[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there no generic Santa figures?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
>No figma
>No figuarts
>No NECA

Why? He's recognizable world wide and not copyrighted, not anymore to my knowledge.
I know there are figures of specific iterations of Santa, but I'm talking about plain old Santa. I would love to pose a Santa giving my other figures gifts
>>
File: Santa02.jpg (73 KB, 630x612) Image search: [Google]
Santa02.jpg
73 KB, 630x612
>>5319351
I think this concept is more niche than you might expect. Who would buy this Santa figure? Mostly just a few nerds who want to pose it giving gifts to their other toys. It'd bomb at retail I think, kids wouldn't see the appeal and adults would likely prefer less articulated, more charming looking ornaments or statues of good ol' Saint Nick.

I say settle for this cute little fella, or one of the other "franchise" Santa toys out there. It's as good as you're gonna get. Or y'know, pay someone to make a custom. It wouldn't be too hard.
>>
This I guess technically counts, but I just think itd be cool if there was a fully sculpted and highly articulated Santa like a figuarts with a bunch of different hands and accessories. Not this retro styled figure....
>>
>>5319351
Doesn't Coke own the rights to the generic look of Santa? Or is that just a rumor?
>>
>>5319497
I doubt it. For one, it's probably old enough to be in public domain. Secondly, so many movies, etc use the imagery that they can't hold a claim to it even if they invented him. Lastly, you'd look like a total dick if you were a company suing someone for using Santa. No one wants that kind of press.
>>
>>5319497
Urban legend. The iconic look of modern Santa existed before Coke used him in advertising.
>>
>>5321387
Personally i always liked either green robed santa or the Aussie santa.

>>5319351
Figma might put one out, someday. They often try to put out meme figures and might one day try and do some holiday mascots.

I'd get it.
>>
>>5321410
I could see them doing it via A Christmas Carol.
>>
>>5319497
>>5321363
>>5321387
There is some truth to it.
Santa wore red before coke got a hold of him, but they did create the plump red and WHITE version we know and love today

source:
http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/2008/01/did-coke-create/
>>
>>5321425
Santa/Father Christmas was always white and red, coke didn't add white.
>>
File: 1449343838049.jpg (80 KB, 540x432) Image search: [Google]
1449343838049.jpg
80 KB, 540x432
Our best hope for a generic Santa figure is a Holiday film being released using the design, that film being successful enough to create a demand for figures, and then figures being made of said characters and Santa.
>>
>>5321437
it might speed things along if santa were in an anime, but then that runs the risk of it being another moeblob.
>>
>>5319359
I got that one but it came with a present with a plane instead of a sack and elephant.
>>
I have this same problem, but I want an articulated Jesus figure.
>>
>>5321430
He was actually green in an earlier incarnation. Really he's a dozen different European winter spirits and tradtions that have merged together and changed over the centuries.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.