[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Games General /bgg/ - Blood, Steal, & Tears Edition.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: BGG Blood Steel & Tears.jpg (237 KB, 650x550) Image search: [Google]
BGG Blood Steel & Tears.jpg
237 KB, 650x550
The old /bgg/ >>46634296 is dead. All hail the new /bgg/.

Pastebin -O- Goodness:
http://pastebin.com/w0jkangT

Obviously we all love board games and socializing, but there's bound to be a few bumps on the road to board gaming bliss...

> If there's one thing above all others that's a deal-breaker for you when it comes to a board game, what is it? (Bad rules, bad editing, unappealing artwork, low quality materials, etc.)

> Are there some games you can't play with your regular group or certain friends because you know it'll either lead to a rules argument or a load of 'butt-hurt' when a 'betrayal' component in game is used against someone?

> Do you have a personal 'pet peeve' when it comes to board gaming? (The infamous 'No Coasters' Heresy for example.)

> Are you fortunate enough to game with a good group of fellow board gamers who can separate 'in game shenanigans' from real life and thus not take the in-game drama personally?
>>
>>46684223
>If there's one thing above all others that's a deal-breaker for you when it comes to a board game, what is it? (Bad rules, bad editing, unappealing artwork, low quality materials, etc.)
Any half assing, whether it's in quality of the material of components or rulebook layout. But generall if it's a fun game its whatever.
Misaligned printing is by far the worst though.

>Are there some games you can't play with your regular group or certain friends because you know it'll either lead to a rules argument or a load of 'butt-hurt' when a 'betrayal' component in game is used against someone?
I have accepted the fact that my friends will never play Archipelago with me even though it's one of my favourite games.

>Do you have a personal 'pet peeve' when it comes to board gaming? (The infamous 'No Coasters' Heresy for example.)
Sperg that tap my cards against shit or bend them. Enough was enough when they started doing it with my Kingdom Death shit and I told them straight up I'd slap their god damn faces off if they damaged anything.

> Are you fortunate enough to game with a good group of fellow board gamers who can separate 'in game shenanigans' from real life and thus not take the in-game drama personally?
Thankfully yes. Everyone comes in with a good attitude and accepts it's just a game.
>>
File: Death can be a bitch.png (217 KB, 1024x510) Image search: [Google]
Death can be a bitch.png
217 KB, 1024x510
>>46684223
>> If there's one thing above all others that's a deal-breaker for you when it comes to a board game, what is it? (Bad rules, bad editing, unappealing artwork, low quality materials, etc.)

The thing that will kill my desire to play a game faster than any other is badly edited rules. When I have to try and guess what the designer meant, or parts of the rules are literally missing from the rule book it irks me a lot. (Bonus points for no errata being available either...)

> > Are there some games you can't play with your regular group or certain friends because you know it'll either lead to a rules argument or a load of 'butt-hurt' when a 'betrayal' component in game is used against someone?

There are a couple of teen age players I game with sometimes and I do occasionally have to remind folks that the betrayal mechanisms aren't personal attacks on them.

> > Do you have a personal 'pet peeve' when it comes to board gaming? (The infamous 'No Coasters' Heresy for example.)

The one thing that seriously pisses me off is people being careless or needlessly rough with my game components. I understand accidents happen, but when someone runs greasy hands all over the game, or generally doesn't give a shit because they didn't pay for it, I definitely get cheesed off.

> > Are you fortunate enough to game with a good group of fellow board gamers who can separate 'in game shenanigans' from real life and thus not take the in-game drama personally?

With rare exception, I can bring out a variety of games with 'take that' mechanics and everyone laughs and has a good time even if they aren't winning. And for that I'm both fortunate and thankful.
>>
>>46684291
>I have accepted the fact that my friends will never play Archipelago with me even though it's one of my favourite games.

That sucks - I really like Archipelago too.

>>Do you have a personal 'pet peeve' when it comes to board gaming?
>Sperg that tap my cards against shit or bend them.

Are you me? (I so have your back on that one bro!)
>>
>>46684223
> If there's one thing above all others that's a deal-breaker for you when it comes to a board game, what is it? (Bad rules, bad editing, unappealing artwork, low quality materials, etc.)
Clunky game progression is by far the worst, usually caused by bad rules

> Are there some games you can't play with your regular group or certain friends because you know it'll either lead to a rules argument or a load of 'butt-hurt' when a 'betrayal' component in game is used against someone?
A friend spergs out hard with the optional bluff rule for Nevermore, so we decided to simply not use it despite the fact I feel it makes people care about their card choices a bit more

> Do you have a personal 'pet peeve' when it comes to board gaming? (The infamous 'No Coasters' Heresy for example.)
All of my friends are respectful with components so I don't have any pet peeves with that regard

One friend has a habit of taking shit talking personally most of the time, which is a shame because I enjoy his company a lot otherwise. Everyone else is pretty chill and 'take that' games are pretty well-received
>>
>>46678146
The rule of thumb is if it maxes out at 6 or higher, then you're right it's probably not as good with 3. If it maxes out at 4, it's likely very good or even better at 3. If it maxes out at 5 it's a tossup.

But seriously there's so many good 3p games you must not be trying.
>>46681577
One of the regulars at game night taught it to a complete newbie something like a month ago. She also hadn't played a non-mass market game before. She had fun supposedly but he wanted to shoot himself. Anyway it's not impossible
>>46684223
>what's a deal breaker
KS game that never hit retail
>butthurt
We have one friend who manages to get butthurt pretty often. Not because of a betrayal mechanic because that's all part of the game. But if a player with no chance of winning makes a decision where, for example, gets themself more points but blocks him, that's guaranteed to get him butthurt
>pet peeve
Player who uses their phone/tablet/laptop to entertain themself when it's not their turn. I don't mind checking it constantly or constant texting, but choosing to stay fully disengaged from us at the table? Grrrr
>good group/no post-game drama
Absolutely. Even when games go to shit, or that friend gets buttmad again, it always seems to mellow out before next game. I've had a couple high drama games at meetup night and I still consider those people some of my favorite to game with
>>46684791
>spergs at the optional bluff rule in Nevermore
Lol in what way? I stopped teaching that one because it complicates rules explanation for such a casual game
>>
>>46685181
He kept insisting that if you bluff they count as cards that were actually played, we decided to give up after five minutes of arguing because it was not worth the time for a casual game
>>
File: English Farm low res.jpg (639 KB, 1200x815) Image search: [Google]
English Farm low res.jpg
639 KB, 1200x815
What is the best farming/pastoral game that is relaxed / easy to teach?

i have played viticulture and liked it but it is kind of repetitive over several games.
>>
>>46685237
Ah pretty dumb. I bet he was That Guy who waited for everyone else to set cards down before choosing his own
>>
>>46685242
Agricola. It's dead simple to teach as long as you know the rules (the rule book is literal garbage though, watch a video or download a rules summary)
>>
>>46684223
When the 'bang for buck' ratio is more buck than bang. KD:M and T.I.M.E. Stories falls under this for me

Usually any mishandling of game components is more accidental than not caring, so after a stern-but-sing-song admonishment they usually take care to avoid ruining stuff.

I don't have a game with betrayal mechanics or lets you do shenanigans yet, so I can't say.
>>
> If there's one thing above all others that's a deal-breaker for you when it comes to a board game, what is it?[...]
I won't buy the game that is supposed to be deep but is flawed, unstrategic, or needs lots of patching/house-rules. Examples: Caverna, TI3.
I really can't play on deep level with my group. It's more like going through the motions or half-assing it when we play deep games. You can't expect deep strategy when we have one guy that by his own words "doesn't think - he plays", another one that just seems to make poor plays (even though he tries) and a roster of people who are relative new.
I don't understand the question, sorry.
Well sorta. There's one guy that always complains that everybody is against him and generally bitches when he loses but when the game is done he isn't salty about it. On one hand it's good that it doesn't leach into non-board game life, on the other it almost seems like he does it on puropuse to win (i.e winning by whining).
>>
Always a bad rulebook. Even if the rules are simple, if you've written them in a way that can't be understood, then fuck you.
I play hidden objective stuff most of the time, and it's never been an issue... apart from one game of Avalon, where one guy assumed I was a traitor based on wat he assumed was a logical train of thought. I denied it, of course, but that didn't help much.

