[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cities Personified: World-Building Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 40
File: image.jpg (523 KB, 1039x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
523 KB, 1039x1280
So a few days ago I was talking to a friend about the settlement of Attawapiskat in Northern Ontario, which has declared an emergency because of literally hundreds of suicides, ten attempts in one day at one point. From that I had the following idea for a setting
> All people are slightly psychic
> individually, they can do nothing
> but when thousands, or even millions, are crammed together in cities their collective unconsciousness can
> Their urban legends create monsters
> and their negative emotions fuel
them
> However their collective will to live also creates a 'personification' of the city, which tries to keep it alive
> small towns have weak protectors which fight off one or two monsters
> While cities like New York or Tokyo have super-powerful protectors who fight off hundreds of foes
> if they die the city goes full Attawapiskat until a new personification is born
> the idea would be a campaign where several low-to-mid-ish level personifications must team up for some purpose
And that's all I got so far.
Please feel free to add to the lore or describe your own cities
Disclaimer 1: Attawapiskat is a native settlement, I've seen where these sorts of threads can go so /pol/acks please restrain yourselves
Disclaimer 2: I know this is not the most original idea (pic related) rest assured if I am ripping something off it is unintentional
>>
I like it!

How do the personifications interact with the world? Are they in their own plane of reality? Or do they just walk around like normal people?
>>
>>46884794
>where several low-to-mid-ish level personifications must team up for some purpose
Just to comment on this, but maybe it has to do with incorporation?
Several smaller towns are forced by economic or municipal reasons to incorporate into a single city?
Or maybe the reverse is true, where a city's boroughs and outlying areas feel like they would do better as separate entities due to gentrification or changing demographics, and now there's a surge of monsters from the negative emotions and stress, even as the city personification suffers from a fragmenting personality.
>>
File: image.jpg (456 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
456 KB, 960x960
>>46884869
They walk around their cities and can interact, however insert standard 'unusualness filter' so their fights or oddities aren't noticed. I just like imagining Toronto or someone hanging out on billboards or inside fast food stands
>>
File: image.jpg (433 KB, 900x1189) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
433 KB, 900x1189
>>46884928
...I had not thought of that. This is why I love these threads
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 5999x1294) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 5999x1294
>>46884990
Wrong pic
>>
>>46884956
Maybe they just walk around the city and all the inhabitants love them but have no idea what they really are? Like that one friendly as hell guy you see all the time on your way home from work and never really talk to turns out to be the personification of humanity's gestalt psychic will in one area.
>>
>>46884794
I wonder how does Paris handles actually being 20 cities.
>>
>>46885492
She's a total slut, having 20 cities inside her.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 450x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 450x310
>>46884794
The power scaling must be fucking insane
>>
>>46884794
Instead of a single personification, why not multiple? Tokyo is constantly attacked by Godzilla, but the Sailor Scouts and Sentai Squad fight him off. If you want, just file off the copyright.
>>
I lived in Paris for six years.

And that ain't the personification of fucking Paris, let me tell you.
>>
>>46884794
So literally Kancolle: Cities edition?
>>
>>46886861
I was thinking about that...
>>
>>46886974
Oh my god yes.
But only in Japan.
The cities in other countries think its weird and kinda skeevy but Japan fails to see the problem.
>>
>>46886861
>>46886977
So how do you guy see it?
>>
> Seattle is a hipster city that only fights using obscure weapons you probably haven't heard of
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 460x441) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 460x441
>>46887096
>>
>>46887191
I thought that was Portland.
>>
File: Phoenix-Jones.0.0.jpg (153 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Phoenix-Jones.0.0.jpg
153 KB, 1600x900
>>46887191
No, this is Seattle.
>>
What the hell does Hollywood look like?
>>
Regardless of everything else I think we all know what L O N D O N would be like as a character.
>>
>>46888096
Jerry Epstein.
>>
>>46888141

