[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to create superheroes/demigods on REIGN? And
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: top.jpg (83 KB, 650x330) Image search: [Google]
top.jpg
83 KB, 650x330
Is it possible to create superheroes/demigods on REIGN?

And if yes, would it better be done with Esoteric Techniques or with Magic, making it related with Attunements?
>>
File: nemesis.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
nemesis.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43592301

Answer to first question is "Yes".

You can cobble together a "super-human" character using pure stats, but I don't think REIGN goes into the rules for that sort of stuff... ah yes, Nemesis has the rules for dice pools "larger than 10", basically once a character gets a Dice Pool that would be larger than 10 (were it not for the 10 die limit on all rolled dice pools, obviously) then the fluff for what's being done increases in a measured way.

Note that that's on top of using Esoteric Techniques and/or Magics and Attunements.

What's interesting about Reign is that you can fluff gods (and thus demigods) in a very unique way by building a god and their religion as a company with "divine magic spells" and buffs divine casters get from being members being stat'd up as "company assets" - making a demigod in that form (though the mention of "superheroes" means this probably isn't that relevent) you basically give the character access to the more "martial" "divine powers", like self buffs to strength or abilities to buff skills in the god/religion's general domain so many times per day etc...
>>
Wild Talents, anon. Look it up.
>>
>>43593545

I might be dense, but I do not see much potential with going over 10 for a superpowered feel other than when facing puny mortals.

I do like that idea for the Gods to operate on the Company level; specially if one consider the supplement they released on how to handle fights between Companies and mythic invulnerable creatures.
>>
>>43592301
Tack on some of the Wild Talents powers.

Make the PCs acknowledge the game will take on different timbre than a 'normal' REIGN game.

Build a boutique of powers based off of Wild Talents, and patch them accordingly into the world.

(This might need a separate DIVINE/SUPER XP, since RAW Wild Talents powers cost way more to maintain Wild Talents balance. Normal XP can become DIVINE XP, but not the other way 'round - remind the players that the 'Normal' world has a lot of special weight, e.g. building or commanding a Company is more world-spanning than being able to FALCON PAWNCH the BBEG)

Then introduce these to the PCs as gifts from the gods, or something Special and Above This World (I really like the the REIGN conceit that special powers become socialized into a society's self-concept and ordinary life, and that magic ain't the "I WIN" button). PCs buy them as Miracles, to use the WT term.

With a bit of tweaking, it'll work.

I wanted to do a REIGN game that would turn into an Exalted-esque "You are a god-king" route, and I thought this would be the way to try it. Just remember: REIGN is a setting where the PCs are the focus, but they're not the axis on which the world revolves. Supers games tend to work in the opposite directions. The two can meet, but it takes an extra effort.
>>
>>43593884
>I wanted to do a REIGN game that would turn into an Exalted-esque "You are a god-king" route

You read me like a book anon. That is my end goal.
>>
>>43593706
Don't really break the 10d rule unless a rule calls for it. It becomes very boring very quickly when one just buys another d and the pool becomes an auto-success.

Wild Talents core does have mook rules, and IIRC the Progenitor expansion also handles Company-like sturctures, though they read more as "Make Wild Talents REIGN-like" rather than "Make REIGN Wild Talents-like". Still, plenty of advice to be gleaned and digested in delicious ways.

>>43592301
If you go for straight REIGN rules, here's my take

I like the idea of an Attunement that one must complete in order to master the divine power.

Here's a though: make some gods have their thematic opposites: the Gods of Light & Darkness, Fire & Water, etc. Make it so that these paths of Divinity are something one doens't just get ab initio, but which one must pursue. Sure, you may be a grandkid of the Fire-God, but unless you embrace the path laid out for you by, you're just gonna have the prestige of a divine parent and maybe a fascination of their domain.

Players try to pursue their parent's path, and make the Attunement check in a sacred ritual of some kind. If they success, yay - normal attunement of their chosen pather. If they fail: they gain the Flawed attunement OF THE OPPOSING PATH. You pledge to serve T'chosa, Mother of Shadows, but fail the attunement ritual of that brand of shadow-magic? You instead gain the flawed attunement of the Sun god with the cool Healing powers.

Now there's some inherent conflict in PCs, they can access cool powers, and it gives some neat fodder for their society, too.
>>
>>43593959
There is also ORExalted, but it's still in beta and (IMO) still assumes too much familiarity with Exalted AND ORE games to spring on newbies.

I like some of what they did, but it feels like it's trying too hard to emulate Exalted in ORE and make a cohesive ruleset for each splat - you might as well run Exalted 2.5 or 3E ratehr than rebuild your own ruleset.

I'd rather take the themes of Exalted and put them into REIGN-with-Wild Talents hacks, and cluster the powers by theme of Exalt type and Caste/Aspect, but that's just me.

That, and I have a boner for building Wild Talents powers. It's overly complicated at times, but I love the "you can make a crunchy but fair power" (maybe not balanced, but fair) with the toolkit.
>>
File: Blood_of_the_Gods_(6127197).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Blood_of_the_Gods_(6127197).pdf
1 B, 486x500
Check this out anon, it's rules for making REIGN characters in mythological ancient Greece, including god-like powers (aka a suite of premade powers out of Wild Talents).
>>
>>43592301
Use Wild Talents instead

http://www.mediafire.com/?lzao7e5s85xuqa1
>>
>>43595717

Homeric heroes would be a good fit, but that seems to be for Wild Talents.

>>43596189

Also, thanks for this anon.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.