At the end, when we revealed whose side we were on, I called him a "stupid fucking goat-fucking fuckwit" as he facepalmed at making such a bad mistake. We were cool afterwards, and we're still friends but tensions ran a bit too high.
Just give me a way to decide who goes first. That shit isn't difficult.
See my previous spoiler.
>>
>>46678146
Saw this
>>46685181

Wanted to add that StarCraft: TBG scales amazingly from 3-6 (I heard it's also good at 2, but haven't tried it) turns take longer in the higher player counts and there's less of them (I think we never managed to get to the 3rd epoch in a 6 player game) but it's solid at all player counts.
>>
Millennium Blades is out for delivery. God is in his heaven. All is right with the world.
>>
>>46687978
Lucky duck, I'm still waiting for a shipping notice.
>>
>>46688187
Unfortunately, game night was last night for me so it will have to wait a week before I can play it. But, at least I will have it on hand to bask in its glory.
>>
>>46684223
>Obviously we all love board games and socializing
Actually, I am a huge introvert with social anxiety... boardgames help me interact with people in a controlled environment. People still think I'm weird, though.
Anyone else here uses games a a social crutch?
>>
>>46684223

>deal-breaker
Zombie anything. Seriously, game designers, you need to stop making games now.

> games you can't play with certain friends
Anything mathy, abstract or dry. Those are "nerd games".

>pet peeve
People who dig their nails into my cards when they try to pick them up from the table, and bend them in their hand. I now sleeve everything.

> drama-free group?
Yeah, pretty much, though they will get salty after a ruthless block or ganging-upon.
>>
Here's some minor board gaming news for you guys.

On Pyrkon 2016, Portal confirmed that they finally will be publishing the last two armies for Neuroshima Hex 3.0 - Mephisto and Dancer - and some updated mini-expansions.

Believing them, the files are ready for print. Their guesstimate deadline is somewhere in summer, but knowing their busy schedule, it might get pushed to fall. Those dates are probably for Polish release, don't know how big might be the delay for the rest of the world.
>>
>>46684223
>deal-breaker?
Multiplayer solitare is intolerable.

>games you can't play because butthurt?
Nah, we're all well-acclimated to schadenfreude.

>personal pet peeve?
Being a poor sport or other flavor of rampant asshat, but that's pretty generic.

>Are you fortunate enough to game with rational human beings?
Thank grud, yes.
>>
>>46689398
>Anyone else here uses games a a social crutch?
You are not alone anon. I have schizoid personality disorder and, if allowed, would never socially interact with anyone ever. It's not anxiety, I just have no desire or need to. You ever heard of one of those hermits that live in the wilderness for decades without interacting with people? Schizoids to the man. They found one in upstate New York a couple years ago, guy lived in the woods for 20 odd years.

Anyways, board games get me out of the house and talking to people. And that's a good thing.
>>
>>46688625
It came in for me today...but I need another person to play because apparently 1v1 isn't so good.
>>
>>46684223
> If there's one thing above all others that's a deal-breaker for you when it comes to a board game, what is it?
Bad rules.

Are there some games you can't play with your regular group or certain friends because you know it'll either lead to a rules argument or a load of 'butt-hurt' when a 'betrayal' component in game is used against someone?
No.

>> Do you have a personal 'pet peeve' when it comes to board gaming? (The infamous 'No Coasters' Heresy for example.)
?

>> Are you fortunate enough to game with a good group of fellow board gamers who can separate 'in game shenanigans' from real life and thus not take the in-game drama personally?
Yes. Is that really something fortunate though?
>>
>>46691735
>Yes. Is that really something fortunate though?
You'd be surprised. If there's a dating couple involved, the answer is almost always 'No'.
>>
>>46689398
I don't have social anxietybut board games are totally my social crutch

when I started living here I was expecting to hate it. I picked up the hobby because I didn't want to make new friends but I wanted somewhere to go on the weekends. My old friends who lived here already were flaky so I had an excuse to ignore their texts to hang out.

ffwd to the present, and 80% of my social activities right now consist of board gaming, even with casual friends. Made a bunch of gamer friends and see them all the time. Living here is tolerable because of board games (my other hobbies are too expensive or time consuming for me right now) Still don't have the patience or money for branching out, getting out more, meeting new people, unless it has something to do with board games
>>
>>46684223
>If there's one thing above all others that's a deal-breaker for you when it comes to a board game, what is it? (Bad rules, bad editing, unappealing artwork, low quality materials, etc.)
Bad rules.

>Are there some games you can't play with your regular group or certain friends because you know it'll either lead to a rules argument or a load of 'butt-hurt' when a 'betrayal' component in game is used against someone?
Not that I can think of.

>Do you have a personal 'pet peeve' when it comes to board gaming? (The infamous 'No Coasters' Heresy for example.)
Not really. A friend of mine accidently bled a bit over a player aid card a few weeks ago but it didn't bother me that much 2bh.

>Are you fortunate enough to game with a good group of fellow board gamers who can separate 'in game shenanigans' from real life and thus not take the in-game drama personally?
Yes. Also despite >>46691989 it's actually a couple that hosts most of our game nights, and they regularly screw each other over.
>>
>>46691989
>You'd be surprised. If there's a dating couple involved, the answer is almost always 'No'.
I haven't got a clue what that even means, but in the end I guess it means that I am lucky somehow?
>>

I can't think of anything really. Maybe that thing when a REALLY THEMATIC game just has that one rule that makes no fucking sense. Like that rule in Zombicide where zombies divide like cells. That's dumb, and has no place in a highly thematic game.

I'm.. a bit guilty of being that guy. Also I can't lie to save my life so I stay away from that shit. I've recently played dead of winter and I've let HUGE tells that I was the traitor so many times. It's pretty humiliating really.
There's this one time we played the Resistance, and everybody knew I was a spy even before the game actually started because of the way I was wording explanations. I'm horrible. Help me.

I hate cardbenders. I've played with one once and even though it wasnt my game it triggered me something fierce.

Well, apart from being "that guy" myself fom time to time, we are mostly a reasonable bunch. I try to control myself and feel I'm getting better at it with time. Hardly ever comes up nowadays.
>>
I often game with a married couple. They recently took in a one year-old (I won't go into why as it's their personal business and not mine to share even on an anonymous image board).

Is there a way we can still game fairly often without neglecting the kid or hiring a babysitter? Obviously the kid comes first, so if there isn't, there isn't, but is there?

How can you keep a kid occupied, present, and not trying to grab at the game pieces? I mean, I understand really thinky games may not be in the cards for a while, because we'll have to entertain him a bit, but do you think it'd work out okay to just have whoever isn't taking their turn play with him?

tl;dr anybody have experience gaming with small kids around? How do you do it and make the kid not feel left out or unwanted?
>>
>>46692668

With kids that young, it's tough. I've played once with a friend who had her 2y/o with her, and I basically gave the kid a hand of them blank dominion cards and a pair of faulty Quarriors dice I had lying around and occasionally gave him "mock turns" whenever his attention would be driven to the game (but he mostly played with his Flash Mc Queens)
>>
>>46692668
You don't. If the kid's not old enough to actually join in with simple stuff (and won't be for at least another couple of years) there's no getting around it. Trying to play piecemeal with one person attending at a time is going to waste time, mess up their attention and train of thought that you may as well not bother and just have someone sit out and then you're back to square one. Not to mention you've got random people coming and going to this child that he's wondering WTF is going on.
>>
>>46692668
Have the TV on at a moderate volume and sit in the room with him while he watches a show aimed at his age group. Every once in a while, talk to him. That's it.

Don't bother him constantly but also don't ignore him for more than 5-10 minutes without at least a "hey, how's it going?" or a high five or something.
>>
Arkham Horror is a terrible game. I played it, again, yesterday and it just does not step up. What do people like about this game anyway?
>>
>>46692975

People like the theme, and it stood on that leg for many years.

But yes, it's a terrible game.
>>
>>46693207
>People like the theme
That is weird though. Because I would agree with you, somehow they consider the setting to be of more importance than the gameplay. However, why not play "Call of Cthulhu" (the RPG that is) instead?
>>
Another thing to remember is that for a long time, Arkham Horror was one of the best produced games on the market. The art assets were, (and still are) gorgeous at a time when most games were pretty drab.