The fat red headed nastybeard guy who was putting up Sharia Law signs?
>>
File: London.jpg (67 KB, 736x442) Image search: [Google]
London.jpg
67 KB, 736x442
>>46888243
>>46888141
Here we go
>>
File: image.jpg (165 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165 KB, 800x800
>>46884794
> a powerful city dies
> surrounding cities have to cover for him despite being underleved as fuck in comparison
Pic unrelated, is waifu Vatican City
>>
>>46884956
This is hell
>>
>>46888547
What, like, Toronto?
>>
> in their own domains personifications have flawless senses of direction and instinctively know everybody by name
> when visiting other cities they have the worst senses of direction imaginable
>>
i love this idea.

What about city's powers?
I can see Vegas as someone amazingly lucky,Paris is charming and can control minds.
Also,New York is Insomniac.
>>
File: download.jpg (14 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14 KB, 275x183
i love this idea.

What about city's powers?
I can see Vegas as someone amazingly lucky,Paris is charming and can control minds.
Also,New York is Insomniac(City that never sleeps).
>>
>>46890821
> Warsaw uses an actual war-chainsaw
>>
>>46884794
Why the fuck is Gotham a demon bat?

On topic
>Austin Texas
The hippie-dippy liberal heart of Texas. A combination of modern "progressive" values and Deep South & Western tradition.
>>
>>46891116
Gotham is one of the worst cities to live in in DC universe,second only to Hub City.

Gotham is full of crazy people and criminals,always was.
>>
File: marie-laveau.png (192 KB, 350x466) Image search: [Google]
marie-laveau.png
192 KB, 350x466
>>46884794
pic related is New Orleans?
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 635x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 635x768
What did Kowloon Walled City look like and why are the other cities still scared to talk about it?
>>
>>46891390
>Its qian Ya from SR:HK

shit
>>
>>46884794
So as religions get big enough their deities actually come to being, rising in power as they gain followers?
>>
File: image.jpg (163 KB, 825x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163 KB, 825x900
OP here, thanks for the most popular thread I have ever made. Lurkers Contribute! Non-American content welcome! Tell us about your cities!
>>46891488
Wut? Religion doesn't really come into it.
> pic is how I imagine Edinburgh
>>
File: rocketman.jpg (63 KB, 1000x708) Image search: [Google]
rocketman.jpg
63 KB, 1000x708
>>46884794
>Huntsville Alabama
>Home of the US Army Aviation and Missile Command
>Motherfucking Wernher von Braun worked here on all sorts of rocket stuff including development of the Redstone rocket, which was used for the first live nuclear ballistic missile tests.
>The whole fucking city lives and breathes aerospace engineering and missile research
HAHAHA.

Don't worry mam, ROCKET MAN is here to save the day!
>>
>>46891894
>Religion doesn't really come into it.
Well the explaining factor behind it all is people being latent psychics, and collectively making real things they believe in, urban legends given as an example.
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 960x640
>>46892094
But they don't believe in personified cities but those exist anyway.

Honestly man, Deities needing belief has been done in thousand other settings and what I'm going for here is something else entirely
>>46892075
This dude gets it
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 550x991) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 550x991
The more I think about it the more I like the contrast between somone like Mexico City being a super powerful being who fights off kaiju sized monsters as compared to the personification of some sleepyl PEI town who regularly has to beat back the same monster into the water with his stick.
>>
>>46891116
I figured it was supposed to be a Gargoyle
>>
There's a short story like this in a SE Asian comics anthology. Liquid City volume 1 or 2, I forget.

An old man is brought around a metropolitan city by a young lady who shows him all the people and sights and tells him how much she loves the place, and at the end they stop at an official ceremony where a small town is placed under the jurisdiction of the city.

The old man asks if what's coming will hurt, and the two hug each other. After the cursory flash of light, only the lady is left.

