[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Game General - /bgg/: Over-rated British Comedians Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: 71iOd9jU9RL._SL1169_.jpg (175 KB, 744x1169) Image search: [Google]
71iOd9jU9RL._SL1169_.jpg
175 KB, 744x1169
Here, have a pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/PkAVzU3T

>What was the most fun you had playing plebshit?

>What's that one game from your childhood that you still kinda like, even though it was clearly dogshit?

>What's your favourite British board game?
>>
When I was 14 or 15, I felt pretty shitty after a rough day at school, so (after some prompting from Mum), my little brother asked me if I wanted to play Risk. Also, my little brother and I played Monopoly with our granddad in the back garden, under the big tree. I still have those games somewhere.
>What's that one game from your childhood that you still kinda like, even though it was clearly dogshit?
Snuggly Bugs. It's basically babby's first Carcassonne, but I played it with my future niece-in-law, and she seemed to like it.
You mean the designer, or the subject matter...? Either way, it's Ankh Morpork.
>>
>>47064500
I think Miniature Market does something along those lines. I've never tried it so I don't know how it works
>>47066041
You forgot the link back to >>47003072 last general
>game from childhood I still like
Uh... Asshole? (We called it Asteroid tho)
>fave British board game
I think it's Keyflower but honestly I can't think of any others
>>
File: Oi-shutup-and-buy-my-game.jpg (24 KB, 250x300) Image search: [Google]
Oi-shutup-and-buy-my-game.jpg
24 KB, 250x300
>>47066041
I've been meaning to buy / read that book OP, thanks for reminding me.

>>What was the most fun you had playing plebshit?
UNO / Parker Bros / Milton Bradly shiz from when I was a kid. My brother and Mom would play games and we'd have a good time.

>>What's that one game from your childhood that you still kinda like, even though it was clearly dogshit?
2nd Edition Talisman from college. Yeah, it's got a lot that's wrong with it, but it's still something my group plays for the hell of it once in a while.

>>What's your favorite British board game?

I'm... I'm not sure. Though I'd wager a guess it was probably designed by some chap who looked like pic related..
>>
>>47067650
It is actually a pretty good book. The penultimate was really unexpected, but it's a really fun read overall.
>>
Just ordered XenoShyft, did I do good?
probably going to pledge for the new set next month if I really like it.
>>
Just got pic related, what I'm in for?
>>
There was this game we use to play with regular deck of cards. We played in pairs and at least one of had to make a set. Then make a secret sign to our partner and the partner would declare our victory or if our opponents noticed the sign before our partner, they could call us out and win. It was a lot of fun back then.
>What's that one game from your childhood that you still kinda like, even though it was clearly dogshit? Chess? It's not dogshit, but it's kind of obsolete. But I still have a soft spot for it, since I played it a lot as a kid in the school chess club.

You mean Euro? S-splendor? Lords of Waterdeep? I still kind of new to the hobby, 2 and a half years. I played Catan once and don't need to play it ever again.
>>
>>47069476
FUN
>>
File: 1462318669210.png (298 KB, 589x678) Image search: [Google]
1462318669210.png
298 KB, 589x678
>>47069676
Awww yeah, I FUCKING LOVE FUN
>>
>>47069476
Splendor is a phenomenal mind crunch where you and your friends will refuse to talk to each other for 30 minutes until someone wins and you all curse in joy.

ONUW is without a doubt one of the best games I've ever played, always a riot for a party. Only gets better with the expansion.

Tokaido is more like a toy, to be enjoyed for what it is and not to win.

But yes.
FUN.
In a poor attempt to get some help in relation to a board game, what do you anons do to make Talisman more enjoyable? I already have an expansion or two with it, so I figure I should play it at least a couple more times before pawning it. I hear Reaper helps with the lack of player interaction, and Dragon speeds up the game by making everything more power. I hear people also place cards out from the deck instead of having people draw.
>>
My group just acquired Forbidden Stars and I'm just now going through the rules.

I was wondering if other people who have played it have any thoughts on the game.
>>
File: 1459322620811.jpg (54 KB, 418x538) Image search: [Google]
1459322620811.jpg
54 KB, 418x538
>>47069883
>what do you anons do to make Talisman more enjoyable?
Put it back in the box and play a different game.
>>
>tfw just discovered the neuroshima hex app
This is awesome. I've spent my entire day in this thing...
>>
>>47070042
It's a very interesting game, presents some good tactical puzzles, but be prepared for a long haul for your first game. Especially if you're going for 3-4 players. It starts to compete with twilight imperium for playtime at that point.
>>
>>47066041

I'm tired to just pretend I shitposted about a popular eurogame here.

13 Dead End Drive was a cross between Dead of Winter and Mousetrap that took longer to set up than to play and had way more tiny pieces than its intended audience could keep track of.

*googles british board games*

I like Clue.
>>
>>47070381
I've played Talisman with my friend twice and both times only one of us was having fun. The first time I got the dark witch? I think? Whichever evil magic lady is totally bullshit and auto-win.

The second time I was the ogre and this time he was winning, but I ragequit and I still feel like a dick over it.
>>
>>47070513
>It starts to compete with twilight imperium for playtime at that point.
... After finishing the "basic play" rules I'm not seeing how that's possible.
Ah, wait. First game. Yeah, fumbling about due to rules is a possibility.
The game does seem rather straightforward to me, for now.
>>
>>47070648
Combat is sloooooow.
>>
>>47070648
The game is extremely AP inducing. Take it from experience, budget at least an hour per player, if not a 1:15.
>>
>>47069599
keum's !
>>
>>47070443
Now buy all the factions and try to establish an infinite loop with Doomsday for the win.
>>
File: IMG_20160503_233257.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160503_233257.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
Just got these in tonight. My first decent sized order of games
>>
>>47072023
>Portal won't sell Doomsday Machine army
fuck them
>>
>>47072700
>Netrunner core set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=535Zy_rf4NU
>>
>>47073115
I actually played the CCG back in the day. I've wanted to get the Core set for a long time. Really glad I did
>>
>>47073272
The CCG had a lot of really great stuff going on, and some days I even prefer the old artstyle. It had some serious problems in the deckbuilding rules though. I've been super impressed with the LCG and even more impressed with how pleasant and fun the game's community is.
>>
>>47066041
board games are for nerds lol
>>
>>47073405
look at this terrorist
look how problematic he is
look how triggered i am
>>
>>47069476
3 out of 4 of those I would play anytime, any day of the week. Tokaido is...I guess accessible, and a well-designed game, if a bit slow and not the most exhilarating to play. I would play it again...sparingly
>>47069599
FYI
>Splendor
French
>LoW
American
>Catan
German
>>47072700
The Netrunner general seems to think Netrunner is dying. Not that this matters for casual play just worth mentioning
Never heard of Isle of Trains
>Gencon pass
Neat
>>
>>47072700
>Isle of Trains
After seeing the OneTar review last week I've been tempted by this, come back with a full report after you've gotten it to the table anon.

>>47073501
>Tokaido
I think it's best compared to stuff like Morels, or the old Kosmos 2p line, it's a pleasant experience game, but not something you want to break out nightly.

