[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: illusionist_orangetree.jpg (19 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
illusionist_orangetree.jpg
19 KB, 480x272
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck [Embed]

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>Previous Thread
http://boards.4chan.org/tg/thread/46974961/5eg-dd-fifth-edition-general#top

>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Illusions edition.

DMs, how have you tricked your players with illusions? Players, how have you done the reverse?
>>
Players are usually overly cautious with illusions. The most extreme use I've seen was giving the impression that their camp had a lot more tents and activity than the three dinky tents it had.

The biggest illusion I've used was giving the impression an old temple's entrance was bricked. Someone decided to investigate the wall and noticed that vines were going through the wall though.
>>
File: Expanded Familiars.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Expanded Familiars.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Expanded familiars! In the sense of making familiars do more and be more useful, rather than simply adding more creatures that can be familiars.

What does /5eg/ think? As a quick aside, this is intended for use in a current campaign wherein the DM has ruled that *everyone* has access to the Ritual Caster feat for free, and therefore our entire party has familiars regardless of class. Ergo within the context of that campaign it equally powers up everyone, rather than simply giving those with access to Find Familiar more spell slots.

The primary reason for writing this up is that, becuause everyone in the group has a familiar, I kind of wanted to see if we could have a side-session where our familiars all get up to some kind of sidequest on their own. But by default familiars, particularly ones like bats or frogs, are just so frail and useless as to make that a dangerous proposition. Thus, this.
>>
Hello, rules question.

One of my players crafted a telescope that allows them to see into the ethereal plane (the PCs found a telescope that did the same in a dungeon, and the character copied the design for that). Since ethereal creatures can see through walls and such I've been letting him do that with the telescope too.

Is this OP? Should I have a ghost kill his character and break the scope? I'm worried.
>>
File: Untitled.png (128 KB, 326x517) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
128 KB, 326x517
>>46988529
And here's an example of a familiar made using the above rules, for reference.
>>
So I've become interested in creating a setting where shadows are prevelent especially after going back and reading Tome of Magic and the shadow Caster.

Has anyone converted shadowcaster into 5th ed?
>>
File: 1395904657768.jpg (29 KB, 270x310) Image search: [Google]
1395904657768.jpg
29 KB, 270x310
So I'm playing a Mountain Dwarf Barbarian, unarmed and unarmored. I like to use my environment in attacks so I end up grappling a lot, as well as punching things and moving things around. I don't want to use magic at all, if possible.

I will be playing the character to level 20, should I multiclass into Rogue 1 or 3 for expertise in athletics for better grappling, or should I go straight 20 barbarian for the delicious 24 STR and 24 CON? I'm okay with not being the best at grappling, but if I will be completely useless without the expertise I could consider multi-classing. I generally want the character to be the strongest unarmed fighter, having the strongest and toughest body possible and being a beast in close quarters combat.

TL;DR, Want to punch shit, grapple shit, and be the strongest dwarf ever. Multiclass for expertise, or go 20 barbarian for perfect physical form?
>>
>>46988569
I think you should be able to see the plane, not gain the abilities of the creatures in that plane.
>>
>>46988529
Normal familiars are and should be half utilitarian, half pet. They're also not allowed to attack, see the second paragraph of the spell. Your efforts would be better served by making non-evil alternatives to Imps for chainlocks.

That said, everyone gets them in your game, so bother with the spell and not just give them beastie NPC pals?
>>
>>46988806
Well, like I said, the intent is to make the familiars just a tad more robust so that they could theoretically survive a low-level adventure of their own. Just a little side thing.
>>
>>46988529
>includes cats
>doesn't include dogs
>>
>>46988612
I think you're gonna need more feats. Like tough and tavern brawler and stuff
>>
>>46989057
The original spell doesn't, either.
>>
>>46988612
I have Tavern Brawler right now, without multiclassing I can get to 20 STR and Con with 1 additional feat (either toughness or alert, I think).
>>
>>46989021
>why bother with the spell and not just give them beastie NPC pals?
>>
>>46989084
>>46989133

referenced myself accidentally.
>>
>>46988612

Oh hey, I'm playing a similar character. Went with the Battlerager subclass. I would not recommend multiclassing as a Barb.
>>
>>46989121
Well if you're expanding familiars then add it in, I'm sure your players would appreciate it.
>>
>>46989135
Because most of the beasties in the Monster Manual, like bats and cats, are extremely frail.
>>
>>46989171
Okay...got any stats for a dog that's smaller than a mastiff? First instinct is to use either the hyena or the jackal.

For the record the group's party already has a bat, a spider, a pseudodragon, and an imp. There was a hawk but the character who had that as a familiar wandered off (and was replaced by the one who has the imp).
>>
>>46989227
>First instinct is to use either the hyena or the jackal.
Jackal would be my go-to.
>>
>>46989156
The battlerager seemed interesting, I chose totem to add some beef to our frontline (a ranger, rogue, and cleric who thinks he is a wizard), so I'm always in the thick of it. How is the battlerager treating you?

Plus I secretly want to fly like Nacho Libre and piledrive suckers out of the sky
>>
>>46989349

Battlerager's alright so far. The spiked armor adds a bit more damage to the punching mix, which is good. Barbarians don't use their bonus action much outside of raging on the first round, so that's a plus. I think the real gold of the battlerager lies in the level 6 ability.
>>
Why college of swords is so fucking awful?
>>
>>46989424
Wizards doesn't know how to design martial classes, or pseudo martial classes.

So they're either amazing (rogue, battlemaster) or shit (ranger, most fighters, paladins, and barbarians)
>>
>>46989424
>College of Swords
>Awful
What? You get to use bardic inspiration as superiority die.
The only issue I have on a synergy level is that it pushes dual wielding (due to 2e) while its action economy worked better with dueling.
>>
>>46989468
>Pally
>Barb
>Shit
Nigga, have you even played this game?
>>
>>46989468
Rogues and battlemasters are far from amazing and pallies and barbs are not shit (except for berserkers)
>>
>>46989540
>hating on rogue and battlemaster
>>46989468
>hating on pally and barb
You're both windowlicking theorymancers are you?
>>
>>46989586
>Theorymancer
>Hating on the best damagewise fighter ever, the battlemaster
And you don't know what teorymancer means, in fact, no "theorymancer" could hate paladins either, numbers roll in their favour too
>>
>>46989631
Nice reading comprehension.
>>
>>46989586
I don't hate the damage pallys and barbs do. It's just they kind of fail at doing anything beyond damage. The pally spell list is anemic, and combat almost always boils down to "I hit it, and maybe I smite it"

Barbarians are similar, except they get exhausted after combat.
>>
For those who play dragonborns, what is some of the most useful things to do with your dragon breath?
>>
>>46989682
Kill yourself and make a proper character.
>>
>>46988596
No, but it could easily be made an arcane tradition for Wizards.
>>
>>46989784

nah, fuck that. There are plenty of PrCs for Shadowcaster that can easily be rolled into archetypes.

For instance, The noctumancer was one that a Wizard could take to do dual Arcane/Mysteries but it's main stick was being able to dispel magic and either : A. replenish your use of magic/mysteries or B. make yourself momentarily immune to the spell so you have one.

