[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you ever use your character's powers or incredible intelligence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 16
File: 1370578871389.png (316 KB, 824x1200) Image search: [Google]
1370578871389.png
316 KB, 824x1200
Do you ever use your character's powers or incredible intelligence for mundane purposes, like just making themselves more comfortable?
>>
I once played an elderly wizard who put up a permanent wall of force to keep kids off his lawn.
>>
>>47309506
I once played as a Psion who used her powers for literally everything. She was a Nomad, and she teleported everywhere. If she was looking out the window and wanted to be outside, she'd port rather than walk around to the door. She used crystal light to see, mending to fix things she broke, used ectoplastic trinket for little things, energy splash to warm her drinks, the works.

She used Metamorphosis for fun, turning into animals, shrinking herself, growing huge for the hell of it, etc. She wore a robe of Endure Elements, and generally had a very high quality of life for her medieval setting, entirely because she indulged her magical powers.
>>
>>47309826
>laughed harder than I had any right to
>>
>>47309506
I play a Solar, of course I do.
>>
>>47309506
Of course, why wouldn't you? While most systems don't necessarily encourage it, they don't really introduce many reasons not to.

I mean I suppose I might refrain from using my powers for roleplaying reasons, like a paladin not using power from his god to clean a toilet or something.
>>
>>47310168

Solar powers are so fun to abuse for petty reasons.

I played a thief with all of the cool stealing based powers, and for fun he'd sneak into strongholds and castles just to steal something small as a keepsake.

Even saved a man's life by stealing the poison out of him.
>>
>>47309506
One of my characters does this a lot. With both shapeshifting abilities and detachable limbs, she's come up with some rather silly things to do. One of the more fun ones was, when wanting to play volleyball and having neither ball nor net, morphing a new ball like-head and taking it off, then detaching a leg to unfurl into a fleshy net.
>>
>>47311951

>the good thief
>steals weapons from the hands of street thugs
>steals disease from the sick
>steals the malice from evil men's hearts
>steals heavy burdens that weigh on good men's souls
>steals doubt from the men of good faith
>steals faith from men of evil gods
>>
>>47309506
Yes, but not incredibly often. A recent example was a time where the inn our party was staying at was a trap that locked the guests in their rooms and ko'd them with sleep gas, dropping zombies in on them if they made some headway in escaping. The group was split as there weren't any rooms that housed eight, so while one room had the wizard that could just teleport out of the room and another had the rogue to disable the traps, I the ranger am stuck with the barbarian and bard with the convenient elven immunity to being put to sleep. So I suggest that we wait, because no one's going to set up a trap like this without collecting. The barbarian doesn't care and breaks one of the bars, proccing the zombies, which were handled easily (lvl 10 party). Barb then goes right back to swinging, breaking her damn hand. So after the bard uses some heals to fix her up, I use a super-accurate Plane Shift to move the three of us ten feet and out of the room.

Another instance was using a 1/day Polymorph to turn into a dragon babby for the sole purpose of rolling around in a big coin pile. Also using said Poly's on turning into a wolf just to track party members in the base via scent, because memorizing them will surely be useful eventually. And Alter Self's to be a hot chick, because who why not?
>>
>>47312784
>different thief breaks into good thief's stash
>bam, instant BBEG
>>
File: iSEg9e4.jpg (58 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
iSEg9e4.jpg
58 KB, 1024x768
>>47309506