>Gencon pass
That's likely an advert about how Coolstuff is doing more at the show this year (previously just a big CCG booth and a small board game booth with 70% being a ding/dent clearance). Event registration for Gencon is a week from Sunday and ticket packs won't be mailed out til late June/early July.
>>
>>47073382
Yeah I loved the old art style. The cyberpunk theme is a lot of fun, especially how gritty they can make it. I'm really enjoying going through all of the cards.
>>47073501
I don't mind that it's "dying". It seems that there are enough expansions and addons to keep my interest for a while.
>Gencon pass
Oops, I hate to break it to you, but that was a promo that came in the box from Coolstuffinc. It definitely could come off as a real one from the angle it's sitting.
I saw Isle of Trains in a Rahdo run through and picked it up for ~$6. It seems like a lot of fun in a small package
>>
>>47073501
The netrunner general has been saying the game is dying for the past three years. Numbers have maybe deflated a little from peak, but the game's not going anywhere anytime soon.
>>
>>47073601
I'll definitely follow up on how Isle of Trains plays. I'm taking Codenames, Age of War, and Isle of Trains to a friend's tomorrow to play some games
>>
>>47069392
i heard you should use the new rules with the original set to make game less swingey
>>
File: 9001-hrs-in-ms-paint.jpg (84 KB, 635x268) Image search: [Google]
9001-hrs-in-ms-paint.jpg
84 KB, 635x268
Second time playing Munchkin with my (at the time) gf and friend. Ex-gf got so into the game her cheeks got red she extremely excited, constantly fidgeting etc.

Definately a fond memory.
Magic: the Gathering
I'll be blasted to oblivion by this
British Imperium 3
>>
>>47076476
>I'll be blasted to oblivion by this
No one here likes MtG. Hell, Richard Stallman said it was obsolete barely a few years after he started it.
>>
File: install-gentoo.jpg (19 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
install-gentoo.jpg
19 KB, 500x281
>>47070648
I don't know how it compares to StarCraft time wise but a 6 player game in StarCraft can easily take 4-5hrs. It gets better with less players or when all players git gud but you're looking at 3hrs minimum.
>>47076495
> Richard Stallman
KEK
>>
>>47066041
>plebshit fun
Guess Who and Monopoly with my cousins were a lot of fun, grownups let me play Rummikub with them.

>childhood game I still like
Dungeon makes me fuzzy inside

>favourite bongistani pastime
GW stuff, probably. Blood Bowl, WHFB, Space Hulk, Necromunda.
>>
>>47072968
Huh?
http://portalgames.pl/sklep/pl/neuroshima-hex-3.0--doomsday-machine-72.p.html
>>
>>47076537
Guess he means it's not included in the core set. Z-man had Doomsday, Portal axed it.
>>
>>47076495
I think the color allies/enemies pentagram is still a clever design. Game may be bloated and barely what it was when it came out, but it was pretty solid back then
>>
>>47076551
Fair enough, didn't know that.

The Polish version (so the Portal one) only comes with the 4 base armies: Moloch, Borgo, Outpost, Hegemony. Haven't bothered getting any other armies yet.
>>
>>47070042
It's pretty good, played several times and had lots of fun even though I never won.

Try and make sure everyone knows or at least reads over the rules before playing your first game, it'll make things a lot smoother.
>>
>>47076594
Originally, what's now blue was supposed to be split between blue and purple.
>>
>>47076597
I got lucky and found a great deal. Z-man 3.0 core set, 2.0 Babylon 13, Duel and Dancer bundle.
Doomsday is real strong, Neojungle is my favorite, Vegas are a pain in the ass.
Gonna get Uranopolis, Sharrash and Mississippi soon.
>>
>>47076764
Yeah, unfortunately Portal seems to be kind of slow about putting out English rules versions of their new stuff for Hex. :(
>>
>>47072968
Is this on the app? Cuz they were def available two years ago, and by that point the physical game had already switched publishers...
>>
>>47076764
You need to get Steel Police as well. Mississippi is a blast stacking poison.
>>
>>47076594
I always thought they got that from Master of Magic.
>>
help me out, I have a 20% off coupon at my FLGS that expires tomorrow, what board game should I buy?

>Lords of Waterdeep is family favorite
>We also play a lot of Betrayal at House on the Hill
>Trying to get them to play YEDO more

Considering Cacassone and Power Grid right now, what do you guys think?
>>
>>47078440
Power Grid is probably *the* Euro game. So it depends if you like euros.

Don't have any opinions on Carcassone but I heard it is "meh".
>>
>>47078440
>20% off
Of MSRP? Or off of a discounted price? 20% off MSRP is really minor and insignificant unless you don't live in the US. You can get games directly shipped to you for 33% off MSRP from Amazon, CSI, MM, Cardhaus etc if you live in the states.

If you're dead set on using it then I'd grab a Fantasy Flight or Days of Wonder game, as they're dictating a 25% discount max for online sellers.

But that's all predicated on you giving a shit about saving a maximum of $10. If you don't, then buy something you want.
>>
>>47078493
Well, if I spend another $100 at this store I get a free booster box
>>
>>47078539
An entire box? Jesus christ. That's like $80 right there, assuming it's from a modern set.

Shit nigga, if you actually care about Magic then that's a steal.

So you like euros? I could second Power Grid. I might also recommend Castles of Burgundy. CoB is a little heavier and fiddlier than the games you listed but it is, to me, the quintessential medium euro.

Broom Service is another I would recommend. It's a euro, but it almost has this party game feel to it. The brave/cowardly system is just genius and plays on your emotions perfectly. It's also fairly light and very family friendly.
>>
>>47078539
>>47078584
Alternatively, if you want something bigger to spend the coupon on (it's worth more the more the game costs after all) you could nab a heavy euro like Terra Mystica or Caverna or Orleans: Deluxe Edition. Those are big, heavy games so buyer beware, but they're fantastic if you like that sort of thing.

Dipping into ameritrash land, Kemet is a war game that feels almost like a euro but not quite and it's on the more expensive side. Fantastic game, never seen someone dislike it.
>>
>>47078493
>If you're dead set on using it then I'd grab a Fantasy Flight or Days of Wonder game, as they're dictating a 25% discount max for online sellers.
There's no MAP, they just knocked the wholesale price up 10% so online sellers have all pulled back from the 30-40% they were at to 25%.
>>
File: IMAG0217.jpg (840 KB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0217.jpg
840 KB, 2592x1728
>>47078636
For some reason I can't discern people that usually don't like board games even like it.

I've had chicks you'd never see playing tactical game just eat it up.

If you have cheat sheets for the tiles and powers DI cards you can really get everyone started in 5 minutes. It usually takes my that long to explain everything.

At the same time it's a really great/deep game with a lot of going on and several ways to victory.