I'll try and find it when I get home.
>>
File: kingofportland-2.gif (197 KB, 750x596) Image search: [Google]
kingofportland-2.gif
197 KB, 750x596
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1365
OP here
Going to bed
Leaving of with a picture of my personal favorite city
Hope to see this thread in the morning
>>
>>46892999
Mexico's cities would be great as characters for a mafia story.
>Mexico City is an asshole like the Kingpin from Daredevil, insanely corrupt and rich, but coming from a poor background and knows his way through the streets; and it's surrounded by a bunch of hitmen representing the cities in the major metropolitan area
>Monterrey is a rich, snooty dude who might or not be clad in iron armor; and always says how he is better than Mexico City or Guadalajara
>Guadalajara is a gay mariachi permanently drunk on tequila
>Acapulco is a cute socialite doubling as a bloodthirsty cartel bitch (her sisters Vallarta and Mazatlan are almost the same as her)
>Leon is a gunslinging battle priest
>Tijuana is a hooker who does crazy shit with a donkey painted like a zebra, and is white enough to pass as american
>Merida is a sleepy guy always wearing white
>Cancun is a high class stripper
>>
>>46884794
Jack?
Oh right. DC absorbed The Authority.
>>
File: Pavlov's_House.jpg (51 KB, 635x412) Image search: [Google]
Pavlov's_House.jpg
51 KB, 635x412
>>46884794

I was just watching an Extra History cartoon about the guy who basically founded epidemiology and helped end Cholera epidemics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpzHHbFrHY

It made me think that this would be a really really interesting historic setting. Because the forces being unleashed in the city by mass death and misery are being balanced by a desperate will to hang on and live. Imagine London during the fire, or the plague. Or Stalingrad, the battle of.

It would be neat is if there's no fixed avatar. Again relating to both John Snow from the animation and Sgt. Yakov Pavlov and his crew supposedly killing more Germans than they lost taking Paris. People can get possessed by the city when there's a desperate enough circumstance, and they're driven with inhuman strength and energy to deal with whatever threat is attacking the city. That could be the basis for player characters, and the genesis of monsters/suicides like you mentioned above.

The other thing that occurs to me is that the smaller cities are more likely to ally and mix than the great cities. You're not just dealing the town or the village, you're fighting the parish or the county. That might help the power scaling a bit. A city has to be a certain size before it really develops a unique identity.
>>
>>46894076

Would Veracruz be the world weary older guy who's seen all kinds of serious serious shit go down?
>>
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 600x680) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 600x680
> Mining company builds town
> a couple hundred workers move there to work
> after several months a young personification is born
> a small girl who knows all the workers by name and tries her very hardest to quash the small monsters attacking the town
> it's hard work as she is small and the workers are beset by worries and troubles
> does it anyway as she loves the town unconditionally
> coal dries up
> all the workers ship out
> little girl dies cold and alone with no one to sustain her
Honestly op I am not super pumped about some of the things this setting implies
> pic unrelated
>>
>>46894557
>Ghost towns are even more literal

Well, that's depressing.

Could you bring them back if a bunch of historical reenactors started living there?
>>
>>46894557
You should read American Gods.
>>
>>46891116
>Why the fuck is Gotham a demon bat?

Think about Detroit, now add a small population of crazy individuals that dress in costumes that committing half of all the crime in in the city all in their own. That's Gotham.
>>
>>46894301
Yeah.
And the cities in Michoacan would be a bunch of pissed off farmers telling people to get the fuck out of their lawn.
>>
>>46894911
Pluss depending on who is paying attention to what continuity Gotham is cursed/a gateway to hell
>>
>>46894557
Imagine how the representations of places like Belchita, Centralia, Prypiat or those drowned towns in China might look.
>>
File: teZs-passport-5-675x1024.jpg (105 KB, 675x1024) Image search: [Google]
teZs-passport-5-675x1024.jpg
105 KB, 675x1024
At some point Rome's personification looked like something like this or any statue of Athena. Now days takes the form of an old tired woman that likes to walk among the ruins of the old city.
>>
>>46895028
>>
>>46884794
Paris is black/arabic though.