It's hard to feel comfy without feeling safe, heck it's like half the job here.
>>
>>47309506
Considering the fact that I tend to find myself ignoring actually useful ways to spend EXP in exchange for taking more Simple Powers whenever I play Double Cross, yes, yes my characters do.
>>
All the time.
My mage levitates everywhere, fanned and pulled along by his invisible servants, uses cantrips to stay clean and smell good, oh and chill his drinks.
Went hunting once. Magic Missile is far better than a sling at keeping the meat good and again, more magic to cook the food and season it.
Also, when the mage feels like being a NEET, there is rope trick. Leave me alone, I'm getting stoned in my magical apartment.
>>
>>47309506
Playing a Paladin who's pretty much the last of her Order. She's been collecting all her Orders old artefacts for any kind of possible edge.
She's now got the largest collection of breadboxes that always have fresh, toasty bread inside, Medallions to protect against sunburn, ever-comfy cushions, wineskins of famous vintages, and more.
This is part because the DM doesn't want to give me great gear perpetually but there isn't any real reason that the Order's long histtory would have been erased.
So instead they were big on the enchanting scene and would often make these mundane things to help make life comfy for the lower classes.

The party has since began to give away the stockpile to the poor, selling the occasional one themselves for more funds.
>>
Biggest one I can think of right now is that I've got a witch with the prehensile hair hex. He abuses it way more often than he actually uses it for combat.

Hair is constantly fabulous and changes whenever his mood does. He's literally had his hair braiding itself while speaking to nobility. Also, if for whatever reason he doesn't have his cloths with him he's been known to have it weave itself into bayonetta style cloths.
>>
>>47313228
Prestidigitation is one of my favorite spells period. It really is how one just makes life so much better by being a wizard. If spells were commercial products the guy who invented it would be fucking RICH.

>Imagine if all the chicken you ate tasted like dark meat fried chicken but was really just lean white meat that was good for you. Well it can with Prestidigitation!
>Maybe you're bored and want to play chess. Crude and artificial looking pieces play just fine so make some with Prestidigitation!
>Someone spilled a drink on themselves at a party? Thank the gods there's a wizard here to save the day with Prestidigitation!
>Taking a romantic carriage ride on a night that's maybe a little cold for it? The carriage now has heated seats because you learned Prestidigitation!

>Prestidigitation: other spells basically need to get their shit together.
>>
Played a Sorceress used cantrips all the time to make her life comfortable.
However this was years ago now and I can't remember any specifics.
>>
>>47309826
aces.

I currently have a Shadowrun shaman and I bought the Detox spell just so he could drink heavily or smoke deepweed whenever he wants and then magically sober up.
>>
File: High wisdom low intellegence.png (222 KB, 820x1200) Image search: [Google]
High wisdom low intellegence.png
222 KB, 820x1200
>>47309506
>>
>>47312912
>>steals disease from the sick
>>steals heavy burdens that weigh on good men's souls
>>steals doubt from the men of good faith'

he isn't going to get far
>>
Well, I have a countdown-themed Tinker in Weaver Dice who uses his perfect sense of timing to get to places (and hand shit in) on time

He...really didn't do that pre trigger
>>
>>47309506

VTM. Using Dominate and Presence to get free stuff, win petty arguments and troll late night radio shows.
>>
>>47309506
sauce?
>>
>>47315707
That's one of the key parts of the game, too.
The Player's Guide gives advice on exactly how to use Disciplines for roleplaying, and remarks that people are going to use their "superpowers" for wish-fulfillment and power tripping a lot faster and a lot more than they're going to go out and fight some vampire evildoer with them.
Disciplines are tempting, because they allow people the opportunity to indulge themselves, and every single Discipline addresses a power fantasy or a wish-fulfillment target - a skinny new-money brat with Fortitude can smile all the way through a beating by his bullies and then get the leader to piss his pants in fear with Presence 2. A political extremist who's been stewing in his own juices because he's afraid of the police and the people he hates can pop out of the sewers and strangle one of them to death with Potence, then disappear from the police with Obfuscate. Even the small things are possible - the class' old nerdling just needs a combination of Auspex and Dominate to get his high school's prom queen in bed with him, and he might even be able to make sure she doesn't remember it.
V: tM is mainly about the temptation of power and the evil in humanity, and Disciplines are perfect tools because they allow you to explore what completely normal people would do if they had superpowers, even if they had to drink blood to use them.
>>
File: Kyou no Asuka Show.gif (2 MB, 380x216) Image search: [Google]
Kyou no Asuka Show.gif
2 MB, 380x216
>>47315738
>>
>>47315607
>steals the box from good thief.
>gifts it to someone.
>watches as the person dies of an horrific combination of diseases / commits suicide because of psychological issues, and spends an eternity in hell due to an heart full of malice.
Top tier assassination.
>>
>>47315980
I can't argue with that
>>
>>47314898
what's going on here
>>
>>47318509
She's trying to puzzle out when it is and isn't socially acceptable to wear a swimsuit. The plan was to walk home during a monsoon in the swimsuit. Since it was raining so hard she was technically 'in the water' and so no one would be upset with her, but the rain stopped when she was still walking and she panicked (and probably doesn't understand how dangerous high water is).

