[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
40K Reboot Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 24
File: Vigilant_Guardsman.jpg (15 KB, 250x303) Image search: [Google]
Vigilant_Guardsman.jpg
15 KB, 250x303
Food for thought, /tg/...

Games Workshop approaches you with a proposition to reboot the 40K universe. The only condition is that the factions must retain their core identity (e.g. Eldar are still arrogant space elves, Tau are still diplomatic mech-lovers, etc).

What do?
>>
>>46666394
>make the Imperium less Lawful Evil
>make the Tau genuine good guys who just struggle with naivete, the small size of their empire and inferior technology
>make the Eldar good guys who just fucked up in the past and are trying to get their shit together
>make the Necrons good guys too, they're just sad, undead and terribly misunderstood
And most importantly
>introduce characters who actually fucking matter and open up a possibility of change from the all encumbering grimderpness of the Milky Way.
>>
Leaving everything the way it is, Expect The Emperor is slowly healing and all humanity needs to do is hold out for his Imperial Majesty to Return.
>>
>>46666890

YES
>>
>>46666394
Although there's a ridiculous amount of things that could be listed under this, my first order of business would be to sort out the sciences or fictional sciences behind virtually everything to at least a minimal level, allowing future writers to dependably take information from this while still having licence to write their own story.

Keep virtually all the 1st and 2nd rate canon, but tweek any areas where the power of narrative is disgustingly obvious or consistency is threatened.
>>
>>46666792
>imperium stays lawfull evil
>all other "evil" order factions become good
fuck off
>>
>>46666940
I meant to make it good too
>>
>>46666394
Give all races space marines and Tau-style mechs with different names. Think of all the money we'll save on playtesting when everyone uses the same rules! Then we'll just make each codex a little stronger than the last to drive sales up.
>>
>>46666394

>Imperium stays lawfully evil.
>Eldar more nationalistic, pining for the 'WE WUZ GODS' times that were nostalgic tinted and never happened.
>D.Eldar. Same.
>Necrons. Some wanting to be left alone. Some wanting to bring back the War in Heaven. Some under the direct influence of C'Tan wishing to enslave the galaxy.
>Big Brother Empire. Everyone is welcomed. Everyone is happy. But you can never leave alive.
>>
>>46666394
>Abbadon is slain by one of the chaos god's champions(Ahriman/Typhus/Kharn/Lucius) and Chaos becomes divided once more. Malal makes a reappearance as a minor faction
>The Emperor finally dies, splitting into about a dozen different shards that get emerge as leaders, each claiming to be the Emperor reborn.
>The Inquisition attempts to maintain the Imperium as it is now through constant occupation of major hive worlds and forge world
>several Imperial generals and Admirals create small warlord domains
>most spece marine chapters gravitate towards their prjenitor legions home worlds to try and recreate the legions to reconquer the imperium for the Emperor(s)
>The mechanicus is diced up by various imperial factions and forced to serve them.
>the Eldar and Dark Eldar throw down and end up destroying Comorragh and the various Craft worlds.
>Most Eldar now live their lives as raider corsairs fighting for good/evil
>The necrons Schism as the C'tan enslaved Necrons war against the free Necrons. They're still generally old and robotic
>The Tau Empire splits into a pair of warring factions with the Ethereals and Farsight duking it out for the fate of the tau people
>the Nids concentrate on one area of the galaxy to try and increase their numbers
>The Orks are perfect as they are
>>
File: Ethereal Concept Art.png (570 KB, 706x617) Image search: [Google]
Ethereal Concept Art.png
570 KB, 706x617
The Tau aesthetic would be redone to look less cleanly and pleasant and more like their original concept art. Pic related.

I'd restore the C'Tan as rulers of the Necrons. The C'Tan seek to defend the corporeal universe from the destructive power of Chaos by exterminating all organic life. I might even take the radical step of removing the biological origins of the Necrons: The Necrontyr created the Necrons to fight the War in Heaven, but the C'Tan then assumed direct control over them and used them for their own ends.

I'd open the Imperium to even more internal division. Heretical sects or political dissidents which have nothing to do with Chaos would be more common. The Logician alliance, for example, could become a major faction.
>>
Make the Imperium more tolerant of xenos. Have transsexual characters. Have female Orks.

40k suffers from testosterone poisoning.
>>
File: 1419913465591.jpg (37 KB, 649x472) Image search: [Google]
1419913465591.jpg
37 KB, 649x472
>>46669563
>>
File: bait_embarassing.png (20 KB, 357x339) Image search: [Google]
bait_embarassing.png
20 KB, 357x339
>>46669563
/out/ needs you.

Get there.
>>
Make it nobledark.
https://boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/45837174/
>>
>>46669481
Oh, and it goes without saying that I'd restore the original names of certain Imperial factions, instead of this "Astra Militarum" bull. I'd also come up with a consistent naming conventions for High Gothic.
>>
>>46666890
just give him a text-to-speech-device
>>
soft reboot back to the end of third edition

jump off from the resolution of the eye of terror campaign
>>
>>46666792
>Everyone is a good guy and helps everyone out :)

Fuck off
>>
>>46666792
>>make the Imperium less Lawful Evil
>>make the Tau genuine good guys who just struggle with naivete, the small size of their empire and inferior technology
>>make the Eldar good guys who just fucked up in the past and are trying to get their shit together
>>make the Necrons good guys too, they're just sad, undead and terribly misunderstood
>And most importantly
>>introduce characters who actually fucking matter and open up a possibility of change from the all encumbering grimderpness of the Milky Way.