Then you have Master of Shadows where you have a pet Shadow Elemental that grows and fights along side you and then you can have Shadow Smith
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
File: true_potential.jpg (240 KB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
true_potential.jpg
240 KB, 750x1046
5E Drama Cards when?
>>
File: index.jpg (5 MB, 5625x2615) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5 MB, 5625x2615
>>46990768
I made some. I'm still proofreading them, and reconsidering a few.
>>
>>46990858
Can you upload the completed versions in PNG, packed elsewhere if needed? JPG artefacts are pretty icky.
>>
>>46991070
Yeah, I want to make a printer friendly pdf. One that would be just cut and sleeve (over basic lands or something, to get that nice card stock feel)

I'll export the images into .png then.
>>
>>46990858
Keep us updated, these are really neat and I can't wait to see and potentially use the finished product.
>>
My best illusion wasn't even an illusion. I just had a marker set up as part of a riddle. A section of rock carved out expertly to look like a (rather monotone) chest from a distance. From afar I just described it as a chest, but simply approaching it would quickly show it to be, effectively, a statue they could use to help orient themselves.

Instead of walking up to it, they suddenly got all on edge, firing crossbow bolts (hilariously we had a 1 and a 2 roll before they actually hit it) and the Wizard even wasted some spells before the Barbarian decided to charge with Greatsword drawn, slow half way, then turn and shout "Guys its just a rock."
>>
Any suggestions for non-concentration level 1, 2, and 3 spells for a lore bard? I like crowd control and trickery stuff, but almost all of them require concentration. I'm in a three man party with a battlemaster fighter and a war cleric starting Curse of Strahd soon.

Also, what are some good spells for magical secrets at level 6? I'm looking at Counterspell and maybe Fireball, just for coverage.
>>
>>46991812
1st - Sleep, Dissonant Whispers
2nd - Blindness/Deafness
3rd - Dispel magic, Plant Growth
>>
>>46991812
Counterspell and Fireball are good choices, CS more so than FB.
>>
Really stupid newbie question - character sheets always seem to have a smaller and largeer area for your ability score and ability mod. What's the convention for what goes where, and more importantly... why?
>>
>>46992043
Mod is bigger, because you actually use it.
>>
Illusions hardly ever give away their true nature, only be investigating do you discover they're illusions.
>>
>>46988569
Apply some basic divination stuff to it. I don't remember the exact rules, but look up the spell "Detect Magic" for some ideas on what it can't see through.

Generally speaking, lead always blocks basic divination stuff.
>>
File: 5e pregen.png (234 KB, 794x757) Image search: [Google]
5e pregen.png
234 KB, 794x757
>>46992043
Little = score, big = mod.
>>
>>46988612
You're doing Thard Harr's work, son.

Convince your DM to let you blow a whole feat on Expertise for 1-2 skills. Multiclassing is for the weak. If you have Tavern Brawler and are a Dwarf Barb, you're already going to go far.
>>
>>46992313
Thats not a bad idea, My DM is pretty Lenient. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>46989682
Grapple someone, restrain them with grapple feat, spit acid on their face. They will have disadvantage on dex saves.
>>
>>46992067
>>46992180

I never liked that. The modifier is derived from the ability score, so I put the ability score in the big box. Bugs me when I see it the other way around. Very ugly.
>>
Has anyone used mindflayers before? Any advice on how to play them?

Is giving one a shield guardian too much?
>>
>>46992390
That requires taking the Grapple feat, though. Who in their right mind would do that?
>>
>>46992462
Hey I never said I would do that, it was just an idea for dragonborn haha

I only play dwarves so I don't have these kinds of problems.
>>
>>46989682
Breathe Fire/Acid/Cold/whatever onto your weapon to modify its damage? idk
>>
>>46989682
Use Fire or Lightning breath to ignite wooden objects in a room. Just set a whole tavern on fire, or drop chandeliers on people by zapping the ropes. Huff Cold on chains to make them more brittle and shatter them with a melee strike. If you're ever tied up, just barf acid on yourself and eat away the chains or rope. Create thermal shock in metal or stone objects by heating/cooling them to the opposite of your breath weapon and then spitting up all over the place. Carry oil flasks or a big barrel of the shit if you're Fire or Lightning, throw those thigns and ignite. Do the same with water skins if you have Cold. If you're Poison, cough on peoples' food and ask, "Do you want that?" Grapple fuckers, bite their face, and huff concentrated energy down their throat. Complain to the bandits who've just stuck up your group that you're not really in a mood to fight today because you've got a killer toothache and desperately need to see a dentist, see, lean in and look, the gum's all swollen here and I think that's a cavity and HRUAHRAURHAURHAURHARHAGHGHAGHRHARGHRARGH. Buy a metal blowgun and force your breath weapon through a fucking straw to snipe enemies while propelling a dart at Mach 0.5. Join the circus.
>>
>>46992678
If your DM allows half of this.
>>
Do the Zendikar races actually feel underpowered? except for the vampire?
>>
>>46992678
Your DM would 100% allow this if it were a spell but since it's only a quasi-magical physical ability of the race and you're probably Fighter Scum, physics (or at least a certain erroneous interpretation of them) exists only to limit you.

>cast Burning Hands for 3d6 on an object, ask if it can be set on fire
>SURE
>barf Fire on an object for 3d6, ask if it can be set on fire
>MMMM NO
every time
>>
>>46992740
Only one that felt underpowered to me were the goblins.
>>
>>46992756
Martials are U S E F U L
>>
>go to gitp forums
>hoping to read some interesting uses for spells
>find a 17 page thread on minor illusion
>think this will be productive
>it's a 17 page discussion on the physics of minor illusion.

I... I didn't think I would find a forum as autistic as 5eg, but there it is.

How can it be that hard to realize taht minor illusion is a mental effect that has no real world consequences beyond changing the behavior of psychological beings?
>>
>>46992833
but if i make a minor illusion of a watermelon, can i put it five feet in the air? does it fall? at what speed? does the illusion break on the ground? what if there's illusionary ground below it?
>>
>>46992678
As a DM, I would not only allow this, I would give Inspiration for this.
>>
>>46992887
yes
only if you want it to
The speed your character sets it to fall at
only if you want it to
depends on what your character knows about the illusory ground and how it affects what your character wants to do with the illusion.
>>
>>46992833
Isn't minor illusion more like a hologram? Everyone can see the illusion, so if it was mental, that means you are tapping into everyones head to make them see something
>>
>>46992756
Sounds like your DM is a piece of shit.

Not everybody puts up with what you're apparently willing to, Anon.
>>
>>46992971
Yes.
>>
How are abjuration wizards? The ward seems like a bitch to charge and you don't get the counter spell stuff till level 10
>>
>>46993045
They blow.
>>
File: Highway Mirage EPOD.usra.edu.jpg (63 KB, 750x522) Image search: [Google]
Highway Mirage EPOD.usra.edu.jpg
63 KB, 750x522
>>46992971
I always thought that minor illusion was more like a mirage - a trick of the light to make you see something that's not really there (pic related). Digging around in the head of any and all creatures that can see the object from who knows how far away seems horribly complicated by comparison.
>>
>>46993081
Which are best? Conjuration, Divination, Transmutation, or Necromany (non-rp-wise)
>>
>>46993107
Conjuration is the best for a dip. Minor Conjuration is the best feature in the game, but the rest kind of blow.

Divination is the best overall.

