[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>His setting has gnome/halflings >They have their own realm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 11
File: Lodoss-tou.Senki.full.1542458[1].jpg (314 KB, 1038x1393) Image search: [Google]
Lodoss-tou.Senki.full.1542458[1].jpg
314 KB, 1038x1393
>His setting has gnome/halflings
>They have their own realm

How do you justify this, /tg/? I know that every fantasy setting is a Tolkien rip-off by this point, but offer a serious justification for this. Elves have their homeland because depending on the setting they're adapt at magic, masterful bowmen and/or a superhuman master race more than able to defend their lands against outsiders. Dwarves are short, but stocky and sturdy more than able to drive an axe or pick into things many times larger than they are. As for us humans, we've been committing genocide on eachother since the dawn of our species for sport and have become pretty fucking good at eradicating things we don't like. What about gnomes and halflings, who are in no way known to be adapt with a certain weapon (other than throwing things, and that's a sissy tactic you use when running away from something big and scary) and obviously non-threatening. How are they going to defend the shire? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to exist as a minority in the settlements of stronger civilized races? Their wide spread among all the races could even make them excellent as merchants (lots of connections) or diplomats (they have no racial interests, allowing them to appear neutral, a safe option for all other races).
>>
>>43587259
>The go-to mode of every race in his setting are genocidal conquerors

LaughingElves.jpg
>>
File: 1403909325100.gif (2 MB, 1067x720) Image search: [Google]
1403909325100.gif
2 MB, 1067x720
>>43587270
Of course not everyone is a genocidal conqueror, but peace is maintained by a certain balance of power: the belief that there is more to be gained through peace than war. A situation where war is favorable over peace is difficult to imagine when your potential enemy/trade partner/ally literally cannot defend themselves. You'd lose what, two or three guys at best when marching into a gnome village? Extremely favorable odds as far as war is concerned.
>>
Halflings live in placid villages in remote places far from the sight of man since the genocides.

Those who travel too close to a Halfling shire are always turned back, scared off or mysteriously disappear, often before they even know how close they were to finding the village. A human who actually manages to stumble across a halfling shire finds a oldly calculated show of quaint, merry little hill folk, friendly and welcoming. They will be very offended if you refuse their hospitality and seem exceedingly polite and gracious until you finally choke to death on their poisoned honey wine.

No gnomes, because they don't fill in any mental space that's particularly unique compared to dwarfs or goblins or halflings. Goblins are already tinkerers, and halflings have got the small annoying schtick down pat.
>>
>>43587259
Gnomes, little fey fuckers that they are, are scary good at magic that involves enchanting the mind or creating illusions. Few who are not wanted in their lands ever find them (either being subtly directed away from their lands or even standing right in their midst and never knowing), and those who are graciously invited and make an unreasonable nuisance of themselves quickly find themselves outside and having forgotten the way.
>>
>>43587281
>What is morals
>What is conveniency
>>
Well OP, gnomes and halfings are very small and tend to live at least semi-underground. Its hard to exterminate every last one of them when you have trouble moving in and out of their houses and if their settlements have narrow streets its even worse. Furthermore both races are intelligent and capable of assembling easy to use and effective weapons like crossbows and sniping at invaders from hard to reach and fortified positions.

So while halflings and gnomes aren't gonna rule the world, its not inconceivable they couldn't carve a small kingdom or city out of the wilderness and hold it.
>>
Because hobbits will fuck you up. They have the one of the greatest advantages available to a species. Cohesion. Inter-halfling conflict is rare, and the halfling realm is organized beyond belief. Most monarchies in the world are feudal, even the elves use such modes of production.

