[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Feral Necromancer Quest XXXII
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 13
File: Necro.jpg (45 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Necro.jpg
45 KB, 500x500
This Volume, on Feral Necromancer Quest: You were banished from your tribe for practicing necromancy, and killing two of your elders in self- defence. You had bound your lover's, Bathory's, spirit to her skull, rather than allow her to die. She hated you for it. You found temporary dwelling in a cave in the forest, and soon met your neighbors- an elven tribe, and a pack of gnolls. Despite the prejudice of the elves and despite the monstrous nature of the gnolls you eventually made allies of them both through trickery and diplomacy both.

From one of your bound elven spirits you learned the location of an ancient elven ruin. You went there, and learned that it was the resting place of a near-dead immortal necromancer. You released his spirit into the afterlife, gained the ruin, a sword, and a considerable library in exchange. You moved in here.

You met with the local dwarves and re-connected with the human tribes. You killed an orcish tribe and would later kill all that remained of the drow. And gods started bothering you.

Two elves, Lathrien and Melandie joined you. Lathrien as a sort of a hostage, and a sort of an apprentice. Melandie joined you because she felt like it. You quickly befriended the both of them despite any past differences.

As you delved deeper into the library and learned more and more of the secrets that lay within, eventually you learned enough alchemy to create a homunculus replica of Bathory's body. With your magic you managed to transfer her soul to it. You returned Bathory her body, and eventually she forgave you for any past transgressions.

You engaged in skirmishes with the humans, but ultimately made peace, with a good number of them moving in near the borders of your lands.

Winter came. To prove your might and benevolance to the world you chose the winter as the time to hold a grand diplomatic feast for all of the tribes together. It was a great success, until the hangover got interrupted by a drow invasion. (cont.)
>>
1st
>>
You repelled their forces, though not without losses. The elven elder, who had become somewhat a friend and certainly a close ally died at the hands of drow. You had your vengeance. You collapsed a mountain on their misbegotten kind.

Then you set out on a journey to the sea, for a traditional elven burial. It went relatively smoothly, as you certainly did not find any ancient enchantress lady. On your way back, however, you did meet a race of sea-dwelling humanoids, the Mer.

You learned that Bathory is pregnant.

After returning from your travels to the sea, you soon set out into the desert to find the temple of Pern and the secret of immortality. On the way there you met strange orcs, strange elves, and a stranger gnome- creature, but ultimately nothing could stop you.

You decided not to take up vampirism, but Lathrien was more convinced of the value of the curse. He willingly took up the curse of vampirism, for immortality and for power.

You returned, rescued dwarves from giant spiders, kobolds from slavery and fought an ancient draco-lich.

When you returned, you were under siege within a week. Human worshippers of Pern assaulted your stronghold, and you just barely beat them back. You defeated their forces entirely, and followed them back to the human lands, liberating village after village from their grasp.

And that is where the thirty first installment of Feral Necromancer Quest ended.
>>
The Cast

Vlad Tepish: You, a necromancer and shaman of great skill on a quest for immortality. Your constant and insistent attempts at diplomacy with the neighboring tribes has made you a well-respected force in the area.

Bathory: Your lover and companion, brought back to life into an alchemical body. She is pregnant with your child. A skilled diplomat in her own right she brings stability and counsel to your company.

Lathrien: Your apprentice and the first vampire, he is getting better at controlling his new powers, which are substantial. The first to gain immortality among your party, he is stronger, faster and more charming than ever before.

Melandie: A huntress, a berserker, an elf. She is quick to anger and her rage is terrible, but she has learned to control her emotions better recently. The runeblade she wields still impacts her emotions, but it is unlikely to break her mind or kill her any longer.

Korg: Your orcish blackguard, he is bound to your will. He wields a great hammer and cares for few things more than to use it in battle. A creature of simple pleasures and sins he is a destructive force on the battlefield and a cunning creature in planning.

Halivean: Known to you as Hal, he is your desert elf blackguard. Fanatically loyal to you and with some basic skill in necromancy and tactics he is a vital lieutenant to your forces. His agility is exceptional and his skill with a blade and bow is significant, but where he shines is leading undead into battle.

Karist: Dwarven runesmith and elder.

Spot: Gnoll rogue and boss.

Vlad the Kobold: Kobold leader.

Amythrien: Elven craftsman and elder.

Sheila: Human elder from your village.

Housekeeping

Suptg archive of the quest: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=DeadQM

Twitter where the quest updates usually happen: @DeadQM

http://pastebin.com/vBRyBWfK Mechanics and Character Sheet
>>
Diplomacy: Tie-breaker for the Alliance of Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Gnolls and Kobolds. Were-Bears (Friendly)

Goals: Achieve Immortality, Provide a good life for Bathory and the child.

Immortality option currently locked in: Draconic Magic.

You have tamed this land. Where there was tribalism, raiding, war and mistrust you have forged trust, co-operation and alliance. In the weeks after the liberation of the human tribes, your Alliance has become the only actual force in the area to be reckoned with.

In the first week after the liberation of the human tribes construction of immediate shelter took place. While there were arguments between the more monstrous and the more beautiful, under your watchful gaze none of them ever came to the point of violence. And a community is building.

The tiny village that desperate humans knocked together within a week has expanded to house more than one hundred and fifty people. Furthermore, there are a hundred kobolds who, while they live in your stronghold, seem to also be everywhere else at the same time, most of the time attempting to be helpful.

And beyond that, the end of your quest for immortality is within your reach. You know how to achieve it. You could transform into a dragon, and your form would forever be changed into one of those immortal beasts. However, your mind, as it is now might not survive, so you are looking into options to strengthen it.

But you have not thought much of that lately. You know that your child is going to enter this world soon. You are mad with excitement, joy and terror in equal measure.

