[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Yugioh dying? If so, what needs to change?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 12
File: SkillDrain-TF04-JP-VG.jpg (130 KB, 544x544) Image search: [Google]
SkillDrain-TF04-JP-VG.jpg
130 KB, 544x544
Is Yugioh dying? If so, what needs to change?
>>
>>46724371
>Is Yugioh dying?
Oh god I hope so.
> If so, what needs to change?
Change? as far as I'm concerned this should be celebrated, I mean, I uncorked the champagne and everything!
>>
>>46724371
It's power curve, it's less a curve than a fat man climbing a moving escalator with a pogostick.
>>
>>46724371

Stop making shitty, ugly new archetypes with retarded themes and power creeping to hell and back and start supporting older archetypes like X-Sabers and shit.

Blackwings are a close example, but Blue Eyes, HERO, and Monarchs are the best successful examples.

Why are zombies dead? Why are warriors dead? Why are generic types that aren't archetypes dead? Why are harpies (even after more support)/amazonness/toons, etc dead.

Focus on those instead of making stupid mermail firefist shaddoll whatever the new stupid shit is.
>>
>>46724371
It needs to embrace the retarded anime of a card game it is
it's still treating itself semi-seriously which is a large miss step
>>
>>46724371
if they did like mtg and added oldfag friendly formats more people that are coming back to the game after a decade would actually stay instead of leaving because the community is shit
>>
Make standard & modern formats like mtg so they don't have to print more overpowered bullshit to keep the new sets selling.
>>
>>46725716
They have different formats, but they're not accepted at all even though they really should be. In fact, most of the main playerbase hates to acknowledge that there are other formats like traditional, and call anyone who doesn't try to keep up with the meta a casual who doesn't know how to play.

The game needs to go back before the Duelist Alliance set. That was the biggest jump in powercreep since Invasion of Chaos, which was a long fucking time ago. The amount of floating and advantage that started to get generated so easily was ridiculous with DUEA. Shaddolls, Yang Zing, and Burning Abyss all floated and generated advantage while doing so. Shaddolls had to be absolutely murdered by the banlist and BA are still relevant to this day. Yang Zing never did too much, but they basically beat out most decks that came before them. It's like a gatekeeper deck.

After that, pendulums ramped it up even more, especially with Qlis. Qlis also had to be absolutely murdered. Konami has a bad habit of making an OP deck to sell it, just so they can gut it later to promote something else. Nekroz also follows this same vain. They keep ramping up the powercreep with each set, and the biggest leap was probably at DUEA. Dragon Rulers before this was an insanely big leap, but DUEA spread it and kicked it up to 11.
>>
File: 1440029801848.jpg (40 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1440029801848.jpg
40 KB, 625x626
>>46724371
>Is Yugioh dying?
no
but nice bait I see that a lot of salty magicfags respond to it
>>
Yugioh will probably keep chugging along until people stop watching the new anime they keep turning out. The power creep is real though.
>>
>>46728501
This.

Always more kids to nab.
>>
It's still the best selling trading card game worldwide, so I'm gonna say no.
>>
>>46724371
Nope. I dont get why magic players are so mad at it in the first place. Magic will always be more prevalent, and its not like YuGiOh completely copies mechanics and steals players.
>>
>>46730260
Magicucks can't stand the idea of someone liking something they don't like, and not liking something they do instead.
>>
>>46724560
>Why are zombies dead?

Oh so you don't actually know what you're talking about, zombies are fucking OP as shit with shiranui and omega turbo builds.
>>
>>46728320
I just find it funny when young nerds grow from one game to another, they think it is a sign of maturity to hate on the thing they have moved away from. They can't just move on to something new they now prefer, they need to yell it on the mountains so everyone can now know they are "cool now."
Of course, cool would be just playing your new game or whatever and not even talking about what they moved away from. But, they aren't "cool" (as in the mind set of being level headed and somewhat confident in who you are) so they act like hot heads instead.
>>
It's not dying. The current combination of nostagia pandering and releasing and supporting the new themes and mechanics is workning pretty damn well. Konami, especially the TCG branch, needs to have more contact with thei customers though. Actual competent players should share neat deck concept and combos like how they do in the OCG with deck recipes and such. Also set dates for the banlists.
>>
>>46730319
The closest zombies get to OP currently is Erebus.
>>
>>46730362
>he's never had to start his first turn with 1 card, knowing that your opponent will have game next turn
>>
>>46730382
Shiranui are a pet deck.
>>
>>46730416
True, but triple omega + trishula is no joke.
>>
>>46730441
Synchro spam can accomplish that too. Too bad Maxx "C" and other hand traps exist.
>>
>>46730464
>synchro spam
yeah that's what shinarui are.

