[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: Emrakul, the Aeons Torn.xlhq.jpg (595 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn.xlhq.jpg
595 KB, 745x1040
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Next MTG Purchase?

Thoughts on SCG Indy open?
GP Charlotte and GP Los Angeles this week.

Do you like the current Modern Metagame?
(picture below)
>>
File: Modern Metagame.jpg (234 KB, 797x2046) Image search: [Google]
Modern Metagame.jpg
234 KB, 797x2046
Modern Metagame
>>
File: Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
Link to decklists
>http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t%5BC1%5D=28&start_date=05/13/2016&end_date=05/15/2016&start=1&finish=32&event_ID=47&city=Indianapolis&limit=32&start_num=0

Top 8
>1 Jeskai
>2 GU Infect
>3 Valakut
>4 GB Infect
>5 Grixis Delver
>6 Tron
>7 Jund
>8 WR Control
>>
Does anyone have the enchantment list that anon was working on?
>>
Threadly reminder that control has everything it needs and you need to stop blaming Wizards for your lack of skill.
>>
File: Maelstrom Pulse.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Maelstrom Pulse.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>47283601
>Playing?
Jund.

>Brewing?
Eldrazi. The core cards are still very strong, we just need to find the right combination.

>Next MTG Purchase?
Anything good Eternal Masters has to offer. I'd like to get more ZEN fetchlands if those return for real (like the leaker said a few months ago).

>Thoughts on SCG Indy open?
What a fantastic time to be playing Modern.
>excellent banlist update by banning Eye and bringing back AV (and Sword of the Meek)
>Jeskai takes first place
>no Abzan Company making Day 2 (!!)
>rise of Valakut decks
>rise of Dredgevine decks
>innovation in Bant Eldrazi, WR Control, BTL Control, Temur Traverse (http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/mtgochamp15/modern-decklists)...

I'm having a blast.
>>
>Playing
Nothing at the moment.
>Brewing
Mardu Control with Nahiri because I can't afford Jeskai
>Next MTG Purchase?
Probably get some more thoughtseizes.
>>
>>47283601
>Its ok to summon this with haste from your deck but we have to stop anyone from pulling it from the graveyard!

They have not even done anything remotely recursion in like 10 years, why do they still do this shit.
>>
>>47284592

Graveyard mechanics are a mistake because they're too complicated for new players.
>>
>>47284742
Which is why we need more of them. Fuck new players. Casualization leads to hearthstone.
>>
>>47284798
Hearthstone makes mad dosh.

From a business perspective hearthstone is doing it perfectly and is a shining example of what all future card games should strive to be.
>>
Anyone else happy right now that they got Nahiri when she was dirt cheap?
>>
File: 1288655489880.jpg (28 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
1288655489880.jpg
28 KB, 300x240
>>47285118
I pulled one from a booster, bought two for cheap and nabbed a foil right before the buyout happened. Feels pretty damn good.
>>
>>47285118
Not dirt cheap, but I'm happy I got a playset for $80.
>>
>>47283773
It's a surprisethat jeskai won, infect should be king of the meta
>>
>>47284592
They stopped printing interesting cards a while ago. Look at Part the Waterveil: apparently they're afraid a combo with a 6 mana sorcery would break the game.

The day Necro became "too good" was The beginning of the end.
>>
>>47283629
death & taxes should not be tier 2

that isn't even a deck. it isn't playable.
>>
>>47285644
>Necro was the beginning of the end
Ok, I agree with you in theory, but you picked a bad example. Necropotence *is* too good for literally anything. It's too good for this world, even.

A better example would be Time Warp, which isn't too good and pairs better as a demonstration with your Part the Waterveil example.
>>
>>47283601

>Playing?
Elves G/B/W version.
>Brewing?
Not my list but Dredge with Insolent Neonate and Prized Amalgam. Amalgam is no Ichorid but the list works.
>Next MTG Purchase?
Maybe Eternal Masters. Couple of Auriok Champions. MORE LANDS.
>>
>>47285118
Wow, I traded one of mine for a fucking Westvale Abbey.

Just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
File: 1367027410421.jpg (105 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1367027410421.jpg
105 KB, 640x480
>>47283601
>>Playing?
mardu; jeskai

>>Brewing?
nothing. the format isn't very interesting - i'd rather play standard or legacy.

>>Next MTG Purchase?
probably selling out of modern for mtn bike parts. looking at a 1x crankset and SRAM X0 derailleur. probably a new fork, too. and tires. always good to have spares.
>>
File: Nahiri.png (132 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Nahiri.png
132 KB, 223x311
>>47285118
picked up about 35 of her for 10 each.

bin mythic, they said.
unplayable, they said.
>>
>>47285892
"Necro is good in a vacuum" is something people who never played with Necro believe. The card was very fair until Urzas block, and was a way for Black decks to beat Blue decks. Right now, in formats without dark ritual I still think it's fine. Try playing Necro in Modern, see how good it is.
>>
>>47285684
I can second this. It dies to linear aggro like a bitch, and you are missing way to much shit that made the deck tick. I fell for this meme when u first got into modern. The only good dnt is legacy dnt. Aka real dnt.
>>
>>47286235
>The only good dnt is legacy dnt. Aka real dnt.
and even then it's only good if your meta isn't filled with eldrazi. mom can't beat colorless beaters and chalice.
>>
>>47286235
the only version i was ever able to kind-of win with against the field was RW taxes with mox monkey and blood moon. turn 1 arbiter is a beating on the play, but it was pretty jank.
>>
I have fun in modern. I just want ONE THING ban Chalice of the Void. Breaks the game.
>>
>>47286524
You want a card that sees nearly zero play banned?
>>
Bought into affinity feels pretty good.
>>
>>47286739
Enjoy a deck that gets infinite hate and not a single card transfers over to another deck
>>
>>47286658
in my LGS Jund Abzan and Merfolk use 2-3 Chalice in SB
>>
>>47286825
But it still gets good results and has a good chance of never getting banned. And unless they go and ban most of the engine then it will stay around like it always has.
>>
>>47285118
I should have picked up more copies of the card, but I'm happy to own such a good card. Also the bitch does work in commander.
>>
>>47287075
>Tfw nahiri was 12 dollars I couldn't pay someone to take her from me