Wish I could find sauce, but I've only been able to find up to that where her teacher keeps her from jumping into the rushing water.
>>
>>47318733
Why does she want to wear a swimsuit all the time?
I mean, that's kinda hot, but still
>>
>>47318733
it's called "Kyou no Asuka Show"
>>
File: 7.jpg (142 KB, 780x1137) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
142 KB, 780x1137
>>47318810
She is just curious
>>
>>47309506
DoW: Vampire - using Arms of Ahriman for makeshift armchairs
>>
I played a copper dragonborn sorcerer who to bathe would use magic to dig out a big pit, fill it partially with water and use his acid breath for the rest. I figure the only way he'd really feel clean is if he scrubbed the shit out of his scales with magically caustic chemicals.
>>
>>47314693
Excellence, Pure.
>>
My Mage got really poor at one point and in order to keep having clean clothes while out travelling, he would just flash fabricate a set of clothes at the start of the day and reap the mana used to cast back from them at the end of the day, disintegrating the garment.

By and large he was pretty vehemently against using magic to solve mundane problems, but was also pretty vehemently against solving mundane problems at all so....
>>
>>47312576
Super gross!
What the hell system are you playing.
>>
>>47312814
Someone built a tavern, with mechanical autolocking doors, and raised an attic full of zombies, coralled them onto trap doors, and used some sort of sensory mechanism to look in on guests, and determine when to drop zombies on them, and would then come up to the room, dispatch the zombies, prompting the raising of replacement zombies, just to rob weary poor travellers? How on earth does one make money back on that investment?
>>
I used my character's immense wealth to go on a vacation to Panama and come back with hats for the rest of the party as souvenirs.

I couldn't make the first half of the session that day so I told the GM that was how I would justify my absence.

The party had some hideous fucking battle that hospitalised everyone while I was away, so I come back and give everyone a pat on the back and a free hat.
>>
>>47309950
And this did not bite her in the ass because she was short when she needed the energy for something important at any point? Because it seems like if you expended that much energy on quality of life you'd not have enough when it counted.
>>
>>47319021
How does his acid breath get used? Is it like, a squirt gun, instead of actual breath?
>>
Giantess, she made spare money by giving rides to the kiddies on town holidays.
>>
>>47315607
You also have the "Really not so bad/Gentlemanly Thief" like Lupin III. This mostly comes up with damsels in distress, although he will go to the wall for it and beyond.

The other sort of "not so bad stealer of to be wed or recently wed women who do not want to be" would be the Dread Pirate Roberts type.

Although I don't think anyone really thinks of Lupin as being particularly bad, merely incorrigibly inclined to cheeky, high profile theft. His thefts of major treasures are delightful shenanigans. (I mean, you can't even sell something like Christ the Redeemer. That was purely for fun.)
>>
>>47319107
I suppose that all depends on where and how you need it. If the only real danger you ever face is your twice yearly dungeon dive, then no worries. If you live in a harsh bandit strewn wasteland, run by a dragon and his kobold thieves guild, then,
>>
My dragonborn would use his ice breath to make snow for local children to play in.