Transmutation and Necromancer are both good, but not the best.
>>
>>46992971
It, and all illusion spells, are literally illusions. Note how they require an Intelligence save to see through; you have to examine what you're seeing and reflect upon what you're looking at to realize something's wrong with it.
>>
>>46988940
>>46984963

This. Will be really cool. Use whispers to your DM when you're doing non-fighter shit if you're using an online interface and use a muted IRC if it's an at-table game.
>>
>>46993239
In general it's kinda fun to be a discrete caster imo. Or to pretend to be something you aren't in general.
>>
>>46993293
I've been pretending to be a mage for the past 13 sessions or so. Shit's fire.
>>
>I approach the kid to see what she's drawing
>Alright, give me an Acrobatics check to see if you can avoid stepping on the drawing.
ffs
>>
>>46993421
I'm mad FOR you, Anon. Fuck that DM.
>>
>>46993421
>i approach the kid to see what she's drawing
>okay, give me an athletics check to see if you run out of breath
>>
>>46993421
>Perception check to see if you see the drawing.
>>
>>46993421
Roll two d20s. If either of them is greater than a six, reach across the table and slap his dumb ass, because you've beaten his AC with advantage because he's sitting.
>>
>>46993478
>Insight / Investigation check to see if you can figure out what it is
>>
>>46993421
>>>46993421
>Town guard: "Oy' citizen, 'ave ya seen this man 'ere?" *shows illustration of companion on a wanted poster*
>"Never seen the man."
>DM, coyly: "Roll me a deception check..."
>>
>>46993487
Can't, we're playing through roll20...
>>
>>46993508
>give me a persuasion check to see if you stutter while talking to her.
>>
File: Gaston.jpg (195 KB, 1000x548) Image search: [Google]
Gaston.jpg
195 KB, 1000x548
>>46993421
>tfw the DM starts throwing random perception checks at the party and we have no idea what we're missing but when someone succeeds...
>you notice a rat scurry across the hall
>>
>>46993537
>gonna need a Survival check to see if you've remembered to breathe this whole time
>>
>>46993421
>Wisdom saving throw to avoid staring at her sweet, youthful, bent-over bum
>>
>>46993548
Throwing random checks at the party for seemingly no reason is a good idea, though. It keeps them off their game for when the DM actually IS trying to gauge whether they see a trap or something, because they're so used to it now it doesn't even register.

If you've got a DM who never asks for checks unless something's up, the moment he asks for one, a savvy party knows they need to slow the fuck down and INCIDENTALLY start casting Detect Magic and tapping the floor with a 10 foot pole while staring at the walls and ceiling very intently.
>>
>>46993595
Not illegal in D&D.
>>
>>46993595
>Failed save
>Anime nosebleed
>Roll medicine to stop
>>
>>46993631
>nat 1 medicine
>give yourself aids somehow
>>
>>46993613
>>46993595
>Constitution saving throw to resist erection

>Deception check to begin grooming her

>Persuasion check to invite her into the back of your carriage
>>
>>46993649
XD
>>
File: 1451316571707.png (110 KB, 281x436) Image search: [Google]
1451316571707.png
110 KB, 281x436
I want to make a kobold Booker T. Washington. I want my main goals to be the liberation of kobolds from dragonkind, and their enlightenment so they can live together with the civilized races.
However, I want him to realize that, even after educating his kin, cutting deals with local towns to accept them, and fighting for their rights, one of the biggest threats to kobolds progressing as Kurtulmak would want is kobolds themselves- those who refuse to learn to be better, and live life as raiders. And since he's better at fighting than teaching how to farm, he would destroy these rogue groups and warrens and salvage who he could to teach them better ways.
Is this too edgy?
>>
>>46993596
Shouldn't you use passive unless they say they want to search?
>>
>>46993745
Not when the whole party has the same passive Perception.
>>
>>46993596
Roll Perception and Stealth for them, you mad man.
>>
>>46993779
>rolling for the characters
N E V E R
I will occasionally roll behind the screen (or just put d20s in chat if we're doing it over roll20) for seemingly no reason, though. That also weirds them out.
especially if you say "hey jerry, how much wisdom do you have again?" right before rolling
>>
File: 3824924-5449651677-Tyran.jpg (146 KB, 493x640) Image search: [Google]
3824924-5449651677-Tyran.jpg
146 KB, 493x640
How would you stat a 5e Swarmlord?
>>
>>46993863
what the fuck is this ugly ass over-designed shit?
>>
>>46993904
>>
>>46993904
An angry space dinosaur bug
>>
File: knight beach.jpg (158 KB, 719x1100) Image search: [Google]
knight beach.jpg
158 KB, 719x1100
DMs of /5eg/, what quests do your kings send adventurers on?

Players, what quests have kings sent you on?

I have a king whose kingdom is mostly ruled de facto by its highest ranking generals, who are administrators or the large cities. The king has issued a call to adventures far and wide to basically take care of some shit that grunts have had trouble with, but also to form a cadre of skilled individuals loyal to his coin in case any generals get revolutiony.

The players probably won't reside there forever and I have a couple of quests cooked up, but I would deeply appreciate some inspiration in the form of stories from your campaigns or ideas you've been rolling around.
>>
5eg, you guys know any good 3d resources sets?

or any good dungeon tiles sets? anything with 1inch square grid will work
>>
For a quick and dirty 5E darksun, would it be too much of a bonus for the arcane casters if spells that are on the druid, cleric, paladin and ranger lists (possibly with a handful of exclusives like Armor of Agathys or Dissonant Whispers) as not causing defiling due to being considered primal in nature. This gives them a small handful of cross-class spells to play with while potentially generally discouraging them.

Also I'm thinking of using 4e defiling as is, which might be a bit too deadly.
>>
Aaaand now that DM has sent one of the players who-knows-the-fuck-where with an NPC (teleported there by her drawings) and we have no way to join back with him and he has been going with that one single player for over 20 minutes now...
>>
>>46994186
post pics. or are you the roll20 guy?
>>
>>46994169
It'd be easier just to convert 4e's defiling mechanics. Having to look up whether a spell is on those lists as well as yours, not to mention extra spells you explicitly label as such, would be too tedious. Just take advantage of 5e's modularity and add on the extra defiling subsystem.
>>
File: Capturar.png (28 KB, 281x435) Image search: [Google]
Capturar.png
28 KB, 281x435
>>46994264
Yes.
Pic related is rest of the party entertaining ourselves.
>>
>>46994381
Post screencaptures of your DM asking for pointless rolls.
>>
File: Capturar2.png (7 KB, 265x177) Image search: [Google]
Capturar2.png
7 KB, 265x177
>>46994428
Ah, we're talking through skype. We were using chat because DMing was going with only one players while we had to wait.

But this is the aforementioned roll.
>>
When are we getting the 5e book of erotic fantasy?
>>
>>46994622
That's what the DM's Guild is for.
>>
Look, okay. Don't ask what happened, all you need to know is my character has a vial of dragon semen. What can you do with this?
>>
>>46994650
Drink it.

Make a Half-Dragon.

Make a Full-Dragon.

Make a Dragon Dildo with real cum squirting action.
>>
File: 1450121128846.jpg (133 KB, 600x504) Image search: [Google]
1450121128846.jpg
133 KB, 600x504
>>46988409
Tonight the Mage created a Phantasm to distract a Hell Hound on a bridge so the Thief and Monk could sneak up the adjacent guard towers and murder the hobgoblin archers, only to have the Monk botch it and alert the undead dragon sentry to their presence.

