[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys justify spending $400-$800 on a Hot Toys figure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: 5464654222.jpg (97 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
5464654222.jpg
97 KB, 640x960
How do you guys justify spending $400-$800 on a Hot Toys figure that will be placed on a shelf that no one will most likely see other then in pictures you post. not a shitpost i'm genuinely curious
>>
File: thats bait.webm (358 KB, 1912x792) Image search: [Google]
thats bait.webm
358 KB, 1912x792
>>5341199
>>
>>5341201
it's really not. i buy figures but i never spend more than like $70 on them. i'd like a Hot Toys figure but i just cant see myself spending that much money on a figure.
>>
I happen to have mixed collection but I only buy HT figures based on characters that hold a very special place in my heart and if they have very little available figures out there that are actually good/accessible.

That said, I'm buying Ultron myself, but I don't just leave my figures on a shelf since I happen to like posing around my figures a lot (I should warn you that handling them does take a bit of getting used to if you've had little experience with 1/6 figures).

The elitism in getting such a priced piece can be ridiculous though, so unless you REALLY like the character and think you need something like a HT figure of them in your collection (as is the case with Ultron for me) then you're honestly better off not buying any.

Of course, all this stuff I said hardly applies to those who already collect 1/6 figures on a regular basis.
>>
>>5341206
>Why the fuck should you care what other people spend their money on, or their motivations for doing so?

curiosity. and i wasn't out here "trolling" or getting people to admit their insecurity about collecting them, seems like the only insecure one is you. what's up your ass anyway?
>>
The only positive I know of about 1:6 is that the scale pisses Jin off something fierce for some reason.

Aside from that, they overprice the shit out of a bunch of $30 toys.
>>
>>5341239
>The only positive I know of about 1:6 is that the scale pisses Jin off something fierce for some reason.
Wait what? Really?
>>
>>5341267
He probably can't afford them because his momwife won't give him money, but with Jin being so easily triggered by anything it's hard to say. For all I know he hates the scale because cats exist or some shit.
>>
>>5341203

How do you justify spending $70 on a figure that will be placed on a shelf that no one will most likely see other then in pictures you post? not a shitpost i'm genuinely curious
>>
>>5341199
Not every expensive purchase needs to be made just to impress random people in public.

But for me it was a combination of a present for myself and a character I absolutely love to make the price worth it.
>>
>>5341199
I'M RICH, BITCH!
>>
>>5341199
Because I enjoy them and I'm not an insecure little prick who only buys things to impress other people.
>>
>>5341203
You see, you buy a figure for 70 bucks each, maybe buy several ones in a few months.
Some people prefer to save the money and instead get one figure they really like and is good quality.

But who am I to judge, I collect BJDs, I'm glad if a full doll I like is less than 700 bucks...naked, unpainted.
>>
File: tumblr_nokn3zvE0j1qzgnzho1_250.gif (318 KB, 245x175) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nokn3zvE0j1qzgnzho1_250.gif
318 KB, 245x175
>>5341199
MFW OP is right
>>
>>5341199
Not HT, but I collect 3A and display them in detolfs. People come to play boardgames or hang out and regularly see the changes in my display. The 3A stuff they think is cool, but they mostly fawn over my cheap mainstream toys (TMNT, Power Rangers, any Neca, Trannies, etc.)
>>
Mine was $220, but I digress. I just wanted one really nice toy that I could admire

It's for my own enjoyment, and if no one else cares, whatever. If someone sees it and finds it cool, that's fine too.
>>
If you buy anything other than NECA you're a fucking stinky bumhole
>>
>>5341199

No one will most likely see, or appreciate. I can already picture a family man, dude-bro looking at it and being like "Duude! I used to have those back in college/high school! McFarlane is the best, brah!"
>>
Never spent more than $250 on a figure, and I have three DX HTs (not a big fan of the scale, but then again, I haven't seen anything of interest lately). They're really great for drawing reference and I could easily make that money back when I sell my work.