Not the hobbits. The hobbits have capitalism. The hobbits have industry. The hobbits have chains of command. The hobbits have master thieves and powerful wizards and political connections with other kingdoms and they will fuck you if you try and fuck them off because hobbits are the fucking Ants from Bugs Life.
>>
>>43587296
Without gnomes then who would buy our pickles?
>>
>>43587298
>Morals
>In politics
Sure thing m8
>>
>>43587259
If we go by Tolkien, halflings are both very tough, as well as good at vanishing. If you try to stamp them out, you get fantasy Vietnam.
>>
>>43587312
>Not knowing that shit will happen if you're not moral.
>>
>>43587281
You don't kill the means of production. If you've got a weak, prosperous neighbour you ask for tribute in exchange for protection, or tribute in exchange for not destroying them.
You don't just go in and murder them, that's killing the golden goose.
>>
>>43587281
>what is gnome gigantic mechanical laser-spiders

what they're inventors right

historically inventors have been pretty good at war
>>
>>43587323
I suddenly had this image of slanty-eyed hobbits in the jungle eating rice and wearing those bamboo conical hats.
>>
>>43587259
So, you propose to make them jews? You know, little hairy men with a knack for stealing and unfair combat?
And for a moment I thought you were talking about fantasy world.
>>
Since gnomes are really good at magic/machines/both everyone that tries to conquer them ends up facing giant mechanical terrors.

And you will be surprised how dangerous store throwing can be. Not to mention that they probably figured out how to build small crossbows at some point.

Or you could really make them just settlers in cities of other races. Like Sapkowski did.
>>
The only things called gnomes in my setting are sort of the closest thing to the evolutionary ancestor of dwarves, halflings, and goblins. While they are in general the closest, they have become horribly corrupt monsters imbued with earth and wild magic. They have their own realm because everyone else's opinion of that area and the caves within is a general, fuck that place.

Halflings though are mostly gypsies or live in small communities inside human or dwarven kingdoms, though a surprising number of halflings live as slaves within elven kingdoms.
>>
In my DM's setting the gnomes are a steppe people who ride giant mastiffs. No one's managed to wipe them out, and they're actually fairly powerful. Midget Mongols.
>>
In one setting my halflings are actually related to humans via a caste system that caused a schism a long ass time ago. My gnomes are the result of fey date raping a bunch of svirfneblin. Gnomes get their own place by being generally keeping pacts with fey and the halflings make up the merchants and nobility of the human lands through wit and viciousness in a pinch.
>>
>>43587348
>So, you propose to make them jews?
Well, actuall-
>You know, little hairy men with a knack for stealing and unfair combat?
Nevermind
>>
>>43587348
>little hairy men with a knack for stealing and unfair combat
That's already fulfilled by hobbits.
>>
They're protected by their gods

and this is fantasy so gods are real

That said man fuck gnomes. Worst fantasy race, not even true tolkien lore either. Snuck on. Even shit like snowflake planetouched races are better.
>>
>>43587387
I know, its just pathetic when people sneak things in just because of their minority personal preference. Why once my Uncle Scratchy insisted on selling Radishes at my Turnip stand, reasoning they were close enough. I tried telling him that Radishes were no good mashed or as a beer but he wouldn't listen and to do this day the local fair has some fool accidentally drink radish beer by mistake. Throws off the whole festivity.
>>
>>43587348
Anon, I'm pretty sure those are Italians.
>>
They are protected by the king/Lord of the land by paying taxes. Hence if you fuck with them, you fuck with the money of the ruler. We know which way that usually goes
>>
>>43587259
Halflings in my setting are client race of dwarves.
Dwarves offer border protection, heavy industry and mineral resources.
Halfling offer surface produce, culture and stealth commandos.
>>
>>43587521
>culture
Would you say the dwarves are being... culturally enriched?
>>
>>43587259
The Gnomes in my setting fled to the moon.
>>
>>43587371
Glad you liked it.
But just to make my previous post complete.

>His setting has gnome/halflings
See Israel.
>>
File: Gnome.jpg (41 KB, 466x489) Image search: [Google]
Gnome.jpg
41 KB, 466x489
>>43587387

>Worst fantasy race, not even true tolkien lore either.

