.

>tfw no suitable husbando doll
>>
File: 22643784958_7a960ab8f4_b.jpg (110 KB, 1020x676) Image search: [Google]
22643784958_7a960ab8f4_b.jpg
110 KB, 1020x676
Oh man, this looks like the handsome face memes.

I think it's the half closed eyes.
>>
>>5354093
She's really cute! I'm assuming the size will be the same as Mirai, but I think a smart doll in MDD size would be cute.
>>
>>5355261
Might be DDS size since this OC Donut Steal is a tad shorter than Mirai iirc.
>>
>>5354860
the sculptor of racoon doll used to (might still) sculpt for iplehouse. racoon doll is their own side thing.
>>
>>5354934
Elfgutz, I....
>>
>>5354803
hopefully it'll sell well.
Not really fond of the sculpt but if it works we may get better husbando dolls in the future.
>>
>>5354803
Will a dollho masturbrator fit him?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 86

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.