>I'll always have the out!
>>
File: TradeIn-LCJW-EN-UR-1E.png (800 KB, 450x654) Image search: [Google]
TradeIn-LCJW-EN-UR-1E.png
800 KB, 450x654
>>46724371
It's about as dead as an improperly closed wound: It will keep busting open but the retard who keeps sealing it will only keep it sealed for so long. People will jump the shark when their favorite deck gets banned to shit or when they realize the vicious schedule Konami works upon to push forward new stuff. But thanks to the anime appealing to younger audiences, you're going to have little kids who want to be just like [relevant protagonist] and get into the game, building a deck with whatever they pull and trade while holding a mystification with whatever cards [relevant protagonist] uses.

That said, it would be super nice if Konami tried to actually push generic support that can avoid being busted as fuck (i.e. pic related) so that themes other than the hottest memes (i.e. Kozmo) can flourish, at least semi-competitively.
>>
>>46730476
I was referring to Junk Doppel Synchro spam.
>>
>>46730531
>he thinks trade in isn't broken
>he thinks any deck other than blue-eyes will use it

Scrub confirmed.
>>
>>46724371
The game needs a complete rework/rebalance/reboot

it's been going on for too long, also it was ruined with synchros and xyz
>>
>>46730535
Junk doppel is dead, we have zombies, speedroids and resonators now.
>>
>>46730573
Sorry mate, but I'm pretty sure OPs question was for people who know what they're talking about.
>>
>>46730596
Those types of summoning made the game move far too quickly
>>
File: ??????????.gif (74 KB, 782x543) Image search: [Google]
??????????.gif
74 KB, 782x543
>>46730555
Way to misinterpret what I said anon

I'm saying that it's arguably generic enough to have use in something that abuses Lv8 stuff, so decks that use those as part of it's theme will use that. If there were, say, generic warrior support to the likes of Trade-In, that would be absolutely dandy.

besides, when you pit it against the shit Nekroz could do, drawing two simple cards was about as tame as it could get.
>>
>>46730531
>it would be super nice if Konami tried to actually push generic support that can avoid being busted as fuck
I do like when Konami does generic support. Hell, there new Dark Magician support has some solid generic spellcaster support in it that makes one of my petdecks slightly less shit.
One of these days I'll get enough spellcaster support to the point where I can run Fortune Ladies and get wins. One of these days.
>>
>>46730617
And? Speed is what makes this game so fun to play.
>>
File: 1459100267495.png (92 KB, 503x257) Image search: [Google]
1459100267495.png
92 KB, 503x257
>>46724371
Is this our daily reminder that yu gi oh outsells magic?
>>
>>46730617
No, if you're going to complain about something ruining it you should complain about virtually everything these days either floating, generating advantage like crazy or both.

Even then, they didn't ruin anything, they changed the speed of the game which in my opinion made it more enjoyable since I enjoy the speed the game can play at compared to other card games.
>>
>>46730704
>>46730690
So then why not have 20 card decks? it would fit the meta since synchros much better, obviously some mill decks wouldn't be able to exist though
>>
File: 1449966567364.webm (3 MB, 564x386) Image search: [Google]
1449966567364.webm
3 MB, 564x386
>>46730719
Because then a maxx "C" deckout would be far less impressive.
>>
>>46730751
Dang. Ante'd right the fuck up, smooth.

What program are people still running. I dropped out when YGOpro stopped updating and made you get an account to mess with stuff.
I'd love to see new cards and mess with decks again.
>>
>>46730337
yes but I personally I wouldn’t use the term grow as much as change from one game to another.
I also see in threads like these magicfags that have never played another game but are so insecure about their game that they say that any game is bad for the crime of not being MtG

>>46730698
thanks anon
>>
>>46724371
Not in the "people aren't playing it as much" sense, but in the "this is pretty much unplayable without an in" sense. How to solve it? We go back in time to GX era and we stop them from making archetypes
>>
>>46733143
>I dropped out when YGOpro stopped updating and made you get an account to mess with stuff.
I'm pretty sure you don't need an account for shit with YGOpro and I'm pretty sure it's the most updated program, either it or Salvation would be, but Salvation is pretty dead so you would have better luck getting games with YGOpro if you were playing online.

>>46733278
>not liking archetypes
Archetypes are a perfectly fine idea, the problem only arises when they're really insular and can't really make use of things that aren't part of their archetype.