It's uncanny.
>>
>>47078744
>that pic
Absolutely fantastic. I need to make some of those now...
Good point on the handout. We've only been playing with the one that comes in the game, and frankly it sucks because it's always in use.
>>
>>47078744
Yeah, kemet is just ridiculously good.
Only similar game I enjoy better is Rex, and that's largely because of the (in my head) Dune theme and amount of hidden information and politics.
>>
>>47069883

We play it when we want to drink and talk. It's a good game for catching up with friends you haven't seen in a while.
>>
>>47070042

My group likes it. I feel like it doesn't play well at 4 players. Just too slow with all the players. Also, don't play it with people that don't usually play large games.
>>
File: IMAG0218.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0218.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1728
>>47078761
I also made ones for the players. Well sans one because it doesn't fit to the box - with 3 power trays and 4 player trays everything "mostly" fits to the box (the top doesn't come all the way to the bottom of the box) but getting the game setup takes almost no time now.
>>
>>47078892
I also made them a little bit too big because I knew an expansion was coming but didn't know what exactly would be in the box.
>>
>>47072700

Codenames is fun and you can play it with most anyone
>>
File: Makruk.jpg (58 KB, 400x202) Image search: [Google]
Makruk.jpg
58 KB, 400x202
I've been learning Makruk, the chess variant played in Thailand. It is the national variant closest to the original game of Chaturanga that came out of India/Persia in the first millennium. Best place to play it online is PlayOK.com

Setup and moves are like chess, but 1) kings on d1,e8; pawns on 3rd ranks 2) queens are weak: one square diagonal only like chaturanga's Ferz 3) bishops are the same, but also move one square forward (like shogi silver general), 4) pawns only promote to the Ferz.

Lack of queens and bishops makes the opening move more slowly, and you go straight into a maneuvering endgame. Piece strength is Rook > Horse >= Silver > Ferz >= Pawn.
>>
So, instead of teaching my wife Twilight Struggle or playing it with my friend, we play Grizzled on Hard mode and take it. Three player is just really easy.

But then, THEN, she wants to bring out Catan.
>its been a while anon
>yea, and I hate it. Sick of 20 minutes going by and my 8 or 6 that I chose so carefully never came up. No thank you
>that was just one time, husband-o, it won't be like that
>she goes the first 14 turns without getting a single resource
>she is beside 5s, 6s, 8s, and 4s

All parties agree that, yup, just like three dragon ante, it is more the memories of it being good rather than the reality. Tonight we are supposed to resume that twilight struggle tutorial for her.
>>
>>47079194
Kind of hurts my feelings that she wanted to play Catan and got burned so hard by it
>>
>>47079215
We found it highly amusing. Wound up being a close game, but I was tearing through dev cards and got 3 vp cards. I had won several turns before I built for city for the "tenth" point, but I had completely forgotten I had a settlement at the other end of the island.
>>
All my coworkers play after work is tokaido, it's so boring.
>>
>>47079274
I'll still play it if people ask for it, which is a rare occurrence nowadays.
This friend of mine and his wife bought it immediately after the first time I brought it over and they overplayed it to the point of never wanting to play any game ever again.
>>
What do you guys do for a living?
How much do you spend monthly in the hobby?
>>
>>47080595
>occupation
being a biologist isn't paying the bills atm

>spending
both too much and not enough
>>
>>47080595
I was a student for the longest time, and now I work part time at costco while figuring out what to do with my life (go back to school? try for city office jobs? improve my french?). thank god my wife works for the feds in native health. With canada's politics, that department isn't losing money any time soon.

Of course, there is the issue that I am the one buying board games and accessories, not her. Lucky for me, I get at least 2 board games a year as birthday/x-mas gifts.

spending, even though its only about 1 game every 2-3 months, is still 40-70 dollars I REALLY shouldn't be wasting. And of course, plaid had has to release their last batch of summoner wars decks all at once. 8x 10-12 dollars us, not including shipping. Why must they tempt me sooo.
>>
>>47080595
working from home doing IT making decent money, I've been spending quite a fair amount rapidly expanding my collection which has been helped by selling over a grand worth of MTG cards over the past six months, but now I need to focus on repaying a personal debt that I promised to pay in full by the end of the year so I'll probably be spending $250 tops a month, which being an ausfag and getting assfucked by international shipping for anything OOP and/or not mainstream (I sure love paying $71 USD shipping for all Pixel Tactics games) isn't really much in reality

on the plus side, I can focus more on playing my older purchases more often. I'm also taking a greatly needed week-long break from work so I've been playing at my friend's LGS with him during quieter periods for the past few days. I had a feeling Duel of Ages II would be one of my top 3 games based on reading reviews, the PDFs and one play of the first tutorial a few months back, and playing that the past three days with him on Monday and yesterday and another friend of mine today proved that. Finally had time to sit down tonight after my friend left to figure out how to play Titan by playing as two players, really surprised at how elegantly it plays in spite of half of the game being a roll-to-move game where you barely have any say on your movement pattern. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow or Friday
>>
>>47080595
Software developer. I'm spending like $100 a month, I have a mortgage and car payments so basically that takes a lot of my income out. I'm pretty satisfied with that amount since I don't want to be buying more games without playing the ones I already have.
>>
>>47080595
Working in social media marketing part-time.

I only recently got into the hobby in January so I haven't been spending for long. I've so far spent about $300 in games though. I really need to cut back.
>>
>>47080595
Research Engineer for a university.

I try to keep it to around $100 so I can build up savings. It easier now that FF/ANA has made themselves easy to hate.
>>
>>47080595
ME in the auto industry

100 I would guess, magic is expensive
>>
>>47080595
"Between jobs" is the nicest way to put it - I earn some cash reading to a registered blind lady in her mid-80's, but I'm saving that for the next local con.

I use to spend about 40 a month, but I've cut it back down to 20 again. I'm trying to get a reasonably priced copy of the new Star Wars Risk - everyone's trying to hawk it for 30+
>>
>>47082168
>reading to a registered blind lady in her mid-80's
You know what the next book must be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkLqAlIETkA
>>
>>47082277
It's mostly just her personal correspondence, and maybe some family history stuff.

Incidentally, does anybody know of any good games that blind people could play? She hasn't expressed an interest in gaming, but it'd be nice to have something on offer if she does.
>>
>>47082467
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
>>
>>47082548
What if she's the Seer?
>>
>>47082633
Add braille to the cards.
>>
File: batman-i-see.jpg (206 KB, 954x897) Image search: [Google]
batman-i-see.jpg
206 KB, 954x897
>>47080595
Programmer/analys forking from home.

Back of the envelope calculation says $150/month which tells me I should probably stop buying shit right now. I didn't even count the table I bought specially for gaming for a fuck-o-ton of money.

I make $4k/month before taxes so that's quite a big of chunk of money.

Holy shit.
>>
Anyone here ever had a Kickstarter?
>>
>>47083463
Like ran one or bought into one?

No on the former, many times on the latter.
>>
>>47080595
Run my own personal chef/catering business, spend almost nothing each month on games, and then blowing my entire yearly budget on 2-3 cons.

>>47082168
>"Between jobs" is the nicest way to put it
I know the feel anon, it'll get better soon

>>47082467
http://www.64ouncegames.com/

They make braille sleeves for a lot of different games.
>>
File: 1462395831880201114268.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1462395831880201114268.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Finally wo my first game of twilight struggle. Only took 5 attempts. Was nervous the whole time despite taking some early territorial gains as the reds and never relinquishing the lead. All it would take would be a few terrible events and things could have spiraled out of control (luckily I scored 12 points in round 4 with salt negotiations as held card to try again turn 5 if need be).

The stress this games causes, my god is it so unfair but amazing.
>>
>>47080595
Printing & scanning software.... guy.