I should pay more attention to new cards, I traded 3 Kalitas when they were only 17 too
>>
>>47287144
I bought mine for 10, I'm just pissed i didnt get a foil desu
>>
>>47286166
>unplayable, they said.

Emrakul is a good target, just like trough the breach or goryo, but sometimes it's doing nothing because it's too late or because your opponent extract the spell or the creature.

You have to put her in play T4 to have an emmy T6 in a perfect world when you can goryo T2 (when you are dumb or have two bolts in hand) or breach T4.

The minus 2 is more good than expected.

Jeskai can have a damn good side against burn/affinity and can counter a T3 Karn.

So, the association of those is decent but not enough to be a regular top 4. Infect, Jund/Jund and better control decks (blue moon/grixis) are a problem.

Slaughter games is a top-tier side card right now.
>>
>>47286874

Plenty of things that go through Chalice. What colours are you in?
>>
>>47286825

>Not a single card transfers over to another deck

Come on anon, there's Inkmoth Nexus!
>>
>>47286166
>they said

did Memedern players really say this?
they're dumber than I realized
>>
>>47286524
>Ban Chalice

Ahahahaha, kill yourself faggot.
>>
>>47287572
>People pretending they "knew she was good all along"

IT BEGINS
>>
>>47287613
Everyone that owns the card now that payed less than 15 dollars is in that camp. Sorry you thought a 4 drop that tempos you cards, removes permanents, and tutors a creature with haste was bad.
>>
>>47287656
I honestly thought nothing of it either way, since I don't play the colors it's in. But if pretending that you're some deck building virtuoso helps you get through the day, by all means anon, go ahead and play pretend.
>>
>>47287613
I have a circle of neckbeards that are pretty much rebbit incarnate. Did the exact same thing with all the eldrazi last set. I have no doubts they are going to try and say that shit next fnm. Well jokes on them. I got my playset of nahiris off them before the spike.
>>
>>47287760
Just be sure to ask them: "If you knew she was so good, why'd you part with her?"
>>
>>47287532
Green
Red
White
>>
>>47287818
Confirmed for bait
>>
If my meta is full of control what should I build? Every fucker plays Grixis, America, blue moon, and even esper.
>>
>>47287871
Literally any aggro deck with good redundancy. You just keep playing until they run out of 1 for 1's and have to let shit through and eventually fold. You can also side something like Defense Grid to really fuck them, and depending on your own deck pack a Cavern of Souls or two.
>>
>>47287871
>Control meta

play burn.
>>
what do i buy into: deaths shadow aggro, eldrazi taxes or living end
>>
>>47288013
Because you hate winning and want a memedeck instead of something good.
>>
>>47287818

Use Shattering Spree. It makes no difference if the original spell is countered by chalice as the replicate copies are not considered cast.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160511-185321.png (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160511-185321.png
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>47288028
yes, but what deck
i am literally incapable of making decisions on my own
>>
>>47288013
Living end is the only one of those that is actually any good
>>
>>47287814
>interacting with them ever outside of fnm pairings and trading
>>
>>47288013
Although the current meta isn't the best for it, Living End. It's an interesting Deck, sometimes feels like Aggro (you rush a Living End), sometimes control (Evokes+LE as removal), and sometimes you simply laugh at their misery and you simply cicle away into victory.
Still not the best meta for it.
>>
>>47287760
>I got my playset of nahiris off of them before the price spike.

Sure you did. You totally knew she was good all along right? Nice blog btw.
>>
>>47286180
I both played wiith and played against Necro back during the Black Summer. Let me tell you, it was not "very fair until Urzas block". Necropotence is just about the best Black card ever printed, and Black has a lot of bullshit to compete with it.

It's not a fair card and never has been one. Even without Dark Ritual to support it, it is insanely powerful. It cannot be introduced into formats safely. If Legacy, with all its powerful, plentiful, easy disruption cannot handle Necro, why do you think Modern can?
>>
>>47288414
in the meta, as time goes on though, will there be room for the deck?
>>
>>47288334
>>47288414

on the note of living end, how does it deal with all the yard hate that people sb? or leyline of the void, etc
>>
>>47287871
>Grixis, America, blue moon, and even esper.
Valakut or Tron?

Affinity should run them over, too.
>>
>>47288558
Necro+pump knights+drain life was fair. Necro is the best black spell ever, but its the only reason black was ever even playable.

