[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Casual/Kitchen Table General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 25
File: E85ciepYTz_icon.jpg (102 KB, 768x431) Image search: [Google]
E85ciepYTz_icon.jpg
102 KB, 768x431
Magely Harriott Edition

Continuing from the last inaugural thread, what's your favorite way to play casual MTG?
>>
Casual MTG is literally the most despicable way to enjoy the hobby. You are taking the fundamentals of what makes MtG good, and turning it into garbage. Casual players have no commitment to the game (i.e. spending money, attending tournaments) and in my opinion have no right to be playing Magic in the first place. If you are not willing to spend monthly money and take place in the metagame, then you are not part of the Magic the Gathering community and we have no obligation to be accepting of you and your unfair playing habits. By refusing to keep up with Standard you are damaging the card market and throwing things off for the rest of us.

Play Magic competitively, or don't play it at all. It's like murderhoboing in D&D, it's despicable, and I will not stand for it.
>>
File: 1439860821754.jpg (134 KB, 895x895) Image search: [Google]
1439860821754.jpg
134 KB, 895x895
>>47224426
>(You)
>>
>>47224426
Can't quite tell if troll
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 223x311
post your favorite big guys
>>
File: bigguy.jpg (27 KB, 300x417) Image search: [Google]
bigguy.jpg
27 KB, 300x417
>>47225376
>big guys
>>
>>47225376
I actually got to play that card off of bring to light, opponent making all non-creature spells costing 2 to make, and five sources of "tap for any color of mana". I Bullshitted that purple and yellow were colors so I could use purple and yellow mana to cast bring to light.
>>
>>47225376
Perhaps he's wondering why someone would destroy a land, before throwing his mana out of a plane.
>>
I like to play tribal decks a lot in casual since, unless you're running either Goblins, Elves, or Fairies, you're generally not going to survive long in other formats.

I wish they'd reprint Soulcatcher's Aerie sometime, my Bird tribal deck always looks weird with that one card still stuck in the old border. I'm almost considering making custom art proxies just for that.
>>
Just made a casual WU human control-ish deck. Looks like shit but I feel like it can win every 5 odd games
>>
How do I build Bant Control?
>>
>>47227385
White prison/stax effects, counters and fight mechanics/big guys from Green. Bant is pretty easy for control. Now naya can be kinda difficult
>>
So I'm looking to build a classic UW control deck.

For spells I got supreme verdict, sphinxes Rev, and detention sphere. Maybe swords to plowshares

Creatures is serra angel

Lands are colonnade, strand and fountain.

What are some awesome casual counters and any other UW good stuff I'm missing?
>>
File: 1462332470063.png (493 KB, 1150x1600) Image search: [Google]
1462332470063.png
493 KB, 1150x1600
Uh, you don't get to cast spells
>>47227428
What cards to use? I have a few stasis snares and some reflector mages + dromoka's command, what else?
>>
>>47225376
>making it U
what is even the fucking point?
>>
File: 172.jpg (49 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
172.jpg
49 KB, 312x445
>>47225376
This big guy is the Syndrome of big guys, and he's powered by friendship, I love him.
>>
File: Image.jpg (39 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
39 KB, 223x310
This card with fucking Norin the Weary.
Drew so much aggro, but you owned the table pretty much.
>>
>>47227458
Teferi's Moat
>>
Does cube count as casual?
>>
>>47224426
>>47224426
How much many am I looking to be spending if I get into this game, casually?
>>
>>47227670
Depends on your playgroup. Could be 20 dollars, could be 2 thousand dollars.
>>
>>47227687
There are decks which cost 2,000?

And is it worth buying boxes and selling cards inside it? While trying to build up a library?
>>
>>47224391
I WANT to play kitchen table Magic, I really do, but even in EDH I can go off on a bender sometimes. I truly believe I'm that Spike guy, my brain is filled with all the all the best cards in the history of Magic that it's quite hard to look at a card that's absolutely worse in every way and say "hey I'll chuck this Krosan Cloudscraper into my green ramp deck!" with the same degree of youthful ignorance I had in my younger days.

For now, I'm playing Limited, EDH and Pauper. The very fact that I need to restrict the cardpool to official/semi-official formats is testament to how deep a need I have for running the best cards. Were my pockets limitless I imagine I'd be playing Legacy and Vintage. Teach me your ways, Magi of the Kitchen. Amongst you must be the elder types who know all there is to know about MtG. How do you feign indifference and draft a card, knowing in all the spells of the multiverse, there is a better one, one that you are in fact aware of?
>>
>>47227701
Yeah, most legacy decks are in the 1500-3000+ dollar range. Most of that is lands.

