[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hellborn Quest 149
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 6
File: HellbornQuest.jpg (38 KB, 400x616) Image search: [Google]
HellbornQuest.jpg
38 KB, 400x616
The Story So Far: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=hellborn
1-50 Thread Summary: http://pastebin.com/DYy8w24r
51-100 Thread Summary: http://pastebin.com/wx3HtRT5

QM Twitter: https://twitter.com/HellbornQuest
Character Sheet: http://pastebin.com/rNg3Yw8m (pictures within) <--Brush up on this if you aren’t familiar with Sierra’s abilities.
Ask Languid Anything: ask.fm/HellbornQM

You are Sierra Beckhoff, and you are on Alcatraz minutes away from a duel with Anatu-allatu. Should you lose, you guess you’ll die or something. Fortunately for you, you plan on kicking Anatu’s ass, so yeah. She might have an army with her, but you got your friends to back you up. Also they set up an unspecified number of explosives to your benefit.

You’re going to rescue Mr. Crowther, banish the demoness and her hoards back to hell, and... you guess run inland at that point, because the Yellow King is like an hour off the shoreline by now.

---

HP: 35/35
Stress: 20/103
Fury: 20
Sanity: 92/100

LW: 14/15
PP: 47/47

You crawl prone beside Orias up to the edge of the slope, and look down toward the docks. Through the brush and curtains of rain, grey waves crash and roil beyond in the bay. On the boardwalk though, you see them coming. They pour out from the touristy little shops and restaurants set up along the shore, snapping off doors and breaking through windows so they can come through every opening.

Demonic creatures of all sizes and shapes. Loping, slithering, ambling along. Undisguised Stygians. They march on, some draped in chainmail tailored to their monstrous forms, others in coats of fur and skins, others trusting their natural chitin plates to the open elements. Most carry guns of some kind, mostly long flintlock rifles.

“They’re using paths through the meridian,” Orias tells you in a low voice, his expression fixed.

The meridian. The world of reflections. Fimbria. Through the mirrors they come.
>>
>>47005545

Particularly sizable demons among them bark orders to the others. One officer, a half-wolf, half-bull looking thing with mismatched horns, gestures about with two arms, barking guttural commands in Stygish and Heltic. Its third hand rests firmly on the pommel of one of the array of pistols holstered along its chest.

You sense a mixture of anxiety and resolve from the increasing concentration of Stygian footmen. Some peer out from under their broad, drooping hats with fearful eyes at every unfamiliar sight, whether it be the golf carts, the window displays, or the street lights. They clutch their weapons with tight claws, tentacles, and whatever else they have. Others stride forward with confidence, chests puffed out to the rain, the buckles and straps of their uniforms gleaming bright.

Orias’s radio cracks with Rowan’s voice. “We have Stygians coming out of the storehouse on the north side of the island too,” she reports. “A hundred or more, easy. Out.”

“Do you feel that?” asks Orias, nodding to the concentration of demons. “Their confidence. They’re expecting to win.”

Out of all the emotional turmoil of the encroaching army, you do pick out an undercurrent of pride, or sureness. “Yeah, I feel it,” you say.

You’ve fought demons before. Killed before. But this is... something else. You’ve never seen this many demons before. Any one of them you could take, sure. Five at once would be a problem. But ten? Twenty? You’re not sure the odds stack out in your favor. (+4 Stress: 24)

“This is Eagle Raptor,” says Harvey over the radio. “Big Red One would like to remind Sierra Actual that we have the buildings wired with explosives, over.”
>>
>>47005552

Judging the numbers of demons you’re looking at, that’s a little bit reassuring. (-1 Stress: 3)

>Tell Wolf it’s time to get off the island.
>Tell everyone to stay out of sight and stay dispersed wherever they are.
>Tell everybody to rendezvous up at the main cellblock.
>Send somebody to talk with the Stygians, find out where Anatu is.
>Wait by the lighthouse for your foe.
>Wait down at the parade ground for your foe.
>Go down to the dock yourself and inquire about Anatu.
>If anybody spots Crowther and has an opening to extract him, do it.
>Remain out of sight, keep watching until somebody has eyes on Anatu.
>Other (?)
>>
>>47005568
>>
>>47005568
Quiet day, eh boss?
>>
>>47005671

When the move is official, we'll move.
>>
>>47005717
Don't reply. No, really.
>>
>>47005717
Don't respond to it, Lawn. It's been going around all the quests saying that, and getting banned for it.
>>
>>47005568
>Tell Wolf it’s time to get off the island.
Do not hurt the husbando.
>>
>>47005732
>>47005742

I'm sorry, I couldn't stop myself.
>>
>>47005568
>>
>>47005568
Wait. Stygians. They're all about Illusions. Make sure to confirm magical signal before going in. This entire damn thing might be a trap or a feint.
>>
Roll some dice for Stygian watching and remaining out of sighting.
>>
Rolled 83 (1d100)

>>47005887
>>
Rolled 78 (1d100)

>>47005887
>>
Rolled 73 (1d100)

>>47005887
>>
>>47005915
>>47005911
>>47005900
Damn. /tg/ is ornery with our continued presence. BQ got a Nat 30 with 3d10 yesterday. 1 in a thousand roll.
>>
>>47005934

At least the duel hasn't yet begun or this might be a very unfortunate roll.
>>
>>47005934
I saw a roll that was 10 10 10 8, here on tg
>>
>>47005965
>The roll was 4d100
>>
>>47006123
Actually it was 4d10. So it was a Really Good Roll.
>>
>>47005965
Fucking trish and her bullshit Korean luck.
>>
You grab Orias’s radio from him. “Nobody blows up anything yet,” you order. “This is a duel. Keep an eye out for Anatu and stay out of sight. But if anyone spots Crowther and you have an opening to extract him, you take it. Out.”