In modern, Necro:
1. Comes down turn 3 in a turn 4 format

2. Uses your life total as a resource in a format built to pressure that resource

3. Doesn't have any combo decks to power
>>
How do I get around an abrupt decay going after a non-creature permanent that I absolutely don't want to lose? Like an enchantment. How do I flicker that at a reasonable mana cost?
>>
>people actually think Nahiri Jeskai is good

Until you know people start actually preparing against it

Then everyone will stop playing it and go back to throptersword
>>
>>47288998

>He thinks Thoptersword is actually good

Extended is dead gramps
>>
>>47288998

Yeah and all those Tezzerets you bought will be worth 50$ each real soon.
>>
>>47288998
Thopters were DOA. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Pithing Needle in the side for Nahiri.
>>
>>47288962
Greater Auramancy gives other enchantments shroud. That's the best I can do. What enchantment are you talking about?
>>
>>47289234
almost there
>http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=243513
>>
File: 35.jpg (49 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
35.jpg
49 KB, 312x445
>>47289505

Pretty good, thanks.

This piece of shit. I've been trying out a UG build with Noxious Revival to get it back or put another creature on top, and Nulltread as a secondary wincon and also to put creatures on top. It's still shit but it's able to steal game 1. With white, there's the possibility of going more down the control route and use colonnades but maybe at that point I'm just playing a worse UW control.
>>
>>47289511

Sucks to be a burger.

https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/Products/Singles/Mirrodin+Besieged/Tezzeret%2C+Agent+of+Bolas
>>
File: 20160513_232421.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160513_232421.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Tsk tsk anons
>>
>>47289899
But do you play?
>>
>>47289923
Yup.
>>
>>47289850
If you want to stay on color you could try bounce effects like repeal. repeal is especially good since it cantrips as well.
>>
>>47289973

Goes on the Maybe pile. Honestly, I don't care what colors I run as long as there's a reason to try them. I might just run white and replace nulltread with phantasmal image to copy the owls. Eidolon of rhetoric seems okay too for blocking and letting me play solitaire for another turn.
>>
>>47290116
Spellskite is a card you might want to try as well.
>>
>>47290160

It's actually been so long since I've seen one that I forgot it existed.
>>
>>47284742
>Too complicated for new players

I got into the game right at the start of Odyssey when I was 10~11 years old. I had absolutely no issue figuring the game out and learning to play, and neither did any of my friends. "It's too complicated for new players" is a bad excuse, and in reality it's "A vocal minority of low IQ individuals don't understand it".
>>
>>47289899

so when do you sell them?
>>
>>47290313

>"A vocal minority of low IQ individuals don't understand it".

i honestly dont even think its that

i think its stupid market research practies

i imagine them getting together a bunch of random uber-casuals that may or may not play regularly and then they ask them prodding questions like "when does magic confuse you?" or "what's one way we could make magic easier to understand?"

well of course they are gonna come up with something, but in reality it wasnt really a problem, you just asked them for the most confusing thing they could remember and they probabl exaggerated their confusion
>>
File: 1423333861230.jpg (121 KB, 474x492) Image search: [Google]
1423333861230.jpg
121 KB, 474x492
Why are there so many people upset that Nahiri is good in Modern?

Oh no, Jeskai Control decks have another build option they can choose. How dare there be different deckbuilding options.
>>
>>47290313
For whatever it's worth my first set was Future Sight. These days I hear a lot about how TSP and LRW blocks were failures because their overcomplication drew new players off, and I just get annoyed. Those sets were the fucking shit.
Especially limited.
>>
>>47289850
Simic charm or redirect?
>>
>>47290490
I seriously have to wonder who these "new players" are. It has to be something like what >>47290401 said, they're just grabbing random casuals and asking them stupid, leading questions.
>>
>Playing
B/w tokens
>Brewing
Lantern control,wanted to try something new
>Next purchase
Every last single card of fucking lantern control. kill me pls
>>
>>47290582
You runnin that pyx son?
Aether grids for backup plan?
1 or 2 Surgicals?
>>
>>47290529

Simic might be the better one for straight up artifact/enchantment hate, though I have a strong urge to run redirect for added fun. UU is also really easy to get.
>>
>>47283601
>Playing?
Merfolk
>Brewing?
Gonna try and build Slivers. It seems fun
>Next MTG Purchase?
Slivers!
>>
>>47283601
>Playing?
Affinity, B/W Tokens
>Brewing?
G/W Enchantress, Mardu something (Pox probably)
>Next MTG Purchase?
3 Bloodghasts and 3 Flagstones of Trokair. Set of foil promo Signal Pests. Set of Blood Moon.
>>
>Playing?
Naya burn/bogles
>Brewing?
UW budget affinity
>Next MTG Purchase?
In sequential order
Mox opals
Arcbound ravager
Inkmoth nexus
Glimmer void
>>
>>47283601
When Nahiri was spoiled I found her interesting and definitely solid, but I wasn't sold on her. It's nice to see things shaking up, but all the Nahiri shills oughta give us more than one event to stroke their cocks. Remember, Lantern Control one a GP and top 8'd two more afterwards. It's very possible Nahiri is giving Jeskai the boost it needs, but I think we need a few more events to tell.

I really fucking love Lantern Control and mine is almost finished.
>>
So tron was the most common day 2 deck and every copy had two copies of world breaker in it. Does this mean that tron is playable again?
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 223x310
why doesn't jeskai just run through the breach?...
>>
>>47291450
Tron was never not playable.
>>
>>47291485
Because it only pulls from your hand, not from your deck. Also it costs five and doesn't offer any other options besides "slap down creature from hand".
>>
>>47291485
>>47291505

Also, breach can be countered much more easily than a PW ability can be.
>>
>>47291485
from your hand, not your library. Tutoring up your wincon is great. Being able to discard your wincon until you can use it instead of holding onto it is also good.
>>
>>47291450

Honestly I don't know why Tron lists weren't fucking running Worldbreaker sooner. I've been saying that Tron lists should be able to run him for quite some time. Guess the banning of Eye of Ugin has made it more appealing
>>
>>47290462
Nobody's upset. A deck nobody had ever seen before had a single pilot in the entire top 32, and everyone shits themselves and starts mass buying her like it actually matters.

