[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be the BEG [Quest] Chapter 22
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 1
File: Blackknight.png (29 KB, 330x287) Image search: [Google]
Blackknight.png
29 KB, 330x287
Morgan steps back, wiping her forehead with her black lace sleeve, and setting a bottle of disinfectant down on the small table covered in surgical tools. It rests beside soiled scalpels, pincers, and other things you cannot name. You watch nervously as she pulls off her gloves, and leans in to press her ear to Sophia's chest.

"Her heartbeat is stressed, but within expected range. I'll have to stay beside her for a few more hours, to expediate the reproduction of healthy blood, but I would say that the procedure was a complete success. I even impress myself."

Morgan rises up and turns around to see you. She curtsies, nodding her head and causing her hair, tied back into a tail to keep it from falling into the incision, to roll over her shoulder.

"I thank you for your patience and trust. If you'd like to see the proof of my concern, please approach this table." She stands upright, and motions toward the table full of soiled tools. You approach, and look closely at them. All of the ones she used to examine Sophia's innards are covered in a strange, dark and gelatinous substance. It reeks of rot.

"That might have killed both mother and child without my careful hand at removing it. But I can promise now that it will not affect the gestation."

You turn to Morgan and see a smiling, proud face. Almost smug, really.

>"Thank you, Morgan. I won't forget what you've done."
>"Very good. I must return to my work, so make absolutely sure nothing bad happens here."
>"Wipe that smirk away. You work for me now, which means you've a great deal left to do."
>Other

Previously: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/46838831/
Twitter: @BBEG_Questman
>>
>>46857981
>>
>>46857981
>>
>>46858034
Morgan bows her head gracefully, and takes up a seat beside Sophia's sleeping form. Morgan rests a gentle hand on Sophia's chest, and closes her eyes. Your trained eyes can see the flow of magical energy from the hand to Sophia's heart. This must be what she meant by helping with blood recovery. You take your leave, turning on one heel and making for the door. Once in the hall, you order the two Hellraiser guards to make sure nothing disturbs the two of them, and to inform you if anything even remotely unusual occurs. They salute, and you head on your way.

While Sophia is mending, you need to begin planning for your next move. With the strength and resources of a true world power at your fingertips, any time spent dallying will seem like lethargy. The people of Solaris are huddled together like sheep, with phalanx faced outward in fear. Far to the south, the Fire Pinion rests in an unknown location. Vanessa is soon to be mutilated for the sake of her own happiness. And your office needs a bad dusting.

>See to the invasion of Solaris
>See to the investigation of the Fire Pinion
>See to the rescue of Vanessa
>Hire a maid
>Other
>>
>>46858307
>>See to the rescue of Vanessa
>>Hire a maid
>>
>>46858307
>See to the invasion of Solaris
>>
>>46858307
>invasion of solaris
>gotta get a maid
>>
>>46858399
You tell Duncan to kidnap a decent maid from the city, and then tell the staff to begin making preparations for the push to Invade Solaris. This includes getting more weapons up and running, supplying and organizing the caravans, establishing a supply route, and salting some pork.

It takes about a month to get things lined up just right, and by then the troops are eager and excited to march. Before heading out, you are summoned by Sophia. Her therapy has been going well, and she is able to walk with some help. Now she is demanding to be by your side during the war, to nurture your child on the honor and glory of battle. Leaving her means leaving Morgan as well, but taking her puts her in danger, though she will be greatly joyed to be part of the group.

>Leave Sophia
>Take Sophia
>>
>>46858622
>Take her and Morgan

She's a general of our army correct? She won't be on the direct front lines and we can always aid her.
>>
>>46858622

>>46858678
this
>>
>>46858622
>>Take Sophia
>>
>>46858622
>>46858819
hey, qm haven't read up on the ending of last thread, but there was a majority vote to put a spell on sophia, so she can call us to her, or we can summon ourselfs to her or know if she's in danger, did anything of the sort happen

Take sophia, Make sure she is by our side.
Morgan also
>>
>>46858678
You have a cart readied for Sophia and Morgan, and mount up to begin the long march.

