[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are you not entertained?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 11
File: gladiators.jpg (170 KB, 1200x888) Image search: [Google]
gladiators.jpg
170 KB, 1200x888
want to GM a arena/tournament type campaign
should the players be free participants
slave fighters that belong to me
or other patrons and each control a team of slaves
anyone have experience doing anything like this?
>>
Gladiatrix Quest?
>>
File: gladiators 2.jpg (328 KB, 1060x1500) Image search: [Google]
gladiators 2.jpg
328 KB, 1060x1500
>>47119889
was that an example to look for or something you're trying to start?
>>
>>47119842
>want to GM a arena/tournament type campaign
Neato burrito

>should the players be free participants
Free participants is fine as long as they have a reason to keep fighting to the death instead of fucking off to go steal a boat and be pirates.

>slave fighters that belong to me
Slaves are good. Seems in theme with the genre
Character death should be accepted and prepared for with backups.
>to me
You mean an npc, right?
Or, do you catan?

>or other patrons and each control a team of slaves
This is actually more interesting.
A friend was developing a game that tried to do something similar.
You either need a system built for it, or design/use a resource management system for the patron promoting, financing, and equipping their team.
Each player could try to get exclusive deals with blacksmiths, slave traders, venues, and wealthy benefactors.
You could play a campaign of competitive tournaments at different venues, each player vying for fame and fortune.
I have no idea if a promoter-like resource management system already exists that can be modded.
Then, for actual combat, each player runs the fighter as a character in the combat system of your choice.

>anyone have experience doing anything like this?
Not a bit.
I read a greentext story of a That GM that made the players watch him roll the combat for the 13 battles they were not part of, for authenticity.
Don't do that.
Have npc teams fighting each other win by one roll or fiat.
And, watch the first two seasons of Spartacus.
>>
>>47121921
>You mean an npc, right?
potato tomato

i know Exalted has some rules to govern a city/nation
maybe it can be adapted?
>>
>>47122053
>potato tomato
I just wanted to make my catan joke. Heh

>i know Exalted has some rules to govern a city/nation
>maybe it can be adapted?
Perhaps. I imagine the big thing would be building relationships, manipulating positions of power, and handling resources and less building infrastructure.
But, then I don't know.
>>
File: Pages from Dragon Magazine #303.png (2 MB, 1171x1617) Image search: [Google]
Pages from Dragon Magazine #303.png
2 MB, 1171x1617
I got you.
>>
>>47122166
>>
File: 1459629166636.png (645 KB, 1400x1050) Image search: [Google]
1459629166636.png
645 KB, 1400x1050
>Gladiatrices
This makes me wonder if some Romans trained them purely to fuel their fetish. Imagine a young Roman patrician using his extravagant wealth to buy hundreds of Amazonian warriors captured from the conquered tribe du jour, pitting them all against eachother in long and brutal tournaments, hiring retired soldiers to drill the gladiatrices into fighting machines and having them kill eachother until only one remains. Now imagine him waifing his mindbroken, unquestionably loyal and fiercely protective musclegirl barbarian waifu.

Now let it sink in that hundreds died for one man's magical realm.
>>
>>47122212
That's just your magical realm really.
Roman gladiators rarely fought to the death, and women never did.

Also, please, never post again.
>>
>>47122212
This is why the Romans conquered the world, anon
>>
File: gladiator match.jpg (58 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
gladiator match.jpg
58 KB, 800x600
>>47122165
well with an influence system one would have to balance between dice rolls and role playing
>why should i invest in your combatants, citizen?
>because they be the best (nat 20)
it'd be interesting to see if they'd (the players) would work out fixing fights or see what'll happen when i do it

>>47122191
will take a look

>>47122248
you mean this image isn't historically accurate?
>>
>>47122338
>That guy isn't using a whip and wearing a leather thong
There go his chances of winning. Then again, he technically counts as a faceless old man so he could end up besting the virginal little girl.
>>
>>47122248
Didn't the romans have to pass a law against women above a certain social standing becoming becoming gladiators?
>>
File: 1428763255315.jpg (208 KB, 576x612) Image search: [Google]
1428763255315.jpg
208 KB, 576x612
Just in general, if you're going to do an arena/tournament campaign, make sure that your players want to do a lot of/nothing but fighting. It'll be hard to work any other story around pitfighting or tournaments.

Free participants is good, because it gives them an excuse to buy more stuff, but they might not stick around the arena then. But slavery means there's no excuse to get new items or equipment.
>>
File: 1428143741871.jpg (148 KB, 640x905) Image search: [Google]
1428143741871.jpg
148 KB, 640x905
>>47122212
All I know is that were a few odd accounts of female gladiators, but they seemed to usually fight animals, not people.

At least one was said to have fought topless though.
>>
>>47119842
When ever someone bring up gladiatorial competion, my mind goes directly to Darksun. I don't know why, but I think it has to do with one the CRPG's TSR made for it.
>>
File: gladiator loli.jpg (79 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
gladiator loli.jpg
79 KB, 500x625
>>47122603
>But slavery means there's no excuse to get new items or equipment
there's the role play aspect of downtime between matches
who's the best? who can be trusted? will you try to escape? why not accept the paterfamilias wife's advances? etc.

>>47122387
>a faceless old man so he could end up besting the virginal little girl
old men > loli
wut?
>>
>>47122212
Gladiatrices rarely fought men. When they did it was never a death match, which even then were incredibly rare amongst men. For the most part they either fought each other or animals.

But they fight for the emperor's dick in my magical realm
>>
I wish there was a good gladiator minis game. Best I've seen is RSBS, but it didn't really do it for me.

Haven't checked out Jugula though. Maybe should.
>>
>>47122603
Gladiators, especially low level ones, where often bodyguards and frequently involved in skullduggery.

High tier where literally superstars though.
>>
>>47119842
have you considered pokemon?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.