[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fowg/ - Force of Will General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 15
File: balanced.jpg (40 KB, 341x480) Image search: [Google]
balanced.jpg
40 KB, 341x480
1st edition edition.

How to play:
http://fowtavern.com/how_to_play_force_of_will/

Budget decks for new players:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FoWtcg/comments/34wa9o/a_couple_fow_budget_decks_more_to_come_eventually/

Rulebook PDF:
http://fowtcg.com/pdf/FoW_CR_5.4_20160308.pdf

If this general can stick around, feel free to add more links, it's pretty barebones.
>>
>>47022134
Gwiber is best dragon
>>
Is it worth playing? I don't like getting into TCGs and wasting money on boosters where there are a lot of other games where I don't have to chase rares.
>>
>>47023035
The most expensive card you might want to use is getting rotated out in September. Most rares can be obtained for less than 5 dollars, and the rulers range from 3-15 typically but you only need one. In general packs are nice 3 bucks nets you 1 or 2 rares and the commons are playable. The game is cheap if you don't foil it out, and even then the most expensive card is a $1000 gold plated tournament prize. There are currently 8 sets in standard 5 of those will be rotated out in September, the Aria and Pricia trial decks are a good place to start as they give decent directions to build. Word of warning do not buy from walmart, target or toys r us packs cost 4 at target and walmart and 5 at toys r us, while the trail decks cost 20 at walmart and 26 at toys r us. You can get packs from your local store for 3 and the trail decks for 16, at least that's what it is here.
>>
>>47023035
It's cheap, but the gameplay is terrible.
>>
>>47023035
Force of Will is actually a lot cheaper than most card games. I'd say go for it.

>>47023509
How is it bad? It's weaboo magic.
>>
>>47023843
I think the monsters being monster removal is nice and other than the mana and inflated numbers that's the only real difference between this and magic.
>>
>>47023478
>The most expensive card you might want to use is getting rotated out in September.

More like June unless you run ARGs
>>
>>47023509
>gameplay is terrible.
I strongly disagree.
It is damn near impossible to get manascrewed in this game, meaning the amount of games that are resolved prematurely by people getting bricked on lands is significantly less.
It feels like both players are allowed to play the game, even if one is a control deck.
>>
File: CALAMITOUS DAMAGE.jpg (168 KB, 362x506) Image search: [Google]
CALAMITOUS DAMAGE.jpg
168 KB, 362x506
What's a fun budget deck? I've tried card soldiers and I really like them.
>>
>>47024238
Mana screw is intrinsic in design and is actually one of the reasons the game works. It creates an exciting level of variance in the game, adds more skill to deckbuilding and makes sure that sometimes, every now and then, the noob can feel good about themselves for not getting roflstomped by the pro.

Also, the rules for Field additions were changed, just because the designer wanted his Vamp deck to be stronger, not for any other gameplay reason.

>>47023843
If you want a weeb game that is actually well designed, go play Wixoss.
inb4 that guy posts about fucking Piruluk, like always
>>
File: WX04-023.png (927 KB, 502x700) Image search: [Google]
WX04-023.png
927 KB, 502x700
>>47025017
I want to fuck Iona.
>>
>>47025017
>Allows for more lucksacking
>Prevents people from playing the game
>One of the reasons the game is good

Anon, you're gonna have to bait harder than that. Nobody has fun when someone can't even play the damn game.
>>
>>47025850
The people who get mad about mana screw are always the ones who never understand why it's important. Did I say it was GOOD? No, I said it's one of the reasons the game WORKS. Sure, it sucks when it happens to you, but it IS important to the game's design. Magic WOULD be a worse game without it, but it is by no means the reason why Magic is good.

I think you'll find I didn't start off by mentioning mana screw. That was >>47024238 and I was merely replying to that comment.

Because, and here's the kicker, I don't think you can even talk about "mana screw" when comparing Magic and FoW, because they're different beasts in the different games. Magic has mana screw built into it by design and would be WORSE if it was gone. It's too important to the way cards are built and analysed and how decks are constructed, etc etc. but FoW took it out and made it work for it in a different way and FoW would be worse if you COULD get mana screwed. I mean, you can still get color screw, but hey, if you want no screw ever and you can play all your shit and pop off like you're on Ritalin, go play YuGiOh.

