[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>BBEG takes over the planet. >He forgot what he was going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13
File: BBEG comes in like.gif (978 KB, 220x190) Image search: [Google]
BBEG comes in like.gif
978 KB, 220x190
>BBEG takes over the planet.
>He forgot what he was going to do afterwards.
How do you do this right?
>>
>>43557966
Have him think that whatever he was trying to do can't be done if he doesn't have absolute 100% certain control of everything in the planet, from social gatherings to the number of public toilets, to the point where having everything under control becomes his single focus and his initial goal gets set aside "until nothing can stop it."

When that day comes, he is so paranoid that he thinks he is losing his grip of the planet and cares more about new laws/curfews/bans than whatever he tried doing.
>>
>BBEG plots and plots to take over the world
>he doesn't ever think it will happen but hopes anyways, delusions of grandeur etc
>one day some extraneous events cause him to become the only leader left on earth
>cue RPG
>>
He takes over but forgets but doesn't want anyone to know and think he's any less powerful so he starts just making stuff up poorly.

He has an advisor/second in command that helps make sure he doesn't look like an idiot.

>so....uh...first, those of you in the east...uh...Will be put to work...in the......mines....
Advisor whispers in his ear:
>Your evilness, the mines are in the west

>......of course! Thats why everyone in the east will be sent to the west to work in the mines. That's what I said...
>>
>>43557966
He aimed real high and honestly didn't expect to get this far
>>
>>43557966
He's too busy doing shit that needs to be done once you take over a planet.
Like keeping your subjects alive. Keeping infrastructure intact.
>>
>>43558507
>Like keeping your subjects alive

The things you own end up owning you.
>>
>>43557966

It's a circle of life kinda deal.

Evil overlord takes over planet, like he planned to for years and years - when he gets there he doesn't know what to do so he kinda makes it up as he goes along.

Eventually he does such a shitty job of it another overlord decides it's time to overthrow the last guy, cue another several years spent subduing a rebellion (for the last guy) and consolidating power (for the new guy) until the new guy takes over.

Surprise surprise the new guy doesn't know what the fuck to do either so the cycle repeats again and again.

The thing they don't know is - the people set the system up this way so each villain would end up taking over, perfecting some kind of infrastructure and then get overthrown - they end up getting the best damn healthcare, social care, education - you name it. All based off of years of succession by evil overlords.

Then some group of shitlord "freedom fighters" or "adventurers" will turn up and break the cycle, making life shitty for everyone . . . right up until the people start molding new supervillains to start everything over again.
>>
>>43557966

Taking over the world is difficult to make compelling, unless there are multiple worlds. A kingdom is more than enough. In that case, I can see this working:

> BBEG was given a misleading prophecy
> Expects some mystic transference of right to rule to solve everything
> Instead, he has a war torn state and former "allies" now looking to slit his Royal throat
>>
>>43557966
You don't. It's a stupid scenario. Part of this weird BBEG-obsession /tg/ has been having, with people discussing BBEGs like they're PCs. Like the "benevolent lich ruler" shit. It's not RP-friendly at that point, it's just people wanking over what they think they would do if they were powerful and had won a setting or game or whatever.
>>
Megamind
>>
>>43557966
Keep world ticking over until you remember what the fuck you were doing.

Stamp down heavily on wars, rebellions and assassination attempts. Whatever it was you were after was probably really important considering all the trouble you went to so you don't want someone breaking it by accident. Whatever it was.
>>
>>43559627
exactly my thoughts. He disguises himself as a mentor and tutors the PCs into being a real challenge for him.
>>
>>43557966
What's this gif from?
>>
>>43559672
A film called Food Fight.

Its fucking awful, even for its time.

I advise you not to watch it.

If you are interested in why then I recommend you watch this humorous review of it instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf85ZaAfixM
>>
>>43559672

You don't want to know. Trust me.
>>
>>43558033
So, Overlord?
>>
Lacking the clear purpose or ideological fervor of a revolution, the new regime will not exhaust itself and collapse. Instead it will simply become a new status quo.