I spend probably on average $50 a month.
>>
>>47083629
Ran one. My parents are suggesting I genuinely try to create and sell a board game. They say they'd be willing to invest.
>>
considering buying agricola - is it a fun one?
>>
>>47085584
Yeah. Personal pref on Caverna though.
>>
>>47084897
Cool! I also want to try my hand in creating a game or starting up a board game cafe. Good luck to you, fellow entrepreneur!

Anyways, I helped plan an Indiegogo campaign for a non-profit. Unfortunately, it wasn't successful. If you need tips on how to be successful, there's a lot of resources out there.

Here are my 2 cents:

1) You should build up a strong (not necessarily large) following before starting the campaign. Crowdfunding campaigns are often successful because the supporting community is willing and able to share the campaign through their own networks and engage others to support the campaign. Trying to build up a supportive following in the middle of a campaign can be very difficult and is just a waste of time since your campaign is already limited by time. Make sure you're already in a decent position *before* launching a crowdfunding campaign.

2) Make sure you have the logistics of printing your game and shipping it out LOCKED DOWN. I've seen several successful campaigns crash and burn because they were not prepared for all of the shipping charges or building costs associated with producing their product. It sounds like a no-brainer but it can be easy to get swept away by all the support only to realize that you still need money to do anything.
>>
>>47073601
Ok so just got done playing a few rounds of Isle of Trains. Overall, it's a really simple game to pick up quickly. The interaction such as drawing cards by loading you your opponents train cars is a lot of fun. It's also a ton of fun building a big train and there is a lot of good card interaction to try and get more points. I do feel like some of the buildings are weak or bland, but there aren't very many in the game. You tend to cycle through the deck pretty fast. I do wish it was a bit larger. But overall it's a fast, fun little game.
>>
File: neuroshimahexsteelpolice.jpg (72 KB, 388x500) Image search: [Google]
neuroshimahexsteelpolice.jpg
72 KB, 388x500
So my local board game store was selling a copy of Neuroshima Hex 3.0 and it came with the Steel Police expansion pack taped onto the side. I didn't realize that the expansion is for NH 2.0 though.

Is there any difference between Steel Police in 2.0 and 3.0?
>>
>>47087335
To the best of my knowledge all of the everything in NH is compatible across all the versions except for Doomsday Machine which got a revised version cause the first one was bonkers nuts broken. The only difference between the versions are art and rules; all the components are cross compatible.
>>
File: myrmes march of the ants.jpg (775 KB, 1024x1553) Image search: [Google]
myrmes march of the ants.jpg
775 KB, 1024x1553
Which is the better ant game?
>>
>>47087440
That's good to hear. It's sort of off-putting to see the different artwork, but it's great to have a functional sixth army. The NH 3.0 box I got has Doomsday Machine in it too.
>>
Holy shit Viticulture Automata is a bitch. Must have played close to ten games today before finally taking a win with double tokens. That said it's a great solo experience.
>>
>>47083463
>>47084897
I would strongly warn against self-publishing especially through kick-starter.

It's insanely tough to do everything yourself.

Please consider at going to a publisher to discuss publishing the game with.

Take a look here (go to 27:11) and deal with some of the tough questions to think about when considering a self-publishing thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89NpYu5Q-RE
>>
File: 1450117999539.jpg (134 KB, 500x730) Image search: [Google]
1450117999539.jpg
134 KB, 500x730
>>47082929
Oh shit I know that life bro. Spent the whole day playing board games since we're near end of dev cycle and there's nearly jack shit to do except paperwork. Living the dream.
>>
>>47089767
Not sure how viable a tactic it is for board game creators, but crowdfunding campaigns can also be used as a marketing tool to gauge the demand for your product.

If you pitch to a publisher and they're not really sold on the game performing well in the market, you may be able to negotiate utilizing a crowdfunding platform to demonstrate its value.

That said, publisher support is always good. Unless your game is just a card game then you might be able to wing it.
>>
>>47089803
Well that never happened to me there's always always something to at work - I'm working for a startup so paperwork is minimal. The projects are interesting though, so can't complain.
>>
>>47091225
>>47089767
Thanks. Going to a company was my first thought, to be honest.
>>
>>47096108
Good luck! What's your game idea btw?

I was toying with the idea of doing something Dungeon Keeper-y. But I'm not sure if there is already a game out that's like that.
>>
>>47088049

Myrmes is a good eurogame and is surprisingly thematic for a eurogame but it's no simulation.

March has more combat and randomness, but I've only read the rules. From how it appears, it's also not really a simulation -- you don't develop your own colony and your ants mutate rapidly to develop new powers. An area control game with a vague ant theme.

Myrmes can be played at http://www.boiteajeux.net; it's worth playing.
>>
>>47097638
I'm really interested in Myrmes, but I'm at work now so can't play it. What is the best number of people to play with?
>>
File: 1462234195185.jpg (88 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1462234195185.jpg
88 KB, 480x270
You guys were right, last night me and my wife played Splendor and we had a blast. Do you also recommend Patchworks?
>>
>>47098146

Four is probably best -- there's a heavy enough blocking element that if two players expand towards the third player he'll be in for a rough time. If someone gets pinned in the four player game it means you're just giving more space to the unpinned fourth player so players tend to expand in both directions.

I haven't played it with two, but I imagine it's a very different game for better or worse.
>>
Opinions on Wasabi? It seems to be out of print thought.
>>
File: pic397934.jpg (125 KB, 990x742) Image search: [Google]
pic397934.jpg
125 KB, 990x742
>>47100162
>>
Boardgame Blender Theme this week is Food Glorious Food! What games do you like with "food themes"? The only one I've played so far is Sushi Go to be honest.
>>
>>47100397
Same here. I saw the same company makes Slamwich. Is it pretty fun? Or is it more of a kids game?
>>
>>47100397
If you exclude farming games, and games where food is just a resource or secondary aspect, then Sushi Go is the only hobby game I've played too. Scoville is probably the next closest thing, followed by Bohnanza
>>47100580
kids game, card flipping and pile slapping. It's been around for at least 10 years now. Actually great for kids though, I played that at camp a bunch
>>
>>47066041
Couple years ago I had fun showing some friends how to play Monopoly RAW with a Beatles-themed board because they were her favorite band. Mostly fun because they realized the game wasn't -total- shit.
>Fishin' Time. You took a boat out to fishing spots in a lake and drew a card to get a fish with a weight value, or lose turns from not having your fishing license or losing bait or something. Player with the most weight in fish won.
>>
/bgg/, I just bought Eclipse as a possible TI3 substitute that I can play more often because of its runtime. What am I in for?
>>
>>47102519
>What am I in for?
It's already too late. You got meme'd... nah kidding it's great.
>>
>>47102519
Wishing you'd bought Exodus instead, if you're anything like me.
>>
>>47102519
I'm a big fan of Space 4x and '4x like' games. Eclipse is a good game - but it is NOT a TI3 'lite' game as some people claim. Eclipse is resource management heavy - particularly in the early rounds when most players want to explore / build up without fighting other players. Towards the end it gets combat heavy as players fight over high Victory Point systems and VPs for winning combats. The one area that Eclipse is weak on is politics. There's little in the way of reward for engaging in alliances beyond the 'I *probably* don't have to worry about attack from that quarter (for now).' And little in the way of consequence for breaking alliances. (Last person to do so ends up with -2 VP's due to a 'bad reputation' among the other races.) You'll probably want to play a game or two with only 3 or 4 players to get the hang of the game flow while keeping down time under control. You'll also probably want to play your first few games with everyone using 'human' forces. After that you can introduce alien races (with their various bonuses / drawbacks) into the mix.