Sure, it's nice to post pictures of your collection to share with other enthusiasts, but I don't purchase these things to impress anybody. Most people I know IRL don't really know that I'm a collector, not because I hide it, but because I don't talk about it much.
>>
>>5341272
Uh, shut the fuck up about your ex boyfriend already. If anything, you trigger me talking about Jin in every thread here.
>>
>>5341199
weird why is hot toys making a robot Earnest Borgnyne?

and why is he named 'Guardian' and not 'Borg-9'?!
>>
>>5341199
No one will most likely see? Lel. Maybe for a futfuck troll like you who never has people visit your (mom's) house. But I have friends over all the time, parties even, and my toys are all on display on my detolfs. I get called a dork every once in a while, some people love them. Either way, it's never a big deal or a point of focus. They're just there like the TV.
>>
>>5341199
1/6 scale - at least the good quality kind - is way above my price range. Sure, I can afford a 300 dollar toy every once in a while, but it has to be pretty damned exceptional, and to me, 1/6 scale is like the worst place for me to put my money in. I mean, who's just gonna buy just one?

...granted, there aren't that many characters in that scale I'd want enough to dish out that much cash for anyway. Mr. Bean maybe.
>>
>>5341199
>How do you guys justify spending $400-$800 on a Hot Toys
I cant. I bought two, and I wanted a few more but i stopped. Theyre way too expensive for what you get and I cannot escape the feeling that I am playing with a 'doll' and not a 'action figure'. They look fantastic, obviously, but theyre no fun at all to play with so theyre no good to me.

>that will be placed on a shelf that no one will most likely see other then in pictures

here youre opening up an even deeper can of worms, and its this though process that has me dramatically thinning out my collection, leaving only my most prized pieces remaining..
>>
>>5341430

>but they mostly fawn over my cheap mainstream toys (TMNT, Power Rangers, any Neca, Trannies, etc.)

I would imagine it's because they actually know what those are.
>>
>>5341845
Oh, that's 100% why. I do find it funny though that my wife's father thinks the opposite. He doesn't understand adult toys and hates any kind of fantasy stuff, but actually really digs my 3A. Granted my 3A is all military or cowboys, and I feel eastern Europeans just stereotypically like that.
>>
>>5341843
>nnot escape the feeling that I am playing with a 'doll' and not a 'action figure'.

So being smaller and made of shittier plastic transforms something into an action figure?
>>
>>5341894
the plastic hot toys uses is no better or worse than bandai's figuarts line. in fact lots of hot toys figures have terrible flaws so whatever family
>>
The same way I justify spending 600-1500 dollars on a gun I'll shoot at the range a few times a year and never actually use for anything practical.

It's fun.
>>
File: mutiescum.jpg (25 KB, 300x449) Image search: [Google]
mutiescum.jpg
25 KB, 300x449
>>5341894
not him, but dolls are very awkward to play with. They're big, top heavy, and their articulation is always being blocked or impeded by the clothes in some way or another.
They also take up a ton of space, so it's hard to have more than three in front of you interacting with each other.
They're just not very fun and why i also stopped collecting 1/6 scale dolls.

And they are dolls.

The "doll" term only applies to action figures (before the 20s, they were just called figurines or just toys) for protecting domestically made products by putting a tariff on all imported figures.
They used an overly broad definition to make sure all human-like toys from anywhere outside of the US had to be taxed.
Toy Biz went to court to not pay these duty fees on their action figures and won, by arguing that their toys aren't human. Thus, their XMen and Fantastic Four figures aren't considered dolls for tax purposes.
>>
>>5341199
How can a grown ass adult justify spending any amount of money on any plastic toys?

Not a shit post answer, I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>5341199
>not a shitpost i'm genuinely curious

And thus, the trap has been laid
>>
>>5341199
>$400-$800
>No clank clank, no buy! Go away with yo cheap plastic!
It's strange that die-cast shitposts died out.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.