But this goes against every concept of 40k. The whole galaxy is just....uncaring. Everyone is replacable, except maybe the most important characters, like Big E, the Chaos Gods and maaaayyybe Eldrad Ulthran and Ghazghkull.
>>46669802
>I'd also come up with a consistent naming conventions for High Gothic.
Would make everything a bit easier to read, but from a lore pov I'd say it's okay. You have a whole galaxy full with humans. Not everyone is going to speak perfect high gothic. Nowadays eople on earth already have problems with speaking/writing english properly. That's not going to become better in 40.000 years.
>>
>>46666394
>Imperium becomes more pragmatic, yet at the same time it becomes less totalitarian. It's still paranoid, genocidal and xenophobic/xenocidal, but it's only the worlds closest to Terra. The farther from Terra, the less xenocidal people are and instead there is realpolitik going along while people are still distrustful of aliens.
>Tau become more Orwellian. The only guys that can be seen as likeable in the Tau Empire are the Fire Warriors and the Earth Caste along with some Ethereals.
>Chaos Space Marines have the Stupid Evil thrown out the window and replaced with titanic amounts of hardcore and pragmatism to the point that they are back to being 3rd ED. Also the Veterans of The Long War and other ancient Chaos Marines sometimes get moments when they are fed up with Chaos and go their own path.
>Eldar become slightly less jerkass and actually try to make alliances. Altansar Eldar become Eldar Demonhunters.
>Necrons are pretty much the same, but the Thok is slightly more benevolent than it is now. To the point that they allow people to settle down on their worlds as long as they won't do something that will cause them to rev up those Gauss Flayers.
>Space Marines in general are more liberal in the use of the Codex Astartes. Ultramarines now utilize EVERYTHING in the Codex and after the 1st Tyrranic War they become more pragmatic.
>Grey Knights used to kill people if they even saw anything Chaos related. They then met a daemon of Khorne that was the physical manifestation of the united grudges of the people they killed. Now they go to great length to mind-probe and mind-scribe people.
>DEldar are the same as always.
>Tyranids get more fluff about them and more victories even if they don't manage to get that bio-mass.
>>
>>46672364
I like it.

I like it a lot.
>>
>>46666792
Thank fuck liberals aren't in charge of 40k
>>
>>46672657
Can't think what more I can alter.

Was thinking about an in-universe thing with the Space Wolves and the whole wolf thing finally acknowledged as a translation error and had professional translators translate the whole Fenrisian thing properly.

Hence Wolf Lords become Jarls, The Fang becomes The Aett, and so on with the exception of the few things like the Wolf Guard that were already named like this.
>>
>>46672805
Sounds good.
>>
>>46670893
>Tau
>Inferior Tech
>being this Imperial
>>
>>46672364
>>Imperium becomes more pragmatic, yet at the same time it becomes less totalitarian. It's still paranoid, genocidal and xenophobic/xenocidal, but it's only the worlds closest to Terra. The farther from Terra, the less xenocidal people are and instead there is realpolitik going along while people are still distrustful of aliens.
I like this bit. You could even get a spectrum from the mutant & xeno hating core world Purists, to ones who are willing to tolerate abhumans like ogryns and ratlings, to fringe worlds that are alright with using xenos as cannon fodder.
>>
>>46666394
>Deldar become relevant beyond raids
>Emps dies and is either reborn or turns into a real god
>Flesh out the whole Illuminati/Sensei issue
>Necrons and Nids aquire personalities beyond murderrobots/murderbugs
>Non-Chaos AdMech splits off, worships Omnissiah instead of Emperor
>Chaos becomes less insane and murdery, influence on real world is increased (e.g. demons fucking with planets for lels, nurglings in the sewers an such stuff)
>[spoilers]Slaneesh is also the god of lewdness[/spoiler]
>Space Marines do have penises and they work
>they use them
>they're sterile tho
>Ultramarines are removed without replacement
>>
>>46673013
I'd love to flesh out the Iron Hands Clans, but I'd need some time on it.

>>46673159
Yeah. This whole xenocidal 24H a day is kind of too monotonous, so better to have them this way. it also would show an interesting thing with the Eldar being wrong that every human is the same.
>>
>>46666394
>Ghazghkull arrives at Cadia with the biggest Waaagh the galaxy has ever seen. Rumors say Angron is also on his way
>Imperium and Eldar craftworlds make a secret alliance, the last ones help the humans with the Golden Throne, the seers who assist on this can feel the emperor is indeed not dead, but healing, very slowly
>The Imperium start to spare some xeno species as long as they stay confined to their planets, under Imperial command, and worship the Emperor
>A fleet from of non-corrupted marines from the traitor legions appears out of nowhere, they ask to fight for the Emperor again, the loyalists don't know what the fuck to do with them
>Malal is a canon chaos god, the Alpha Legion serves him, as well as one eldar craftworld that can navigate inside the Eye of Terror
>Necrons are still genociders controlled by the C'Tan but some are starting to liberate themselves from them
>Demons who represent the hope of humanity exist, they're considered the will of the Emperor and fight along men when invoked
>Ethereals were created and being controlled by the C'Tan, the rest of casts discover this and civil war happens
>Some hints discovered would prove the tyranids are actually running from someone else, and they evolved this way because they needed to continue feeding without leaving their hive fleets
>>
>>46673159
I like this idea. It would make for intersting conflicts between more orthidox and liberal factions.

I'd also have the Imperium less technologically stagnant. It just takes a while for improvements to make it from the Core worlds to other parts of the empire. Fringe worlds might even dabble in xenos tech, to try and make up for what they lack technologically.

Armies from fringe worlds might utilize aliens and xeno tech, along with differences in dogma, to the point where a Fringe world army and a Chaos warband might be hard to differentiate.
>>
>>46666394
Add Squats, Hrud & Rak'Gol.
>>
>>46673673
Agreed. Though I'd change the part with xeno tech into that the Fringe Worlds do try to make their own tech by analyzing xeno tech and trying to make their own Imperial versions of it.