But then they managed to collapse the bridge by finding a weak point, so everything went pretty well for them.
>>
>>46994650
Dragons can breed with any sapient race. Raise a Half-Dragon as your child.
>>
>>46994701
Add to Decanter of Endless Water.
Infinite (watered down) Dragon semen.
>>
>>46994701
Well... I am a female dragonborn in the campaign.
>>
I have a question for you /5eg/. If bat familiars have blindsense does that mean they automatically detect anything trying to stealth within 60 ft? I'm a wizard and so far in my current campaign I'm playing in I haven't really utilized my familiar much. Likewise, are there any interesting uses for familiars in and out of combat aside from looking through their eyes and touch/help actions?
>>
>>46994824
That makes me wonder, what happens if a dragon knocks up/gets knocked up by a dragon? Is the result a Dragonborn, half-dragon, 1/3rd dragon or something else entirely?
>>
No, but they don't get disadvantage from darkness or other obscuration.
>>
File: 1459644919333.jpg (102 KB, 1192x953) Image search: [Google]
1459644919333.jpg
102 KB, 1192x953
>>46994868
*one being a Dragonborn, obviously.
>>
>>46994837
Nope, This time around blindsense doesn't have any special rules governing it. It only means that a creatures non visual senses give it as much information as our visual senses do only rouges of 14th level get old school stealth autofails blindsight. that being said it would still let your familiar take search actions in the dark.
>>
>>46994824
Inseminate yourself. Seriously, it'll be hilariously awkward and in the end kinda cool. Shoulda just let the dragon fuck you though, slut.
>>
>>46994872
>>46994933
Alright thanks for the quick reply. Follow up question to that then, as a familiar I can "see through" my familiar's eyes and hear what it hears. Does that mean I can effectively use blindsense as well, or does that mean I'm as blind as a bat?
>>
How's this sound for an animu swordsman/fencer class ability (probably fighter or monk homebrew)
>razor slash
>one attack action
>Attack an enemy with a lightning fast attack
>Enemy makes a DC(your "skill" modifier, identical to spell DC but with dex) dex save or takes (weapon damage die) damage, or half as much on a failed save
>>
>>46995013
I should have. Lost oppurtunity.
>>
>>46995013

The realms are getting pretty magical around here.
>>
>>46995018

Sure, that's basically in line with cantrips already in the game. Might be a little bit nasty with a large weapon, but if it doesn't scale like a cantrip then it's not such a big deal.
>>
In the gothic pulp adventure spirit, I'm statting up a player race that's more or less Frankenstein's monster. Yes, I know flesh golems exist, and they're not exactly perfect for this. Right now I've got the following:
>Medium, Speed 30
>ASI: +2 Con, +1 Str
>Not Again. When reduced to 0 hit points and not killed outright, you must succeed five death saving throws to become stable, and fail five death saving throws to die.
>Grounded Resistance. You have resistance to lightning damage.
>Pyrophobia. When you take fire damage, until the end of your next turn, you gain 10 movement speed and your melee attacks deal an additional 1d6 bludgeoning damage.

I think it needs another ability, as right now it's all quite situational; Dying is something that (ideally) doesn't come up all the time, lightning damage is fairly uncommon, and a benefit that only arises after taking fire damage isn't one that's useful often. What's something thematic?
>>
>>46993779

Depends on your players. If you can trust them to not metagame, then it's fun to have that level of dramatic irony, where the players know something that their characters don't. My players are really great at this, and it leads to good times and laughs when someone marches confidently forward into the lich's lair after rolling a 2 on stealth.
>>
If I'm an EK with two attacks per action, and I use Greenflame blade for my first attack, can I not then make a second attack at all?
>>
>>46995287
Using a cantrip is taking the "Cast a Spell" action, not the "Attack" action.
So no, it doesn't work with Extra Attack.
>>
> I hit harder because I'm afraid of being on fire.
What.
>>
>>46995308
Well that's lame.

Why would anyone ever use GFB post level 5 then (assuming they gain the extra attack feat, which really anyone using GFB should have, why would a pure wiz/sorc take GFB)
>>
>>46995368
Angry, not afraid.
>>
>>46995382
>extra attack
>feat
wat
Because a EK's GFB will do 1d8/tier+int to a second creature in addition to hurting the original target normally. Why wouldn't you use it?
>>
>>46995368
>>46995438
?wat
>>
>>46995483
obviously he was abbreviating "feature" you fucking nitwit
>>
>>46995018
Say, you going to make a set of these abilities, or just that one?
>>
>>46995483
what else would you call it? it's a (thing) that gives a (thing) a (thing).

also, what? I would never use that over just taking a second attack in 99% of situations. Complete waste of a cantrip slot besides for 1-4 where it will probably gain you a total of 3~ damage only to a single adjacent enemy only when enemies are 5ft from each other

2d6+4 and 2d6+4 on a single target is better than 2d6 + 4 on a single target then 1d8 + 3 on a different mook
>>
File: 1460495955820.jpg (324 KB, 995x1599) Image search: [Google]
1460495955820.jpg
324 KB, 995x1599
>>46995538
I'm guessing >>46995368 meant to reply to >>46995221
>>
>>46995563
Right now it's just that and a few other questionably balanced ideas I've been having my mind wander on here at work since it's slow as fuck.
>>
>>46995609
Well I've got nothing but time right now. Want some help with them?
>>
File: tiny wizard.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
tiny wizard.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
running LMOP tomorrow, they're going to assault the Redbrands hideout.

assuming Iarno hightails it out of there, where are some good places to have him pop up so the party can give a well deserved thrashing?
>>
>>46995382
At this points those spells are best for melee casters without Extra Attack, and even better for rogues.
>>
Give me your best "annoy the GM" build

one of my longtime friends and players is doing a one off for me and the group, and I want to be the biggest annoying cunt in combat as I can be (like he is)

I think i'm doing an eldritch knight with shield master. Plate armor + shield + protection fighting style. Cast shield when enemies attack for a shitdick wall of AC. Use absorb elements for save based damage (which is generally elemental of some sort), shield master allows me to add the shield AC to dex saves + take no damage from succesful dex saves.

counterspell to shut down his shit + the lucky feat for more re-rolls and stuff.

should b fun
>>
>>46995737
If you decide to multiclass, be sure to go Abjuration Wizard. Even more tanky possibilitis with Arcane Ward, and by 10th level they can pretty much counterspell anything.
>>
>>46995581
>2d6+4 and 2d6+4 on a single target is better than 2d6 + 4 on a single target then 1d8 + 3 on a different mook
The Melee attack gets an extra 1d8 damage too. So it's 2d6+4 (11) plus 2d6+4 (11) for 22 total damage on average to one or two targets, or 2d6+1d8+4 (15.5) plus 1d8+3 (7.5) to a different target for 23 total damage on average, which gives you the option to hit two different enemies but focus more on one of them.

Also, Fighter gets Extra Attack 2 at level 11 for three melee attacks at once, but Eldritch Knight gets War Magic at 7, which lets you Green-Flame Blade and still get a second Melee attack off as a bonus action.
>>
Is there any point to having a shortbow as a caster if I have a fire cantrip that does more damage? Especially since it means I can't have a shield equipped with the bow out.
>>
>>46995737
Warlock 3 (patron is your choice, pact of the chain)
Wizard 2 (conjuration)
Rogue X (Arcane Trickster)

Use minor conjuration to summon weird shit, like alchemist fire, or a bottle of alchemist fire, caltrops ball bearings, oil, and a contact poison (minor conjuration is ambiguous as to what counts as a single object, as GM I permit bags of ball bearings/caltrops because it makes sense to do so, and if one of my players made a bottle like this, I would permit them to conjure it as well). Use your familiar and mage hand to take 2 turns during your one turn, using all the items.

Take illusion spells (warlock has a great invocation that lets you cast silent image at will), and really make the DM think about what the NPCs know and don't know, etc.

