[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much money does /toy/ to feed their toy addiction? Me personally,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 640x400
How much money does /toy/ to feed their toy addiction?

Me personally, $80 - $100. Currently collecting Star Wars Black Series 6" and McFarlane's 5" Walking Dead line. (Dis-continued)
>>
/toy/ spend monthly *
>>
>>5743398

Typically probably 50-100 bucks a month as I usually get like a single figma or a couple gundam kits or something.

Though if HLJ or hobbysearch or something has a good sale this can easily spike to 300 or so.
>>
>>5743417
I say to myself $80-100 is a good level, but sometimes a string of preorders just come up and you feel like they put a gun on your head with limited release.

For example Figuarts Tony sold out on HLJ in hours, which kind of freak me out. I put him on Figinstock and had to PO him immediately when someone cancel their PO. Same deal with the recent deadpool. This month has been really bad for PO since I had to PO Figuarts Tony Stark, Revo Deadpool, Figma ZSS, and go for the 4 Horsemen Mythic Legion bowl on BBT since I missed the kickstarter.
>>
I try to stick to $100 a month but it usually gets close to $200.
>>
>>5743400
Depends if I have something on preorder or I see something I want. Which isn't every month.

I only bought one toy this month, the figuarts Fujiko.
>>
My year to date average is about $100 per month but I might be tempted to double that the next few months.
>>
>work in gundam shop
>as a result gunpla is dirt cheap
>end up buying something to build a day because it's dirt cheap
>>
>>5743398
Wait, you aren't getting Figuarts? Haha retard alert!
>>
>>5743398
It really depends on the person's financial situation, but I'd say like $80-$100 seems like a good average for most one here. There are a few outliers, like really casual collectors who strictly buy any figure they want but not at a steady rate. Others will spend $200 on one figure alone, times 5 if they order multiple figures at once.
>>
My average is about $150 a month. I'm at the point now where in short order the monthly average is going to go down. The things I plan to strictly focus on for the remainder of the year are SAS, SHF Kinnikuman, Marvel Select, VAH, and any MOTUC still outstanding from my collection, and thankfully most of those have really spread out release schedules.
>>
Depends on the month.
Right now September is coming hard on me.
Gintoko VAH
Samurai Spidey
Flash Mezco(hopefully)
But I'm not even preordering any of them
August is San Diego CC and a con in ny country.
Who knows what could they anounce on september or later making me change my mind on any of the above
>>
I think I spent like $14k in 2014, $16k last year, and I'm at like $5k this year.
>>
it depends on what's out
The past year or so, I've been getting $5 from TRU every month because i've pretty much bought something at TRU everytime i step into the store to find something. Even when they didn't have something i was searching for, I'd buy a McFarlane lego set.
Then there's the DCC stuff I've been getting from my comic book shops and the odd model here and there.
So on average, i probably spend about $200-300 a month.

This month I'm just saving up for SDCC, where i'll be splurging on just about anything. Last year i spent about $900 there and that wasn't enough....
>>
>>5743398
$100-$200 a month, but that number can go as high as $500 if some crazy shit comes out on a limited basis.

The 100-200 is mainly for Marvel Legends and Neca figures. The extra is shit like the Mythic Legion kickstarter or JoJo figures that pop up on mandarake. Also if there's a toy convention (once every 3 months or so), I might spend anywhere from $50-$200 just on there.
>>
File: 1442335647809.gif (295 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1442335647809.gif
295 KB, 320x240
Used to be $100-200/month.
Just sold off 1/3 of my collection as of these past 6 months (decided that I only want to collect 4 things nowadays), and cleared off most of my backlog this month with the extra toy funds.

So maybe about $300-400~ bi-yearly, now. Doesn't help that Bandai isn't releasing a lot of the stuff I want.
>>
>>5743398
I don't buy stuff systematically, just when something catches my eye. I only buy one or two figures a month though at most, so never above $100 or so. But most months I don't actually spend anything.
>>
>>5743398
>spending 100 dollars a month on hasbro shit
>>
Like 2 million a month lol
>>
If it were a real addiction, I'd have died several times over from withdrawal-overdose-withdrawal-overdose. It would average out to $100 per month if everything wasn't delayed a random number of months until enough slammed together all at once. It's a difficult hobby to budget for because nobody at the other end has their act together.
>>
>>5744546
...you are aware that, when something is delayed, you have even more time to save up for something?
>>
>>5743398
I really try to limit myself since I don't have much space/am not interested in a whole lot. There's some months where I don't spend anything, and some where I might spend 60 bucks on a figure. Currently have some stuff on preorder but won't be released til August. I'm kind of proud of myself for not spending too much on figures so far.
>>
>>5743398
I collect G.I.Joe, so i spend like $90 a year
>>
>>5744555
You've never had enough orders bunch up that it exceeds a credit limit or maximum transaction size? And the retailer won't split up the charge because herp derp?
>>
200-400$ canadian dollarooneys per month

It's only been going down since the itch has been dying lately.
>>
>>5745169
By all means, open an account with EE and get fucked when they can't charge you for what you ordered but they can ding you 15% in cancellation fees.
>>
File: Money.gif (383 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
Money.gif
383 KB, 500x371
>>5743398

Really depends. The past few months I've been feeding money into it fairly hard, because there hasn't been much else for me to throw my money at. No good video games, no books I am interested in, and my money only really goes to games, figures, and books in terms of entertainment (except for TV and internet, but that gets filed under generic "bills I gotta pay" and not " 'Free' money to spend on shit I like").