>Don't ever leave Bathory's side.
>Go about your business. You will be called if it begins.
>>
>>43642796
>>Don't ever leave Bathory's side.
>>
>>43642796
>>Don't ever leave Bathory's side
Tiny dragon hommunculus is getting his friend soon.
>>
>>43642796
>>
>>43642796
Just looked at Twitter, super hype!
>stay by her side at all times.
We have forever to become immortal, and only one chance to see our child born.
>>
>>43642796
>>
>>43642796
>>
You are in Bathory's room. Bathory is with you, laying in a massive pile of furs and silk. The two of you were talking about nothing much, until you got interrupted.

There is a small line of people outside. You are currently speaking to an elf. She barged into the room mere seconds ago.

You sigh.

'Alright, and what did this 'beast' take from you?'
'My meat and my hides! Not all of them, but that's just cause it could not carry it all!'
'Did you see who it was?'
'One of the beast men!'

You are losing patience. That could mean anything from a kobold, to a gnoll, and in the case of an elf telling the story- to a dwarf.

'Please attempt to put yourself into my position. You are in fact telling me at this moment that the person you mean could be any one of a hundred and fifty two people.'

'You are supposed to bring justice here! You are supposed to...'

'Vlad,' Bathory says.

'I demand that this thief be caught, I demand...'

>Shout at the elf.
>Just... close the door in her face and barricade in here with Bathory.
>Blast her out with magic. Nothing that will hurt her. Much.
>Keep talking.
>>
>>43642998
>>Just... close the door in her face and barricade in here with Bathory.
>>
>>43642998
>>
>>43642998
>>
>>43642998
>>Keep talking.
figure out what who it was, and see about managing like a decent ruler/chief.
Possibly make "elders" or decisions makers deal with these problems in the future. Anything they can't handle will be brought to you.
>>
Nice reference to real life man, where i can find more of this?
>>
>>43642998
>I demand
We need someone to take care of this for us at some point. For now I say we have personal matters to attend to, so unless it is something life-threatening, she can wait a few days.

>>Just... close the door in her face and barricade in here with Bathory.
Please tell her that she bring her case in a couple of days.
>>
'No,' you say.
'What?'
'No. Not today. Go away.' You close the door. Then, for good measure you push a cabinet in front of it.

'This seemed like such a simple idea. I'd let the alliance use my lands and serve as tie-breaker when there's a disagreement. Now they think I'm some kind of a leader.'

'You are, love.'
'I guess so. Not that it matters. Are you alright? How is the baby? Do you need anything?'
'You know, Vlad, even with how incredibly busy you are, you still have managed to ask that every five minutes. I am worried for you.'
'I am serious. Surely, it is not so simple as waiting, there must be something I can do.'
'Vlad, the women in my lineage are very good at giving birth. As far as I am aware, every one of my direct ancestors managed to give birth at least once,'
'It is no joking matter!'
'But it is! It is a joyous time. And I am not in horrible pain yet. Go back to your little work-station.'
'It is not a little work-station! I am binding a soul, tied to the land of the living by the sheer force of my will to one of the most complicated alchemical constructs to have existed in the last thousand years,'
'Yes yes, and what do you intend to use it for?'
'Er.. For our daughter to have someone to play with.'
'Exactly. So go, play with your toys. Or her toys, that is.' Bathory smiles. You sigh and smile back.
'Very well. Tell me if you need anything,'
'Why bother, you'll just ask me anyways.'

Despite what Bathory said, this IS quite a delicate operation. The soul knows how large the body it inhabits is supposed to be. It is not so big a deal, shrinking down the soul of a human to a body of a squirrel. That is merely the difference of one to a hundred. Manageable, comprehensible.

Necorax was as large as your stronghold, and the pet you are making for your daughter (daughter? Bathory seems sure, but you can never really KNOW before the kid comes, right?) is maybe one hundred thousandth the size of the true dragon.

(cont).
>>
>>43643239
But then, you are really good at what you do. You draw the spirit from your helm and transfer it into the tiny body of a

>Black
>Red
>White
>Green
>Gold
>Silver

dragon. It snorts and it yawns.

'I should be insulted, but it feels good to have any body at all,' Necorax says.

>Talk to the dragon, set out the house rules.
>See if Bathory's alright
>Other
>>
>>43643263
>Gold
>>
>>43643263
>>Silver
>>
>>43643263
>>Red
>>Talk to the dragon, set out the house rules.

Watch out for anything suspicious, don't hurt anyone, don't steal, don't eat anyone or anyone else's food and keep an I out for the other dragon he's just a kid.
>>
Just reminding dead we already have one tiny dragon in-case he forgot.
>>
>>43643263
>>Red
>>
>>43643263
>>Silver
>>Talk to the dragon, set out the house rules.
>>
>>43643263
>Silver
>>
'Vlad, do we not already have a tiny dragon?'
'That one... Is an idiot. We can have him as a back-up, but I'm not having him interact with our child.'
'She's going to be a baby. She won't know any better.'
'No. No way. Necorax will be a good role model.'
'The horrific draco-lich that nearly killed you will be a good role model?'
'She's clever. You can soften the edges.'
'I am here, you know. Master, or whatever.'
'Alright. So, my daughter is going to be born soon. You are to watch over her. You cause alarm if anything is suspect. You do not hurt anyone, unless either my child or Bathory are in direct danger. Don't take things that are not given to you.'
'I am to be... A pet? Not like I could say no, but... Well, I am shocked I am not repulsed by the idea.'
'You can talk to her. Make her strong and clever. But if Bathory tells you to shut up, you shut up, if she tells the child you're wrong, you explain to the child that you are wrong,'
'Vlad, why are we still calling her 'the child?''
'Because we do not give names before we know if the child is a boy or a girl,'
'I do know. She will be a girl.'