You start wondering whether you should tell Wolfgang to get off the island, or if he might be able to stay.

Your thoughts are interrupted when Orias forces you down further into the mud and shushes you, lying prone at your side. “They’re looking this way,” he says.

Hesitantly, you tilt your head far enough so that you can see down to the docks.

One of the Stygians, his boil-addled face-half sagging from his skull, lifts his rifle and aims directly at you. “Something moves on the ridge, there,” he shouts in Heltic.

“We’ve been spotted,” Orias breathes out, holding perfectly still.

The bull-wolf officer shoves a few soldiers out of his path and smacks the rifle up the air.

“The first to fire a shot is the first to lose a hand,” he snarls to the growing mass of troops, baring dozens of crowded, serrated teeth.

Another officer, this one tall with a large, misshapen chest and engraved breastplate pulls up his visor with one anvil sized hand. His face consists of several slashing mouths, which all suck in a rattling breath from your precise direction. “I taste three demons,” he shouts in a gargling voice. “Send word.”

Half the assembly of soldiers has by now turned their attention to where you and Orias hide.
>>
>>47006766

The one with many mouths brushes forward out of the crowd and faces up at your hiding spot. “Bring word to your mistress!” he announces, sweeping his long blue cloak out behind him. “Crown Heiress Anatu-allatu, of the beloved Mother Countess Usholaguissa, seeks satisfaction assured her! She shall reveal her face to the servants of the Crown, or she shall forfeit the blood of the Hellion!”

Forfeit the blood of the Hellion? That’s freaking Papa Crowther they’re talking about. (+2 Fury: 22) (+2 Stress: 25)

Orias gives you a serious look. “I can’t without being seen, but you can,” he says.

>Not necessarily. (Deploy enshrouding mist so you can both leave in secret.)
>Stay put. I’ll get them looking somewhere else. (Translucent yourself out of there.)
>There’s no point. I’m dueling Anatu one way or another. (Stand up and reveal yourself.)
>Other (?)
>>
>>47006805
>There’s no point. I’m dueling Anatu one way or another. (Stand up and reveal yourself.)
We really should take our time maiming her.
>>
>>47006805
>Not necessarily. (Deploy enshrouding mist so you can both leave in secret.)
>>
>>47006805
These demons are still nutters, they won't attack us out of the blue.
>>
What's the weather like? Is it still raining?
>>
>>47006805
>>There’s no point. I’m dueling Anatu one way or another. (Stand up and reveal yourself.)
>>
>>47006935

Yes.
>>
>>47006805
>>There’s no point. I’m dueling Anatu one way or another. (Stand up and reveal yourself.)

"Anatu is a ratchet ho that is going to her weave ripped off"

Fuck it. Why should we be the only person confused here. They want to smug all smug like with their "Muh court intricacies" bullshit then we'll respond with some ebonic niggeryboogaloo slang.
>>
>>47007009
"niggeryboogaloo"
I chuckled.
>>
>>47006935
Reminder that we're immune to electricity.

Aw shit. Did we bring anything to wrap our horns, or are we going all Boudicca and fighting with our demonic head tits out.
>>
>>47007066
It's been compared closer to a bare belly than tits.
Not quite boudicca levels of nudity.
>>
>>47007066
Yep, we're going to look completely uncivilized as we fight to the death.
>>
>>47007063
I feel like we could honestly weaponize Sierras texting.

But seriously, she's from the hood. She's gotta have some ability to chirp.

I'm pretty white though, so I would probably intimate that Anatu was underweight with smaller horns than average and probably has to have mommy kill her mates for her after she gets worn out from chasing them down since nobody wants her skanky demon ass.
>>
>>47007110
I don't think the duel is necessarily to the death. I mean, it could be?
>>
>>47007118
But what do we call a small horned woman that carries the same level of insult as the ones we call flat chested women?
>>
>>47007140
I'm sorry, that was just a guess. I suppose we will graciously allow the massive bitch to keep her life in exchange for their prisoner.
>>
>>47007140
Yea it's to the deah
>>
>>47007140
I don't really see why it wouldn't be to the death.
>>
>>47007140
Do you even Demon?

This bitch dies tonight.
>>
>>47007214
>>47007231
Turn her against her mother. She ain't gonna be mothers favorite anymore if she fucks up and I imagine her sisters will be there to take advantage of the situation to steal her place and influence.

I'm okay doing either in any case.
>>
>>47007203
nah, she won't learn not to fuck with unless we almost kill her or cripple her for a very very long time at the very least, even then that woul likely just get her to hate us more.
>>
>>47007397
No.

There's literally Zero reason to keep this bitch alive. That's like the most undemon unImperiate like thing to do.

She challenged our rule, kidnapped what is essentially a member of our family, is trying to kill everyone we know and care about, AND is trying to steal all of our territory.
>>
>>47007397
I'd much rather kill her. We have enough problems with court rats already.
>>
>>47007408
>>47007397
>>47007231
>>47007214
>>47007210
>>47007203

I would just prefer to not fight the army she brought. Especially if it becomes our army if she loses.

If we really want to kill her, we can frame someone else for doing it like the Yellow King or Waldric and use that as an excuse to take away his position.

If it wasn't so out of character.
>>
>>47007529
We don't know how demonic it is. We didn't stop to ask anyone about the rules and shit for this sort of thing.

