[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Often times, in Monster Manuals and Bestiaries, I'll be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 82150.jpg (146 KB, 400x477) Image search: [Google]
82150.jpg
146 KB, 400x477
Often times, in Monster Manuals and Bestiaries, I'll be reading a description of a Monster, and I'll come across this line:

"This Monster preffers intelligent prey to animals."

Why exactly is that? What quality do intelligent creatures have to animals, as far as consumption goes? Is this just a hook to use the animal as an enemy in a quest? Also, in real life, when you hear about a person getting eaten by a wild animal, they always say something like, "They have tasted human blood, so now we have to kill them". I always thought this was just a turn of phrase, meaning the animal has to be killed for the purpose of justice and revenge. But, do animals actually gain a preference towards certain prey?

Pic unrelated, I think.
>>
>>47274847
I'm pretty sure intelligent prey have tastier brains.
>>
>>47274847
In monster manuals i guess its just a hook to use it against players

In real life as far as know. By tasting human flesh/blood an animal learns that a human is edible and tasty. Therefore it can be hunted/attacked just like any other prey. So the next time it is hungry and sees a human it will try to eat it. I guess thats why they kill it. Because you cant make them forget the taste of human. You might be able to suppress their instinct but not totally get rid of it so the chance of that animal attacking you or anyone else is still there
>>
>>47274882
Well, I was thinking about that too. Would human flesh have less of a "Gamey" flavor?
>>
>>47274847
>"They have tasted human blood, so now we have to kill them". I always thought this was just a turn of phrase, meaning the animal has to be killed for the purpose of justice and revenge. But, do animals actually gain a preference towards certain prey?

Yes, animals can learn that Humans are a suitable prey and incorporate them into their diet. Normally it is done by wounded animals that can't hunt properly, but sometimes it is just an animal that develops a taste for human meat and learns they can get away with it.

In these situations, you need to kill the animal before it keeps killing, or worse teaches their offspring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsavo_maneaters
>>
>>47274847
Also, this raises another question.

A lot of Monsters that are naturally aligned to the "evil" alignment, often enjoy torturing their victims. That's certainly understandable. Like, a hag might enjoy torturing her victim before she eats them, or whatever.

But cats sometimes will play with mice that they've caught. What drives this instinct?

I guess, what I'm trying to ask in all of these questions is, how can I make less intelligent Monsters more realistic? And how can I use them in interesting ways?
>>
>>47274943
>or worse teaches their offspring.
I didn't even think about that.

Wow! Yeah, I can see it being incredibly important in a fantasy world where humans aren't the top of the foodchain, then. Not only do you have wolves that learn to hunt humans, but you have giant trolls and such that teach their young the best methods of hunting and torturing their prey.
>>
>>47274987
As for the cat part, it's just being playful, and doesn't have the capability to comprehend the mouse is another being that can feel pain and fear.
>>
>>47274987
Cats play with their food for a number of reasons. One, to make sure its dead and not going to bite them anymore. Two, they just spent several minuts to an hour with their adrinalin pumping and holding still till just the right moment to strike, they got a shitload of pent up energy. Three, play is fun and they're feelin pretty good about catching that mouse.
>>
>>47274987
Simple, cats are evil.

Don't listen to >>47275370 , that is a cat posting. "Just being playful" is a lie to make you let your guard down.
>>
>>47275495
This is also a cat.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.