How can this whitewashing be!
>>
>>46886974
That was supposed to be the plot of Girl's Life, an upcoming Visual Novel/Anime from Type-Moon.
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 1280x607) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 1280x607
Any significance to sister cities?
>>
File: Shibuya.png (29 KB, 266x399) Image search: [Google]
Shibuya.png
29 KB, 266x399
Hmm... cities personified? Now /where/ have I heard -that- before...?
>>
>>46895214

Hot lesbian incest action
>>
>>46887996
Well Seattle has coffee related powers, while Portland's revolve around micro-brewed beer instead.
>>
>>46895303
I feel like Seattle would have something to do with Rain as well.
>>
>>46893867

That picture is visually so fucking awesome. And I'm not entirely sure of all the reasons why. Where is it?
>>
>>46884794
>Please feel free to add to the lore or describe your own cities
Halifax would be a beat up sailor with no legs. (Stan Rogers reference)
>>
>>46894557
That would be interesting in itself.

What happens to the personifications after the town / city dies.

Is it as simple as them dying too. Or are the left to wander the world seeking new purpose
>>
>>46887053
>>46886974
Magical Girl Wars was basically that for provinces.
>>
>>46890821
>I can see Vegas as someone amazingly lucky
It's a city build on people losing money.
>>
>>46896955
Tell me Saitama province was represented...
>>
>>46896977
Then something luck related, like bets and chances for everything
>>
What about all those Nowheresville towns in the American midwest? Did a long road trip recently and I'm planning another, and you'd be surprised by how many ten-building towns you see out among the cornfields in the Dustbowl. Do all of those have souls too?

Also, I kinda like the concept of a personification for everything, at varying power levels:
>Houses have their own little guardian spirits, like the Roman lares, mostly guarding against minor spirits of bad luck
>Districts each have their own spirit, and spend most of their time fighting each other
>Towns have spirits, and are on varying terms with their neighbors (two towns who regularly have visitors in either direction will be a lot more friendly than a pair with a Hatfield/McCoy rivalry)
>Big cities like Chicago or New York have city personifications, sure, but they also have lesser gods born from the memories of fame - New York might have Babe Ruth and Nancy Reagan, Springfield might have Abraham Lincoln and maybe even Homer Simpson given the show's popularity

Read Gods of Manhattan, it's pretty good.
>>
File: image.jpg (161 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161 KB, 1920x1080
Op here
Thread still alive
Holy shit
Thanks Guys
>>46895655
It's Edinburgh

Also, I just realized, we've been talking about the cities a lot. What is it that they fight?
> pic related for Japan
>>
>>46898766
>mfw France has over 36600 cities.
>Half of which have less than 400 people.
>Only around 400 have more than 10000 people.
>Nine "died for France" and have a population of 0.
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 680x444) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 680x444
>>46898999
>>46898888
>>
>>46884794

There's an old (1990) game called Nightlife that played with this for New York.

Each of the boroughs (hell, even some of the neighbourhoods) had an avatar spirit that they called City Elementals.

The one from the Theatre District looked like the Phantom of the Opera, the Wall Street one looked like a Business Woman, Harlem was a little black kid with a basketball and a Globetrotters jersey, so on and so on.
>>
>>46891390

Remember the Thing from the 1982 movie?
>>
>>46895381
Portland's not exactly dry and sunny either.
>>
>>46889419
not the worst, but they do get lost more often.

and perhaps they always instinctively know which direction to walk in to get taken to the heart of their domain. it's like knowing which way North is, it doesn't help you unless you know approximately where you are, AND where things are in relation to yourself.

>>46888373
I've suddenly started thinking about the Genius Loci(the things we're discussing) in the areas surrounding Detroit...

>>46891116
aside from all the other reasons so far given, gotham also has a protector, someone whom the people can believe in. the spirit of the city emulates what it's people believe in to draw power from that belief. the belief that The Batman is out there somewhere.