Done right, you can have a DM that forgets about rule 0, but obeys all the other rules rolling dice for days trying to resolve things.
>>
>>46995801
fire resistance I suppose
>>
>>46995801
>Beholders' anti-magic cone
>Rakshasas' magic immunity
>Red Dragons' fire immunity
Some shit requires different tools. There's always a point in keeping a diverse set.
>>
>>46977574
Did they change this after AD&D? Or was it later?
>>
>>46995801
Fire Immune/Resistant enemies
Verbal components on a stealth run
Sharpshooter
Enemies who are immune to level X or lower spells

But those are edge cases so no not really.
>>
>>46994268
>letting arcane casters get spells off for free without defiling or the penalties for NOT defiling
That's like half the point of Dark Sun, man.
>>
>>46995774
oh my dude I know. I'm rocking abj spells all day

ever notice that there is like a single level 2 abj spell and it's fucking arcane lock? what's up with that?

there is a dick ton of abj spells for 1st and 3rd but there is a single one for 2 and it's completely non-combat oriented.

>>46995788
well that makes it less shit for me, still not great. solid cantrip for something like an Arcane Trickster for sure though

>>46995823
this is honestly hilarious, because that's almost exactly the GM's character in my game. AT focusing on using stupid ass shit like caltrops and oil slicks and bugs bunny'ing it with illusions
>>
>>46995840
Don't forget pretty much every demon is fire immune, even lowly imps.

>make feat to ignore enemy resistance to element
>it doesn't let you damage enemies with immunity at resist level
What even is the fuckin point. I wanted to make a pure pyromancer until I learned that.
>>
>>46995874
>make feat to ignore enemy resistance to element
>it doesn't let you damage enemies with immunity at resist level

i'd allow that, it makes sense
>>
>>46995872
It's what I would play, if I could ever not be DM.
>>
Any DMs experiment with some sort of wealth abstraction system for higher-leveled characters? Would, say, a Wealth ability score be worth trying, a la Honor in the DMG?
>>
>>46995621
Well really they'd just be Cantrip-level actions or attacks, it'd be pretty easy to take existing cantrips and make them martial.
>>
>>46995872
>well that makes it less shit for me, still not great. solid cantrip for something like an Arcane Trickster for sure though

It'll rock again once you get to level 7 2d6+5 x2 for 24 average damage, vs 2d6+1d8+5 plus 1d8+3 plus 2d6+5 for 36 average damage. Extra Attack won't catch up for 4 levels.
>>
>>46995943
tell your players you want a break from being the dm for awhile.

if they're not shitheads someone will volunteer. they should all know the rules well enough if they've played multiple sessions.

my players are shitheads but they still have a sense of decency. Takes a lot of effort to DM and we want to play, too.

>>46995999
I was planning on stopping by EK at 6, but I may grab war magic now.
>>
>>46995801
I kind of love mixing bows into casting because Levitate/Fly + Lightning Arrow makes for some really fun flavor
>>
>>46995673
I had him pop up all the way at the end, tied up at Nezznar's feet, but in the end my players didn't give a shit about him. They never really said what they wanted done with him. Maybe he's still in there.
>>
>>46996020
>if they're not shitheads someone will volunteer. they should all know the rules well enough if they've played multiple sessions.
Be careful what you wish for:
>>Yeah, I'll DM a game, Anon
>Goes dark for 6 months
>Meets with you for character creation; throws your entire sheet in a bin a week later, doesn't tell you about it
>> I'm onto something with this story, Anons, just sit tight
> Six more months pass
> Session 1
> Whole novel's worth of no-deviations fluff
> DMPC from verboten sorcerer homebrew
> Didn't spend any of that time reading the rulebook.

I left after 2 sessions, drank a shitton of bourbon, and had to find a new group.
>>
>>46990768
What are these? Are they just for randomized dramatic events?
>>46990858
>Brainstorm
>draw three cards then put two cards from your hand on top of your deck
OK, I see you using Magic art for literally all of those, but this is fucking ridiculous. That's literally just the Magic card without the mana symbol/card type.
>>
>>46995673
>>46996222
>attempting to run LMoP
>it's gone completely off the rails

they just got to cragmaw castle, at level 3,

>>46996238
sounds like shit players/friends mate. my group lives about 10~ minutes away from me and they've been my friend group since Highschool

dude's dm'ed our babby dnd thing we did awhile ago, he did a solid job, so i'm looking forward to it.

I've already told them once we finish LMoP someone else is gonna DM, or we're not gonna play. If they want to play DnD and enjoy it they'll step up.

it'll probably make them better players too.
>>
>>46996275
Oh, that wasn't my only group.

But it happens.
>>
>>46996275
>they just got to cragmaw castle, at level 3,
Uh... did you drop the end of that sentence somewhere, mate?
>>
>>46996275
>>46996308
>they just got to cragmaw castle, at level 3,

forgot the rest; they went full off the rails running about having a good time, got to level three, now just going back to the actual plot.

since a castle of goblins would be boring as shit, I think I'm gonna have undead sweeping through the castle, turning hobgoblins and shit. mite b cool to have them fighting assorted goblonoids + undead while they are also fighting each other.

anyway I was gonna ask how you'd guys scale LMoP up for a higher level party than was intended.
>>
>>46996273
What's ridiculous about porting over some iconic magic cards though?
>>
>>46996381
I don't know, I just feel as though it might take players a bit out of things. I guess I don't really know how these cards actually WORK, but even then it seems risky to cross the streams like this. I feel like one ought to be thinking of D&D or Magic but not both at the same time, if that makes sense. It's a question of focus.

So, seriously, again: what are these cards and how do you use them?
>>
>>46996381
Get your goddamn MTG chocolate out of my D&D peanut butter.
>>
>>46996412
players start each session with 1d4 cards, and can use 1 card each per scene. Every time they use a card, the DM gets a card, and everytime the DM uses a card, they get a card.

The DM uses the cards to modify NPCs and the scene in certain predefined ways (usually adverse to the PCs interest, to ratchet up drama), and the PCs use the cards to do whatever they want.

It's designed to encourage the PCs to contribute more to narrative building.

The main thing I'm thinking about changing is adding a "mana cost" to the mythics and specials. Essentially, to play them you would have to discard 2-3 cards of the same color.
>>
>>46996414
Look, I like both, but let's be honest, they're far from chocolate + peanut butter. D&D has schools of magic with spells of different levels; Magic has colors of spells with different mana costs. D&D has alignment to roughly describe character motivations and personalities, MtG has colors again to do the same thing. Any attempt to jam those systems, neat as they are, together, is going to result in almost certain failure.

Take Lord of the Rings for example. I love Lord of the Rings, but when people come on here and ask people what level Wizard Gandalf is and you have to say, "well, actually he was of a race of people called Maia who would be more accurately described as angels than wizards..." you feel a bit stupid because it's really just a simple question of one thing being different from another thing. One thing is a square peg, the other thing is a round hole. That doesn't say anything about how much I might like that square peg in addition to that round hole, but that does say something about the first thing's ability to fit into the second thing in a way that retains all of the aspects of each that I like.

And it's not like my entire playgroup plays Magic anyway. Even if I were to accept your analogy, I wouldn't serve the party Reeses' if anyone in my group is allergic to peanut butter.

>>46996480
That sounds like a pretty neat idea, honestly. It sounds like it would lead to a very improvisational campaign, though: some of those cards are pretty dramatic. I wouldn't want to include them in a game that had a strong plot, you know? The mana cost thing sounds like a bit much, to me; the simplicity of "play card, thing happens" is attractive for improv.
>>
>>46996547
Yeah, the mythics and specials are very plot ruining right now. I wanted the potential for those sorts of miraculous things to be in there. The rarity balance I'm going to test out with my group this sunday is this:

5 of each common card (125 total)
4 of each uncommon card (80 total)
3 of each rare card (45 total)
2 of each mythic card (20 total)
1 of each special card (5 total)

I think I'm going to add some artifact commons to the deck to increase the rarity of the really dramatic ones even more.
>>
>>46989631
>he thinks it's a numbers game
>>
What's the healiest healer you can possibly make?
I'm talking outside of magic too, so that healer feat and Herbalism expertise too.
>>
>>46996755
Druid 1/Life cleric X with goodberries. That's the fastest way, heal 1 + Wis x10 (start at 30 HP healed, up to 60 with 20 Wis) for a 1st-level slot.

