[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting started in W40k
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
So I've been playing the W40K: Dawn Of War games for a couple of years REALLY enjoying them and the lore. The thing is now that I've been interested in the W40K "board game" for a while but I have no idea how to actually start.

If you could answer some of my questions it would really be helpful
1. Do I have to get the codex/rule book or can I pirate these? (Mainly just to get started with reading)
2. I really love the Adepta Sororitas and the Blood Ravens, can I put them in the same army?
3.When I paint them, can I make them different? Let's say I make a blood raven army, could I make some units battleworn?
4. Are there stupid broken armies like in the videogames?
>>
>>46764930
>1. Do I have to get the codex/rule book or can I pirate these? (Mainly just to get started with reading)
I dont know about all of them but you can find most of their books online. Just google for "(your faction) codex pdf"

>2. I really love the Adepta Sororitas and the Blood Ravens, can I put them in the same army?
Just do it. With unbound you can field pretty much everything and even if you want to play the more civilised way you can just get an allied detachment.

>3.When I paint them, can I make them different? Let's say I make a blood raven army, could I make some units battleworn?
Follow your dreams.

4. Are there stupid broken armies like in the videogames?
Yes but people who play them outside of tourneys can choose to play them like "the guy" or not.
Simply dont play against faggots who just play to win.
>>
>>46764930
1. Yes, here's a resource of all of them :http://wh40klib.ru/codex/actually_codex_and_rule/

2. Yes, Allied detachment. Read the rulebooks for more information on this.

3. Of course

4. Yes. This is a matter of dispute, but most people point to the same few armies.

Further resource: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics
>>
File: Stay a while and listen.png (271 KB, 640x250) Image search: [Google]
Stay a while and listen.png
271 KB, 640x250
>>46764930
>1) Yes you can, however buying the book is also nice, I own more codexes than armies its nice to have solid material rather than PDF's
>2) Sororitas are the most underloved faction they dont even have a proper codex thier army models are all old outdated,
^ that being said you can play them many people do on the casual level, they are just the smallest faction played, and sure tag team them with blood-ravens they aren't really "official" but you can make your own legion and pick a "parent legion to use their rules"
>3) Painting them how you want is literally the best part of the hobby goes bananas
>4) like in Dawn o'war eldar are a bit string atm, still easily beaten, space marines are top tier as well,
Just be prepared to loose your first handful of games, you always learn more loosing than winning,
Any questions?
>>
>>46765044
>>46765048
>>46765088
Many thanks guys! :D
Another question:
If I buy used units online, is there anything I should be vary of?
>>
>>46765044
>>46765048
>>46765088
This is why TG is the best board
No BS just people helping people
>>
>>46765118
>No BS just people helping people
I was really shocked, I'm an 8 years old fag on /b/, really weird feeling
>>
>>46764930

Man you're a fucking idiot and you ask stupid fucking questions. And calling it a board game makes me want to slap you.

Anyway, on to your questions:

1. You can pirate them, but be smart about it when bringing them to game stores. Put them on your phone and say you bought the digital ones. They're almost never worth spending money on unless you have excess money to waste or prefer the convenience of flipping through a paper book.

2. Yes, you can. They're both Imperium armies so they ally very easily. Sisters of Battle have very old and expensive models though, GW hasn't supported them with new models in many years.

3. Yes, you can paint your models however you want.

4. Yes, there are. Blood Ravens are one of them, so don't worry. Necrons, Daemons, Imperial Knights, Adeptus Mechanicus, Space Marines, Tau, and Eldar are the best armies.
>>
>>46764930
board game usually refers to games in boxes, tabletop game is what people call warhammer
1.feel perfectly free to pirate pdfs to your hearts content. https://mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!ddAxALZD
2.Yep, with a few restrictions ie, you need at least one commander for each group and at least one unit of generic soldiers for the smaller group
3.You can paint them pink and with rainbows if you damn well please
4.Yes, but if you play with people who aren't cunts that's not a real issue. Tau and eldar are generally considered to be overpowered at this point.

For further questions I'd head over to the 40k general thread.
>>
>>46765109
>If I buy used units online, is there anything I should be vary of?

Just look at the photos to see if they are damaged or built poorly. Metal models are easiest to remove paint from, and super glue can be separated but plastic glue can't without cutting the model apart. Don't buy from Hong Kong, China, or Russian Federation from eBay as they are counterfeit models of lower quality.

If you want cheap counterfeit models, you can get them from better Chinese counterfeiters, but that's just more annoyance on /tg/ since we always get newfags begging for help buying those.
>>
>>46765109
If you buy unofficial Chinese re-casters are meh here and there they sometimes do a good job,
I have never had an issue with an independent game store being mad about them but actual GW employees can loose their jobs for allowing unlicensed shit,
If you buy from the GW website things are expensive, but if there is a problem, ANY problem, they will fix your shit fast and thoroughly, I have had fine cast models replaced by them cause they were warped or chipped in shipping A+ tier customer care
>>
>>46765109
You'll probably need to remove the paint on them, there is a cleaning supply called simple green that does it incredibly well. Toss em in for a day or two and go at them with an old toothbrush and it falls off.