It's always cheaper to buy single cards than crack packs or buy boxes.
>>
>>47227701

I'm >>47227707
As a fellow who's sunk way too much money in this hobby, I want you to know, how much you choose to spend is a function of how high a level you want to play, and how old you want to go. Competitive Standard (the three newest "blocks", or six newest sets) SHOULD cost you no more than 200~300 dollars though it doesn't hold these days. Modern (every set since 8th Edition and Mirrodin, save a few exclusions), often go 400~2000 dollars, me being one of the idiots who spent the 2000 dollars for a deck that doesn't win as much as you'd expect a 2000 dollar deck to. Then there's Legacy, which is worse.

Of course, you could give no tosses to competition, and, while obeying a format's rules, build your own deck under your own budget. That's what this thread is for. It's all format-dependant because older, larger formats give rise to disgusting card combinations that win the game with little actual gameplay. We don't want you to walk into a game and lose on T1 or T2 (Legacy and Vintage).

So far, I feel the healthiest and most budget-friendly formats are Pauper, a format where you are only allowed to use commons in your deck, and EDH/Commander, which is... a little difficult to explain, but trust me, you pick up a Commander preconstructed product and you can start playing actual games with it. Don't buy a booster box until you're a little more experienced in the game and know where to go to monitor prices. It's a bloody stock market by now. If you want the satisfaction of ripping open packs, play a format called Limited where you're given some booster packs to open and build a deck exclusively out of. It's the official format Wizards develops its new sets for anyway so you can be assured (mostly) that you're in for a balanced playing field that you will get better at with skill.

Hope this lengthy post is of some aid to you. Sorry if I sound rather cynical toward Magic, I love it, I really do, and I hope you do too. I just deep ended meself.
>>
>>47227929
Hey man, as far as competitive formats go, legacy is prolly the most fun of the bunch. That said, I in no way would be playing if I hadn't made a number of good calls on cards.

Pauper is fantastic, its the closest thing to legacy that most people can play.
>>
>>47227956
It's true, Legacy does seem the most fun to play, but Dual Lands makes cost very prohibitive and given Eternal Master's business model, it's only gonna make the Dual Lands shoot even farther up, likely out my my reach, and that's a reach that can reach for Modern Jund.

That's actually exactly why I'm playing atm, it's as you say, Legacy Lite. Except Lite is like, less than 5% of a Legacy deck's budget, if you don't mind me over exaggerating a little.
>>
>>47227998
*Exactly why I'm playing Pauper atm
>>
>>47227998
You arn't exaggerating at all. If 50 is the pauper budget, and 1500 is the legacy, that gives me a value of 3%.
I mean, and I have UW tron and tortured existence. Had elves too, but gave that to my brother.
>>
>>47228016
forgot to add that its really funny to watch him just destroy his friends who all play kitchen table too. Huntmaster+Distant Melody or whatever it is= an obscene number of elves on turn 5 or so.
>>
>>47227701
Buying a box isn't super duper worth it.

Instead, grab some event decks from previous sets. They are actually pretty damn good and have some nice cards. BFZ, Theros/Journey into Nyx and Tarkir block event decks are around 25 bucks and have some neat cards in them. They play nicely and add to your collection to tool around with. Then once you get experience, you can change and throw around cards.
>>
>>47228036
God, that sounds so sweet, I'm building a Pauper Gauntlet atm, and by July I'd have Delver, Stompy, Goblins Tokens, MBC, Affinity and Bogles under my belt for less than two Tarmogoyfs, but in truth, I'm really, REALLY fascinated by Pauper Elfball. I mean, as kids, we all had that idiot during Onslaught who stacked his deck full of Wellwishers, Priest of Titania, Timberwatch Elf and Alpha status on top of all the mana elves. That was always fun and envious to watch.
>>
File: thorn elemental.jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
thorn elemental.jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>>47225376
I love this card so much, and I don't even know why.

I guess when it's one of the first cards you ever got, it holds a special place.
>>
>>47228067
The deck is horrifying on every game 1, its so fast, timberwatch+ quiron is so strong.
>>
>>47228069
I have a friend who swears by that card. For me, ramp decks are never the same as Sacchi, Daughter of Seshiro + Shamans, since that was my ramp deck that vomited out Crush of Wurms and Darksteel Colossus on Turn 5 back then.
>>
I've gotten to the point where all I play is EDH anymore.