>>47007533
You realize beating into submission is also how we got Ranthix, right?
>>
>>47007543
But anon, thats why the soard team's here. What good is her army if they're on an exploding island?
>>
>>47007566
>You realize beating into submission is also how we got Ranthix, right?
Yes. And?
>>
>>47007397
So we'd kill Lucifer and not kill Anatau?

That makes no sense.
>>
>>47007533
To be fair, she is apparently just forcing us into a duel rather than trying to assassinate us.

So, is our position strong enough to force her to do this - I mean she was able to gang CROWTHER.- Or does she honestly believe that the best ruler will win?
>>
>>47007543
What's so bad about her army becoming our army?
I know it's not subtle, but it would be nice to have some more people helping us with future threats to our home.
>>
>>47007578
Just saying let's see how it goes before going full murder boner.

You can't just kill everyone.
>>
>>47007543
You don't seem to understand how this shit works. If we kill this bitch in front of all of her minions then there's really nothing these guys can do against us and they'll know it. Not to mention we WANT everyone to kow we killed it. It says to everyone that we're real, we're hot shit, and anyone who stands against us is gonna die.

And why the fuck would we frame Waldric?
>>
>>47007599
I meant I'd rather have her surrender her army to us and keep her life, than kill her and have to fight that army.
>>
>>47007590
>Or does she honestly believe that the best ruler will win?

Depending on how common Ranthixes beliefs are, and how they are interpreted, it's possible that she might think she's the true imperiate. or at least a candidate.
>>
>>47007625
Because Waldron is a court rat that keeps going behind our back? And you're talking out of your ass about how this army is supposed to act. Once again, we have no idea how this duel is supposed to work or what the etiquette is.
>>
>>47007630
>>47007599
Her "army" would never follow us. They belong to her mother and would never follow us.

Best case scenario we fucking rek this bitch anatu and send her minions scurrying off back to their mother with the message that we're not to be fucked with.
>>
Yall niggas are forgetting that these stygians don't belong to her. they belong to Ushologuissa.
>>
>>47007668
I had no illusions about it actually becoming our army anon, don't worry, I'm just partial to the idea of having one.
>>
>>47007635
And it's also possible that she will genuinely believe us to be worthy if we beat her.

I mean, don't get me wrong I would prefer to kill the smug bitch too. Just not at the worst possible time if this duel is about honour and shit.

Which gets weird when you look at how different cultures create moral codes that look nothing alike.
>>
If we manage to kill Anantu we should try and kill Nabbuth next. Fuck that guy.
>>
>>47007659
He went behind our back once and everyone (in quest and out, except Ranthinx) agreed that he did all of this to help us and buy us time.
>>
>>47007685
Yeah, but we're the Imperatrix. They're going to be our army sooner or later. Especially with how sexy our horns are.
>>
>>47007704
So not all court rats are bad then?
>>
>>47007697
if the duel is to the death I don't really see how that would cause problems, unless demons have a weird obligation to kill the winner i the loser was involved with them. which would be an amazingly destructive system.
>>
>>47007695
Then best case scenario to send send them back home to mummy with their tails behind their legs.

But letting someone as powerful and as dangerous as Anatu live is dumb. She will come back, and next time it won't be a duel but an ambush and assassination against us and all of our conclave.
>>
>>47007727
No shit.

>>47007712
To do tha
>>
>>47007712
To do that we need to kill Ushologuissa
>>
>>47007747
I'm all for killing Anatu, bitch fucked with us, now she has to deal with the consequences.
>>
>>47007586
Lucifer was supposed to be an ally from the start and he commited treason. Anatu has been direct with her demands of either submitting to her or fighting her from the start.

Which one would be more deserving of dying?

Both, but treason is a worse offence.
>>
“No point,” you tell him. “I’m dueling Anatu one way or another.” And with that, you push yourself up. You feel like you weigh a hundred pounds more than you should, but once you’re on your feet, battle mode takes over and the tension merges naturally again as a part of you. (+1 Fury: 23)

The Stygians below are startled by your sudden appearance.

Before you can announce yourself, the congregation bursts into conversation.

“It’s the child of the tyrant!” shouts one.

“That thing?” asks another. “It looks like a skinless boar pup.”

You hear hushed agreement among the footmen that you are much too small to be the child of the tyrant. They doubt if you’re female at all.

Their muttering conversation leaves you vaguely confused and insulted. (+2 Stress: 27)

“What’s happening? Is it the tyrant child or not?” asks the many-mouthed captain, blindly tasting the air in your direction up at the top of the slope.

The wolf-bull officer lifts the brim of his hat and squints sideways at you. “It has the look of Belphegor, or perhaps Infernus,” he says, unsure.

The captain growls impatiently and swats his comrade. “Yes I tasted as much, and is it female?”

The demon glares at your chest, and makes motions over his own as if trying to simulate size. “I cannot be certain,” he says in exasperation as he gives up, “it is dressed as a man.”

What? You look down at yourself. No, you look fine. You’re fine. (+1 Stress: 28)
>>
Like man I know we've been fighting with Ranthix lately but sometimes you just gotta kill a bitch.
>>
>>47007712
God, this is like one of those dreams where you go to work without your pants, isn't it?
>>
>>47007811

Another Stygian officer walks out front of the crowd of bickering soldiers, and unrolls a scroll of parchment. It bears a mostly accurate drawing of your face on the front. The paint of the image begins running in the rain. The creature glances to you and back to the drawing again, licking his wide fish-eyes clear of rain as he tries to concentrate. The motion reminds you of windshield wipers.