Which leads me to just why I think the gameplay is terrible and why Wixoss is pretty much the only Eastern designed TCG I think is good. That's because all Eastern designed TCG's seem to focus around two things:

1. Every deck is Eggs. Card A chains into Card B chains into Card C chains into Card D. I like toolbox decks, sure. I'm a Sliver man at heart, but holy shit, can we not go at 400mph?

2. Everything is broken, so nothing is broken. It's a mad dash to just see who can hyperspeed combo out their one big boss and/or finisher in a ridiculous race to the finish line. It's pure Timmy play at its finest.

cont.
>>
>>47026372

Even Wixoss suffers from these things, just to a far lesser degree, in my opinion, that doesn't overshadow everything else. I've lost to Yuzuki 2-stop, even after playing my fuckoff crazy Level 5 Mayu. You're fast, but not "holy-shit-I-need-to-stop-with-all-this-Ritalin" fast. You can focus on dropping one big-ass play, but chances are it's not going to work and you need a backup plan or you don't because your deck is capable of winning even if it never draws it.

PLus you don't get shit like R/R being able to do everything and steal wins like the true scrublords they are. Yeah, this was a wall of text, but I don't give a fuck.
>>
Why does all this bitching always have to chase FoW threads? Can't you all take this to the other respective threads rather than needing to shit up how awful FoW is and why people shouldn't play it?
>>
>>47026413
>>47026372
>Modern Magic
>Not Eldrazi Eldrazi Eldrazi Eldrazi
MTG has it's own set of issues, and ramp is becoming/already been just as bad in that game. If you want one that doesnt match these two, then fucking play Vanguard or some shit.
>>
>>47026634
Because you should play magic and only magic anon. Why should there be any variety among cards games aside from MtG and YGO?
>>
Saw some people playing this at my local store. Every card was some near-naked anime bitch. Looked insanely stupid. I'm sure the gameplay is very mature and challenging and that the art is just a bonus, right?
>>
>>47026784
>Not knowing that the card that made the deck be bonkers fast got banned, making this a moot point
shiggy diggy
>>
>>47027094
And going by what I see every week, it's still a mass plethora of Eldrazi decks being ran.
>>
>>47026634
Because FoW is LITERALLY weeb MtG. They copy/pasta'd almost all of MtG's mechanics, changed one or two things to make them "unique", and called it a game.

What is WORSE is that since they copied MtG so damn near completely, you would fucking think that they would take to heart the lessons of MtG and not make those same mistakes. but literally within the first year we get Cancer Sword. AND Vlad. Two wincons that for 3 months NO ONE COULD INTERACT WIN. Shit you still cannot interact with Vlad other than gotta go fast. Literally take all of the decision making out of Storm/all other combo decks in MTG and let it run riot all over the format. Ive heard that the decision about whether to allow cancer sword into the format was left up to literally, "Which utterly fucking game breaking deck will damage the game less." It was either 5 minute games with Bahamut or 45 minute "drain u back and forth" games with Vlad. They ofc chose Baha and it literally killed my store's meta scene. Out of all of the ppl that signed on when it first got going, im the only one at my store that even bothers pretending to still play, and i haven't played in 4 months.

THEN THEY MADE A FUCKING JACE THE WALLET SCULPTOR!! Seriously, a ruler that does everything, even the answers that they printed don't stop it at all. Primo suck ass and Kaygua is a combo deck herself which is also not that good. Shit the only reason Tree sees play is because its yet another un-interactive combo deck.

Put all of this together and you can see why people whom are invested in MtG look at this game and don't see a reason to switch over to it instead. The only MtG people that do/will are weebs or MtG price refugees.
>>
>>47027125
Only if you are not looking. Last Modern GP was incredibly diverse. current most played deck is Jund at 7%. It is a VERY wide open format right now after the Eldrazi winter.
>>
>>47027171
I really don't know what else to tell you other than I spent all day yesterday helping run our local event for MTG and nearly half the decks being ran were them.