It set the bar.
>>
Good thing you're not talking poop of Eldritch Horror (otherwise I would have to reconsider my life decisions)
>>
File: santorini.jpg (479 KB, 987x900) Image search: [Google]
santorini.jpg
479 KB, 987x900
Yellow's turn. What would you do?
>>
>>46691638
I've heard 1v1 is just fine. Just don't expect to do much trading.
>>
>>46693884
I would move the bottom builder right one, then build to the right. Form a wall and develop that territory.
>>
Any recent games that have absolutely blown you away by introducing a whole new concept? Like LOTR did with co-ops for adults and Dominion did with deckbuilders.
>>
>>46692502
>Like that rule in Zombicide where zombies divide like cells. That's dumb, and has no place in a highly thematic game.

They gave an explanation for the dividing zombies: zombies don't divide, it's just that somehow a second zombie was hidden behind the first and the players did not see it. It may not be a very convincing explanation, but it is an explanation.
>>
File: minesweeper.png (4 KB, 288x322) Image search: [Google]
minesweeper.png
4 KB, 288x322
>>46693884
Dem numbered squares.... Triggered! ;)
>>
>>46693312
What's really weird is the game COMPLETELY misses the mark when it comes to feeling like HP Lovecraft anything. I guess it's not surprising when you learn that one of the original designers later made Cthulhu wars which is just a generic dudes on a map game with cthulhu mythos miniatures.
>>
>>46688625
We got our box and holy hell, is it beautiful. And holy fuck, putting together the wads of bills is tedious.
>>
>>46687530
>>46691735
>>46692138
> Bad Rules...
Oh good, it isn't just me. One game I made the mistake of purchasing literally has 1/2 of two different key paragraphs missing. Literally stops mid sentence and never picks up again. AAARRRGGGHHH! It's like proof-reading and editing aren't really a thing...

>>46689652
> Anything mathy, abstract or dry. Those are "nerd games".
That's what you get for gaming with a bunch of 'Oily Bo-hunks'. (I'll take 'Bad 80's Movies references' for $800 Alex.)

>>46689925
Thanks for the update. I'd be more excited about this if it weren't for how slow Portal is about publishing their updated stuff in English. I realize it's not their first language, but it isn't like the English speaking players are just a tiny slice of their customer demographics either.

>>46691562
>Anyways, board games get me out of the house and talking to people. And that's a good thing.
Most of the time I'd agree with you (especially when board gaming). But I teach for a living and you'd be surprised at the number of times I've had adults who couldn't or wouldn't apply common sense, problem solve, or put forth the most basic of efforts in order to learn new things. Sometimes the human gene-pool needs a good chlorinating.

>>46692502
>I hate cardbenders.
Hello players! Mr. Tetsubo is here to teach you all how NOT mishandle or mistreat game components through the liberal application of, shall we say "Blunt-Force Impact Aversion Therapy". Good luck, and happy gaming.
>>
File: 1459490911530.jpg (75 KB, 342x950) Image search: [Google]
1459490911530.jpg
75 KB, 342x950
>>46696552
Doh! Forgot my pic.
>>
>>46695695

I know that it's justified, but it's still flimsy as fuck.

You know, I'd be fine with that rule if the zombies were cubes. You could say imagine that a single cube may represent a group of zombies. With each figure representing a single zombie... It's just a huge thematc clash that shouldnt be here in a game that seems to bet everything on it's theme.
>>
File: 1439614069791.png (102 KB, 450x443) Image search: [Google]
1439614069791.png
102 KB, 450x443
>>46695987
It was so tedious that I actually found it kind of zen towards the end. Was missing some 1's and 5's though.
>my face when my prototype card is worse than the card it's a prototype of.
>>
I like social deduction games like The Resistance, Sheriff of Nottingham. I also think the theme of Fury of Dracula seems awesome. Is it a decent place for me to jump into heavier games?
>>
>>46699893
That and Dead of Winter get a lot of love from /bgg/, I'd say they're safe bets
>>
How suitable would Neuroshima Hex be for tournament play?
>>
>>46699893
Look at Dark Moon as well - it's a fun game, and easy to learn / teach.
>>
File: image.jpg (136 KB, 625x456) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136 KB, 625x456
Played this one for the first time last night, wound up playing it five times.

The strongest point is definitely how quickly the game moves, our first playthrough one was at just about 30 minutes even with all four players having never tried it before.
>>
Playing Rex tomorrow. 6 newbs, only I know the rules... Should be fun, right?

Right?
>>
File: saw1.jpg (48 KB, 600x325) Image search: [Google]
saw1.jpg
48 KB, 600x325
>>46703391
>>
>>46701690
This has become my number one filler game. Not only because it's enjoyable and quite simple, but because of how insanely fast it is to the point where we can adjust our filler time by 10 minute increments just by playing another round.
>>

In order of severity: low production value/materials, poorly written rules, poor art style (subjective).

No.

Eating/handling anything that is going to fuck up my game components. I also am pretty anti having shit like movies in the background while playing games.

Yes. People still get butthurt from losing games sometimes, but that is more of a function of poor execution on their part.
>>
wowey dominion sure is a neat game
i played it tonight.

ty for reading my blog
>>
>>46705501
played it once, it was great
>>
>>46684223
>Do you have a personal 'pet peeve' when it comes to board gaming?
This can be specific for my gaming group but, finishing early. For the last couple of weeks my group and I have been playing Game of Thrones, the board game. I think it's been fun and all but people dislike getting out of alliances and never troubled by not winning as long as they are in the winning alliance. So if Baratheon has almost won, it's allies goes out of its way to make sure he wins and then treat it like a team game.
That okay I guess but it brings down the amount of time that we play. More often than not we've been finishing on turn 4/10 and it's too early to go home and too late to play again.
>>
File: sant.gif (3 MB, 680x997) Image search: [Google]
sant.gif
3 MB, 680x997
Anyone up for a game of Santorini?

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X _X _X _X
_X _A _X _X _X
_X _X _X _A _X
_X _X _X _X _X

I'll be A, you'll be B. Underlines mean ground level. If there's one block on that space replace it with a 1, if two replace with a 2 and so on. A dome is a capital O.
>>
>>46692668
If no one is able to watch the kid (ie. everyone wants to play) then just game after he goes to bed. Most kids that age will be asleep before 7pm unless there parents keep a wacky sleep schedule.
>>
>>46706191
Eh, why not. Could you roll a random power for me and yourself?

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _B _X _B _X
_X _A _X _X _X
_X _X _X _A _X
_X _X _X _X _X
>>
File: untitled.jpg (54 KB, 417x423) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
54 KB, 417x423
How does moving the black queen to h6 here create a fork?
>>
File: 736575.jpg (69 KB, 396x392) Image search: [Google]
736575.jpg
69 KB, 396x392
>>46707795
I rolled Atlas for you and Athena for me.

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _B _X _B _X
_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X _A _A _X
_X _X 1X _X _X
>>
>>46708127

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X _X _B _X
_X _B _X _X _X
_X 1X _A _A _X
_X _X 1X _X _X

Alrighty then.
>>
>>46708178

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X _X _B _X
_X _B _X _X _X
_X 1A _X _A _X
_X 1X 1X _X _X
>>
>>46708227

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X _X _B _X
_X _X 1X _X _X
_X 1A _B _A _X
_X 1X 1X _X _X
>>
>>46708238

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X _X _B _X
_X _X 1X _X _X
_X 1A _B _X _X
_X 2X 1A _X _X
>>
>>46708249

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X 1X _X _X
_X _X 1X _B _X
_X 1A _B _X _X
_X 2X 1A _X _X
>>
>>46708254

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X 1X _X _X
_X _X 1X _B _X
_X 1A _B _X _X
1X 2A 1X _X _X
>>
>>46708280

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X 1X _X _X
_X _X 1X _X _X
_X 1A _B _B _X
1X 2A 1X 1X _X
>>
>>46708300

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X 1X _X _X
_X _X 1X _X _X
_X 1A _B _B _X
1X 2X 1A 2X _X
>>
>>46708313

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X 1X _X _X
_X _X 1X _X _X
_X 1A _B _X _B
1X 2X 1A OX _X

It's domeing time.
>>
>>46708335

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X 2X _X _X
_X _X 1A _X _X
_X 1X _B _X _B
1X 2X 1A OX _X

Nuh stop it man!
>>
>>46708353

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X 2X _X _X
_X _X 1A _X _X
_X 1B 1X _X _B
1X 2X 1A OX _X

Well okay.
>>
>>46708371

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X 2X _X _X
_X _X 1A _X _X
_X 1B 2X _X _B
1X 2A 1X OX _X
>>
>>46708402

