[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeons and Dragons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8
So i'm the DM of a new D&D game starting up next weekend and the campaign will be set in a desert continent known as Zaru'gesh.

Any tips for a noob DM, ideas for npcs or general cool desert-esque stories/encounters?

pic related, one of many pics I plan to use as npc portraits.
>>
Exotic caravans, harem girls and oasis paradises are a must.
>>
File: 3193_m_louise_de_hem.jpg (117 KB, 822x1000) Image search: [Google]
3193_m_louise_de_hem.jpg
117 KB, 822x1000
>>46766616
epic suggestions, i'm writin this shiet down
>>
>>46766553
Water generally being the most important thing ever. The last time I played in a desert game, the entire country was ruled by "water barons" who more or less had complete control of the few natural springs and other bodies of water in the area and were constantly trying to take eachother out to gain control of their rival's holdings.

Also, if it's a setting where magic exists, gotta have a fortress/palace/city in the middle of a region that's constantly torn apart by sandstorms, which of course are a magical form of defense to keep people out when the secret order of desert assassins doesn't want anyone finding out they exist.
>>
File: money-man-2018453.jpg (204 KB, 957x1300) Image search: [Google]
money-man-2018453.jpg
204 KB, 957x1300
>>46766707
>>
>>46766553
Al-Qadim: A Dozen and One adventures
>>
>>46766553
Give them a faux Petra built in a canyon
>>
>>46766553
The Sultan of the country is a kind man, but the local Vizier is looking to usurp his power. He plans to achieve it by marrying the Sultan's daughter, yet the girl is madly in love with a simple street thief. Shenanigans ensue.
>>
Sphinx riddles.

Scorpions.

Chariot archers.

Depending on magic levels, sailboats which fly just barely touching the sand, driven by wind. In our game, these ships were made of airwood, which was lighter than air and was a difficult to produce resource which ensured ships stayed very valuable.

Snake-people.

Ancient temples to the moon.

Creepy biblical salt fields.

Rumors of a secret oasis more bountiful than a thousand palaces.

Giant fucking statues. Just fucking giant sculptures. Get some scale in there. The age of these will depend on your setting.

Nomadic cannibals.

Defend a caravan from Raiders sent by the prince of thieves.

Den of the prince of thieves should be an incredible town hidden away somewhere, defended by magical sandstorms or desert mirages that can only be navigated by those who know the secrets.

Prince of thieves needs xyz, raids caravans for xyz, gains a bad reputation. Is actually using xyz to help an oppressed population being abused by an evil trade prince/water baron/slave lord.

Quicksand.

Virgin sacrifice for predictions and other types of future-telling.

Matriarchal assassin cult patronized by competing merchant princes/whatever for thousands of years.

Cats as a familiar/symbol of wizards and witches
>>
>>46766553
Perhaps have one kingdom of mortals ruled by a mummy lord or dry lich, who keeps his undead nature a secret. He gained his position as ruler in the past by being the only one not in need of water to survive, and gradually took control of the largely water-based economy.
>>
>>46766896
Maybe he's actually open about his undead-ness, and other nations think it's weird, but his own people are mostly cool with it. He isn't particularly good or evil, any more so than a typical shrewd ruler is.
>>
>>46766837
>the local vizier is doing everything he can to cockblock the marriage of the princess to a thief-turned-noble
>the general public thinks that it's because the vizier wants to marry her and become the next sultan
>in reality the vizier has discovered that the thief's newfound wealth comes from a particularly wicked Efreet
>said Efreet is know for betraying his clients
>vizier doesn't want a walking time bomb in the capital
>>
File: Astrosphinx.jpg (56 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Astrosphinx.jpg
56 KB, 300x300
>>46766553

Water elementals used as mobile waterskins

Armor making resist elements rolls more difficult

Sphinx, astrosphinx (Evil, non-sensical sphinxes, although the last stat-block I could find was 2nd edition ADnD spelljammer.)

Blue + Brown Dragons are other BBEG's.

The worms from dune.
>>
>>46766948
Bad things happen if you try to drink a water weird. I can only imagine what would happen if someone tried to drink a water elemental.
>>
File: 1460344845726.jpg (51 KB, 400x572) Image search: [Google]
1460344845726.jpg
51 KB, 400x572
Every post has been helpful & thought provoking. This was my first post ever on /tg/. I'll definitely return here often.
>>
File: DeathWurm.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
DeathWurm.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
>>46766553
>>
File: Lady Desert.jpg (13 KB, 250x386) Image search: [Google]
Lady Desert.jpg
13 KB, 250x386
>>
>>46767028
shamelessly saved
>>
File: Chick Genie.jpg (77 KB, 736x1033) Image search: [Google]
Chick Genie.jpg
77 KB, 736x1033
>>46767028
>>
>>46766920
I like this version better.

Idiot princess, clueless thief Prince messing with Shit he don't understand, ignorant populous, utterly inhuman djinn and an over worked, underappreciated, distrusted wizard vizer trying to hold the nation together
>>
Noob DM?

Don't be disheartened, do your best, try not to rail road, always expect the worst, never plan anything PCs will fuck plans to a bloody pulp and try and make things fun for everyone.

Good luck.

Nubile slave girls.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.