[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bgg/ board game general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: Power_Grid_Carcassonne.jpg (1 MB, 749x1024) Image search: [Google]
Power_Grid_Carcassonne.jpg
1 MB, 749x1024
Mashup edition
old thread >>47181292
pastebin: http://pastebin.com/w0jkangT
>what have you played since last general?
>what game are you craving, yet responsibly holding off on purchasing?
>which two games would you like to see mashed up into one?
>what's your favorite fan variant?
>>
>>47245585
So I played Cosmic Encounter with one of the designers on TTS tonight. He said that they're designing a CE standalone game for 2 players.

How does /bgg/ feel about that? I think it sounds neat
>>
>>47245585
Age of Empires III today. Fucking fantastic worker placement. I played orange/Holland and went full makemoney and getgoods. I only went to civilize in order to get trade goods and nobody really targeted the merchant ships nor warfare, and I ended up winning by a landslide with 110VP. In the final round I was robbed the capital building that would've given me 1VP per $5 at the end, which would've added 25VP had I gotten it.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis where one player has no explorers but controls the sea creatures.
>>
>>47245626
How do you do a chaotic multiplayer game of ganging up on one another with only two players?
>>
>>47245904
I didn't really question it. Obviously it would feel and play very differently but I'm sure there's something else worthwhile you could do with all those alien powers
>>
>>47245626
Well CE is shit and this sounds shit too, so I guess it's exactly par for the course.
>>
>>47245585
tfw haven't had time to play

Successors (ultra expensive 2nd hand copy)
Welcome to Centerville (P500)
Silent Victory
Hands in the Sea
Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain (P500)
Rommel in the Desert
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan (P500)
Grand Prix (P500)
ComancherĂ­a (P500)

>>47246161
Given the experiences I've had with CE I'd say this anon is pretty much on the mark.
>>
ded thred ded hobby
>>
>>47245585
>>what game are you craving, yet responsibly holding off on purchasing?

I've got like $400+ worth of stuff on my CSI wish list. But I don't have a huge need for more games at the moment so I'm holding off.
>>
>>47245585
C3I Issue #27 with Soviet Dawn

It's a solo game, but I'm really holding my horses on that one.

In wargames category - WBC Historical Variant for Paths of Glory.
Other than that, a small rule change in Memoir '44, where artillery guns are hit on a Grenade AND on a Flag.
>>
File: Blood-Rage-minis.jpg (186 KB, 700x760) Image search: [Google]
Blood-Rage-minis.jpg
186 KB, 700x760
anons, what do you think about Blood Rage?
>>
>>47245585
Brothers in town and I've had a week off work so we've had 4 game nights and played the following:

Coup
Pandemic
Love letter
Catacombs
Forbidden Stars
The resistance: Avalon
spyfall
Cosmic encounter
ONUW
Lords of Waterdeep
King of New York
Fury of Dracula
Sheriff of Nottingham
And lots of netrunner

It's been a wild ride.
>>
File: photo-original.png (1 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
photo-original.png
1 MB, 1024x576
Time for another turn of the hype wheel. Haven't read the up-to-date rules yet but after watching the run-through video I really can't wait. Especially the 'modifying your exo-suits' expansion. Between this and Scythe I'm looking forward to getting out the paintbrush again.
>>
>>47248330
It makes me wanna dress in furs, grab a maul and praise Wotan.
>>
I bought Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and found out that apparently some of the text in Case 3 is messed up and there was some errata made for it. I don't want to dig too far and spoil the game for myself, but are there more issues with any of the other cases?
>>
>>47249759
There's a few, but I haven't had issues with it so far, still managed to figure out case 3 without errata eventually. Just knowing that some typos might exist is enough to get you past most of the problems I've seen.
>>
>>47248330
I don't know but the guy I know who bought it was expecting something more "dense" in the gameplay department
>>
>>47250275
So is the hypothesis "the more elaborate the minis are, the more simplistic the gameplay will be" true?
>>
>>47250334
at least that's the impression the dude I play with got from Bloodrage. we still need to put our shit together and buy a box of Decent 2nd to see how it's.
>>
>>47250362
I played Descent 2nd ED and it was okay I guess. As somebody summed it up "Dungeon Crawl for those that don't want to play a tabletop RPG". Still, we had fun times with friends. Moreover, FFG announced an app for Descent, so no more problem with "who's going to DM this time".
>>
>>47250135
How did you enjoy the game overall? My wife is really excited since she loves mystery novels so playing detective suits her
>>
>>47250571
We've only done about half the cases, but my wife is of similar mind to yours, and it's been a great game for quiet at-home date nights or even playing out at dinner with other couples.
>>
>>47250413
>no more problem with "who's going to DM this time".

Except why wouldn't you want to play as the overlord. Best part of the game, especially when you get to mess around with lieutenant decks.
>>
>>47250975
Well, last time I was the overlord and I had to explain the rules, even though I didn't have the time to read them properly, because it's not my game.

Maybe if my group tries again, but this time giving me time to prepare, then it would be better.
>>
Anyone pick up some games with the CSI flash sale over the last 2 days? Or just anything you picked up you're excited about?
>>
>>47245585
Mostly Netrunner, been winning over a good bit of my friends into it, so it's all good. I do miss playing regular board games though, if all plans work out next week I'll be looking at a whole day of board games.

Almost every game I see being sold in this one second hand games group I'm in. No income sucks.

Fairly new, so I can't think of one. Maybe Castles of Mad King Ludwig + Betrayal?

Haven't played with enough variants to have one, though solo variants are always nice.
>>
>>47248330

Huh, played it for the first time today.

I... dunno. Something is missing. Maybet too much luck with the cards, maybe if you fuck up once you don't get any more chance... I dunno, would have to replay.

Thematically is very weak, but that's not really a problem with me.
>>
File: HRvC.jpg (979 KB, 1024x663) Image search: [Google]
HRvC.jpg
979 KB, 1024x663
So Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage is supposedly getting a reprint this year, and will include the Hamilcar expansion. Anyone here played it? Something to get hype about?
>>
>>47250334
>>47250275
It did seem really kind of thin to me.

But it's a surprisingly social game.
>>
>>47248807
Ho-Lee Sheeit
>>
File: dalla.jpg (23 KB, 196x255) Image search: [Google]
dalla.jpg
23 KB, 196x255
>>47248476
>always felt like Waterdeep was missing something
>mfw playing corruption expansion

So much better

Also Fury of Dracula is great
>>
Nothing. Meant to go to a meetup today, but then I remembered I had other commitments. I think there's something on Monday, but I'll have to check
Corto - it'll cost at least £32, and I'm not sure I can justify it on a game everyone says is pretty good at best.
I don't think much of board game mashups - they just lead to shit like Munchkin Gloom.
I love that there's a TTR map of The Isle of Sodor
>>
Bottom of the 9th came in the mail on Thursday and holy crap is it fun.

Anyone else here play Bot9?

Also, sadly Amazon shipped me strat-o-matic pro football instead of baseball so I can't play som yet.
>>
I really enjoy the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books. Has anyone here played the Lankhmar war game, and if so, is it any good? Worth tracking down a copy?