Kind of funny to see you guys play the game in ascii when you think of how ridiculously overproduced that new edition is.
>>
>>46708402

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X 2X _X _X
_X _X 1A _X _X
_X 1B 2X _B _X
1X 2A 2X OX _X

>>46708416
There was an old edition?
>>
>>46708424

_X _X _X _X _X
_X _X 2X _X _X
_X _X 1X _X _X
_X 1B 2A _B _X
1X 2A 3X OX _X
>>
>>46708436

Bugger, that's a check mate. Forgot about that upper builder. Well played.
>>
File: santorini.jpg (58 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
santorini.jpg
58 KB, 500x332
>>46708461
Was fun. :)

And yeah, there original came out in 2004 I think.
>>
>>46708424
Game's been around for a years as an abstract in classrooms and such. It just got a cutesy pasted theme, god powers and a metric fuckton of hype.
>>
>>46708424

Apparently you could buy copies of the game from the original designer. They were handcrafted and shit I believe.
>>
>>46708481
Well, people really go for nicely moulded bits of plastic and miniatures.
>>
>>46708479
That's the original "produced" version of the game, but it's been out 30+ years. It basically used childrens blocks, or pieces of paper like some anon in these threads has been posting.
>>
>>46708509
Never said that was a bad thing, it'll make the game a lot more popular and better known. The minimalist aesthetics of a pure abstract are also cool IMO.
>>
>>46708479
That would be easy to set up in TTS.
>>
>>46708533
But it was just rules or a few handmade copies of the game floating around, you couldn't buy a produced box with the game it it.
>>
Speaking of Santorini, isn't Medusa's power kinda ridiculous?

"At the end of your turn, you may remove all your opponent's neighbouring builders at lower level from play and replace them with blocks."

It pretty much grants you a separate win condition.
>>
>>46700327
>>46701471
Thanks.
>>
>>46709563
The strongest thing about Medusa's ability isn't the fact that you can kill your opponent's builders, it's that your opponent will keep at arms length from you in fear of that. This means they effectively cede control of the center of the map to you, and winning via level 3 tower gets that much easier.
>>
>>46709781
>>46709563

I think Pan's alternate win condition is really good.

>Move Action: You also win if one of your Builders steps down exactly two levels.
>>
>>46710071
Pan is disgustingly powerful, yeah. Would not surprise me if he turned out to be one of the strongest of the bunch, if not the strongest. It's just so hard to prevent him from pulling off his win.
>>
File: 73456456456.jpg (101 KB, 592x582) Image search: [Google]
73456456456.jpg
101 KB, 592x582
>>46710127
>>46710071
>>46709781
>>46709563

What do you guys think of this design?
>>
>>46710192
It is a bit long winded and not as concise as the other powers, but it doesn't strike me as broken. Maybe a little weak, but I'm not sure on that point.
>>
>>46710254
Some of the official gods have much, much more text.

About being a little weak, maybe being able to step up 3 levels from a pit? Though I think that could be too strong.
>>
>>46699893
Take a look into Shadow Hunters as well - be warned, it only gets really good with 6+ players
>>
File: power creep prototype.jpg (2 MB, 1645x2293) Image search: [Google]
power creep prototype.jpg
2 MB, 1645x2293
>"A card game is an equation. There are trillions of combinations of cards to construct a deck, and millions of constructions operated by millions of agents. But the system is a finite one, and so it is ultimately solvable."
>- "Power Creep" Proposal Document

I feel like this character was made specifically to trigger /bgg/.
>>
File: abstract.jpg (120 KB, 769x691) Image search: [Google]
abstract.jpg
120 KB, 769x691
Rank them from best to worst.
>>
>>46711031
Theoretically he might not be wrong though, but the computing power required to process all possible permutations is enormous, and using such technology for such a trivial task would be wasteful.
>>
>>46712487

Considering that we have trouble computing all possible LEGAL board combinations in chess, then I guess it would be absolutely ridiculous to attempt same thing with, say, Magic the Gathering. Especially if you take in consideration new card sets.
>>
>>46712582
Plus, that's implying you have perfect information for both players, which is rarely the case in a card game.
>>
>>46712487
>>46712582
>>46712832

It's much more than possible. You can 'solve' a card game in a very similar way they they have 'solved' Go with AlphaGO: by using complex neural networks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaGo

You don't have to have every single board state and outcome recorded and logged. By having a huge library of played games and looking at the current board state, you can estimate what the best move is.

This is what Power Creep is. He doesn't say 100%, he says 99.99% meaning the state he has put the board in has a 99.99% chance of going his way. The fact that it's a machine (and an anime machine at that) and with how much it draws off of Yu-Gi-Oh just about all big level matches will be recorded/broadcast in some fashion, it would DEFINITELY have a library large enough as well as the computational power to search the database.
>>
>>46713048

I thought about neural networks, but would it work with collectible card games, where you can have hundreds of different cards?
>>
>>46713089
I would say yes. Most cards will be extremely similar to each other in many ways. Creatures will have attack/defense/life/cost values or whatever so it shouldn't be too difficult to have a neural network rank things in terms of value without having to create a million categories.

And with how a card game plays you could even lump things into larger strategies such as 'i need a creature out', 'here I should play a spell to counter' or 'I need to play conservatively and bait out the opponents play'. And then the AI could determine the best play available within that realm and you could reduce search times by a huge factor.
>>
>>46713277

And how a neural network approach constructing its own deck? Would it go with current meta after analysing hundreds of example matches?
>>
>>46713325
I would say it could do exactly that, look at as many games played as possible, the win percentages of each deck and each card, and it could even have more abstract categories like determining which card swung games the most or synergistic capabilities with cards (since it is shown to have a human-like demeanor and capable of more than just strictly numerical computations).
>>
File: co-related games2.png (6 MB, 1040x3642) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2.png
6 MB, 1040x3642
>>
>>46711919
Without any 'criteria' answering your question is impossible. Do your own research and stop being lazy.
>>
File: Stronghold 2nd Ed.jpg (127 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Stronghold 2nd Ed.jpg
127 KB, 700x700
>>46684223
Anyone have any experience with this? Looking for recommendations on a good play-through video.
>>
>>46684223
>Do you have a personal 'pet peeve' when it comes to board gaming?

The deliberate, purposeful lack of uniformity among card sizes making it a bitch to sleeve anything.
>>
File: princess blade.jpg (3 MB, 2611x2404) Image search: [Google]
princess blade.jpg
3 MB, 2611x2404
I love the art on this set.

>>46718530
Rahdo did a detailed talkthrough on it and the differences between the second edition and the first.
>>
>>46718741
Yeah, OK, that would set me off too.

>>46718769
Thanks - I'll find the video. I'm looking forward to trying this game out.
>>
>>46718769
Is that the actual art? If so that's hilarious but I don't think enough people are going to get that it's a riff on yugioh censorship. But then again I don't know how many non ccg-savvy people are going to buy that game.
>>
>>46719659
That is indeed the actual art. It's fantastic, I'm loving the references in this game.
>>
>>46714761
could you please post the other charts?
>>
I've got a question about a mechanic idea and if you guys feel it's an acceptable use of dice. I know people tend to prefer dice when they limit your options but don't decide your fate entirely. Burgundy or Kingsburg being on the good side, with rolling to move and rolling to see if you hit being on the bad side

it's a variation on the plague mechanic from Notre Dame. in Notre Dame you have a plague tracker that increases each turn (number depends on the cards that are drawn) and penalizes you if it goes over 9. there are a few actions you can do during your turns that will reduce the tracker though, so you do have a way to avoid it

imagine you added the plague tracker to a tile laying game like Burgundy. instead of each player increasing their track based on a communal draw, you'd have a tile (like the boarding house or market or whatever) that would increase the tracker by 1 when you placed it. then each round you'd roll another (communal) die and if the number is lower than your spot on the tracker you face a penalty. there'd be two ways to reduce your plague tracker. placing a tile like the church (shame there's no hospital) would reduce your number by 1, but you could also pay some money to reduce it as well