My play group had been playing basically a very casual version of modern with some older shit peppered in (we all started playing around Tempest, but didnt really start buying a ton until Onslaught) for the last 10 or so years. The meta just got too competitive and unfun, and we realized since we're all anti social and hate going to tounaments, that we'd all just focus on making EDH decks.

I buy a box of boosters for every set, and thats about it. But it's usually enough to craft some great decks, adding to the fact that I've been playing over 20 years so my card pool is pretty big.

Conspiracy was so fucking fun to draft though. Really excited for the next set.
>>
>>47228100
Oh man, I played snake token swarm back in the day, and Sachi is the best.

Also Endless Swarm, because nothing is more fun that losing the game is the best way possible.
>>
>>47228219
Endless was such an Epic cycle that I really can't fault Kamigawa for trying it. And I'm the sort of unfortunate bloke who started at Mirrodin and then had to experience Kamigawa.

Truth be told I'm trying to work a Narset EDH where I use the white Epic spell to assemble Splinter Twin, Intruder's Alarm and literally ANY ENCHANTMENT CREATURE. Just pure jank for the sake of jank. The premise of the deck it to win without combat damage, so the enchantment creature was carefully whittled down to Thassa's Devourer.

But yeah, Sacchi is the reason why I get awkward and thoroughly unwanted boners for Kamigawa Orochibito. I-I'm not a furry I swear.
>>
I tend to play a lot of block constructed stuff, though that's mainly because I like seeing what kind of decks I can make using "just the cards from both innistrad blocks" or "just the cards from both ravnicas".

Funny story actually, the other day I attempted to finally make myself a commander deck. I got a good way in, pulled out a bunch of cards that would be candidates and started paring them down. About ten minutes in, I got bored and made five innistrad/SoI only theme decks instead. It took about a third of the time I spent on the commander selections.
>>
>>47228262
Kamigawa was the first set that I really got into as a kid, even though I started playing during odyssey. I think it was just how vibrant and interesting the art direction was. Well that and my huge boner at seeing Heartless Hidetsugu.

But honestly, I think Kamigawa was a bunch of cool ideas that got kind of screwed over by the design team not being willing to either back off all the way, or commit to the weird all the way.

That said, most of my favorite dumb commanders are from kamigawa, and they're all awesome. HOROBIIIIIIIIII
>>
>>47228265
As far as Commander goes, I genuinely recommend people to start out with one of the preconstructed products. With a little research, augmentations from your collection/dollar rares from your lgs will transform it into something VERY playable. The Commander precons supply you with all the staples and basic stuff you need. Honest. Every one comes with a goddamn Sol Ring ffs.
>>
>>47228322
I run Iname Death's Aspect with the plan of combo'ing off with Pariach's Bidding to assemble Horobii AND Kuro Pitlord. I know what you're talking about. The thing that really did it for me was, being a pennywise middle schooler at the time, after playing Artifact Lands and Skullclamp, and Goblins, Elves and Clerics before, I had to bear with, and I quote, 5 mana 2/1s with no relevant abilities and 4 mana 1/1s with B, Pay 5 life: Regenerate. Some of the commons were BRUTALLY horrendous despite the overall power level of the set. It was TERRIBLE for drafting and the kitchen table.
>>
>>47228337
Eh, I was never trying to make a viable commander deck, just a fun one I could play at the local shop while we were waiting for drafts or tournaments to start.

I have a bunch of viable legendaries for it, but I was never really sure of what would be a good choice. What do you all think? Here was my list.
>Experiment Kraj (I have the simic to do it, but remembering counters is hard.)
>Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer (I got that sword of the meek, I got all manner of artifacts, but I don't really like W/R)
>Thelon of Havenwood (My favorite tribal, but my god it's worse to keep track of than simic.)
>Ulasht the Hate Seed (This was the most promising, since I have hydras, shamans, and fun ramp)
>(Arguably) Genju Of the Realm (I'd love to do it, but I'm not sure if it's even legal.)
>>
>>47228374
Kraj is AWESOME. I'm sure Thelon can make a great BG Thallid deck. Use dice and card sleeves for both, it's unfortunately become a necessary part of Magic. Ulasht and any Gruul ramp n' tramp decks are always fun to play.
>>
>>47225441
>I Bullshitted that purple and yellow were colors
How fucking dumb was your opponent?
>>
>>47224426
I play Commander competitively.
Besides, standard is worst format
>>
>>47229533
Dumb enough to not know that "Any color" only means "Red,Green, Blue, Black, or White".
>>
>>47227496
To give all your counterspells "cannot be countered".
>>
>>47228374
Ulasht is decent as a combo, but what bothers me is that he only pings creatures. You can play Genju, if it's a house rule, but otherwise no, besides, you wouldn't be able to do commander damage anyway.
Thelon is pretty fun, but he's too dumb in my opinion and his strategies don't allow much tricks and stuff. He's great as casual commander, but otherwise he's one of the worse BG generals.
Jor Kadeen is pretty boring, nothing much to do than tokens and anthems. I had him, and dominated some games, but it never was interesting.
Kraj seems to be most fun of all of these, since he allows so many fun things to happen.
>>
>>47228374
>keeping track of counters
You know dice exist, right?
>>
I'm a new-ish player, getting into Pauper.