The new roads leading to and through former Theonite territory make things quite quick and easy as far as they take you, and you are in the capitol by the end of the week. There, you resupply, and allow the troops a night of rest and safety before the bloodshed. You also pick up a few hundred Theonite troops, just to round out the numbers. Once things are ready, you depart

>Take the roads, speeding your travel but making you easy to track
>Stay away from roads, making your pace slower, tiring your men, and risking injury, but making it extremely hard to predict your movement

>>46858886
Alright, let's say Gilbert slapped a pair of runes on you to let you teleport to her, and her to you. Only works once per application though
>>
>>46858999
>Stay away from roads, making your pace slower, tiring your men, and risking injury, but making it extremely hard to predict your movement

As I once read, your not fit to survive to survive combat if you can't survive the wild.
>>
>>46858999
No pain no gain.
>>
>>46859046
Once out of your own territory, you steer your warband away from the worn roads to the Solari nation, preferring the tactical advantage of the wild to the safety and speed of the path.

Your men suffer through grueling marches across the rocky, hilly terrain of Solaris. On top of the fatigue of the march, and the somewhat barren countryside devoid of common fruit and game, the hills of Solaris are home to venomous serpents and cunning cougars that often cause casualties either directly or indirectly.

By the time you reach the first major town, having left a few farming and trading settlements behind you, your men have been cut down to four fifths of what you began with. The men left are exhausted, but the stores of the city will be overflowing with food and drink.

>Pillage the city
>Take over without overdue violence
>Lay waste
>Other
>>
>>46859341
>Take over without overdue violence

We're here to take shit, not burn a path. Encircle the town so nobody can leave until we do so.
>>
>>46859341
we need to get food,and a situational awareness going on.

>scout around the city
>Make sure we aren't being lured into a trap.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

>>46859370
>>46859404
>>
>>46859370
You order the men to surround the town from a distance, and then make their way closer little by little. For the first few hours or the approach, there is nothing from within the town. But once your forces are within range, a loose hail of arrows begins arcing up from the rooftops, falling down and hitting several dozen of your men. From your safe distance, you cannot know how many are injured or dead, but you must assume the worst. Sophia, resting calmly at your right hand in her straw and cushioned chair, advises charging before the troops lose their nerve.

>Order a charge
>Order a retreat
>Keep the current pace
>Other
>>
>>46859541
>>Order a charge
>>
>>46859541
>Keep the current pace

Its to get us to charge because they most likely have traps set up for us to run blindly into.

WE NEVER GOT COMMSIARS DID WE?
>>
>>46859576
The only officer in your entire army is Marigold. The rest of them are nameless mooks who live to get exploded, melted, poisoned, beaten up, stabbed, decapitated, disembowled, and sometimes violated. I don't even track the numbers beyond a sliding scale of "A shitload" to "Barely any"
>>
>>46859565
>>46859576
ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS SCOUT

>Charge with a portion of the troops., have them know its to lure out any potential ambush.

>the portion that isnt charging istasked with disabling the ambush
>>
>>46859619
we need to found a Commisar Corp after this, It takes a brave man to face the enemy but a braver man to retreat in the face of one.

>>46859626
>Scouting
SENSE WHEN DID MINIONS HAVE RIGHTS?!
>>
>>46859619
God damn we need to actually make a fucking military out of these damn idiots.
>>
>>46859687
>>46859619

actually do we have a standing 'army' or are we one of those medieval kingdoms that let them go back to the farms?
>>
>>46859732
You force all adults except for those who's parents died during war to enlist. The good news is, after this current four year term is up, you'll be losing a shit ton of seasoned veterans and gaining a shit ton of PTSD ridden, tough as nails workers and farmers
>>
>>46859541
If the army is disceplined enough to
>keep the current pace
then they should, otherwise
>order charge
>>
>>46859780
I think we have difference ideas of 'good' OP. However we'll most likely need to keep a few in to ensure that the next wave of recruits aren't cowards, while setting up a proper military academy
>>
>>46859626
>>46859565
You signal for the front line to charge in, ready to engage in skirmish with whatever forces might emerge, while the rear guard keep the pace to prepare to reinforce them. You watch carefully, not noticing the tense hand that comes to rest on your arm as you stand atop the hill where you observe from.