I'm curious if anyone sees a major flaw in it. to clarify, each player would compare their place on the tracker with the one die that's rolled. they wouldn't all roll their own die.
>>
>>46719659
The game is chock full of references. It's lovely.
>>
File: BGGsuggestions01.png (2 MB, 2016x899) Image search: [Google]
BGGsuggestions01.png
2 MB, 2016x899
>>46720242
Not sure if these are the one's you're looking for or not..
>>
File: BGGsuggestions02.png (3 MB, 1833x1500) Image search: [Google]
BGGsuggestions02.png
3 MB, 1833x1500
>>46721790
>>
File: gf games v3.png (3 MB, 1878x1672) Image search: [Google]
gf games v3.png
3 MB, 1878x1672
>>46721834
And the recently updated 'Wife / Girlfriend' games list that has some solid suggestions on games that are good ways to introduce others into the board gaming hobby.
>>
>>46720242
If you're looking for the /v/ related suggestions to go with the /co/ related suggestions, I'll let Minifig post it as they're his creation.
>>
>>46721881
>>46721834
>>46721790
thank you
>>
Blood Rage sucks. A game called Blood Rage about vikings and monsters and Norse Gods and Ragnarok, and the best way to win is being mellow.
>>
>>46720730

>dice
>tile laying

Ugggggggghh no.
Stop. NO MORE DICE. They're shit no matter the context and tile laying games are only marginally preferable.
>>
>>46722091
Loki really does kill that game. The Loki strategy is by no means unbeatable, but someone always takes it and it's just fucking boring and uninteractive. It's funny the first time, "lol you won cause you're so good at dying" but gets old quick.
>>
>>46722013
Good! Glad I could help. :) Slowly infecting the world with board gaming disease, one Anon at a time...
>>
>>46722169
Is the Loki strat in the base game? I'm looking at the Kickstarter and a lot of the stuff I have a serious problem with is expansion and KS exclusive stuff.
>>
>>46722167
I get being annoyed with dice, but what problems do you have with tile laying games anon?
>>
>>46722528
Carcassonne-induced PTSD?
>>
>>46722455
Everything about Loki is base game. I've never played with any of the KS exclusives and the only expansion I've touched are the shamans. Doesn't stop Loki from being game destroyingly stupid.
>>
So, >>46703391 first ever Rex game's done, and it JUST took us 5 hours. Fuck me, teaching/playing was such a chore.

6th newb ditched us, so it was a 5-player game. Spent the first full hour explaining the premise and setting, describing turn order, basic mechanics and combat system.

I tried my best to explain strategy card interaction, alliance card abilities and struggled to keep the game momentum during bidding and deployment. One of the guys just took out his cellphone and half-assed the remainder of the game.

Heavy defense and a couple traitors in crucial battles gave Letnev/Hacan alliance enough room to stall the game while Lazax/Sol/Jol Nar failed to coordinate an attack. By turn 8 no one had control of enough strongholds, so Hacan pulled his Special Victory conditions. No one betrayed their alliances, even when it would have meant victory.

Overall a weird game. 2 players are down for a rematch, the other 2 are uninterested and would rather play something shorter and with less downtime and reading tiny card text.

Don't feel like I enjoyed this as much as I should have, and I fear it'll be a while before it hits tyhe table again.
>>
>>46722167
Troyes uses dice amazingly
>>
>>46724215

You make it sound like so much fun!
I would totally play Rex with you and your group, anon!

They sound like cool dudes to play a long, heavy game with and not completely self-absorbed assholes at all!
>>
>>46724760
Don't get me wrong, the game was fine, we had fun, and except for that guy losing interest mid-game everything went well. I know it'll go down smoother and quicker next time, and actually knowing how to play will definitely make it more enjoyable.
I'm just exhausted right now.
>>
>>46724215
Yeah, when I plan on playing a longer game I try to give the players a chance to read the rules or watch a play through video. (Not that the players very often take advantage to prepare in advance...) I also use game aids when possible to ease the learning curve / speed up play. At least you've got 2 players that will be good for a longer game scoped out, and you can try to find some more. As for the 'cellphone dude', I find I dislike tech at board game gatherings in general because people can't go 4 minutes without looking at them apparently.
>>
>>46722725
One of the exclusives is a monster which makes the strength of all non-monster units in the same province zero. It's fucking bullshit.
I trying to imagine the game without expansions and KS exclusives and the impression I keep getting is CitOW lite with a degenerate strategy.
>>
>>46726061
And honestly, it's making me wary of his upcoming Bloodborne and Godfather games.
>>
Well the High Frontier KS is turning out to be an enormous fucking mess.
>>
>>46726549
Phil-sama why? Why did you place your trust in these buffoons? Could you seriously find no-one better who was willing to publish High Frontier?
>>
>>46727636
>>46726549

Why? What's going on?
>>
Does anybody here have experience playing Machiavelli? I plan on ordering a copy soon but I want to know how it compares to regular Diplomacy.
>>
>>46726549
As if you couldn't see that coming a light-mile away.
>>
>>46726549
>>46727840
>Why? What's going on?

It's more like "What's going on now?" Before it was issues with a manufacturer of plastic rings. I shudder to ask what's wrong at this point.
>>
>>46728215
>>46728152
>>46727840
The company that Phil licensed the game to is retarded. I don't know of any happenings which are going on right now, other than the fact that the game was supposed to be shipped in November and they've only now finally confirmed that it is in production. Keep in mind, this was a game where it was 100% ready to print, at least according to Phil.
>>
File: v-related traditional games2.png (6 MB, 1256x3151) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2.png
6 MB, 1256x3151
>>
>>46728610
You should add Millennium Blades to your list(s), now that it has released. It definitely belongs on /v/ and /a/ related games, and an argument could be made for /co/ related.
>>
>>46697467
How does it actually play? It looks like a meta joke that tries waaay too much to be clever to me.
>>
>>46728322
>The company that Phil licensed the game to is retarded.

That's unfortunate. It's a shame when good games get hosed by bad business and bad partners. The fact that the more successful Kick Starters have set everyone's expectations pretty high doesn't help.
>>
>>46728788
I haven't gotten my copy to the table yet (game day is Thursday for me, arrived Friday of course), but there are gameplay videos up.

https://youtu.be/JwANmSW4rSs
Note that they fuck up one of the rules and did not deal out another 6 free cards at the 7 minute mark during the deckbuilding phase, so the deckbuilding phase was a little more boring / less crazy than normal.
>>
>>46728836
Gonna be honest with you senpai and tell you that it looks boring as fuck.
>>
>>46728925
Nah, that's fair enough. It's not a spectator game, that's for sure. Most of the game comes from trying to figure out which combo pieces to use and in which order without getting overwhelmed by the time limit. But, to a spectator that basically looks like a bunch of people staring at cards very intently and confusedly.

The Rahdo run through for it is probably a better example, as he tries to talk through his internal thought process in the deckbuilding phase.
https://youtu.be/GwooXo--r5w?list=PLmQverenaaqJ2JAVnQshR7_miwBec1VZo
>>
>>46708479
>>46708461
Darnit! I don't need temptation to buy another board game right now - and this game looks good. Knock it off! ;)
>>
File: no-tears-just-dreams.jpg (66 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
no-tears-just-dreams.jpg
66 KB, 498x500
>>46729134
Hush now... let the hype take you.
>>
>>46729206
Kek! I just added up the costs of the 25 items in my board gaming wish list - $670. Whelp, off to the Blood Bank to donate I go. I'm sure the board games will be worth the anemia...
>>
File: v-related traditional games2b.png (2 MB, 1366x1618) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2b.png
2 MB, 1366x1618
>>
>>46729069

Unwatchable. Literally gave me ear cancer.
Fucker needs a pop-filter like Africa needs an AIDS cure.
>>
>>46727905
Anyone?
>>
>>46727905
>>46730093
I've heard that it is better than Diplomacy, but I've not played it nor do I even know what the differences are. Sorry anon.
>>
>>46729712
I didn't realize that defaulted to the static cam. Try the non static cam version, it always has better sound quality.
>>
>>46729712
>stopping one of the only things remotely keeping the black hordes at bay
>good idea

Your analogy is a tad off.
>>
>>46729592
Wow, so little conversation... It's like the weather turns nice and suddenly everyone's going outside to do stuff. What sort of basement dwelling troglodytes are you? If you all keep this up I'm going to have no choice but to take away your Fa/tg/uy cards!
>>
>>46728610
How's the Witcher game?
>>
>>46732215
I find it very similar to Talisman to be fair.
>>
File: CYKABLYAT.jpg (2 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
CYKABLYAT.jpg
2 MB, 1936x2592
>mfw I as russian player about to get literally taken from behind
This game is brilliant.