Here's a hint: look at your deck and see how much permanent removal it packs and how much of a board it can build through countermagic. That is exactly how good it will be against Nahiri decks. Its like Splinter Twin's retarded little sister.
>>
>>47291683
>splinter twins retarded sibling
Thats what control is, combo decks are just control decks that dont suck
>>
>>47291778
>actually being retarded

Never played a format besides modern? I guess that's the only way you could think Combo and Control play even remotely alike.
>>
>>47291683

>Here's a hint: look at your deck and see how much permanent removal it packs and how much of a board it can build through countermagic.

>looks at deck
>4x Cavern of Souls

Looks like i'm set! Time to go FAST.
>>
>>47287613
I took the ones i pulled from my case for my America Allies deck.... I've never been happier
>>
>>47291888

What tribe are you running, and is your deck totally lacking in non-creature spells?
>>
>trons nerfed no eye gg no re omfg

>newlamog
>worldbreaker
>kozs return
>spacial contortion
>warping wail
>sanctum of ugin to replace eye

Eye didn't even tap for t3 karn mana. Tron is in a great spot
>>
>>47291960

I'm playing Elves. About the only things that aren't creatures are Collected Company and Chord of Calling.
>>
>Grove of the Burnwillows going for about $72 a piece
>Karplusan Forest going for about $7 to $11 a piece

I honestly don't think the difference between taking 1 damage and giving your opponent 1 health has enough impact (if any impact honestly) is worth the $60+ price difference. You can buy nearly two full playsets of Karplusan for the price of a single Grove, and not see a real difference in performance in a typical Modern match. Yes, I understand that Tron doesn't care much for your opponent gaining life. Yes, I understand that in niche cases paying that one or two life can cost you the game. But at the same time, I feel that the times that'll happen (considering the deck and the meta) are very few and far between.
>>
>>47292715
you'll probably use the karplusan forest more than once, leading to losing more than 1 life
>>
>>47292715
Absolutely not "worth" the price, but this last tourney a match had Tron at 1 life. It really does matter. The price is indicative of the rarity, and if a card even so much as gives you a 0.5% boost, people will make the card sought after.
>>
>>47292715
>>47292818
>>47292841

I've seen Gemstone Mine mentioned as a decent alternative.
>>
Can Atog be viable in Modern?
>>
>>47293574
No. With Atog the power is both temporary and stays on the Atog.

Ravager ensures that the power can be passed onto another creature. This is not only more powerful but necessary in the Modern metagame where creatures can be blasted off the battlefield for no effort.

In Modern, the strength of Affinity is based in the fact that the creatures are challenging to deal with. Sorcery removal that is typically good against aggro decks are worthless due to the high density of manlands and the creatures are all top-tier threats thanks for Cranial Plating and Ravager.
>>
>>47287871
All aggro decks my meta is similar, I just play suicide zoo. Have won 2*fnms In a row playing it.
>>
>>47288013
Death shadow aggro is so much fun. I recommend it tbqh. >>47288013
>>
File: enchantress.png (1 MB, 1201x685) Image search: [Google]
enchantress.png
1 MB, 1201x685
I'm not even forcing a meme anymore, I just keep winning.
>>
>>47294001
It must be nice, playing in an area with garbage players.
>>
>>47283800
>>47294001
>>47291329
>>
>>47294014
it's arguably worked better here than legacy. you lose three incredible cards but the general powerlevel drop means you can survive long enough to stabilize without solitary confinement

Sure i hate losing enchantresses to bolts but shifting to 4 eidolons mitigates it and I run 2x circle of protection: Red sideboard for the direct hate. alternatively you could use anything that makes you hexproof but Circle just works when you have this mana and/or want to drop it early.

I'm 12-3 on the week in sets. Yall just don't run the hate and the deck is so damn consistent it's hard to overrun quick enough.
>>
File: 1455520338166.jpg (25 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
1455520338166.jpg
25 KB, 312x445
>>47283601
I play super casual. I wanted to make a cheaper deck (around 50 or so) using some of the following cards.

>Siege Rhino
>Either of the B/W Sorins
>Loxodon Smiter
>Fleecemane Lion

Can someone help me with where to go from here?
>>
>>47294150
This is my deck might be a good start
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/junk-midrange-value-town/ switch voices for fleecmane and your already saving like $150
>>
>>47294223
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/junk-midrange-value-town/

I forgot about Baron existing. Seems like he'd make a fun finisher.

Thanks anon, will definitely use this as a base for my casual circle.
>>
>>47294095
>Yall just don't run the hate

>Permanent removal
>Hate
>>
>>47283601
Just finished a small Modern event with Nahiri:
1. Nahiri, 1-0-1, I had 4x Ancestral Vision in the main which helped a lot.
2. Jund, 1-2, Inquisition/Thoughseize, Liliana, Pithing Needle & Raging Ravine fucked me gently in games 2 & 3.
3. GB Infect, 2-1, Phyrexian Crusader is a mother fucker, but Supreme Verdict top decks got me there.