Four other Stygians of rank join him, adding their combined efforts in making the match. Unfortunately, their decision making process dissolves to bickering.

Orias stands up behind you, flicking the mud from his hands and surveying the Styigans below. “Now I know you are the true Imperiate,” he remarks flatly. “Merely laying eyes upon you inspires chaos in the armed legions of Halth.”

Native Stygians aren’t so great with girls, you guess. You can’t help but feel a little sorry for them.

>Say stuff (?)
>Do things (?)
>Other (?)
>>
>>47007747
Way easier to do that before the duel. Especially if, once again, they could jack up Crowther.

Just saying, hey, we might have to think about actual politics and shit instead of playing murder hobo.
>>
>>47007811
>The demon glares at your chest, and makes motions over his own as if trying to simulate size.“I cannot be certain,”
KEK
>>
>>47007835
Do something suitably impressive, like letting go of our glamours and saying our name.
>>
>>47007840
>actual politics
demon politics is brutally murdering the ones who ATTACK YOU, and KIDNAP YOUR LOVED ONES
>>
>>47007835
Shock and awe. Drop the glamour and try to be impressive. Maybe glide down on our shadow wings? Then flirt with one of them and drain them while casually touching them to top up our PP.
>>
>>47007835
>Do things (?)
Deploy Unnatural Charm to have them respectfully escort you to Annatu.
>>
>>47007858
>>47007835
I'll support this.
>>
>>47007835
Bring me to your leader
>>
>>47007609
>You can't just kill everyone.
That sounds like quitter talk.
>>
>>47007835
"Anatu challenged me to a duel for the rights to my feif, I am here put down this ursurper"
>>
>>47007873
Unnatural charm. I support this action.
>>
>>47007861
Dude. Even Ranthix knows it's more complicated than that. Especially when you're the smallest force involved.

You probably voted for Bernie.
>>
File: absolutely not.gif (243 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
absolutely not.gif
243 KB, 320x180
>>47007869
>flirt with one of them
>>
>>47007835
>Drop glamors, introduce yourself as Sakheris
>>
>>47007888
Fuck Bernie and fuck you.

You kill your enemies. Especially ones who've done shit like this.
>>
>>47007835
>Say stuff (?)
<Heltic>"My patience wears thin, you witless imbeciles. Bring me to Annatu before I lose my temper."
>>
>>47007881
I think simpler statement would be more impressive.
>"I am here to slay the usurper Anatu."
>>
>>47007835
>Unnatural Charm + Drop Glamour + Use the spooky version of our name.
>>
>>47007835
>Say stuff (?)
"What a fucking shit show this is."
Walk past them
>>
>>47007929
Fite me bro IRL I bet you're like a Navy seal and shit. Swear on me mum I'll wreck you m8.
>>
>>47007952
I don't think Sierra is that eloquent.
>>
>>47007978
>>47007952
Can we pick things Sierra would atually say? Like >>47007991?

> MFW we bond with Anatu over how terrible her troops are.
>>
>>47007991
Supporting that in addition to >>47007858
"What a fucking shit show this is."
Drop glamours.
>>
>>47008097
Also, call out anyone that stares at our horns. Or the highest ranked person doing it.
>>
>>47008150
If we left them unwrapped its our own fault if they stare. It would be noticable for them
>>
>>47008150
>Also, call out anyone that stares at our horns.
Or rather get embarrassedly aggressive.
"What're you staring at, uh? You wanna be my warm-up? No? Then look fucking down."
>>
File: 1368649731145.jpg (128 KB, 1055x959) Image search: [Google]
1368649731145.jpg
128 KB, 1055x959
So how many would we kill if we walked out and did our fire-shadow explosion?
>>
>>47008470
>tiddies
Not My Sierra
>>
You hold up a hand to Orias. “I got this,” you say. You just need to be more impressive. That you can do.

Sneaking around, you were in glamor, but now’s the time to show your true face. You shed your mortal disguise, and stand to your full height, spreading your spindle wings and flicking your tail out behind you. You stretch your shadow over your wings and leap off the ledge.

Grabbing the strap of your rifle so it doesn’t jostle around in flight, you glide down on the air, wind and rain sliding coolly over your wings. So freaking cold. You grit your teeth as you touch down, forcing yourself to remain still through an involuntary shiver.

The Stygians back away from your landing zone. They hold their weapons half ready, though earlier threats keep them at bay. Their officers stare at you as you confirm their suspicions.

You try to get a handle on the multitude’s surprise and anxiety, and focus yourself into playing off of that. “This is pathetic. You, all of you,” you say scathingly, waving your claws over the mass of soldiers. You walk forward into their number, trying to stay confident in the face of fear. “This is really the best Anatu has?”

It’s like walking onto the set of Nightmare Before Christmas or something. But their disgusting presence extends far past sight. The rain does some to keep down the thick stench of sweat, rust, and rot coming from them, but not enough.

“It is the child of the tyrant,” one of the Stygians mutters, a squat figure buried in its cloak.
>>
>>47008726

You single him out. “Yes, I’m Sakheris,” you say in Heltic, focusing your power into your name. The sound of it darkens the dim air even further, and causes those nearest you to back into their comrades. Those nearest the squat figure withdraw by a step, leaving him isolated. The Stygian is frozen in his fear – as sweet a feeling as any you’ve felt. They are many, but individually they are weak. (-2 Stress: 30) (+2 Fury: 25)

A party of commanders strides forward from the body of troops, and stops before you. One towers over you. Another doesn’t come to your shoulders. The rest are of forms bizarre and unfamiliar. But each of the assembled lieutenants glow with some form of power.