I've already got a pauper mono-Red burn deck, but I want a creature-focused deck.

What are the Pauper staples for mono-G stompy?
>>
>>47230006
Quirion Ranger
Young Wolf
Skarrgan Pit Skulk
Nettle Sentinel
Nest Invader
River/Mire Boa
Garruk's Companion
Vaultskirge
Silhana Ledgewalker

And then Rancor, Vines of Vastwood, Groundswell and Mutagenic Growth as you see fit.
>>
>>47230006
Rancor is a popular inclusion in practicality every version of Mono G Stompy out there, and Vines of Vastwood is a neat little counter/pump hybrid you'll probably be interested in.
>>
>>47230116
Don't forget armadillo cloak for those who splash into white. I swear, armadillo cloak has won me so many games.
>>
been playing mtg for about 2 months, all kitchen table with my friend
going to our first draft tonight!
what should i know?
>>
>>47231260

B>R>E>A>D.

Bombs > Removal > Evasion > Aggro > Dirt.

Also don't force a colour or deck concept before you start.
>>
>>47231291
dirt being land creatures?
>>
>>47231260
After everyone is leaving there will be extra cards on some tables. There are commons/uncommons people found in a draft that nobody wanted. Feel free to take a common or uncommon front he pile for w deck you're working on. Just make sure that they're actually draft chaff and not someone's pauper deck.
>>
>>47231312

Dirt is just anything not worth taking. Which is a tricky call to make, especially for a new player.
>>
Uh, 4 man multiplayer?

It has been so long. I miss Star. I miss Two-headed giant. I miss 60 card decks.
>>
Can someone go over the formats for me, and which one is typically best for someone not wanting to spend $1000+ on a decent deck?
>>
>>47227707
I tend to come up with a theme or idea for a deck before coming up with too many specific cards, and then go from there. there may be mechanically better cards, but if they don't fit the theme then I shouldn't include them. sometimes there are goals to a deck besides winning. a judge in our playgroup once built a deck with the intent to ensure no one could lose (my playgroup almost exclusively plays multiplayer games). he played abyssal persecutor, mnemonic nexus, wishmonger, a bunch of weird and usually bad cards, but he was coming at the game sideways, and they all contributed well to his deck.
>>
r8 as well

1 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets

1 Yasova Dragonclaw
2 Warden of the First Tree
2 Hermit of the Natterknolls
2 Prophet of Kruphix
2 Bounding Krasis
4 Jeskai Sage
4 Reflector Mage

1 Oath of Jace
1 Oath of Nissa
1 Oath of Gideon
1 Invocation of Saint Traft
2 Ongoing Investigation
2 Stasis Snare

1 Disperse
1 Calculated Dismissal
1 Dromoka’s Command
3 Ojutai’s Command
2 Valorous Stance
3 Negate
2 Bant Charm

3 Plains
5 Island
3 Forest
1 Port Town
2 Thornwood Falls
1 Fortified Village
1 Meandering River
2 Woodland Stream
2 Tranquil Cove
2 Blossoming Sands

Keeping a slot or two open for another planeswalker
>>
1 Garruk, Veil Cursed

1 Shadows of the Past
2 Vampiric Rites
2 From Beyond

2 Warping Wail
2 Altar’s Reap
4 Bone Splinters
2 Ultimate Price

2 Accursed Witch
2 Kindly Stranger
4 Catacomb Sifter
4 Eyeless Watcher
2 Blisterpod
2 Brood Butcher
2 Zulaport Cutthroat
1 Autumnal Gloom
1 Smothering Abomination
1 Vile Redeemer
2 Rot Shambler
2 Duskwatch Recruiter