>>46721790
>>46721834
>Smallworld, CitOW
>wargames
I'm far from what one would consider a hardcore wargamer, but I really wouldn't categorize these as wargames 2bh
>>
>>46732349

What was this game called again? Triumph something-something?

I recall it being an interesting free for all game, but it's way too different from actual WW2 in Europe. Also, I read people complaining how it really leads to one big stalemate everywhere, as there hardly is a situation when you get to gang up on the leader, as power levels stay pretty static.

And landwar in Russia not an option, as the Western Allies automatically kick your ass in the west.
>>
>>46732349
Both are war games - Small World is an abstract war game, and CitOW is even easier to tag as a war game. Both involve violence as the primary (or in both cases really the only way) to win the game. (There's no negotiating a peaceful resolution, politics, or economic victory conditions in either game.) Both involve area control (which is generally considered the 'hallmark' of war games). Both involve potential player elimination or player decimation. In light of those facts I'd have to say that both fall into the war games camp (even if Small World does a fine job of overtly hiding the blood-n-guts behind a cute theme).
>>
>>46732215
>>46732333
It is light, kinda arbitrary, gather x to complete quest, gather y for bonus sidequest points, Characters are supposed to play assymmetrically, but feel samey. Supposed to be a semi-coop, but it's really an every man for himself points race.
Theme and components are nice, and you'll definitely get more out of it if you're a franchise fan.
>>
>>46732419
>What was this game called again? Triumph something-something?
Triumph and Tragedy

>I recall it being an interesting free for all game, but it's way too different from actual WW2 in Europe. Also, I read people complaining how it really leads to one big stalemate everywhere, as there hardly is a situation when you get to gang up on the leader, as power levels stay pretty static.
Well, it's not actually supposed to be a WW2 game really, it starts in 1936. Our group hasn't had wars earlier than '38 I think, but I've read some people go at it even earlier. I'd also disagree about the stalemate situation, or at least we've not experienced anything I'd call a stalemate yet. More a case of "I need to do 11 things, but I can only do 5" kind of thing, at least it's felt that way for me quite often.

Also worth noting - in the game pictured is that at around '40 I was happily turtling away in Russia while the Axis and Western player had been fighting each other a couple years. Then they decided they were losing too much and that I had the potential of pulling away fast, and both declared war on me and things got a lot less pleasnt for me. Went from a position from where I could've quite possibly won the game given a turn or two more of peace to pretty desperately defending my southern front and european interests.

>And landwar in Russia not an option, as the Western Allies automatically kick your ass in the west.
A drawn out land war no, but if you can blitz France (which is seldom that difficult) and then blockade the US and Mediterreanean early on the West loses a LOT of production and you can focus on the east front a bit for probably 2-3 turns without too many worries.
>>
>>46732672
Hmm, I suppose I can buy that argument, though at the same time it'd feel better if it said "light wargames." Guess I'm just having a very hard time making myself see something like CitOW and Smallworld in the same category as Here I Stand or the COIN series lol
>>
>>46732837
Thanks for your input on Triumph and Tragedy. Guess it's not as bad as some people say.

Still, how bad is the western blockade? I read somewhere on BGG that's one of the go-to strategies for the Germany, as it's hard to completely eradicate the submarine presence.
>>
>>46733001
Yeah, I can understand where one would not instantly lump 'Small World' into the classical war games category at first glance. It's a lot different than the classic hex and chit stuff thematically speaking, but strip away the veneer and it's all about conflict and strategy. I love SJG's OGRE, it's what got me into war gaming and into heavier stuff like SPI's War of the Ring or the old 'Starship Troopers' game. But it's really simple mechanically speaking. And it's all about creating situations where you have the strength advantage, and Small World is much the same way.
>>
>>46733105
>Thanks for your input on Triumph and Tragedy. Guess it's not as bad as some people say.
Well, take my input with a grain of salt, we've only managed to play like 5 games. It's been 5 really fun games, but still only 5. Also the game has gotten a fair amount of love from people with more plays as well!

>Still, how bad is the western blockade?
It can be pretty bad, especially if France has fallen. Also subs are definately pesky, however if they're out blockading really early, they'll probably be like 2-strength so they're not exactly a big danger to fleets either, and if you can nab the sonar tech (the most abundant tech card) as the west then I'd imagine the subs will start running pretty fast. I assume that combined with the proposed rule tweak of giving the West a fort at Gibraltar at game start should help mitigate a mediterranean blockade a bit.

Also I said >>46732837
>you can blitz France (which is seldom that difficult)
When I think a bit about it, I'd be more inclined to say that if you commit to it early and the west player doesn't beef up France too much the first 1-2 turns when you're attacking, then it's doable. Then again, beefing up France eats up production, which the West has the least of of the three powers, so it's not exactly easy for them either.
>>
>>46732672
Nope.
The theme of those games is war, calling a game a war game refers to the mechanics. If you rethemed uno to be about trading crops in the Mediterranean it wouldn't suddenly become a euro.
>>
>>46734862
What are the elements and mechanics of a wargame then, and can a game not themed about war be a wargame?

I can think of tactical combat, dice chucking, lots of unit types with different stats/abilities, logistics, chain of command with squad leaders, supply chain, unit training, realistic maps and terrain movement rules.
>>
>>46705610

That's a really bad way to play this game, but I think you already know this. The whole idea of Game of Thrones is "you win or you die".
Everytime I play a match I only look for alliances that serve my cause, and I am willing to break them anytime it seems useful.

Too bad it's hard to gather up with six experienced people to play, so may times one or few players are complete newbies and they need special treatment, to learn all the rules.
>>
Anyone here have played Euphoria? I've been wanting to play it forever.
>>
>>46731852
Fuck man some of us are stuck inside with reams of homework.
>>
>>46732215
I honestly have no idea about most of the games I've put on these lists. I just go by reviews, BGG rankings and what various Anons suggest I add.
>>
What do you think are the best board game related YouTube channels?
>>
>>46739897
Drive Thru Review is the absolute classy best. I wish Rahdo was my Uncle.
>>
>>46739897
I like SUSD because they tend to give a good feel of the "vibe" of a game.
>>
>>46740552
The only vibes SUSD understand are attached to very large prostate stimulators.
>>
>>46741091
This, to be QUITE honesto with you while I shake my head, family member
>>
>>46741091
I don't get it. Are you insinuating that the reviewers there are homosexual?
>>
>>46741554
>have to be homosexual to enjoy prostate stimulation
Now you're just being offensive.
>>
>>46741554
The fuck is wrong with you?
>>
What are your opinions on 7 Wonders vs 7 Wonders: Duel?

Rahdo says Duel doesn't replaces the original for 2 players for them.
>>
>>46741869

There are way, way too many incredible 2-player games. 7 Wonders doesn't really make the list of things I'll put on the table in that situation.
>>
>>46742011
I'm specially looking for games with no necessary in-game text. 2 player or not. Please recommend.
>>
>>46741869
7 Wonders is good because it's one of the very few good games for 7 players.
Duel is competing with Netrunner, CCG's, The Duke, Command N Colors, Agricola, Hive, almost every "classic" board game, and almost every GMT game.
>>
>>46734862
>The theme of those games is war, calling a game a war game refers to the mechanics.

Yes, and the #1 most common mechanic in war games is area control. Oh look - Small World is abstract combat with the goal being area control for victory points. CitOW isn't abstract and it ALSO involves area control. Just like a metric ton of other classic war games. There are plenty of abstract historical war games that take place at the theater level. And there are plenty of other mechanics that are identical in purpose to those found in historical / modern / Sci-fi / and Fantasy war games. So unless you can come up with a definition of what mechanics do and don't constitute a war game that typical gamers would accept and it manages to exclude Small World and CitOW - you're shit outta luck.
>>
Anyone plays Star Realms here? I've gotten all for it and I want to reduce it to the absolute best. What do you guys do?
>>
>>46741869
Rahdo says duel did not replace standard because it's so aggressive and Rahdo is a complete and utter peacenik.
>>
Anyone here played Nautilus Industries? It's pretty for a stock market game, and I like the theme. How heavy is it gameplay-wise? Good if I want to add a moderate-ish Euro to my collection?
>>
Could everyone please stop saying La GranYAH when you pronounce La Granja? It's La GranHA. Even youtube reviewers do this.
>>
File: goban.jpg (72 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
goban.jpg
72 KB, 500x345
>>46742079

Ummmm...