At first no one wants to attack other players because they don't want to eliminate their friends from the game early (understandable) or draw the attention / aggro of other players. But with some of the alien races, you'll need to go after them early. The green 'plant people' are a bitch if you let them spread out without check early on for example.

As for the Eclipse Expansions:

Rise of the Ancients - adds new races (and up to 9 total players which is a bit nuts unless all the players are experiences and can finish their turns in a timely fashion) along with new technologies and more hex tiles. Solid addition to the game.

Shadow of the Rift - more aliens, more techs, and more tiles (as well as some crazy new powers and abilities). This is recommended for more experienced players but is definitely worthwhile.
>>
>>47103443
Eclipse Expansions Continued:

Ship Pack One - replaces the generic ships (which all look the same except the colors are different) with unique models for each color. Nice add on, but not mandatory.

After that we get to the various mini expansions:

SuperNova - adds a couple of new hexes and new tech. Nice add-on for the completionists, but not a 'must have' item for typical players.

Plusar - adds a couple of new hexes and new tech. Nice add-on for the completionists, but not a 'must have' item for typical players.

Nebula - adds a couple of new hexes and new tech. Nice add-on for the completionists, but not a 'must have' item for typical players.

There are also some 'holiday' micro-expansions that add a few new techs or items with a theme. No 'must haves' here either, and some can be downloaded for free as 'print-n-play' items. (Check Boardgame Geek.)
>>
>>47103425
As much as I like Exodus, I don't dislike Eclipse. And you have to admit there's a certain silliness to having rockets that destroy entire solar systems like Exodus has. (I've seen a game or two devolve into "If I can't have it / win - then no one can!") But I'd agree that Exodus is definitely a better rounded 4x style game in terms of politics and interaction.
>>
File: co-related games2.png (6 MB, 1040x3642) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2.png
6 MB, 1040x3642
>>
Is there anyway to reduce TI3's play time? Make it simpler? This is probably heresy, but I already got some heavy game that get little play. TI3 sounds like my dream boardgame, but sounds like it would be a pain having to teach it first, and then getting people interested in playing only one game for 6-8 hours or more.
How many players does it plays best?
>>
>>47104944
never played it myself, but some trips in /bgg/ preach a 4-player game is best, seems they know what they're talking about.
>>
>>47104944
Are you guys hyped for the Star Trek 4x from Galeforce nine?
>>
>>47104944
Best way to make it shorter and faster without compromising on the fun is to limit it to 4 player, five at an absolute max, and play on as small a map as possible. Two rings around the center is ideal.
>>
Looking for Mage Wars Academy players, maybe play through skype/hangouts.
>>
speaking of Star Trek what are some games worthy of mention? also do you hold any thought on Star Trek attack wing (and D&D in a related note)?
>>
>>47104871
I loved Locke & Key, is the game any good?

>Overpower
Completely forgot that I used to play that. Might have my cards lying around in storage.
>>
Would it be a good idea to buy more than one copy of Pandemic Iberia? Since it's getting a limited run? I thought so but then I realized It's Pandemic... it's probably going to sell millions anyway.
>>
>>47106227
The Star Trek VHS Game: A Klingon Challenge

Yes, really.
>>
>>47106532
>You! The player who is moving now!
Thanks, not-Gowron.
The cardboard tricorders are awesome.

>>47106227
Fleet Captains is hands-down the most flavorful Trek game out there. And while not technically a Trek game, Space Cadets: Dice Duel is easily my favorite real-time boardgame. Just stupid fun.
>>
File: 1414362993679.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1414362993679.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
How is Welcome to the Dungeon? Also, best games under $20?
>>
>>47104944
You're probably better off using the original Strat Cards, considering the time limit it sets when one of the cards awards 2 VPs (IIRC). Although it also makes it so players are forced to take that card whenever they can, which kinda sucks.
>>
>>47108389
It's pretty good. I don't think it's quite as timeless and elegant as Skull, but it's got a little more meat on the bones, so decisions have more context and implication that you can read into. I like it.
>>
>>47108607
Skull looked pretty fun. How durable are the components for Skull? Is it a good game to throw in a bag and bring along?
>>
>>47108635
They're reasonably durable, but the paint is starting to wear on my two year old copy, so they're not invincible. On the plus side, you can always just play it with any normal deck of cards.
>>
File: Federation & Empire.jpg (40 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
Federation & Empire.jpg
40 KB, 500x373
>>47106227

Federation & Empire is a noteworthy Star Trek wargame.

Star Trek: Attack Wing is not well regarded by it's community. I would avoid it.

Star Trek: Fleet Captains is supposed to be excellent

The upcoming Star Trek: Ascendancy is looking quite promising.
>>
File: star trek fleet captains.jpg (174 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
star trek fleet captains.jpg
174 KB, 800x600
>>47108866

Fleet Captains
>>
>>47069738

To hell with fun.

Boredom is where it's at.
>>
File: Star-Trek-Ascendancy.png (917 KB, 1000x778) Image search: [Google]
Star-Trek-Ascendancy.png
917 KB, 1000x778
>>47108866
>>47108874

Ascendancy

Pretty stoked for this one.
>>
File: colossal.jpg (81 KB, 437x571) Image search: [Google]
colossal.jpg
81 KB, 437x571
>>47108389
>Also, best games under $20?

Colossal Arena is a personal favorite.
>>
>>47088492
To be fair the artwork (the dudes on the pieces) are EXACTLY the same. Just the layout of icons on the hex tokens is different (like that kinda pointless hourglass symbol).

Would push my friend's collector's buttons, but if you don't mind it then you're good to go.
>>
>>47106227
Attack Wing is ok but compares poorly to X-Wing in just about every possible way.

I've never tried the D&D game so I couldn't comment.
>>
>>47066041
Best game from childhood was the teenage mutant ninja turtles board game
>>
>>47108389
Anything from Pixel Tactics series is good if you like card games and I think it's like 15$.

Neuroshima: Convoy is a great 2-player card game and it's about 16$ too.
>>
>>47100162
>>47100233

It's a good game.
Not sure what else to say about it. I enjoy the mechanics a lot. The theme is light but it fits well.
>>
So people of /bgg/ any plans for the weekend?

I'm going to spend the Sunday playing StarCraft and Chaos in the Old World so it's a win by me. Pretty psyched for CitoW - the first two games we played were awesome (though the conventional wisdom that Khorn wins was not prooved - our first game Nurgle won, and in the second one Slaanesh did).
>>
>>47112636
>So people of /bgg/ any plans for the weekend?

Sadly not this weekend. I might get in some rules reading, but that's about it.
>>
>>47112636
I introduced my mother in law to Codenames and she's been texting me about playing it more. So there's that. I'm gonna try and get my wife to play Mice and Mystics with me. Played through the first chapter solo to get a handle on the game and really liking it
>>
>>47066391
risk isn't that bad, anon.
I mean, legacy is far better then the base game, but it's still cool man.
>>
>>47112636
>So people of /bgg/ any plans for the weekend?
Baby shower Saturday afternoon and then Mother's Day brunch on Sunday.