>>46891291
I would have thought Dr Facilier...

>>46891488
thats how it's represented in more than a few media. the Discworld does it (read Small Gods) as does the Dresden Files(read Side Jobs). but these days Gods are given less credence than science, politicians, or celebrities.

>>46892075
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCf23ZTFaDM

>>46892094
that theory could feed into things like that article about the myths of Miami street children.

>>46892191
>Deities needing belief has been done in thousand other settings and what I'm going for here is something else entirely
yes, this is Genius Loci. the spirits of places, kin to the gods of the earth who are not so concerned with the day to day worries of any specific places in the world...
>>
When mankind was young, we clustered together in villages, around a fire, to hide from the creatures in the wild and the darkness. We could not see them, for their darkness was of another realm, overlapping our own.

As time went on we built towns, cities, metropolitan sprawls. We forgot about the things we feared, for as more of us gathered, the Genius Loci, or Principalities, appeared to fight them off. No more could the monsters slip out of their Feywild to kill us in our sleep.

This is the story of the Principalities. The spirits we forged who live alongside us to fight the dark. They are unseen by us. They are us. They love us. Hear their tale well, for you have been called to their aid...
>>
>>46894758
I have, and now I've made the connection >>46894557 is even more depressing.

>>46895214
dynamic duos
for a more conflict heavy game you could do Sibling Animosity.

I wouldn't mind watching Dallas and Fort Worth tear themselves apart...fuck those places and their roadway systems

>>46896977
>It's a city build on people losing money.
to the city's inhabitants...most of the losers come in from the outside.

>>46898766
I did some outlining for a homebrew where colleges had these Genius Loci. if a wizard wanted to boost his research capabilities he'd take up residence nearby and start pumping magic into the campus to make it thrive and induce its spirit to help with research, the mascots of the most empowered colleges would come alive and wander campuses. occasionally protecting students, or gifting advice on studies in passing.

the rise of internet universities was an attempt to thwart the mages

>>46898888
>What is it that they fight?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bodach
spirits of evil, to give them flavor and identities beyond "evil spirit" you could describe them based on their evils. Drugs, The Abuse of Authority, Violence, Corruption, Subversion, Prostitution(the negative kind like in cities where it's illegal), etc., etc., etc.

>>46900152
that gave me the goosebumps, I like it.
>>
>>46888373
Why is Vatican City wearing a star of David?
>>
>>46900399
Jesus was a jew?
>>
>>46884794

I would Metropolis.
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 207x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 207x200
>>46898888
> Be Loci of Cincinnati
> Spend life fighting personifications of gun violence and drug use
> Demonic gunmen and plague looking motherfuckers
> Japanese sister city asks me to cover for her
> sure, why not?
> Akita is pretty cool
> mfw I have to fight evil schoolgirls
> mfw I have to fight tentacle beasts
> mfw every other monster is based on a fucking pun
> mfw Mothra shows up for no adequately explained reason
>>
>>46900152
I love it. Fits in nicely with /x/'s creepypastas:

>There are things that lurk outside the bounds of streetlights. Strange things, monsters of twisted wood and flesh and hate.
>They feed on us, for we are their prey - scuttling weak creatures, bags of blood and bone.
>But they fear fire, and they fear the light, and those are our inheritance as humankind. We wrought iron from cold stone and tamed those monsters that we could, and built a wall around ourselves to shut the nightmares out.
>Our walls grew, wider and wider, until they were no longer walls of stone and dirt and wood but of light and sound and they covered most of the world. The nightmares cowered from these, and fled to the shadows beyond our walls.

>They're still out there.
>Waiting. Hungry.

>Some of them are hungry enough to brave the walls, to duck between the lights and find those of us who wander astray.
>Some of them are bold enough to stand in the light and remind us why we feared them.
>In ancient times, we would elect a champion to defend us, armored in light and hope. But now, we are a race of thinkers, not of warriors; there are no champions among us.