1 Llanowar Wastes
2 Evolving Wilds
4 Black/Green Heal Taplands
2 Wastes
5 Forest
5 Swamp

This green/black deck.
>>
>>47231710
vintage and legacy include every set in magic, vintage has a very small banned list and a restricted list, which are cards you can only play one of in your deck. legacy only has a banned list, which was originally derived from the restricted list, but the two formats have grown apart and legacy stands on its own. both formats have a somewhat high monetary barrier to entry, and a deck for $1000 or at least a couple hundred isn't unreasonable, but you'll likely be able to keep that deck for a while, and even if the deck is killed, there should be a decent amount of utility you can keep for a different archetype.

modern includes every card since 8th edition(?) there was a point where they changed the card borders, that's the cutoff. every card printed in a set since then is legal in modern, this is another format that doesn't rotate, and is cheaper to get into than vintage or legacy, fetch lands and shock lands might run you a couple hundred for a fully streamlined manabase, but you can chip away at that.

standard is currently weird, but after eldrich moon it'll consist of three blocks, 5 or 6 sets depending on the point in the year. when a new block starts, both parts of the oldest block in standard are no longer legal. it has the lowest barrier to entry, if a block has good dual lands or fetch lands that cost might spike, but more often one or two chase rares will be the bulk of the most expensive deck's pricetag. however the rotation means that it costs more to maintain a standard deck, as you'll have to constantly keep up with the new sets and shifting metagame.

starting with standard, stockpiling cards that have use in older formats and eventually slipping into modern to then invest in legacy and vintage staples is probably the cheapest way to build up a competative deck over time. standard will be the cheapest in the short term but will absolutely be the most expensive long-term
>>
Does anyone have experience with a Peasant cube? I'm seriously considering building one.
>>
>tfw have to restrict cards you put in your decks because the table quits when they are played
Got new Jace, played him once, got his emblem off and everyone quit.

Trying to get my five player table into edh but they are all lazy fuckers not into deck building.
>>
>>47235694
My group has Guardian of the Gateless banned because that piece of shit means that we can't play swarm decks or weenies, which most of us like making.

I don't like angels in general, but god damn is that the worst of the bunch.
>>
>>47237149
>guardian of the gateless banned
literally what? do none of you play removal? are you incapable of making creatures with >1 power?
>>
>>47237149
That is literally my favorite card.
>>
File: TinkerlessTinker 001 (Large).jpg (678 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
TinkerlessTinker 001 (Large).jpg
678 KB, 2304x1728
post your favourite casual lists
>>
So, as a new player, should I start with a mono-colour deck or mix from the beginning?
>>
>>47238328
It's probably easier just to start with monocolour. Cheaper on the wallet too.
>>
>>47238328
Don't mix more than two at a time. Play with some simpler decks that don't require excessive knowledge of combos or card mechanics.
>>
>>47238328
I'm gonna buck the trend here and say start with two colours. New players get stuck too easily into wanting to play a colour, you need to learn an appreciation for the tools available to you and how they combine.
>>
>>47238885
Seconded. Using a two colour pair allows you to actually use each colour to cover the weakness if the other. Using to colours also gives you a flexibility that way overpowers most mono colour decks.
>>
>>47241166
Red aggro?
>>
>>47241468
And elves. Notice I said most mono decks.
>>
File: 1459182403986.jpg (55 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
1459182403986.jpg
55 KB, 312x445
>>47225403
Mine is better.
>>
>>47231260
just got back from this!
lost badly, went 0-2 without doing damage first match, second match i timed out the second game but would have won if i had the time.
last match was against my friend i went with and was so fun.
no regrets, and everyone i played against was very nice given that it was my first draft and helped me out with my deck
>>
What are you supposed to do after you draft with the cards you pulled?

Standard isn't really an answer, since there isn't a single deck type in any constructed format that can be powered by Commons.

I want to do things with these cards, but I honestly cannot think of a damn thing.
>>
>>47244075
Give them to little kids, new players or just burn them, commons take up way too much space in most player's collections.
>>
>>47244232
But I am a new player. What use would they have for them where I don't?
>>
>>47244260
I dunno, I play only competitive magic. I never use commons for the most part. Either get into pauper with your friends or give them to some 6 year old and convince them they're sweet cards. Or... Learn to play competitive magic and stop being a casual lil' bitch
>>
File: scrubs.png (651 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
scrubs.png
651 KB, 1067x800
>>47244390
>>
>>47244075
Make a pauper cube or trash them. Draft chaff is only keepable if you want a fuck huge collection. Even among casual play Commons are rarely playable
>>
File: 1460772776686.gif (2 MB, 514x205) Image search: [Google]
1460772776686.gif
2 MB, 514x205
>>47224426
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 480x680
>>47225376
Ho ho ho! Midgets!
>>
File: image.png (199 KB, 500x232) Image search: [Google]
image.png
199 KB, 500x232
>>47237149
>tfw an infinity/infinity guardian of the gateless duels with an infinite army of elves
>>
>>47244822
I guess I'll toss 'em or something.