Any recommended dungeon crawl games that capture the feel of low-level old school D&D, where you were hardier than the average person, but not by all that much, more of a realistic badass than fantasy superman?
>>
Nothing. Meetup tomorrow, expecting AGoT.
Entire wishlist on hold, already reached my monthly cap.
Agree with >>47257092 most mashups result in abominations.
Shattered Ascension. Fans have given TI3 so much love, it needs to be worked into TI4
>>
Onitama's pretty interesting, though I think it might benefit from an extra middle card to choose from.
>>
File: i'm ok with this.jpg (19 KB, 379x214) Image search: [Google]
i'm ok with this.jpg
19 KB, 379x214
Back from my first game of TI3. 6 players
>be mentak
>have best start up planet in front of me
>charge straight to mecatol with big ass fleet
>political card gets drawn for artifact, 50% chance mecatol blows up
>there goes six ships in my fleet
>xxacha sneaks through asteroid field and steals my home planet for the win w/ secret objective
It was so hilarious I couldn't feasibly be mad. Good game. Would play again in like two months.
>>
>>47259584
Also my birthday is tomorrow and I have that big box board game itch again. Should I ask for Freedom or Eldritch Horror?
>>
Would it be possible to put a list of currently running kickstarters in the OP?
I'm not in the loop about these things and the only way I find out is when people make passing mentions about them.
I'm sure other people would appreciate it too.
>>
>>47245585
>played
Dominion- neat setup with lots of attacks, reactions and trashers (Cornucopia and Dark Ages) Very low final scores, no idea how the guy who won scrapped together the golds for two provinces
Tanto Cuore Oktoberfest- yes we played both deckbuilders in the same night. I won because my friends didn't bother trying to get beer cards and we all got pretty much the same maid cards which ended the game quickly
New York 1901- my one friend misinterpreted a rule and got pissed, the other just had no idea how to strategize. I won handily even though they weren't really behind on buildings. Very surprised that this supposedly family-weight game was too thinky for them
Pandemic- meh we got lucky at the end. My one friend alpha-gamed a lot which got the other ones a little peeved. Meh
Innovation- classic "get Monument through Masonry, snowball into four more achievements, stall out, finally find a decent card, then score just enough to eek out a sixth achievement" win. Dying for the deluxe edition
Cosmic Encounter- I was Visionary (it was never relevant). We had a Schizoid, who triggered the solo win for someone else by having three colonies and successfully making a deal.
>craving but not buying
Fury of Dracula
Seafall
>>47248330
It's fine. I'm lukewarm on it but I see why it's a cool design. I'm a little turned off by the drafting
>>47248807
Cooled off on this. I think the way anomalies/paradoxes are handled is weak.
>>47252313
Fuck. I did and then immediately put it out of my mind until now. Bohnanza, Tales of the Arabian Nights, The King Is Dead, Dominion: Empires preorder (I am literally Donald X's bitch)
>>47259600
Freedom: The Underground Railroad? I don't personally like Eldritch Horror but I think Freedom is mostly for those with a personal/educational interest in the theme. It looks alright but Eldritch Horror has wider appeal
>>
File: spheres.jpg (469 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
spheres.jpg
469 KB, 612x612
Anybody in here bought/backed Spheres of Influence? Looks like really REALLY solid alternative to Risk, but does it really play only 2 hours and don't get tedious quickly?
>>
>>47248807
I think I'm gonna wait on this one. I was all aboard the hype train at first, but I think I'll see how the third or fourth printing reviews are before dumping $60+ into it. I do have to admit, the exo-suit minis are genius.
>>
Anyone else super hyped for Council of Four? Any news on when it should hit North America?
>>
>>47245585
>playan
played a 2P session of Shadows of Malice yesterday, game is ridiculously fun but being able to respawn infinitely felt a bit too easy to eventually grind it out when shadows spawn with a single hit point, might have to bump their hit points up to two so that the threat of Xulthul appearing is legitimate or impose a respawn limit. would love to get a 6-8P session happening

>responsible craving
Space Empires: 4X, gonna wait for the reprint

>fan variant
only fan variant I've played to date is solo Merchants & Marauders, would love to get some Epic Nightfall and Epic Thunderstone action happening at some point. the variant for FFG Wiz-War where you play all of the cards except for counterspells sounds like it'd be a crazy frenzy
>>
>>47254367
It's alright, one of those games that are better than the sum of its parts.

Nothing cooler than having a small army under Hannibal messing around in Italy, trying to break Rome apart, waiting for reinforcements
>>
>>47245585

Naught
TI3 I guess, I just know I'll never get to play it. But craving is a bit of a strong word to be honest. If I really crave something, I buy it.
Was going to say something like "Camp Grizzly" & "Scotland Yard" but "Last Friday" is coming out this year. Got me covered.
Epic thunderstone is fun. I made a variant based on it for Resident Evil.

Btw I posted it here a few weeks ago. Anon who asked for it, did you try ?
>>
>>47246161
>>47246636
I agree it's a terrible game, but the art is so damn good. I bought all the expansions for the artwork and the pretty pieces.

I regret nothing
>>

Lots of games that are language-dependant and are not (yet) released in my native language. I just would not be able to put them on the table with most of my players.

Not really a mash-up, but would really like a Battlestar Galactica Legacy

Can't think of one I really like right now.
>>
>>47264295
>Last Friday
>google it
>one of the characters is a lovably goofy fat party animal
I like that this exists
>>
>>47259584
There is a rule in Twilight Imperium: if you can blow up Mecatol Rex then you must try. I'm glad to see that you followed that rule.
>>
>>47245585

Munchkin and Cards against humanity. A basic night of gaming with friends. We just got an expansion for each of them, so many new laughs were had.

Dominion. A friend of mine introduced me and I'm hooked. It's my first deck building game and I really enjoy it.

One thing that skews my favor is the fact that my buddy had three expansions for the game. But best of all, he put every last card into penny selves, has separate baggies for each card type, and baggies for every game mechanic.
Now, Dominion is one Third shuffling so the sleeves are muy bueno. And to randomizing the Kingdom we just shake the bag that holds everything and grab at random. It made for some quick and awesome games.

I'd like to see some game like settlers of catan mixed with Lego. I want to make my kingdom.

My friends and I play a version of Survive! Escape from Atlantis where the players are Angry gods looking to save our worshipers ad kill the rest as Atlantis sinks. None of the rules change but the game is 10 times more hilarious
>>
>>47265841
Is this what normies sound like? Am I being rused?
>>
Hey Steev, you once posted some variant or something for Twilight Imperium. I think it was a 2 player variant maybe, could you please post it here?
>>
>>47267211
I've just shilled the shattered ascention fan update / variant, wich I have a shameless hard-on for, and advised people to try and keep playercount to 4 or lower and galaxy sizes in the 2-2.5 ring size to help games move faster and more aggressive.
>>
Could any of you suggest me any decent horror themed games (cthulhu games from FFG don't count). It would be perfect if the game would have a lot of negative interaction. Oh, and no deck building/card games please.
>>
>>47267347
Thank you
>>
>>47267750
Mall/City of Horror
Fury of Dracula
>>
>>47266502
You took your first ride on the ruse cruise.
>>
>>47266502
>>47268430
What is so rusing about that post? Maybe I'm just a filthy normie.
>>
>>47268921
Catan mixed with Lego made it obvious you were trolling. Until then it was subtle.
>>
>>47268947
That wasn't me. I brought up Bottom of the 9th but no one responded to it, I guess I'm th only one here who plays that game. Shame, it's fun (if you like baseball at least).
>>
>>47248330

its "okay" but over-rated. Drafting 6 cards barely seems like drafting to me in a 4 player game. Whether or not you build a good combo is more luck than skill, and there's just not enough interesting things going on.

I'd rather play Cthulhu Wars. And I'd probably rather play CitOW too, even though I never have.
>>
Why is /bgg/ always dead? Same for le leddit for board games.
>>
>>47269140
Not 'dead', just slow.
Reeeeeeeeeally slow
>>
>>47269140
Because while people will buy tons of board games, most will only really cycle through about 3-5 games for regular play.
>>
>>47269269
Why don't we all play games online instead together?
>>
>>47269329
>>47269329
What would you suggest?
>>
>>47269329
I'd be game, but your have to be patient. I don't know as many games as I'd like and I do not know how to use TTS too well.
>>
>>47269402
There are tons of free sites out there, like Board Game Arena, Board Game Core (for the big splotter games), and some others. You could just try to search for a game you want to play and see if it's implemented free online somewhere. BGA is pretty good and has a lot of popular classics.
>>
>>47269462
Also, Yucata, Boiteajeux, Brettspielwelt and Tabletopia
>>
Who has played Food Chain Magnate? It's on boardgamecore but that site is practically dead. I really want to try it, but I don't want to pay $100+ and then have no one to play with anyway.
>>
>>47269140
Because when it's really busy it's because people are getting mad at something stupid like me.
>>
>>47267750
Fury of Dracula
>>
Lets talk about Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower.
>>
>>47272046
Yeeeeeaaaaaah, let's not. Fuck GW and their Age of Shitmar moneygrub. I hope it crashes and burns.
>>
>>47272099
salty?

Looks like a solid game. Anyone here had a chance to have a playthrough?
>>
>>47267750
Good horror-ish games I like (minus Eldritch Horror per your stipulations)
Mansions of Madness (1vall game)
Betrayal at the House on the Hill (co-op spooky house exploration that turns into a 1vall game)
Dark Moon (The Thing styled hidden traitor game, my opinion on this is a little more mixed)
>>
File: Thunderstone.jpg (401 KB, 1594x896) Image search: [Google]
Thunderstone.jpg
401 KB, 1594x896
It is finished.