AdMech would send as many Skiitari as it is possible to stamp out this kind of tech-heresy and enslave everyone on the planet. On the other hand certain AdMech members themselves would try to do the same, but lower ranked Tech-Priests would be playing essentially the Valhallan Roulette if they are not at least Magos ranked.

AND WHEN UNCOVERED...
>>
>>46673162
Gayboy
>>
File: 1460537637422.png (202 KB, 875x856) Image search: [Google]
1460537637422.png
202 KB, 875x856
>>46666394
We are 31k now. Horus Heresy just ended. Many worlds were lost to anarchy, xenos and chaos. Traitors are licking their wounds. There are rumors that Horus was resurrected by dark gods and gathers new strength to claim his father's throne. Surviving primarchs lead the Imperium in the absence of the Emperor.

Xenos prey on weakened Imperium and plot to crush humanity once and for all. Many worlds fallen to Orks and new unknown species were spotted at the Eastern Fringe.

Also make primarchs regular marine size.
>>
>>46673334
I'd have each Iron Hand clan be the size of chapter and operate as an independent chapter.

They elect Chapter Masters on an as needed basis based on age to victory ratios, time spent in the Death Watch and losses/kill count.

Everyone gets real twitchy when they Legion up. They needn't. All the clans have long standing grudges and rivalries with every other clan and would never agree to anything but temporarily being subject to a brother from a different clan.
>>
>>46666394
>Imperium fragmented as a new one is formed by Space Marine chapters and Imperial Guard who are fed up with the Inquisition. This separation includes all of the First Founding chapters, and the vast majority of the other chapters.
>Tau are now lead by a dynasty of figureheads who decide what the greater good means and where their Empire is going. New figurehead is decidedly war-like because he wants to spread "the universal cause of good." Now aligned tightly with the Eldar, as the Eldar believe they are their best option to rising again to power in the Galaxy.
>Chaos Space Marines stay mostly the same, but get a better fucking codex.
>Orks have defeated Hive Fleet Leviathan, and Waaagh Ghazghkull is on a collision course with the Necrons, who Gork and Mork are guiding them against so they can complete the destiny they were designed for.
>Necrons are both the horror of the past and the saviors of the Galaxy. Are locked into a thousand battlefields trying to stamp out both the Orks and the Nids completely. After all, if the Galaxy is destroyed, what will there be for the Silent King to rule?

Just some general ideas I've come up with that I think are pretty neat.
>>
>>46670893
>not everyone is going to speak perfect high gothic
Almost no one speaks high gothic. And the point of it is that it is the same everywhere and through 10 000 years.
>>
>>46674036
That would be fine. Also they still have a Clan Council where they meet up, but most of the time they stick to their own businesses.

But when the situation is severe and the Clans need to really ruin someone's day, then they do choose one of the Chapter Masters as a somewhat Supreme Commander for the duration of the wrecking.

And then, when united for such moments, do the Iron Hands show why people should not even tempt to anger them.
>>
>Ultramarines reabsorb the rest of Guilliman's children
>Calgar dies in battle, leaving Cato Sicarius in charge
>Proceeds to skullfuck all xenos scum around Ultramar
>Destroy the Tau
>Kaldor Draigo returns
>Rapes Chaos alongside the Grey Knights
>Abaddon launches his 13th Black Crusade and dies
>His forces are dispatched by Space Marines and the IG
>Sisters of Battle stop being produced as a playable army and are merged with the Grey Knights Codex as an auxiliary, similar to how Kroot are
>Speaking Kroot and Vespids, they are completely removed in order to shift the focus to the death of the Tau
>Rehire Ward
>Create a new "Galaxy's End" themed starter set
>Features the Ultramarines led by an exclusive Emperor model (a modified Karamazov) and a contingent of Custodes vs Chaos
>Due to having the Emperor, the Ultramarines player automatically wins
>Issue a statement from GW to the world restating that Squats will never come back
>>
File: 8Bit Stupidity.jpg (68 KB, 177x219) Image search: [Google]
8Bit Stupidity.jpg
68 KB, 177x219
>>46674374
>>
>>46674242
I have it be a very rare thing to happen. In 10,000+ years it's happened a few dozen times and only lasts for a few years before it all falls apart after a bitter family row.

Because of this worrying behaviour the High Lords have never commissioned the creation of new Iron Hands chapters.

Such other chapters as there are descend from clans that had a disagreement with the Council and left to make their own chapter. With Black Jack and hookers.
>>
>>46666394
>Orcs are no longer semi-sentient magical fungus
>Ultramarines all died nobly in some massive battle to save some major/magic McGuffin
>Squats exist in small numbers as either mercenaries or Tau allies, just because Squats
>Like >>46666890 said, the Emp is on the up and up, but it makes those who don't want him to recover fight all the harder to kick him while he's down
>High quality, custom armies have a chance of making it into future codices as legit minor groups, just because of the rule of awesome
>>
File: Gorgon Terminator 2.jpg (65 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
Gorgon Terminator 2.jpg
65 KB, 800x680
>>46674419
That's a good one. Liking this one.

Makes the angry cyborg marines more believable.

Though the whole Sapphire Prince incident still would happen...