What about the petty dwarves? They aren't exactly gnomes but they are rather close.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Petty-dwarves

Also...

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Gnomes

>The term Gnomes or Noldoli was briefly used in J.R.R. Tolkien's early work The Book of Lost Tales to describe the race of Elves that would become the Noldor.

I personally prefer to use the word "gnomes" as a proper name for the earth elementals. Pic related.
>>
>>43587259
In my setting, gnomes are a species of alien that crashed on the planet ages ago and have an instinctive knowledge of the sciences.
They built the warforged to fight their wars for them.
>>
>>43587259
>gnome/halflings
My little people analogue are based on west africa and its savannas-they're little brown pygmies with cities of gold. Due to their diminutive stature and extensive tribal networking, they rely on sneaky guerrilla tactics in the Parra grass, a ten-foot-tall grass which grows in thick tussocks. Their survival skills come from where the young spend three years out of the city off learning how to 'be a man' or in a nunnery learning the Womens Mysteries. They make extensive use of their local wildlife and produce everything from meat, hides and ivory currency to beasts of war and deadly blowdart toxins through the local biodiversity. They don't do stand up fights, they see them as idiotic, and would much rather slit your throat in your sleep or poison you with a dart from thirty paces and behind two trees.
>>
>>43587259
I like my 4e, with gypsy halflings and fae gnomes trolling the whole Feywild.
>>
>>43587259
1. Strategic location on the intersection of the powerful big-folk kingdoms. After few centuries of war over the Halfling realm, when not one power could hold the realm for any substantial amount of time, big boys kind of came out with a treaty to proclaim it a self governed neutral territory.
2. Protected by giants because socute.
>>
>>43587348
>Jews
You mean Greeks?
>>
>>43590053
>Greeks
>Pay denbts
They're anti-Jews.
>>
>>43587615
They like halfling music, stories and painting. Also crafts, like toys, even if these tend to not be as solid and durable as true dwarven work.
>>
>>43590391
Has no one else noticed how apparently all the good stuff ever is dwarven work?
>>
>>43590495
Its not, the dwarves are just much better at branding.
>>
>>43587259
I'm pretty sure gnomes make the best wizards and halflings are usually confined to their shires and nomadic tribes.
>>
Is "Gnomes are enlightened tinkerers and mechanics, able to finish designs for great works of invention and engineering in the time it would take their tallfolk peers to come up with the idea" too generic? I always liked the contrast of their intellectual capacity and their stature as a form of balance and opportunity for roleplay.

But I don't want to be that asshole that just rips stuff they likes from pop culture without so much as an original thought.
>>
They are barbarians inhabiting horrifying forests alongside their rivals, the half giants. No one wants to face the dangers of their homeland, so leave them be, and let them enjoy the turmoil they call peace.
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 800x656) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 800x656
>>43587259
>>43587259
Because they are fantasy Switzerland with tunnels everywhere. Fighting them is fighting the Vietcong. They are neutral with good food but no major crops, and so use their neutrality and short stacks to make people forget they are there or expose secrets.

Also, waifus.
>>
>>43587259
Halflings/hobbits are quick, sneaky and well organized, plus their settlements are well hidden. Their warstyle would be not so much direct confrontation but guerilla warfare. So while a invading force would at some point or the other win the war, the question is will it even add up to wage it? If you catch them, you kill em, but first you have to catch them. As far as gnomes go, well mate, master illusionists and tinkers. You are fighting all sorts of golems, your citys are bombed by suicide golem-bombers, and you have no idea where you are or what is going on because there are illusions everywhere. Waging ware with the gnomes is suicide
>>
>>43587259
I have most Gnomes living in mountain passes and near the Dwarven holds, where the Dwarves build utilitarian tools and weapons, the Gnomes will then add artistry to them, and make the more intricate warmachines and siege weapons the Dwarves use in battle.