>'Very well, how about [write-in]?'
>'Very well, what do you think her name should be?'
>'No, we should keep to tradition. No name until she is born.'
>'How can you be so sure?'
>>
>>43643465
>>
>>43643465
>>'Very well, what do you think her name should be?
>>
>>43643465
>>'Very well, what do you think her name should be?'
>>
>>43643465
>>'No, we should keep to tradition. No name until she is born.'
Though we can talk about favourites. I like Irene. Or Nyx
>>
>>43643465
>>'Very well, what do you think her name should be?'
>>
>>43643465
>'No, we should keep to tradition. No name until she is born.'
>>
'How can you be so certain, love?'
'I don't know. But I know. So, you might as well listen to me,'
'Very well. What do you think the name should be?'
'Hmm, It should be an 'M' name, should it not?'
'Why do you say so?'
'Well, it is soft, but is not so weak as H or L, do you not think?'
'I do not think that Melandie is particularly soft.'
'Yes yes, but that's from the length and all the ds and the ns she has.'
'I give up. I have no idea what you mean.'
'Well, something like Mira? Mihnea?'
'Where did those come from?'
'Seems appropriate for a man in your position to have a daughter named Mihnea.'
'How so?'
'Pah, you don't understand anything,'

>'No, I really do. She should be named [write-in], because [write-in]'
>'I do not, but I do not like those names. Is there anything else?'
>'I'm still not sure. What if it's a boy and we give him a girl's name.'
>other
>>
You know.....we seem to forget that Bathory has an artificial body. Sure, it works just as well as a regular one, but we designed it to be MUCH tougher and durable than an average person. When she gives birth, there should be considerably less pain than most women in her position.
>>
>>43643656
>>'I'm still not sure. What if it's a boy and we give him a girl's name.'
Why is there no option for just liking the name?
>>
>>43643656
>>
>>43643656
>'I'm still not sure. What if it's a boy and we give him a girl's name.
>>
>>43643656
>'I'm still not sure. What if it's a boy and we give him a girl's name.'
Vlad II
>>
>>43643679
Because sometimes I derp. If you like one of the names,

>Like one of the names.
>>
>>43643702
Vlad II: Vlad Harder
>>
>>43643703
I actually liked Mihnea
>>
>>43643656
>>Like one of the names.
>>Mihnea
>>
File: Isn't that a woman's name.jpg (23 KB, 592x444) Image search: [Google]
Isn't that a woman's name.jpg
23 KB, 592x444
>>43643656
>>
'I'm still not sure, love, what if it is a boy and we give him a girls name?'
'Pah, you never trust me. Look, if it is a boy we can just call him Other Vlad, or the Second Vlad or however the ancients did it,'
'Vlad the Second? Hm, perhaps. I suppose it has served me well. I do like Mihnea for a girl. It is a good name. Strong.'
'A woman does not have to be strong,'
'But it helps, wouldn't you say?'
'Hmpf. I suppose so,'
'How about Necorax?' Says Necorax, 'No? Just my two pieces of copper.'
'What, copper?'
'Never mind, er, boss, right?' Necorax says. At first you suspected she was trying to insult you. You are now fairly certain that the dragon is merely terrible at being subordinate.
'Now, Vlad, I am going to sleep. I know you are not going to leave here, no matter what I say, but try to be quiet,'
'Of course, love.'

>Leave her to sleep. If anything happens you will be called [do what?]
>Wait here, just faff about with alchemy or the dragon for a bit.
>>
>>43643951
>>Wait here, just faff about with alchemy or the dragon for a bit.

Sometimes beeing a one-man geo-politic power has to wait.
>>
>>43643951
>>
>>43643951
>>Leave her to sleep. If anything happens you will be called by that ghost that silently patrols the temple. Just set it to guard mode.

In the meanwhile,
>just faff about with alchemy or the dragon for a bit.
>>
>>43643951
>>
>>43643951
Meditate to cleanse your mind and relax
>>
>>43643951
>>
>>43643951
Mediate and start buffing up our mind in preparation for dragon ascension!
>>
You have been practicing meditation recently. You know you are still just a beginner at the art, and that you will have to hone your discipline before you can attempt the change. But until then, you just practice. It will be good for your nerves in any case.

Roll 1d20+5 Discipline, DC 20 to advance, DC 25 to get Discipline 2
>>
Rolled 13 + 5 (1d20 + 5)

>>43644053
>>
Rolled 3 + 5 (1d20 + 5)

>>43644053
>>
>>43644053
>>
Rolled 7 + 5 (1d20 + 5)

>>43644053
>>
This is useless. You do manage to find some peace, but you know you are not making progress.You are starting to grasp the idea that you need to not do it for the promise of progress, but at the same time, this understanding is entirely worthless for you at this time.

You open your eyes three hours later. It is dark now. Nobody's bothered you. The world is empty but for you and Bathory, and she is asleep.

You try reading, but that seems too passive for you. You decide you either have to try to rest yourself, or you have to do something.

>Take a walk.
>Practice some alchemy.
>Just try to sleep.
>>
>>43644146
>>Practice some alchemy.
>>
>>43644146
>Practice some alchemy.

Maybe we can make a potion that doesn't increase our intelligence, but rather our wisdom. That way we can try meditation again and achieve a higher meaning and understanding from it.
>>
>>43644146
>Practice some alchemy.
>>
>>43644146
>Take a walk.
>>
>>43644146
>Just try to sleep.
>>
>>43644168
seconded, working towards something to help with becoming a dragon seems like a good use of time
>>
>>43644146
This right here>>43644168
>>
>>43644053
dice+1d20+5
>>
>>43644146
Support >>43644168
>>
Roll 1d20+7 alchemy, DC 22,
Roll 1d5 potency if successful, first roll only
>>
Rolled 7 + 7 (1d20 + 7)

>>43644234
>>
Rolled 1 + 7 (1d20 + 7)

>>43644234
>>
Rolled 5 + 5 (1d20 + 5)

>>43644053
>>
Rolled 19 + 7 (1d20 + 7)

>>43644234
>>
>>43644241
>>43644246
>>43644247
wow just wow
>>
Rolled 4 (1d5)

>>43644246
Does our alchemy skill increase?
>>43644234
>>
>>43644260
we are the crack bitch.
>>
Rolled 9 + 5 (1d20 + 5)

>>43644053
>>
>>43644287
why is this happening
>>
I get the feeling that we burned up all of our luck in that battle with pern's followers.
>>
>>43644246
Well... looks like bathory ain't gonna be asleep for much longer
>>
Critical Failure! On the one hand, Alchemy 4 progress [2/4], on the other:

You sink into the rhythm of the work. You skip some of the precautions, choosing to bypass a step of air-tight isolation to instead go for a quick pour. The fumes that originate are sickly sweet and purple, and while you are certain that very little of the substance spreads into the room, you take a great big breath of it.