Wish I'd had more than the lone Crumble to Dust in the SB.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 178x248) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 178x248
What would you say these 4 decks have in common

Naya burn
Goblins
Bogles
Affinity
>>
>>47295166
They're all low-IQ and basically play themselves.
>>
>>472952355
What Tier 1 deck isn't?
>>
File: ss+(2016-05-16+at+11.28.42).jpg (217 KB, 1633x266) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-05-16+at+11.28.42).jpg
217 KB, 1633x266
>tfw brain in a jar is only okay in a control shell and not viable for anything else
>so much overflow artifact hate, going hard on the brain means your deck has higher variance when you dont draw it

this is the best shitbrew ive been able to come up with for it and its kind of a shit delver but its kinda fun if it works properly

if anyone has any ideas let me know
>>
>>47287613
Look, we inherently know that a lot of effects are strong, it's just that many lack the cards to back them up. Nahiri was one of those folks, her ulti looked reasonable to get to for the sort of effect it produced. The question was, was there a deck that could afford 4 Nahiri + One Big Fucker? I'm glad the answer is "yes". Now I'm waiting with bated breath to see Traverse the Uwenwald.
>>
>>47295166
>Patrician tier decks
>>
File: kappa.png (877 KB, 1069x1451) Image search: [Google]
kappa.png
877 KB, 1069x1451
>>47288490
salt
>>
>>47284592
Uhh, you know you can reanimate Emmy with something like Goryo's Vengeance, right? You just cast it with her trigger on the stack.
>>
>>47286874
My god, is the rest of your meta Burn and Infect? B/G/x decks should not be running Chalice unless there are odd things going on in your store's meta.
>>
Now that eldrazi winter has passed I want to get into modern. Is there any good graveyard decks besides dredge?
>>
>>47296203
Grishoalbrand, I guess?
>>
>>47296203
dont dude modern sucks. play legacy or standard.
>>
>>47296331
>waah I don't even play this format

Fuck off, we don't go shit up your threads, so don't shit up ours.
>>
>go to locals
>play against a guy who doesn't like combo
>he's playing budget burn
>i'm on ad nauseam
Is there any way to not sound like a smug asshole after winning in 8 turns? Same with a game against affinity.

>I have 9 poison counters
>combo in hand, need 1 more land
>he's swinging in
>spoils of the vault for ethereal haze
>its on top
>next turn draw sleight of hand
>see another spoils
>he swings in on his turn
>spoils for the second haze
>one card down
>untap, upkeep, draw basic Island, combo gg
>>
>>47296370
If your burn player is a spaz, tell him to fuck off. Anyone piloting that deck doesn't have the right to complain about anything, even if it is a budget version.
>>
>>47296203

if you like playing cards, you won't like modern.
>>
Is there a website where I can play this game for free anywhere?
>>
I first started playing standard competitively during INN/RTR and the deck I built was bant control.

Thragtusk, resto angel, sphinx's revelation were the 3 main cards

Backed by Jace AoT, Detention sphere, Supreme verdict, Farseek, Azorious charm, Think Twice, Augur of bolas, Disspiate, Syncopate, Elixer of Immortality

This has always been my favorite deck. It is probably TOO slow for modern. Is there any deck that I can relive this type of deck though?
>>
>>47296390
Nah, he was a nice guy; he just doesn't like playing against combo decks. Maybe I should just work on keeping a shit-eating grin off my face when I get easy wins. Also how can you hate burn that much? It's not that different from any other hyper aggro deck in the format.
>>
>>47296418
Are we in some sort of a hyper combo state where everyone and their grandmothers are trying to jam two combo packages into one deck in the hopes of being the next Thopter Depths/Breachscape?
>>
>>47296444
Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't hate Burn in the least, and I have a lot of fun when I run it. It's just one of those decks (along with stuff like Affinity and Infect) that I feel aren't allowed to complain if they get hosed or beaten out. They're extremely linear for the most part, and fairly powerful too.
>>
>>47296459

we're in a place where everything you play gets removed and everyone breaks even except the jund player has an extra bolt so he can swing in with goyf
>>
>>47294014

I wish I knew of a shop full of shitbrewers. FNMs full of tier 1 decks are fun too but they can get a bit tiring.
>>
>>47296485
>herp derp I don't know how modern actually works because I don't actually play it

When you unga bunga shit onto the board without a thought in the world and you don't have anything to back it up or keep it there, that's entirely your fault.
>>
Anybody have a high res scan of both sides of Jace, Vryn's Prodigy? I have a new proxy method of making near undetectable cards, and I need to test it with a high value card
>>
File: 1424462943742.png (527 KB, 650x560) Image search: [Google]
1424462943742.png
527 KB, 650x560
>>47283601
>Playing?
Mono Blue Tron

>Brewing?
Kinda considering a light red splash in U Tron for Crumble to Dust and possibly some sideboard Blood Moons so people realize that card sucks dick 90% of the time vs U Tron.
>Next MTG Purchase?
Another Blood Moon if I wanna make UR Storm better. A 3rd Chalice of the Void if I favor U Tron.
>>
File: 1338671697528.jpg (47 KB, 231x250) Image search: [Google]
1338671697528.jpg
47 KB, 231x250
>>47296353
i do play this format though. it sucks. there aren't any interesting decks right now because the powers that be won't let us have good cards and won't reprint cards that are already in the format. it's just aggressively medium as a format and i don't see any compelling reason to buy in.
>>
>>47292715
Or you could just decide not to be a dick and play a deck that is not tron. please
>>
>>47296710
Tron is a fine deck anon. Play a deck with actual interaction and it's not hard to beat at all.
>>
>>47296520
That cards worth 40 bucks now, the fuck do you think youre doing anon.
>>
>>47296731
Burn and Affinity have little interaction and beat tron. Jund and Abzan have a lot of interaction and can't beat tron.