Halflings just live in places that don't have any strategic or mercantile use; sure their lands produce a steady crop but its nothing grand, and most Halfling communities are pretty self-sufficient. There's some trade between fishing villages and villages that are further inland but that's about it.
>>
File: Eternal neutrality.png (206 KB, 318x627) Image search: [Google]
Eternal neutrality.png
206 KB, 318x627
>>43592140
>Because they are fantasy Switzerland
That doesn't actually answer the question, considering Switzerland more or less ended up under French protection, making France the chief employer of their mercenaries until the French Revolution.

It's not so much that they were impossible to invade (they were succesfully invaded numerous times) as much as they more or less sided with their strongest neighbor without needing to get actively involved in any future warfare.

If you execute it that way, a halfling "Switzerland" makes sense.
>>
>>43592276

I've never liked the idea of gnomes as illusionists and tinkerers. The D&D style of gnomes has always bothered me. They just seem so... superfluous.

I'm disappointed that they never focus on how Gnomes hate Giants and Kobolds so much. I'd love to see more militaristic Gnomes, with hunting parties going after Giants, Ogres, and Trolls.
>>
>>43593205
>I'd love to see more militaristic Gnomes, with hunting parties going after Giants, Ogres, and Trolls.
You mean dwarves? Funny, considering you just mentioned how superfluous they are.

Why don't they just cut out gnomes and flesh out halflings more? Other than footwear they're interchangeable anyway, and even that part only exists because Tolkien did it.
>>
>>43593350
problem is that the minute you chance even the slightest bit about dwarves folks get significantly upset
imagine having dwarves that don't consider beards to be important
>>
File: 1438586233899.jpg (121 KB, 462x925) Image search: [Google]
1438586233899.jpg
121 KB, 462x925
>>43593394

Dwarves are clearly some pan-dimensional being that's constant through all planes and realities - maybe it's like the Hist from Morrowind where if a gnome or halfling comes into contact with Plump Helmet sap they become Changed and Dwarven.
>>
>>43593205
But dwarfs (and elfs) are the militaristic and conservative fanatics annon. Gnomes are fragile, if you punch them they brake. I love them because they are one of the few races that actually THINK. "Och other races are stronger, quicker and more adept at destructive aspects of magic? Why wont we specialize in something that will make work and survival easier". The whole idea of gnomes (from my perspective) is showing how the little guy can get ahead by thinking and using a few simple tricks. Let the dwarfs have their campaigns and elf have their intrigue. Let the humans amass armies and battle the orcks. The gnomes wont be listening because they are going to try to make a 5 meter high golem that dispenses hot cholcet and cold martini, while being equipped with a magical blade and exploding in a cloud of colorful smoke and sparkles. Gnomes are they only race are whacky and make it work.
>>
>>43587259
I normally do sapient creatures as planer refugees. I pick one to be the original race like humans or dwarves or dragons and everyone else is an invasive species. Depending on how long they've been there or how many of them there are determines their kingdom size and power.
>>
>>43587259
Didn't we have a big thread about vietkong halflings and their tunnel/stealth guerilla warfare tactics last week?

Anyone can conquer the halflings, but good luck holding the land or even exterminating the fungus-eating gopher bastards. I hope you like tunnels busting up our your carriage trains, poisoned everything, groups of children playing that suddenly spring into action and ambush your men while they grab some water from the streams, and chasing the bastards to a hill where they just vanished, only to harass your guards later that night, or for you to wake up and find your food stores were broken into and looted.

No sleep, no safety no matter how well you build your barricades. No hilly mediocre grassland is worth that hassle. I mean, what could they even have that would make conquest worth it besides land they specifically pick to be unnoteworthy and not often visited in the first place?

Imagine trying to sell your people on an occupation of worthless hill land where your only successes are bringing back adorable, tiny, helpless looking creatures as slaves. As soon as they bust out of their cages they'll just infest your cities anyway and hide in all the damn crawlspaces and sewers like rats. Except they're smart rats that are making it their mission to fuck all your shit up.