All things Thunderstone: Advance. Sleeved, sorted, and in just three titanicly heavy boxes.

On another note, why are inserts so invariably shit? Sure there's a few diamonds here and there, but 90% of inserts are just absolute shit, especially FFG/ANA's iconic "great plateau". So much wasted space and no room for a reasonable amount of expansion material or any customized bits. Most of the time once you unpack the game you'll never be able to get it to fit, and if you do shit will everywhere once you turn the box.

Do you guys think major publishers will ever care about reasonable insert design? Or are we going to be stuck buying truckloads of foamcore and poster board for the rest of our lives?
>>
File: flash point.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
flash point.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
Got this last week and we can't stop playing it. Such a fun game. We played it with 2, 4, 5 and 6 players and it's always great. Really tense and exciting to see how the fire is gonna spread and how we're gonna work together.

What are your thoughts on Flash Point and how do you like the expansions?
>>
>>47272650
I own it, and played it maybe 4 or 5 times. I don't think I'll bring it out again. Its fun, but its incredibly simple (advanced rules) and every game is pretty much the same.

Theres just not much game there.
>>
Anyone backed Xenoshyft Dreadmire?
>>
Does anyone else have to deal with 'I got it' players? By that I mean players who want to do the exciting or interesting things every time and very rarely share those opportunities with other players on their team, even if it would be more advantageous for others to do them.

If there's a treasure chest on the board he'll go for it even if someone else needs the equipment or is closer. If there's a cool monster on the board he'll attack it even if he's wasting his time or should be dealing with other threats. It extends to PnP games as well. Spooky magical item that is clearly sinister and evil? His 'skeptical of magicians cleric' will be the first to rush altar to put it on.

He can be curbed with several minutes of discussion on to how he could be throwing the game if he rushes for that 'cool' objective (which has happened several times in the past) but it can be a pain when it comes up.

Should I just shun him or just not play those sort of games that have big shiny beacons with him?
>>
>>47245585
>what have you played since last general
Cthulhu Wars. It was so much fun. I immediately want to buy all the faction expansions but I just dropped a 100$ on the base game so I'm probably not going to buy them for quite a while.
>>
>>47273398
My first thought when you said, "I got it" players were those people who aren't big gamers and repeatedly spout this while you try to explain even the simplest rules to them. Sure, you shouldn't waste your time reading the whole rulebook, but this often comes from people who ask you for an explanation of how to play in the first place. It's even worse when someone says, "Oh how do you play?" and within a few seconds they're replying to texts on their phone.

"Oh sorry how does it work again?"

Guess I turned your post into my own rant, but I do have a few people like you described who will purposely ignore the rules/objectives of the game just to do whatever they think sounds more fun. My biggest gripe: playing Betrayal at House on the Hill with bloodthirsty people who will just start attacking others regardless of the situation because it's more "fun."
>>
>>47245585
Played Carcassone for the first time recently, I found it very enjoy
able. Now looking to get the Talisman expansion.
>>
>>47259600
Ask for Eldritch Horror and the Forsaken Lore expansion. So much replayability.
(And then if you're like me and get all the expansions, and printed the 5 fanmade AOs and 4 sideboards, it has absolute infinite replayability.
>>
File: OgreGarageFilled.jpg (162 KB, 800x517) Image search: [Google]
OgreGarageFilled.jpg
162 KB, 800x517
>>47252313
I looked at some stuff from my CSI wish list, but then decided to do the 'responsible adult' thing and didn't actually order anything. It was tempting though.

>>47272046
While I'm not 'butt-hurt' about AoS - I'm largely done supporting GW too. 40K fan for decades, but with the 'Le-Trainwreck' that has been 5th - 7th edition 40K, I can feel for the WFB players that got shafted by GW and AoS. I haven't added anything to my 40K collection in several years, and only occasionally snag something for Necromunda if it catches my eye. GW is its own worst enemy in terms of rules writing, customer service, pricing, and public relations in general. It's a good thing the UK doesn't allow general fire-arms ownership. GW management wouldn't have any toes left.

>>47272642
>All things Thunderstone: Advance. Sleeved, sorted, and in just three titanicly heavy boxes.

Heh, that's impressive! And I have to smile as my Xenoshyft box is stupid heavy as well. As for well designed interiors for game boxes - there are a few out there.
>>
>>47272840
The expansions add a lot.
>>
>>47261183
I'm a big fan of Academy Games. Owned 1775 for a while and Fief too but only played once, but I love just everything they make. Planning on picking up a CoH game when those come out.

>>47273523
EH looks real good but I think I'll hold off for the time being. Just not sure if it's quite the sort of thing I'm interested in. I'll probably try to play it first.
>>
>>47272642
I'm impressed, good job anon!

I love the insert for the Valley Games reprint of Titan, and I still have the inserts for Nightfall, Galaxy Defenders (only because I don't have expansions yet), Fate of Indines and a few microgames. Everything else has been thrown away, which is a shame because I'd love to see more good inserts but I know it's never going to happen.
>>
What is the fast board game discussion on the internet?
>>
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/i-have-suicidal-depression-and-board-games-saved-my-life/
>>
>>47274825
I'm glad he found something he could enjoy that helped him deal with his depression.
>>
>>47269140
Today was the opening of event registration for Gencon, thousands upon thousands of nerds spent the last week looking at spreadsheet catalogs to try and figure out what to add to their wishlist, and then hours today trying to fix things when plans A-F went tits up.

>>47272650
Maybe my favorite co-op to pull out because of how easily you can scale it with player count/difficulty, but the base game can get repetitive if you know how certain roles interact at various player counts. Extreme Danger and Dangerous Waters are both really good for keeping it fresh, but I've been eyeing the airplane map from Honor & Duty. Can't decide if I need it, or Greedy Greedy Goblins more this month.
>>
File: BottomOfThe9th.jpg (1 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
BottomOfThe9th.jpg
1 MB, 2656x1494
Anyone here support this kickstarter (well for an expansion) other than me?
>>
>>47275479
>Gencon

Don't grasp at straws. All board game forums are dead. People just don't care about them as much as other things.
>>
>>47275983
(You)
>>
>>47275983
Not grasping at any straws, I do a reasonable amount of posting here and on other sites, the last thing I remember posting anything about was Cajon bags, and that was maybe 10 minutes while on the phone with a client and taking notes instead of working on my vacation schedule.

Speaking of, can the anon who bought one get a picture up of what Kemet looks like in that sucker? I know it won't fit a coffin box, but I wanna know what the real estate looks like with something other than TtR and Euro boxes.
>>
>>47276061
Tell me a site that is faster than /bgg/ has been today.
>>
Stop me from late pledging to Arcadia Quest bros... already doing it for Xenoshyft. I also have dungeon crawling enough with Descent, but it attracts me a lot.
>>
>>47275963
I didn't donate to the kickstarter, but I did buy the game and its expansions. I like Baseball Highlights better, but that's comparing apples to oranges.
>>
>>47276222
Sell me Arcadia Quest. Make a deal to yourself that if you can't then you won't pledge it.
>>
>>47276264
I was looking into Baseball Highlights but it looked less like baseball and baseball is what I wanted. Did I make a mistake? Well, I guess not a big one since I like bot9.
>>
I've seen a few baseball games mentioned in this thread. Are there any good board games based on hockey?
>>
>>47276289
I'd still pick up Baseball Highlights if you're a baseball fan, but Bottom of the 9th definitely feels more like a real baseball game, so you made the right call.

I've been designing a baseball game myself using d20 rules. The only problem I'm having is trying to make the mechanics more than just dice chucking. If I ever get around to finishing it, I'll post it here.
>>
>>47276324
And I'll ask for a basketball one
>>
>>47276324
>>47276489
All I know of are the Strat-o-Matic games, but those are really more like simulations rather than games. All you do is roll dice and look at charts.
>>
>>47276324
Cryptozoic put out one of their standard deckbuilders with a NHL license slapped on it a couple years back, not sure if it's any good, but they seem to release a lot of the same deckbuilder that people like. I also know there was a Fastrak with NHL branding, but it's not really a good dexterity game to begin with.