The only pauper cube I've ever really wanted to make is a mashup of both Ravnica blocks, because I'm a filthy Vorthos who wants to play with cards that feel like you're tossing dregs of the urban jungle at one another.

Ivy Lane Denizen is my jam.
>>
>>47227670
You can buy a sealed deckbuilder's toolkit of 285 cards on amazon for about $15 with cards from the most recent sets. Most of them aren't all that good but they'd be a good way to learn how to play and what sort of style of play you like. They come with 5 (I think) boosters, so you'd still have the oppurtunity to open up some really rare cards.

I've been playing casually with a small group of friends since november and haven't spent more than $60 on the game.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 226x311) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 226x311
>>47245535
don't literally trash them
give them to some kids or sell/donate them to your lgs

>>47227458
Island sanctuary's kind of neat, especially if you have good draw power in your deck or just worry about nonflying creatures beating you down

I also like sphere of safety since it combos well with the amount pf enchants UW seems to drop
>>
>>47245650
oh, and propaganda obviously
>>
>>47245650
is there are card that changes your draw phase to lets say in main phase so you can still draw and only being damaged from flying, just spouting shit from my head
>>
I'd ask in Modern general but those guys can be pretty harsh.

I'm looking to build a budget control deck (Mono U), what are the best Counterspell cards for a budget? Like $3 or less a card
>>
>>47246389
Clash of wills, negate, dispel, mana leak, etc.
>>
File: best praetor.jpg (66 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
best praetor.jpg
66 KB, 312x445
>>47225376
>>
>>47224391
>... what's your favorite way to play casual MTG?
During the slower night shifts where I work, me and a coworker like to break out the Duel Decks or grid draft my pauper cube. I find that these produce more enjoyable games because the decks are more evenly matched than if we each brought our own constructed decks to the table. (I tend to crush him whenever that happens, even though I spend very little money on the hobby.)

>>47224426
Magic's a big enough game for everybody to have their own kind of fun with it. You just have to make sure that everybody at the table has the same power-level expectations.
>>
>>47246389
For some reason 'budget' is seen as a bad word outside of casual threads.

I guess it just comes with the territory of the hobby. It really annoys me that there's less than one constructed playable card per pack, according to them.
>>
>>47228069
I used to play Magic with my cousins and one of them had several of this card in a deck. We would all rage about how that deck was unbeatable (and we didn't even understand the ability properly). Once our grandma bought someone's old collection for us to split, and we all made sure to grab the Thorn Elementals first just to make sure he couldn't add any more to his deck.
>>
>>47237639
So, "so broken it'd be banned in vintage" is casual now?
>>
My little brother and I play magic a bunch, but our groups play separate formats, with me in current standard and him in modern.

We're both superfans of the Ravnica setting, so if I was to pick up a prerelease pack for each of us from Gatecrash and RTR, would that be balanced enough for us to play one another? He's seriously into Selesnya while I'm a hardcore Borosfag.
>>
File: sea.png (989 KB, 830x668) Image search: [Google]
sea.png
989 KB, 830x668
>>47225376

Big sea monsters are the best monsters
>>
>>47251895
I should point out that neither of us actually played in RTR block.
>>
>>47252060
Is there even any way to play a deck full of these kinds of creatures without using Quicksilver Amulet or splashing green? If anything deserves to be the face of Casual Magic, it's big blue creatures.
>>
>>47252744
I'm fairly sure that they're useful in the Teferi EDH deck, which is well-known as a green deck that somebody painted blue for shits, and it works well.
>>
>>47252744
high tide, playing in commander
>>
Who here is casual goblins?

Just grenade into grenade into grenade
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>>47252744
Quest for Ula's Temple maybe?

Inkwell Leviathan can be quickly put in with artifact ramp carrds (Vedalken Engineer, Etherium Sculptor & Grand Architect - all <1$ cards)

You can also make a classical mono blue control deck and use them as very sub-optimal win conditions.
>>
File: wide eyed tabby cat.jpg (34 KB, 787x523) Image search: [Google]
wide eyed tabby cat.jpg
34 KB, 787x523
>>47251895
Please respond.
>>
>>47251895

I don't have enough knowledge to answer that question, but if you are looking for some cheap casual Ravnika fun, you can try the Izzet vs. Golgari duel deck.
>>
>>47250709
When you go into competitive deckbuilding, you go in with the intention to win. This means you want to optimise your deck with the cards that collectively create what you think is the best way to win, and the best way to win in the presence of other highly optimised decks. As a result, budget unfortunately becomes a factor you cannot be limited by when building in a competitive environment.