Don't be an idiot.
>>
>>47296444
That's kind of funny, considering that burn is technically a combo deck. The winning burn spell combos with the ones played before it.
>>
>>47296791
epic, just epic.
>>
>>47296670
I agree anybody would be a dumb motherfucker to jump into this format at its current price. I got into it when Fetchlands were $8. Now they're 300% more at least.

I don't want to engage in the mental gymnastics necessary to imagine a world where the prices go down. Even IF Wizards were to for some fucking reason print Modern Masters wholesale, they would have to do these things:
- print a lot
- 36 packs in a box like normal
- drop the MSRP to a regular pack/box price

I look at the Modern problem like an fat person trying to lose weight. They have to eat less, exercise, eat healthy, and commit to it in the long term (5+ years) for the body to adjust properly. If they don't do all of that they'll just stay fat.
>>
File: M.jpg (982 KB, 2090x1568) Image search: [Google]
M.jpg
982 KB, 2090x1568
How bad does this look?
>>
>>47296964

Why Commandeer? Also not a fan of Temporal Trespass but I guess it can be great if you're careful with what you exile.
>>
>>47296964
Who the fuck knows. Test it and get back to us.
>>
>>47296964
Post the full deck list with sideboard.
>>
>>47292144
Return is too slow, World Breaker requires fixing, can't be cast off t3 natural Tron and is pretty low impact, Sanctum is dogshit. Just stop kidding yourself anon, only reason why you'd see Tron in top8 anymore is if the pilot has mad topdeck skills and people start playing Jund even more en masse than now.
>>
>>47296814
Red is a control color
>>
>>47296964
Pretty bad, you lose every game vs aggro (which is basically the entire field now) in which you don't draw Gigadrowse and even Ad Nauseam is faster.
>>
File: 247.jpg (64 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
247.jpg
64 KB, 312x445
>>47297050

It is now.
>>
>>47297059
always was, youve played around bolts and shit for how long and you just realized it now?
>>
File: turns.jpg (1 MB, 1959x1469) Image search: [Google]
turns.jpg
1 MB, 1959x1469
>>47297021
This was my old decklist but I kept having issues with PtW being my only wincon.
>>
>>47297079

I'm not the other guy, I've always said Burn was interactive despite being linear and having the ability to ignore the opponent on bullshit opening hands. Nahiri just made people realize a bolt and helix is just as interactive as a terminate and abrupt decay.
>>
>>47297079
Every year Wizards prints dogshit Red Mythics and aggro cards to remind us that Red is a shit color.

Every aggressive Red player just asks for better and better Bolts. What they often fail to realize is that Bolt can just as easily be used against them in a control deck as used in an aggro deck.
>>
>>47297101
>not just providing a decklist in text format

On top of you being annoying, your deck is also shit.
>>
>>47297105
Probably because they havent played with counterspells. I just wish reds hand disruption was modern legal instead of being handicapped and given to blue and black.
>>47297112
Only because people like consistent decks and wont risk their record to randomness. Its why people arent playing pyromancers goggles and browbeat yet.
>>
>>47296421
Xmage.
>>
>>47297120
Thanks for the help, shithead. If you're blind try getting one of those OCR programs. They can read images for you.
>>
File: Lol.webm (591 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Lol.webm
591 KB, 480x270
>>47297199
>>
File: 1404259326574.jpg (81 KB, 709x720) Image search: [Google]
1404259326574.jpg
81 KB, 709x720
>>47297199
>>
>>47297112
i want price, vortex and fireblast - not more bolts. fuck son get your shit together.
>>
File: [blood moon intensifies].jpg (124 KB, 300x900) Image search: [Google]
[blood moon intensifies].jpg
124 KB, 300x900
quick, which deck do i play?
>jeskai harbinger
>mardu midrange
>rw prowess
>grixis control
>grixis delver
>blue moon
>death and taxes
>>
>>47296670
"Medium" describes modern very well. Whenever I try to make a deck/copy a decklist, every card feels like Disfigure. They're really weak, but when you try to think of av replacement, you realize that somehow serum visions or remand is the best version of something. Most of these decks feel like toned down standard decks, and I'm not sure if its worth 1000 to whack people with wet noodles.
>>
File: laughingsenrans.png (168 KB, 500x397) Image search: [Google]
laughingsenrans.png
168 KB, 500x397
>The people shit talking modern in this thread are all probably the same guy with different browsers open, talking to himself
>>
>>47297710
Yup, no one dislikes modern. Its a healthy, fun format that isn't rapidly going the way of extended at all. Must just be one crazy person.
>>
>>47297775
So fuck off and whine about it in a different thread. Maybe you can circlejerk in the EDH thread with the rest of that casuals.
>>
>>47297791
Swing and a miss. Its telling that one person speaking ill of the format brings forth so much vitriol.

Whenever I help people test for modern, I need something on in The background. There's so few decisions and so little interaction that I need to occupy myself or I can't play more than 2 rounds.
>>
>>47297816
try making browbeat good without pyromancers goggles, that will kill you some time
>>
I miss Eggs.
>>
>>47298432
I dont
>>
>>47286166
Eh, I still don't see it.