There's also lore bard 6, steal Aura of Vitality for the best out-of-combat healing available. 20d6 (average 70, up to 120) for a single 3rd-level slot. You can do that in-combat too, 2d6 every round as a bonus action. It's probably the best option for in-combat healing, otherwise tons of Cure Wounds and Healing Words get expensive.

And anyone can take Healer for a little extra healing.
>>
>>46996755
Life cleric
>>
Reminder to do the survey. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/dd-survey-results-summary
>>
>>46988409
>DMs, how have you tricked your players with illusions?
Keeping excellent and up-to-date notes on my players' saves and shit that changes them. I roll perception-based saves for them myself and then inform them of what they percieve. It's up to them both OOC and IC to determine if they're being tricked or not. This helps with immersion as well as keeping the metagaming faggots from going "I rolled an 18 and passed so clearly it's this illusion".

If nosy players ask what I'm rolling for I invoke the Ancient Chinese Secret of "ask too many questions and it'll be me rolling for how many levels you lose".
>>
>>46993001
Don't worry, he's not real.
People going on about martials and physics are actually pieces of internet coding that have gained sentience and go around bothering real people by pretending they've ever actually played rpgs.
>>
>>46996412
The tarokka was pretty nifty in 2E and there was a Ravenloft remix of the deck of many things specifically for it. The deck of many things itself has always been a fun if a bit crazy item.

Fate/Narrative cards was always kind of a thing, it was just a very optional thing.
>>
>>46993478
I had a player try to convince me that he shouldn't have to indicate that he's turning around to look for enemies behind him in order to be entitled to a Perception check.

I asked him if he had eyes in the back of his head and he said "no". So he got stabbed in the back by the rogue sneaking up on him instead of just turning around.
>>
>>46996813
>Tell us about this gothic stuff!
I honestly wasn't a huge fan of that UA. Didn't really appeal to me. Monster Hunter didn't have anything that jumped out at me like some of the other UAs have had in the past. Inquisitive was nice but really just a fluff-heavy rogue.
>>
>>46997040
Did the Rogue at least roll Stealth against the player's PP?
>>
>>46997075
Yeah. Beat it by a few points since the Rogue was taking its sweet time and being really quiet. The player was just dumb and was looking in front of him for an enemy that had snuck around behind him.
>>
>>46996357
Keep with the goblins. Just play them smart - there's a squad of hobgoblins there and they're competent military tacticians. Don't keep things static in their assigned rooms just waiting for the party, have them react. Barricade the mess hall with overturned tables and throw knives all over the floor to turn it into difficult terrain, make a killing field for hobgoblin archers and goblin spearmen. Tip oil across the chapel floor and set it alight, then have the grick crawl across the roof and walls to eat them when they try to get out. Release the owlbear intentionally, herd it through the castle by letting it chase goblins and lead it into the party. King whatshisface is a bugbear, he shouldn't be waiting for the party he should be ambushing them when they rush to check on the unconscious dwarf on the floor.

And if they still steamroll it, there's that hobgoblin hunting party you can throw into the mix.
>>
So why can you only nonlethal an enemy with melee attacks instead of ranged attacks?
Both from a fluff and a game balance perspective.

Are all ranged attackers inherently murderhobos?
>>
>>46997238
>Nonlethal arrow to the face from 300 feet away
>Just as easy as knocking someone over the noggin with the hilt of a sword
>>
>>46997238
You can't really control a crossbow bolt, an arrow or a .40-.80 ball of lead.

At ranged it makes some sense that poisons would be required. Having shit like potions of sleep under alchemy would be grand.
>>
>>46997279
>>46997278
>Arrow to the leg or stomach from 10~20 feet away that might leave them dying but doesn't instantly kill them
>Somehow completely impossible
>>
>>46997310
>Arrow in gut
>Not bleeding out
>Stable, no death saves
>>
>>46997325
There's a difference between 'okay you shot him down now you have 10-20 seconds to save them if you want them alive' and 'okay you shot him down and he's dead before he hits the floor hope you didn't need him for anything'
>>
>>46997238
Because HP is an abstraction of stamina and luck until the final blow.

A melee attack can be glanced off at the last second to not mortally wound him, only knock him out.

A ranged attack has let loose and is flying no matter if you drop them or not.

This works since the decision is made when you drop them to 0, not before you make the attack, at least by RAW.
>>
File: 1423333620208.jpg (208 KB, 700x1046) Image search: [Google]
1423333620208.jpg
208 KB, 700x1046
Currently planning out a Sword and Sorcery campaign, and I'm at a bit of a block.
Thinking on if I should:
>Restrict any Classes
>Restrict any Races

Currently I'm thinking I should either just refluff both and make the more exotic ones (Wizards, Paladins, Dragonborn, Tieflings, and Gnomes) rare enough that they are automatically considered evil/untrustworthy by anyone or just drop them altogether. Overall it's a Human-Halfling-Orc/Gob dominated setting, with Dwarves fucking off in one big mountain and Elves fucking off in some Cold War between Dark and High varieties. It's early Iron Age based akin to Conan-type shit and meant to follow a similar, albeit more magical, feel. Mighty Scale-clad warriors brandishing sharp steel and crafty rogues from the decadent cities plying their trades in ancient, forgotten cities, with a few evil cults and shaman-like spellcasters thrown in for good measure, that type of shit.

Should I put restrictions in place?
>>
>>46997430
Why can't that 'luck' abstraction be used to have the projectile hit a non-vital area?

It makes as much sense as suddenly retconning a bastard sword through the chest into a smack across the head with a hilt or the flat of the blade.

And all these are fluff justifications, but how does it affect gameplay positively?
>If you want to be merciful with a concern for life you need to roll melee
>If a hostage escapes and starts running away you need to run over and catch up to them if you want to incapacitate them without accidentally killing them
>If you really need to spare an enemy then after a point all the ranged attackers in the party should just either sit down and wait or switch weapons into something they have less training and expertise in to charge into melee
>>
>>46997498
Are you allowing EE, SCAG, or UA? Might want to ban the bonus races there, Senpai.
>>
File: 1423332613983.jpg (821 KB, 737x1200) Image search: [Google]
1423332613983.jpg
821 KB, 737x1200
>>46997535
Was planning on sticking almost entirely with Core for Character Creation, might allow stuff like Kits of Old, etc. and a few spells from EE and SCAG, but not much else.
>>
>>46997530
For what it's worth, AD&D used to have fairly good morale tables and I wish they were still in. Smart enemies whose hit points dropped too low could run away or try to surrender.

Basically when they were too exhausted to fight on.
>>
>>46997354
Sorry buddy, taking someone alive isn't supposed to be as easy as killing them considering you're likely defending yourself from people not interested in taking you alive. If you want to down someone without dealing a mortal wound, put down the bow and get in close.
>>
>>46997530
It's the nature of the weapon. In melee, you have a variety of ways to hit an enemy. When ranged, no matter where on the body you target, you're firing a very lethal projectile. When someone does a nonlethal blow with a sword, it's not with the pointy or sharp bit. Your non lethal blow with an arrow involves the same part that's lethal.