That part was from my P.O.V. a good character development.
>>
>>46674114
>>46670893
>>46669802
I like the idea of there being literal Grammar Nazis in setting. With a million worlds, the empire can't afford to deal with problems caused by multiple dialects. There's an entire sub branch of the Munitorium devoted to stamping out aberrations in High Gothic. Violently if necessary.
>>
>>46674858
Ouch. Now that would be evil.
>>
>>46674858
There's already a branch of the sororitas that this would probably come under.
>>
>>46666394
It's fine as is, what I would do though is fire the guy who names shit. We don't need anymore blood missiles for the Blood Angels.
>>
>>46674980
WOLF FISTS
BLOOD MISSILES

I agree on this.
>>
File: i84eq.jpg (28 KB, 300x359) Image search: [Google]
i84eq.jpg
28 KB, 300x359
>>46674858
>>
>>46674974
The Sisters of Immaculate Conjugation?
>>
>>46674858
>>46674974
The schola progeneum supplies the adepts used by the munitorum and administratum

Schola graduates basically have special forces training and indoctrination. They beat dissenters to death in the data stacks on occasion.
>>
>>46675124
The Orders Dialogous.
>>
>>46666792
I like this except the part about necrons
they're mostly fine as they are.
>>
>>46674858
This, just don't make it outright GRIMDERP
>>
>>46666890
This and the closer the emperor is to restoring the more psykers pop up in larger numbers including people becoming psykers much later in life. Shit hits the fan.
>>
>>46675367
>literal grammar nazis who kill people to preserve language
>but don't make it grimderp
>>
>>46666394
I'll be honest; im not a especially big fan of most of the suggestions put out in this thread.
>>
>>46675453
You're anonymous you don't have to sugarcoat it. What ideas would you go with if you were in charge of rebooting it?
>>
>>46669563
Transsexual Characters might die from testosterone poisoning.
>>
>>46675380
It is a bit over the top. But it actually makes sense, in a weird way.

Doubly so in a setting where the wrong person saying the wrong words at the wrong time can summon demons.
>>
>>46675539
Well, frankly, I dont find too much offensive fluffwise. 40k is presented as a pretty immersive world already, but anyways:
>>Space marines now come in chapters of 10,000, so that more marines can actually make a difference. Legions were in the low millions
>>Imperial guard are fairly the same, but more focus on being meatshields and a grinder thanks to the numerous space marines.
>>Sisters of battle grow in numbers, and go into battle with literal maryter devices, allowing the sisters to sucicde as they wish.
>>Mechanicus are now a major military purveyor as well, with armies sent to support the others in a war of information
>>Xeno's are still hated, but they are not on the same level as Heretics or Chaos

Xeno wise;
>>Dark Eldar are numerous and even more vile, but regularly are the first ones to stop Daemonic incursions, and specifically target Chaos raiders as much as possible. Meanwhile, the Craftworlds are way more selfish, looking oyt strictly for themselves. The harlequins are basically cool with everyone
>>Necrons are in the middle if a civil war, those whi follow the Ctan and those who reject them. Tyranids are a limited and terrifying force, but are not coming in one huge wave. Instead, they are more like random pockets, slithering into the galaxy at random.
>>
>>46666890
That small sliver of hope in a dark world, love it!

Then there are the vast ideological beliefs in what causes him to heal faster - prayer or sacrifice on the battlefield!
>>
>>46673159
Would reflect the feudal structure of the Imperium quite well - with the laws of the empire being most strongly enforced at its core.
>>
>>46673334
I don't think they mean that literally, just that we're all highly and hilariously susceptible to the same shit.
>>
>>46673554
>>Demons who represent the hope of humanity exist, they're considered the will of the Emperor and fight along men when invoked
That would explain the Sanguinior
>>
>>46666792
>mfw people don't realize this guy is just quoting current 40k fluff
>>
>>46676396
Also Celestine and other imperial saints.
>>
a great new year's party is held on terra

it is now the year 41000

nothing is different.
>>
>>46666394
only thing i change qith the imperium is that the emperor isnt really dying, but that he will probably be stuck on the golden throne.

the eldar are not dying out, the craft worlds certainly are, but the exodite worlds are for the most part growing,and the craft worlds recruit from exodite worlds like the imperium does from its worlds.

Necrons want their empire back, more interested in subjugation than extermination.

chaos is the same

tau are the same, if perhaps a bit more modern china than maoist china.

dark eldar are growing very fast, and are a significant threat to worlds near webway gates. the more powerful aristocrats are actual vampires, drinking actual blood (along with souls)
>>
I'd leave it mostly the same, but add a few new races and armies.

Put the Squats back because space dofs are always fucking tits. Obviously, gonna need Chaos Squats too.

Give the Lost and the Damned a proper place in the story to justify an actual codex and model range.

Just small shit like that.
>>
>>46666890
yes please let this happen i love it
>>
>>46666940
bruh he's literally just saying how shit is in the fluff now
>>
>>46666890
GW take note of this.
>>
>>46673554
huh, I really REALLY like this
>>
>>46683441
Gee dubs doesn't do internet
>>
File: Tom.jpg (58 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Tom.jpg
58 KB, 250x250
>>46670702

Sometimes, even in a sea of shit, one can find a nugget of pure gold.

I hereby nominate this anon for the Golden Space Peanut award for Excellence in Unfucking.
>>
>>46666394
>Tau are still diplomatic mech-lovers

Tau are Marxists, and perhaps the most insidiously evil faction in 40k.
>>
>>46686934
This. I'd see Tau becoming less noblebright than they are currently and more Orwellian and Totalitarian. Even more so than the Imperium while keeping up the facade that they look like the good guys.

I'd also see that some Tau are slowly fed up with the bullshit and see the Farsight Enclaves as the true vision of the Greater Good made manifest (even extending it to some Ethereals that think it's a giant missing the point to control the populace).