>>47276489
Only thing that comes to mind is Bas-Ket, which is a ping pong ball and spring loaded levers underneath the board to try and simulate shooting. I wanna say there was some game in the last few years Vasel did a review on about drafting a team and managing them, but it didn't look all that interesting.

>>47276556
Also this, most of the sports games out there tend to be kinda awful, or dexterity simulations, though racing and baseball seem to get decent games. Also 1st & Goal if you're into football, which has almost too much luck with the dice rolls, but it really fits the theme.
>>
>>47276405
>I've been designing a baseball game myself using d20 rules
As a manager or a player? I could see it being really boring as a player if you want it to be realisitc. 2/3 of the time you're getting a strike out/fly out/ground out.
>>
>>47269140
too busy actually playing games. Speaking of
>NY1901
Taught to another group. They understood and played fine (except for the older guy who never understands how to play). Still got a comment that it was tough to wrap their heads around it.
>Robo Rally
hoo man did this take forever. Really liked it but man did we all fuck up a lot. Thankfully one dude actually played well and ended it before we all quit. Never have I before felt so stupid for confusing my right and left (not even when playing Space Alert)
>Onitama
speaking of feeling stupid. Had a really tough loss with this but the game feels amazing. Our particular set of cards was weird in that there were very few opportunities to move forward and left, which definitely constrained movement in a way that made us feel really sneaky when one of us actually pulled off an advantageous position
>>47273398
sounds similar to a munchkin/powergamer, or at least has similar tendencies. Honestly just play non-co-ops with him
>>47276222
>late pledging
just buy it retail
>>
Anyone want to play Food Chain Magnate at BGC on the hour? (1:00 EST) Not sure if enough people are here to get a game going. I wanted to check it out and see how it plays.
>>
>>47272642
My impression of Thunderstone was that it was Dominion with a fantasy make-over and worse balance.
>>
>>47277447
It's got a lot more going for it than Dominion. You fight monsters a little like in Ascension but your heroes will level up as you get XP for beating up monsters. There TONS of activated abilities allowing for fun combos and interplay between cards.

As for balance I don't know and don't care. Haven't had any situation where something felt 'broken' since everyone has access to the same cards.
>>
Just started cutting foamcore for The Manhattan Project, first ever time using the stuff. So far I like it. I think this is gonna work. In a perfect world, game designers would fit everything in the right sized box already, but this lets me be constructive. Only shame is that I didn't go for black foamcore. White foamcore vermin race.
>>
File: 1451839859214.jpg (136 KB, 679x950) Image search: [Google]
1451839859214.jpg
136 KB, 679x950
Help, please reccomend me some good board games to play alone.

I used to play Thunderstone and Elder Sign alone, but they have turn into a bit of a hassle. So something quick, uncomplicated and ready to go would be nice.
>>
>>47269140
It's usually dead because the only thing that really can be talked about is ideas for new games or recommendations for new games.

If you want to discuss a specific game it's too easy to have your question lost in all the noise - you go to the game's official forums or boardgamegeek for that.
>>
I was completely unaware of the Dark Souls board game kickstarter until now. Any opinions on it? All of those figures and expansions kind of turn me off because I already invested heavily in Kingdom Death and this looks like the same but uglier.
>>
>>47279492
Solitaire
>>
>>47279492
Friday is fairly quick and uncomplicated, but there isn't a whole lot of meat.

>>47280108
Freecell is the only good solitaire card game.
>>
>>47276767
As the manager. Before the game starts, you and your opponent draft a 15 man team. Each player is ranked from 1 to 5 $ and you cannot exceed the salary cap. If while drafting, you hit the salary cap, you have to draft generic rookie cards, which are worth no $.

Here's how the meat of the game works. The batter rolls a d20 and adds his contact (attack) modifier to the roll. If this number is lower than the pitcher's "stuff" (armor class). If the result is equal to or greater than the pitcher's "stuff," he gets a hit. If a hit is made, the batter makes a slugging roll. He rolls another d20, looks at the result, and then looks at the slugging ranges on that batter's card. Each player will have different slugging ranges. For example, a player would hit a 1B on a roll of 1-12, a 2B on 13-16, a 3B (with a speed check) on 17, and a HR on 17-20.

Pitchers also have an endurance score. If that score is 5, that means after every 5 batters faced, his stuff is reduced by one, making him easier to hit off of. They also have a K range. If the range is 1-3, the batter strikes out if he rolls a natural 1-3.

Each player would also have their own unique abilities like +1 to contact rolls per RISP, roll the slugging roll twice and choose the result if there are 2 outs, regain one stamina whenever a batter strikes out, etc.

I decided to make the game go at-bat by at-bat, instead of pitch by pitch, to make the game go by faster. It would just take WAY too long to play if you had to account for every pitch thrown.

Right now I'm toying with how to implement a hitting deck and a fielding deck to make the game more than just throwing dice.
>>
>>47280159
If this number is lower than the pitcher's "stuff" (armor class), he is out***
>>
>>47280100
worth it, I've learnt I can easily resell the kickstarter projects with profit
>>
>>47280198
If you're going to do this then the Dark Souls game is REALLY worth it, since pledging for the £80 (really the only pledge option) gets you the base game and ALL stretch goal expansions which will normally be sold seperately. Only things not included are the huge bosses which are sold individually, the Darkroot expansion, and the additional tilesets expansion.
The value is ridiculous especially if you plan on reselling, as you can easily undercut the total retail price of what you get for backing it, and make a huge profit.
>>
StarCraft. Had a fun time but couldn't concentrate so I just duked it out between one other guy while ignoring the global situation.
Here I Stand/Virgin Queen - would be hard to get another "big" game to the table
Discworld - none of my friends read Pratchett
StarCraft: TBG and the computer game Master of Magic
We mostly play vanilla except for StarCraft and I don't like the fan expansion that much.
>>
>>47246161
I just wanted to upboat "CE is shit".
>>
>>47262886
Epic Nightfall?
>>
>>47269140
I noticed that /bgg/ is most active mon-fri when the burgers are up. It's quite slow and it's slooooooow on the weekend.
>>
>>47248330
Shockingly bad. Loki strat is uninteractive and a chore to play against, and the game is deceptively simple, in a bad way.
>>
>>47280444
Mix all sets you own together, create and shuffle twelve piles - one of each colour for creatures and one of each colour for actions, there's no personal archive either

That's pretty much it, you could increase the wounds per player to about 12-15 to make it last longer
>>
>>47279492
In about a year the answer will definitely include Dark Souls.
>>
>>47280492
Interesting I might try that.

We usually play with 15 wounds per player and I was thinking of some variants:

1) Vampire - each player starts with a starting deck and 10 wounds shuffled in. Each time you damage someone he must give you a wound from his discard/deck/hand the wound goes to the discard pile. When you cannot give a wound you die.

2) Team play - 4 players sitting in ABAB order. Same as normal but you can only target the people on the opposing team.
>>
>dark souls kickstarter
>getan a few things
>a completionist-ass friend getting shit through me
>804 bongobucks deep
Ten internets to who can guess the breakdown.
>>
>>47248807
Tempted to be a hipster and back as the religious faction.
>>
>>47280529
Wait what?
>>
>>47280656
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game
Backing for the minimum is a fucking steal, you get like twenty pounds of minis.
>>
>>47280675
At some time in the far flung future you may or may not get some miniatures and nothing to do with them. Just like every other miniatures pusher "board game".
>>
>>47280866
It's a legit company, they're behind the popular and acclaimed Guildball.
>>
>>47280866
It's not just minis, it's an entire game.

By the way, does anyone know if the minis will be painted, or require painting?
>>
>>47281022
They'll require painting, fortunately.
>>
>>47280675
Bit the bullet and backed.

Still not sure if I really want the game myself but as >>47280198 and >>47280289
said, I think I could resell the game and expansions and make my money back and then some.
>>
Does anyone who is into game design here have a good read on the subject of game design? It doesn't need to be board game specific and I'm not looking for an how to guide for idiots but something on a more academical level.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I'm about to play my father in based Stalingrad. However, he has almost half a century of experience on me, and I usually get btfo except in
>Afrika Korps
Which is beginner tier stuff but I digress.

