[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else here think mental stats like intelligence, charisma
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: Arrrr.jpg (57 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Arrrr.jpg
57 KB, 960x720
Does anyone else here think mental stats like intelligence, charisma and wisdom should be renamed?

I get that they represent part of a character's fundamental ability to solve problems and suppas challenges. But they're way too tied into personality as opposed to dexterity and strength.

I'd like to see Intelligence be replaced with something like knowledge or magic, it sounds dorky I know but just like strength, knowledge is something you have to train to have a lot of, whereas intelligence is much more static.

I'm sick of not being able to make fighters without them having to be retarded.
>>
>>46727154
Have you considered not playing D&D?
>>
>>46727165
I'm pretty new to p&p rpg but based on how prevalent mental stats are in video games I assumed that they would be prevalent in other p&p rpgs as well.

What system would recommend instead?
>>
>>46727154
I'm with you on Knowledge instead of Intelligence; Knowledge is a thing that your character has or doesn't have, like Strength, but Intelligence gets mixed up with the intelligence of the player, which always gets taken personally. Also, there are lots of different types of intelligence and ways to be intelligent, which interferes with abstracting it down into a number.

Wisdom could be Awareness. Again, Awareness is a thing that your character has or doesn't have; you can't be aware for your character, because the GM will either give you information or won't.

All that said, this is basically just renaming the statistics and keeping the functionality. It doesn't really matter how the game itself applies these terms as long as the people in a given group have basically the same concept for them.
>>
How about
>Reason
>Intuition
>Self
>>
>>46727199
I advise trying out as many disparate types as you can and figure out what works for you. At least give them a read.
>>
>>46727923
This. Our group only plays three games (5e, Cypher System, and L5R), but we're all versed in several more.
>>
>>46727923
I would advise him to try a session of Rifts. He can hate me later.
>>
>>46727154
As long as you don't dump intelligence, you'll be fine. INT 10 is average, which means your character isn't stupid.
>>
>>46727154
>knowledge is something you have to train to have a lot of, whereas intelligence is much more static

Which is why knowledge, often cut apart into smaller bits, ends up as a skill or some such, while intelligence is the base stat.

>I'm sick of not being able to make fighters without them having to be retarded.

That one's on you, from min-max tendencies to not being able to figure out how to roleplay someone who isn't terrible bright, without being a retard in daily life.
>>
Most systems that are not DnD have decent mental and social attributes.
Look into L5R and WoD
>>
>>46727972
I played that as a kid, I don't remember having trouble playing it. Granted, shit was ridiculous but I don't think it's the systems fault entirely.
>>
>>46727154
Personally I would just remove them and leave it up to roleplay.
>>
>>46727154
You are not your character. You guide your character, but ultimately it's him who does the knowing or talking.

>I'm sick of not being able to make fighters without them having to be retarded.
DnD is shit.
>>
>>46728114
Well you can't really just roleplay your spell DCs and saving throws away, so you need the numbers game the same on that end. Invalidating a number of skills also shouldn't be done lightly either. But it can work, sure.
>>
Im mad. Like with any playing pretend game, change that shit! Especially if its not/only minorly mechanical, refluff the fuck out of it.

Fucking rules autists ITS NOT WRITTEN IN MY BOOK THOUGH
>>
>>46729885
Show me on the action figure where the bad rules lawyer touched you.
>>
>>46729901
Here, the area labeled /tg/
>>
>>46727154
Then don't min-max mate.

Give your fighter 10 int, wis, and cha.

bam. He's not a retard. He;s just not super humanly charismatic, wise, or intelligent.
>>
>>46730172
More importantly, he can have common sense and tactical insight and other attributes that isn't reflected in his stats. Good roleplaying can reflect them in other ways.
>>
>>46730236
It's almost like those things are based off your characters experiences than anything else
>>
>>46730172
What if it wanted to play a really smart fighter?
>>
Ego, Superego, Id
>>
>>46730261
Contemplate an Eldritch Knight with evocations?
>>
>>46730261
What if you wanted to play a really strong wizard?

Just make an intelligent fighter, you can.
>>
>>46730261
then put more points into int pal

This isn't rocket science.
>>
>>46730389
if you're playing a class that is mechanically mediocre/shit then you will probably have a bad time if you spread around your stats like that
>>
>>46730420
Have you tried not playing DnD or Pathfinder?

Try Savage Worlds.
>>
>>46730261
Play a Magus then.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.