And everything feels really fuzzy. Especially your brain. And you are peaceful. Man, like, you've created life. It is like, ridiculous to be so stressed out over this, you know?

Wow, like, you've never really noticed the COLOURS in this room, y'know.

>Wake up Bathory, tell her about the colours.
>Create, like, some music, you know.
>Call the council. Tell them about the colours.
>>
>>43644321
>>Wake up Bathory, tell her about the colours
Alright, this is hilarious
>>
>>43644321
We can't critfail alchemy due to dragon's blood though.
>>
>>43644321
kek I think I just got us High as a kite!
>>
>>43644321
>>Create, like, some music, you know.
should be intresting
>>
>>43644349
It's not a poison anon, this is fine look at the coloooooors
>>
>>43644321
>>Create, like, some music, you know.
>>
>>43644321
>>
You hum a little tune.

Man, you never noticed how great your baritone is. You should really explore that. You try to hit lower notes. Then higher. Then you piece bits of it together.

Not, this is not enough. You clang some of your instruments together. Now you're getting somewhere. If you hit them with metal they sound like so much harsher than by hand.

Wait, wouldn't this sound better on leather?

You find a hollow log and stretch some leather over it. You've been fairly quiet up to this point. You start beating your drum.

Man, this is awesome, and if you sing along, then, it's like, woah. And the shouting woman in the background actually gives it like, some nice contrast. It's so cool the way you can see music. You never used to be able to do that.

Man, the shouting was cool at first, but it is really ruining your vibe right about now. What is it anyways?

'Vladimir Tepish, by all the gods in the sky I will kill you, fucking hellfire the baby is coming!'

You do not know what a record scratch is, and yet you hear it clearly.

'Oh, oh shit. Oh shit. Oooooh shit. Melandie! Anybody! Baby is happening! Wooooo!'
'What the fuck is wrong with you?'
'It's like, I mean I affected... effected?... affected! The right part of the brain, but I don't think, like it went quite how I meant to. It's cool though, I'm just going with the flow,' you realize that Bathory started screaming at the first 'affected'
'-AAAAAHHH, GET SOMEONE THAT'S NOT RETARDED IN HERE!'
'That's super rude, love,'

But she just, like keeps screaming, so you get the first person you can think of.

'What the fuck Vlad, what the fuck am I supposed to know about delivering fucking babies,' Melandie says on the way back to Bathory's room.
'It's cool, I've got like hot water and silk and such,'
'What the fuck am I supposed to do with them?'
'Man, Melandie, have I ever told you you totally sound like Bathory,'
'Vlad, I swear you need a punch in the face right now,'
(cont.)
>>
>>43644606
Drugs: not even once.
>>
I'm laughing so hard right now
>>
Remind yourself to wear a mask next time you try alchemy.
>>
>>43644708
Not just that, get one of the other humans residing in the village to be hired as a personal tester for potions. Most of them are only for beneficial effects, so there should not be too much opposition to the idea.
>>
'See what I mean? We need to help you though. I mean, help Bathory. Melandie?' You wait for her response, 'Melandie?'
'What?'
'I'm scared,' you say and start crying. You try to hug Melandie while you are both rushing towards Bathory, and mostly manage falling flat on your face.

That's cool though.

Maybe you did need a punch in the face.

Well, nothing to be done now. Melandie will have to do.

And you are quite certain you won't ever be skipping any parts of alchemical preparation and safety procedures ever again, even if you live forever.

Your mind is a fuzzy mess, but at least you feel it now. You can just about focus through it.

'Right, Melandie, sorry, alchemical accident, like totally a bad batch of some shit. But I don't really trust anyone else, so there, you're it.'
'Fuck, Vlad, I'll do what I can.'
'Good. Because I can't really feel my fingers.'
'Fucking hell Vlad, no more alchemy before anything important,'
'Could've happened to anybody. Man, I never knew smelling colours could be so distracting,'

You get to Bathory, and the... operation begins. You are quite certain you would have no idea what is going on, even if you had your full faculties at your disposal. Mostly you are not allowed to watch, but you see Melandie swearing a lot and Bathory screaming. And then them switching places.

Not like, physically, you know man, but like, in their souls.

No. Focus.

It takes a long time, which is lucky. You sober up significantly, and you will at least not first see your daughter off your tits high. The fuzzy feeling becomes just a little numbness as you eventually regain your mind.

And then it is over. A tiny, black haired child is born. It is a girl, just like Bathory always knew. You call her Mihnea, just as you had planned, and the dragon greets her together with you.

You hold her in your arms and the entire world changes. Melandie leaves, after washing herself and the child.
(cont.)
>>
>>43644749
We could create a human body with alchemy just for this purpose too.
>>
>>43644789
True, very true!
>>
'She needs to eat, Vlad!'
'Oh, of course, sorry,' you hand her back to Bathory.

You, Bathory and Mihnea sleep together in a fresh pile of furs and silks you had been preparing for the last hour or so, just as you realized that you were being obnoxiously useless.

'Isn't she perfect?' you say.
'The most perfect thing in the world,' Bathory says.