I have only ever played as the Russians. What's the best strategy or most advantageous routes to open up for ze Germans? Just hope the dice gods are on my side? What do?
>>
>>47281611
wrong pic, so unrelated. Apologies for phone posting.
>>
>>47275479
A neat FP expansion would be a forest fire map. No walls but dry brush all over the place that turns smoke on its space into fire. Burnt trees could fall and create barriers. There could be a fire-fighting helicopter or plane.
Or a firestarter element that could introduce a one vs many mechanic.
>>
>>47248156
Wow anon, ONLY the KDM core game? None of the expansions?
>>
>>47279492
Apps. Galaxy Trucker, Carcassone, Xenoshyft, and more.

All great implementations of the board games. For a month or so I'd play a round of xenoshyft over lunch or when I was on the pot. Having the game handle all the shuffling makes it super easy to deal with.
>>
>>47248807
>the various "faction" pledge levels don't actually have exclusive content, they just contribute towards seperate stretch goals and let people pick a side in a fun and flavorful way
... I really like that setup. I honestly might back just because of that alone.
>>
>>47282082
>expansions
The fucking models don't even come with rules last time I checked.
>>
>>47281526
Board game design general has a pastebin with some good reads, dunno if they have a thread up atm. Alternatively, leddit.
>>
>>47282082
Yeah, no. Heh. More like 25+ items in my CSI wishlist. While I like the KDM minis, I have enough unpainted minis to keep me painting well into the next century.
>>
File: 1462858195545.png (264 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1462858195545.png
264 KB, 500x500
>>47281413
Same, backed just the base game though. Don't really care to invest in the add-on bosses until the game comes out and proves itself worth an extra 200-300+ USD of an investment. They're each 40 on their own and with the stretch goals we're already getting four bosses. I think I can live without an unpainted Kalameet on my shelf.
At least that's what I'll tell myself when I try to sleep at night.
>>
File: pic2997867.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
pic2997867.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
It's been a busy week for me. Let's see here..

Thursday:
>Factory Funner
>Euphoria
>Big Book of Madness
>Homeland: The Game

Saturday:
>Super Motherload
>Ricochet Robots
>Exodus: Proxima Centauri (+expansion)
>7 Wonders (+Leaders and Cities expansions)
>Nations

Sunday:
>Battlestar Galactica (+3 expansions)

Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt against Caesar. Pic related. It's a capital W wargame about to be released by GMT games and the 6th game in the COIN series. I've never played a serious wargame before, but I'm keen to try them out, and god damn if I don't love Roman history. COIN games get showered with praise from people, and this one looks to be on of the simpler games in that series, so if I'm gonna jump in it might as well be now.

I'm not sure how long I can continue to be responsible.

I feel like whatever I say someone would point out that it already exists.

I've never played this variant, but some day I'd like to play Battlestar Galactica with the Two-Headed Baltar variant. Two players control Gaius Baltar, each gets to see one of his two initial loyalty cards, each gets half of his skill cards that he draws each turn, and at random one will get to move Baltar, picks the 5th skill card and makes choices during the crisis while the other picks Baltar's action. It sounds absolutely hilarious.
>>
>>47278487
The good news is, once you do a couple of inserts, you'll want to go back and redo all the old ones so they look nicer, and that's when you get the black foamcore. I use link related to find inspiration for designing new ones.
>https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/170273/cwhitpans-foam-core-inserts

>>47279492
>>47282093
Seconding going the app route if you're alone, Pandemic has a really nice one, and if you were into Elder Sign you need to get that plus the Ithaqua expansion. Splendor for challenge modes. Either that or get into one of the online board game services.
>>
>>47273343
Yep, late backer here.
>>
File: kickmywallet.png (551 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
kickmywallet.png
551 KB, 1080x1920
>>47260794
One of the best places for that info is actually reddit. They do a weekly update of new/ending soon. Pic related for some current interesting ones. Dark souls not shown.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4jfbyx/kickstarter_roundup_may_15_2016_31_ending_soon/

>>inb4 leddit
>>
>>47283611
Reddit, IMO, isn't crappy because it's Reddit. Reddit is crappy because of the users. Some subreddits are decent, like the boardgames one
>>
>>47284023
This. Reddit is fine as a source of information and a website.
Reddit is terrible because of the userbase. As long as you use Reddit and never interact with its users you should be fine. Eternally lurk.
>>
>>47284023
>>47284184
This is how you should also treat the news section of BGG and SUSD. Also the best way to watch BGB when it comes out Mon morning, enjoy news segments, skip 80-90% of the contributor content.
>>
>>47284184
s/Reddit/4chan and the sentence is equally valid
>>
>>47282136
Should probably check again then anon. EVERYTHING in the shop still in print, has rules tied to it.

And it sounds like we aren't getting any "minis only" releases for a while, with the announcement of 4 or 5 new expansions, a new (cheaper) core set, the Hero based game, and a Deckbuilder where you play as the gods of the KDM world.
>>
>>47284023
I mean, it's the same as 4chan. Stay away from the "front page" that everyone who isn't a user knows the site for (/r/funny or /b/), but if you ignore that and just go to the sub forum of users with similar interests, you get better quality (/r/boardgames or /tg/)
>>
File: PIZDETSBLYAT.jpg (2 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
PIZDETSBLYAT.jpg
2 MB, 1936x2592
>>47282652
>I've never played a serious wargame before, but I'm keen to try them out
This is my cue to be an absolute shill for GMT's Triumph&Tragedy, if a 3-player grand strategy block wargame set in Europe from 1936 to potentially 1946 sounds like it might be fun.

Take the role of Germany, the USSR, or the Allied Forces in this (relatively) short alt-history WW2 game! Quick and light cards-based international diplomacy, balanced by the need to use those same cards for ordering your units about! A plethora of technologies to be developed, balanced by the need to use those cards for developing one's industrial capacity! Various units to build or upgrade, balanced by the need to purchase aforementioned action/diplomacy cards and tech/industry cards! Win by capturing two enemy capitals or subcapitals, or win by developing the atomic bomb, or win through economic hegemony!

But yeah, T&T is seriously a fucking blast to play. Probably sold out in most places by now but a 2nd edition with a mounted mapboard, thicker counters and updated rules is in the works for later this year iirc.

>and god damn if I don't love Roman history
Then you should definately be responsible and hold off on purchasing (or P500ing rather) the 8th game in the COIN series, Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain :^)
>>
>>47284433
Speaking of GMT, I'm looking for a reasonably deep strategy game for 3-5 players (probably going to be playing 3 usually), also would prefer no dice.
I generally ignored GMT's stuff since I'm not a fan of historical stuff, but I'm willing to give it a try now. Any recommendations?
Dominant Species has caught my eye so far.
>>
>>47284819
I just want a good war game where I can be Hitler
>>
File: waifu.jpg (91 KB, 841x465) Image search: [Google]
waifu.jpg
91 KB, 841x465
>>47284284
But I would miss on muh waifu
>>
>>47284819
>Dominant Species has caught my eye so far.
That was the first that came to mind with those requirements actually, it's a great game.

Now, given those requirements, finding a suitable game may well be difficult, depending on how much you prefer no dice. I'm no GMT connoisseur, however I'd hazard that most of them will involve various degrees of dice rolling, as it's a pretty well-entrenched mechanic when it comes to wargames. I wouldn't dismiss dice completely out of hand however. I had a pretty similar view regarding them before I heard of Triumph&Tragedy, which for some reason caught my interest despite the die rolling. I took a gamble and bought it, and I can say I have absolutely no regrets. Sure, sometimes I'll be on the wrong end of a particularly bad roll, but it still doesn't detract from the game to me. If anything it adds a dimension of uncertainty when going into a battle, and I'll have to plan for stuff like how I'll proceed depending on if I win or if I lose, taking into consideration how many units I''ll have left and how quickly I can reinforce them if needed, or when I should just cut my losses and bravely run away, for example.

Anyway, all that said, the COIN series doesn't have much dice-rolling, and those rolls have more to do with unit losses or random events iirc, so I suppose that might be a good place to start looking after Dominant Species.

Possibly worth mentioning is Welcome to Centerville, which is very much a dice-rolling game and not a "deep strategy" nor historical (rahdo has a run through of Welcome to Centerville worth looking at for this), but you still DO stuff with the die results. I'm actually considering P500ing this one myself.