Far below and away, the troops make it to the town. You hear a faint din of steel, and then see many of them turn and flee. You ask Duncan to hand you your spyglass, which you unfold and peer through to spot the trouble.

The out perimeter of the town is protected from cavalry charge by steel horses, spikes poised to impale any eager horseman. But more pressingly dangerous is are the units of unarmored crossbowmen, lined in a tight formation, and filling your lightly armored men with bolts. Those who make it through the steel horses and barrage of bolts are met with the blades and spearheads of the town guard, who ambush and overwhelm the scattered minions.

>Retreat
>Full charge
>Send one of the heavy hitters
>Other
>>
>>46859931
>Other
We have no time for this, Bring me my cannon we will make an example of those who stand in our bath. Or...some other massive explosive magic/weapon.
>>
>>46859931
>>Retreat
Look at Sophia. So it seems we need an army instead of men,
>>
>>46859931
from a tactical standpoint,
we're fucked. Who do we have with us?

otherwise we might need to do an alexander the great and charge in ourselfs.
>>
>>46859979
If we withdrawal now then we will be chased down by the horses most likely. But ya, we really do need a more properly trained military force.
>>
>>46859931
>Send one of the heavy hitters
Time to show them what for it means to be
>>
>>46859931
>>46859971
>>46859980
>>46859979

I SEE, how to win this.

>Fake an all out charge, with our heavily armoured units, they will be used as a distraction for a volley fire on the enemy unarmored crossbowman.

After 1-2 volleys, their crowssbowmen, will have lost effectiveness and we can rain down hell on them.
>>
>>46859980
>>46860037
You look to the nametags, and rub your chin as you try to decide on who to send in.

Legion is your most prominent killer now, but he has no sense of self control. His hunger for souls makes him hard to control from a distance.

Marigold brings with her the Hellraisers. They are organized and disciplined, but they are often misguided in their desire to serve your interests.

Duncan and Kyle are not very effective in large scale combat, but they can commit acts of sabotage and misdirection.

Morgan is untested.

Caitlyn can wield powerful destruction magic, but she is a shameless coward.

>Caitlyn
>Legion
>Duncan and Kyle
>Marigold and the Hellraisers
>Morgan
>Other
>>
>>46860230
>>Marigold and the Hellraisers
>>
>>46860230
>caitlyn, marigold and the hellraisers.

Cailtyn to disable the crossbowmen, the hellraisers to make a opening.
>>
>>46860230
>No survivors for once, Make them pay but be careful.
>>
>>46860230
and send in Morgan, to test her
>>
>>46860362
she's assisting sophia and our future BEG CHILD.
I'm pretty sure we cant risk her.
>>
>>46860230
>Caitlyn
>>
>>46860293
You summon the Hellraisers, and give them the order to reinforce the troops on the ground. With luck, seeing them will embolden the flagging footmen.

Marigold dons her horns and leads the cavalry down the hill and toward the town, brandishing her bow all the while. You watch as they round the outside of the town, evading arrows, until coming to one of the entrances where they dance around the steel horses and fire shafts into the unarmored crossbowmen. The troops near them are indeed more courageous with them at the head of the attack, and regroup for another charge. The town begins to waver as the defenders fall back and out of sight.

Suddenly, there is a signal from you rear. You turn and peer down the other side of the hill to see not one but three large units of armored cavalry charging through your ranks with lances leveled, impaling or running off the surprised reserve forces.

>Order a spear wall
>Order a flanking
>Retreat toward the town
>other
>>
>>46860579
>Order a spear wall

Standard anti-cavalry routine. Pity we don't have halberds.
>>
>>46860579
everything could've been circumvented if you just scouted before you attack blindly as i suggested.