If the villain is charismatic, he will maintain dictatorship in his lifetime and then things will change after his death. If he is not, he'll eventually lose power and be pushed into retirement.
>>
>>43557966
>Warlord plots to rule the world
>succeeds after a couple decades
>Reason for world domination solved itself shortly after
>He loses purpose
>begins to secretly fund rebel groups/adventurers because he's lost purpose and needs something to do
>>
File: things didnt go well.png (1 MB, 500x1476) Image search: [Google]
things didnt go well.png
1 MB, 500x1476
>>43557966
if I remember the Silmarillion right that kinda happened to Sauron. he started out trying to create a perfect order from which he would manage and administrate the world for the better, and by the end he'd been trying so many thousand years that it just became 'everything should do what I want'. what he wanted the whole time was really melkor's dick
>>
>>43559695
>NC
>humorous
Puh-Lease Jontron or IHE is where it's at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGql8sKjJwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQawtEXwuPg
>>
File: 1443641752851.jpg (87 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
1443641752851.jpg
87 KB, 640x512
>>43557966
>my party dies to the BBEG
>they want to start over
>they start over to a dying landscape where the BBEG has ruined the world, years in the future
>they're welcomed by wastelands and ruin, surrounded by environments that are only echoes of places they've already visited, and the tales across isolated settlements talk about the fallen heroes, and how their powerful souls have been claimed as the undead champions of the BBEG
>they must surpass the new threats, the fallen heroes of the old world, to try once again to reclaim the land from the grasp of the undead king, who's more powerful than before

>Anon, you told us you'd give us another chance to defeat the bad guy!
>But Player... That's exactly what i'm doing!
>Their faces when

saving/reloading campaigns are pretty boring imo
>>
>>43557966
The party made things so incredibly difficult for him that his secondary goal behind global domination became finding a way to kill them all and undo all of the damage they did. At some point he became so obsessed that when he finally killed every one of the fuckers and finished reveling in his victory he realized that he no longer had a fucking clue what he was trying to accomplish. Even in death that party still manages to fuck things up for him.
>>
>>43558507
Sup Lordgenome
>>
>>43562465
>>43562465
10/10 DM
>>
File: AkuHasDoubts.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
AkuHasDoubts.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>43559469
Or it's a scenario where the BBEG has already won, and the PCs must undo the evil that is Aku?
(I've noticed a lot of Aku today)

Aku is a good example of an all powerful ruler of the world who has done it for so long he got bored and now just has fun.
But Aku is not "doing it right" unless you want that slightly silly BBEG feel.
>>
>>43558711
>>43557966
Go away, Whofags.
>>
He then becomes a great patron of the arts since he's bored, and culture flourishes in what is widely regarded to be a golden age.

He can still be an evil fuck and kill people or extort riches now and again, but he still appreciates a fine painting or a grand opera, and since he owns controls the world there isn't war anymore.
>>
File: Soup_or_Sonic_screenshot.png (123 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Soup_or_Sonic_screenshot.png
123 KB, 300x225
>>43565481
>>43557966
>How do you do this right?
Your exact scenario?

>>43558033
This.
Very Abis Mal.

Any villain who takes over the planet by skill is only going to forget what he was going to do afterwards if he suffered severe brain trauma while doing it.
(This could actually be done well. Imagine the Red Skull with Alzheimer's)
And any villain who takes over the planet without knowing what comes next is an idiot who got lucky.

I am a fan of the BBEG has already won and is the ruler of the world and the PCs aren't saving the world, they are liberating it.
But you are asking how to herp your derp.

A good BBEG won't forget what he was going to do afterwards.
A great BBEG won't try to rule the world at all, it's just a hassle anyway. He has real goals and real motivations that won't evaporate when he makes a grand achievement.
>>
>>43565678
>A great BBEG won't try to rule the world at all, it's just a hassle anyway. He has real goals and real motivations that won't evaporate when he makes a grand achievement.

Ruling the world is a grand achievement.
>>
>>43565741
>Ruling the world is a grand achievement.
Yes, that is where I was going with that.
A great BBEG would continue to have goals and motivations even after he achieved taking over the world.
You see?
>>
>>43565802
Yes. I thought at first you were insinuating that a great BBEG wouldn't try because they think it's below them or something, or think they can control it from the shadows.
>>
>>43565501
What?
>>
>>43566373
I presumed those posts could be considered a reference to an episode of Dr. Who we all are supposed to recognize.
I am a Whofag that is behind on the show and have no idea what he's talking about.
>>
>>43566553
no you're an autist who's shitting up this thread with your whofaggotry
>>
>>43557966
Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic dealt with this.

The Lich of the evil mountain was once a human priest, who in order to save his people abandoned his goddess and started serving an evil one who he found out was behind everything all along. Over the years he forgot more and more as he tried to make himself immortal and all-powerful to kill her, and she began manipulating him again.