Fire Warriors have to go with this bullshit because honor and some thinking it's necessary since they did not experience true freedom.
>>
>>46673554
Fund it
>>
>Malal reappears with a legion of space marine (sons of malice/alpha legion?/rogue marines)
>drives a spear through the allegiance of the four big chaos gods
>The Imperium struggles to capitalize on the Chaos civil war but slowly begin to stockpile weapons in the brief lull as the eye of terror becomes more unstable and chaos is to busy warring within.
>Ultramarine forces join a crusade against the tau and burn many of their agro worlds, resulting in the tau empire becoming space Stalingrad.
>Civil war in tau space as farsight tries to capitalize on the siege
>Guard don't attack only siege so don't do anything about it
>some idiot inquisitor calls the space wolves mutants/heretics loudly enough that others hear before he's yiffed to death.
>after a short period of escalation a DA fleet shows up above Fenris and nukes the fuck out of it.
>Space yiffs now hide in cave building yiff forces to punch Dark LOYALISTS in the dick
>Free Necron forces duke it out with Ctan Necrons in their civil war
>Small infighting between and inside various imperial factions. >Not outright civil war but sort of cold war
>Tyranids revealed to be running from something, but not exactly what
Works finally fucking conquer Armageddon and begin building up forces as imps retreat to friendly space
>Eldar have their civil war ofc, end up in small raiding clans.
>Space dorfs reintroduced
>Massive imperial buildup by various warlords as part of cold war between imp factions and cos all xenos to busy fighting
>High lords let it happen then requisition forces
>Emprahs body begins rotting as his soul begins to become one with warp
>sighting of 'angels' from the very infrequent border skirmishes the imps have with xenos
>emprahs soul calms the warp so much no navigator needed for travel around Sol.
>>
>setting starts as all forces come out of their civil wars to find the imperium much stronger outwardly (if more politically unstable), chaos is still in turmoil but is able to project well around eye of terror.
Yiffs basically dead. Their own faction but imperium very powerful with lots of new toys
Eldar only in small bands but wielding powerful tech
Necrons in smaller bands, also wielding very powerful weapons unseen before
Tau now hardened and less naïve, have emphasis on grav tanks on not on gundam now
Orks have massive amount of boys now, also have more dakka and better at shooting
Tyrannies have quicker evolutions that lead to much more different tyrannids on each planet
Many smaller factions introduced with only small forces like inot! Cthulu etc.
Setting one big clusterfuck again put slowly progresses and GW uses tournaments and campaigns to progress fluff, takes input from fanbase.

Sadly the last bit is less realistic than the rest.
>>
>>46687147
>>46687107
Sorry for bad English am from New Zealand
>>
> Space Marines were split into Batallions of 10 chapters after the Heresy. This makes more sense now legions were 100,000ish instead of 10,000ish.

> As mentioned earlier, Tau are more like their gritty original concept art

> Squats are a thing and make use of stone monoliths with runes and other trippy technology. Serious dorfs in spess.

> A codex for an minor Xenos and renegade humans whether allied or not. Make models for Rak'Gol, Fra'Al, Umbra etc

> The average feudal/primitive imperial citizen knows about chaos, but more civilised worlds write it off as superstition until they see it.

> Malal is canon and has the Alpha Legion

> Legion of the Damned are actually second or eleventh legion survivors lost in the warp

> sometimes 'Emperor daemons' manifest and fight alongside individuals of extreme faith, but they are rare and usually one or two dudes. Think a HQ.
>>
>>46686934
>Tau are...the most insidiously evil faction in 40k

that is bullshit and you know it you fucking retard
>>
>>46666394
If what includes Necrons staying crazy Egyptian emobots who whine about their bodies, then no deal. Oldcrons or bust.
>>
>>46666394

Rebooting the 40k universe is an exercise in futility; the only way to progress it would be to set it in 50k or 45k. I'd have the Emperor either finally waking up or finally dying only to reincarnate and call his legions back for Siege of Terra 2.0, which the Imperium WINS because Armless the Despoiler is still only an echo of Horus. The much-reduced traitor legions slink back to the Eye for a few thousand years and Tyranids rise as the major galactic threat. By the time of 45k/50k, here's how things play out:

>Imperium is much smaller, many worlds were lost when the Astronomican went out, and they're still fairly divided on the 'Big E, god or not?' debate, but life has improved for Average Joe since Chaos isn't much in the picture anymore
>Tau have become just a bit less brainwashy/sterlize-y and have expanded considerably. Millenia of war has significantly eroded their 'we must save the galaxy from itself' mindset, and they now seek to at least ally with those they can't change the minds of - with varying success
>Orkz are Orkz
>Necrons continue to expand and become more personable, although they still mostly view organics as pests
>Eldar are a bit less uptight since Slaanesh's power has waned but it's also made the more arrogant and cocky
>Chaos emerges from the Eye as a much more organized force seeking to expand its territory; the 2nd Siege of Terra was a wake up call for the legions, so they've mostly got their shit together. Most of the veterans of the Long War died in the second Siege of Terra, so the younger generations in power now don't share the same frothing need to raze Terra although that's still on the to-do list. The majority of Alpha Legion, led by Alpharius, rejoined the Imperium at the 2nd Siege of Terra, while Omegon leads the traitorous Hydra's Eye.
>>
>more clearly define an identity for chaos both in lore and the tablet ok p
>scale all the population sizes/army sizes/battle sizes to fit galactic scale warfare, or at the very least, to match each other.
>establish a strict setting bible and a creative control board to enforce it acriss all properties, particularly BL novels.
>quality control it too
>replace the origins of 3/4 chaos gods from events on fucking earth with the war in heaven version
>particularly getting right of the notion that the chaos gods were inevitable, or are universal forces stretching beyond the galaxy
>occasionally imply that humanity might be ABOUT to create a chaos god in the person of the emperor.
>>
>Cadia falls to Chaos

>The Imperium lauches a desesperate crusade to reconquer the Cadian Gate.

>The leader of the crusader is a religious zealot/military genius, Cromwell style.

>He manages to push the Chaos Forces back, and returns to Terra as a hero.

>The soldiers of the crusade see him as a living saint.

>The High Lords, fearful of his popularity, try to murder him. They fail, and the crusader army sacks Holy Terra.