In a higher powered campaign, my character got a hold of a ring of telekinesis. Never used his hands outside combat again.
>>
File: Kyou_76c78b_5518835.jpg (116 KB, 780x1137) Image search: [Google]
Kyou_76c78b_5518835.jpg
116 KB, 780x1137
>>47318810
Random curiosity. She saw a news report of some guy getting in trouble for photographing women at the beach and couldn't understand why people were upset at him when they were the ones walking around in bikinis.
>>
>>47319162
Acid breath produces acid. He just uses his breath weapon on the water to heavily dilute the acid he spits out and then uses it to scrub the grime off.
>>
File: PDVD_011.jpg (42 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
PDVD_011.jpg
42 KB, 480x320
>>47312784
>All that glitters...
>Even the star
>All thing precious...
>Even your life
>The King of Bandits can steal it all in the blink of an eye.
>>
>>47313477
>Prestidigitation
What spell is that? Do you mean Least Wish?
>>
>>47319107
Not every caster needs to be 40k pykers anon.
>>
>>47319311
Is this just 48 chapters of vaguely lewd stuff happening to and with a schoolgirl with no point whatsoever?
>>
File: DISGUST.gif (3 MB, 675x380) Image search: [Google]
DISGUST.gif
3 MB, 675x380
>>47315901

Ah, so a french style Comedíe d'Pedophilo?
>>
File: 1421716703745.jpg (28 KB, 329x244) Image search: [Google]
1421716703745.jpg
28 KB, 329x244
>>47320210
>with no point whatsoever
>>
>>47320515
So what the fuck is the point then?
>>
>>47320555

...exploring what happens when casual thoughts go too far?
>>
>>47320360
A what now?
>>
File: 11.jpg (180 KB, 780x1137) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
180 KB, 780x1137
>>47320555
Having fun?
>>
>>47313477
Not to mention the best toilet paper around.
>>
>>47320938

Wouldn't her bag and everything in it get soaked though?
>>
>>47318733
It's from the chapter 4 of the manga Kyou no Asuka show, .
>>
>>47318733
>Rain stopping during a monsoon in the timespan of you going out

Fucking stupid.
>>
>>47309506
Of a sort. She uses her skills as a negotiator to eke out petty comforts, like convincing a party member he should carry her backpack as strength training.
>>
>>47320086
Psions use power points, like mana
>>
>>47319107
Because Nomad Step is an at-will short range teleport [like, 30 feet at the level I was at], and everything else I mentioned besides Metamorphosis was a cantrip.
>>
>>47320555
Well what's the point of anything?
>>
>>47309506
Played an extremely lazy, hedonistic Sorcerer/TomeLock whose trick to getting by without lifting a finger was usually liberal application of Unseen Servant, Prestidigitation, and Tenser's Floating Disc.
>CN Rogue decides not to help people offload a cargo ship, and instead started building a sand castle.
>"Unseen servant, build a superior castle, whilst I sun myself and eat these hallucinogenic mushroooms."

>"Ugh, !British food is so bland."
>Prestidigitation

>"Yes, I'm aware that 400 lbs of opium will kill me. I don't plan to do it ALL at once. No no, I'll handle the transportation of it."
>Floating Disc, then lead it through the slums, with a sign saying "Free" on it.
>>
File: 31939851_p1.jpg (232 KB, 673x1200) Image search: [Google]
31939851_p1.jpg
232 KB, 673x1200
>>47319064
Nechronica. A lovely system of undead and body horror, where things can happily live at the border between adorable and abominable. It really is great fun.
>>
File: 1457995197057.png (428 KB, 1024x1327) Image search: [Google]
1457995197057.png
428 KB, 1024x1327
>>47309506
>>
>>47323244
I quote Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation: "Maybe all gaming is pointless, just toying with the gravel on the side of the road of life-but hey, least there's violence and tits."
>>
>>47309826
>You'll never play a game where the party is a group of kids trying to get into the dirty old wizard's lawn
>>
>>47309506

Once played a psychic with Purple Man style mind control powers (this was well I'd ever heard of the Purple Man).