After taking over the evil mountain and moving on the continent he finally remembered. He REALLY wasn't happy.

After stepping down as overlord and passing it back to the Orc queen, he went on a long sabbatical while deciding what to do with his unlife. Pic related, he finds out his old goddess had saved his sister as her champion.
>>
File: 2714.jpg (298 KB, 750x984) Image search: [Google]
2714.jpg
298 KB, 750x984
>>43569004
>>
>>43569031
>>
>>43562307
>Not linking to the Phealous and Snob review

Anon do you not like humour?
>>
>>43568521
Literally the only whofaggotry I have done in this thread was mentioned it in response to you here >>43566553

Calling out bogeymen for obviously ruining a thread when you are the only one who can see them make you the fool.
This is your last reply.
>>
North Korea.
>>
>>43558888
Oh man I am so doing this in Exalted.
Especially if the players help him on the basis "he's a solar so automatically good guy"
But every time any crisis pops up in his turf, he fuck up and the players have to bail him out. Again and again.
>>
>>43557966
Go read a summary of The Mouse That Roared, then watch Megamind, I guess. They aren't very similar but both are applicable in different ways.
>>
>>43565847
He was having that a bit.
Great BBEG has an idea of that needs doing. Taking the world may be a step towards it.
Or it may not and then he won't be doing the grandstanding, he'll just take over as much as he wants.

Although then again, a villain that is competent generally, but has this obsessive idea of taking over the world can be interesting.
He hopes that when he truthfully proclaims himself on top the idea will leave him and he will be able to finally think of something, ANYTHING else.
And he'll break down in despair when he wins because it won't help.

>>43569004
Huh, pretty neat.
>>
File: 1258970283046.gif (489 KB, 352x240) Image search: [Google]
1258970283046.gif
489 KB, 352x240
>>43565481
Yes, yes he is. He is doing it oh so right.
>>
>>43559695
>Nostalgia Critic
Isn't it past your bedtime?
>>
>>43557966
Why, it turns out that he's a construct or summon who was ordered to take over the world and await further instruction. But the boss isn't showing up, so now its a race to convince the former bbeg that you're the rightful successor to the original boss so he'll hand over the reins and you can keep the autocracy out of the hands of those who would use it for ill that aren't you
>>
>>43557966
The BBEG only took the throne for the thrill of being the champion and the adventure, not the prospect of being king.

In reaction to this sudden responsibility he is expected to undertake, he then either leaves the throne empty and returns into hiding, or makes someone else king. He may even make someone from your party king, so the BBEG would know that there will always be some resistance to face, some challenge to beat.
>>
>>43572062
>>43565481
I'm so sad they never got to finish the series proper.

Didn't they say there was some sort of concluding movie in the works around the time Mako died? Or is that only a vague, wild rumor?
>>
>>43559672
What might just be the worst movie ever made. Worse than Birdemic, worse than Battlefield Earth, worse than Jaws The Revenge, even worse than the dreaded Star Wars Holiday Special.
>>
File: TheEvilThatWas.png (345 KB, 500x592) Image search: [Google]
TheEvilThatWas.png
345 KB, 500x592
>>43573753
We got see a sense of where the story was going at least.
I would have loved to see more.
>>
>>43573850
>even worse than the dreaded Star Wars Holiday Special.
That's bad.
I'm not that anon, but I will be taking your word for it.

>What might just be the worst movie ever made
I've said for a number of years that "North" is the worst movie ever made.
I say this with confidence because although you can give a toddler a camera and get a worse movie, I can't think of any other movie with a talent to quality ratio that is worse.
The movie was directed by Rob Reiner and had dozens of the funniest comedians in the world in it and not one moment was funny and nearly every scene was offensively awful.
>>
>>43573753

They were going to make a movie to conclude it all, but they decided to make a Powerpuff Girls movie instead. And then when that tanked, everyone acted surprised and said, "Well we can't let that happen to Samurai Jack," and they never made it.

There's probably a lot more to it than that, but that's as far as my understanding of the whole situation is.
>>
File: Cunt.jpg (26 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
Cunt.jpg
26 KB, 600x338
>>43557966
>>BBEG takes over the planet.
>>He forgot what he was going to do afterwards.
>How do you do this right?
We get the previous Prime Minister of Australia, Tony Abbott.
He fought a bitter war of negativity to get to that seat and once there he became one of the shortest serving PMs in Australian history because all his plans kind of stopped with 'get the big seat' and he floundered from then on.
>>
>>43574922
No one wants to sit in the seat of spiders once they get there.
>>
>>43558711
>molding new supervillians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdc-UU2hVrs

This music is playing while they do it, right?
>>
>>43562465
Sounds like a reverse ending to FF1.
>>
Late to the party but...