>None save our walls.
>>
>>46885492
If they are created by the psychic energy of the people, I don't think it matters as long as they consider themselves Parisian
>>
>>46901935
>Did you ever have a stuffed toy as a child? You hugged it, cherished it, kissed its well-worn nose and fell asleep with it. But more than that, you hid with it. It was a defense, a way to ensure that the monsters in your closet or under your bed wouldn't get you. It fought ferociously for you because it loved you, and the monsters were always vanquished so you could sleep soundly.

>You abandoned it, of course. You grew too old for childish things, and knew that there were no monsters under your bed.

>You were wrong.

>The monsters are there. They wait for you, outside the pool of light your streetlight casts. And you have no more animal to guard you.

>But you trust, somehow, that everything will be all right. There's always the feeling that someone's watching over you with kindness, keeping the roads clear, defending you from evil, keeping the world spinning along as it's supposed to.
>You put your trust in the city, and what it stands for, just like you put your trust in your stuffed toy.
>Just like the toy, the city loves you.
>And just like the toy...
>It will fight for you.
>>
>>46900152
But do the battles decide the fate of the people, or do the people divide the fate of the battles?
>>
I remember their being a short story in Neil Gaiman's Sandman where some cities "dream" like people do, creating a weird surreal version of the city that you could accidentally enter and get lost in forever. Near the end, a person asks that if this is the city dreaming, what happens when it wakes up?
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 480x320
>>46896774
I like the idea a prior anon had about cities possessing people in times of ultimate crisis. Maybe Halifax itself gave Vince Colman the bravery to stay at his post and save hundreds of lives?
That fucking historica minute with Colman scared the fuck out of me as a child. We saw it in class and I genuinely lost sleep over it. Everyone reading this look it up, it's only 60 seconds long
>>
>>46902050
I like the idea that they are very much one and the same. Like if in a battle a monster throws a car into a wall, people see a drunk driver crashing into the car and slamming it into the wall. Or when a monster is brought down a real world criminal is arrested.
It's literally the struggles of the city given form.
>>
>>46901959
Plenty talk about arrondissements first. And then "Paris" overspills in other départements, but same again, départements first.
>>
>>46902050
Both, as a Principality is only as powerful as the hearts of its people, but the failure of the Principality means that the monsters get in and the people get preyed upon. A city being depleted of people loses psychic power, weakening the Principality further.

Of course, a Principality empowering a select few as its agents could also act to defend the boundaries between worlds and hunt down the monsters that make it through. People who are empowered, perhaps, by a full expression of their own psychic self such as through magic, transformation, summoning, or overlaying of the spirit. Each person's spirit has different powers and functions in different ways, as is befitting them.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 500x320
>>46902034
OP here
Thanks for writing the games opening monologue
>>
>>46894557
Australia is littered in ghost towns that were horse/cattle/traffic/rail stop overs, whole mining and farm communities, fiberglass mining towns, etc.

Australia is now built on the ghosts of these towns.
>>
San Fransisco has the Emperor. He was a real person for a long time, permanently possessed by the spirit of the city.
>>
>>46902050
It could be simultaneous and one is symbolic of the other; for example, the mayor taking a bribe IS the genus loci losing an eye to the claws of Corruption.
>>
File: 33456.jpg (24 KB, 314x475) Image search: [Google]
33456.jpg
24 KB, 314x475
>>46902752
was he anything like his portrayal in this book?
>>
File: image.jpg (225 KB, 800x579) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
225 KB, 800x579
>>46902941
http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=220
>>
>>46894911
>Detroit
How the hell does Detroit look?
Like that black zombie from Land of the Dead?
>>
>be loci of Santa Fe
>have incredibly rich in history
>surrounded by beautiful and untainted land
>city is hotbed for aspiring artists
>go to party for other capitals
>see my crush, foci of Boston
>have a thing for accents
>we talk and hit it off
>take her back to my city
>sees the size of my buildings
>laughs
>calls foci of New York to pick her up
>next day hear him talking about the size of his architecture
>fucking skyscraperfags
>>
>>46903774
Detroit is dead. It's citizens collective will to live was eclipsed by their despair. The city is currently withought a guardian, hence it being so shit.
>>
>>46903958
....what about a game set up for "unclaimed" guardians/spirits working to resuscitate Detroit in hopes of claiming it as theirs once they get it working again?

