[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Runequest Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: tdm100-rq6-front-cover-350x450.jpg (101 KB, 350x450) Image search: [Google]
tdm100-rq6-front-cover-350x450.jpg
101 KB, 350x450
Ya know I've never seen any talk about Runequest. Whats your guys opinion on it? Anyone try the newest edition? I was looking to run an iron age age and it looks perfect for what I had in mind. Any thoughts?

Otherwise General Runequest thread.
>>
>>43571772
How do you guys do combat? It always seems like group just does simple attacks and rolls are pretty lethal so that's it.
>>
>>43571772
>Ya know I've never seen any talk about Runequest.
Funny, I've been hearing about it constantly lately. It's got me interested
>>
>>43571772
I love Runequest. It's my good to system whether i need Sword & Sorcery, Sword & Sandal, Renaissance type games that have a big focus on realist combat.
I'm specially looking for the next Runequest Glorantha which will adapt the RQ6 system to the specifics of the Gloranthan world (release date around next summer).
The Design Mechanism is also going to release Classic Fantasy soon so we'll be able to do some Medieval fantasy type games.

>>43571792
Well, what about the special effects? Do you use them? I think they bring in alot of flavour to the combat.
>>
What is difference between:

BRP
MagicWorld
RuneQuest 6th Ed.
>>
>>43573826
Very good question indeed.

BRP is a the basic roleplaying system that serves as a base for other supplements. By using BRP you can play CoC or some Delta Green like game as well as Old School D&D type game.

Magic World is an edition, without the need of BRP, that adapts the rules of BRP to a specific genre. In this case high fantasy. It is self contained and complete but apparently lacks a specific world.

Runequest 6 is done by another company called The Design Mechanism (BRP and Magic World were done by Chaosium) who rented the ability to use the name Runequest to revive the old flame of this title. They changed the rules and made them evolve (some say they brought them in the 21st century). RQ6 is setting agnostic but is more suited for Sword & Sorcery/ Sword & Sandal type settings like Shores of Korantia or Glorantha.

So while Magic world follows from BRP, Runequest is a greater departure from it. A test to revive Runequest and freshen up the system.
I think it did a good job and it's pretty successful.
Now Runequest 6 is having different settings adapted to it like Mythic Britain, Shores of Korantia, the Taskan Empire.
The Runequest name is reverting back to Chaosium who will start adapting Runequest to Glorantha in a book that will not need the RQ6 main book.
>>
>>43574024

Would you say RQ6 is a good game for introducing people into pnp? I want to introduce some friends to the hobby (as well as steer others away from DnD).
>>
>>43575272
I wouldn't say that no. For me the best introduction will always be D&D (5th edition gets my vote), WoD or Cthulhu.
It doesn't mean they wouldn't get it but it's not noob friendly as D&D 5e or a rules light system can be. The realistic combat gets in the way. I love it because it goes deeper than D&D but it's also why it's not noob firendly.
D&D fans might like RQ6 specially for its different take on combat and the magic system, as well as bringing some sort of wonder to magic in a more realistic world.
>>
File: 1422231448448.png (120 KB, 649x610) Image search: [Google]
1422231448448.png
120 KB, 649x610
>>43575272
Dont see why not. Provided the GM knows the mechanics so that the entire session isn't spent flipping through rules and uhmming over special effects.
Magic World may be better. As I understand it, it is basicly a de-Elriced Stormbringer. And Stormbringer is pretty awesome.
>>
I do have RQ6 on dtrpg, and I have started reading it a few times. But so far I've never gotten far. But I really am interested in it.
>>
>>43577752
I agree, to make things smooth with newbs you need a smooth GM who knows his shit.
I wouldn't so much agree about magic world though, but that's because i'm so partial to RQ6.

>>43578471
keep at it, it's great, look for Shores of Korantia, Mythic Britain and Runequest Glorantha for supplements.
>>
I should have posted this sooner
here's my trove so to speak

RQ6
https://mega.nz/#F!vEslwY6J!vZzbQHuRL9zODXp4o9Q-EQ

Glorantha
https://mega.nz/#F!6clxgJzA!obfBdwsL0AYDCdxaTxFaLw
>>
>>43574024
So will Chaosium put out Runequest 7?
>>
>>43582132
No, not Runequest 7. It's going to be Runequest 6 adapted to Glorantha and it's known for lack of an official title yet (or maybe it is official i'm not certain) Runequest Glorantha.
I read a few reviews here and there of the released but cancelled Adventures in Glorantha who would have adapted RQ6 to Glorantha but done by TDM and it seems juicy.
While Adventures in Glorantha was going to be a supplement for RQ6 and needing RQ6 core book to run, Runequest Glorantha by Chaosium will be a self contained book, with all the rules to be play Runequest in the world Glorantha. It's being done by the same guys at The Design Mechanism (Pete Nash and Lawrence Whitaker) so it's going to be same rules and quality as RQ6.

