[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your game preferences?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: c4rd4r7_dWoR0p9ecE.jpg (235 KB, 750x450) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_dWoR0p9ecE.jpg
235 KB, 750x450
So /tg/ I'm building a fantasy pulp action RPG. Most likely fantasy. Wanted to ask a few things:

> Would you be interested in a tactical med-crunch RPG with narrative character creation?
> How do you feel about noneuropean myth? Indian? Chinese? Mesopotamian?
> Are you more ok with narrative mechanics if there are ingame justifications for the mechanics, and they are decisions you could make in character? (Ex. There are no metagame points, but all characters can access 'ki/mana/magic'.)
> What are your thoughts on separate social/physical resources? Social combat systems in general?
> How do you feel about abstracted wealth/inventory? Partially/optionally abstracted wealth/inventory?
> Do you find addition or subtraction easier on the fly?
> What do you feel about not knowing /exactly/ how much damage your character can take?
> What is the stupidest mechanic you have ever seen in a game?
>>
>>46753938
I think that if you manage to come up with a basic rule system that isn't a poor copy of D&D's Strength-Dex-Con-Int-Wis-Cha model, you're already ahead of 99% of fantasy heartbreakers.
>>
>>46754025
The system core is pretty hammered out. I'm just collecting info.

You have 3 attributes - mind, body and voice. You also pick adjectives to specialize. So you could pick "agile" for body or "wise" for mind. The idea is that your stats serve as a catch-all fallback so you aren't screwed for picking situational adjectives.
>>
File: 1460796088017.jpg (113 KB, 549x188) Image search: [Google]
1460796088017.jpg
113 KB, 549x188
>>46753938
>> Would you be interested in a tactical med-crunch RPG with narrative character creation?
No.

>> How do you feel about noneuropean myth? Indian? Chinese? Mesopotamian?
Not interested. Well, kinda in the Indian (if you mean Hindu), but not really. I've never seen those done well.

>> Are you more ok with narrative mechanics if there are ingame justifications for the mechanics, and they are decisions you could make in character? (Ex. There are no metagame points, but all characters can access 'ki/mana/magic'.)
Yes, as long as there's a symmetry between the player's narrative stuff and the character's actual stuff. I hate abstract narrative metagarbage like fate points.

>> What are your thoughts on separate social/physical resources? Social combat systems in general?
Never seen them done in a way that doesn't hamstring the player or become completely optional (and therefore useless).

>> How do you feel about abstracted wealth/inventory? Partially/optionally abstracted wealth/inventory?
Not a fan.

>> Do you find addition or subtraction easier on the fly?
Addition. Everyone does.

>> What do you feel about not knowing /exactly/ how much damage your character can take?
Fine with me.

>> What is the stupidest mechanic you have ever seen in a game?
GM Intrusions in Numenera.
>>
>>46754743
Thanks! What games do you like/play?
>>
>>46753938
>med-crunch RPG

What is med-crunch? How much crunch does that translate to? Your medium crunch could be someone's to much crunch and another person's not enough. Define med-crunch.
>>
>>46754917

More than dungeon world, less than DND 4e. In the range of Legends of the Wulin.
>>
>>46753938
> Would you be interested in a tactical med-crunch RPG with narrative character creation?
I like abstracted stuff, with tactics coming from creativity instead of grids. Narrative character creation is my love though.
Chinese and Japanese kind of intrigue me.
> Are you more ok with narrative mechanics if there are ingame justifications for the mechanics, and they are decisions you could make in character? (Ex. There are no metagame points, but all characters can access 'ki/mana/magic'.)
I have no problem with meta gameplay mechanics, as long as they are not too disruptive. In-game reasons always better.
> What are your thoughts on separate social/physical resources? Social combat systems in general?
Social combat is interesting conceptually, but I suck at it in general due to my unsocial nature. I feel social-mental-physical combat should all work within similar parameters.
> How do you feel about abstracted wealth/inventory? Partially/optionally abstracted wealth/inventory?
Ehh... I am really anal about inventory distribution. Abstracted inventory is my pet peeve.
Subtraction, actually.
> What do you feel about not knowing /exactly/ how much damage your character can take?
Don't feel it is important. In a real fight you don't know exactly how much damage you're actually doing, so why should you in a game.
Can't think of any right now.
>>
>>46753938

Yes. Sounds similar to savage worlds which is my favorite system.

It's fine as long as the world is fun/interesting.

I have no problem with this.

> What are your thoughts on separate social/physical resources?

Not sure what you mean by this.

>Social combat systems in general?

I feel like stuff like this can be RP'd with maybe a few skill/stat rolls. It couldn't hurt to have it as an optional rule though.

Not a huge fan of it. But, one again, it couldn't hurt to have it as an optional rule.

While niether are particularly hard I prefer addition.

I've never seen something like this before but it's fine as long as it's good.

The wealth stress track in the fate system toolkit.
>>
>>46755363
The current design is gridless but range banded. So there is 'adjacent', 'nearby', 'far' etc.

>>46755561
An example would be having cash that you use to buy things and influence that you use as social currency to call in favours or get things.

So far as damage, here is a bit more info. You have a "hp limit" that defines how much you can take safely. If you take damage over your limit, you are in overflow. Every time you get hit, you have to make a check and beat the amount you are in overflow by. So you have a rough idea, but not exactly.
>>
>>46753938
>Would you be interested in a tactical med-crunch RPG with narrative character creation?
A who the what now?

I dig Mesopotamian myth. Indian myth (by which assume you're mainly referring to the forerunner of modern Hinduism) doesn't interest me. I like the setting oppotunities of the Chinese idea of a parallel divine world but otherwise it's take it or leave it for me.

Yes.

They're good.

No strong feelings one way or the other.

Subtraction

Fine, as long it's described consistently.

Vancian casting
Feat taxes
Random movement distances
Complete mandatory random character generation.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.