I'm going to try to get my girlfriend to play Neuroshima Hex or another round of Splendor.

>>47112952
>Mice and Mystics
I've been considering picking this up for me and my girlfriend. I want to expose her to miniature-type play and this seemed like a good investment. Is your wife into the hobby?
>>
>>47096654
It is a card game with fairies planting flowers.

I'd get into details, but I can't imagine ya'll care.
>>
>>47113156
Shes pretty casual. She loves Codenames and Sushi Go. She enjoyed Mysterium a lot. She liked Pandemic but not as much as the other games I listed. We are just getting into the hobby but I'm loving everything we've played so far.
>>
Sup TG, I need help making sure I got one thing straight in necromunda.
So in most if not all scenarios, your guys get 5 XP for each hit they score that becomes a wound, right?

So let's say, in close combat, a guy gets 2 and the other guy gets 10, that's eight hits.
Now let's say 5 of those hits are wounds.
Does that mean the dude gets 25 XP or am I that bad at reading rules?
>>
>>47112636
Working security and celebrating mothers day, so no plans for me.

But I am jamming/playing Twilight Struggle right now with my best friend/doctor mate before he moves for his residency, and he has become captivated by the "war" game, so I can't really complain.
>>
>>47113492
Yeah, my gf is the same. She also enjoyed Codenames, Sushi-Go, and Pandemic. We've also played Splendor and King of Tokyo which she liked a lot.

I recently picked up Mysterium actually, so maybe I'll have better luck getting her to play that over NH.

>>47113403
Sounds cool, anon! Good luck! There's a game design thread in /tg/ but I think that's more for RPG than board game design.
>>
>>47073605
jesus christ stop the fucking netrunner is dying meme, there are like 15 people playing it weekly at my shitty eastern europe FLGS, with the most tournaments out of any LCG
>>
>>47114715
Mysterium is awesome because the game play doesn't really involve a lot of complicated pieces and numbers. It's got this abstract feel trying to figure out the cards. I'm a big fan.
>>
>>47114933
Rude desu
>>
>>47114933
B-b-b-but it's netrunner's equivalent of combo winter right now, anon.
>>
>>47115998

It pretty much isn't. Combo Winter was at least a good time to be a deckbuilder.

Right now people are winning with fucking NoiseShop. That cancer has been around for nearly the entire lifespan of the game.
>>
Bumpledes: the k-bumpet crossover episode
>>
Tabletop Simulator is on sale at the Humble Store for $10 USD...

Yay or nay?
>>
>>47118194

Yay.
May as well.
There are like three hundred PAGES of games for it so far. $10 will probably give you a return on investment of some sort.
>>
>>47118194
Yay yay all the way
>>
File: Shave A Sheep.jpg (32 KB, 258x355) Image search: [Google]
Shave A Sheep.jpg
32 KB, 258x355
>>47108389
>best games under $20?
Love Letter, Gemblo, the new Star Wars Monopoly and Risk, maybe Reverse Charades (I haven't played my copy yet)
>>47112636
I'm staying over with my brother and his fiancee for the weekend, so it looks like gaming will be on the backburner. I brought pic related along, on the hopes of playing it with my future niece-in-law
>>
>>47108389
MtG: Arena of the Planeswalkers is only $13.50. Vanilla game is pretty solid.
>>
I just finished my third campaign of Hornet Leader. A long, 9 days campaign over Iran in 2014, using 2 E-2Cs and the rest Hornets. A 'Great' result was 33+ Victory points and I got 42! The last mission was an all-out assault against a heavily defended government building in Tehran and was great fun.

What an awesome game.
>>
>>47123054

Nice!
>>
Any really bad gaming experiences that were totally your own fault, /tg/?

The Resistance is probably my favorite game, but I'll never play it drunk again.

A bunch of us grad students from the same department had gone on a trip, spending the weekend in a cabin, and we were totally sloshed. I ended up on a three-person mission with both spies early on and they both sabotaged. Then one of them kept calling me a spy and talking about how I was a liar and shit, and obviously she had to if she wanted to win, but I was drunk as balls and I felt like she was picking on me because she didn't like me.

The next day I was fine, but I went to bed sad because I thought she hated me.
>>
>>47123332
I ended up really pissing someone off when I was playing Settlers once. I have a habit of bantering with people, and I thought she was having fun with it and bantering back. Turns out she was actually getting really pissed off, and when she was griping at me she really meant it. Finally after one particular move she threw the Bandit at me and just started screaming at me for five minutes, then stormed out and was never seen again.
>>
>>47123054
It's bad enough that I really want Warfighter without you contributing to the problem.
>>
>>47123593

can't handle the bantz, get out of the bantry
>>
>>47112636
>playing this weekend
Gonna play 6-man Game of Thrones boardgame, sending out cheatsheets and rules summaries atm. Some people call it "Glorified Risk", dunno if it's a bad thing, given we like Risk.

>CitOW
Great game. If the same guy had Khorne in the first two games, he might just be learning how to properly slaughter stuff. That's what I like most about the game, strategy and counterplay opens up the more you play it.
>>
>>47124763
>Glorified Risk
If it were true, it WOULD be a bad thing. Fortunately, it's not true, aGoT is actually a good game.
But it's also too long for it's value compared to other games, especially at six players.
Rex
>>
>>47124763
>6-man Game of Thrones
I'm jelly, anon. Last time I played 6-players in GoT was 2 years ago and it was fantastic.
>>
Miniature games, specially dungeon crawlers are the worst kind of board games. There I said it. I don't get why people get so hyped about them, it's all the same shit again and again. Don't get me wrong, I like painting minis and all that but what a waste. It's practically the kickstarter easymodo. That's why I'm not backing the Dark Souls game, even if it's my favorite video game. The board game looks boring as fuck. I'm more interested in the Bloodbourne card game by Eric Lang.
>>
>>47125168

Bloodbourne looks almost as bad desu.
>>
>>47125246
Haven't seen it to be honest. But bloodbourne + the designer made me interested.
>>
>>47123332
Grad students and a cabin trip...not UVic by any chance?
>>
Hey all, didn't want to make a new thread for this question:

I was wondering if someone could help me find a board game from my childhood. The game involved each player controlling four coloured pawn-like figures. Each turn a player may move one of their pawns onto a board (castle) of face down tiles and flip the tile they move onto. The tiles would have different effects, such as imprisoning a piece, moving a piece in another direction, giving an extra move, or revealing treasure rings. Players would win by returning these rings to their side of the board.

I think the game was European, perhaps Hungarian, but I'm not sure where else it was published. I've tried Google-fu but to no avail. Cheers!
>>
File: !!!!!!!Kamon game.jpg (58 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
!!!!!!!Kamon game.jpg
58 KB, 500x328
>>
>>47126765

Some hunting around:

The Maze of Ishtar

Das verrueckte Labyrinth aka Labyrinth Apparently there was a whole series of spinoffs. Seems like it could've been one of these?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Ravensburger_Labyrinth_Games#
>>
File: Master Labyrinth.jpg (71 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Master Labyrinth.jpg
71 KB, 500x375
>>47128525
>>47126765

Master Labyrinth?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/437/master-labyrinth
>>
>>47128525
>>47128545
No sorry, looks similar somewhat though. The tiles were laid out in an X by X grid. 8x8 maybe? not too sure.
>>
>>47128572

Here's a list to check out:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2279/mazes-and-labyrinths

Good luck. Let us know :-)
>>
>>47125168
>The board game looks boring as fuck
What part bores you? The AI deck is an interesting component and it offers a variety of challenges. The stamina bars are a neat mechanic, even if dice rolling for damage is kind of annoying it can be balanced by how well you use your stamina.
>>
>>47108389
I just played Sail to India and it's actually really thick for a microgame. Very little random chance, lots of tight decisions on how to use your precious few resources.
>>
>>47128648
Well, I scoured the internet's nooks and crannies and found the single image on Google with the game I meant. Talk about obscure, there was literally no way you could find it, sorry!

