[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So you have settings that are an amalgomation of well known Fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: BraveNewWorld_FirstEdition.jpg (54 KB, 301x452) Image search: [Google]
BraveNewWorld_FirstEdition.jpg
54 KB, 301x452
So you have settings that are an amalgomation of well known Fantasy motifs and concepts like Forgotten Realms, and settings that do that with Sci-Fi like 40k. But why isnt there one like that but for Dystopian fiction? Wouldnt it be cool to play a game where Oceania is at war with the Republic of Gilead and the World State?
>>
File: fromsomefarofftime.jpg (124 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fromsomefarofftime.jpg
124 KB, 1920x1080
>>43600791
I think something similar to this anime would be cool to run picture related. Because of the mystery surrounding the world.

If you do built a dystopian future and throw your PC's in there you have to do some of the following. You have to make it a interesting dystopian world and come up with some good ideas as to why it is dystopian and how. Like brave new world everyone was consumed by what they were doing as opposed to 1984. You have to make the world have some sort of mystery and the PC's have to uncover it throughout the course of the campaign as to how it got to the point it is now. I guess does would be some starter points. Like making it a dystopian world because the king is an asshole is a bit boring. Make it go further as to why he has to be the way he is and how the world is always on the brink of chaos if he doesn't pay some payment to something more powerful then him. One last thing to make it mysterious, make the NPCs seem somewhat oblivious to what is the true horrors of the world, so everything is urban legend.

Just some ideas and thoughts.
>>
>>43600791

>Republic of Gilead

My son of Ham.
>>
Also, part of the problem is that depending on when the dystopia in question was written, you'll have massively varying technology levels. Do we assume Oceania has access to computers, even though Orwell didn't write it that way, or do we have Oceania be this luddite nation in the middle of people with WAY better tech than them?
>>
>>43605512
You fail to see his point, Anon. You don't need to literally rip them from the pages. What he is suggesting is that a lot of settings are a combination of various tropes from various sources. Say, take Traveller. It's got the Ancient Aliens from Stargate, it's got Star Trek cultures and ships, it's got Star Wars history, and it's got 80's B-grade sci-fi aliens.

So with a setting like he's proposing, you'd have the Brazil people in England, the 1984 people in Russia, 1930's Japan in Asia, while America is a radiation-blasted wasteland, and possibly the best place to live.

And to answer OP's question: You're wrong. RIFTS did it.
>>
File: mod paranoia.jpg (207 KB, 781x477) Image search: [Google]
mod paranoia.jpg
207 KB, 781x477
>>43605512
>Do we assume Oceania has access to computers, even though Orwell didn't write it that way, or do we have Oceania be this luddite nation in the middle of people with WAY better tech than them?

Gilead really only used their computers for monitoring the citizens. They were a pretty Luddite nation compared to the rest of the world.

World State would stomp them both. They'd just get a bunch of Deltas, load them up with "fun new game equipment", and let them go to town.

>>43605540
It's definitely not an original concept.
>>
>>43605499
>>ad hominem, the book.
Better being illetterate than having to gargle this kind of bullshit.
>>
>>43605607
>Better being illetterate
Looks like you're already halfway there, anon.
>>
File: 1364920301146.jpg (102 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1364920301146.jpg
102 KB, 640x427
>>43605635
>>
>>43605607

OK, I'll bite. How is The Handmaid's Tale "ad hominem, the book"?

Who is the ad hominem directed at? One of the things I really like about that book is that although a worse author would have made the men all be evil oppressive monsters, Atwood has the main guy (the commander? the capatin?) just be this lonely dude who THOUGHT he was setting himself up for the perfect life by joining the conspiracy, but who actually misses a lot about the old world. It's a very human portrayal.
>>
>>43600791
The Republic of Gilead is rapidly falling apart even in the book.

If war exist, the World State is no longer functioning.

Oceania only functions specifically because Eurasia and Eastasia play along rather then actually going to war.
>>
>>43605723
That's one of the interesting things about Handmaid's Tale.

Everyone who wanted the Republic of Gilead realizes the state they set up is profoundly shitty even for them.
>>
>>43605762
I imagine a place like that only works for the people who really, really believe in it. Which would be the religious nutters at the top.
>>
ITT, the Republic of Gilead is the USSR but without the convenience of a big scary external enemy to unite its people.
>>
>>43600791
While a dystopian camping would be FUCKING AWESOME, there is very little in gameplay for i can see done. Lets take the holy trio of anty-utopian society. Orwells "1984" depicts a perfect state control. You cant do much and you cant hide. The state knows where you are and what you are doing at all times. So unless our PCs have some kind super secret hideout, and advanced technology allowing them to blend into the population they will be caught within days. Plus the only way to get weapons and ammo is off guards and solders, on streets filed with cameras and mini-microphones, and citizens that will alert the long arm of the law if they see ANYTHING suspicious. So unless we talking alpha-legion levels of sneaky not much to do. Moving on to hukslay, unless you are from one of the Indian reservations then you dont really have a reason to destroy the happy new world. All your needs are fulfilled and plus, you are genetically created to obey, i dont see anyone wanting to fighting agents such a system because ...well we all want our needs fulfilled and often free dome is forgotten. Last but not least is Zamiatins "We", which is a more hardcore version of 1984, but it is the only one where we could even considered a resistance moment seeing that the citys are in closed off aryas leaving a lot of space inbetween.
>>
>>43605961
Except one of the very, very few cool things the USSR did for its people was to promote gender equality. So it's not really a lot like the Republic of Gilead, except that they're both totalitarian hellholes where the Great Leader would tell you how and when to shit, if it were within his power.
>>
>>43606148
The poster you're replying to probably wasn't born when the Soviet Union fell.
>>
>>43605635
Kek
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.