I personally think that they're pretty alright right now, I mean, one of the best decks at the moment just kind of throws a bunch of different archetypes in a deck and murders your shit with rank 3 bullshit.
>>
>>46733143
YGOPro doesn't need an account and is updated all the way to the newest leaks.
>>
>my spirit deck will never get wins
Why even live
>>
>>46733826
I think they're missing some new Pendelums like Odd Eyes Phantom.
>>
File: 3095.jpg (53 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
3095.jpg
53 KB, 416x416
Konami should endevour to make all archetypes equally broken and fast and not just three of them.

What I think needs to change is that there needs to be more support for older Archetypes, like Skull Servant.
>>
>>46736477
My colored comrade
>>
>>46724371
ur mom is dying

I'm so sorry
>>
File: ojama power!.jpg (107 KB, 544x544) Image search: [Google]
ojama power!.jpg
107 KB, 544x544
>>46736477
i would murder a man for more pic related support
>>
>>46737977

I remember using ojama trio in my burn deck.

I think I even made an ojama deck on one of those online YGO sites before inzektors made me stop giving a shit.
>>
>>46733826
>>46733555
I mean that it had an auto-update system that was amazing and just added all the new stuff whenever they programmed it in. Now you login to their website to get the latest patches. just lame.
>>
>>46739118
Mine still auto-updates, I haven't gone to the website since I downloaded it.
>>
>>46739156
You're very lucky. I may try and re-download it soon. I still have my deck folder saved.
>>
>>46733196
>the crime of not being MtG

I laughed harder than I should have
>>
>>46733143
Are you sure you're not thinking of DEVpro? You need an account for that, but not YGOpro.
>>
>>46740683
No, YGOpro was expressly better than Devpro. Maybe it was just a few updates a while back, but it was enough to cause my friends and I to drop it.

Maybe we were all imagining it or had some similar technical problem, but it was dumb.
>>
http://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/33915/top-collectible-games-fall-2015

MTG is still king
YGO ain't going nowhere
PKM up there

-

>I play Vanguard, Paini DBZ, and older tcg/ccgs I get for cheap.

Makes things more interesting when meeting up with friends to play.
>>
>>46740960
I've had YGOpro for a few years now, and I've never had to use an account or download updates manually.
>>
>>46740992
>in the U.S

Wow, magic sells better in the 1 country that actually plays it, good job.
>>
>>46741011
granted this was probably 2013-2014 sometime, but I promise it happened.
>>
>>46741061
Vender metrics and sales are heavily influenced by retail sales, and pokemon/yugioh are absolutely kings of those markets.

Card games are considered children's toys in asia, not competitive game pieces. The Japanese games are going to sell much better because they are targeted at children. Odds are, if you are reading this, you are older than the demographic that drives the global card game industry.

M:tG is the only game that has decent competitive options, but that doesn't have enough of an impact to drive more walmart sales than yugioh.
>>
>>46743492
Oh, and all of this is why any discussion of Yugioh "dying" is pretty fucking ignorant. Yugioh wasn't ever alive if you think having a good competitive scene is what makes a game relevant. Yugioh is a franchise-driven impulse purchase product that uses tournaments as marketing tools. People will still crack boxes for the newest competitive archetype and little jimmy will still beg mommy for packs at the checkout lane. Yugioh is alive and well and going nowhere.
>>
>>46743576
You really can't even compare Yugioh and MtG, they are completely different types of products. MtG cards are designed primarily as game pieces, while Yugioh cards are primarily designed as kids' toys. As such, Yugioh has a much wider and much less niche target audience. Comparing MtG to Yugioh is essentially the same thing as comparing Chess Sets to Action Figures.
>>
>>46740556
The way MtG players talk about Yugioh is essentially the same as the way DoTA players talk about League.
>>
>>46743878
True.
>>
>>46728501
It is a toy commercial after all.
>>
File: thearchetypenooneaskedfor.jpg (114 KB, 720x536) Image search: [Google]
thearchetypenooneaskedfor.jpg
114 KB, 720x536
https://ygorganization.com/v-jump-june-2016-collectors-pack/

>cyber angels printed

THE TIME HAS COME AND SO HAVE I
>>
>>46743492
MtG is also targeted at children, it is a trading card game. Adults are not supposed to play trading card games.
>>
>>46743878
>How dare you like that 'digimon' copy cat! My Pokemon are much better and OBVIOUSLY the original when compared to your 'digital' monster stuff. I heard they even use cards to rip off even MORE shows!