They won't bring down your empire or anything like that. They'll just make your life hell and cause delays and problems all over the place until your neighbours start to take advantage of the situation and become an actual threat. If the halflings can cause so many problems, surely the orcs can manage to start up raiding again, or the humans can force a military build-up race that drains your treasury, or the dwarves can offer you some supplies at extortionist prices after your year-end quotas came up short, etc.

And all because you had to be a big man and invade a piece of shit shire with little to no value in the middle of buttfuck nowhere. Now you look like a weak bully
>>
>>43593770
up, dont fuck with the munchkins
>>
>>43587259
Gnomes were the servator race for Elves, and when the Elves And every other tall race died out ages ago, the Gnomes were left to inherit their master's empty halls in the forest. Halflings, on the other hand, were always free folk and live in relative seclusion and peace.They were literally overlooked by the apocalypse
>>
>>43587259
My halflings/gnomes are humans/elves (respectively) that just happen to live in an area where magical imbalances cause people to grow shorter.

They do, however, tend to be aligned with another kingdom
>>
File: 1317248497270.jpg (50 KB, 400x651) Image search: [Google]
1317248497270.jpg
50 KB, 400x651
>>43587259
but that's exactly how I write Gnomes and Halflings OP. Sounds pretty logical to me. Maybe there are a few homogeneous pockets around but I'd say they excel at adapting themselves to their social surroundings.
>>
>>43587259
Because being incredibly talented at magic (more so then elves) and being the sneakiest bastards isn't a viable survival strategy. Can you imagine if they joined together with the Dwarves? Magical stealth tunnels into everywhere. Put the Eldar webway to shame.
>>
They have their own realms because no-one wants to live next door to gross malformed midgets or fatass stoners.
>>
>>43592894
Swissaboos don't like being reminded Switzerland's continued existence up to Vienna came down to "because France wills it." Or for that matter their continued 19th century existence because of complex alliance systems guaranteeing their neutrality.
>>
>>43587259
>The halfling kingdoms and the gnome tribes are buffer states between the powerful human empire and the elven kingdoms
>>
>>43596155
Yugoslavia was a buffer state between Europe, USSR and the Middle East. Look how well that went the moment someone upset the balance.
>>
>>43592894
>>43596024

OP said the halflings and gnomes had their own own country not that they had never been beaten. Couldn't they have been their own country but won it back when the chance arose? Or they are facing what the Swiss did against the French?
>>
>>43587259
I made Halfings the only inheritors of ancient technology in my science fantasy setting, they rule the hilly region of Half-Home where none dare to tread. They are constantly fighting themselves and killing and cooking anything they kills. Oh yeah and they fight from mech.
Gnomes are the only race to have reached actually technological advancement on their own. They control no large swaths of territory and are generally content to stay in their vast tunnel cities that stretch far and wide across the great desert. Because of the complacency brought on by technology they've grown bored and immoral, the rich oligarchs of these great cities are willing to purchase slaves and host great blood sports. So those Gnomes living in the crushing poverty of the not!cyberpunk tunnel cities set out on ventures into the desert and neighboring countries seeking slaves and great fortune. You'll almost never see the same slaver twice, once they've made their money and got some of their own slaves they buy a home and a workshop, maybe even bet on blood sports.
It's how I keep my players from playing short races in my campaign, making them villain races meant only to be played in specific circumstances. Like a cyberpunk-ish game set in the tunnel cities where my players don't even know it's actually the setting they had previously been casting spells and killing dragons.
>>
>>43597014
The problem is that no human government is capable of long-term planning. Yugoslavia got scrapped and bits absorbed into NATO the moment the Warsaw Pact crumbled, but now Putin's Russia is on the prowl again Ukraine had to be fucked up and ripped in half in order to make a new buffer. When Russia keels over again, Ukraine is going to get bloodily rearranged like the Balkans were then gobbled up by EU. Then when Russia rises again, they'll have to produce a new buffer, because all of Europe and USA combined didn't have enough working brain cells to just keep the original buffer state propped-up, just in case. The same will happen here; gnomes and halflings are going to get conquered the second someone thinks they are no longer needed as an independent international entity.
>>
>>43596903
>gnomes and halflings are slavs
Sounds about right.
>>
>>43599013
Halfling are welsh/Irish though.
>>
>>43587259

>How are they going to defend the shire?