>have him try to gain immense power by linking with a god of knowledge of some kind
>the god bestows knowledge for the price of knowledge or rather your memories
>finds a loophole but fucks up
>now a constant link to the BBEG and the gods grimoire
>BBEGs memory is slowly degrading but his knowledge and power is growing
>progressively harder to fight throughout the campaign
>new enemies summond from unknown places, ancient traps and spells, old cults yada yada yada
>slowly becoming more like the analytical and calculative god of ancient and forbidden knowledge
>loosing his mind but not batshit insane, just a shell with the sole intention of controlling everything.

>forgot progress and reason
>decides he will gain the knowledge of a god to find out why
>links up to grimoire to gain forbidden knowledge and power
>was going to cost memory but found a loop hole
>fucks up
>but with knew knowledge will take over the world
And so the endless loop ensues...
>>
>>43575008
>And so the endless loop ensues...
I don't see how it could
>>
>>43557966
Make the guy an immortal who has been trying to do it for centuries or longer. Now that he succeeded, he'll fix ALL of his problems he had with the world......that are no longer relevant due to the passing of time making those problems irrelevant.

Uh, whoops.
>>
Have you watched TTGL?
Do a lordgenome
>>
>>43574930
>the seat of spiders
Wait, are Australian's Drow?
>>
File: slowpoke.png (209 KB, 964x706) Image search: [Google]
slowpoke.png
209 KB, 964x706
>>43578518
>>
>>43569111
Nope, I just prefer videos that don't mention the Nazi as a way of looking or sounding 'egdy'.
>>
>>43578743
Well, I want to be defensive, but really I should have seen it much sooner.
>>
>>43574252
I love that image
>>
>>43577919
Lordgenome took over the planet so he could stop it from triggering the uh, whatever they were called. He never once lost sight of his goal.
>>
>>43573850
Worse than The Room?
>>
>>43581316
Easily
>>
>>43557966
He's forgetful and VERY imaginative. Combine that with maniacal whimsy. Now you have a BBEG who took over the world.....for some reason or another...riiight? Maybe if he lets loose a pack of feral kittens with those darned mittens they hate taped to their paws he'll remember what phase 2 was. What if that IS phase 2?! Its definitely phase 2! I'm sure of it!......okay now why did i have these kittens again? Oh yeah! Phase 2! Wait. Why would i get kittens for a new super virus? RIGHT! Phase 2! Now where are those kitten mittens...where did all these VIALS COME FROM!?!
>>
File: But he's not canon anymore.png (2 MB, 1918x1063) Image search: [Google]
But he's not canon anymore.png
2 MB, 1918x1063
>>43557966
Like this.
>>
>>43582620
Who?
>>
>>43557966
Taking over the world involved using maddening, forbidden magic.
Originally, he thought to raise the world into a new age of magic and prosperity.
His methods became less scrupulous the more and more he pushed for change among the elves, who were too self-obsessed to see what needed to happen. The flighty gnomes were focused on their useless toys, the orcs cared not but to keep what was theirs, halflings simply wanted a peaceful life, and his own race, the humans, were wishy-washy and prone to blase neutrality.
Eventually, he was banished from the schooling of magic he attended for using dark artistry, the result of which was a daughter through the study of simalcrums going horribly right.
This chain of events also got him dosowned by his family.
Furious, he stewed in anger until a former college attempted to make it up to him by helping with his research.
However, the former fellow student had secretly prepared to use the research to advance his own university career.
Future BBEG esponded by killing the traitor and the traitor's brother. Brokering deal after deal in dark pacts, he has grown to be a maddened foolish-acting stereotypical 'nihilist' who likes to showboat unless the situation turns serious.
In the end, should they defeat him, having lost everything but his own body and soul, he will give everything he has left up for one shot at taking as many people as he can down with him.
>>
I like what happened with Megamind.

Took over the city, had fun doing whatever he wanted (think last person on the planet), and then got bored not having someone to fight everyday so he decided to become a hero. He cleaned up the city, got the government running again, then actively tried to find evil to fight.

Cue evil campaign.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.