players could either be a party of humans contacted by a spirit in a dream,(maintaining the story through player death due to the spirit) or a group of spirits in a pact to share the power of Detroit once it is returned to it's ancient glory
>>
File: SouthernStyleBBQ.jpg (73 KB, 647x701) Image search: [Google]
SouthernStyleBBQ.jpg
73 KB, 647x701
>>46884794
Atlanta's always run with the Phoenix imagery, mostly from the idea that the burning of the city during the Civil War allowed Atlanta to become better than it was before.
>>
>>46884794
>Paris isn't wearing a Hijab

There goes The Authority's staunch commitment to realism
>>
File: image.jpg (137 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137 KB, 960x640
>>46903958
> 1990
> New York is dead
> Somone has killed it's Loci
> Even though it was powered by the will to live of 8 million people
> Detective campaign to find who killed New York
I realize this makes no sense but I like the idea
actually it could have been Kowloon, trying to claim the city
>>
>>46896977
It is an opportunistic manipulative fuck, who will hold you around the shoulders with one arm as it reaches into your pocket and takes your wallet with the other. Its a personification that will prmice you the world, beat you senseless while laughing, and you will come back like an star struck idiot for more.

Vegas is CE or CN personified.
>>
>>46904150
Phoenixes work well as a motif for Atlanta. We've also got a lot of airports and aviation stuff down here, so flight ties into it well.
>>
Ottawa is the city that never sleeps less then the recommended eight hours a day.
>>
File: XEAY3Dv.jpg (386 KB, 780x1200) Image search: [Google]
XEAY3Dv.jpg
386 KB, 780x1200
>>46902941
Dunno.
Best portrayal is in Sandman anyway.
>>
>>46904799
by best, do you mean most accurate to life? or as in aesthetically best?

and is sandman any good, and if it is, where can I get it?
>>
>>46904255
What happens when a city "dies"? Does it just fall into anarchy?
>>
>>46904885
Best, as in best.
You can get it off Google or Amazon, depending how you feel.
And yes, Sandman is real good.
>>
>>46904968
Read original thread description
>>
>>46902034
>You abandoned it, of course.
Maybe if you're a fag. I kept mine. He guards my kid now.
>>
>>46902180
Shit, that was pretty god damned tense. Good recommendation.
>>
What would the guardian of Boston be like? For some reason I'm imagining a fiesty old woman with a thick accent and a baseball bat.
>>
> You move cities
> Old city starts sending you letters
> "why did you leave me for that slut Wichita?"
> "Remember all the fun we had at that park you like"
> " Wanna come by some time and go to your favorite burrito place?"
Unknown Armies Plot-hook
>>
>>46902180
I feel that sort of cheapens the heroism. Colman was exceptionally brave and selfless as a person, not a pawn used by Halifax. It's gets creepy when you consider the implications of a genus loci possessing a resident to sacrifice them in the name of the other residents; it becomes less about personal bravery and sacrifice and more about the self preservation of the city through the unwilling sacrifice of a pawn (remember, they're being possessed or at least supernaturally influenced).