But look man, it's fine if you don't care for the game and what it's fucked up. It'd just be nice if you didn't come in these threads every fucking time and complain about it. Magic has had how many years of fuck ups to get to where it is? And yeah, FoW is a copy of it tit for tat, and they could've done better and learned from MTG, but fucking MTG didn't even learn from their fuckery most of the time. If it takes time, it takes time. The game is growing just very, very slowly in the U.S. while stagnating in Japan. So if it's not here in two years, oh fucking well.
>>
>>47027241
Don't worry. FoW sucks, sure, but that's because the game it's copying sucks, too.
>>
Can anyone in the UK tell me where I can buy some trial decks to try this fucking game out. Sold out everywhere as far as I can tell.
>>
>>47027134
>Shit you still cannot interact with Vlad other than gotta go fast.
The new Excalibur literally stops Vlad.
>>
>>47027134
RR isn't even overpowered in Alice Cluster. Shion is the top ruler followed by Kaguya.
>>
>>47027458
Talking about Blade of the Seven Lands, Excalibur X?
>>
>>47027526
Yes, stops Vlad's ability from targeting you.
>>
If you buy an entire box of FoW, 360 cards, there is a 5/6 chance of exactly two Rulers being in the box.

Is this too few?
>>
>>47027568
Not really. It would be kind of bad for them if you could get everything from one box.
>>
>>47027568
im fine with rulers being so rare because you can only use one of them. Its not like some mtg mythics that need a whole playset
>>
>>47027241
Im not the guy you were originally bitching at. I dont come to these threads that often. And here is the thing, i have spent money on this game. A fair bit of money. And i got burned for it. So i am pissed. And i have every right to be pissed.
>>
>>47028075
>I dont come to these threads that often.
>But when I do, I make sure to bitch as much as possible.

It'll be okay.
>>
>>47028075
How did you get burned?
>>
Looking to play Valentina ruler of the seas/ the seven lands, what else besides my regalias should I put in this deck? Need help for ideas
>>
>>47028131
Like i said earlier, basicallymost of my play group decided to say fuck it after bahamut and the ones whom did not then decided to say fuck it after R/R. So now here i am stuck with a bunch of useless cards that honestly i would probably be better off selling away on ebay for pennies, and ive sunk probably $700 into this game. And yes its not THAT much all told but its still money i could have used elsewhere, like Magic or on vidya or whatever else.
>>
>>47027458
Primogenitor also rapes Vlad's facehole.

"I've got 6 moon open and a hand full of efficient removal, go ahead do anything IDGAF"
>>
>>47028164
Percival to dig out more regalia and protect Valentina, something that kills Addition: Field cards so Barrier of Shadows doesn't punk you
>>
>>47029647
If a few months of Baha/RR domination was enough to kill your group they must have just loved two years of MTG: Meme Rhino or bust.
>>
How can I improve the Arla starter deck so I can take it to the next tournament and try out the game?
>>
What deck are you running at your local shops?
>>
>>47031054
Been running U/B Seer of the Blue Moon Facedown.dec and having a blast. Took first last week.
>>
>>47027134
You'd think that having less people cluttering the MtG scene would be a welcomed thing. Apparently not.
>>
>>47032683
No, they just want to hate on MTG and anything else people play. Most of them don't give two shits about MTG
>>
>>47031044
Adding Lucifer from TMS gives you a pretty basic powerplay with Celestial Wing Seraph>Lucifer>Gwiber to put out 3 really powerful resonators all at once for a total cost of 6, with Lucifer removing something from the opponent's board as he enters.

