[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MtG Limited General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: tirelesstracker[1].jpg (46 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
tirelesstracker[1].jpg
46 KB, 265x370
Skrub edition

>How have your drafts/sealed tournaments gone now that the SOI dust has settled?
>What are your favourite colours for limited?
>Favourite cards?
>Do you prefer FNM or self-arranged limited? Why?
>Have double-faced cards had a visible impact on how drafting cards plays out?

>Draft/Sealed simulator
http://mtgmirror.com/#/

>Card search
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
someone else can post the search engine with better UI, I forgot the name

Bonus question: do you think Sealed performance is based solely on the cards you happen to unpack? A veteran at my LGS seemed to think so.

Additional bonus question: How do I stop sucking at draft? Also, having started out just few weeks ago, what things should I learn so I wouldn't induce so much cringe among veterans?
>>
Drafting soi green is king

Op pic related

Self arranged because no cheating

Makes it easier for people to know what you are drafting, which leads to more balanced drafting

Magiccards.info

No

Git gud son
>>
I Mind games the fuck out of my opponents when its pack 1 pick 4 and i still haven't taken anything that isnt a double-face card.
Play red or be dead.
>>
File: Ulvenwald+Mysteries+%5BSOI%5D.jpg (31 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Ulvenwald+Mysteries+%5BSOI%5D.jpg
31 KB, 223x311
>>46789598
>>How have your drafts/sealed tournaments gone now that the SOI dust has settled?
So far I've been in the top four in every event I played (to be fair, two of those were rather tiny and the biggest one had 24 players).
>>What are your favourite colours for limited?
White and Green
>>Favourite cards?
Ulvenwald Mysteries. It turns any stall into a win.
>>Do you prefer FNM or self-arranged limited? Why?
FNM, none of my friends play Magic. The people in the store are nice though.
>>Have double-faced cards had a visible impact on how drafting cards plays out?
I haven't tried to use it to my advantage

>Bonus question: do you think Sealed performance is based solely on the cards you happen to unpack? A veteran at my LGS seemed to think so.
A good player can win with an average pool. You can be completely fucked if your pool is really bad though (like nog having enough creatures in any two colours)
>>
>>46789598
>How do I stop sucking at draft?
By drafting more and playing more. It's the only way I'm afraid. Reading a set review might help a little
>>
File: soi competitive league 1 pool.png (1 MB, 1192x823) Image search: [Google]
soi competitive league 1 pool.png
1 MB, 1192x823
>>46789598
>Bonus question: do you think Sealed performance is based solely on the cards you happen to unpack? A veteran at my LGS seemed to think so.

It's obviously a factor, but I'd still put solving the deckbuilding puzzle correct and piloting the deck well ahead of simply opening well.

>Additional bonus question: How do I stop sucking at draft? Also, having started out just few weeks ago, what things should I learn so I wouldn't induce so much cringe among veterans?

In order of importance:
Play a lot of drafts with players better than yourself.
Reflect on your drafts and play and get critique from other players.
(a long gap)
Read and listen about limited play, both general and format specific things.

--
Here's a recent SOI sealed league from MTGO, how exactly would you have gone about it?
>>
I seem to be constantly falling into green white constantly in draft. I am doing fairly well, Mostly going for more of a green white delirium build splashing red or black sometimes.

But I seem to be drafting nothing but this. I know I am overvaluing cards a bit and forcing it. But at the same time, I have yet to do worse then 2-1(though I feel dirty about timing an opponent out who didn't know how to f6 by re-equipping the same equipment 15 times over 3 turns)
>>
>>46798167
Sorry for the shit wording
>>
>>46797168
I'm not OP, but I'd go with Red/Green; Game Trail is there, Arsonists/Hydra are good curve toppers, there's gesitblast, reduce to ashes, rabid bite for removal, some very solid middle-of-the-road cards like gloomwidow and howlpack wolf...for a decklist I'd pick:

1 Dual Shot
1 Insolent Neonate
1 Sanguinary mage
1 Sensleess Rage
1 Bloodmad vampire
1 Convicted Killer
1 Geistblast
1 Howlpack Wolf
1 Ulrich's Kindred
1 Hulking Devil
2 Gatstaf Arsonists
1 Reduce to Ashes
1 Fork In The Road (if you want to splash black for Autumnal Gloom)
1 Obsessive Skinner
1 rabid Bite
1 Veteran Cathar
1 Gloom Widow
1 Graf Mole
1 Briarbridge Patrol
1 Thornhide Wolves
1 Ulvenwald hydra
1 Wicker Witch
1 Wild-Field Scarecrow

Fork lets you splash for pretty much anything, and naya could be viable because of Village/Fork/Scarecrow.

Azorius/Esper is also possible; Open the Armory lets you play an extra Sleep Paralysis, Stitched mangler is basically Reflector mage that doesnt give them an extra ETB, Just the Wind, Gone Missing both good, Masterpiece and maybe Snapper for finishers.

How'd I do? Is that a fair analysis?
>>
File: consider_the_following.jpg (58 KB, 641x573) Image search: [Google]
consider_the_following.jpg
58 KB, 641x573
Say if you opened foil avacyn and a normal avacyn pack one, would you request to buy a new pack to draft with or take the foil and make the guy on your left happy?
Genuinely surprised that this is a thing as at my LGS we just take the card that has the highest value and pass the rest.
>>
>>46800069
My LGS has a rare pool at the end of the draft, and this issue has come up before. The guy who pulled the good pack (I think he got a Foil Nahiri and an Avacyn or something, basically he really wanted to keep it) was allowed to buy another pack and substitute it into the draft.

My stance? I think it's totally okay to sub out packs if they have a significant monetary value. It's better than just dropping, and also means that you actually get the valuable rares instead of having to give them up to the cock that read 40 different set reviews, has more time than me to play magic, and wins in the third round on bloody tiebreakers. Said cock might disagree, however, believing that he earned the rares by playing well.

Rarepooling is my own grievance and off topic, so to properly answer your question - I would request to buy a new pack, but that's because of the flaws of my LGS's systems.
>>
>>46800069
just bow out with the rest of your packs
>>
>>46800069
Take the cards and drop out like the rules let you do.

I like the idea of buying a new pack to substitute, if its drop or sub, but I have no issue dropping if the cards are worth it.
>>
>>46798194
Yeah RG was my feel too from what was on the table, with or without blue splash for the Sleep Paralysis and maybe Gone Missing. The best single card to me in the pool really is Always Watching, but I didn't think white makes a good enough main colour here.

There's some card differences in my build (definitely playing Mad Prophet and Watcher in the Web, and 17 lands).
>>
anybody drafted avacyin here?
The best I got was one of the cluelands (RB) or do we call them shadowlands?
>>
>>46800511
I wouldn't allow this with rare redrafting. Either play or drop. If you can substitute the booster you can just buy a new one whenever you pull anything over 4 euros (or whatever the local price for a booster is).
>>
>>46808073
you mean the hand lands m8?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.