Just as you start falling asleep a thought hits you. Aren't babies supposed to cry when they are born?

The morning comes, and you know you have to leave and soon. If you don't want to miss your daughters childhood, you better get this immortality thing over with quickly.

>Go into the mountains now.
>Do something else to prepare.
>>
>>43644839
>>Do something else to prepare.
Check on baby, not crying is odd. Also try that wisdom potion again.
>>
>>43644839
Lets try meditating one last time before we go, one day wont lose us anything important, right?
>>
>>43644839
why are we goin to the mountains?
>>
>>43644866
this
>>
>>43644839
>>Do something else to prepare
>>43644857
this
>>
>>43644839
Since Bathory has a tough body made from alchemy, maybe the baby inherited some of that toughness?
>>
When you awake, you find that your daughter is just a perfectly healthy and normal child. She cries when she wants food or affection, and she shits everywhere. As far as you are aware, that is the entirety of what babies do, and yet you remain fascinated by it.

When Bathory kicks you out of the room for whatever reason you meditate. It is good practice, but you know that you need to learn the truth of it, you need to go into the complete isolation of the tallest mountain nearby. You need to be in the same position that those many wise men have been in over the centuries, and you need to learn such discipline as they did.

You spend a few days in your stronghold, just to make certain that both the Bathory and the child are healthy and that the Alliance will not fall apart in your absence.

And then you set out. You go alone. It feels right, and you have a suspicion that this will have a lot to do with feeling and instinct. You do not ride either, you walk, and find yourself unused to the feeling of long, hard walking. You find it good.

You had managed to lose a skill you'd forgotten that you ever had. The mind is not such a solid thing that it cannot be molded and shaped. You reach the mountains, and the peak of the tallest one is harsh. It will be a hard climb in any case, but you know there is a relatively easier approach from the other side. Of course, you would have to walk around a mountain, which could take days.

>Take the long road.
>Take the steep road.
>>
>>43645064
>Take the long road.
>>
>>43645064
>>Take the steep road.
We can do this!
>>
>>43645064
>>Take the long road.
>>
>>43645064
>>Take the steep road.
>>
>>43645064
>>Take the steep road.
We overcome adversity. Mental training too.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

>>43645064
>>Take the steep road.
What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>43645064
Take the difficult one, i'm thinking shortcuts may have a bad end effect for some reason or another
>>
File: 40keks.jpg (3 KB, 125x108) Image search: [Google]
40keks.jpg
3 KB, 125x108
>>43645110
>>
>>43645110
Everything apparently
>>
>>43645064
>>Take the steep road.
>>
>>43645064
>>Take the steep r-
>>43645110
NOPE
>Take the long road.
>>
>>43645064
>Take the long road.
>>
You decide to test yourself. You know that you can reach the top of the mountain if you go around it. You know that you can make the long trek required, and you would get there. It would merely be a matter of time.

So, you approach it head on, directly and from the front. No mountain is going to stand against Vlad Tepish. You are going to conquer it and you are going to do it in the most difficult possible way. You climb.

It is most surprising to you, how long of a time it takes for you to even reach the real adversity. It seems almost like most of the mountain is made merely to tire you out by the time you reach the real challenges. And what is more, often, when something looks like a sheer cliff from a distance, it is in fact all but a well-trod path once you get there.

You walk on. It was inevitable, you suppose. You see human figures. These must be the people that chose to stay in the mountains rather than join the alliance.

>Speak to them.
>Walk past them.
>Sneak by them.
>Kill them all.
>>
>>43645196
>Speak to them.
>Walk past them.
>>
>>43645196
>>Speak to them.
>>
>>43645196
>Speak to them.
Ask them if they know any meditating monks from around here.
>>
>>43645196
>Speak to them.

Maybe they're monks or something?

Vlad diplomacy, go!
>>
>>43645196
>>Walk past them.
>>
>>43645228
>Maybe they're monks or something?
>Vlad diplomacy, go!

>"We have sworn never to commit violence. But by the Gods I am going to slap your shit in, sir!"
>>
>>43645196
>Speak to them.
>>
>>43645228
>Vlad diplomacy, go!
There is only one way this can go.
>>43645110
>>
>>43645196
>>Speak to them.
Be cautious and rdy for a fight
>>
>>43645196
We took our blackgaurds with us right? It'd be stupid if we didn't since a war just recently ended.
>>
Just because these people are not immediately useful to you does not mean that you should not be civil. If you are going to live forever, after all, it does not pay to have enemies. You will have friends, and you will have those that will be eliminated to the last man.

'Greetings,'
'Oh, Vlad Tepish. Just leave us be,'
'I assure you this meeting is of chance. I mean you no harm,'
'Right, sure,' One says
'Never did, I reckon.' Says another.
'Ungh' says the third.
'Why did you choose not to join?'
'Can't rightly say I like the idea of someone I don't know bossing me around.' says the first.
'Does seem a bit too organized,' says the second.
'Ugh,' says the third.
'How are the mountains?'
'Hard.'
'Quiet.'
'Meh.'

And with that simple exchange of pleasantries you move on. You've got to admit. You have come to fear social interactions such as that one. You can never predict if the other party is going to be reasonable. And yet, you are willing to take the chance. If there is a chance to talk things out you will take it. If there is a chance to make friends, you will make it.

You proceed upwards, and finally, you reach the sheer rock wall. It does not seem nearly so sheer as it did from the distance, but also it seems ever so much larger. You decide there is nothing to it, and after a short breather and some snacks start the climb.

This is exhausting. You are not even a third of the way through when the sun sets. There are some rather large ledges, but at this altitude, on this kind of a rock, a large ledge merely means there is just about enough space for one man to lay down.