1/2
>>
>>47284819
>>47285839
Last but not least, some dude put together some lists of best games depending on number of players over at BGG. Obviously not all historical, and you'll have to do a bit of looking around to find what might be a good fit for your group. Here's the ones for 3, 4, and 5 players:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208756/best-3-player-games-according-algorithm (Gotta recommend Le Havre here, played it a few times with 3 and it was great)
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208757/best-4-player-games-according-algorithm
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208758/best-5-player-games-according-algorithm

2/2
>>
>>47285562
She's tolerable; Chaz and Jared are interesting, hell even Jason's ok when Tom keeps him from going full spaz. Best/Worst, Board Game Makeover, Game Plan, AFR 2 min, etc make me want to gouge my eyes out.
>>
>>47285992
Agree, Both Chaz and Jared are my favorites. I wish there was more Chaz appreciation, it hurts to see such a low view count on such good content.
>>
>>47287355
He doesn't put out enough content to be appreciated, which is likely because of how scripted/edited his segments are. His top 100 (assuming it's a decent list) might change this, but I wish he'd do 2-3 of his head in the clouds/component proponent segments instead of the metagame podcast he does. Though he's done a few component segments that were just terrible ads, and after seeing him endorse that Canopy bag I was disappointed. Feels like it's being shilled harder than the entire catalog of CMoN and FFG 2015/2016 releases combined.
>>
>>47245585
>>what have you played since last general?
Not much, I moved away from my core gaming group for college so It's been lighter stuff I've played a million times like Sushi Go, Coup, The Resistance, One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Trying to gradually get my new friends into heavier stuff that I like.

>>what game are you craving, yet responsibly holding off on purchasing?
Currently stopping myself from getting The Voyages of Marco Polo, cheapest I could find it was $55 not factoring in shipping from Canada. I am planning on getting Istanbul after finals for a game that's hopefully light enough I can play it with my new friends, but heavy enough that I can play it with my old friends as well.

Would love any input people have on Voyages of Marco Polo or Istanbul, as those are likely going to be my next two games.
>>
>>47284819
I'm also interested in Dominant Species. How is it as a 2 player game?
>>
>>47288979
I've only ever played it with 3+ players but I have the feeling that playing a standard game with only 2 players would be a bit boring. On the other hand if both player were to play 2 species each and having opposing pairs start next to each other, it might get more interesting (your lowest VP score of the two would be the deciding factor at game's end). Still, imho for a 2-player game I'd look for something else.
>>
>>47289160
>>47288979
I played it once at 2. Not ideal to say the least. You have more actions, more species and more area to play with so the game doesn't feel as tight as with more players.

Playing a variant where one player controls 2 or 3 different animals might be interesting but I think your brain would melt.

I like Dominant Species but I'd look for something else for 2 players.
>>
Any good pocket games out there now?
>>
>>47289949
I usually just play pocket pool. Does that count?
>>
>>47273398
I know someone like that: in Arkham Horror (inb4 it's shit anyways) he always wants to kill monsters and only do that. We have to pressure him to close a portal when he have enough clues tokens otherwise we would not win a single game.
In Battlestar Galactica he always wants to play a pilot, and the same Pilot every fucking time: Lee Adama.
>>
>>47280529
>a year

This project will never be on time: they did not even begin to sculpt the vast majority of the minis.
>>
File: timecube.jpg (283 KB, 1176x807) Image search: [Google]
timecube.jpg
283 KB, 1176x807
>>47283611
>https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4jfbyx/kickstarter_roundup_may_15_2016_31_ending_soon/
>Look at Protected Zone and King Flower
>That music
>It keeps going
>Feel my sanity leaving
>HARMOIC FOUR DAY CUBISM ONE DAY GOD IS WRONG
>>
>>47289949

I'm not sure what you mean, but there are any number of decent games which are compact enough to fit in a pocket. Mostly card-based filler games and social deduction games.

Codenames, Coup, The Resistance, Love Letter, Hanabi, etc
>>
>>47290068

It is mid-2016 and you're playing Arkham Horror.
The fault is yours.
>>
>>47280529
>In about a year the answer will definitely include Dark Souls.

I mean... just, no.
Nothing about the game looks good except the minis, and they're just kinda the barely acceptable minimum. That's all people are buying with their kickstarter backing. As a boardgame it is hella lackluster.
>>
So, how does the P500 work out exactly? I know they don't charge until they ship, and that if you get in early you get a sizeable discount, but when does that discount go away? Does it disappear when the game starts shipping, or when it has enough people pledged for the game to officially go on the print list? What about the Black Friday deal they normally run -- how does that work? Until what point can you decide to back out of a game?

I'm looking hard at Pendragon and I see that it is close to being accepted and I'm wondering if I should jump in now or wait, basically.
>>
>Last played
A mix of Game of Things and COH. Basically COH with elimination and writing your own white cards.

>Craving
City of Iron: Second Edition

>Mash-up
Seasons + Mystery of the Abbey
>>
>>47290464

Pretty sure you can wait.
I've never actually done a P500 order, but I keep an eye on it. Some of the games which are getting reprinted this month are still listed at their P500 price.

I'm not sure what kind of window there is on canceling. If you're unsure about whether you really want to own a GMT game, I would suggest you just take the plunge. The quality of their products is hard to convey until you own one. They are utterly professional.

Worst case scenario you don't like the gameplay, you can wait until it's been out of print for a while and sell it - probably for close to what you payed.
>>
>>47284023

actually /r/boardgames is a cesspool of SJWs and the mods are power mad nazis who ban people for disagreeing with them.

80% of the threads on /r/boardgames are from newfags who have done 0 research asking what to buy, people hating on games where they got the rules wrong, people hating on popular games because they couldn't figure out the strategy or people praising a game they think they're the only ones who have.

The other 20% of threads are people asking for comparisons between Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror and people regurgitating incorrect buzzwords like fiddly and streamlined.

At least on BGG only 20% of the threads are from total fucking morons.
>>
>>47291244
>>47285912
>>47285839
What would you say are the best GMT games?
>>
>>47291410

I hear the most glowing reviews of Sekigahara, Andean Abyss, Twilight Struggle, the Commands & Colors stuff, the rest of the COIN series, and a few others

I haven't played many of their games, but I'm pretty much ride or die with GMT.
>>
>>47290464
Once a game his the 500, they figure out everything for it including cost, put up a "charge date" where if you buy in beforehand you get like 30-40% off.
>https://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTP500Details.aspx

>>47291410
Assuming we're talking about other than Twilight Struggle? Thunder Alley is pretty damn amazing, and I loathe NASCAR, but it's good enough I forget that turn left go fast isn't a sport. The entire COIN series is pretty solid, and 1960 is a lot like TS but quite a bit more managable.
>>
>>47291705
How's Space Empire 4X? I'm looking for games that support more players.
>>
>>47291729
Haven't played it, I think STEEV has insight into it, though pretty good chance he'll tell you that you need TI3 with a tight asymmetrical map.
>>
>>47250413
Played with the app the other night and it's a lot of fun. Adds some randomness and unpredictability to Descent. Can't wait to see what FFG does with it.
>>
>>47291780
Actually haven't ever gotten around to playing SE4X, but the rest is dead on.
Eradicating tripfags through making sure they have nothing to contribute, very avant garde.
>>
>>47293062
I was actually hoping you had played it, because I've found for the most part I agree with your take on games, TI3 is just the one I can't square with, but I'm pretty sure it's just that entire genre that doesn't work for me. You were dead on about HoN over Memoir, and World of Yo-Ho is just as great and ameritrashy as you said it was.
>>
>>47293178
>World of Yo-Ho
Damn, I still need to get in a max length game of that. Figures that my phone accelerometer/gyro would die within a month of getting it. Glad you're liking HoN, it's become an addiction over here.
>>
>>47293250
I still kinda hate you a little for saying it was a "cheap" game, because the wife has started to ask how this is cheaper than the x-wing she told me I wasn't allowed to waste cash on, but yeah it's seeing semi-regular play.
>>
>>47293335
Well. . . It's cheaper per model than miniatures. Bring that up, might earn you something between a glare and a flogging with a side order of monastic celibacy.
>>
>>47288952
Anybody played these? Very likely buying Istanbul, but want to know if Marco Polo was worth it to those who bought it.
>>
>>47293669
She didn't buy it last week when I said a Hilinski crokinole board was a piece of furniture and hence quite cheap for how great quality it is. If I bring up the topic of miniatures she gets this crazy look in her eye and reminds me of how the govt taught her to kill.