>Signal the retreat make a warcamp, to discuss tactics, this was pathetic. we're wasting lives.
>>
>>46860579
oh god this is going badly
>>
Rolled 2 (1d2)

>>46860681
>>46860769
>>
>>46860769
You sound a full retreat. The troops pick up, and begin fleeing away form the city and the charging horsemen. The Hellraisers take more than a few minutes to meet with you, and the troops attacking the town take nearly three times the length of time. All the while your outer forces are harried by riders, cut down by the score with each passing charge.

Eventually the Hellraisers are able to meet them in melee and drive them off, giving you time to retreat to safety, but by nightfall your troops are exhausted and decimated. Those that did not route are collapsed or dead, leaving very few with the strength to help make camp. It takes until sunrise to fortify the area, at which point you summon your advisors to your tent to discuss the next move.

Marigold and the Hellraisers took substantial damage during the battle, but Morgan has patched them up, leaving nothing but scars to remember the conflict. As their representative, Marigold stands before you alongside Duncan, Legion, Caitlyn, and Sophia.

They all nervously await your assessment of the battle.

>"That was a disgrace."
>"I think we can all agree, that could have gone better."
>"What's important is that we learn from this."
>Other
>>
>>46861152
Pull back to our territory and train up until we have AN ACTUAL FUCKING ARMY.
>>
>>46861152
and that we learn from it
>>
>>46861152
>"What's important is that we learn from this."

Then voting with Sleepy >>46861170
>>
>>46861197
>>46861170
>>46861180
>>46861152

>i think we can all agree that posters need to scout before attacking blindly and afterwards blaming our army for their mistakes.

>that was a disgrace, i was overconfident and arrogant and it costed us alot of lives.

>what have we learned?
>>
>>46861260
>Implying this was not part of the grand-over reaching plot to take the kingdom.

Its almost like you have no faith anon.
>>
>>46861260
>being this mad
calm down dude
>>
>>46861260
Except we don't have an army. Just minions and peasants pressed into service. Numbers count but so does having a professionally trained and equipped men with proper tactics and strategy.
>>
>>46861197
You try to cut the tension by reminding the group that regret will earn you nothing, but reflection will show you where you went wrong. They seem to agree. You also admit that you came to this unprepared, expecting the same level of preparation as the previous two nations, not thinking that they must have been studying your tactics and capabilities. This also makes the group feel a bit better.

You inform them that for the time being, you will return to safe lands and regroup, this time sure to come in with a proper plan to counter the Solari defense.

"With all due respect, my dark lord, retreating will only make us look weak in the eyes of the Solari," says Marigold, clenching a fist in determination. "We must return to the line and quickly, before word spreads of this defeat."

"No, I need time to gather more information on our enemy, as I should have to begin with," explains Duncan, earning Marigold's discontent.

"My Lo-" begins Sophia, but something catches her throat and she begins again after a small cough, "My lord, I believe retreat is a good choice. Theon fought the Solari for many generations, and we might find some there who can inform us of a weakness."

"Their flesh is their weakness," comments Legion, "We need only regroup, and this time, obliterate the defenders before they can mount a defense. Leave nothing but charred corpses and bloodstains."

The group begins quarreling amongst themselves, shouting back and forth across the floor. You bring them to order, but it's clear they are all torn on the right course of action. It's left for you to make the final decision.

>Retreat to the fortress
>Retreat to the capitol
>Remain here and rest
>Attack the town again
>Other
>>
>>46861488
>>Retreat to the fortress
>>
>>46861488
>Retreat to the nearest fortress or town/defendable position.

I like Legions approach but we don't have enough of him for that shite.
>>
>>46861488
>Retreat to the fortress
>Other
Is it possible to start a professional army to supplement the drafted men? Then could the men who want to continue their service enlist and become officers
>>
>>46861588
I know how we build an army, We must start them young. We must take the first male of every family for training in Spartan programs to ensure we have quality troops, any mages get sent too... Gilbert?
>>
>>46861588
You order a full retreat, back to the fortress and as far from the Solari as possible. Marigold and Legion are displeased, but the others accept and agree with your choice, rushing to get things organized.