>Sleep on the wall
>Keep climbing through the night
>>
>>43645358
>>Keep climbing through the night
PERSEVERE
>>
>>43645358
>>
>>43645358
>>
>>43645358
Dragons don't get tired
>>
>>43645358
>Sleep on the wall
>>
>>43645358
Gumption!
>>
Roll endurance 1d20+2 for effect
>>
>>43645358

if we have to, could we convince the earth spirits to help us out and make it an easier climb?
>>
Rolled 15 + 2 (1d20 + 2)

>>43645413
>>
Rolled 15 + 2 (1d20 + 2)

>>43645413
Let's see if I can roll another 1
>>
Rolled 7 + 2 (1d20 + 2)

>>43645413
>>
Rolled 12 + 2 (1d20 + 2)

>>43645413
WHITE WHALE
>>
Rolled 2 + 2 (1d20 + 2)

>>43645413
>>
17! Solidly above average!

It is foolish, but you are not one for giving up. You climb, and you climb and you climb, as even the night sky turns dark. The stars come out, and they are brighter here than ever you have seen. You could swear that they are lighting your way better than even sunlight was hours before.

It takes hours, hell it is getting close to the morning light by the time that you get onto land even enough to call the end of the cliff. You climb, and just as you think that you are on even enough ground to stand up straight, your foot slips. There is a tiny sliver of an evergreen bush growing in the cracks on the rock face.

>Grab for the ledge.
>Grab for the bush.
>Use magic to help you
>>
>>43645497
>>Use magic to help you
>>
>>43645497
>>Use magic to help you
wild shape into a bird
>>
>>43645497
>Grab for the ledge.

Bush is a metaphor or something, don't damage it. Also magic is cheating, which would negatively impact our meditation stuff i think.
>>
>>43645497
>Grab for the ledge.
If we fall then turn into bird
>>
>>43645497
>Grab for the ledge.
>>
>>43645497
>>Grab for the ledge.
>>43645527
As he said
>>
>>43645497
>>Grab for the ledge.
>>
>43645497
>Grab for the ledge.

Magic is too easy, can't rely on it here. bush is probably something like >>43645518 said.
>>
>>43645497
>Grab for the ledge.
>>
'Shit, the bush is probably a metaphor or something,' you think as you grab onto the ledge. It bites you hard as your entire weight is focused on your fingers and sharp rock, but you hold on enough to balance yourself, and to finish the climb.

You can see the peak now. It is maybe an hour more of walking.

>Rest. Reach it with a clear mind.
>Go there. No metaphor shall stand in your way.
>>
>>43645569
>>Go there. No metaphor shall stand in your way.
We're almost there, who'd give up now?
>>
>>43645569
>>Rest. Reach it with a clear mind.
>'Shit, the bush is probably a metaphor or something,
Sounds like Vlad is crazy.
>>
>>43645569
Examine the bush, if we can still see it.

If not:

We cant be rushing all the time, gotta have patience as well as gumption.
>>
>>43645569

We should try to understand the bush while we are at it. Doing that will get us in the mindset we need for when we get to the peak.
>>
>>43645569
>>
>anons believe it is a metaphor and not literally a bush
LOL
>>
>>43645602
Exactly, we're on some kind of fantasy vision quest here, gotta get all spiritual up in this bitch.

Also, Vlad diplomacy on the bush
>>
>>43645569
>>
>>43645632
I bet we could harvest the bush to make materials for basketweaving.
>>
>>43645569
>>
>>43645569
>>
You find a relatively even place on the ground, throw down your cloak and go to sleep. You had no idea that you were quite so tired. You forgot all about exhaustion several hours back, but now that you have time to contemplate it.as you are trying to go to sleep, you realize you are actually too tired to do so.

You sit straight up annoyed. You poke at the bush a little. It appears to be a perfectly innocent bush. Aside from fragile life making its way in this hostile environment there is nothing metaphorical about it. And, of course, you know better than most that ALL life is fragile, and making the best of itself stuck to a rock.

Finally you do manage to sleep. You awake around noon, and the sun is high in orbit by the time you reach the peak of the mountain.

Roll meditation 1d20+5, DC 20 to finish by nightfall.
>>
Rolled 16 + 5 (1d20 + 5)

>>43645671
>>
Rolled 2 + 5 (1d20 + 5)

>>43645671
>>
Rolled 13 + 5 (1d20 + 5)

>>43645671
>>
Rolled 2 + 5 (1d20 + 5)

>>43645671
Nat 1
>>
21! Blackjack!

You focus on the presence here. You focus on not casting magic. You focus on your own sense of isolation and... There is nothing. Certainly, this is a good place to practice discipline- no distractions, no noise, nothing but you and the universe, but other than that, you do not feel anything particularly special.

It is only by late afternoon, several hours later that a small mistake gives you the answer. You let slip your control for a fraction of a second and you commune with the local land spirits. The spirit of the mountain is a creature beyond years and a creature of calm, patience and contemplation. It could help you.

>But you want to do this yourself. Do the best you can to learn meditation without the help of even spirits.
>And you will ask it nicely.
>And you will command it to lend you aid.
>>
>>43645761
>>And you will ask it nicely.
>>
>>43645761
>>But you want to do this yourself. Do the best you can to learn meditation without the help of even spirits.

Dragon Arrogance hooooooooooooooooooo
>>
>>43645761

Don't let that dragon arrogance shine through before we even become one.
>>
>>43645761
>>But you want to do this yourself. Do the best you can to learn meditation without the help of even spirits.
>>
>>43645761
>>
>>43645761
It's like finding the oldest monk of them all.
>>
>>43645761
>>>And you will ask it nicely.
>>
>>43645761
>>
We ever give that conjurer in a rock a look at or is he still in like the sock drawer?
>>
>>43645761
>>
'Hello,' you say.

Minutes pass. You are deep inbetween a ritualistic trance and a mundane meditation. You are certain the spirit heard you.

Fifteen minutes pass. Half an hour.

'Interesting,' there is no noise, but the feeling of the thought shakes your bones, 'You wait even though you will die soon. You speak to me in man language. And you greet me as equal. Interesting.'

