[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mutants and Masterminds anyone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Hey guys, I want to convince my friends to get into a mutants and mastermind rpg.

Up until now they've pretty much been playing high fantasy rpgs with the occasional 40k stuff thrown in.

They're pretty set in their ways. How do I convince them of the awesomeness of a life of fighting for justice in a modern superhero setting?

Picture related also Mutants and Mastermind thread in general?
>>
File: BICYCLE OF JUSTICE.png (388 KB, 794x984) Image search: [Google]
BICYCLE OF JUSTICE.png
388 KB, 794x984
>>43531127
By riding the Bicycle of Justice!
>>
>>43531215

Already done. Almost every day.

... because gas is expensive bro.
>>
>>43531127
Pitch it to them using superheroes that are popular so they have a frame of reference for the power level you have in mind. From there, just start talking about ideas. Most people have thought of what superpowers they'd want or what a cool superhero they'd like to see is like.

From there, you just can't get too pushy about it. The concepts probably won't be what you had in mind, but just let the group have sway here. You don't want to shoot down someone's idea right off the bat for being silly or whatever. Base the tone around what they pick.

Offering to run it yourself can also help. Maybe even do a one-shot with prebuilts just to introduce the system, then explain how it can be used to make their own characters.
>>
>>43531451
I like it thanks man.
>>
>>43531127

Most likely they see superheroing as either 4 color heroics Superman style, or a grim gritty antihero types like the Punisher. Have them read Incredible Hercules or any other semi-serious book. The stakes are still real, but the heroes don't get ultra-serious because this is like every Thursday for them.
>>
>>43531127
build high fantasy characters in mutants.

duh.
>>
>>43531280
Do you ride without a license though?
>>
>>43532441
>modern paladin

neat.

>>43532464
nigga what kind of crazy gulag do you live in that needs a license to ride a bike?
>>
>>43532491
Feats:

Leadership
Interpose
Fearless
Benefit (Recognized Lawman)
Second Chance
Favored Enemy: Undead

Powers:
Boost (2/rank, Saves) or Enhance Ability (1/rank x 3 Saves = 3/Rank)
Healing (2/Rank)
Immunity:Disease(1)
Immunity:Poison(1)
Mind Reading (1/2 / rank, limited: detect alignment only)

Mind Control (1/3 / rank, one command: "Flee," Sense Dependent, Limited: Undead)
Alt Power (this is gonna be a weird one):
Disintegrate(2/rank, Sense Dependent, Limited: Undead) (actually, this might count as part of the Holy Symbol, but then either its sharing points with magic or you're getting into nested alternate powers, and things just start getting really weird. better to just make it part of you.)

Hellfire Control (fluffed as Holy as per rules own suggestion. 2/rank)
Alt powers:
>Emotion Control: Hope (2/rank, Limited: 1 emotion only (-1), Area: 10 foot radius (+2), Range:Touch(-2), Selective Attack (+1), Duration:Continuous (+1), Permanent (-1)) (my stars this thing is a mess to make)
>Minion (3/rank+1. Mental Link, Fanatical) (Your mount.)
>Strike (1/2/rank. Mighty, Full Power, Limited:Evils Only) (this is smite)

Device (Holy Symbol. 3 per rank, each rank gives 5 to spend. Restricted: People of your faith (+1))
Spent on:
>Magic (2/rank, countless alt power feats on this one boys. not even gonna try. just only bother to build the spells you would have taken if it were dnd)

And of course, Power Loss: Unatoned Evil Act on nearly all of these. (-1 or maybe -2)
>>
>>43534708
(cont.)

Equipment (1/rank, 1 rank = 5 ranks to spend)
to be spent on:

Protection (1/rank) (armor)
Shield (1/rank) (duh)
Immovable (1/rank. that armors heavy, yaknow? porbably not too much in this though.

Might add Noticable to the protection and immovable to get 1 free rank or so if the DM allows. I mean, it makes sense. He's in a flipping suit of armor. Its pretty easy to recognize that he might be armorED by it and also heavy.. You might also want to make them alternate dynamic power feats. You can stand your ground, or roll with the punches and not get hurt as much, or find a happy medium. That is, unless you want to Link them, which is probably the better option, though may be more costly, I'm not sure without adding it up. Probably depends on how many points you spend on them.)
>>
Okay so, M&M question: is Homing as OP as it seems to me?
The system pruned out nearly any kind of multi-attack, but Homing essentially allows them.
>turn 1: shoot off a homing attack, it misses
>turn 2: new attack plus rebound first, essentially two attacks
>turn 3: up to three attacks now
And they only get removed from the stack when they hit the target or some nebulous "obstacle" which isn't defined anywhere on how you avoid them in this way.
>>
>>43538209
It doesn't seem to be, in our game. As long as you don't go over the agreed PL, then that's fine... I think.
>>
Watched a bunch of clips from Bollywood action movies yesterday. Now I want to run an M&M game that goes full Bollywood Physics.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.