[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm trying to get my fairly normie real life pals to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: shim.jpg (318 KB, 1200x1161) Image search: [Google]
shim.jpg
318 KB, 1200x1161
So I'm trying to get my fairly normie real life pals to try out a session, I'm pretty much going to create a very simple system and pull whatever pieces I want from other systems as well.

Any tips? Any advice? Are there any other games made with newbies/normies in mind?
>>
>>47008135
Well which systems have you, personally, played so far?

In a general sense, I've found that what's probably the best thing for newbies is shorter lists of options. New players typically don't want to pore over the book trying to figure out what's going to be good and when so they can pick the best perk/feat/whatever out of the list of 100+. I personally tend to just assume my first character in any game (P&P or vidya) is going to have some kind of horrible mistake involved in it somewhere so it's nice when I only have around 10-20 options to pick from and know things will be slightly easier than normal, so I don't have to worry.
>>
>>47008135
Risus or Lasers and Feelings
>>
>>47008135

Anon, listen to me: take a preesistent system. Dont' homebrew it for the first session.

It needs to be simple (hell, think carefully if you want them to to make their own sheets, possibly best thing is to make them yourself), but overall, use something you already know.
>>
>>47008842
I could see it working if anon homebrewed a super simple system (like, on the level of complexity of Lasers and Feelings), but anything more than that is likely to not work well.
>>
>>47009429

Even then, there are good super-duper simple games out there.

Well, that's my advice, nobody is gonna be killed if a game night goes wrong.

OP, I'll add: possibly think of something... not exactly generic, but pretty much something everyone at your tabel is familiar with. The most simple method is to decide to emulate a tv series you all like and watch.

The usual trappings of DND don't work that well in my experience, if everyone isn't a half nerd already.
>>
>>47008135

Rin, that's not the correct ratio for AT!

You stupid bitch, shorten those stockings by at least half an inch, if not a full one!
>>
>>47009710
What "ratio"? Any space between bottom of skirt and stockings counts as ZR, doesn't it? Where are you getting this ratio from?
As a ZR purist, I implore you to reconsider. There is beauty in all ratios of thigh exposure to stocking length.
>>
>>47009620
Been playing and am preparing my own DnD 5e game. Looks to be a nice simplification of the whole thing so far. While all the races and classes are there, no combination is strictly a mistake and the options are reasonably limited. Each level comes with a neat set of choices, and feats are an optional thing one can trade features for rather than a big mandatory mess. That said, I am absolutely certain there are better choices for a first game. Much worse options too, but better is out there.
>>
>>47008135
Don't. Play a game that has been playtested. How should newbs be into playtesting ffs?

For a first time?
Dread, Lasers and Feelings, maybe Fate Accelerated, or Monsters and Other Childish Things.
>>
>>47008135
Swords and Wizardry. Give them some dungeons and give them some dragons.
>>
>>47010024
>am preparing my own DnD
Yeah. We know your kind.
Sorry, but we just lost all respect.
Not that it's wrong, but it's noobish.
Have fun, but please don't explain.
>>
>>47010024

To me seems too complicated. I wouldn't even consider DND for a first time game, even if considerably simpler.

>to be fair though I loathe almost any DND edition
>>
Yeah, make an interesting world and game and THEN worry about the system. No matter what system you use, a boring or shitty game is still boring and shitty. Prepare for it, but have a lot of fun with it in terms of flexibility, no one likes rules bogging down everything, especially in their first game.
>>
>>47010132
LotFP is breddy cool
Not for nubs though
>>
Drunken Bear RPG. Don't be afraid to make people laugh.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.