What is the Battle of Bywater?

Sure if 10,000 orcs came marching in on the shire the hobbits would be fucked.

But to get to the shire they must first pass though a lot of lands they do not control.

Yes straglers can make it through but thats what the rangers take care of.
>>
>>43599100
I'd rather like to think of them as Serbs and gnomes are Croats and they spend all their time fighting and killing each other in their forests and hills that no one else wants to really wander in because it's full of squatting little shits on both sides. No outsider is really sure which is which or why they're fighting. Even the gnomes and halflings don't know why they're fighting anymore other than "fuck those guys."
>>
>>43599671
Well in that case that means halflings are objectively superior to gnomes
>>
File: dwarvern work.jpg (88 KB, 693x448) Image search: [Google]
dwarvern work.jpg
88 KB, 693x448
>>43590495
>>
>>43601253
That comic was too good for this world.
>>
I hate gnomes and will never use them, but Halflings have this super macho caravan culture and will line up the wagons with small cannon and flails like their name was Jan Zizka. They also have a rep as assassins.
>>
>>43590053
>>43590325
Greeks don't actually exist any more, they are just half-turks pretending to be Greeks.
>>
>>43587620
Two questions.

1.) Why did they flee to the moon?

2.) Did they later become the villains of your campaign?
>>
>>43587259
So a Wizard is powerful because of knowledge, right? And thus Elves make the best Wizards because they have longer lives to accrue more knowledge, right?

Well standard D&D gnomes live over three centuries, which is longer then even dwarves live and around the age of elves in total lifespan. Maybe a Gnomish Wizard is short, but he's had centuries more study time and casting experience then any human Wizard, and best of all manages to completely surprise you with it simply because he's short and you don't expect anything.
>>
>>43601349
What comic is this?
>>
>>43587296
so, uh
What happens if you are immune to poison and had a bit of regeneration?
Do you just visit the hobbit shire twice a month for good hospitality and friendly folk, while constantly being poisoned and having razors placed into your food?
>>
>>43587259
>other than throwing things, and that's a sissy tactic you use when running away from something big and scary
Someone never got to witness the glory of a well specced fighter In a nonshit edition with a massive amount of darts before.
>>
>not having halflings being patrons of the arts
>not having gnomes being patrons of the sciences

With humans/elves/dwarves going off to wage Wars every 3 hours, halflings and hobbits are the custodians of society. They primarily live among humans and technically run the fabric of society.
>>
File: 1400650131088[2].png (117 KB, 372x351) Image search: [Google]
1400650131088[2].png
117 KB, 372x351
>>43603143
>With humans/elves/dwarves going off to wage Wars every 3 hours, halflings and hobbits are the custodians of society.
I forgot his name, but I think there was a historian who famously said that "For a century Italy knew nothing but war and chaos and it gave us Da Vinci and the Renaissance. Switzerland has known peace and stability for 500 years and it gave us the Kekoo clock".

Can't speak for art per se, but science is to a very large degree driven by warfare and the need to surpass the enemy. Just imagine what leaps in science the world could make if Europe decided to have one more all-out war for old time's sake.
>>
>>43605253
>Kekoo
Oh come on, I can't even mention the fucking bird without it being filtered. What about family or famicon?

baka desu senpai
>>
>>43587259
Why does it need to be justified?
>>
>>43605253
Think it was one of Hitchcock's movies. It was a villain saying it.
>>
>>43605318
Wow. I feel really fucking stupid now. Geez, that'll teach me to quotemine without doublechecking.