“The Crown Heiress will meet against you in the clearing of rock,” speaks the many-mouthed Stygian. He’s built like a train engine, wide and grotesquely muscled, though encased in his regally fashioned armor. He remains mostly undisturbed in your presence, though his alert nervousness shows through the veneer of calm.

Around you, Stygians, rankers and officers alike, ogle or shy away from the appearance of your clothing, your weapons, your everything. There’s no escape from the eyes. (+4 Stress: 32)

>Then hurry the hell up and take me to her.
>So, what will you do when she dies?
>Where is that rat Nabuth?
>What is your name, captain?
>Pick one of the Stygians to mess with so the rest will stop staring at you.
>If your hosts don’t watch where their eyes are wandering, I’ll take them myself.
>Other (?)
>>
>>47008754
>If your hosts don’t watch where their eyes are wandering, I’ll take them myself.
>>
>>47008754
>>
>>47008754
>Pick one of the Stygians to mess with so the rest will stop staring at you.
>>
>>47008754
>>
>>47008754
>>What is your name, captain?
>>
>>47008754
Goddamn creeps
>>
>>47008754
>>
Roll some dice for being intimidating and stuff.
>>
Rolled 40 (1d100)

>>47008947
>>
Rolled 89 (1d100)

>>47008947
>>
Rolled 12 (1d100)

>>47008947
>>
Rolled 9 (1d100)

>>47008947
>>
>>47008976
NOOOO I WAS SO CLOSE TO BEING ACE

Well, not too bad a show, I guess.
>>
What hold up, Sierra is flat chested?
>>
>>47009496
Not flat, but modest I think?

B?
>>
>>47009496
Not really.
>>
>>47009496
She's not big, but she's probably bigger than an A cup.
>>
>>47009496
>Incredibly important duel is about to happen
>Sierra could die
>Anon is concerned about her tits
>>
>>47009593
THE STYGIANS STARTED IT!
>>
>>47008947
Can we use thirst for vengeance now. We could use the fury
>>
>>47009593
Blame the Stygians.
>>
>>47009624
waiting until we're closer to the fight is probably for the best.
>>
>>47009649
But we're walking to the fight right now
>>
You don’t have to put up with this, you’re the scariest thing in a hundred-mile radius. You scowl at the captain and speak loudly enough that your voice carries over the crowd of soldiers. “If your hosts don’t watch where their eyes are wandering, I’ll take them myself,” you warn him, and by proxy, everyone else.

The captain remains firm, but your words have the desired effect on the footmen. Most avert their gaze or distract themselves with something else.

Ignoring the general threat, the captain bows aside and gestures you forward with one of his huge, gauntlet-clad hands. He could probably wrap your whole head in his fist.

You choose to join with the grand escort, and start the hike back to the parade ground. The sound of jangling metal and boots on stone fill the air – otherwise a sickly silence falls over the group, unwilling as they are to speak in your presence. The roar of sea waves and the unending gusts of rain take the place of conversation.

You still have an opportunity to shake the confidence of the captain, however. After the fight you’d rather not have to face so many demons if Anatu barks out an unfavorable order, and it’s the leaders you’ll need to worry about. “So,” you ask with feigned curiosity, “what will you do when she dies?”

The captain’s walk stiffens. “The Heiress will curb your profane tongue,” he replies out of the corner of one mouth.

“No plans?” you ask, smirking. “None at all? Don’t you get paid to think ahead?”

He doesn’t reply, and chooses instead to remain in troubled silence.

The walk seems to take forever, surrounded as you are by dozens of mistrustful demons armed with rifles. But the difference between forever and seeming like forever is a big one. Eventually, you do reach your destination.
>>
>>47009754

Stygian troops stand in formation, flanking the edges of the parade ground. Officers walk to and fro before them. There’s hundreds of them. You don’t know how big a legion is, but Anatu brought at least a good chunk of one to the party. Fortunately a good chunk of the demons seem just about as cold and miserable as you are.

You wonder where your backup is. You glance surreptitiously up to the lighthouse, careful not to give away their possible position. You can imagine Harvey and Xathix watching this through the scopes of their rifles. Holding onto the thought helps bolster your resolve.

Your escort ceases its advance, leaving you to walk alone further on, flanked on either side by Stygian soldiers.

Ahead at the edge of the parade ground, you see a few lonely figures standing against the sky. You spot Nabuth among them. He waves.

Well.

>Wave back.
>Flip him off.
>Where’s Crowther?
>All these soldiers. Somebody’s afraid of something.
>You guys look cold. How long has she had you standing around out here?
>I’m pretty sure I’m supposed to get a second.
>I’m here, Anatu.
>Other (?)
>>
>>47009774
>I’m here, Anatu.
>Where’s Crowther?
>>
>>47009774
>All these soldiers. Somebody’s afraid of something.
>You guys look cold. How long has she had you standing around out here?
>I’m here, Anatu.
>>
>>47009774
>Wave back.
>>
>>47009774
>Flip him off.
>Where’s Crowther?
>>
>>47009774
>I’m here, Anatu.
>Where’s Crowther?
>>
Scan the crowd with dads magic scope to figure out if everything is how it seems.
>>
>>47009871
I don't think that's a good idea if it's still attached to the gun.
>>
>>47009774
>Flip him off.
>I’m here, Anatu.
>Where’s Crowther?
>>
>>47009774
>Flip him off.
>Where’s Crowther?
>I’m here, Anatu.
>>
You ignore the welcome, and scan the crowd. If your spectral scope weren’t attached to a rifle, you’d sooner get a look at what really might be surrounding you. You’ll have to figure out a way to detach and easily reattach it for next time.