'I hope that is fine,'

Once more you wait a long time for a reply.

'Politeness. It is good, but I am tired of it. Everyone that greets me is so very polite. Do I scare them so much?'

'Perhaps. I am polite to most who I meet,'

'Not to my brother. You broke him to crush those black elves.'
'I didn't know the depth of your spirits. I am sorry,'

'Honesty is good. Everything dies, I know. What do you want, human?'
'I want to not die. To do that, I need to strengthen my mind,'

'You do? Hmm. Not very good at strong minds, humans. Flexible, yes. Quick. But strong?'
'I am a wizard, and I have trained discipline.'

'And I have trained to be quick and witty. I am still a mountain.'
'Is there nothing you can teach me?'

'There is much.'

And then you get started. It takes weeks for you to even understand what the mountain is saying. You never do, not really, until you understand that the state of meditation- where your heart-beat drops, where your pupils dilate, and where your breathing slows to a few breaths a minute would be a frantic panic to the mountain.

And slowly, you learn. You learn how being one with yourself is just as important as being one with the universe. You learn to both focus your mind and to lose your identity completely. And you learn it all within the context of the mountain. It would take a lifetime otherwise.

>While on the mountain, you gain +2 Discipline, making your effective discipline +3

>Do it now. Become a dragon.
>Wait. Do something else first.
>>
>>43645902
>>Do it now. Become a dragon.
>>
>>43645902
>>Do it now. Become a dragon.
>>
>>43645902

>Do it now. Become a dragon.
>>
>>43645902
I feel like we aren't strong enough yet... But I don't know what else to do.

Maybe try to boost our Enchantment?
>>
>>43645939
Whoops. Also meant to add,"Thank the mountain spirit for all that it has done so far".
>>
>>43645902
Learn enchantment first
>>
>>43645902
Can we practice enchantment for a bit first? or maybe learn a rank in discipline?

Also thank the mountain
>>
Roll 1d20+10 DC 24 for a relatively easy transformation
>>
>>43645902
Let's work on actually increaseing enchantment and dicipline.
>>
Rolled 11 + 10 (1d20 + 10)

>>43645998
>>
Rolled 6 + 10 (1d20 + 10)

>>43645998
>>
Guys, I have to advance the plot at some point. When I ask if Vlad is going to do 'something' I do not generally mean 'give up, go home and grind some exp'
>>
Rolled 16 + 10 (1d20 + 10)

>>43645998
>>
>>43646028
praise be anon, praise be
>>
>>43646028
>26
>>
>>43646018
Guess I misunderstood that, because I thought coming to the mountain was to actually advance our skills first in enchantment and Dicipline by meditating before attempting this.
>>
This is my favorite quest
>>
You sit down in a meditative position.

You steel your mind.

You begin shaping your body.

At first it is simple. the lizard-like features are easy. The wings come without much trouble, the size you can work with. And then, when you get to the part where you would be changing the nature of your head and its contents, when you start noticing the impact upon your mind.

At first you think it is going to be just a struggle of will, that you would simply have to resist a sort of a mental pressure.

But this being high draconic magic, of course it is not quite so easy.

At least, when you enter your mind as you would when communing with a spirit, or when an enchanter might when attempting to dominate someone else, you know instinctively that you are in the position of power.

But you also feel the other presence immediately.

You know that the dragon you were going for is not half as large. It is not even a tenth. The dragon that is within your mind is the size of the very mountain you are sitting atop.

'Ah, me. A pleasure to meat myself. Now, I shall be taking over,' the dragon spirit says.
'That will not happen. You know that you would be at a disadvantage to strike now,'
'And you? What could you possibly do?'

>Kill it. Destroy all remnants of the draconic personality imprint and retain absolute and certain control of your mind. You'll have to fight a dragon, but it's only in your head, right?
>Subdue it. It is, in a strange way, a part of you. Furthermore, you are certain there is power in that spirit. If handled carefully you could draw from it in emergencies.
>Co-habit with it. Its greed and innate will for dominance will likely make it betray you and seek to take control. Until then, however, you would have even more power. And you could always fight it whenever it inevitably stabs you in the back.
>Trick it. [write-in]
>Other
>>
>>43646028
Nice save
>>
>>43646182
>Subdue it. It is, in a strange way, a part of you. Furthermore, you are certain there is power in that spirit. If handled carefully you could draw from it in emergencies.
>>
>>43646182
>>Subdue it. It is, in a strange way, a part of you. Furthermore, you are certain there is power in that spirit. If handled carefully you could draw from it in emergencies.
>>
>>43646182
>Kill it. Destroy all remnants of the draconic personality imprint and retain absolute and certain control of your mind. You'll have to fight a dragon, but it's only in your head, right?
>>
>>43646182
>>Kill it. Destroy all remnants of the draconic personality imprint and retain absolute and certain control of your mind. You'll have to fight a dragon, but it's only in your head, right?
>>
>>43646182
>>
>>43646182
>>Subdue it. It is, in a strange way, a part of you. Furthermore, you are certain there is power in that spirit. If handled carefully you could draw from it in emergencies.
>>
>>43646182
>>Kill it. Destroy all remnants of the draconic personality imprint and retain absolute and certain control of your mind. You'll have to fight a dragon, but it's only in your head, right?

We don't need the risk of losing our mind to a being of insatiable greed and hunger constantly. Besides we're going to be a dragon ourselves, so we don't need this guy at all. He seems like a jerk anyway.

No matter how fun it would be to try vlad diplomacy on it, though since it IS us, we'd both probably fumble and end up in some awkward situation
>>
>>43646182
>>
>>43646182
I vote to be a black dragon
>>
>>43646182
>>
>>43646182
>Other
Consume it. As the snake eats it's own tail, so shall you consume yourself and grow stonger for it, and be reborn again.
>>
>>43646182
>>
>>43646283
I change my vote from >>43646263
to >>43646283
>>
>>43646182
>>
>>43646182
>>
Veery close call.
Will call it for subjugation, but sealed away much deeper than originally intended.