>The crusaders name their leader as Regent Prince of the Imperium, and he calls for a new, radical interpretation of the Imperial Faith, which challenges the power of the Ecclesiarchy and quickly spreads for most of the Imperium. The rebellion expands to most of the Segmentum Solar.

>The Dark Angels pledge their loyalty to the Ecclesiarchy, and launch an invasion to retake Terra with their entire legion.

>The Space Wolves, with other chapters, recognise the Regent Prince as the lawful leader of the Imperium and attack the Dark Angels.

>The Ultramarines and their descendent chapters declare neutrality and retreat to Ultramar, preparing to fight against the Tyranids.

>The Thirty Years War in spess begins
>>
>>46689244
That would be fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (264 KB, 995x740) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
264 KB, 995x740
>>46666394
Do this
>>46666890

And also add lizardmen into 40k, as well as taking the other good aspects of WHFB missing from 40k and adding it in, so that they aren't lost to time when AoS inevitably fails.

Keep everything else mostly the same, with a few minor changes, like undoing the retcon that all the black crusades were actually successes and all the other shit carnac likes to argue for.
>>
File: Everybody do the dinosaur.gif (3 MB, 200x156) Image search: [Google]
Everybody do the dinosaur.gif
3 MB, 200x156
>>46666890

This
>>
File: 1078328-bigthumbnail.jpg (106 KB, 450x288) Image search: [Google]
1078328-bigthumbnail.jpg
106 KB, 450x288
>Emperor's remains disappear from the golden throne.
>Rumour leaks of Emperors disappearance.
>Imperium close to the point of a second civil war.
>Chaos launch huge crusade
>Ork waaaggh reaches critical mass
>New Tyrand Hive Fleets appear and devastate Imperial space
>Ad Mech on the point of full scale revolt
>Necrons awake on mass, including a tomb world on Mars.
>Eldar and DEldar decline further and isolate further.
>Tau Technology explodes and the Tau Empire expands vastly.
>Everything builds up to an eventually giant climax on Terror, which a huge Chaos Vs Ad Mech Vs Imperium battle, as the Emp reappears with the two lost legions. Unites all of humanity again under a single banner just in time for the awakening of the Void Dragon on Mars.
>41K begins
>2nd Great Crusade begins
>Emp is a god
>Void Dragon is chief bad guy
>Chaos Gods are defeated by the fifth god Mala who unites Chaos under one banner
>Tau psykers appear, civil war begins between Etherals and Psykers. Psykers win and Tau become more powerful. Farsight becomes Tau Emperor.
>All hell breaks loose.
>>
>>46666394

Keep it all the same. But Tau take over the imperium and man become the new Eldar when the Emperor dies.
>>
File: 1459322452433.gif (4 MB, 375x281) Image search: [Google]
1459322452433.gif
4 MB, 375x281
>>46666792
>lets introduce a bunch of "relatable heros" with plot armor to save the galaxy

Fuck no
>>
>>46691685
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>46691920
Replace Imperium with Tau.

Replace Eldar with Imperium

Eldar become extinct.

Emperor becomes god

Terra blowd up.
>>
I use my position as an opportunity to make tabletop gaming more progressive.

Change all the quotations to involve gender neutral language, remove the sexist imperiopatriarchy, show that xenos species are oppressed minorities.

"Xie who stands beside me shall be my xibling."
>>
>>46692104
Meanwhile, in the Dr Who writers studio.
>>
Everything would be the same.

Except. The emperor is corrupted by chaos and Horus is the one who stays pure.
>>
File: 1454541270945.jpg (47 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1454541270945.jpg
47 KB, 500x400
>>46666394
Keep it mostly the same, just clean things up and include a few gentle retcons and tone-shifts.
>Space Marines are, on average, seven and a half feet tall. Large men, especially in armor, but the best defence against them isn't low ceilings and small doors.
>Sisters get a boost. They are not better, or even equal to SM, but they have specialized training in how to fight and kill renegades. Their job is watching the watchmen, and it is known that Astartes can be very reluctant to attack each other, hence the whole Badab mess.
>In general, give the "lol WE WIN" factions (Tau, SM) a few hits, and give the "bitch" factions that fail all the time (Sisters, Dark Eldar) a few significant wins that show off whats good about them.
>Change the Primarch names. Angron is just a bit too silly of a name for an actually decent-ish character. Humorous literary references on the sly (more subtle than Lion el'Johnson) are ok, but calling the angry guy Angron is just lazy.
>Drop most HH fluff back to the Index Astartes days. Stories about it are deliberately contradictory and vague. Several Legions (Ultramarines, Dark Angels, maybe Alpha Legion) were almost certainly waiting out the fight to see who was stronger/playing both sides.
>In general, portray Space Marines as totally capable of being heroic, but their leadership as also capable of being cynical and embroiled in complex politics. Look at the real world military orders of the Crusades for inspiration.
>Tau really are impressed with a lot of Imperial Tech. Imperial Tech is actually some of the best in the galaxy, the Tau's big advantage is that they can mass produce the equivalent of a plasma gun and install better safety features.

