[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was never really into Wharhammer - some of my old gaming buddies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
I was never really into Wharhammer - some of my old gaming buddies were, that's about it. But recently I decided it'd be interesting to get into it.

So, uh ... it's not just me, right? Warhammer has suddenly gone to shit in the last few years?

The fantasy gameline has been entirely killed off in favour of some "Age of Sigmar" bullshit, 40k has had time frozen, all the new Necron fluff is shit ...

Would it be crazy to consider filing the serial numbers off and creating a fan edition that's actually balanced and stuff? It seems like all that would be copyrighted is the actual names and specific model designs.
>>
>40k has had time frozen
Its a setting, not a metaplot.
>>
>>46776929
Didn't they used to advance? I remember hearing about tournaments that would alter the fluff for the next edition, various Tyranid fleets, and of course the Necrons all woke up just before they ran out of years in the 41st millenium.

Maybe I'm wrong though, I'm not an expert in any way.
>>
>>46776807
People need to get it out of their heads that "Warhammer 40,000" is going to enter the year 50,000 ACE. Seriously, guys, its in the freaking name. If we DO see the plot advance, all the fans are going to be screaming "Noooo! Your Age of Sigmaring 40k! Stop it!" regardless of what GW actually does.

What we really need to ask for is more tales from the past 10,000 years. I mean, more time has passed since the emperor fell than the entirety of human history up to this point. There should be waaaay more stories to tell in this Millennium before we have to move on to the next.
>>
File: 1445359811588s.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1445359811588s.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>>46777245
>>
>>46777108
They realised that was unsustainable, since they were already about 5 minutes before the start of the 42nd millennium and they couldn't really push it any further forward.
>>
>>46777245
>more time has passed since the emperor fell than the entirety of human history up to this point.
literally what?
>>
>>46777451

Good olé empie has been stuck in the golden throne for 10k years which is more than we have of recorded history
>>
>>46777451
The Horus Hersey happened in 30,000. The universe is set in 40,000. There are 10,000 years of potential lore to explore. That is more time than we currently have in recorded history in real life.
>>
>>46777631
>>46777569
I still don't understand the decision to make it 30k. That's an insane amount of time for stuff to stay the same, even in the imperium.
>>
40k as it is right now is time frozen on the tail end of the forty first millenium. It is impractical to advance the setting beyond its current point because the logical extension of most current threats (Waaagh Ghazghkull, the Tyranids, Chaos in the Eye of Terror) spells doom for humanity, not to mention that the fate of the Eldar and Tau.

>>46777695
10,000 years to stay the same is pretty ridiculous, yeah. The Tyranids, the Tau, and I *think* Ghazghkull were all discovered within a few centuries(?) of each other, while basically nothing happened for the previous thousand of them. Abbadon's first black crusade was within a millenium of the Heresy, which means if evenly spaced they happen a little more than once every thousand years, which seems implausible. The timescale (and the scale of everything else, I suppose) in the setting of 40k is kind of fucked.
>>
>>46777878
(hundred of them, my math is awful)
>>
>>46777569
>>46777631
Strap a goalpost to a cat. I mean really, when you say "The entirety of human history" you don't usually refer to recorded history only. But whatever, it's besides the point. Which is that 10 000 years really is quite small. We are about 200 000 years old, our subrace homo sapiens, that's 5%. I understand that most of the interesting shit have happened in the last 10 000 years though.
>>
>>46777878
They do refer to the late 41st and early 42nd millenia as "The Time of Ending".

Shit is getting really bad, really fast. It's been that way since like, 5th edition at least though.
>>
>>46777998
The Neolithic Revolution was around 10,000 BCE.

That's pretty much when most historians consider "civilization" as nebulous a term as that is, to have started.

Everything before that is not the purview of history, but of paleontology and anthropology.
>>
>>46778102
>not the purview of history
Which I would argue is wrong, because history deals with the study of past, not only in humans, though it is of course human centric. It is perfectly meaningful to talk about the history of the universe, for instance.
>>
>>46778139
You are wrong and dumb about history and also wrong. History in the academic sense covers the written record; otherwise it's anthropology, prehistory, etc. We have 5 to 8 thousand years of it depending what you count as 'writing'.

Yes you can talk loosely about 'the history of prehistoric man', but think about that for a second.
>>
>>46778238
I don't really see a problem with the history of prehistoric man, one refers to the ordering of events in time, the other a defined length of time. Did you go into a fit of rage when stephen hawking published his book "A brief history of time"?
>>
>>46778346
No, because he wasn't talking about the academic field of history. He was just using the world history to refer to a chronology.
>>
>>46778453
case in point, a word has different meanings, and certain phrases often mean one thing more than another.
>>
>>46778536
Yes, but "Human history" generally refers to the academic field. The study of which starts at about 10000 BCE when agriculture and villages start to appear. Before that was two hundred thousand years of hunter gatherers essentially, and that's all the jurisdiction of anthropology.

You got bent out of shape when the first anon said ten thousand years it all of human history, and he's not wrong by most definitions. By your definition he's wrong, but you're the one that originally got upset that someone was using a definition different than your own.
>>
>>46778673
>my own
It's not my personal definition of the word history, nor do I have sole authority on the phrase "the entirety of human histority". It might be my background in hard sciences which have biased me to think of it as something more than the academic field, or indeed, only "history" back to a certain point in time. I construed the meaning as such, and went on further to argue that this particularly meaning was more commonplace than the other, which makes sense considering there are far more fields than history itself, and indeed the etymology of the word itself predates any such established field limited to the neolithic origin as you say.
>>
>>46778803
Nah, he's right, you're wrong. You fucked up the definition of history. Move on.
>>
>>46778903
So you accept feminists redefining oppression to only be something males can do? Because feminists are self-proclaimed experts on oppression?
>>
>>46779008
>projecting this hard
>>
>>46779008

Wow, that's a mighty long reach, there. Your autism is flaring something fierce.
>>
File: Apocalypseknight.jpg (147 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Apocalypseknight.jpg
147 KB, 800x600
>>46776807
>Gets back on WH
>Instantly decides Necron fluff is shit
You're smart. I like you.

Also sisters still won't get new codex, nids were fucked by new codex, and speishh marines in bigger speissch marines, is a thing now in case you missed it all.
>>
>>46776807
You're right OP, GW hates their customers and their products are sold on brand name alone now. The quality is shit. The codexes used to be worth buying because of the artwork, fluff, and updates to your army. Now, instead of new artwork they just have pictures of the $hit you need to buy, the fluff is shit, and the "update" is just power creep to get people to keep buying to stay relevant.

Also: Space Marines. If you don't play one of the 10,000 flavors of space marines then your army only exists so that space marines can beat you.

"Fuck you"
-Games Workshop

Play a different game. Literally any game made by any other company.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.