Make sure you're getting the right unit size and the models aren't missing pieces.

Fair warning soriatas are old, very underpowered, and have ancient miniatures. Consider looking into 3rd party proxy miniatures such as raging heros and other similar companies (although they tend to lean a bit cheesecake)
>>
File: 1359410359700.jpg (34 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
1359410359700.jpg
34 KB, 680x510
>>46765130
>>46765129
>>46765118
Then theres this fucking guy
>>
>>46765147
>>46765154
Thank you guys, the thing is living in Sweden the prices are bumped up even further than normal... >>46765131
>tabletop game is what people call warhammer
I wasn't too sure what to call them, now I know
>>
>>46765180
Thought he was ironic, let's hope he was.
>>
>>46765109
Find the 40K general thread it has all the codex's for every edition, you'll have to download the SoB codex because it never got a physical release.

Be warned though that SoB are all metal and pretty shit on the table so make them your allied detachment to the Marines and not the other way around.
>>
>>46765208
Roger that, I will look for the thread.

Feels bad to see Adepta Sororitas not getting love, probably my favorite army :(

Let's say /thread, OP is pleased ^^
>>
>>46765180

I have finger Tourette's, pls no bully you fucking faglord
>>
>>46765187
>Sweden

That explains a lot.

Also keep in mind GW has a stupid policy where they don't allow countries to ship to other countries, otherwise every country would buy GW models only from the United Kingdom, because GW makes models cheaper for their home country.

So you should either use eBay mostly or find a good online store that ships to Sweden that gives you 20% off or higher. That way you don't have to pay GW's higher prices, but sometimes you don't have a choice.
>>
>>46765297
For Sisters he will have to get them from GW, as they are webstore exclusive. Blood Ravens are fine though.
>>
>>46765345
An Adepta Sororitas squad is like $80, just how bad is that?
>>
>>46765365
Pretty bad, especially as they are all monopose and look like drag queens. In comparison a multipose plastic guard squad is $30. As people stated earlier, Sisters have outdated models and bad prices, but don't let that stop you if it is what you really want. Also Raging Heroes is releasing a bunch of their own sisters, but those are in a slightly different style.
>>
>>46765365
Awful honestly. Other companies sell groups of 10 metal miniatures for 25 bucks that are almost indebatabibly better sculpts.

GW is notorious for obscene pricing,
>>
Fellow noob reporting here, need some advice

I want to build imperial guards, but the officio assassinorum stuff looks kinda cool. Can you actually run the assassinorum alongside the ig in normal/tournament games? Or do you need special rules for that, which won't show up in a competitive scene?
>>
>>46765384
>look like drag queens
Yeah, zooming in on them makes me want to wait for better times...
Do we know if there are any new models coming?
>>
>>46765461
Nothing more concrete than a "maybe", which is probably a "no".
>>
>>46765461
It is more likely that they will outright kill the faction and stop selling anything than realeasing new models. As I said, you can get the Raging Heroes figures, or just play a different faction if the price turns you off. Also Chinese knock offs are pretty economicle in this situation, as you can get squads for $10 each if you want. There is always Infinity which has its own battle nuns.
>>
>>46765444
That is what they are meant to be used for actually. Assasins are generally worked in as an allied detachment for Imperial factions. Tournaments usually allow that stuff in my experience. Also checked.
>>
>>46765559
>>46765555

And for creating blood ravens, are there blood raven units or do I sculpt the armour myself? Like the raven insignia on thier chest
>>
>>46765593
much obliged, based anon
>>
>>46765600
Meant shoulder***
>>
>>46765600
They don't sell should pads. You can print out some transfer though which makes the process easy. They can be found pretty easily online, and printed out on a sheet of Testor's transfer paper and applied with some water and vinegar.
>>
>>46765345

Buy Raging Heroes Sisters of Eternal Mercy.
>>
>>46765680
google tells me they are a different game, would these be allowed in w40k game play?
>>
>>46765792
if you're not playing at a GW store than most likely yes
>>
>>46765792

I don't think it's even a game, it's just a line of miniatures to be used with 40k. Most third party models are meant to be used as 40k models and don't actually have rules.

RH might have said something about developing a ruleset for their models, but let's be real, the entire company was built to make not-40k models. Their earliest models were just sexier Daemonettes, female Commissars, and Dark Elves/Eldar.
>>
Aight guys :)
I'm off to work, gonna hit up the GW store later to ask questions and maybe see some games.

Many thanks all the help was much appreciated
>>
>>46765990
Another Slave to Darkness....
>>
>>46766074
I miss that book
>>
OP, in case you still read that

The exorcist kit comes with enough SoB bling that you can buy a space marine rhino and turn it into a SoB rhino as well as making the very usefull exorcist tank.

There is one Blood Ravens model, the Librarian from the Deathwatch game, rules are free online. If you do not want the whole Deathwatch box try finding it on ebay.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.