>>47293748
Haven't played Marco Polo, but Istanbul is one of my favorite next step Euros. Not too much heavier than something like Splendor or TtR, but it's definitely got more meat. Biggest thing to warn any casual/non-gamers about is that if any one person is ignored, they can run a single corner of the board and win pretty handily. Definitely quite fun to discuss, and reverse engineer the victory after each game though, as there's so many paths to winning.
>>
>>47293862
>government taught wife to kill
Lucky, mine's just an exceptionally enthusiastic amateur.
>>
Anyone here got an opinion on the leader series?
>http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/3268/leader-series
I just remembered they exist and I've been wanting to give one a try.
>>
>>47294197
There's only a couple guys around here who play them, but they've always got nothing but great things to say about them. I've been putting off getting into either one of the Leader series or Warfighter for a couple years. Hopefully soon.
>>
File: 1454048753600.gif (2 MB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
1454048753600.gif
2 MB, 400x250
>>47294197
or alternatively, the COIN series.
I'm feeling the vibe from Fire in the Lake and Falling Sky looks like the shit.
>>
>>47294586
I was reading about Warfighter too. Seams neat, especially since I've been on a co-op binge lately.
>>
>>47280529
Idk man, I canceled my pledge with 1 day left because they never delivered a video or even a summarized ruleset. Just- walk into new tile, draw card, resolve fight. What they did show was pretty lackluster in my opinion.
>>
>>47283044
Thanks. I'm already nearly done with it. I'm improvising some beveling on the compartments that are too deep for easy access and learning my limitations with the foam.
>>
>>47291410
In addition to >>47291686 and >>47291705 I'd add
Churchill
Triumph&Tragedy (I WILL NEVER STOP SHILLING THIS)
Dominant Species

Those are games I've played, here's some more with great reviews that I haven't played but have interest in:

Successors (unfortunately super out of print. There was some mention of a new edition, but that was like a year ago)
Here I stand
Virgin Queen
Combat Commander series (same designer as Dominant Species btw)
Washington's War
Navajo Wars (solo game, also pretty OOP, but the coming ComancherĂ­a is supposed to be a game in the same vein)
Silent Victory (solo game)
Grand Prix (Formula 1 theme instead of NASCAR like Thunder Ally)
>>
>>47296697
>>47291410
Even though I only have 4 plays of Virgin Queen under my belt, it is well on its way to becoming my favourite game. The only thing I can criticize is that some of the rules are only intuitive in retrospect.

The way every impulse matters, combined with the low downtimes and historical verisimilitude is just great

On another note, Civ 6 has the same lead designer as Virgin Queen, so that might be interesting
>>
>>47296898
Yeah I actually own a copy of Here I Stand, but been having trouble getting it to the table. Not for lack of interest, but rather the fact that it's very seldom that those of us interested in it simultaneously have enough free time for a proper play of it...
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Bought a bunch of board games even though I've never played any except monopoly and some cards against humanity with friends

are these good
>>
>>47298902
The general consensus is that Munchkin loses its appeal after a few games, and Catan ist pretty dated. Other than that, seems good.
>>
File: Snapshot_20160110_150348.jpg (178 KB, 1920x1088) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot_20160110_150348.jpg
178 KB, 1920x1088
I'm looking for two-player card games in a box, specifically stuff on the easier side. I own games like Netrunner and a pile of old Magic cards for when I have more "hardcore" friends over, but my girlfriend isn't as into games.

I taught her the Pokemon card game, and she enjoys that, but Magic seems to be above her level. I would play Pokemon again, but I really don't want to fall back into the TCG spiral.

Any two-player games people could recommen?
>>
>>47299535
Morels is supposedly a good gf game, though it's a bit more than just cards iirc
>>
File: the wife's recs fixed.png (3 MB, 1878x1672) Image search: [Google]
the wife's recs fixed.png
3 MB, 1878x1672
>>47299535
Hopefully this revision prevents people bitching about it being condescending
>>
>>47299617
>>47299562
Thanks anons, I forgot about this chart. Saved
>>
>>47298902
No idea what the game on the left in the blue box is like, but everything else is either okay or damn good.
>>
>>47300405
It's some not-charades that I can't remember the name of, SUSD shilled it at some point last year.
>>
>>47300516
>>47300405
Says right in the box, Monikers. Basically charades with a couple twists.

>>47298902
Good gateways into the hobby, though the mileage may vary, so you may feel you're ready to move on to other games after a while.
You're gonna have some good fun, anon, let no boardgame snob tell you otherwise.
>>
>>47300652
In my defense, the box was at an angle where you can't read it that well.
>>
>>47301611
You shrink-wrapped game bringing devil, your excuses don't sway me, I know the cellophaned darkness that resides within your soul.
>>
Anybody here play Takenoko? Just discovered it online today and I thought it would be cool to play with my girlfriend. As you might expect she is not as into board games but I can get her to play a few lighter games once in a while, and she loves pandas and cute things. It looks like it's light enough with a good theme for her that she would actually enjoy it, anybody have good/bad experiences with it?
>>
>>47303008
It's not a bad game, but a lot of heavier strategy/euro enthusiasts don't enjoy it. The hidden objectives can make it feel like you have no chance to block opponents, which makes it feel almost entirely luck based at times. I enjoy it, but recognize that unlike say TtR, you might not be able to identify the goals everyone else is going for and just play my own game hoping to screw with people as a bonus instead of the objective. Tokaido has a lot of the same cozy feeling (not surprising, same designer + asian theme) but works better if you're wanting more conflict.
>>
What is the most laid back game you can think of?
>>
>>47303367
I'd say Resistance. It's just a bunch of people talking.
>>
File: pic1363812_md.jpg (43 KB, 390x500) Image search: [Google]
pic1363812_md.jpg
43 KB, 390x500
>>47303367
I once played pic related with my nephew for 30 minutes while watching college football and never once looking at the dice. It's not much of a game, but that's pretty damn laid back.
>>
>>47303117
Have you tried it with two players? Is it any better/worse than a game with 3-4 players?
>>
>>47294588
Fire in the Lake is pretty good, but it may disproportionately favor the NVA since it's really easy for them to build up in Laos and Cambodia before marching in to destroy everything unless all three other players work to slow it down, even the VC. Or it could be that my group is not great at playing the game since we don't get much chance.

The game adds some new elements to COIN that have been carried over into the later versions like player-held trump cards that cancel events as they appear, and semi-randomized event decks determined by the year in which the game starts. Earlier games had totally randomized decks so things could happen completely out of order in the conflict in weird "what-if" scenarios.

Overall I like A Distant Plain better, but Fire in the Lake is pretty good too.
>>
>>47303619
It's probably best at 3, but 2 isn't terrible. When it's just a 2s game with the wife we usually break out one that's designed for that, but Takenoko comes out every 4-6? weeks and we'll play, tho I'd say half the time it's a 4p game. All the stuff on the rec pic above has her approval, except X-Wing/Netrunner (which is monetary related) but I got her into the hobby with Jaipur, Pagoda, and co-ops. If you want best art/cute design, Takenoko might be it; but Tokaido, Jaipur, Morels, and Pinata all have nice graphics are are a bit cutesy.
>>
>>47303718
Sounds sick. I've been doing research and have heard nothing but good things, although GMT's marketing seems a bit screwy. I didn't even hear about Pendragon until I went digging for it, and I think I'll wait for it to get released to pick it up as my first in the series. Fallen Sky looks good too as far as theme, and I also have my eye on Awakening the Bear if Academy Games wuld just fucking print it again. May have to drive out to the FLGS and see what they've got.
>>
>>47305126
>GMT
>marketing
Yeah you gotta pick one there; might see them listed occasionally on the BGG news feed, but otherwise you have to visit their site regularly to know anything about what's going on, or hope a reviewer covers something new of theirs.

They stopped going to Origens/Gencon and I'm not sure they go to GAMA to talk to retailers either. If you're not at one of the 3-4 small regional cons they sponsor, or the one that takes place in their warehouse, you're better be checking their Facebook feed. I guess the fact they only do wargames though means they're not as interested in growth.
>>
>>47305430
It's actually their dedication to wargaming that makes me interested; the closest I've ever got in X-Wing or strategy games such as TI that implement it to some degree. But I've loved everything I've played by Academy so I want to branch out, starting with something I can play both solitaire as well as with friends without being too complex. I know a store near here has a bunch of Command & Colors stuff so I figure they've got to have a couple other things there too.
>>
>Level 7 [Omega Protocol]
Sell it to me. I see this game praised a lot around here. so what's good about it compared to other dungeon crawls?
>>
>>47306993

So in the game the actions for the overseer and marine players both use up and generate adrenaline.