Arla's deck is generally pretty good just out of the box, there's only a few changes to make for it to do decently well in a non-tryhard tournament.
>>
>>47029647
That doesn't really sound like fow fault just your play groups fault.
>>
>>47027134
The thing that separates R/R from Wallet Sculptor is that R/R costs about 10 dollars. Additionally, you can still win not using him. Your ruler does not define your deck. Should R/R be banned, my G/R beasts would get by just fine with Little Red as a ruler, and I will eventually get her as a side ruler. I just choose R/R because right now he's what I have.
>>
my Meta was slowly dying until the announcement, ive been playing alice block only for a while now so I have like 2 or 3 decks built now since locals are just saying screw it and doing that for weekly events.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1200x1000
Thoughts for alice only ?
>>
>>47034709
Looks all over the place to me.
>>
>>47034709
>R/R
Nope.
>>
File: 1447354909127.jpg (33 KB, 388x400) Image search: [Google]
1447354909127.jpg
33 KB, 388x400
>>47034876
>he hasent been paying attention to the Alice block tournaments in italy for the last 2 months.
>>
>>47034709
its okay i am just not sure about running four apollo just for cherubim. plus the random one of
>>
>>47035249
Who the fuck cares about Italy?
>>
File: Tsukuyomi_Noble.jpg (345 KB, 645x902) Image search: [Google]
Tsukuyomi_Noble.jpg
345 KB, 645x902
>>47034709
This reminds me, how is Kaguya Tempo for ACC? It seems like it would be very strong, but I know nothing about ACC.
>>
>>47026413
How do you even Play Wixoss? I'd play that game so hard if anybody actually played it around here.
>>
New Rezzard will be shown tomorrow.
>>
File: 546.jpg (73 KB, 704x960) Image search: [Google]
546.jpg
73 KB, 704x960
>>47035391
>>
So basically, every Seven Kings is dead except Pricia, technically Valentina, and Faria?
>>
>>47035634
Faria is dead, she died at the same time as all the other Seven Kings. Or, specifically with the lore, VERY shortly after the other Kings. She was the last to go, buying time for Alice to escape.

Valentina's body was killed by Pricia, Marybell, and Shion, but she mindjacked Pricia and took her body over. So technically Valentina is still alive while Pricia is technically dead. We won't know exactly how the Pricia/Valentina thing works until we can see more of the cards, but the way Jordan talked about their card in the most recent QA, it seems like Valentina is in full control and Pricia was kind of just "erased".
>>
>>47035634
Something like that. Honestly not sure it's really worth keeping up with the lore. Beyond knowing Alice is essentially a planeswalker and Primo/Blazer/etc are the bad guys, it's all too convoluted.
>>
>>47035842
>>47035634
So is Faria supposed to be notArthur in that universe since she uses Excalibur? Who is the Brother she's referring to in her flavor text?
>>
File: Sylvia_Gill_Paralias.jpg (86 KB, 557x777) Image search: [Google]
Sylvia_Gill_Paralias.jpg
86 KB, 557x777
>>47035848
I would attempt to read the stories they have online but the writers are memers so I just stopped trying.

Sylvia deserved better. Will she ever come back? All she did was almost kill Edgy Alice until normal Alice saved her, so she just kinda fucked off and never showed up again.
>>
>>47035881
Her brother is Lars. He's one half of a Shift Resonator in BoA, he's up in the Faria spoiler on the website.