So, yes. It's harder for archers to take people down non-lethally. Perhaps that's not balanced, but your attempts to argue that it's not sensible is a pretty uphill battle.

As for how it effects gameplay, is your whole party composed of ranged characters? Some actions are better performed by different characters. You can safely engage from a distance. Melee characters can knock enemies out. Sorry you can't do EVERYTHING.
>>
>>46997623
>Sorry buddy, taking someone alive isn't supposed to be as easy as killing them

But it literally is, if you're melee. Suddenly you get the ability to do the exact same amount of damage with your sword with the caveat you did an unspecified amount of holding back that isn't reflected in the damage numbers or rolls.

You're saying that somehow a master archer with years of training and feat support for ranged weapons is somehow still less precise with it than if they picked up an axe they barely use and swing it at someone.

I mean sure, it's not easy, but it's not goddamn impossible. Meanwhile, sparing someone from getting killed melee is apparently a simple decision even if you're a raging barbarian using reckless attack on a man in a wheelchair.
>>
File: 1336898329633.png (182 KB, 442x341) Image search: [Google]
1336898329633.png
182 KB, 442x341
>>46997714
>I have a sword
>I can cut or stab them with the sword
>Or I can hit them with the flat, hilt, pommel, whatever, using it as a bludgeoning weapon.

>I have a bow
>I can hit them with an arrow
>Or
>>
File: 025_2.jpg (47 KB, 550x373) Image search: [Google]
025_2.jpg
47 KB, 550x373
岩でも投げられたら終わりだろ切られてもそのまま上に載せれば重みでへばる
>>
>>46997671
> When someone does a nonlethal blow with a sword, it's not with the pointy or sharp bit.

There's already a level of abstraction there since by RAW you can retroactively switch your attack to the hilt or flat once you find out you would have killed them.
Sure, it would make sense if it was a decision you made beforehand and it did less damage as a result if you failed to knock them out, but you're pretty much using some quantum schroedinger's attack against a low HP enemy, that doesn't get decided until you know how hard you managed to hit them.

Swords don't work that way. Nobody is saying they do, it's already an abstraction of mechanics to give melee characters an easier time sparing enemies.
Somehow a designer decided that bows don't get to retcon reality in the same way.

>When ranged, no matter where on the body you target, you're firing a very lethal projectile.
A hit with the blunt side of a sword that does the same amount of damage as hitting with the sharp bit is no safer than hitting them with a very lethal club. The difference is where you aim. And hey, I guess archers aren't allowed to aim.

It just seems like a completely arbitrary design double standard.
>>
File: anus.jpg (91 KB, 200x350) Image search: [Google]
anus.jpg
91 KB, 200x350
>>46997776
>hitting someone in the stomach with a club is reasonably the same as hitting someone in the stomach with a fucking arrow

Also part of the abstraction of combat is that enemies are visibly more worn down as they get lower on HP, so several attacks would likely be made non-lethal before one finally knocks out the enemy.

Again, sorry you can't do EVERYTHING. Some party members are better at some things than other party members.
>>
>>46997772
Fuck off with your moon runes.
>>
>>46995581
You could be a Warlock without extra attack. Or, like, a Paladin / Sorcerer multiclass using Quicken with GFB.

You could have a familiar or Cleric in the party giving you advantage on your next attack roll meaning that a single big attack is better than two smaller ones

If you're an EK you can attack as a bonus action when you cast a cantrip

The target might be vulnerable to fire damage or resistant to your weapon's damage.
>>
>>46997836
Little late there, buddy.
>>
>>46997811
>Hitting someone in the stomach with a club that does the same amount of bone-breaking bludgeoning damage as an arrow would have localised done piercing damage is less lethal, just because.
Okay.

>so several attacks would likely be made non-lethal before one finally knocks out the enemy.
And somehow these nonlethal attacks do exactly the same amount of damage and have the same hit chance as lethal ones. So a melee character aiming to kill is no more dangerous than one who doesn't want to kill.

>Again, sorry you can't do EVERYTHING. Some party members are better at some things than other party members.
If this had mechanical benefits, it would make sense. But sparing enemies in battle is mostly a roleplaying choice, so all it does is encourage murderhoboing.

But there's another case for how this is an absurd double standard: melee spell attacks. Maybe melee spell attacks don't count as melee attacks and so this is completely wrong, but think about Shocking Grasp.
The damage of Shocking Grasp isn't because you hit them really hard, it's because you tap them and they get fried by lightning.
There is no 'safer' part of a shocking grasp to hit with. But because it's a melee attack, it somehow gets to pull its punches.

Same goes for Flails, which are essentially very short ranged projectiles on a stick. Why can you nonlethal with these but not with arrows?
>>
>>46997354
So, if you want to take him alive you tell your GM that, and if he gets dropped by a ranged attack your GM will put him on death saves so that you can possibly stabilise him? Seems obvious.
>>
File: flash.png (843 KB, 984x671) Image search: [Google]
flash.png
843 KB, 984x671
>>46997881
>implying a bludgeon to the gut does as much damage as having something sharp shoved into you

>not realizing part of the abstraction of combat is that most damage dealing hits are not direct blows, such swinging a pommel vs swinging a blade having a similar effect damage wise makes sense

>ignoring the mechanical benefits of ranged characters being able to engage at fucking range

The way your character does things is part of who your character is. The way your character does things, in a game, is represented through mechanics. So yes, roleplaying and mechanics are linked in a roleplaying GAME. Real shocker.

Spells, to my knowledge, cannot be used non-lethally.

Flails are bludgeoning, the type of weapon you turn your sword into by using a different part of it when you want to go non-lethal.

Is the abstraction perfect? Fuck no. But it makes pretty decent sense. You strike me as someone who killed an NPC because his DM wouldn't let him non-lethal with a fucking projectile spike and now you're bootyblasted because you can't do everything the melee characters can despite being able to do many things the melee characters can't.

Roleplaying doesn't involve playing every role.

>>46997924
This.
>>
>>46997924
Yeah, my GM agrees and I also agree for the game I'm GMing.

But I'm just making sure that there isn't an inherently good reason for the rule existing in the first place besides some bizarre double standard where melee weapons get favourable abstraction and ranged weapons get abstracted in the opposite direction.
>>
File: upset bird.jpg (41 KB, 361x500) Image search: [Google]
upset bird.jpg
41 KB, 361x500
>>46997938
>bizarre

With ranged weapons it's HARD to take someone down non-lethally

With melee weapons it's NOT THAT HARD to take someone down non-lethally

Both points just get moved to the conclusion they're closest to.

>bizarre
>>
>>46997931
>Spells, to my knowledge, cannot be used non-lethally.

>When an attacker reduces a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack, the attacker can knock the creature out.
Is the RAW.

I can't find a strict definition of a melee spell attack, but considering the above doesn't say 'melee weapon attack', I think it's more sensible to say that it does work by RAW until specific text says otherwise.
>>
>>46997981
Then I agree with you on that part, I think that was a definite oversight.
>>
>>46997953
And that's the entirety of what everyone has been saying boils down to.
The whole 'things have to be realistic over being balanced' attitude is why so many people think there's no problem with the caster-martial tier disparity in 3.5.
"Of course it makes sense that casters can warp reality while martials can just hit things, that's the difference between magic and mundane! If you wanted to be a person who can do things competently, realistically you should have just not been a martial at all and studied magic instead."