My monthly 'free' money budget is around $120-300+ depending on bills/season, since heat and shit costs big bucks where I live so I'm always strapped for cash after bills and othe neccessities are taken care of during the cold months.
>>
>>5745169
>bunch up that it exceeds a credit limit or maximum transaction size?
No, probably because I have enough control to never spend more than $500 in one transaction, even with delays.

Just put funds on your Paypal and use that, instead of using your debit/credit card directly.
>And the retailer won't split up the charge because herp derp?
What retailers do you use that won't allow you to split your packages?
>>
>>5745261
>control, $500
Yeah, see, preorder 4 Machine Robos and there's almost half your limit. You didn't order an MP TF and a case of ML to get the rest of the way? Doesn't take much. You seriously can't order anything Hasbro, Diamond, or Figma and not have it show up a random number of months late. If you follow more than two toy lines it's not at all difficult to wind up in that situation.

>hook your bank up to PayPal
Because your bank doesn't impose transaction size limits? I had my PayPal locked for over a month and a half because they disconnected my bank over a limit and put a hold on my account all while blaming my bank for said hold. Had to call both of them half a dozen times to get it fixed.

>won't split orders
Entertainment Earth won't do it so they can ding you with a cancellation charge. BBTS forces you to cancel items and reorder them. HLJ won't even let you do that, preferring to just close your account instead. Same with AmiAmi. I don't know about Anime Export, Captured Prey, or CDjapan because my orders have been very small.
>>
>>5744555
>implying /toy/ is smart enough to know how to save and theyre not underagefags using mommy's money
it would explain why so many people on /toy/ like to preorder, because then they only need to ask mommy once for the money instead of their mom getting angry for driving them to the store.
>>
>>5745357
Unless you are spending near-limit every month, you're very much able to leave some money in your Paypal account the month(s) prior before a release if your figure(s) get delayed. Since you lack control and need to spend almost/over $500 or some shit every fucking month for it to become an actual issue, of course.

And I don't know about your Western shit, but Figmas often get delayed the same or next month they were planned on being released, eg. Kiryu. And if delays are an issue in general? Don't pre-order the damn Figma shit, then. They rarely ever close their pre-orders, and they're easily obtainable when they get released.

I can understand needing to pre-order a SHFSS because they can easily go off the market fast, but there's no reason to bother with Figmas. Hell, not even MPs get their pre-orders closed, so you're not forced to pre-order those either.

Amiami and HLJ very much allows you to split orders so you don't need to pay everything on one transaction.
tl;dr
>leave money in your Paypal gradually, so you can use funds instead of just relying entirely on your debit/credit card
>don't bother with pre-ordering unless you have to, just buy your shit under different orders + combine so you don't need to pay for everything in one go.
>or you can just not buy everything the month it comes out and get it some other time, you know.
>>
>>5743555
Jesus
>>
>>5743398
I've been slowing down on my collecting ever since figure prices have risen and my country's exchange rate went to shit. These days it sometimes works out CHEAPER to buy my toys locally rather than import, once all the shipping and exchange fees are calculated.

If things continue down this path could I see myself leaving the hobby very soon. I'm glad I've gotten nearly everything I wanted though.

Oh, as for your question, about $100-150 every 3-4 months.
>>
>>5743398
Try to keep my monthly pre-order at or below 100 burger bucks.
Usually end up buying something extra towards the middle of the month, so somewhere around $150-180
>>
What is your ballpark figure net worth /toy/?

I have about $3000 worth of figures over the years of collecting, buying and selling, but I don't know how to display them. I only live in a studio apartment so I only have a single detolf. If I spread my toy around, like around the kitchen, TV and such my place looks like a manchild cave and doesn't do the expensive figures any justice at all.
>>
>>5743398
i don't really buy them regularly so ill go a few months without any perchases and buy several figures at once. Price depends on what line has the best, mostly buy bandai star wars model kits so those arent too expensive. When i get toys it'll be anywhere from $30-200
>>
>>5745392
Nigga I make over 70k after taxes. My main problem is space at this point
>>
>>5752701
>one other person on /toy/ is a responsible adu-
wait... are you responsible?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.