Both MtG and YGO are okay games. Structured differently and have expanded to be two very different games. It's hard to build a board in YGO anymore. The game has evolved to a very different state than what it was a long time ago.
>mfw my Gemini Warrior deck got #rekt when elemental heroes came out
>>
>>46748404
probably why some people are pushing goat format for nostalgia boner and other yugioh formats like speed duels.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NyjFMds1Emt2_j6K8lXLycFSKImNxaczwq_f5ZTa9ic/edit?pref=2&pli=1#bookmark=id.nh7zzkr8o70w
>>
>>46748297
>no cartoon
>no manga
>no TV ads after school
>marketed as a lifestyle
>organized play targeted toward adults

Yea no. M:tG might attract children, but their core demographic is clearly people who have finished school. Yugioh has a lot more pull with kids that are in school.
>>
>>46748607
Trading card games are for children.
>>
>>46748617
Everything you see on /tg/ is for children.
>>
>>46747613
Woah, what the fuck.
About fucking time Konami.
>>
>>46748683
ikr? took em a decade.
>>
>>46749018
Looking at the revealed cards it's really making me want to see how a Melodious/Cyber Angel deck could work. It would probably end up badly, but depending on the rest of the Cyber Angel stuff there's a chance it could be solid enough as a pet deck.
>>
>>46749181
looks like konami is pushing rituals. at least now i can finish her character deck.
>>
>>46749294
The fact that it's a ritual focus does make me doubt my ability to run Melodious/CA due to Melodious already needing a decent amount of space for its core cards, but at the same time between Benten and the ritual I would be able to set up a board easier, and Dakini would allow me to have another strong monster in my deck which is always a helpful thing.

Also both decks are cute girls, which is always a good thing and reason enough to see if I can make them work.
>>
>>46749355
it should work fine, more synergy than cyber tutus at least. light/fairy support stronk. too bad gateway to chaos needs black luster and/or gaia to work instead of something with better synergy, otherwise cyber angels would be insane. lighten the load might help.

at least the ritual card has a secondary effect in the grave.
>>
>>46749355
also this
>>
>>46726408
>They have different formats, but they're not accepted at all even though they really should be. In fact, most of the main playerbase hates to acknowledge that there are other formats like traditional, and call anyone who doesn't try to keep up with the meta a casual who doesn't know how to play.
dis = tru
>>
>>46749862
The only problem with Saffira is that I would need to run Hymn of Light alongside Machine Angel Ritual.

Maybe I'll look into making the base of the deck later on, I'm not sure if I'll want to make use of Melodious' stalling abilities or go for a more offensive one. I think based on the currently revealed cards I'm leaning towards lock with CA as a win condition, maybe I'll also throw an Athena or two into the deck as well.

It's really been quite some time since I've been this excited for deckbuilding in YGO, this is a great card reveal.
>>
>>46751051
Just run ARA
>>
>>46751071
you need normal monsters of the same level for ARA. i guess you could use gaia so you can use gateway to chaos to search for rituals and have gaia for rit fodder anyway.
>>
File: 177289[1].jpg (54 KB, 311x450) Image search: [Google]
177289[1].jpg
54 KB, 311x450
>>46751421
>you need normal monsters of the same level for ARA
Not too hard

ARA only needs the total level to be exact anyways
>>
Question. If I tribute summon a monster and someone uses solemn warning, does the tribute material still go to the graveyard or does it never get tributed?
>>
>>46753008
It goes to the graveyard.
>>
>>46724371
Improve the artwork.
Improve graphic design for the card.
Remove all the useless bullshit and just make it about cards.
Overhaul errata and provide keyword abilities.
Stop churning out new creature types and focus on the ones that exist.
Hire a better team to do your animes.
>>
>>46736477
>"Uh, Mildred dear, do I have something on my face?"
>>
>>46753008
Tributing is a cost
>>
>>46737977
I just had silly idea
>CHANGE OJAMA ONE!
Yes I think mixing the Ojamas with Getter Robo would be a good idea. No I do not know why.
>>
>>46724371
Yes

To fix it, you would need a time machine in order to travel into the past and undo the last 10 years that they spent digging themselves into a deeper and deeper hole as they made all the clusterfuck new systems that are bolted onto the game, which has resulted in a system which is the TCG equivalent of Frankenstein's Monster. It sort of works, but it's scary as fuck and incredibly clunky.
>>
File: OjamaBlue-RGBT-EN-R-1E.png (481 KB, 400x580) Image search: [Google]
OjamaBlue-RGBT-EN-R-1E.png
481 KB, 400x580
>>46737977
>>46754291

dude ojama blue can search for TWO of any card with ojama in it

ANY CARDS.

and you can keep it on field with ojama country.

best searcher IN THE GAME
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.