Oh well. Fun game, shame nothing came from it.
>>
File: 20160507_052131.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160507_052131.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
Here's my collection. I've been into board games for about a year, but I've just gotten an established gaming group, so I'm looking to expand the hobby greatly. I know this is mostly introductory type shit but I'm in love with all these games (just got TtR UK, so haven't played that one yet). I'm interested in getting into some heavier games, maybe some more American style stuff.

As a side anectdote, Carcassonne was the game that first started it all for me when I got it at a white elephant gift exchange and let it collect dust for years before I ever played it.
>>
>>47129266
Well fuck. How did that happen?
>>
>>47129266
I'd look into worker placement games. something like Ninjato or Kingsburg perhaps
>>
>>47129274
Australian detected...
>>
>>47129266
> I'm interested in getting into some heavier games
Look at:
Stone Age
Castles of Burgundy
Five Tribes
Roll for the Galaxy
Puerto Rico
Terra Mystica
Archipelago

> Ameritrash:
Smallworld
Gears of War / Level 7 Omega Protocol
Exodus
Neroshima Hex
Stronghold 2nd edition
Kemet
Twilight Struggle
>>
>>47112636
Had to help my dad move to his new house today, was going to hang out with a few friends tomorrow but they had cancelled. Not to worry, I'll probably go to my friend's LGS and play his store copy of Mage Knight with him, as I've been meaning to check it out and see how it compares to Shadows of Malice... whenever it finally arrives in the mail.
>>
>>47128799
Microgames are fascinating to me. What are some of the best ones to either print or buy?
>>
>>47128816

Daaaamn. This is obscure AF.
>>
>>47123853
>>47123188
Thanks! Now I have to decide between a Marines campaign or an early campaign with mostly A-6, A-7, EA-6B and F-14 pilots. Any ideas?
>>
Mice and Mystics Heart of Glorm seems to be out of stock everywhere. Any chance of a reprint?
>>
>>47133790

Go for the early campaign.
>>
Page 10 begone
>>
File: pic2315948_lg.jpg (344 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
pic2315948_lg.jpg
344 KB, 1024x768
BANZAI
>>
>>47137226
So close to freedom
>>
>>47137255
What is that game?
>>
>>47137316

Ca$h & Guns

it's a lot of fun.
>>
File: pic87523.jpg (176 KB, 600x595) Image search: [Google]
pic87523.jpg
176 KB, 600x595
>>47123332
I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest again, but there was that time I walked out on a meetup because I arrived early, and the only guy that was there kept maing excuses not to play Mousquetaires du Roy because I hadn't read the rules and hadn't even taken it out of the cellophane after I had played a horrible game of Marvel Dicemasters at his behest, which led to me pretending I had to go home, thereby wasting a good two hours or so of my life.

I have to accept some of the blame, but he made so many piss-poor excuses not to play, after he'd taught me Dicemasters so badly that I thought it was a push-your-luck game.
>>47137316
Ca$h 'n' Gun$, 2nd edition. The first edition had different (some might say better) art, but clunkier rules and two less guns. I got it for Christmas far too long ago, and still have yet to bring it out, for fear of a lukewarm reception by my family, who are pretty plebtacular when it comes to board games (my mother in particular hates most of the themes in my collection, and abhors player elimination).
>>
>>47137471

Ca$h & Guns is structured in such a way that player elimination doesn't really happen until the game is reaching a climax anyway.

So... the way it works is this:
At the beginning of the game every player is given the same allotment of "shot" cards. They get three shots, and five "blanks".

Each round, everyone secretly selects either a shot or a blank and then when the time comes, you all point your guns at each other. Then every gets the choice to either bow out of the round - in which case they don't get any of the loot that round - or to "remain standing". If you remain standing, people pointing guns at you reveal their shot/blank cards. You can survive three total shots over the course of the game, and there are ways to heal a wound in the loot pool.

So if a lot of people are pointing guns at you, you can simply bow out. It's really only towards the end of the game that you might start thinking about risking everything.
>>
>>47137391
>>47137471
>>47137687
Thanks for the responses and explanation on how the game works. It sounds like a blast, especially since my group likes weird gimmicks
>>
>>47137687
We're talking about somebody who turned her nose up at One Night Ultimate Werewolf, just because I described the context as "you're villagers, at least one of you is PROBABLY a werewolf, so you need to figure out who and kill them".

... I might be bad at selling people on games.
>>
>>47138178
Sounds like the fault lies more with your mom, but you should probably get better at explaining games to people.
>>
>go into flgcs for free comic book day
>50% off cart at the door
>5 out of 6 packs from newest LotR LCG cycle
Gonna be a fun week.
>>
>>47139212
>Had to work all day
>Haven't been able to go to Free Comic day for the last 3 years due to work
Being an adult sucks
>>
>>47139264
>working on weekends
I'm sorry bro. I just got out of retail for a tech job and missed having time off two days in a row reliably so much.
>>
Is Pandemic Iberia just Pandemic with new (old) look?
>>
>>47125909
Nope.
>>
People have been meemed so hard by Mice & Mystics... what a shitty game.
>>
>>47141490
It's got its perks. It may not be as mechanically good as other dungeoncrawls, but I'd play the shit outta this with my nephews. The minis and theme are great for introducing kids to RPGs and coop boardgames.
>>
>>47141927
What about playing Mouse Guard instead for theme?
>>
>>47142137
I like the Mouse Guard books but haven't looked into the RPG. What specifically makes it stand out?
>>
>>47132257
Steve Jackson Game's OGRE (Sci-fi tank battles) has been around for ages and had a recent re-print with the original sale price of $3 from 1978 / 79. You can also find torrents of loads of other Micro Games like Melee & Wizard, Death Maze, Intruder, Lords of UnderEarth, etc.
>>
>>47132257
Cheapass Games and Good Little Games have a nice selection too.
>>
>>47132257
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Print_and_Play_Games
>>
>>47139212
How fun is the LotR LCG if you aren't buying expansions at a particularly frequent pace? Like once every 3 months, maybe less. Or if you don't care too much about the deck building part.
>>
47 games in my collection atm. Some won't see much play, some are always asked for.
I've brought a few friends into gaming, met a few cool people, got to socialize more than I had in a while.
It's been a good 2 years of hobby gaming. I'm beginning to wonder about permanency, though. How do I know if I want to hold onto a particular game for a long time? Some feel like they wouldn't be missed. Am I going to get my money's worth out of games? Even researching I sometimes feel like the investment might not be worth it...
I'm just rambling now, probly should get some sleep now.