UNLESS YOU'RE PLAYING PAUPER, PSYCH!
>>
>>47254090
Don't be silly, anon. Nobody plays Pauper competitively.
>>
>>47253955
We probably would have done that if we cared for either guild.

The intention is to either go prerelease packs or nothing, and the only worry is that there's a serious power disparity between RTR and Gatecrash.
>>
>playing against my friend who always beats me
>beat him
>he says it wasn't fun
feel bad
>>
>>47227670
1000 gorillion shekels
>>
>>47237639
omg, is it 2004 again?
>>
>>47252060
>Lorthos
you may be able to to cast him, but you'll propably never use his ability, I know I didn't
>>
File: PinguGyrate.gif (445 KB, 518x370) Image search: [Google]
PinguGyrate.gif
445 KB, 518x370
>>47251844
It was typical of the powerlevel of my casual group.

you don't need to play a pile to play casual.
>>
File: 161.jpg (66 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
161.jpg
66 KB, 312x445
>>47252744
>>
>>47254699
No, that's pretty much what casual means.
>>
File: Pingu.gif (75 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
Pingu.gif
75 KB, 267x200
>>47254729
only if your group is poor or unskilled.

Some of us just play for fun.
>>
>>47254797
not everyone needs a playset of mind sculptors or the power nine to have fun.

Some of us actually enjoy seeing Ash Zealot as the rarest card in a deck.
>>
For my playgroup we keep our decks to be modern legal and we never have cards that cost more than 1.5$ (rare cases someone buys a card that costs 1.99$). This way we keep decks similar in power (I am autistic enough to keep statistics about our games and all decks range from 45% to 55% winrates)
>>
File: Nepmemes.png (26 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Nepmemes.png
26 KB, 200x200
>>47254902
Then don't complain that my fun is different from yours.
>>
File: image.gif (184 KB, 278x285) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
184 KB, 278x285
>mfw I just built something similar to this deck

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-02-16-pZr-land-destruction/
>>
>>47246389
essence scatter will counter creatures, and negate will counter everything else
>>
>>47251844
Lol no, that IS a vintage deck fucktard
>>
>>47246389
>>47259275
Take Nullify over Essence Scatter.
>>
i've been doing draft simulations so i'm not such a total dunce next time

i realize drawing the planeswalker was lucky, but how is this list?

1 Insolent Neonate
1 Thraben Inspector
1 Moorland Drifter
1 Bloodmad Vampire
1 Cathar's Companion
1 Convicted Killer
1 Inquisitor's Ox
4 Inspiring Captain
1 Nearheath Chaplain
2 Pyre Hound
1 Lightning Axe
1 Expose Evil
1 Nahiri's Machinations
1 Puncturing Light
1 Angelic Purge
2 Uncaged Fury
1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
1 Reduce to Ashes
1 Descend upon the Sinful
2 Stone Quarry
8 Plains
6 Mountain
>>
maybe you guys can help me
>bought my first cards in '94 in elementary school
>casually played with a friend and my brother
>stopped playing
>cut to '03
>become friends with a bunch of people that play at LCS and kitchen table games
>hang out and watch a few times
>shocked at how radically different it is
>dig out my old cards
>bring them for these wise people to access
>no anon, most of these are illegal
>someone offers me $300 for the set
>because i was a dumb teenager i accept immediately
>prettysureigotrobbed.jpeg
>cut to now
>at my job many people play
>want to get back into it

it doesn't seem like they have any rules, but i can't really tell. how does casual work between "strangers?" if two people both have a deck on them and say "let's play," what rules do they use? what kind of deck should I build to casually jump into pretty much any game?
I thought about buying a couple of those prebuilt duel decks, or one of those custom decks off Amazon just to jump back in.
thoughts? sorry it feels like I'm rambling
>>
>>47266741
Between strangers, just agree to a couple simple rules.