'I will take you on, I will break you, I will make a prison for you and I will hold you within it for all eternity.'
'Will I now? I'd like to see me try,'

Roll intelligence 1d20+4 DC 18
>>
Rolled 9 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>43646320
>>
>>43646182

Why is this even contentious?
>>
>>43646283
This
>>
>>43646320
>>
Rolled 3 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>43646320
>>
Rolled 2 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>43646320
>>
Rolled 6 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>43646320
>>
Rolled 2 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>43646320
>>
>>43646331
>>43646345
>>43646351
god fucking damnit
>>
>>43646320
fuck can't roll

>>43646343
>>
>>43646320
I'd say fusing with the dragon would probably be the idea...

Or we stick this dragon in another false body and soon we'll have three homonculi dragon that can merge together to create MEGAMONCULI!
>>
>>43646363
Goes in the options field, not the name.
>>
>>43646320
Can we just have like a once volume re-roll?
>>
>>43646331
>>43646345
>>43646351

Well, at least the dragon is technically us right? Heres hoping he has our luck, too.
>>
Rolled 18 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>43646343
just want to know it now

>>43646378
thx
>>
12! Failure!
>There is one hidden fault in the seal at this point.

You intend to overwhelm it. You know you are merely a construct of thought, and so there is no reason to remain in your human form. You think of what could defeat a dragon of such size.

You know of one way to defeat giant and powerful dragons. You turn into your undead, as they would be if they numbered in the millions not in the hundreds and you assault the dragon-you en masse.

It seems hurt, but as you truly gain the upper hand, it shatters into a million paladins of Pern, just like the one you fought in your Stronghold, like the one that is your blackguard now. You can't help but feel you've missed something.

Roll 1d20+4 intelligence, DC 18
>>
Rolled 9 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>43646416
>>
Rolled 10 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>43646416
this time!
>>
Rolled 1 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>43646416
rolling
>>
Rolled 13 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>43646416
>>
Rolled 11 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>43646416
Hope all you subdue people are happy.
>>
>>43646443
oh for fuck's sake
>>
>>43646443
fucking hell man
>>
>>43646430
>>43646435
>>43646443
>>43646450
GOD FUCKING DAMNIT
>>
>>43646430
>>43646435
>>43646443
Seriously dead a throw us a bone here
>>
I knew I should had expected absolute fail and I am still mad.
>>
File: hopeful.png (113 KB, 525x550) Image search: [Google]
hopeful.png
113 KB, 525x550
Did we get em?
>>
>>43646451
Killing would've been harder, it's also not like the vote result would change the dice
>>
>>43646475
uhhh ...vlads just going away for a while to the farm where all necromancers go at some point
>>
>>43646484
Technically the die are dependent on a RNG that uses time as an input. Even a second of difference would result in a different roll
>>
>>43646507
Still, the vote choice weren't the cause
>>
>>43646484
Would it really have been harder though? It seems like it would be easier to kill something than lock it away forever.

goddamn, i'm so salty right now.
>pictures of fries
Captcha gets it
>>
>>43646516
That's what I assumed, killing it would probably be a lot harder. It is a fuck mothering huge dragon.

Dead Please, mercy , a re-roll anything
>>
this......this might actually be the end for us. we might be rollplaying a dragon instead of a nice calm necromancer
>>
File: I'm about to fucking snap.jpg (17 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
I'm about to fucking snap.jpg
17 KB, 460x276
>>43646443
>>
Nat 1! Critical Failure!

There is one hidden fault in the seal. There is one critical fault in the seal. This critical might be relevant after the rules overhaul.

The good news is that that was the last roll for it regardless.

And you turn into the person that killed the paladin. You channel Melandie's rage, as if she was here herself. You lose yourself in her particular brand of madness and you slaughter the paladins of your mind. And they turn into Lathrien, reaching out to suck the life blood out of you, and you turn back into yourself and order it to stop. It turns into Bathory, and tells you it hates you, but you turn into the illness that killed her.

You twist and you turn. The battle rages on for what feels like hours, and every minute you change either your own shape, or the conditions of the head-space.

It ends, as both of you are dragons, fighting atop a mountain. Finally, you get the upper hand, the mountain becomes the inside of a cage, you turn into a mouse and scuttle out, and then imagine links upon links upon links of chains, made of magic and of discipline.

'Your first-born son will have my mind,' the dragon says, 'that is my curse to you, human.'

A cold shiver goes down your spine. You know it to be true.

And all of a sudden you are on top of a mountain, in your new draconic form. You are large- not Necorax large, but large enough to battle the whelp you beat all those months ago even without magic.

You are mostly black, but there are thin silver lines patterned all over your draconic body. On closer inspection, if you wish to allow anyone to do one, the tiny links of chains can be seen.

>Try out your wings, throw acid at something, roar. Try out dragony things.
>Transform back to Vlad-form. You've had enough dragon business for now.
>>
>>43646544
Dragon's minds are a lot stronger than their bodies though, which is the whole point of coming up the mountain to meditate to steel ourselves, remember? We already killed two dragons already, this is like the equivalent of trying to bind one right at the beginning of a fight i feel, and we've always seen that as kind of a stupid idea.

Ah well, my body is ready, dead do your worst
>>
File: 1428812504056.jpg (147 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1428812504056.jpg
147 KB, 960x720
>>43646585
>>
>>43646585
>Try out your wings, throw acid at something, roar. Try out dragony things.
So girls only now?
>>
>>43646585
>>Try out your wings, throw acid at something, roar. Try out dragony things
Oh baby

>>43646586
Well we freaked out for nothing, except for all the Rampant Paranoia we're going to have.
>>
>>43646585
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.