Thanks, I guess. I'll stop posting and start feeling ashamed now.
>>
>>43605329
If it helps, I can't remember the movie's name either. Just that it was on TCM at some point.
>>
File: Jan.jpg (21 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Jan.jpg
21 KB, 210x330
>>43587426
>"I think we make a fine partnership, like Drizzt and Wulfgar, Elminster and Volo. Heh, we should go into the mobile vegetable peddling business together!"

The best gnome ever.
>>
>>43587259
>How are they going to defend the shire?
OP didn't read the books

RIP Sharkey
>>
>>43605421
Oh and I forgot about the Rangers, too. They protect the Shire also, or did before the Fellowship was formed
>>
>>43587259
I've always liked gnomes as, well, gnomadic types.
>>
>>43587323
holy shit please yes
>>
Dude, africans have their own countries in real life
>>
>>43605253
>I forgot his name, but I think there was a historian who famously said that "For a century Italy knew nothing but war and chaos and it gave us Da Vinci and the Renaissance. Switzerland has known peace and stability for 500 years and it gave us the Kekoo clock".

Orson Wells said that in The Third Man.
>>
>>43605272

To be fair the name comes from the term that's banned - kekoos lay their eggs in other birds nests so that the other birds raise them as their own.
>>
>>43605421
>RIP Sharkey
Is this the new "Fëanor did nothing wrong"?
>>
>>43587259
Explain Nauru.

Or Turks n' Caicos.

Remoteness is a defense. A very good one.
>>
>>43587259
If we go the way most D&D settings go, Halflings get by by being so damn likable that they make great neighbors, serfs, citizens or anything to most civilized races. If they get pushed around? They can go full guerilla to retaliate and pack up to go live with the next best neighbor who'll gladly have them.

Gnomes live underground and their natural talent for illusions to hide their settlements and major cities. Navigating and fighting in underground tunnels is already hard as fuck, add illusions hampering you and it's downright impossible.
>>
>>43608256
And the basques
>>
>>43587259
The answer to why Tolkien's hobbits were not subjugated is simply that there was nothing to subjugate them nearby. At the time LotR takes place, pretty much the only societies in Middle-Earth that rule more than just a single city are Rohan, Gondor, and Sauron's empire, and they're all on the other side of the Misty Mountains.
>>
>>43587297
Illusion? Enchantment? Magic proficiency as a race in general? Forget about self-defence, gnomes have probably got a chokehold on the espionage trade in whatever campaign setting you could care to name.
Frankly, the reason Gnomes don't get wiped out is probably because they're the secret instigators of most wars in their region, thus keeping other races too exhausted in resources and spirit to do anything but ask for their help.
TLDR Gnomish Illuminati
>>
>>43587312
>>43587324
Well by "morals" we of course are referring to the very public shows of ostensibly morally motivated policy/rhetoric for the sake of good optics, for the sake of reelection/consolidation of constituency.
But if politicians have sufficient pressure from their constituents (for which America is a terrible example of this mechanism) then this can have a similar effect to an actual, morally motivated politician.
Monarchs can play too, and while the game is safer (no need for election optics), the stakes are generally higher (revolution.)
>>
>>43608969
It's kinda funny, but I once heard someone complain about Middle-Earth's technology being stagnant for the 3000-odd years of it's timeline, and I pointed out that actually their technology has REGRESSED after an apocalyptic war took out 40% of the continent and well over half of the population.
>>
>>43605376
Wasn't he not nearly as crazy and scatterbrained as he pretended to be?
He just liked weirding people out with his stories and bizarre behavior.
>>
>>43602443
The IDW D&D comic book.
Lasted only like 11 issues or something, but it managed to LEGITIMATELY capture D&D, as opposed to most D&D comics and stories where they capture how D&D theoretically is.