>>46997931
>If people challenge something that nobody else thinks is a problem, it has to be motivated by a grudge instead of proper reasoning

I can accept that damage can be an abstraction of how close a person is to losing rather than how much they've been injured. Makes sense.
So a club doing 8 damage to a 1hp character doesn't mean it breaks a bone, it could mean 'you've taken a light nonlethal knockout blow to the head, but on a metalevel you've conclusively lost.'
I can accept that too.

The problem is why they then have to turn around and say
'NOPE an 8 damage arrow can't be a nonlethal shot into the arm, it's always a full instant death.'
Sure, for realism I can accept it's more difficult with a projectile, maybe you take penalties or do less damage.
But the fact they flat out made it /impossible/ is just fucking over ranged characters for the purpose of simplification.

Yes, it can be fiat'd away, but that doesn't change the fact it's stupid RAW that most people don't care about just because it doesn't affect them.
>>
File: Scores.png (32 KB, 137x877) Image search: [Google]
Scores.png
32 KB, 137x877
>>46992180
I use the big for scores because there's more space to separate the base score from racial bonuses/ABIs
>>
File: woolie hole.png (84 KB, 740x328) Image search: [Google]
woolie hole.png
84 KB, 740x328
>>46998049
Most people would accept such a simple limitation and move on/ask their DM to let them do it anyway, instead of making like 12 posts about it.

"It can be fiat'd away" is the end of the conversation. There's no point arguing more over something that is set in stone RAW but can be easily fixed with no mechanical impact by the DM if the player simply asks. After the realization any continuation is arguing for the sake of arguing, a waste of yours and everyone else's time.
>>
>>46998101
Why in all the left-handed hells would you divide it like that? Do you ever intend to stop being whatever race?
>>
>>46998108
Yeah, that's why I kind of stopped after that.
I really wanted to see if there was any good argument that could have convinced me otherwise, but I guess people are happy to take the simple explanation that doesn't quite hold water because it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
And that's not a bad thing, nobody should to be full autistic about everything, but it just wasn't the sort of reasoning I was looking for.

Thanks for listening anyway.
>>
>>46998123

Well, Reincarnation IS a spell
>>
>>46998123
I can more easily tell the source of my stats when the modifiers are listed. I make a lot of character concepts and actually do change races if another would be more appropriate for the game.
It's also easier for me/the DM to double check if the base scores are legit.
I can also use the space to list alternate scores produced by stuff like belts of giant strength
And my DMs let us retrain feats/ABIs, so again the separation is useful.

Besides, if you have the space to, why not?
>>
I didn't see a 4E thread anywhere, so I think this is the best place to ask.

Is there a 4E trove, like the mega in the first link? I remember reading the PHB for it back in the day but never got more than that, and wouldn't mind bridging the gap from 3.5 to 5.
>>
Rather than coming up with a whole list of exotic weapons for people to pick and choose from, would this work as a feat?

Exotic Weapon Training

You have trained to become proficient in an unusual type of weapon. Choose any martial weapon. You are proficient in a variant of that weapon that either has one less weapon property or an additional weapon property of your choice.

There's probably some variants that would get weird or OP, but it's simpler than bloating the rules with more weapons from various splats.
>>
>>46999830
I don't see why exotic weapons can't just be blended into regular martial ones. Just balance their features.
>>
So I rolled stats, and got this array:
Str: 17
Dex: 15
Con: 18
Int: 6
Wis: 7
Cha: 11

I am definitely making a fighter of some kind. But what would make the most sense? A warrior or barbarian? And what race would be fun to use for it?
>>
>>46999924
You can get a natural 16 ac as barb. Either works really. Just go STR, get HWM, and hit things till they die.
>>
I'm going to have a fight inside a dream in my upcoming session. I'm going to be giving some hugely upscaled and bizarre abilities to my players. Any ideas on how best to make their new capabilities (like the ability to change the form/properties of a weapon at will) known to them from a gameplay point of view?

Any other weird surreal dream ideas also appreciated. I'm going for a somewhat whimsical Freddy Krueger kind of thing. It's a nightmare but not necessarily horror-game scary.
>>
>>46999830
I wouldn't mind a UA with some extra mundane equipment and variant options regarding weapons and armor. I know some people don't like that the paladin and ranger are limited in their fighting style options but I'd be up for the possibility of exclusive weapon options to widen the gap. The Weapon Master feat is pretty much useless (would anyone take it even if it gave proficiency to all simple/martial weapons?) and specialty weapons that only a few classes/races get proficiency might just make it, or the downtime training rules, a worthwhile option for a character.
>>
>>46998558
Any info on this? I really liked how I got all of 5E in like 5 clicks, don't want to crawl through whatever torrent for half-complete 4E.
>>
>>47000478
Sorry man, I'm sure there used to be one, but it's not like there's a /4eg/ around to check the op anymore.
Maybe try searching the archive?
>>
So, my game has four common races available to PCs: Goliath, Dwarf, Halfling, and Human. I'm playing it off that Humans have the blood of the other three intermingled with their own because I'm an unoriginal shit and refuse to apologize for that fact, and that while half-humans can exist they're mechanically one parent race or the other, with offspring choosing the dominant race for mechanics in the case of "I'm one thirty-sixth Cherokee" circumstances.

I was thinking to give humans a little more mechanical flair (and to honestly make them feel a little less underwhelming) of giving them subraces which reflect their mixed blood, giving them a watered down version of an ability from one of their ancestor races. What do you guys think? Which Goliath, Dwarf, or Halfling ability would be best translated over, and should they be altered for humans or left as-is?
>>
Is Scout Fighter the skillmonkiest?
>>
>>47000801
It's the skillmonkiest fighter, but I don't know if it'd really be the skillmonkiest class.
>>
>>47000700
Looks like there isn't much in the way of caster-friendly races, fine if you're running a low-magic martial-only kind of game but if not maybe it would be worth putting humans in that role instead of going with the usual jack-of-all-trades route.
>>
>>47000821
>2 skills from background
>2 from fighter
>3 from scout
That's, without multiclass or feats, the most skills you can get. Pick Half elf and you get 9 skills
>>
>>47000829
That's a good point. Humans are supposed to largely be in control around this place because they're adept magic users in the setting too, so that works.

How would you suggest I make humans the go-to "good at wizard" race? As an immediate thought I imagine +2 to either Int Wis or Cha, +1 to another of those, Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster as a bonus feat and maybe something that lets them treat their level as 1 higher for the purpose of determining the effectiveness of cantrips?
>>
File: Character_01raiden.png (199 KB, 496x669) Image search: [Google]
Character_01raiden.png
199 KB, 496x669
Revenant barbarian here I come
>>
How about this
>+2 to Wis, +1 to Dex
>Darkvision
>Resistance to necrotic
>Proficiency in Survival and Perception
>Bloodthirst, capped at a Null/Cha bonus, min 1

Better? At least fits the predators/hunters lore of vampires in Zendikar
>>
>party has a tiefling and dragonborn

thanks 4e
>>
>>47000898
If the +1 went to a physical stat it could represent which of the other races the particular human favors. Maybe go with Magic Initiate since Ritual Caster has an ability score requirement and MI doesn't and most(all?) full casters can ritual cast anyways. I don't think you'd need to make anything up for them, and extra skill of their choice would probably be enough at that point.
That would put them 1 ability score ahead of the variant human, but they'd be locked in with the feat choice and be limited in where they can assign their stat bonuses, which might even it out?
>>
>>47000844
Being a fan of the Rogue class, I find myself disliking this intensely.
>>
>>47001157
>4e invented tieflings and dragonborns
Hi millenial
>>
>>47001225
4E DID make them standard PC options, though. Before that they were always nonstandard.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.