The trek back is fraught with hardship. The normal perils of the countryside are ever present, but now you are harassed by guerilla attacks from the native people, picking off stray groups of scouts and foragers when they leave the strength of the band. By the time you are within Theonite lands, you are at almost three fourths the strength you began at, including the injured.

You rest for a time, then make your way back to the fortress proper. Not wanting to waste a moment, you immediately begin drawing up plans to strengthen the military by paying a wage for career soldiers, fewer in number but greater in combat strength and coordination. You also take the time to begin them on studying a new discipline.

>Swordplay
>Heavy armor
>Advanced spearfighting
> Advanced shield use
>Other
>>
>>46862003
>>Heavy armor
With a dash of spear and shield. They will be the rock enemies break themselves on.
>>
>>46862003
>Heavy armor
>Advance shield/spear with Sword as a weapon when Spears are no longer effective in close range.

I forget what ancient empire did this, Either Roman or Sparta, maybe the greeks?
>>
>>46862003
did we ever get morgan to look into the goo for us?
>>
>>46862188
She's been busy
>>
>>46862114
With fewer men to outfit, you can comfortably ask the armorers to begin forging more protective pieces for the troops. They develop a suit that includes protection for the entire torso, forearms, lower legs, and sturdier helmets that cover the full face. While they are busy filling your orders, you start the troops on strength training and stamina building programs to ready them for the new weight that will be added to their bodies come time.

While the troops prepare, you have some time to kill.

>Train
>Spend time with Sophia
>Train the troops personally
>Learn to play the guitar
>other
>>
>>46862365
>Spend time with Sophia
>>
>>46862365
>Train ourselves infront of them as a moral booster.
>>
>>46862183
The Romans did that to a certain extent.
Their legionnaires threw their spears first and then got in formation for stabby and shieldy killing. This tactic only worked well on open fields and due to the fact that the Romans suddendly started to remember that there were a bunch of other unit types than just PHALANX ALL DAY ERRY DAY like the Greeks after Alexander.

A decent Roman army consisted of skirmishers which harrased the enemy army before the battle started, the legonnaires which held the center, light cav that skirmished on the flanks of a battle and various other support elements like bowmen, slingers, sometimes heavy cav and so on.
>>
>>46862365
>>Train the troops personally
See if any have the makings of a strategist.
>>
>>46862404
Thank you good sir, that is helpful.

>>46862365
Can we also order bowmen/crossbow men/women?
>>
>>46862365
>Learn to play the ukulele
>>
>>46862365
Train them personally and spend some time with Sophia if there is some left.

>>46862413
I think we need more mid rank officers which would allow the troops to react more dynamically.

>>46862445
You're welcome. I like talking about military history
>>
>>46862498
>ukulele
Only real instruments here, please
>>
>>46862365
>Spend time with Marigold
Have we been fucking her lately? She needs a pick me up after her sub par performance.
>>
>>46862413
You spend time with the troops, personally organizing them into proper ranks and units, and coaching them on their training. With your attention divided so much, you can't get in close with any one of them, but seeing you standing above them, squatting and thrusting like a god of gains, is enough to drive them to push their own limits.

After many sweaty, steamy, grunt filled afternoons of lifting and windsprints, you whip the men into a proper, if not amazing, army. You begin assigning some of them to be sergeants, captains, and majors.

>Promote based on strength
>Promote based on cunning
>Promote based on effort
>Promote based on courage
>Promote based on coolest name
>Other
>>
>>46862675
>>Promote based on cunning
>>Promote based on effort
Those who put the most into this will reap the most rewards as well as those who look beyond just one battle to the entire war.
>>
>>46862675
>Promote based on effort
>>
>>46862675
Why are we not using guerrilla warfare against a force that outnumber us? Limit their ability to field troops. Sack villages and farms. Destroy supply trains. Magical nukes on arms factory. Turn the Hellraisers into actual hell raisers.
>>
>>46862712
You promote a few officers based on the drive to succeed, and the cleverness to outwit opponents. The choices do no immediately inspire the many troops passed over for the opportunity, but you stick to your guns.