(1/2)
>>
File: 1448682850790.jpg (391 KB, 900x559) Image search: [Google]
1448682850790.jpg
391 KB, 900x559
>>46693032
(2/2)
>Give the Tau a BIG loss. Total rout. Countless dead, a significant loss of territory and military strength, a defeat so horrible it scars the Tau psyche. Then mention that this was done with a tiny fraction of Imperial strength, little more than a punitive raid to keep those uppity aliens in line.
>Bring back oldcrons, mix with newcrons. The C'tan are attempting to reassert control. They are winning. The Necron rebellion FAILED UTTERLY because you DON'T GET OUT OF A FAUSTIAN BARGAIN. The Silent King's big victory was installing code that would let some Tomb Worlds Awaken early, before the C'tan could take them over again. Also, Necrons still have reliable, safe FTL tech that is not warp or webway based, because they're Necrons.
>Bring back lesser Chaos Gods and Daemons of said gods. Things are a little too neat and organized right now, I want more of the weird stuff.
>Inflate space marine numbers some. Someone upthread said 10k per chapter, that doesn't sound too bad to me, maybe even 100k with Legions numbering several million. Remember they're Jannissaries: the best of the best, but they do dangerous work and have a grotesquely high attrition rate. And remember that they're small... for a galaxy-spanning military.
>>
File: 1379715703310.jpg (461 KB, 1280x1964) Image search: [Google]
1379715703310.jpg
461 KB, 1280x1964
>>46693141
I would make it with the space marines that the 1st founding Chapters are all at or about the 10k mark. They own their own planets and surrounding solar system and sometimes even their own little empires.

2nd founding are all 1k with the exception of the Templars. They own their own planets and solar systems and basically started out as mini-me versions of their parent chapters.

3rd and later founding chapters, of which their are fucking loads of, don't own their own worlds unless they go out and conquer one.

Most Imperial planets with a population over 1 billion have a chapter of the 3rd or later founding.

The Black/Red/White/Gold/Chrome/Emerald/Iron and many others Templars are the exception. Nobody is quite sure how many of them there are. They have discreet recruitment stations on many, many worlds from one edge of the galactic disc to the other. This pisses off many of the other chapters whose turf they are trespassing on.

The Templars are a chimeric chapter/legion/loose amalgamation of nutters. They started off as pure Dorn stock but then dissatisfied members of other 2nd founders started to join them.

They are tolerated because they always come when called if they are in. The Imperium has no shortages of war and that what they are for. They have few ships and so often get deployed alongside the Imperial Guard they had to share a ride with. There are the single largest contributor to the Deathwatch, are often found in the retinues of Inquisitors and commonly tag along with companies of other chapters and bolster their numbers. For this assistance their deviancy is tolerated.

It is estimated that their numbers could be as high as 25,000 - 30,000. Their High Marshal, who heads the recruitment station on Old Earth, is the only one who might sort of know how many of them there are and roughly where most of them are. But probably not.

So long as a single one of them marches to war the Great Crusade is not over because they haven't stopped.
>>
>>46693032
>>46693141
why are you not working for GW? is it because they don't want good talent in their studio anymore?
>>
We need to bring back Chaos Androids.

The first batch are a bunch of pre-Strife era relics that woke up in M34 due to Mechanicus dickweeds poking shit that shouldn't be poked.

They waged costly and devastating war for 30 years that saw swathes of space depopulated and a body count in the trillions.

The pitiful few of them fled to the Eye of Terror because that place attracts bad like flies to shit.

The second batch, the ones fucking shit up in the late 41st millennium, were created by the Tau. Despite the Imperiums warnings, the eldars warnings and the warnings of half their client species including humans the Tau of course knew better than those unsophisticated and superstitious savages.

It would be nice to think that they learned a valuable lesson. It's doubtful.
>>
File: 1458106323785.png (1 MB, 915x683) Image search: [Google]
1458106323785.png
1 MB, 915x683
We need more abhumans
>>
>>46666394
Everyone becomes even bigger cunts than they are currently. Sisters of Battle get an update
>>
>>46673937
>Also make primarchs regular marine size.

You shut your filthy god damn mouth
>>
>>46666890
my small addition to this:

>Emps is healing
>the healthier he got, the weaker are Astronomican & Golden Throne.
>Eldars seems to know what's going on, because they want to stop Emps from healing as they believe it will bring some sort of galactic-scaled disaster
>They never bother to tell any human because they're arrogant pricks
>Necrons have the same goal
>Nids may or may not have this goal too
>>
>>46672364
>>46693032
>>46693141

THESE FUCKING POSTS
are actually very good.
>>
>>46674468
>Orcs are no longer semi-sentient magical fungus
>orc
>c
>no longer magical fungus
your gay
>>
>>46676396
>>46676484
>>46673554
This would be cool if instead of "chaos" these new demons were all about order similar to the angyls of the 50k fanfic except maybe less grim dark.
>>
>>46666394
Make the Lords of Terra into named badasses who get shit done, not a bunch of slacking off jerk-offs who don't do shit.
>>
>>46672778
Liberal here.

I like my fascist fantasy of evil drowning out the light to throw it into sharp relief the way it is thank you.

No one would actually want to live in the 40k universe though.
>>
id start by making the eldar less flimsy. They keep talking about how valuable eldar souls are and just throw them away with their shitty armour.
maybe make them very valuable models each with shields, holofields, invulnerability save, etc.
make their ships warp jump capable though preferring webway travel
make their tech generally a lot further ahead of that of the imperium or the tau, the Dark Eldar even moreso.
>>
>Tau network just one too many drones and create full on AI, AI and warp dickery result in an artificial being with a soul.
>engineers manage to control the AI revolt
>the Tau are now ruled by their own artificial daemon god.
>>
File: PgPmj.gif (483 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
PgPmj.gif
483 KB, 320x240
>>46666394
>Games Workshop approaches you with a proposition to reboot the 40K universe
>Tau are still diplomatic
>What do?
>>
>>46698908
>Not wanting to be an imperial guardsman
>Not wanting to die in a glorious last stand against traitor marines and chaos horrors becoming one of the emperor's heroes
>>
File: spacecash.jpg (130 KB, 1017x637) Image search: [Google]
spacecash.jpg
130 KB, 1017x637
>>46666394
Squats
Seriously! with all the re-branding gw does they cant think of a good name for dwarfs
shit these guys dont even need there own faction just put them in the IG along with Ratlings and Ogryns
Do it gee dubs I dear you
>>
File: lZKaElh[1].png (403 KB, 501x474) Image search: [Google]
lZKaElh[1].png
403 KB, 501x474
>>46698908
>No one would actually want to live in the 40k universe though.
>>
>>46698908
I would have loved to live in the setting during those few years where the Eldar would be depraved enough to gangbang me in public but not enough to torture and kill me.
>>
Remove HH series
>>
File: 1458761854477.png (488 KB, 990x810) Image search: [Google]
1458761854477.png
488 KB, 990x810
>>46702540
>you will never join an eldar pleasure cult
>>
>>46704981
Let's create one anon!
>>
There should be at least one craftworld that is Tortuga + Venice in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

The place where Craftworlders, Dark Eldar, Harlequins, Exodites, Chaos Eldar, Chaos Humans, Imperial Humans, Non-Imperial Humans, Demiurge, Tau and a hundred others all meet up to do business and get drunk together.

