[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about the fact GW are actually making (some)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: value.png (141 KB, 1502x743) Image search: [Google]
value.png
141 KB, 1502x743
How do you feel about the fact GW are actually making (some) nicely priced sets now?
>>
>>47277021

Standard 1500 points games are still prohibitively expensive for many, but the starters at least provide a more significant cost-savings.

Were this a game where a vehicle, HQ choice, and single squad of Troops composed a good amount of your forces and forces that could compete fairly against each other, this would be much more significant. However, the tabletop is now infested with unbalanced monstrosities and terrible rules. Cost savings aside you're still buying into a much greater expense of a hobby.
>>
>>47277021
This is definitely them taking steps to mend their reputation, and I recognize that. They still have a long way to go, though. Death to the tyrant Kirby, long live the new CEO
>>
>>47278302

An insider investor has noted that Roundtree seems more interested in his retirement than Games Workshop, but even that is an improvement. While Kirby is still on as a kind of an honorary member and thus is allowed to show up and throw some weight around in meetings, he also likes to travel around whenever, and Roundtree conveniently schedules the higherup staff meetings on days when Kirby isn't going to be there.

All in all, seems like they're going in a progressive direction as opposed to the regressive thought that brought us to present day GW. Even if Roundtree isn't the best CEO, or even the most passionate about GW, he's not up his own ass, and that seems to be improvement enough.

Personally, I'm out for the most party. I occasionally dip into LotR minis from GW when I can't find what I want from eBay, but otherwise I'm not planning any future 40k or Fantasy/AoS purchases, and am looking to ditch a good amount of what 40k I have.
>>
>>47277021
It's a step in the right direction, but they'll see no more of my money until they improve 40k and AoS's base rules and start working to balance the various factions therein each.
>>
>>47278437

News from the inside seems to suggest that the design team is trying to figure out Orks, seeing as how their last release and Codex was such a massive flop, showing that balance actually does matter.

AoS is getting a point system at the very least, as well as updates to the base rules, though it probably won't change much from what they have now. It's a project already way too far into release to scrap now, so GW is trying to make the best of it, Kirby's final, bitter curse.
>>
>>47278472
>trying to figure out Orks,
Well they have one more chance to do it. Ghaz was just a supplement, the standard ork codex hasnt been updated to 7th yet
>>
>>47278563

And what a supplement it was, with rules that don't even work as seemingly intended, being absolutely useless.

AoS Orcs, or Orruks or something, apparently sold pretty well, but we have not much way of confirmation on that, so like every bit of news about GW, taken with a heaping spoon of salt.
>>
>>47277021
>2016
>GW
>good model
>>
File: Grasp.jpg (72 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Grasp.jpg
72 KB, 250x250
>>47277021
>nicely priced sets
>value

Yeah, nah. Value is something determined at street level - and it's NEVER RRP.

GW priced themselves out of the market because their target demo has too many other priorities today to consider collecting ridiculously costly unassembled, unpainted toy soldiers.

Protip: Kits that would be overpriced if discounted 50% aren't "deals" just because GW can set RRP as high as they want. Look at that first item -

In principle, GW wants people to believe that 3 of their plastic cav and 11 plastic infantry are "worth" 68 pounds. They're not. They're just "priced" at 68 pounds, but with the magic of incipient insolvency, they've priced a set worth 20 at 50, and BAM - Here come the faithful singing Hosannahs.

Yes, it's better than Kirby's zero percent discounts, but it's far too little and far too late.
>>
>>47277119
>vehicle, HQ choice, and single squad of Troops

good thing Age of Sigmar exists and if you replace Vehicle with some form of large creature or warmachine you have a legitimate starter army.
>>
>>47279702
I'm guessing that's why it doesn't say value. It says "Value" in cursive. We all know they're not the same. Actual value cannot be priced by anyone, since it would be subjective.
>>
How do I feel?

I live in Australia.
>>
Not buying anything new till they fix the base games.

40k armies are homogenised shite now and I don't want to touch AoS. The only thing GW had going for it were generally good models and CUH-Rayzee rules that fit the fluff.

They don't really have either of those now. I don't actually care about balance honestly because I play GW games for fun. If I want competitive games I play Warmahordes. The ruleset of 40k is bland as fuck right now.

Saying that, the expense doesn't really make me want to come back to it either. I've occasionally wanted to buy some of the new Tyranid things but then I remember how much it costs and ordered Malifaux stuff instead.
>>
>>47279702
>but it's far too little and far too late.
nah, it's just in time, now everyone will remember GW as best company in tabletop indusrty.
>>
>>47278563
>the standard ork codex hasnt been updated to 7th yet
It was the first 7th edition codex you dingus
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.