Removal is alright but somewhat conditional, wouldn't do shit against a wide board.

Ulti is alright but useless if you can deal with the answer that comes out.

And if you wanted to plus it then you may as well run something else.
>>
>>47295235
>Burn
>Plays itself

Thats what every low-IQ person says
>>
>>47296370
Sounds like you were pretty lucky desu.
>>
>>47296787
What on earth are you talking about with Abzan? That deck barely has any interaction at all.

And Jund folds because it needs to grind out its games, against a deck that can play its winning cards in three turns.
>>
>>47295166
Aggro.
>>
>>47296787
Affinity vs. tron is a lot closer than you think. Affinity is a turn or two slower than Infect, which means that tron has time to set up, well, tron, and lacks the reach of Burn, which means that sweepers are relevant.
>>
>>47297816
>There's so few decisions and so little interaction that I need to occupy myself or I can't play more than 2 rounds.
Try a Nahiri mirror and then say that shit to my face, fucker.
>>
File: mops brow.jpg (26 KB, 630x358) Image search: [Google]
mops brow.jpg
26 KB, 630x358
>mfw emrakuled though the breach and left with no lands and 1 life
>mfw i win the next turn
>>
Is it just me or does this new Nahiri feel like the card that Jeskai control needed all along?
>>
>>47294150
>8 bears
>8 mana
>not 16 mana
>8/8
>not 16/16

Holy shit this triggers me.
>>
>>47299974
Theyre not as strong when they're fucking each other
>>
>>47299244
Anon you count to 20. There's hardly any countermagic to think about, almost nothing worth bolting on the board in modern. The most difficult part of the deck is finding the 7 bolt effects you have to cast while your face is covered in bullshit.
>>
>>47283773

>R/G Valakut
>no scapeshift

Primeval Titan truly is a busted card.

i would still rather have scapeshift than through the breaches
>>
>>47297101
Play a thassa and two jace's. That's all you need for wincons.
>>
>>47283601
These threads are all the fucking same.

>Waaah modern is too expensive why can't tarmogoyf be in a duel deck?
>Waaah modern takes no skill, why can't I play a control deck other than Jeskai, Grixis, UW, Blue Moon...
>Pls rate my 67 card deck full of draft commons.

Every fucking thread. I actually like modern and don't think there's much wrong with it at the moment, there's a ton of archetypes to choose from and each top 8 so far has had a completely new list represented. If you can't afford the game why not just play another one?

>>47300326
I like the Valakut sans scapeshift list in a slower meta. You get to play actual card selection and threats, rather than a sorcery that does nothing if you don't have 7+ lands. Only gripe is that summoner's pact is really bad against the counterspells the deck is supposed to beat. less vulnerable to blood moon with nahiri also.
>>
>>47300555
>If you can't afford the game why not just play another one?
Poor people tend to be dumb.
>>
File: Frogshift.png (1 MB, 1174x586) Image search: [Google]
Frogshift.png
1 MB, 1174x586
Frogshift is the best shift
>>
>>47294493
I run more than you, I draw more cards in most situations, and the protection is unreal. You need "destroy all enchantments" and you don't have it.
>>
>>47300907
Didn't last weekend basically prove that Scapeshift is holding the deck back?
>>
Anyone put any personal touches to their decks? Whether it be a card not too commonly played, alters, etc

For my jeskai deck, I got premium series bolts, fnm paths, and fnm serum visions. Feels neat to have the decks signature 1 drops be foiled out like that.
>>
>>47302008
What I get from your opening line is "I just do what the pros do but im really a special snowflake so I put in ornithopters in all my decks, am really special guys!, Even Though I just copy other peoples ides, LOOK AT MY ORNITHOPERS!"
>>
>>47301330
I've tried titan breach and it just felt more fragile than titan shift. You need both cards in hand to make breach work, either is a win condition on its own in the scapeshift version. I watched several games and never saw an advantage for the breach build. They basically went off on the same turn and dealt the same amount of damage. Major difference that I saw was one loses a bunch of damage to terminate.
>>
>>47302008
My Faeries has three basic lands in it so I went Euro lands.
>>
File: Image.ashx.png (96 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.png
96 KB, 223x311
MM15 was such a fuckup that I could crack a pack and get a card damaged by the shit packaging that is now banned.
>>
Im taking this to gp Charlotte

Im thinking about putting in two flickerwisps since I have like no fliers
>>
File: Mango.jpg (29 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Mango.jpg
29 KB, 223x310
>>47302351
brimaz is a trap. play mangara and flickerwisp for maximum keks.
>>
>>47302351
It looks fun, is it just straightforward aggro?
Have you considered Plummet/Clip Wings to handle flyers?
>>
>>47302448
it can be aggro but its hatebears