That's mostly going to be abstract strategy games and some eurogames.
>>
>>46742561
First time hearing of it.
>>
>>46742593

Probably not.
It would make me look like a pretentious cunt.
>>
>>46742888
Not, necessarily.
>>
>>46742916
No, it would make you look like someone that knows Spanish, like i do. Se dice La Granja, para ser honesto contigo, familia.
>>
>>46742079

The Duke
Coup
>>
So my sister boyfriend got her Clue... how do I make the game better so it doesn't feel like wasted money.
>>
>>46731852
Can't really post if I'm spending my whole weekend playing, can I?

Visited a friend out of state, got to play on his custom DIY gaming table (sorry no pic). Table was very nice for gaming, if not a couple inches too short for me. Probably perfect height for most people though. We played
>Splendor
>Small World (fuck Hill Dwarves)
>Power Grid (fuck me I can never predict the final turn I was so close)
>a whole bunch of ONUW
>Hanabi
>Takenoko (my first play, won by spamming objectives at the end. Can't decide if that's a flaw or fine)

Then back at the meetup
>Battlecruisers (Libertalia lite, though honestly not a microgame like it was billed. It's about equal to Seventh Hero in components, length, and in fun. Just okay, but I'm definitely giving it another chance. Maybe different setups are shorter/more fun)
>7 Wonders: Duel (finally... It was exactly as good as I expected, enjoyed it a lot. Those gold cards are super powerful though, they're like the science cards of 7 Wonders because of how powerful they can be if your opponent lets you have too many. One mostly on the strength of my treasury. Was one space away from a loss due to military though)
>Tokaido (first play. It's pretty good, very subtle strategies at work)
>some bug-themed trick taking game(not fun to play but it's so close to being cool. The bug types for each suit I think needs tweaking, maybe more set collection elements)
>>46733337
>>46735734
>>46742150
The best-fitting genre term
for these two is "area control." Not trying to be prescriptive, but this is the widely-accepted term used to avoid confusion. Normally the determining factor is whether "simulation" was a primary design goal. But for all genre in all media, exact definitions elude us. "You know when you see it"
>>46741869
He's wrong. That said, these >>46742011 >>46742118 are 100% on the money
>>
File: ClueDicelessReferenceCard_v2.jpg (2 MB, 1348x1051) Image search: [Google]
ClueDicelessReferenceCard_v2.jpg
2 MB, 1348x1051
>>46743124
>>
>>46742150
Different anon, but I would definitely consider Twilight Struggle (the game where you lose if you go to war) and Battlelore (a C&C game) both classified as "non-abstract 2 player games" to be more like typical wargames than Small World. The archetypal wargame is really a classic Avalon Hill hex-and-counter like Afrika Korps or Panzerblitz, it's a pity to see that none of those games are represented. Also missing are the other popular staples of wargaming: block wargames like Napoleon's Triumph and CDG wargames like Paths of Glory.

Really the "wargames" list should probably be divided into light and heavy like euros were.
>>
>>46743124
Have some beers while you play, turn the movie on in the background, and play this version: >>46743182
>>
>>46743182
>>46743258
While we are on the topic of making """""classic"""" games better... how about Risk? I've got a copy of Risk: Godstorm (first boardgame I ever bought when I re-discovered them, mainly because I remembered playing it years ago and having fun... but yeah later I discovered what a huge mistake I made, no one ever wanted to play it with me.
>>
>>46743379
Riskception.

Every battle is determined by a second game of risk.
>>
>>46743419
That's the worst thing I ever heard.
Also, this is /tg/, it's Shahriskzad.
>>
>>46743419
Lol no. That makes me remember that Unhinged/Unglued or whatever Magic: The Gathering tournament I played where there was a card that made us pause the game and start another game under the table before resuming the other one.
>>
>>46743555
>>46743560
How about these house rules?

1. Any player may forfeit at any time; his or her armies remain on the board and defend if attacked. The last remaining player wins.
2. A maximum of 10 armies may move into a new territory following a conquest, but more than that can be in a country following redeployment.
3. Instead of directly getting armies from owning a continent, owning a continent allows the drawing of an extra card.
4. Alliances can be drawn, and if an alliance is all that is left, all members of the alliance win.
5. If a player betrays his or her alliance, winning alone, he or she wins MORE. Because the game is called Risk, and that player took one and it paid off.
6. Play a little bit buzzed, and wear military general costumes.
>>
>>46743560
Shahrazad was from Arabian Nights and it's a legit card.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (46 KB, 380x520) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
46 KB, 380x520
>>46743830
>Shahrazad
I see. But I mean this one.
>>
File: Mcon_ST_4.jpg (251 KB, 1296x864) Image search: [Google]
Mcon_ST_4.jpg
251 KB, 1296x864
>>46743172
>The best-fitting genre term
>for these two is "area control." Not trying to be prescriptive, but this is the widely-accepted term used to avoid confusion.

And when one talks about 'war games' the most common comment is that they routinely revolve around 'area control'. This is especially true of the old classic 'hex and chit' style war games that have been around for decades. And both of the aforementioned games have this and other mechanics common to hex and chit style 'classic' war games.

> Normally the determining factor is whether "simulation" was a primary design goal.

That sounds reasonable at first glance, but fails the 'is it true of necessity and is it true in fact' test. The simulation comment begs the question "How does one 'simulate' the effects of fictional (and thus nonexistent) weapons against fictional (and thus nonexistent) space ships in war games like the classic 'Star Fleet Battles' game?" How about Dragon Fire or the effects of a God on a 'quasi-medieval battlefield'? It also ignores the very common fact that 'intended outcome' and 'actual result' are often far removed from each other.

> But for all genre in all media, exact definitions elude us. "You know when you see it"

Sorry, but I've got a background in fine arts among other things and that sentiment just plain comes off as intellectually lazy to be quite honest. I'm not expecting absolutes, but this "I'll know it when I see it" comment is overused garbage. We're NOT talking about Plato's 'Theory of the Forms' here. And it is not some vast intellectual undertaking to come up with a basic working definition of the term 'war game'.
>>
File: 119980.jpg (36 KB, 324x450) Image search: [Google]
119980.jpg
36 KB, 324x450
>>46743885
>>46743830
No wonder it didn't look familiar... it's actually THIS ONE.
>>
File: Starship Troopers Board.jpg (80 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
Starship Troopers Board.jpg
80 KB, 500x373
>>46743257
>Different anon, but I would definitely consider Twilight Struggle (the game where you lose if you go to war) and Battlelore (a C&C game) both classified as "non-abstract 2 player games" to be more like typical wargames than Small World.

And I wouldn't disagree with that a bit. My comments were in regards to the statement that Small World and CitOW aren't some sort of war game at all. I provided a simple and straight forward definition and why I thought both those games met that definition. So far no one has offered up a better definition and reasons as to why either or both would fail to meet that 'better' definition of what constitutes a war game.

> ... it's a pity to see that none of those games are represented. Also missing are the other popular staples of wargaming: block wargames.

>Really the "wargames" list should probably be divided into light and heavy like euros were.

Well, considering that none of the 'Suggestion' images are mine, I haven't simply redone them to suit my tastes. That said I'm a big fan of many of the classic 'hex and chit' games and have stuff like ASL, decades old copies of A.H.'s 'Starship Troopers', SPI's 'War of the Ring', or 'Panzergruppe Guderian' for example.

I'd love to see someone create a 'War Games' specific suggestions image. I'm also quite comfortable with the idea that the games selected in the 'War Games' are of the suggestions images are there because in many ways they're more approachable than games like ASL or Panzerblitz. It would be awesome to see a war games suggestions list that covered the spectrum of the genre. (Frankly each of the main board gaming genres could easily fill an image or two by themselves.)
>>
I need to get me a copy of Intrigue.
>>
File: cover_lg.jpg (127 KB, 427x642) Image search: [Google]
cover_lg.jpg
127 KB, 427x642
>>46684223
Does anyone know if Illuminati is any good?
>>
>>46745452

It's okay but not great.
There are better cards games.
>>
File: damnabledragonhoard.jpg (71 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
damnabledragonhoard.jpg
71 KB, 500x375
I know I'm probably dropping in from 2010 here, but does anyone know if it's even possible to get a decently priced copy of the original Three Dragon Ante? I spent far too long being far too broke and now that I finally have even a meager amount of expendable income the game is impossible to obtain.