The only native eldar are the rich merchant families and the wraithguard enforcers of the minimal laws.
>>
>>46666890
This, and bring back the squats. This would pretty much make the setting just the right mix of grimderp and hope.
>>
>>46666890
This, gw pls
>>
>>46667588
Best post
>>
Have the Necrons become Allies of Convenience with the Imperials because in a world with crazy fucks bend on nothing but destruction the most "reasonable" factions have to stick together a little. I'm not talkin' BFF Anrakyr/Dante kind of shit, but they are both Empires that understand each other on a very similar level, since they operate in very similar manners. Unlike Tyranids, Orks, Chaos, etc.
I cannot speak for the other races, however, since Tau are indeed negotiable, but they are basically the polar opposite, politically, from Dynasties and Empires. Eldar are just fucking coocoo and I can't even put my finger on them. Dont even get me started on Dark Eldar.

The point is, if the Imperium had its shit together it would realize having possible allies underneath its feet that would be no threat to their expansion(Since Necrons dont reproduce, R.I.P. Pariahs)would be a good thing and would only serve them in the long run to stop sperging the fuck out. That being said, every sane Necron overlord should make it a point to come to terms with not being the cool kids on the block anymore. This is coming from a Necron player.
>>
>>46672778
Watermelon liberal here, you know 40k was made by lefties mocking the far (and less far) right? It's background is very working class Brit, and that shows.
>>
>>46670702
Underrated post.
>>
The four lost primarchs get unlost
>>
>>46666890
>Expect The Emperor is slowly healing and all humanity needs to do is hold out for his Imperial Majesty to Return.

This. A small crumb of hope.

And turn the grimdark down from 11/10 back to say 8/10, and allow a bit more humour in.
>>
>Cypher arrives at the Golden Throne.
>Forces his way into the throne room.
>Throws the Emperors corpse off of the throne.
>Takes his seat on the throne.
>Terra shakes with ungodly power
>Cypher IS the Emperor reborn.
>>
>>46666394
Counter with a proposition that instead we should make a new game, following warhammer 40k lore.

>we shall call it, Warhammer 41k Age or Emprah.
>it will be a super large scale 5k to 50k point battles.unit trays required. There would be new rules for magic, and flanking units, you can only move units in their formations. Also we have a new race called space dwarves.
>>
>>46709810
Cypher is what happens when one of the Emperors mortal descendants gets made a space marine.

The Star Child prophesy comes sort of true in an ass backwards sort of way.

Old Emperor was just holding the torch of titans fire until a new Emperor could take it.
>>
>>46692217
And in the Wizards of the Coast design lab
And in the White Wolf shithole
And basically everywhere else

Myfarog for life
>>
>>46709454
>>46709454
Plot twist.

Eldar are suspecting that maybe it is their god of the dead being born also.

A tenuous truce is made with the craftworlders.
>>
>>46688662
BUT HOW ARE WE GONNA STOP SOSHULISM
>>
>>46708166
Hell, Ghazgkull Mag Uruk Thraka is a Margaret Thatcher reference.
>>
>>46689244

Go to bed, Wallenstein.
>>
Make the setting slightly more noblebright, but ironically. Get rid of SOME of the retarded grimdark technology. The premise is great, it's just over represented. Emperor is either slowly regenerating OR slowly developing a greater presence in the warp becoming truly god-like
>>
I think this is sort of a thing already, but every first founding chapter can still operate as a legion, just not obviously

> Ultramarine successors will always come to help Ultramarines when needed, and will automatically allow ultramarines to take command of their forces

> Dark Angels unforgiven thing stays the same, as it basically implies they're still operating as a legion

> Imperial fists can do the last wall thing, but apply it a little more liberally than "only in defence of terra"

> Each Iron Hand clan is about the size of a chapter, if not much bigger, but generally operates independently

> Same deal with Space Wolves Great companies

Those are just some ideas I came up with off the top of my head, couldn't think of anything for Salamanders, Blood Angels, White Scars, and Raven Guard
>>
File: 1432715496981.gif (791 KB, 318x242) Image search: [Google]
1432715496981.gif
791 KB, 318x242
>>46714218
Holy shit you're right.
That's so fucking good and I would have never realised it, thank you so much anon!
>>
>>46715423
Salamanders, or their successors at least, spread themselves thin across the whole galaxy.

1 chapter to a patch of space with 10 inhabited worlds. 1 company per world to recruit from and garrison and call home. Every ~100 years they send representatives to the main HQ and draw planet names out of a helmet and that's the planet their company moves to.

They don't own the planets they rotate around. Other than the original Salamanders homeworld, which is holy ground, they don't own any planets. They believe that with the holy ground exception Space Marines should not rule. Post-humans wanting to be warlords was a contributing factor to the Horus Heresy.

But if someone threatens one Promethean world all Prometheans answer the call and shit gets fucked up.
>>
>>46713462
Yes. Yes. Yes. All this. Also Emperor/Isha please.
Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.