Also, bump so this lives til morning.
>>
File: eowyn.png (291 KB, 300x419) Image search: [Google]
eowyn.png
291 KB, 300x419
>>47139212

fuuuuuuuuuuck! Nice find!

>>47144034

>How fun is the LotR LCG if you aren't buying expansions at a particularly frequent pace? Like once every 3 months, maybe less.

Lots of fun. That's pretty much the pace at which I've been buying stuff, and I don't think I'd want to go any quicker than that. It takes time and many plays to properly savor most adventures. I've been stuck on one adventure for a couple months, partially due to the style of deck I most enjoy playing.

This is less true when you first get into the game. Chances are you'll want to pick up enough expansions to flesh out your initial card pool and adventure choices. I have a couple of the big boxes and a smattering of little ones and I'm pretty content for the moment.

>Or if you don't care too much about the deck building part.

If you don't care much about the deckbuilding part, you should probably consider other games. You can netdeck I guess, but I don't think you'll have as much fun. Part of the experience is making subtle tweaks to your deck and finally conquering a challenging quest.... or (VERY rarely) the satisfaction of not having tweak anything because your deck was so well designed to begin with.
>>
>>47146470
Is it a solo game?
>>
>>47147404

It is solo and co-op. Plays best solo or with two players, but can scale up to four in theory. Solo can be played with one deck or two - both of which are interesting and behave in surprisingly different ways.
>>
Blood rage or mage knight or Arcadia quest? Don't have a game like these yet and they are all pretty expensive. Which one is better or more worth the cash?
>>
>>47148859
Arcadia Quest and Blood Rage are all hyped up right now, but Mage Knight's got staying power. Time will tell.
>>
>>47148859
Just played Mage Knight for the first time today, game is a damn fine brain burner and definitely looking forward to playing it more in the future. Can't comment on Blood Rage or Arcadia Quest though.
>>
>>47144034
>>47147404
I actually owned just a core set for a while and a couple packs. The nice thing is that it's modular so you can just buy stuff as you want. For example if you just want to play the books, the Saga expansions make for some of the best designed quests in the deck. I got the fourth deluxe expansion, which is about being harass Dunedain, and that's the only big box other than book expansions I've bought. You can really just buy what you want. And I frequently play it solo, occassionally two handed with two decks, and it's always a swell time. A big appeal of it is the deck builsing, like this weird Gandalf deck where he keeps summoning the Eagles to help out and beat the shit out of everyone.

>>47146470
So fucking stoked for that Eowyn. I'm wondering if I should skip Land of Shadow and,just get Treason of Saruman.
But yeah, the FLGS doesn't really see much traffic except for comics and Netrunner or Star Wars tournaments. They have a bunch of AGoT1e and LotR big boxes they are trying to get rid of, so I was more than happy to help.
>>
>>47139212
>>47149553
Gibe meh!
Fuck, I'd help them clear that stock in half a heartbeat.
>>
What sci-fi/fantasy hex-and-chit wargames or games with wargaming as an integral component (ie. Duel of Ages II) do you guys recommend? Space Empires: 4X is definitely on my hit list but I'm waiting for the reprint.

On that note, is the 70s Avalon Hill Starship Troopers worth picking up? Looking at copies on BGG for $20-$25 and it's sounding tempting to me.
>>
File: _20160508_093026.jpg (39 KB, 814x337) Image search: [Google]
_20160508_093026.jpg
39 KB, 814x337
How'd I do
>>
>>47150219
Yep, your ordered it all right
>>
>>47150219

Taking a big gamble there, bud. What if something happens in transit? Vin Diesel could hijack the truck...

WHAT IF you don't like the gaem?

WHAT IF VELOCIRAPTORS GET LOOSE ON THE ISLAND??
>>
File: 1442503813959.jpg (47 KB, 580x419) Image search: [Google]
1442503813959.jpg
47 KB, 580x419
>>47150588
>>47150563
Thanks for the support, guys
>>
File: pic2520016_md.jpg (149 KB, 389x500) Image search: [Google]
pic2520016_md.jpg
149 KB, 389x500
>>47150588
>WHAT IF VELOCIRAPTORS GET LOOSE ON THE ISLAND?
You get a great 2p game.
>>
>>47150736

It's a $10 game. Do you really need our validation?

You did fine. You're going to have fun.
>>
>>47150784
>Do you really need our validation?
No, just excited. Been playing it on my phone, so I figured I'd get a copy to take on bike rides
>>
>>47150760

This looks awesome.
>>
>>47150760
Or a very bad Jurassic Park sequel.
>>
>>47150816
I was sold based on the design team more than the box/theme when I saw it at the store, but it's been loads of fun. Kinda worried how long it'll stay in the collection though, so many good 2p games are being released/reprinted lately that they compete for time on the table.

>>47150860
Well yeah, but I was thinking in terms of board games not movies.
>>
What's the opinion on Mansions of Madness? So far I've played it twice and I wasn't particularly thrilled with the game either time.
>>
>>47134321
Last night I made a list of 4 F-14s, 4 A-6s, 2 A-7s and two AE6-Bs for the Libya 1984 campaign. I have a feeling it's gonna be a wild ride. I think I'll really miss the E2-Cs I had in previous campaigns, as they saved my bacon multiple times. Too bad the EA-6Bs can't have any ECM pods. I really love Prowlers, but I fear their usefulness.

If there's any interest, I might post occasional updates here.
>>
>>47149743
OGRE is available for $3 as a micro-game, or you can look for the 'Designer' edition that has the large scale maps and units.

As for Starship Troopers - it's a decent game. The scenarios start out with basic rules and by the end it incorporates maps with hidden tunnels, Nerve Gas, and Nukes as well as psychics, etc.

As for other games - there's SPI's classic 'War of the Ring' which is a serious time investment to finish, and a multitude of SF and Fantasy as well as Historical War games - what's your inclination?
>>
>>47150804
It's a babby tier game that boils down to luck once you learn the cards. Still ok for a very quick round now and then, but otherwise I'd never play it again.
>>
File: 91PV9W4v5jL._SY355_.jpg (39 KB, 325x355) Image search: [Google]
91PV9W4v5jL._SY355_.jpg
39 KB, 325x355
Someone talk me into or out of Red Dragon Inn. I've been considering buying it for a while but I have literally no idea why. Is it even good in the first place?
>>
>>47152588
I don't know much about it, but it looks like it could be fun. What's holding you back?
>>
>>47152588
Haven't played it, but it seems to be kind of polarizing, Some folks hate it with the same passion others love it.
I think if you can get into a light, beer&pretzels fantasy-themed, 'take that' barfight without being too fussy about mechanics and luck, you'll be fine.
>>
>>47152588
It's more fun than it deserves to be. It's a pretty good simulation of having a fun night out and trying to have some money left at the end of it. It's not the best game out there, but you can have some damn good fun playing it.

Have you played it before? If not, you should probably give it a go before pulling the trigger.
>>
>>47152485

That's a bit hyperbolic. I agree with the basic idea of what you are saying, but it's a fine filler game. I think most people play it a bit obsessively at first and burn out.
>>
>>47153069
Nothing really holding me back, just that I have never heard anything about the game.

>>47153230
My main concern is that my group may not like it.

It's cheap enough that I may just pick up the base game and then sell it if it's no good.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.