>what format do you prefer if anything?
>how do you want to deal with mulligans? Regular rules? Friendly?
>do we want to play combo meme decks or just play legit decks
>>
>>47266741
ask them about it!
they might have their own rules about deckbuilding/buying singles etc.
>>
>>47266802
>>47266795
I'm afraid it'll be like in highschool where they'll make up their own broken rules or say my cards are illegal and laugh about it when I'm not around. i think I'm going to dl that planewalker duel thing on steam and just emulate those rules in real life
>>
>>47266875
Look up the legacy and modern banlists, and dont play with them if they do that. A bad acquaintence is no acquaintence at all
>>
>>47266887
>>47266802
>>47266795
thanks for the help, guys
>>
>>47253202
Quest for Ula's Temple is loads of fun. Stuff your deck with cheap blue creatures that scry or index, then have Squadron Leviathan* which can grab four Inkwells.
*I don't remember it's actual name. Grozoth? It's from dimir and tutors up cards with the same CMC. And has defender that you can pay to ignore for a turn.
>>
>>47224426
Troll or not, you are the reason mtg has a bad rep and is full of so many shitheads.
>>
File: 1460933398460.jpg (1 MB, 2925x490) Image search: [Google]
1460933398460.jpg
1 MB, 2925x490
>that guy who brings his monored chaos deck to magic night
>>
What are the best sleeves for MtG size cards?

Ultra Pro Matte are out of stock in my usual shops so I'm wondering if they're even in production any more.
>>
>>47269648
I usually use the UltraPro Pro Matte, but because the clear part is glazed, I decided to buy Dragon Shield for my EDH deck. I think I'll keep buying Dragon Shield.
>>
>>47269648
>>47271076
I dislike Dragon Shield because so far most of the sleeves curves and Dragon Shield is way too stiff to they end up curling the cards. I'm, as a result, a KMC Hyper Mat guy, even if the sleeves do tend to rip more easily than Dragon Shield.
>>
Biggest creature combo ever?
>Playing EDH with distant friends online
>Playing a shitty progenitus deck that does nearly nothing for the first few turns.
>Play primidorial hydra for 2 (4) counters with doubling season in play, nobody cares since one guy has been raping everyone with etb damage all opponents enchantments.
>Someone plays a card that makes a player put target creature into their library, shuffle, and put the top card into play.
>Copies it and targets my hydra.
>But salty, but shuffle and play top card
>Ulamog, the infinite gyre.
>My turn, play eldrazi conscription on it and swing at the big guy.
>He sacs his tokens and takes some trample.
>Next guy's turn and he plays something, takes control of Ulamog, and attacks the same guy again, knocking him out.
>My next turn I nearly double cast increasing savagery for 30 +1/+1 counters, but gets countered. So I pass.
>My turn again, draw chromanticore and bestow him on Ulamog, who is now a 24/24 flying, vigilance, trample, haste, lifelink, annihilator 6.
>End up winning.
>>
>>47269648
Kmc hypermats are pretty great and surprisingly durable, yet they have sharp edges.

Pro mattes are the best ultra pro sleeves, but they still rip pretty easily. Comfortable, but loose.

Dragon shields will never break ever and are made of adamantium, yet they are slippery out of the box and can get rough around the edges. Best color variety though.
>>
What would you name this deck?

It is:
>blue, green, white mana
>built with a goal is to prevent opponent from blocking and swinging with mid-strength creatures to nail them down consistently and prevent threats from casting
>>
>>47271368
It's not the sleeves that are bending. It's the cards. Dragon Should and KMC are the best sleeves on the market and come down to preference. I prefer dragon shields cause of the box ( I take clear plastic deck boxes and put the sleeve box inside that). I just wish they had perfect fits like KMC does
>>
>>47271725
The WUG color combination is called bant. That particular strategy is usually called turbofog or pillowfort depending on the specific cards you're using to accomplish that goal.
>>
>>47224426
the fuck?

your behavior and ultimatum about "play competitively or go home" is far closer to the detrimental effect of murderhoboing, than playing casually
>>
>>47272205
the fuck?

your behaviour in response to a bait post is ridiculous, and you should feel ashamed for falling for it
>>
>>47272264
yeah, I was telling him to be more subtle
>>
>>47227707
Just as >>47231731 said, you should find a theme for your decks.
I like making borderline competitive decks with some flavor.
It's always around an Idea, Lore, Race, Creature, Mechanic.
You can even build thinking on making Duel Decks.
You can set Challenges for yourself like: Win swinging with Wood Elemental and so forth.
>>
>tfw been playing standard for a while
>deck not totally budget but can use better cards
>don't want to waste 200 euros on 4 fucking jaces
>friend is tired too so we decided to make a casual deck
>have a really great time

I'm probably going to quit standard and start playing Pauper
Also someone has a good decklist of a tribal rebel deck? Casual of course
>>
>>47253202
mititioc manipulation and retraced image
Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.