you will never know true happiness until you turn 2 arbiter and ghost quarter someones land
>>
>>47302479
What exactly is hatebears? No one has ever explained this to me.
>>
>>47302499
Resource denial and small white creatures.
>>
>>47302528
Awesome.
>>
>>47302499
So a search for it on youtube. The mana source has a good video on it.
>>
>>47302479
No, that's not True Happiness with the Hatebears. True Happiness is being able to do that AND then curve perfectly into Turn Three Smiter and Turn Four Wilt Leaf Leige.
>>
>>47302351
I'd definitely run flickerwisp if I was you. The plays you can make with a vial on 3 and a flickerwisp are really insane.
>>
>>47302961
What would you recommend taking out?
>>
>>47303051
Brimaz is a trap, and you don't really need 3x Scoozes and Wilts.
>>
>>47302270
MM15 was the biggest piece of shit set that I ever invested into
>Buy 6 Boxes due to hype and decide to sit on them because of MM1 outcome
>Boxes start falling rapidly in price before launch
>Open 1 and get some nice value from it
>Open 2 more and lose value in both boxes
>Sell off the other 3 due to falling prices
>Overall damage was $700 after everything
>>
>>47302442
Jesus Christ that is so unviable, but if I ever lost to it on Zoo or Jund it would tilt me to no end.
>>
>>47303136
so brimaz a scooze and a wilt for 3?
>>
>>47303177
Cut Brimaz and one Leige for some Finks or Qasali Pridemages
>>
>>47302270
It would have been worse if Twin and Eye weren't reprinted.

Twin woud have been 50 USD and Eye would have been 100 USD. People buy out staples that aren't reprinted and buy it out again if the deck becomes Tier 0.

Instead we got a nice window to buy them on the cheap before the ban instead of buying high and getting burned.
>>
>>47302961
I'd say brimaz, one scooze and you can move the revokers to the sideboard probably, not a huge fan of them in modern. You don't need the whole 4 of flickerwisp, but i've barely ever had one in my hand and wished it was something else.
>>
>>47303051
brimaz first and foremost
>>
>>47303141
>invested
Well there's your problem, anon :^)
>>
>>47303509
shit, here>>47303051

I like brimaz and all, but i think flickerwisp is better.
>>
>>47303509
The revokers have been great for me naming things like jace and viscera seer

so I think ill take out a scooze a brimaz and a liege for 3 flickerwisps
>>
>>47303670
That is true, if you've been finding it useful go for it.
>>
File: WP_20160517_004.jpg (499 KB, 1632x918) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160517_004.jpg
499 KB, 1632x918
Here's my list. R8, B8, H8?
>>
>>47303805
dunno how I feel about having Thalia and Coco in the same deck, especially since you will probably be using your GQs and Tec Edges offensively

Have you had any issues?
>>
>>47302351
no three thalias? :s brimaz iz bad m8.
>>
>>47303914
Surprisingly little. Yeah, when it happened it happened; but Co-Co's won me more games than not.
>>
>>47303141
>Buying sealed product

It's like you're retarded or something.
>>
>>47303805
repost as text/10

I don't know what's with this "picture of my deck XDD" meme lately, but it needs to stop.
>>
>>47302584
The mana source doesn't have a good video on anything
>>
>>47305184
i can tell exactly what the deck is and what it does in a split second by simply opening that image and looking at it. your visual acuity is severely lacking, anon-kun. have you considered that you might be the problem, and not everybody else?
>>
I've been wanting to play jeskai or grixis as of late. The thing that fucking kills me however, is the 4 of scalding tarns. Just how critical is it to have a full playset of them? Can I get away with something like, 3 flooded strands, 2 arid mesas, and 3 scalding tarns? Possibly 4 strands, 2 mesas, and 2 tarns?
>>
>>47305184
Because people like to show off their cards, twit. Ask nicely and I'll repost the text list.
>>
how do u beat modern jeskai decks that are just like 30 removal/card draw/counterspells and cast a nahiri that loots twice then throws an emrakul at youi

i tried it a few times with affinity but i always lost and one guy called me bad and laughed at me
>>
>>47305410
Affinity usually aims to go under most control decks, however, it seems that Jeskai's removal suite is a bit stronger. My advice, just keep throwing artifacts down.
>>
>>47305270

Don't be rude. He might be Australian and it will take him at least 30 minutes to open that jpg.
>>
>>47305435
Nah, I looked at the image again. One of my Co-Cos was cut off at the top. That's a legitimate issue.

List is:
2 Aven Mindcensor
4 Leonin Arbiter
4 Loxodon Smiter
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Qasali Pridemage
2 Scavenging Ooze
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Voice of Resurgence
2 Wilt-Leaf Leige
2 Kitchen Finks

3 Collected Company
2 Dromoka's Command
4 Path to Exile

1 Brushland
1 Gavony Township
2 Forest
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Plains
4 Razorverge Thicket
2 Stirring Wildwood
2 Tectonic Edge
4 Temple Garden

SB/

1 Engineered Explosives

1 Mirran Crusader
2 Kor Firewalker
2 Spellskite
1 Gadock Teeg
1 Hushwing Gryff

2 Choke
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence

1 Dromoka's Command
>>
File: 20160515_200211.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160515_200211.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>47305407
>hey look at me cards i won an fnm with this ree
pic related
>>
>>47305524
>Being this mad.

Please, I've already reached my sodium limit for the day.
>>
>>47305370
yes
>>
>>47305370
I've found that I'm always wanting blue, red and then white. The 4 Colonnades give you plenty of white, most of the time... unless you need turbo Verdict.

Just make sure you have plenty of blue for Cryptic and first turn Vision/Visions.
>>
Friend is thinking of running esper thopters at Charlotte. How fucked is he?
>>
>>47306692
He'll have a great time going 0-4 drop
>>
>>47306692

Tell him to either run some variant of Scapeshift, Delver TiTi's, Elves or Ad Nauseam.
>>
File: 0c2.jpg (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
0c2.jpg
15 KB, 400x400
>>47305496
>CoCo in Hatebears
>no Vials
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.