Used it to become assistant manager at a video rental store.
>>
>>47325347
I chucked my arm at a savant that was fleeing once. I needed to trip them so i could interrogate them. I succeeded and the Alice panicked, because I just tore my arm off to trip someone. Nechronica makes quite the comedy when everyone is on the same page.
>>
>>47314693
>Hanging out in favourite drug den
>Get call from team, got a job of some kind
>detail are kind of fuzzy, can be cleared up later

>Welp, time to sober up with a good'ol detox spell
>Fuck I'm wasted
>Just gotta cast the spell
>Pretty sure that shit is cast but I'm not feeling any soberer
>Fuck maybe this is sober

>oh wait, no just cast it on the wrong dude, fuck he looks mad
>Sorry man

>Here we go again, Detox!
>oh nope, wrong dude again
>DETOX
>no
>nope
>wrong again
>fuck
>shit
>sorry bro
>MOTHERFUCKING DETOX
>There we go 3rd or 4th or 15th times the charm!
>Now to deal with a the room full of clear-headed, rage filled drug addicts
>>
>>47321049
Those bags are largely waterproof.
It's a solid leather outer that closes rather securely.
It's made like that so they last for years, even decades with minimal care.
There is different models between elementary, middle and senior school but unless the school has a strict policy on which bag you can use, it's not out of the ordinary for students to use their junior one all the way through.
It does make you look childish though. Likely why she's using an elementary bag.
>>
>>47309506
>play a gravity controller

Yeah, I usually use my powers to carry my luggage easier, pick up things I dropped from the ground and stuff like that. At least when no normal humans are around, since I have to keep my powers secret for now.
>>
Most likely everyday
>>
>>47309506
I love that Doublecross has a whole category of powers for this. One let's you levitate, and makes sure to explain how it is totally useless for combat, but it means you don't have to walk around like some kind of pleb.
>>
No, because my character is the sort to see enemies in every shadow, and doesn't want to actually throw any magic around for fear of showing the imagined "threats" what spells he's capable of and thereby giving them opportunity to prepare a response to them.
>>
File: typhoon swimsuit.png (642 KB, 824x1200) Image search: [Google]
typhoon swimsuit.png
642 KB, 824x1200
>>47309506
This girl is such a fucking BOSS I was compelled to make this shoop. Hope you guys don't mind me not adding anything to the topic...
>>
>>47333957
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>47309506
Of course.
>Learning magic just for combat
what a tool.
>>
File: you're making me nervous.jpg (162 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
you're making me nervous.jpg
162 KB, 960x960
>>47333957
>>
File: Angel and apple.jpg (137 KB, 850x713) Image search: [Google]
Angel and apple.jpg
137 KB, 850x713
Paladin with Oath of Vengeance.
She's summoned her mighty wings of evil killing just to get around easier and often uses her minor powers often for rather mundane uses.
Her Goddess has pretty much said for her to go nuts as long as she never puts herself before her cause or the tenets she swore to uphold.
>>
I play warhammer fantasy, so no, my wizard doesn't even use his powers in combat if he doesn't need to. picture only partially related, Markus is a magister of the grey kind
>>
>>47313190
...there's other ways of playing Double Cross?
>>
>>47336099
Well, there's those people that for some reason actually make good use of their EXP for some reason. I don't really understand why, but they exist.
>>
>>47337540
But simple powers ARE a good use of XP! There's just so much you can do with them, and they're so cheap! Just because you can't deal damage with them doesn't mean they aren't useful as all hell.
>>
>>47334307
You don't actually belong to 4chan, do you?
>>
>>47328764
>Fuck maybe this is sober
Perfect.
>>
I play a nerdy teenager that managed to obtain the powers of Superman. He was most recently found using this to school an entire team of inner city kids at basketball.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.