The heroes are competent and take their situation seriously, but they talk like normal people and make a lot of ridiculous jokes that PC's do.
And of their plans are the sort of REALLY terrible spur of the moment plans PC's tend to come up with.
>>
>Halflings

Breadbasket states, Nobody can outfarm Halflings, and killing them would be like killing your own countries, the Northern Dwarven States especially.

>Gnomes

Mostly loners or in small undeground masons, Gnomes are inventive to the extreme so their holdings are rarely unkept.
>>
>>43607270
Not in the least, I was just trying to hint at what I meant for those who havent read them in a long time.

He made Wormtongue eat a Hobbit, that legitimately disturbs me.
>>
>>43611013
>He made Wormtongue eat a Hobbit, that legitimately disturbs me.
Wait, what the fuck?
>Saruman: Worm killed your Chief, poor little fellow, your nice little Boss. DIdn't you, Worm? Stabbed him in his sleep, I believe. Buried him, I hope; though Worm has been very hungry lately.
Well, he didn't MAKE him eat a hobbit, just kill him. And it's not even confirmed that he did eat him, even if Saruman's trying to imply so.
>>
>>43587259
Because they're guarded by a primordial goddess, the 'special realm' they have is and most of them can polymorph.
Good luck attacking treacherous territory that can be changed at any time by its resident goddess, who will drop all pretense and give no fucks as hundreds of your invaders are eaten alive by the very earth.
Her residents would be horrified by the results, but that's war for you.
Also, the forest needed new fertilizer anyways.
>>
>>43587259
>Gnomes
Gnomes are adapt at illusion, making any attempt to wage war on them pointless as their true numbers are never known. In addition, their connection to the natural world gives them an advantage in forest and natural surroundings. Their alliances with the humans, why they provide technology too, also grants them some defense.
Also, fuck with the Gnomes and their cousins the Dwarves are coming for you ass.

>Halfings
While most think of halflings as perpetual wanderers, their homelands in the desert is suited for them. Being a small race, they require less food and water than other, meaning that they can lay claim to wide stretches of desert no one else wants. Their wandering lifestyle is also suited for the life of a nomadic dervish.
>>
>>43587259
is this supposed to be a "race war now" bait thread or a "manlets when will they learn" bait thread?
either way you fucked up because everyone is just kind of contributing like it's a normal thread and not fighting.
>>
>>43587259
>His setting has Switzerland/Netherlands
How do you justify this, /tg/? I know that every real world setting is a historical rip-off by this point, but offer a serious justification for this. English have their homeland because depending on the setting they're adapt at magic, masterful bowmen and/or a superhuman master race more than able to defend their lands against outsiders. Germans are short, but stocky and sturdy more than able to drive an axe or pick into things many times larger than they are. As for us Americans, we've been committing genocide on eachother since the dawn of our species for sport and have become pretty fucking good at eradicating things we don't like. What about Swiss and Dutch, who are in no way known to be adapt with a certain tactic (other than suing for peace, and that's a sissy tactic you use when running away from something big and scary) and obviously non-threatening. How are they going to defend their countries? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to exist as a minority in the settlements of stronger civilized races? Their wide spread among all the races could even make them excellent as merchants (lots of connections) or diplomats (they have no racial interests, allowing them to appear neutral, a safe option for all other races).
>>
>>43609372
Called Fell's Five. 100% worth buying the hardcover collection.
>>
>>43587259
Gnomes do illusions and mind control and tech. I get them having land, as they have funds and maybe even mega, when everyone else is running around with swords. And also, mind control and illusion can go a long way in being left alone.

As for Halflings, fuck if I know. They vitae hide, and aren't really good at anything.
>>
>>43587259
I really enjoyed that series. Good taste, OP.
>>
I like Metal Magic & Lore Gnomes... They are dwarfs that adopted more human ways. Pisses dwarves off to no end for breaking tradition. But the rotten fuckers are more likely to go to war and invent new ways of killing.

Halflings there just gather in farm communities, and make food for the big folk.
>>
>>43601127
Jedite moj cijeli šupak si halvling kurac.
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.