>>47035882
Sylvia is really cool and I'm kind of sad she hasn't gotten to do much. But, given she's Lapis' 2nd right hand man, she'll probably at least have a Resonator in BoA. And if she survives BoA, she'll almost definitely play somewhat of a decent role in the Lapis Cluster.
>>
File: 12351324234214.png (1 MB, 815x1110) Image search: [Google]
12351324234214.png
1 MB, 815x1110
Am I wrong for being incredibly unimpressed?
>>
>>47036307
The support they gave for him serves better in the first machina
>>
>>47035286
Fact is they are always ahead of us, they were playing necrolancelot for at least 2 months before us, same goes for most decks
>>
my buddy bought me the undead deck to try to get me into it.
except lizzard or whoever the fuck my ruler is sucks ass and my cards don't do jack shit, one of yall sell me on this piece of shit game
>>
File: CaptainCaveman.png (2 MB, 815x1110) Image search: [Google]
CaptainCaveman.png
2 MB, 815x1110
>>47036341
>There will come a day when you will bring out three of these with Machina.
>>
File: Remote_Control_Beast.jpg (115 KB, 704x960) Image search: [Google]
Remote_Control_Beast.jpg
115 KB, 704x960
>>47036430
I think he will see fringe play as a 1 or 2 of but the best thing so far is this card.
>>
>>47036307
>tldr
>>
>>47036461
>identity theft
>if you have this stone, you can summon some shit
>if you have four of this stone, you can summon some more shit
>this nigga gets stronger by having some shit
>>
I want to fuck Piruruk.
>>
>>47036430
But even if you have six machines out, isn't his total cost still 10? So you can only get one of them either way, right?
>>
>>47037228
Machina 1.0 lets you put any 3 colorless resonators/additions from your hand into play for free when he flips
>>
So does gaining the name from their original versions only let you use their Regalia, or is there more?
>>
>>47035956
>Her brother is Lars
Still weird how it's not Arthur, at least then her using Excalibur would make a little more sense. Though at this point, there's about three of those floating around.
>>
>let's make some more 4 Sacred Beast support
>but make it not work with the 4 Sacred Beast ruler and other 4 Sacred Beast support
>>
File: 031.jpg (271 KB, 557x777) Image search: [Google]
031.jpg
271 KB, 557x777
Some idea to make a deck with this card? I'm new in the game so, I don't know anything, have melgis, lancelot/hector and guinevere/rukh egg.
>>
>>47031054
Going to my first LGS tournament tomorrow. Deciding between Alice Fairies or R//R Beast Ramp. My fairy deck in an older and not as good state, btfo alices world while letting it combo out for 4 straight turns. R//R is not where I want it yet, but is still competitive. Gotta love abusing Change the World to get 6 stones and a mana dork by turn 3.
>>
I need some ideas for my Knights of the Round Table deck. I really want to stick with just that theme, and I'm not really trying to make it terribly competitive. Problem I'm having is that since they announced the Grimm cluster is leaving the AGP in a little while and rotated out in September, I keep finding myself wanting to get rid of them from my decks now so I don't have to worry about it later.
>>
File: FOW-JGP-2016-logo-300x262.png (70 KB, 240x210) Image search: [Google]
FOW-JGP-2016-logo-300x262.png
70 KB, 240x210
Anyone going to AGP Charlotte?
>>
>>47040032
When you enter these things, are you locked into one deck the entire time with a side deck with, or can you just change as you go? Seems like it'd be a little cheap if you could, but I guess it'd still all be on card draw.
>>
>>47036382
I got one too, it sucks and made me want to quit but I got valentia and now I can play. The black starter is garbage.
>>
>>47036503
>>47025017
Wake up and what do I see? Fucking called it.
>>
>>47040032
I don't care about the AGP till they do the Grimm rotation out.
>>
>>47041297
You play with one deck with a 15 card sideboard, just like any other large competitive event for any other TCG.

>>47036382
The black starter sucks. The white one is probably the best just because the Bow regalia is effing OP, but beyond that they're all pretty low power. Gill Lapis is a much better mono black ruler I think, and black got a lot of sweet support in the most recent set.
>>
>>47039467
Huanglong is kinda just Pricia's God's Art on a stick. I don't think the two can't work together, I would just play Huang as maybe a 2-of in case you can't get the god's art off or if you want to flood the field a second time. Pricia's God's Art followed by a Huang long with all 4 colors and/or a Sprint of the Beast Lady is GG.
>>
>>47043012
How can you even get him out easily to make it worthwhile before you're just burned down by aggro?
>>
File: I have no idea what I'm doing.jpg (91 KB, 406x614) Image search: [Google]
I have no idea what I'm doing.jpg
91 KB, 406x614
I don't even care anymore.
>>
A Divine Beast still counts as a Beast right?
>>
>>47045005
In this case its unlike MTG IIRC. It would have to be a Beast/Divine Beast or vice versa to be a regular Beast
>>
>>47045657
Well, I'm mainly asking since a buff card from wind states that if it's a beast, then I can use it for free on it. So I wasn't sure if it'd work or not.
>>
Any of you guys running test decks for post June?
>>
>>47044155
There is a build that put two similar decks into a top 8 of AGP Pittsburgh, but it runs R/R as a ruler and is in essence a wind ramp deck with the 4 sacred beasts in for utility and Huanglong as a finisher.
>>
>>47046687
The Lapis that I "main" is already more or less Alice only. Book of Eibon is all I really have from Grimm, and if I'm really stuck on the idea, I can always sub in Shadow Doppelganger for around the same effect.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.