“I’m here, Anatu,” you announce, taking a few more steps forward. “Where’s Crowther?”

One of the figures turns toward you – a tall woman in a yellow rain coat and boots. She has lustrous brown hair sprinkled with shining drops of water, like something out of a L’Oreal commercial, and a bright million-wat smile. “He’s with me, of course,” she says, her deep, womanly voice matching your phone call with Anatu this morning.

She gestures to her side, and Mr. Crowther appears from nothingness. Not a hair is out of place, his arms folded behind his back, standing boldly a few steps away from the Heiress. But he’s too serene, too neat. With Wolf’s dad, he never fails to make you feel uncomfortable in some small way, like he knows much, much more than you’re comfortable with him knowing.

This picture of Crowther lacks that unsettling knowingness.

You flip Anatu off. “Where is he?” you ask again, more venomously. (+2 Fury: 27)

Nabuth doesn’t share Anatu’s smile. “I think she’s expecting something more like this,” he says, switching his black umbrella to the other hand and snapping his fingers.

The image vanishes, replaced by a soaking wet figure huddled on the ground, hands tied behind his back. (+2 Stress: 34) (+1 Fury: 28) Crowther sits up weakly, looking vaguely in your direction. He strains to muster up what strength he has left. “Forget Anatu,” he shouts, “Sierra, he’s coming for you!”
>>
>>47010724

Anatu holds up a hand. “Enough.” When she says the word, Crowther vanishes without a trace.

Wait. What was he talking about?

“We all go home if you back off from the fief,” Nabuth reminds you, frowning.

Anatu silences him with an annoyed look. “Enough from you as well, Nabuth’shazzar,” she says. Then she directs her attention back to you. “Mastery of San Francisco shall be determined by single combat. Should I best you, the fief is mine. Let it be known.” She motions to the troops assembled. They stomp their boots in approval.

>Say stuff (?)
>Do stuff (?)
>Other (?)
>>
>>47010745
I'll take maim, kill, burn. for 500 Jim.
>>
>>47010745
Take out our pistol, the darkening one. shoot a warning shot in the air. Yell "go". then scamper off away from the shoreline.
>>
>>47010745
>>Say stuff (?)
"Where shall I send your corpse?"
>>
>>47010745
"If yellow king interferes, you soul is mine"
>>
Rolled 35 (1d100)

>>47010745
Sap Will
>>
>>47010745
"Mastery of San Francisco shall be determined by single combat. Should I best you, Crowther is mine. Let it be known"
>>
>>47010745
>Say stuff (?)
"I know how you feel, Anatu. Nabbuth is an annoying little shit, isn't he?"
>>
>>47010745
>Say stuff (?)
"So what happens should I win? Will all your minions here dog pile me?"
>>
>>47010745
>>47011053
I second this
>>
>>47010745
>Say stuff (?)
"Shouldn't you really be talking to Waldric? He is the baron, after all."
>>
But you can’t help but snorting at how quickly she put Nabuth in his place. "He’s an annoying little piece of crap, isn't he," you say.

“We all have our small part to play,” says Anatu, brushing off the incident.

“Quick question though,” you say, holding up a finger. ”Shouldn’t you really be having this conversation with Waldric? You know, the baron?”

Anatu gives a rich laugh. “I know where Vincain’s little runaway gets his power. He is nowhere other than where you decided he should be,” she says. “Your defeat can strip him of what little legitimate authority he possesses.”

Well, that’s one way to look at it. It might not be that simple, but the demons of the fief might agree more with Anatu than you if you – and by extension the conclave – can’t beat her in a fight. “And your defeat, let’s be clear here, it gets me Crowther back, and gets your people the hell out of my city,” you point. “Don’t think I’m stupid enough to throw everything I have at you just to take a volley in the back.”

Anatu smiles broadly and stretches her hands in front of herself. “No such thing will be necessary. Are we ready to begin, then?”

>Wait. Don’t I get a second? You got Nabuth over there, and all your moral supporters. That means I get one in my court.
>Go. (Run for the hills, get her to follow you.)
>One last question. What’s with the human face? How hideous could you be?
>I’m ready if you’re ready.
>Attack without warning. Go for the cheap shot.
>Hold the phone for one more minute here. One thing I don’t get. Why are you working with Hassatur?
>>
>>47011514
>Hold the phone for one more minute here. One thing I don’t get. Why are you working with Hassatur?

Sierra is a fucking nightmare in a high mobility fight.
>>
>>47011514
"You have to be an extra special kind of stupid to deal the Yellow King."
>>
>>47011514
>>
>>47011514
>>
>>47011514
>One last question. What’s with the human face? How hideous could you be?
>>
>>47011514
Maybe scorch her ass a little with some fire for additional incentive
>>
>Hold the phone for one more minute here. One thing I don’t get. Why are you working for Hassatur?
>I’m ready if you’re ready.

If you're gonna play the court rat you gotta get those subtle jabs in there.
>>
You’re about ready to enact plan tango whisky run for the hills, but something stops you. Namely Crowther’s warning. A warning that only makes sense in context of the pressure you feel off the western seaboard.

“Hold the phone for just one more minute,” you say, holding off on the panicked frenzy of battle. “One thing I don’t get. Why are you working with Hassatur?”

Anatu gives you a snide look. “The question is why he is working with me,” she says. “Unlike you, I am capable of allying myself with the powers of this realm.”