Every action the marines players take generates adrenaline. Every adrenaline you generate will go towards the overseer on their phase. The more stuff you do the more adrenaline the overseer has for activating various abilities on his board. The less you do the slower you go for trying to achieve objectives but the overseer always generates a fixed minimum amount if there isn't enough adrenaline to receive from marine players(so you can't just durdle around.)

Each marine has a specialist role but also various "stance" cards they can play which can affect how much adrenaline they can generate for the turn, how many spaces they can move, defence against melee and ranged attacks and any special abilities they can confer to themselves or someone else.
>>
File: twilight-squabble.png (668 KB, 834x726) Image search: [Google]
twilight-squabble.png
668 KB, 834x726
>>47306993
It isn't a 'race game' - the GM can be a dick to the players by totally concentrating on one character at a time, but generally it plays more like an action game. The player characters have to work as a team, cover one another, help downed players, etc.

Also - I walked into the FLGS and burst out laughing when I noticed pic related.
>>
File: IMG_20160517_215140.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160517_215140.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
Just got these any today. Has anyone else picked up any fun games recently?
>>
>>47310136
>LotR LCG
Gonna be a good time there. Be sure to invest in some expansions for maximum fun.

I tried my hand at hunting down a COIN game at my FLGS; no luck. May just have to suck it up and wait for a reprint or something. :(
>>
>>47277867
Just curious, do you play normal thunderstone or the epic variant? I've only ever played epic with friends, as I was told by a decent number of people that that was the best way to play. I've played the normal version solo and wasn't as into it, but that could just have been cause it was a solo runthrough.

Frankly I love the game and would kill to have your collection. I've got a decent amount myself, the base advanced set, 2 of the advanced expansions, and then 3 older version expansions, but I'm always craving more. The ridiculous prices I see around are what put me off.

Either way, congrats anon.
>>
>>47284819
3-5 players? Almost anything from COIN series will do, but I recommend Cuba Libre. It's a great entry game into COIN series, but by no means simple.

There's also Here I Stand - from 2 to 6 players. I haven't played it, but it's often recommended and praised in wargame community.
>>
>>47312655
I've only played normal Thunderstone, and I've enjoyed it greatly.

I have a few qualms about doing epic Thunderstone though.

First is simply I like things neat and organized. Having 90% of the box in giant generic stacks of 'weapons' 'items' and such is a little unappealing to me. Plus that's a hefty time investment to re-sort afterwards if I don't like it. But that's not too big of a deal as I like sorting.

Secondly the sleeves are glossy which means you can only stack them so high without them sliding fucking everywhere, doubly so if the table get's bumped. So you could only set out stacks oh so high. Plus player decks can get unwieldy. Just 8 cards in a stack of items means no slide.

Third, going with the epic setup adds in the element of Star Realms and Ascension that I absolutely abhor. What I mean is the fact that you can't plan around any real strategy or combos. You just buy what's there and hope to god you can make it work. This isn't so bad if you're working with just a single box set, but when you have EVERY CARD you'll realistically never see two flaming swords, or two of the same hero. So creating synergy becomes almost completely luck based instead of a little luck with mostly planning.

So I'm considering doing thunderstone with just one of the core boxes to try it out and not mince EVERYTHING together.
>>
>>47313245
>So I'm considering doing thunderstone with just one of the core boxes to try it out and not mince EVERYTHING together.
Meant trying epic with just one boxsets worth.
>>
>>47313245
I understand your points, I can see where the sorting and a lack of synergy can come into play. If you're ever interested in trying it out though, I would suggest going through your cards personally and picking and choosing what would work well. All of the cards I have are in their own decks like you described, a weapons stack, and items stack, etc. but in an expansion box I have a whole bunch of unused cards that I just don't really think work well in the format (or just aren't really fun cards to begin with). I also increase the number of stacks past what the official variant rules suggest. In general, I have I wanna say 5 hero stacks, which are separated by hero type (fighter, cleric, wizard, ranger, and thief) and then for the other stacks, I keep 3 of each type, so 3 item stacks, 3 weapon stacks, etc. That ensures a decent amount of variability while still allowing for options. We also play by the rule that when going to the village, you're allowed to push all copies of one card from any stack to the bottom of the stacks they're on as a sort of free action, before or after you buy, which helps sort through useless cards. Generally we always push something down even if it has nothing to do with what stack we're looking at, just to move some cards around.

Anyway, I do suggest giving it a try one of these days, as I've certainly had a lot of fun with it so I do recommend it. On the other hand though, are there any specific setups you could recommend that you've had a lot of fun with in terms of regular thunderstone? I know there are the randomizer cards, but I feel like a preset custom setup would probably be better a lot of the time.
>>
File: HiS_in_20_minutes.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
HiS_in_20_minutes.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47312759
>Here I Stand
Worth mention is this PDF which should help in teaching/learning the game. Obviously one or two people should read the full rules, but this little thing makes life easier.
>>
>>47307375
>read the rules
What a shitty game. "Who wants to play the cold war for ages? Not you! Here, have a tug of war game that grabs semblances of twilight struggle with none of the fun"
>>
Random question: I'll be going on a trip with 3 friends for a couple of days and I'm looking for some game(s):

1. Plays best upto 4 people but scales from 2
2. Doesn't have moving elements so that shit can get lost, we'll be probably be plaing while having a picnic or camping etc.
3. Physically not big
4. Is actually fun so I'm not only buing shit for the trip but will actually want to play that when we're back

Proposals with that vary depending on the gameplay time would be nie. I already have Welcome to the Dungeon which satisfies all points and takes about 20-30 minutes to play.
>>
>>47316905
Ultra light: Love Letter
Light: Super Motherload
Medium: Tiny Epic Galaxies
Heavy: Pax Pamir / Pax Porfiriana

All of those have smaller than average form factors, work great with 2, 3 and 4, and are great games. I've played all of them and can definitely recommend each.
>>
>>47317076
Thanks man, will check those out.
>>
>>47316905
Boss Monster fits all those criteria, except it's 100% cards, so stuff might blow around.
>>
>>47318663
That and the fact that it's a terrible game which is heavily imbalanced.
>>
>>47319259
Hey, I like it. What's imbalanced? Certainly not the boss abilities...
>>
>>47319425
The winner is the person with the most spells. Happens every time. And getting spells is basically impossible unless you happen to draw the right rooms.
>>
File: co-related games2.png (6 MB, 1040x3642) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2.png
6 MB, 1040x3642
I need to update this.
>>
>>47316905
Archaeology: The New Expedition
Bohnanza
Hanabi (a few small tokens you can keep in the box lids)
Paperback (extremely hard to find but worth it if you do)
San Juan (box is big but game is small)
Smash Up
Splendor (same as San Juan)
Sushi Go!
>>47317076
wew lad the only one of these that actually makes sense for his criteria is Love Letter. The rest of those have lots of moving stuff around that will get lost, and in the case of the Pax games, is literally impossible to get played. Not that they're bad, I own and like them both, just that those games require players to plan around them, which he clearly doesn't want to do
>>
File: pic3014025.png (477 KB, 900x920) Image search: [Google]
pic3014025.png
477 KB, 900x920
>>47310136
Wanted to get CV for a while but at the time it was really hard to find in the US. I should look back into it because Yahtzee + Game of Life is a really appealing combo for my casual friends/family

Ordered Bohnanza and Tales of the Arabian Nights for those casual drinking nights. And a game called The King Is Dead because I don't have a "El Grande"/"Tammany Hall"-style area control yet.

Also got the new Dominion expansion because I have no shame. I'm legitimately hyped though. Landmarks on their own look like a worthwhile buy, and everything else previewed looks great too
>>47307375
Try 13 Days instead, looks like a much better TS-lite
>>
Have you tried Renju?
I've never played it.
It's a connect-five game with special opening rules to remove black's first-move advantage. It's a variant of Gomoku.
>>
>>47322575
Let us know what you think of Bohnanaza, it's been on my list for a while
>>
>>47321343
Why do you always post only this pic?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.