Finally, things are starting to look up again. The men are drilled and oiled, but you feel they could still improve.

>Begin marching, don't waste time
>Keep training

>>46862918
But you outnumber them.
>>
>>46862959
>>Keep training
>>
>>46862918
Magical nukes... I like you.

>>46862959
>Train them harder

We must become stronger, better and faster. Also can we raise another group to be light armored bowmen/skimrishers?
>>
>>46862675
>Promote based on effort
>Coolest names and unique talents are a bonus
>>
>>46862959
>Keep training
>Ask Duncan on the status of the Solaris

Information is key in conflict!
>>
>>46863151
You decide to remain in the fortress through the winter, and continue training the troops. Meanwhile, you consult Duncan on the Solari movements.

"Word of our retreat has inspired several thousand new enlisted men, eager to fight for their homeland. The noble houses are drinking themselves stupid, patting one another on the back for orchestrating the plan that repelled us. But we have hope. Without a battle in the near future, the passion ignited in the masses will cool. Especially with the harsh winter approaching. Unfortunately, my network is stretched thin. If we want more reliable information through the winter season, Kyle and I will need to go personally, and see to the gathering of information."

>Approve
>Refuse
>Other
>>
>>46863222
>>Refuse
Remember the last time the two of went out somewhere? You got captured by Shen and Kyle disappeared only to be found in a caravan later. When we get closer you will scout the enemy.
>>
>>46863222
>Other
Sounds like you kids need to train more skilled people.
>>
>>46863293
Backing. The winter seems like a nice pause to reinforce our troops. Hit them again after. Like the tides of a shoreline calming just before a tsunami devastates the country side.
>>
>>46863378
You tell Duncan to remain at the fortress, and focus on training himself and Kyle while they have the time. He understands, and gets right to work.

Fall takes its leave, and makes way for the first snow of the season. Sophia watches the fall with somber contentment, wrapped in a shawl to fight the chill penetrating the fortress. The Hellraisers take the chance to do some training for snowy conditions, and Duncan teaches Kyle to move undetected through the white powder.

You hear word from your ex and Janet, who inform you that the plan will be ready to go into effect soon. All they need is the right moment.

Eventually, as the winter enters its deepest point, you are approached by Kyle. He meets you in the hall, dressed in his training attire, and seems torn on something.

"My dark lord, I have something to ask. I know you wished my to train under Duncan, and I appreciate everything he's taught me, but if I'm being honest I don't much care for the art of subterfuge. If you don't mind, I'd like to learn the sword, like you. I'd feel much more useful if I could use a proper weapon."

Approving this change would mean losing a talented spy. But Kyle does seem earnest in his desire.

>Approve
>Deny
>>
>>46863496
>Deny
" The sharpest blade is the one that is not seen coming Kyle, Your training is already giving you the sharpest sword. "
>>
>>46863496
Fine but you are FIRST AND FOREMOST a spy. Your abilities and talents are too useful in that context for you to simply throw them away simply to swing a hunk of iron around. But I do agree it is better for you to learn how to defend your self better.
>>
>>46863496
>>Deny
Did I ever talk to you about my ex-wife? A real beauty she is. Care to guess what her job is? Being the motherfucking queen of hell. She did that through cunning and subterfuge. Manipulation of people through the information she gained. There are ways to bend people to your will without the need of a sword. I will teach you enough to defend yourself. However if you want to conquer your enemies completely then you should stay on your path.
>>
>>46863496
>Approve
Kyle needs to become more versatile, if he learns the sword then he can do even more damage with subterfuge and things like getting beat up by some adventurer aren't going to happen again
>>
>>46863670
Hate to lose him a second time
>>
>>46863496
>Approve
But he's still to be aiding Duncan for the meanwhile
>>
>>46863548
Kyle seems quite disappointed. He might have bet on your desire to see yourself in him, or perhaps your personal distaste for backstabbing, but either way he is surprised to hear of your disapproval. Though it shows on his face, he does not speak of it, only swallowing his sadness and accepting his fate.