“What are you talking about?” you ask. “Having a landmaster like right here, it’s one of the only things keeping him off the shore.”

“Is it not surprising then that his servants aid me in removing you?” she asks. “And all for modest territorial concessions.”

Does she seriously not get it? “Uh. You know, if you make any of those modest territorial concessions, there won’t be a fief to fight over,” you point out.
>>
>>47012474

She laughs you to scorn. “Your prattle will not dissuade us from our ambitions,” she says, shedding her rain coat. She lowers herself into a combat stance, her feet a shoulder’s width apart, one shoulder slightly toward you. “Stand and fight, Hellborn.” Wisping lights of power begin to emanate from her person.

>Come and get me. (Run)
>Well, can’t say I didn’t try. (Run)
>The Yellow King is lying to you. Using you as his pawn. And you’re falling for it all, you stupid cow.
>For what? If you win, you just set yourself up for betrayal. He’ll rip everything out from under you and more.
>You’re not putting Hassatur in perspective. He’s not just some angry local seawizard. He’s more powerful than any of us. More powerful than Usholaguissa, probably.
>Don’t you wonder why I didn’t have my Demonbane stomp your face? Didn’t Nabuth tell you about that? He’s out there, dealing with the real problem.
>Fighting you is what the Yellow King wants. What happens if we don’t?
>Nabuth, you didn’t do your research. Your plan is stupid. Unless this is you getting back at Ushola for making you her pet or whatever. Then... still kind of stupid.
>Other (?)
>>
>>47012507
>You’re not putting Hassatur in perspective. He’s not just some angry local seawizard. He’s more powerful than any of us. More powerful than Usholaguissa, probably.
>Don’t you wonder why I didn’t have my Demonbane stomp your face? Didn’t Nabuth tell you about that? He’s out there, dealing with the real problem.
>>
>>47012507
Supercharge summon Monster and drop the rest of our summons under his command.

Then pull out the ShadowFire Whip and get things rolling.
>>
>>47012507
>The Yellow King is lying to you. Using you as his pawn. And you’re falling for it all, you stupid cow.
>Come and get me. (Run)
>>
>>47012507
>Nabuth, you didn’t do your research. Your plan is stupid. Unless this is you getting back at Ushola for making you her pet or whatever. Then... still kind of stupid.

>Other (?)
"Whatever You're a pair of fucking idiots."

>Come and get me. (Run)
>>
>>47012507
>>
>>47012507
FIGHT!

She can't be reasoned with. Start the fight already, i wanna at least get it started tonight.
>>
>>47012507
>Come and get me. (Run)
>>
>>47012570
>>47012563
>>47012547
Why the fuck would we run? Fight her.
>>
>>47012507
>>The Yellow King is lying to you. Using you as his pawn. And you’re falling for it all, you stupid cow.
>>Fighting you is what the Yellow King wants. What happens if we don’t?
>>
>>47012474
Why not Attack option Languid?

She doesn't seem susceptible to reason and running is the bitch way out. Time to fuck a bitch up.
>>
>>47012586
We're making her come to us so we can ambush her. Too many eyes and too few places to hide here.
>>
>>47012604

I thought the consensus was to do the run and bait thing. We'll have a choice about it to start the fight then.

Also roll some dice.
>>
Rolled 100 (1d100)

>>47012637
Derse
>>
Rolled 9 (1d100)

>>47012637

>>47012645
For fuck's sake
>>
>>47012645
Fuck you
>>
Rolled 16 (1d100)

>>47012637
>>
>>47012645

Here we go.
>>
File: 1416197241977.gif (4 MB, 402x292) Image search: [Google]
1416197241977.gif
4 MB, 402x292
>>47012645
Off to a great start.
>>
>>47012645
I'm so glad I came back now
>>
>>47012645
Why.
>>
You start bristling with anger at Anatu’s blissful ignorance. (+2 Fury: 30)

“You’re not putting Hassatur in perspective,” you warn her in a dark tone. “He’s not just some fucking angry seawizard. He’s more powerful than you, more powerful than your damn mom!” You’re shouting at her now, your frustration plain in your words. (+2 Fury: 32) “Don’t you wonder why I don’t just have the Butcher rip your head off? Didn’t Nabuth tell you about Isaac? That’s cause he’s out there dealing with the real problem! You’re nothing more than Hassatur’s pawn, you stupid cow!”

Something knocks you off your feet. You stumble down into the cracked concrete, your arm suddenly numb. You barely register the echoing report of the gunshot.

You turn toward the source. One of the Stygian soldiers has broken rank. His rifle, still smoking, is pointed right at you. Several hateful eyes flash at you from under the brim of his soaked, wide-brimmed hat.

And then his head explodes, and the rest of his body falls to the ground. Uh oh.

Panic flashes through the assembled soldiers.

“They’re in the rocks, it’s an ambush!” shouts the wolf-bull officer, pointing up the slope. “Protect the Heiress!”

A mob of soldiers scramble forward, rushing to surround a surprised Anatu. Simultaneously, another two bring rifles to bear on you. They’re scythed down at the last second by bursts of gunfire.

“All boots, hold rank!” shouts the many-mouthed captain in all directions, vainly attempting to reestablish order.

Another spindly officer in cloak and peaked caps other ideas. “Stop the duel, slay the tyrant!” he shouts, tearing a pistol from his belt and aiming at you. At this range and with this lighting, it’s a sure shot.