I'd almost think a PDF of a hypothetical Print & Play exists somewhere... though I'm guessing whoever used to leak those things back at WotC has seen been drawn and quartered for treason.
>>
File: gw09_main.png (191 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
gw09_main.png
191 KB, 300x300
Should I buy Fury Of Dracula?

I have a small collection but no all v 1 / hidden movement types.
>>
>>46747631
It's hilariously lopsided in favor of the detectives or Dracula depending on whether he starts in England.
>>
>>46747739

Complete noob here, might I ask why that is the case?

Also, another other tips for beginner games?
>>
>>46747793
In England, Dracula can just keep looping around and then sail to Germany when someone is close to finding him. Elsewhere, the detectives to Drac ratio ensures he's found out before there's a serious chance of his succeeding, I'd need the math to prove it but anecdotal evidence en mass is almost as good.
>>
>>46747835

Ah, interesting to know.
>>
>>46737319
Yes. Very good game, you really can't go wrong with it and it plays up to 6. Plus there should be a modular expansion coming out this year which makes it even better.
>>
>>46747793
"Beginner games" is a bad statement in general, what kind of mechanics or type or games are you after in particular?

If it's in relation to other 1-v-all and hidden movement type games, then I'm not knowledgeable in that area, I only have Letters from Whitechapel and that's still sealed
>>
>>46722169
That's not what I mean. In none of the nine games have I played did any strategy involve unadulterated aggression and constantly getting up in each other's shit.
>If you want an epic miniatures game that really DOES encourage you fight, no matter the cost, Forbidden Stars remains completely awesome. If you want a cool miniatures game that’s brimming with axes, I’d do Battlelore. If you want a chaotic card game that actually has full-size cards, I’d play Cosmic Encounter. And if you want a cutthroat game of careful positioning, we love Cool Mini or Not’s own Dogs of War.
>>
>>46747593
>decent priced copy of 3 Dragon Ante
My holy grail anon. I know it's not a good game, I just want it for the D&D nostalgia.
>>
>>46743918
>how does one simulate fictional, fantasy, or sci-fi means of combat
"If this existed, this is how it would work." And then, "If this is how it works, then this is how I will simulate it." There's a good lecture series on YouTube about designing war games that I'm basing this point of view on.
>this "I know it when I see it" is overused garbage
But it's the legal definition of genre :^). I still think you're deliberately being contrarian to call Small World and Chaos war games
>>
>>46729712
>Literally gave me ear cancer
I hope you get better anon.
>>
>>46749509
>lecture series on YouTube about designing war games
Name or link? If you don't mind.
>>
>>46747945
Pretty easily fixed by allowing one or two hunters to start at arbitrary locations after Dracula picks his starting city. Both makes england less viable and makes continental europe more viable. Downside is it can also make the game more random if the hunters guess too well or too poorly.
>>
>>46745452
pretty bad card game imo. A bit like Munchkin: it's funny to read the jokes on the cards at first but the game becomes boring very fast.
>>
>>46747739
Eh, nothing beats playing the Ireland Gambit for the first time.
>>
>>46747793
Fury of Dracula is a very rules heavy game and if you aren't used to reading though long thick rulebooks you'll probably miss things or get confused as Fantasy Flight is still not that great at writing rulebooks.

Specter Ops is a great 1-vs-all hidden movement game that has pretty simple rules that you can explain in just a minute or two. I'm not sure if I'd call it quite a 'beginner' game though

Another good beginner game would be Pandemic which is a game where everyone works together to stop the world from falling apart due to horrific infections going everywhere (one of the expansions also adds a bioterrorist that one player can play and sneak around the board sowing chaos)
>>
>>46750239
George Phillies Designing Board Wargames
>>
>>46751327
I'd say it's a lot like Munchkin, but with the differing win conditions, and hidden information it's also quite a bit better of a game. The biggest problem is that like Munchkin (and Bang!) the game takes too long for what it is.
>>
File: pic2486481.jpg (7 MB, 3496x3496) Image search: [Google]
pic2486481.jpg
7 MB, 3496x3496
What does /tg/ think of Specter Ops?

I've been getting my group of friends (5 of us) interested in board games, and so far we've played Risk, Pandemic, and Betrayal at House on the Hill. We've enjoyed all of them so far, but Specter Ops will be our first hidden movement, 1 v All type of game.

Thoughts?
>>
>>46752965
Good game, but can be over dissapointingly quick if the agent screws up.
I don't think, overall, it's quite as tense as fury of dracula, but it's shorter, a little less punishing for the hunters, and has more interesting player powers.

Should work well for your group.
>>
File: 1460862593523.jpg (192 KB, 1107x1472) Image search: [Google]
1460862593523.jpg
192 KB, 1107x1472
So no one likes Last Night On Earth here anymore?

Problematic.
>>
>>46753363

Poor mans zombicide. For 20 dollars more, you can get a game with better components and doesn't have fugly aesthetics.

Yes, I know the games play differently, and yes, I know they were going for the B movie look. I still think they were just cuttings costs, and instead of hiring an artist, they just paid people to model for them, and put shitty photoshop filters over the images.
>>
File: Red.png (9 KB, 362x370) Image search: [Google]
Red.png
9 KB, 362x370
>>46751747
Thanks for that too!

>>46749509
>I still think you're deliberately being contrarian to call Small World and Chaos war games

Sorry, but your comment is 100% incorrect. I'm looking at this from the stand point of teaching people who are new to board gaming about the various genres.

I teach a variety of things for a living. Let me give you a couple of examples. A student in my tech class asks me "What is a CPU - a central processing unit?" And I reply "You'll know it when you see it". That would be an example of a teacher failing and failing hard! That answer presumes the person asking has a body of knowledge that they've clearly stated they lack. In order to enlighten them, I have to actually provide useful information, which is done with words that convey concepts, meaning, and often details too. And to do that successfully those words routinely have definitions. Which leads to the next example: 'Red' The color red has a commonly accepted definition. If two people are talking about the color 'Red' and not using the same definition, then they're not having and are incapable of having a meaningful conversation.

I provided a straight forward definition for war gaming and what characteristics are typical of games of that genre. But even using your incredibly vague and open end description...

> Normally the determining factor is whether "simulation" was a primary design goal.

Small World's tag line right on the box is "It's a world of *SLAUGHTER* after all..." It is very clearly meant to be an abstract simulation of fanciful (and silly) tribes of mythical creatures annihilating one another for control of hexs (like a metric-butt-load of other classic war games). Which clearly means that even *YOUR OWN DESCRIPTION* supports the conclusion that it's a war game.
>>
File: 1455146210204.jpg (414 KB, 1400x1243) Image search: [Google]
1455146210204.jpg
414 KB, 1400x1243
>>46753503
I've played both. LNOE is full of agency. Zombicide is complete group think garbo. Just my opinion but it seems like I have meaningful choices in LNOE and inZzombicide I'm a die rolling robot unless I want to make less optimal moves that are wholly against the party's wishes. You can go that route if you want but more often than not, you'll cause your group to lose that way in Zombicide.

I'll also take that over the cartoony look of Zombicide, which is edgy and garish to me. I did like the level up system in Zombicide, though. Also tying in spawns with the players level is a pretty good mechanic to ramp things up but that's all that game has going for it.
>>
>>46753503

See, I'm not the anon you're replying to, but Zombicide just doesnt cut it for me. All that bullshit with "runners" "brutes" and whatever the fuck they came up with... These arent the zombies I want. I just want Romero-Style Zombies. And I sure as fuck don't want any rollerskating chainsaw-wielding waitresses either.

And I kind of like the photo look, the pics are actually pretty well made. All the "actors" have this proper "90's horror flick" look. Not a bad job.
>>
File: pic2977400[1].jpg (736 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
pic2977400[1].jpg
736 KB, 1632x1224
>>46684223
>>
File: pic505060[1].jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
pic505060[1].jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
>>46753671
Oh man, someone in the comments of the painting document linked to in the Scythe update linked to a guy who painted THIS and decided he should start a how-to thread.
>>
>>46753715
Is that Count Chocula?
>>
>>46753715
>dracula
>vlad the impaler
>remover of kebab
>looks like a turk
Pottery.
>>
>>46684424

Double bonus points for rules which reference nonexistent rules and give page numbers.
>>
>>46692417

If you play with people who are dating, the game can become a proxy for their relationship. Drama ensues.
>>
>>46699893

First edition Fury of Dracula was what got me into board games. Great game, pretty self-explanatory, and you can teach an idiot child to play it in an evening. Theme is on point.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.