RQ6 in its essence is adaptative and could be adapted by anyone to Glorantha the way it was done for Mythic Britain and Shores of Korantia. Chaosium by way of the TDM guys will do the work for us.
>>
I love everything about RQ6 but the Magic. I can't quite wrap my head around it's version of Shamanism.
>>
>>43583258
What's the problem exactly?
>>
To add to the dialogue some check out RPGPundit's Dark Albion as well. The setting is fairly rules generic and works VERY well with RQ6
>>
I was introduced to Pen and Paper RPGs with the old Glorantha Runequest by an uncle that played it while he was stationed in the army.

I love the combat and realism of it. Introduced my friends in high school to it and they loved it.

One of the funniest things to happen was our priest learning Regrow Limb and in the next session everyone somehow lost a limb fighting against a group of Duck Raiders
>>
>>43578825
Damn, I just downloaded Mythic Britain. This BLOWS away Dark Albion. I'm getting this legit.
>>
I haven't played RQ since the Avalon Hill days.

I loved the Divine Intervention mechanic, wherein praying for DI always carried a 1% chance of insta-death.
>>
>>43573826

BRP and MagicWorld will likely be abandoned. I can't see Chaosium supporting a secondary fantasy game since the have brought RuneQuest back. Damn shame MagicWorld was good but never had a chance. Thanks for ducking up the CoC 7th Ed Kickstarter and nearly destroying the company.
>>
>>43585335
>Thanks for ducking up the CoC 7th Ed Kickstarter and nearly destroying the company.
What did the ducks do?
>>
>>43573808
It's the opposite for me. When I saw that they were already coming out with a new edition tied to a pre-made setting I almost walked away from it. It was only after I read that it was the same system, but repackaged and tweaked slightly to use the Glorantha setting that I ordered it, although I still find it incredibly dumb for the company to take the book out of stock, even if (or especially if) it is just to push their setting for no apparent reason. I had to buy my copy from a third party on amazon. While I did some research on the rules and it seems really good, I did not much apreciate having to read through a bunch of corporate merger drama just to figure out how to buy a hardback copy of the book.

I have never found any interest in running games in pre-made settings. It always turns GMing into more of a chore then it needs to be. I can't for the life of me find any good in the move itself. Hell, even from the perspective of a pure cash grab it's a poor move. They could have just sold a new book just for the setting.

Anyways, does anyone have a PDF? I won't be getting my copy for a few days yet.
>>
>>43578897
Ah, nevermind, scrolled down and see this.
Thanks.
>>
File: Britannia Draft 4 Preview.jpg (8 MB, 1820x3306) Image search: [Google]
Britannia Draft 4 Preview.jpg
8 MB, 1820x3306
>>43571772
I ran my own adaption of the Greg Stafford's Pendragon campaign set in Arthurian Britain. RQ 6 was the system I used to run it and it worked perfectly. The campaign lasted twenty ingame years and I was able to cover the first parts of the story pretty well. Had to end it after running for a year because a player moved but I've been working on getting it up and going again with new players. The combat system was the biggest sell to me. We had some brutal engagements some of which involved players getting impaled, and the mass combat book Ships and Shield Walls let me simulate some historical and legendary battles of that period with the players directly engaged.

We didn't delve into magic much except for later on, I ran the game as low magic for the players starting out but it was a setting where magic was returning. So late in the game one of the players (playing a Pagan Knight) started picking up Folk Magic, and another player that I let in midway through the game built a Saxon war shaman. The other character (the player that moved) played a Christian Knight who optimized his character for fighting and leading battles so he didn't delve into magic too much despite having the highest POW stat out of the three players.

pic related is the map I made in PS for the setting. We started in AD 485 and ended around AD 505.
>>
>>43571772
It's my favourite game I've never played.
>>
File: RQ6_7_5_.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
RQ6_7_5_.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Mandatory awesome character sheet.
>>
>>43578897
>guides to glorantha vol 1 & 2
Welp now I regret paying for the pdfs myself instead of getting the hard copies. Shoulda just bought the damn book and waited for it to ship...
>>
>>43574024
What the heck happened to Mongoose?
>>
File: RuneQuest 3ed.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
RuneQuest 3ed.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43590657
They had a few good years. Then they were denied the chance to renew the license.
Pop opinion because they did a bad job at it.
Cynics may say they suffered the same fate TDM is suffering now.

Mongoose still has Legend. Also a good game, but not as good as RQ6.
>>
>>43583998
How do you actually use the spirit to create effects and what are the limits on those effects?
>>
File: RQ6GMScreen.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
RQ6GMScreen.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43592436
You couldn't find a tougher question, huh? That's the worst you can do?

Animism is a slavering beast. Short version: a spirit must be persuaded, tricked, goaded or beaten into submission. Your chosen tactic will probably be part of defining how you can use it.
Once submitted, a shaman can bind the spirit into a fetish and make it and its powers part of the physical world. The limits of a spirit's power is pretty well defined by its magnitude.
If you don't have shaman available, a low-ranked animist can call on known spirits. Doing so does not grant any control over the spirit, but persuading the right spirit on the right spot at the right time may be able to let its powers affect the physical world - like calling on spirits of the air or ocean to get you out of a doldrum, calling out to brother wolf to help you track your pray better or ask an ancestor to grant you wisdom.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.