I don't feel it would be too bad to have the City help, though. To continue using Colman/Halifax, Colman chose to sacrifice himself to save others of his own free will, but Halifax may have helped in some other way, e.g. sent the sailor by Colman rather than someone who would have simply joined the sailor in fleeing, or ensured the message got through in time, or something of that nature.
>>
>>46905584
I totally get you
However I feel that it ties into the idea of both the magical and the real representing one another.
Colman was possessed by Halifax, however it's just as accurate to say that embodied the spirit of Halifax as he did what he did. In the same way when a city defeats a monster representing gang violence it's just as true that all that happened was police arresting the gangs leader.
At least, that's my tale on it.
>>
File: Charleston_WV_skyline.jpg (70 KB, 465x158) Image search: [Google]
Charleston_WV_skyline.jpg
70 KB, 465x158
>Some writefaggery for my hometown.
>Charleston, WV. Older look man with a musket and some tomahawks.
Originally a fort named Lee, Charleston, from West Virginia, is an old man dating back all the way in the 18th Century, having been named after Col. George Clendenin's father Charles, and grew up watching over his people. As Salt Mines, Coal and Oil were found in the area, Charleston entered into a period of growth until the Civil War. During this time, he protected his people from hostile animal and native american spirits.

When the Civil War broke out, Charleston, being a cousin of Richmond and a City in Virginia, soon found himself in a conflict with the Northern Cities that he did not wish to be in. It did not last long though, as when West Virginia was made a state and joined the North after a conflict between the Northern Cities and the Cities of Virginia.

After the Civil War, Charleston found itself to be a Capitol City of West Virginia and not only protecting its' own people but managing the affairs of the other smaller cities as well. While prospering from the industry of the north, Charleston did not find much growth, especially after the events of the World Wars when salt became less in demand due to the nessessary chemicals for various things being found in other places.

Charleston currently finds himself having relatively stagnated. For as much as he grows, more people leave for other cities in other states. Not only that, but in addition to the age old spirits that he had to protect himself from, but he is also forced to protect his people from the hostile spirits of the modern day.
>>
>>46894076
>Mexico City is an asshole like the Kingpin from Daredevil, insanely corrupt and rich, but coming from a poor background and knows his way through the streets; and it's surrounded by a bunch of hitmen representing the cities in the major metropolitan area

That's a whole army.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Mexico_City
>>
>>46884794
In my setting, anything which enough people feel strongly towards acquires a conscience. Becomes the local genius loci. Three of these are cities. One of those is a major god, and even making repairs into the hydraulic power system is an act of worship. Part of the religion involving it is that the faithful citizens will be taken with the city when he ascends to paradise, for what is a city without people?

BTW, this was a thing in roman religion. Even neighborhoods and single rooms had a genius loci.
>>
File: image.jpg (246 KB, 550x1185) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
246 KB, 550x1185
This setting could lead to some cool, albeit corny dialogue. Especially when some metropolis lends a hand to a smaller city
> Toronto no-sells an attack by some small Barrie monster
> "I'm powered by the will to live of 2.6 million people"
> "Did you really think you stood a chance?"
> *violence sounds*
Also some prior anon mentioned "Rocket Man City". Is it in competition with Russia's Star City?
>>
File: image.jpg (359 KB, 1200x998) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
359 KB, 1200x998
>>46902180
His actual transmision was

"Hold up the train. Ammunition ship afire in harbor making for Pier 6 and will explode. Guess this will be my last message. Good-bye boys."

He actually left first but came back to save 300 people. Also he ensured supplies were sent as fast as possible.
Somone mentioned Boston, they sent a great many supplies as well.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4370x2383) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4370x2383
Op here
This thread may soon die, I hope it doesn't
Just in case I want to say to anyone who still has this open in one tab, thanks for contributing.
>>
>See this thread
>"Oh neat, this seems cool."
>ctrl-f "Hong Kong"
>No results

Oh come on, Anons. Where is your love for one of the premier World Cities?
Also, mental image of a Cantonese business woman with blue eyes beating the hell out of typhoon-monsters.
>>
>>46904885
>by best, do you mean most accurate to life? or as in aesthetically best?
Both. It's a good story that's also fairly respectful of him. You can always download a torrent of Sandman if you feel like it since there's a few places with the full collection of everything Sandman related uploaded. I just went ahead and bought myself a physical copy later.
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.