>Do stuff (?)
>Other (?)
>>
>>47013173
Can we thirst for vengeance now?
>>
>>47013182

Stawp. You'll get your vengeance, I promise.
>>
>>47013173
Do our shadow teleport.
>>
>>47013173
>Corrupt
>>47013225
Requires no light and for us to be unseen.
>>
>>47013236
Nope

Way of the Crooked Passage: Stepping of the Shadow enables an instantaneous change of position from one shadow to another, if Sierra is merged with one of the shadows. Destination shadow must be within manipulation distance. Power costs are dependent on distance traveled and ambient lighting conditions. Cost: ~1 PP (One nearby shadow to another, dark conditions) ~3 PP (One shadow to another with illumination between the two) ~5 PP (Long distance in the dark, short distance during day) [VE]
>>
>>47013173
>>Do stuff (?)
Hastened regen, drop the summons, go for Crowther.
>>
>>47013173
Use our Mist spell and bail better fighting grounds
>>
>>47013260
Crowther vanished. Even assuming that was an illusion instead of a teleport, going hunting for him with everyone up is probably a Bad Idea.
>>
>>47013173
>Do stuff (?)
Corrupt his pistol
Then
Drop a supercharged Slogbah on Anatu.
>>
>>47013295
okay, i'll amend the plan. Regen hard, mist, shadowstep out, get in contact with SOARD, yield command to Isaac.
>>
>>47013173
Corrupt the pistol, summon minions.
>>
>>47012645
.......Praise Criticus
>>
>>47013376
This is a roll under quest, boyo. That's a botch.
>>
So corrupt the pistol, don't get shot, and engage enshrouding mist cloak - you'll get a game plan depending on how that goes. You'd do the shadow teleport thing, but it's not nearly dark enough for that and you're out in the open.

Roll some dice.
>>
>>47013457
Criticus laughs at all failures, ours or our enemies.
>>
Rolled 73 (1d100)

>>47013498
>>
Rolled 97 (1d100)

>>47013498
Rollan boss!
>>
Rolled 98 (1d100)

>>47013498
Stop jobbing lads.
>>
Rolled 55 (1d100)

>>47013498
>>
>>47013173
>Do stuff (?)
Get angry.
>>
Oh geeze
>>
>>47013515
>>47013525
>>47013526
yeash...
>>
>>47013515
>>47013525
>>47013526
/tg/ wants us out. This is how it's telling us.
>>
>>47013526
You first.
>>
We'll have to stop here for tonight. I have to rethink several things.

Next thread will be on Thursday, probably around 3:00 PM MST.
>>
>>47013603
Thanks for running, you magnificent bastard!
>>
If we survive this absolute clusterfuck, I say that we don't engage in any more duels. If some other demon challenges us again for control of San Fran, we put a live grenade in their bed as they sleep or something.
>>
>>47013629
It was worth the shot. If we had pulled off the duel, we might not have had so many difficulties with other demons going forward. It's gonna be hard looking like the Imperiate after this.
>>
...Well this was a hell of a time to get interested in this quest. At least I'm not attached to Sierra, right?
>>
>>47013676
Uh, you've read the archive right?
>>
>>47013631
I hope you're joking
>>
>>47013676
It's cool. We mined . . . Pretty much everything we could.
>>
>>47013751
Not yet, though I plan to. Figured I'd read along as it ran, but, uh. Looks like I've got a bit more time now. (That said, I'm mostly joking about HOLY FUCK AWFUL ROLLS, rather than actually expecting permadeath from one set of them.)
>>
>>47013819
...Surely that's only helpful for our odds if we're not in the middle of the exploding island?
>>
>>47013840
It's a good quest, and I don't think the lawngod will kill us for this. though we can die in this quest.
>>
>>47013863
It seems like one, yeah. And makes sense on both counts. Looking forward to seeing how it goes, regardless.
>>
>>47013603
>job so hard the QM dies
God damn.
>>
I'm not mad about this.Just genuinely worried about the crew. What if Rowan or Harvey get hurt..what if Wolf jumps in to get us and gets shot? Maybe it's time to activate plan Rage Cage? Get her angry and berserk on the island?
>>
I'm confused, did Languid suddenly turn into a faggot and want lower is better rolls? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember Hellborn using lower is better.
>>
>>47016715
It's always been roll under
>>
>>47016715
Always was, never got why. I guess some people just like roll under.
>>
>>47013851
Well I mean we could tell them. Little disappointed at Anatu's control over her forces. Think Ushugula or whatever set this up to kill us both?

The young eat the old if we let them Jerry.
>>
>>47016831
I mean threaten them into keeping to the duel.

Also it goes pretty bad if they kill us AND Crowther because then it's full on war with the US of A and the Angelic Host for no reason at all. His only value isn't just as a hostage for us.
>>
>>47016715
We've had 148 threads with roll under before this one. If you've actuallly read the quest it's hard to imagine you'd miss that.
>>
>>47016831
>think Ushugula or whatever set this up to kill us both?
Naw. I think that it's just some undisciplined jerk off decided he didn't like Sierra's face and took a pot shot at her and that set off this SNAFU.
Just goes to show that no plan survives contact with the enemy.
>>
>>47016860
Maybe because Sierra generally stopped failing rolls around however many threads in, and the 6 or so other quests I read all Roll Over DC. It just really struck me as weird as hell, every quest I've ever read that's been Roll Under has had the MC die/Had the plot go down the drain because Roll Under is absolute shit. I also vaguely remember languid changing the system a bunch in the first few threads, but meh.
>>
>>47016986
Maybe once and it's got proper archiving and we know it's not going to get scrapped in a week.
Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.