"I understand, my dark lord. I will throw myself into my training, for the good of the business." He bows, and scampers away to continue his training.

As winter draws to a close, you visit Sophia in the medical wing for her weekly examination. Her stomach now bulges significantly. In a mere two months, the baby will be due, and her glow has become increasingly warm as the day draws closer.

Today, Morgan bends at the foot of Sophia's bed, ducked beneath a sheet as Sophia's legs are held aloft by two wooden stirrups. Seeing you enter, Sophia burns fierce red and covers her face with the sheet over her body.

"My lord! Please, don't look on me in such a shameful state!"

>"I've seen worse."
>"I've come to hear the good news."
>Give them a minute
>Other
>>
>>46863857
>>"I've seen worse."
Teasing her a bit.
>>"I've come to hear the good news."
>>
>>46863857
>"I've seen worse."
>"I've come to hear the good news."
>>
>>46863871
You assure Sophia that you've seen a lot more shameful things in your long life. It doesn't make her feel better.

You approach the bed and ask Morgan for any news she might have about the child. She pulls herself out from under the sheet, pulls off her gloves, and lets her hair bun out. She shakes her hair out while wiping her forehead, and finally smiles warmly at you.

"Everything seems to be in good order. Heartbeat, movement, and size are all about right. You're lucky you chose such a well maintained babymaker though, a weaker woman would never have lasted this long, after all this punishment."

You look to Sophia. Her face betrays a hurt feeling, though she attempts to hide it. You're not sure what it is that's bothering her though.

>"Sophia is not merely a womb. She is a valued companion."
>"Sophia is not merely a womb. She is my lover."
>"Sophia is stronger than any woman I've known."
>"I'm grateful for her dedication. I couldn't ask for a more loyal underling."
>Silence
>Other
>>
>>46864118
>>"Sophia is not merely a womb. She is a valued companion."
Also is fun teasing her.
>>
>>46864118
>"Sophia is not merely a womb. She is my lover."
>>
>>46864118
>"Sophia is stronger than any woman I've known and a valued companion"

lets not say lover yet, we still have issues with the EX.
>>
>>46864181
Sophia seems to cheer up the moment you make this statement.

"At any rate, I think it's best my lady remains here under supervision for the remainder of the gestation. This is the period that is most crucial for the development of the child." You agree, though Sophia seems less than excited to have to spend another long period bedridden.

After the visit, you are brought a message directly from Duncan by one of the troops. You open it, and read the contents. Apparently, a sizeable regiment of Solari troops was spotted moving near the border, but the snow has covered their tracks. They are imagined to have been traveling south, and have not engaged in any hostile action. Something about this seems fishy.

>Order troops to remain on watch
>Send troops to track them
>Pull back the extended forces
>Other
>>
>>46864467
>Pull back the extended forces

That's bait to get us to over-commit. He who protects everythings, keeps nothing.
>>
>>46864467
>>Pull back the extended forces
Reinforce the idea we are scared of fighting at the moment.
>>
>>46864467
>Other

Ask our nurse to send a few ravens for us to gather info.
But the extended forces on high alert.
>>
>>46864577
>>46864467
Do this.
>>
>>46864506
You order the minion to take down and send a message, letting the forces near the Theon/Solari border to know to fall back to safer locations, not wanting to fall for another lure by the Solari army.

As you send the minion off, Morgan asks to speak to you in the hall, in private. You follow her, shutting the door behind you. Outside, she clears her throat and looks up to you with a look of pride and satisfaction.

"My study of the slimes has already proven fruitful. I've managed to breed one of them that controlled the test mouse to solve simple puzzles. But that's more a limit of the mouse than the slime. It may take some time to produce more 'impressive' results, unless of course you permit me to begin moving to human testing. There will be a few casualties, or course. Magic isn't an exact science."

>"Very well, round up a few subjects."
>"No, continue as you are."
>Other
>>
>>46864868
>"No, continue as you are."
Stick to small scale until we understand it fully. Then implement a fail safe. Only then move onto human trials.
>>
>>46864868
>"Very well, round up a few subjects."
Prisoners of course or homeless.
>>
>>46864868
>>"No, continue as you are."
>>
>>46864897
You do not allow Morgan to move on to human tests. She is disappointed, but not entirely saddened.

"I suppose I'll just have to continue making those mice fight each other for meals. Woe is me."

The winter comes to an end, and with the child nearly arrived, and the snows melting enough to make way for a full fledged army to march through the lowlands, things begin to pick up once more. The troops are much more organized after the few extra months, and the chain of command is well established. Duncan sets out to stretch his spy network once more, and the other are eager to get back out into the field.

>Begin marching for Solaris once more
>Wait until more information can be gathered
>Other
>>
>>46865259
>Start march in a few weeks to ensure weather stay stable, so Duncan can collect his information and time it perfectly.
>>
>>46865302
backing this. Also prepare someone to act as general in our stead should shit cross over with when we need to go save our daughter.
>>
>>46865391
You hold off on operations for a while longer, giving Duncan and Kyle enough time to gather any immediately pertinent information before setting out. The two of them leave to drag in the nets, leaving you with the task of choosing one of your people to act as second in command.

This choice will almost literally effect the rest of your career.

>Sophia
>Marigold
>Legion
>Other
>>
>>46865614
>>Sophia
She was a General. About the only one I'd actually trust to lead people in anything more than a skirmish.
>>
>>46865614
>Sophia

Marigold is too insane and not clam enough
Legion is uncontrollable without us nearby.
>>
>>46865662
You let all know that in the case of your absence, field command should fall to Sophia, until you are able to return to your place as commander. The pressure of this new decision is hard on Sophia, who is simultaneously grateful and nervous about managing your armies, but you assure her you do not make such a decision lightly.

Before you can organize a second warband to march for Solaris, you are informed by Duncan's spies that the Solari are already on the move. During the long winter, they used your absence around the borderlands to move a large number of troops south, around Theon territory, and have made their way out of the southern mountains. They are mere days away from the fortress proper.

>Organize a counter attack
>Raise defenses
>Dispatch a party to intercept them
>Other
>>
>>46865866
>Raise defenses
>Dispatch a party to intercept them in the middle of night, Burning/raising hell/ect.
>>
>>46865866
>>Raise defenses
>>Dispatch a party to intercept them
>>
>>46865866
>Raise defenses

>Dispatch a party to intercept them
Time to hit and run their asses near constantly.
>>
>>46865975
You begin organizing a defense, arming the walls with bows and setting up traps around the area of the fortress. While the troops handle that, you must select who to send out to meet the enemy.

>The Hellraisers
>Duncan and Kyle
>Legion
>Normal Troops
>>
>>46866436
>>Legion
He can just kill everything.
>>
>>46866436
>Legion

Pretty much his kind of mess.
>>
>>46866436
>Legion with orders of retreating if things go bad, his more important alive.
>>
>>46866495
You assign Legion the task. He is utterly delighted to finally have a chance to unleash his full power, after having consumed over three thousand souls.

He armors himself, takes a mount, and rides south. As he gallops through the great wooden gate of the fortress, illuminated by the sunrise, you recall the Paladin Cruz, and how he cut the same figure long ago, in the time before your life as an overlord begun.

Back then, you were both younger. You had just slain your teacher in cold blood, out of fear of another matching your skill at the sword. Cruz had tried to defend him, but experience was the deciding factor, and the boy ran away with his head bowed in shame. It was a good day.
>>
Gotta leave early, gonna spend time with the child.

Thanks to everyone who read, and lurked today, please come back next week! As a side note, I might try something different tomorrow or next week, since I've had a slight itch to run a more science-fictiony quest. I'll mention it on the twitter if I decide to try it out!
>>
>>46866872
have a good one OP and see you tomorrow, Thanks for the run!
>>
>>46866872
Thanks for the run boss!
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.